New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Fyraltari watches The Clone Wars (2008) for the first time

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    How close was the election?
    Single person election and a decision was made, as such the decision reached carried 100% of the vote.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Single person election and a decision was made, as such the decision reached carried 100% of the vote.
    And yet it was a lone swing vote that made the difference.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #963
    Titan in the Playground

How close was the election?
    Almost ended up with a hung parliament.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-02-18 at 08:35 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Troll in the Playground

Talzin's basically only hanging around on Dathomir to fix Maul when he gets there. She's actually dead as I understand it, the whole green mist thing is basically the Nightsister equivalent of being a force ghost, though it doesn't ever get explained to my recollection. It's probably difficult to manifest like that, which might be why she's around so little after turning into a cloud of smoke. As is I think she only appears in one more episode in the entire show, and it's not even a Maul one weirdly enough.

Spoiler:
    Show
    It's a Windu and Jar-Jar one, which is a very odd combination.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Everything about Darth Maul's resurrection makes me sad, from suddenly turning him into a Nightbrother out of nowhere to the fact that he's apparently an unstoppable killing machine with better prosthetics than Darth Vader even though they were built IN A CAVE! WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!
    sorry, but i had to do it
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #966

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Everything about Darth Maul's resurrection makes me sad, from suddenly turning him into a Nightbrother out of nowhere to the fact that he's apparently an unstoppable killing machine with better prosthetics than Darth Vader even though they were built IN A CAVE! WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!
    Everything about Darth Maul's resurrection makes me sad, from being resurrected...

7. - Top - End - #967
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Everything about Darth Maul's resurrection makes me sad, from being resurrected...
    I figured that part went without saying. Let the poor bisected man lie.

Although his death in Rebels was well done.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2022-02-18 at 12:51 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #968
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Talzin's basically only hanging around on Dathomir to fix Maul when he gets there. She's actually dead as I understand it, the whole green mist thing is basically the Nightsister equivalent of being a force ghost, though it doesn't ever get explained to my recollection. It's probably difficult to manifest like that, which might be why she's around so little after turning into a cloud of smoke. As is I think she only appears in one more episode in the entire show, and it's not even a Maul one weirdly enough.
    Generally, I'm fine with Talzin as a plot device rather than a character. Sometimes that's all the role in a story someone has. Talzin's role is to do inexplicable Force-spells that advance the greater Maul-Ventress-Obi-Won plot, which is one of the more important plots in the show as a whole and has central roles for some of its best characters.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

9. - Top - End - #969

I figured that part went without saying. Let the poor bisected man lie.

Although his death in Rebels was well done.
    Yeah, but I think I'm funny. Also, I disliked his death in Rebels.

Spoiler: I don't even know why I'm spoilering this.
    Show
    The poor original movie. Whoever owns Star Wars at the time will not rest until every last shred of it is stripped away. "Your father wanted you to have it when you were old enough". Nope, he didn't even know you were alive, and attachments are forbidden anyway., Darth Vader betrayed and murdered your father". Nope, same person. "Obi-Wan Kenobi? Obi-Wan.... Now that's a name. I've not heard in a long time... A long time." Except for, like, last year, when I killed a Sith Lord. Again.

I'll watch Kenobi, and I'll probably enjoy it (as I enjoyed Rebels. Even that part), but I'm going to mentally shake my fist at it like. crotchety old man the whole time.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-02-18 at 12:56 PM.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: I don't even know why I'm spoilering this.
    Show
    The poor original movie. Whoever owns Star Wars at the time will not rest until every last shred of it is stripped away.
    Agreed as stated before:
    I hear you, Star Wars: A New Hope is an incredible movie, at times I wonder if every other movie Star Wars movie is merely trying to tear it down.
    Which makes some sense after all if you what to compete with something but can't you can always try to cheat and hope nobody notices.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mostly i liked that it was quick and didnt involve a massive 20 minute lightsaber duel between two old men. Even if it did involve one of the most idiotic lightsaber blocks i have ever seen.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Except she misted just before Grievous hit her, so I'm unclear as to how she'd have died.
    Everything about Darth Maul's resurrection makes me sad, from suddenly turning him into a Nightbrother
    Speaking of which, shouldn't he be calling himself "Maul Oppress" in Rebels?
    out of nowhere to the fact that he's apparently an unstoppable killing machine with better prosthetics than Darth Vader even though they were built IN A CAVE! WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!
    sorry, but i had to do it
    How are they better than Vader's?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Generally, I'm fine with Talzin as a plot device rather than a character. Sometimes that's all the role in a story someone has. Talzin's role is to do inexplicable Force-spells that advance the greater Maul-Ventress-Obi-Won plot, which is one of the more important plots in the show as a whole and has central roles for some of its best characters.
    Characters as plot device are fine when they show up once to do one thing. Boba Fett was a plot device to separate Han from the rest of the cast. It worked.

Talzin however not only does she keep getting involved, but she does so in contradictory ways:

She wants to help Ventress kill Dooku so she loans her two assassins and sends them to him, when that fails she gives him a brainwashed mole in the form of Savage. And when he breaks free from their control, she starts helping him instead of punishing him. Oh and she could have killed Dooku at any time. I can accept that a prop is a tree, but it's harder when it keeps falling on the stage.

Also the limits of her abilities are non-existant so that undermines every situation she's in.
    Forum Wisdom

13. - Top - End - #973
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    How are they better than Vader's?
    Well he can run and be acrobatic on them.

14. - Top - End - #974

Mostly i liked that it was quick and didnt involve a massive 20 minute lightsaber duel between two old men. Even if it did involve one of the most idiotic lightsaber blocks i have ever seen.
    Totally fair, and I completely agree.
    Well he can run and be acrobatic on them.
    Dangit, I was going to say "well he can move faster than a nice walk".

15. - Top - End - #975
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well you see, I too think that I am funny.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ettin in the Playground

Talzin however not only does she keep getting involved, but she does so in contradictory ways:

She wants to help Ventress kill Dooku so she loans her two assassins and sends them to him, when that fails she gives him a brainwashed mole in the form of Savage. And when he breaks free from their control, she starts helping him instead of punishing him. Oh and she could have killed Dooku at any time. I can accept that a prop is a tree, but it's harder when it keeps falling on the stage.
    Maybe she is just bored, and amusing herself with whatever seems entertaining at the time.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, but he also had lungs that work fine.
    Forum Wisdom

18. - Top - End - #978
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That should matter a lot less for mechanical legs. Its not like his muscles need oxygen or anything to work.

19. - Top - End - #979

I'd imagine that the fighting Vader does requires more lung power than jogging for ten seconds, like to catch the ship getting away with the Death Star plans, as a quick example.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Titan in the Playground

Meh, I don't particularly care either way. It's a detail. It's like asking why a guerilla movement on the run could afford a better prosthetic for Luke than the Jedi Order could pay for Anakin.

Maybe she is just bored, and amusing herself with whatever seems entertaining at the time.
    That's a bad excuse and you know it.
    Forum Wisdom

21. - Top - End - #981
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Meh, I don't particularly care either way. It's a detail. It's like asking why a guerilla movement on the run could afford a better prosthetic for Luke than the Jedi Order could pay for Anakin.
    That's easy. A guerrilla movement doesn't have the 504th accounting legion to ensure that all purchases of equipment haven't had at least three levels of approval and followed all the regulations in the handbook. A guerrilla org is one step away from a criminal group -- and in fact, at least in Rogue one, several alliance members are criminals.

:Ponders an expense report and considers the alternative of a life of crime:

Tongue-in-cheek ,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

22. - Top - End - #982
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    A guerrilla org is one step away from a criminal group -- and in fact, at least in Rogue one, several alliance members are criminals.
    All rebels are criminals by definition.
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #983
    Ettin in the Playground

All rebels are criminals by definition.
    Depends on the laws - staging a rebellion against your parents by not eating your brussels sprouts probably isn't illegal in many places, perhap in a galaxy far far away violence insurrection against the legitimate galactic government is not illegal (although that would be an odd oversight in the legal system).

24. - Top - End - #984

Imean, they're insanely well-funded.

25. - Top - End - #985
    Titan in the Playground

Imean, they're insanely well-funded.
    Yet, I'd think they'd notice if their budget suddenly included commissioning an entire army.

EDIT:
    Depends on the laws - staging a rebellion against your parents by not eating your brussels sprouts probably isn't illegal in many places, perhap in a galaxy far far away violence insurrection against the legitimate galactic government is not illegal (although that would be an odd oversight in the legal system).
    A) Not obeying the Emperor is quite obviously a crime under the Empire.

B) Leia clearly states they were acting against the law in Bloodlines.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-02-18 at 03:13 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #986

Yet, I'd think they'd notice if their budget suddenly included commissioning an entire army.
    Look, I was just pointing out that the Rebellion could afford it. For the Empire, well, those prosthetics were put in by a noted *******.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Ogre in the Playground

Look, I was just pointing out that the Rebellion could afford it. For the Empire, well, those prosthetics were put in by a noted *******.
    I think Fryaltari thought you were talking about the Jedi order, who bought an army without even noticing.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2022-02-18 at 06:36 PM.

28. - Top - End - #988

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    I think Fryaltari thought you were talking about the Jedi order, who bought an army without even noticing.
    I thought it was fairly clear I was talking about the Rebellion, but possibly. Even then, though, the Jedi didn't foot the bill for the clones.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Troll in the Playground

Except she misted just before Grievous hit her, so I'm unclear as to how she'd have died.
    Same way as Obi-Wan, who dissapeared before Vader even hit him.

The idea seems to be that turning into mist killed her, but let her hang around afterwards and still do magick, whereas if Grievous had gotten to hit her she'd just be dead.

As for her motives, I think she mostly wants revenge on Sidious in any way she can get it, and to try and help Maul survive and rise in power. There's some backstory from comics which doesn't come up in the show, but basically Sidious approached Talzin to exchange knowledge, Sith lore for Nightsister magick. Talzin agreed and they spent some time teaching each other on Dathomir, but once Sidious had everything he wanted he left with knowledge of magick to bolster his own alchemy, kidnapping Talzin's son Maul in the process and leaving Talzin mostly with knowledge that wasn't particularly useful.

Talzin was obviously pretty pissed off, but there's limits to what she can do to Sidious directly since he's very powerful, both individually and politically (wealthy family, ties to the senate) and not tied to Dathomir like she is, so she had to wait and trust that the force would bring her instruments through which she could seek revenge. Cue Savage, Ventress and a returned Maul all of whom are more directly powerful.

Sadly none of this wound up in the show, which is a failing on the show's part, because you shouldn't need to read other material to get a show unless the show is explicitly a multimedia project. Not the only thing that got skipped for time mind you, but there's certainly a few entire episodes that could have been cut to make time for more interesting arcs.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

It's incredibly disappointing that so much narrative space got devoted to bringing back Darth Maul, while Grievous was mostly relegated to "angry cyborg who hates Jedi." His pre-cyborg backstory in the New Essential Guide to Species is wild: dude was born on the Star Wars equivalent of a pre-warp civilization being raided by slavers from Huk, a planet on the edge of Republic Space. He and his mate captured enemy equipment, kicked the slavers off their planet, reverse-engineered a war fleet and went on to attack the colonies that had supported the slavers during their raids, so successfully that the Huk government ran to the Republic for help against this "unprovoked" invasion.

He's basically a successful version of The Commander from XCOM who rallied his planet against alien invaders and led them into the space age out of sheer necessity. He should have been oozing charisma and force of personality. But no. Angry cyborg who fails a lot and hates Jedi.