New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Is is possible to play a pure warrior in Oblivion?

Playing through as a thief, I realized how difficult it was to play the game without magic. I'm curious if it's at all possible to play through the entire main storyline without magic, with at least the same level of difficulty as with magic?

Playing through as a thief, I felt as if I was cheating when I used magic.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Is is possible to play a pure warrior in Oblivion?

It doesn't seem possible to play through*any* elder scrolls game without a form of magic.

Everytime I ever tried a thief or warrior in Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim I always ended up forced to spend absurd amounts of money to guzzle dozens of health potions at once.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Yeah, it's possible.

But it takes forever to kill things if you accidentally get to high levels.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Yeah, it's possible.

But it takes forever to kill things if you accidentally get to high levels.
    The path of the insomniac leads to strange but powerful places.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

If you include alchemy and purchased enchanted objects as magic, then no, I would say it is not. While Oblivion doesn't have Morrowind's plot-necessary levitation, I think trying to play through the whole thing with neither potion nor enchanted weapon would prove too much.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I've done it. Hell, my first character barely used magic at all and Oblivion is the game where you don't need to make your own stuff, you can loot most of the good stuff.

Get Umbra as well, that thing makes the run easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Provided you have some way of healing yourself in the field - whether an inexhaustible supply of potions, or something more long term - I should think it's possible, if not much fun.

Something depends on whether you want to play reasonably, or resort to level-exploiting shenanigans like avoiding sleep. Or simply choose all magic as your primary skills.

I've certainly done it in Skyrim, although I usually make an exception for healing because it's just crazy not to.
    Last edited by veti; 2020-06-10 at 03:30 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I honestly feel like it's easier to play a "pure" warrior who gets healing and utility from potions and enchanted items than it is to play a "pure" mage who doesn't use weapons or armor. Then again, maybe it's not as true in Oblivion as in Morrowind.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

It's not quite pure warrior, but you can do really very well if you just park a basic heal on your cast key, and cast nothing but that.

Of course that will lead to spending a lot of time with Oblivion's melee combat, which was only ok back in the day and has not aged gracefully.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I've tried, it's possible, but as others have said, it depends on whether you allow potions or not. I daresay it even makes for a refreshingly different run.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I honestly feel like it's easier to play a "pure" warrior who gets healing and utility from potions and enchanted items than it is to play a "pure" mage who doesn't use weapons or armor. Then again, maybe it's not as true in Oblivion as in Morrowind.
    Pure mage works much better in Oblivion than it does in Morrowind. You just have to do some spellmaking and make some custom destruction spells and you'll be melting faces in no time. It basically comes down to debuffing enemy resistances into the negatives then hitting them with a low damage low mana cost nuke which you can easily have do 4x more damage due to debuffs. If you really wanted to go crazy you can get damage multipliers in the thousands by making 2 identical debuffs and casting them one after another amplifying the debuff on the target with each cast. Moral of the story, destruction is OP due to spellmaking in oblivion.

12. - Top - End - #12

You can do some crazy cool stuff in Oblivion from the spell-making mechanics.

Water Walk + Speed on Touch. Mounts don't have a flat bonus to speed, they use a multiplier (like x3 I think). So you cast it on your horse and now it runs across water at an insane speed. I've killed myself from collision issues this way, or just running off a hill that's now a ramp.

I think Levitation + Water Walk on Self allows you to jump across the lava in Oblivion, allowing you to cross onto islands that you otherwise would need an Oblivion Portal to reach. The benefit is that Oblivion is smaller than the normal world, so you can kinda use it as a fast-travel method.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    You can do some crazy cool stuff in Oblivion from the spell-making mechanics.

Water Walk + Speed on Touch. Mounts don't have a flat bonus to speed, they use a multiplier (like x3 I think). So you cast it on your horse and now it runs across water at an insane speed. I've killed myself from collision issues this way, or just running off a hill that's now a ramp.

I think Levitation + Water Walk on Self allows you to jump across the lava in Oblivion, allowing you to cross onto islands that you otherwise would need an Oblivion Portal to reach. The benefit is that Oblivion is smaller than the normal world, so you can kinda use it as a fast-travel method.
    Are you using a mod? Because I'm fairly sure there is no levitation in Oblivion.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Are you using a mod? Because I'm fairly sure there is no levitation in Oblivion.
    Sorry, might be thinking Jump. It's been a long while.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sorry, might be thinking Jump. It's been a long while.
    Neither Levitate nor Jump exists as a spell effect in unmodded Oblivion; you may be thinking of Fortify Acrobatics.

As to the ability in question, I believe you need only Water Walking or an Acrobatics skill of 100+ (including Fortify Acrobatics effects) to hop along across the surface of a lava pool in the game, not both; Water Walking lets you treat the surface of a pool as though it were solid, allowing you to walk, run, and jump along it as though it were normal ground, while an Acrobatics skill of 100+ allows you to jump off the surface of a pool that you jumped into if you time things correctly. Having both is useful since Water Walking allows you to get away with messing up your timing on the jumps while high Acrobatics skill increases your jump distance and thus means you don't need to jump off the lava as many times to cross a given distance.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Wow, is there an actual world of Oblivion? I always assumed it was a bunch of instanced dungeon-like areas that didn't interconnect.

Not that I played very far into the game...
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Wow, is there an actual world of Oblivion? I always assumed it was a bunch of instanced dungeon-like areas that didn't interconnect.

Not that I played very far into the game...
    So far as im aware, all the different oblivion worlds are separate interior type dungeons.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    So far as im aware, all the different oblivion worlds are separate interior type dungeons.
    Nope, they're all connected. You can usually see other islands in the distance if you look carefully.

5th Edition Homebrewery

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Nope, they're all connected. You can usually see other islands in the distance if you look carefully.
    Really? Because i know for a fact it possible to get the same world layout multiple times from separate portals. The Chorrol portal world in particular is subject to this, showing up both as a set world at the Chorrol gate and a random world from the random portals.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2020-06-22 at 10:47 AM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Really? Because i know for a fact it possible to get the same world layout multiple times from separate portals. The Chorrol portal world in particular is subject to this, showing up both as a set world at the Chorrol gate and a random world from the random portals.
    Ah, I misunderstood the original question. We're on the same page.

5th Edition Homebrewery