Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [DH] A Wretched Hive (IC)

Nuala will go and pocket the combi-tool as soon as there's no one watching. She knew roughly how it worked and it would only go to waste sitting here. It wasn't like anyone else knew it existed. Otherwise, using Nathias' borrowed authority, she'll requisition the ledgers from Gurner's office and the written materials from the safe so that they could read them over later. Getting to do this as if she was in the Magistratum or something was frankly very satisfying. If she can find any way of carrying the dozen pistols unnoticed she'll take them with her as well. Appearing that obviously well armed in the Cauldron might attract the wrong kind of attention. If nothing else they probably shouldn't leave them lying around.

Before they leave Nuala will have a brief check to see if there were any other business owners who may have been working here on the night of Gurner's death. Anyone with any sense who had heard gunfire would have likely kept their head down, but maybe someone had seen something. Maybe someone had seen a face? Perhaps the Magistratum had this information already but Nuala wasn't really in a position to ask them. Eventually she'll call up whoever answered the microbead first so that they could compare their findings.

Spoiler
    Show

So taking the guns and the written material. Some of it might be important.

Inquiry test to canvass for witnesses in the yard. Leaning on Nathias' authority as a member of the taxation and revenue bureau. Nuala is the hired help.
    vs. Fel 33 / 2
    (1d100)[46]

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

"Fine, then," Carys said, tense and testy. "I'm going mad."

Moving ahead of Jakes, she opened the door to the corridor and started checking the rooms beyond.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Nuala and Nathias

Nathias got his cab and drove it to Gurner’s unit. Together, they loaded it with the guns from the workshop, the ledgers from the upstairs office and the contents of Gurner’s safe. Trevelyan almost seemed disappointed that they weren’t taking more out of the unit.

Before they left, Nuala asked around about the night of the murder. Many of the employees at other businesses based in the yard remembered Gurner fondly, and mentioned their shock at what had happened, but it seemed nobody had been on site when it happened. The units were leased predominantly to small businesses that needed the industrial space, which all seemed to shut down early in the evenings. Even the self-employed tenants in similar workshops to Gurner’s said the older man had been a bit of a night owl. “It wasn’t really a business, Hax’s shop,” said a scrimshawer a few units clockwise of Gurner’s. “It was more like his little shed for passion projects. He was retired from a big factory, far as I know. Got a nice little settlement package around ten years ago, after a workplace injury, something like that. So he didn’t need the money. He leased the place so he could keep tinkering around for his own enjoyment. Sometimes he’d still be working when I was leaving at night, and he’d still be there in the morning when I got back in.”

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I presume you move the evidence back to the safehouse. Feel free for Nuala and Nathias to pick up there, if you like – think we’re just waiting to hear back from Bennosuke as to where and when Lyra will join up with those two.

~

Carys

The corridor extended from the main living area of the flat with no transition, although it may as well have been blocked by a door in terms of how little of it Carys could make out. Around a corner from the covered windows, and with the front door blocking any light from the hab-block landing corridor outside, all it took was Carys herself occluding space to completely drench the hallway in darkness. She could make out the barest glint of two doorknobs as she shuffled forwards carefully, paired like reflections on the walls adjacent to the far right corner.

A foul smell lingered, inflating Carys’s throat. She reached out to the door facing her, at the end of the corridor, and pressed on it. It swung open to reveal a tiny water closet – a toilet, and nothing else. It didn’t smell clean, but human excretions weren’t the stench that was starting to make Carys’s stomach turn. She opened the door to the right, and the putrid odour redoubled.

It was taking her eyes a moment to adapt to the dark.

Shapes began to take form in the shadows. To the left, against the wall separating this room from the toilet, was a small desk and chair. On the outside wall, a large wardrobe had been pushed over, blocking another covered window. In the far corner from the door, there was a bed. The blanket was cocooned thickly around a lumpen form.

Bile was starting to rise in Carys’s gullet.
    Last edited by Thragka; 2021-03-01 at 03:48 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Carys clasped a hand over her mouth "Throne of terra-"

"Mister Jakes! I think she's -"

Horrified, but unable to drag herself away, Carys stepped forward and dragged back the sheet by its nearest corner.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Carys

The rancid foeter sharpened. Carys pulled the blanket off the bed to reveal a slick jumble of bones and viscera, too many to belong to a single person, on a mattress soiled with blood.

The door moved behind her. A chill swept Carys as every hair on the back of her neck stood up.

She turned from the bed just in time to see the figure jump at her from where it had hidden behind the door. In the splt second before it was on her, she saw a hairless, emaciated humanoid, clothed in rags and tatters, limbs and fingers unnaturally long. Even in the dark, she could see its huge lidless eyes were uniform black, and its jaw opened impossibly wide. It lunged, trying to bite her with row after row of spindle-thin teeth. She stumbled back against the bed, half in instinct, half in terror, and its ferocious jaw only tore strips of fabric from her coat instead.

"Ms Aventine?" she heard Jakes call from elsewhere in the apartment. "I'm coming!"

Show
    Carys takes no damage in the Surprise round, but I think this warrants a Fear test with a -10 modifier.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The posturing bat recoiled as if she'd physically struck it. It gave another hoarse howl, and half-hopped, half-flew a few feet back across the pipe cluster. Lyra angled the mirror so the light still caught the bat, and this time it flexed its wings and took to the air, screeching.

The second bat pulled its face out of the open vent to see what was going on. Getting a blast from Lyra's mirror, it took wing too. The pair circled the roof for ten seconds so, but Lyra's constant assault convinced them that the prey they were after wasn't worth her attention. They departed into the hazy air, leaving her alone on the roof.
    Lyra allows her grin to spread across her face into an unselfconscious smile. She keeps her pistol at the ready, but crosses the roof to the open vent where the bats had been perched, and cautiously peers over the lip to see what the giant winged rodent had been after.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Carys screamed, and kept screaming. She managed not to fall into the horrifying mess on the bed, instead collapsing sideways as the thing snapped at her. She scrabbled for her gun, missing her coat pocket on her first and second tries, then managed to pull it out with shaking fingers - it caught on the pocket's lip and was tugged from her hand, bruising her kneecap painfully on the way down. Instead she grabbed the baton and pulled it out, clutching it artlessly in her fist, and swiped desperately at the creature as it clawed at her face.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Carys draws her Baton, giving her a ...4% chance to Parry.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2021-03-02 at 05:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Lyra

Examining the vent, Lyra realised the bats couldn't have been responsible for damaging the cap. Large they might have been, but their claws wouldn't have ripped through a centimetre of cast iron. The damaged merlon-like contacts which the cap should have sat on had been torn clean through, a splay of deep scratch-marks slicing into the pipe around them. An image sprang to Lyra's mind, of augmented talons directed by a raptor brain.

The shaft grew dull as it sank into the building, but with the use of her mirror, Lyra could direct the light down it. At the bottom, several levels below, Lyra could see a confused and terrified rat.

Show
    In case you missed the OOC discussion, Nuala and Nathias are looking to meet back up with Lyra. If she's comfortable telling them the location of her hab, they can join this scene here and now. Otherwise, feel free to move Lyra to the safehouse to join them.

~

Carys

The creature seemed almost indifferent to Carys's attempts to defend herself. Its inhuman fingers closed around the baton and pushed it aside, pinning Carys's arm back against the bed with a strength which was belied by its atrophied frame. She slapped and whacked at it with her free hand as it took a moment to regard her, its distended, slavering jaw morphing in a way that should have been biologically inconceivable to reveal concentric rings of pointed teeth. Ignoring her struggle, it lowered her head and bit into her forearm. A deep, sharp pain erupted as those terrible teeth shredded cloth, skin and muscle. The monster tilted its head backwards as it withdrew, and Carys saw its neck pulsate as it swallowed.

"What's going on?" Jakes was stamping heavily through the apartment. He pushed the bedroom door open, and then froze in place as he took in the tableau. A formless noise emerged from his throat.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

"Help me-!" Carys began to shout, a shout cut off by a screech of pain as the monster bit clean through her armoured sleeve. It was, by a considerable way, the most painful and horrifying thing that had ever happened to her. Her gun was dropped, her baton was pinned - she tore her arm from the jaws of the creature, adrenaline giving her strength, and threw herself towards the door.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can I make a Move action around the monster to clear my route to the door? If so, that.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Carys

The monstrous humanoid finished swallowing and snapped its attention back down to Carys as she threw herself sideways from it. She scrambled back from her haunches to her feet, baton still in her hand, and fell back to the doorway. Jakes, still immobilised by fear, was blocking the only way out.

The creature's maw seemed to split from ear to ear. A wet, rasping noise exuded from that dreadful throat. It reached at her with both arms and suddenly darted forwards, too quick to block. Instinctively, Carys turned her head. The monster's teeth impaled her cheek by her temple. Its neck writhed powerfully, like a hunting dog's; Carys's vision dulled on one side as its jaw separated from her, and through the pain, she could feel hot blood dripping down her cheek.

"Ohhhhhh," Jakes managed, finally reacting by backing down the corridor – and then, to Carys's dismay, turning, almost clambering around the furniture in the living room to get to the door out of Sola's hab, disappearing into the landing beyond.

11. - Top - End - #221

SamuraiGuy

Examining the vent, Lyra realised the bats couldn't have been responsible for damaging the cap. Large they might have been, but their claws wouldn't have ripped through a centimetre of cast iron. The damaged merlon-like contacts which the cap should have sat on had been torn clean through, a splay of deep scratch-marks slicing into the pipe around them. An image sprang to Lyra's mind, of augmented talons directed by a raptor brain.

The shaft grew dull as it sank into the building, but with the use of her mirror, Lyra could direct the light down it. At the bottom, several levels below, Lyra could see a confused and terrified rat.
    'Most peculiar', Lyra thought as she peered down at the terrified rat. Still didn't explain how or why the rodents were down there, though it did confirm her suspicion that something other than animals were responsible. As much as she hated to admit it, she might need some help with this, and it was worth updating them on what she had so far found. Lyra uses her vox to reach out to Nuala and Nathias.

Spoiler: OOC Reply
    Show
    Sounds good. Hope that works for you?
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

At least Jakes was out of the way now. Blood streaming from her wounds, Carys fled, crashing into the wall and tripping over furniture in her haste to leave the apartment. As she reached the front door she scrabbled to close it behind herself, hoping to trap whatever this creature was inside.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thragka View Post
    Nuala and Nathias

Nathias got his cab and drove it to Gurner’s unit. Together, they loaded it with the guns from the workshop, the ledgers from the upstairs office and the contents of Gurner’s safe. Trevelyan almost seemed disappointed that they weren’t taking more out of the unit.

Before they left, Nuala asked around about the night of the murder. Many of the employees at other businesses based in the yard remembered Gurner fondly, and mentioned their shock at what had happened, but it seemed nobody had been on site when it happened. The units were leased predominantly to small businesses that needed the industrial space, which all seemed to shut down early in the evenings. Even the self-employed tenants in similar workshops to Gurner’s said the older man had been a bit of a night owl. “It wasn’t really a business, Hax’s shop,” said a scrimshawer a few units clockwise of Gurner’s. “It was more like his little shed for passion projects. He was retired from a big factory, far as I know. Got a nice little settlement package around ten years ago, after a workplace injury, something like that. So he didn’t need the money. He leased the place so he could keep tinkering around for his own enjoyment. Sometimes he’d still be working when I was leaving at night, and he’d still be there in the morning when I got back in.”
    Nuala would be willing to take the rest of Gurner's gear herself but didn't exactly have the time to carry all the best equipment uphive. After talking to the other employees in the yard she doesn't believe a word of it. It wasn't that they were lying but maybe Gurner wasn't telling them everything. Everyone needs the money. So maybe he had debuts to pay or he was sympathetic enough to the Reds to want to work with them.

To Nathias once they were in the cab, 'You know you're very useful to have around.'

Once Lyra was the first to vox her back, 'We can meet you there? Did you hear from Carys?'

14. - Top - End - #224

SamuraiGuy

Once Lyra was the first to vox her back, 'We can meet you there? Did you hear from Carys?'
    "Haven't heard anything," Lyra replies flatly, not really yet concerned and asks, "not with you?"
    Show

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    "Haven't heard anything," Lyra replies flatly, not really yet concerned and asks, "not with you?"
    'No. I suppose she looked like she could take care of herself, but she didn't answer when I tried to call her.' Nuala didn't particularly want to worry about one of their allies going missing. 'Anyway, Gurner was probably a gunsmith, which might have had something to do with him getting shot. We're bringing the guns with us for what it's worth.'

16. - Top - End - #226

SamuraiGuy

"Sounds good," Lyra replies, trying to ignore the suddenly growing knot of anxiety in her gut, "I'll try to give her another call later I guess. For what it's worth, I've got a whole stack of files on that SOB Lem; probably more information in 'em than we really need. I'll show you when you get here... and there's something funny going on as well... but I'll show you that too once you're here."
    Show

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Carys

Carys was aware of the slender form following as she rounded the low table in the living room to get to the door. She wasn't sure – she wasn't focused on anything but the exit – but she thought it might be holding back from the light coming in from the hallway outside. Jakes was leaning in through the doorway, the prongs of his bionic hand gripping the handle fast. Carys tumbled past him, out of the apartment, and he slammed the door shut. His right hand fumbled with the key, but got it in the lock, and turned.

There was an eerie howl from the other side of the door as the grizzled barman staggered backwards. "Sorry about that," he said meekly, between deep breaths. "I ..." He trailed off

A clatter sounded from the hab. Jakes tensed, but the door didn't move. In fact, it sounded as if something was being pushed up against it from the other side. Jakes shook his head. "We should get you out of here," he said.

Show
    End of combat time for Carys.
    Last edited by Thragka; 2021-03-02 at 04:59 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228

Nathias

'You know you're very useful to have around.'

"Thanks," said Nathias without any sarcasm, keeping his eyes on the road as he drove the cab. Being unobtrusively useful was more or less the goal of his existence. It seemed the best way to have a long, stable and relatively comfortable life in this hive, especially when one had some secrets about his past.

"When we have a chance, I'll see if any of those guns is better than my old revolver. I get the feeling we're getting involved in something that'll make us some enemies."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the radio silence. My level of motivation has ups and downs these days.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2021-03-02 at 05:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer
    A Wretched Hive (DH) as Nathias Falkner

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

"We need... we need to call the Magistrates," Carys said, slumping against the wall. Blood was soaking her shirt front and sleeve. "What... what the hell was that thing?"

"It killed her... maybe more than one person... there was, in the bed..."

Abruptly, Carys bent forwards and vomited onto the ground at her feet as the horror of the situation caught up with her. She spat, trying to get the taste out of her mouth, tried to speak, and vomited again. It took her a few minutes to recover, and she wiped her mouth on her undamaged sleeve.

"The Magistrates. The hospital," she managed to get out. "And... I need to tell my colleagues about this."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think Carys's response here would be to throw herself on the support structures of the hive society - the police, the hospital, etc. I don't know how you're picturing that working - I like to think Carys is sufficiently comfortable and uphive to have "health insurance" or a GP or whatever - up to you how much detail we need to play that out in.

I wanted a fun Peelers-style name for the Magistratum but I don't think Carys is the sort of person to use that name.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    Nathias
    "Thanks," said Nathias without any sarcasm, keeping his eyes on the road as he drove the cab. Being unobtrusively useful was more or less the goal of his existence. It seemed the best way to have a long, stable and relatively comfortable life in this hive, especially when one had some secrets about his past.

"When we have a chance, I'll see if any of those guns is better than my old revolver. I get the feeling we're getting involved in something that'll make us some enemies."
    Nuala was pretty sure she already knew the answer to that, 'Depends on what you want it to do. It's a better gun but it's amateur work really. It won't always shoot properly when you need it to and it's the sort of thing you'd want to replace if you ever got anything nicer.' Might as well be honest at this point, there didn't seem to be much point in hiding that after she had opened the safe. 'That's an educated guess, but you can mostly tell to look at it. I know machines.'

'Did anyone official ever come see you about those IDs?' Maybe he didn't want to talk about it but she's honestly curious about Nathias' side business.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    I wanted a fun Peelers-style name for the Magistratum but I don't think Carys is the sort of person to use that name.
    Maggies?

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Carys

Jakes stood watchfully while Carys voided her stomach, scanning up and down the hab-block hallway. When she was done, he held an arm out to help her right herself. "Look, Ms Aventine, it doesn't take a coghead to know you're from lower, colder parts than this. That ... mutant, whatever it was, if it was in your neck of the woods, I'm sure the magistrates would smoke it out. But they don't want to be here, and I doubt the locals wants them here either. Look around you – nobody's come out to help us. In this sort of situation, people 'round here know to hunker down and look out for themselves. No-one else is."

He looked past her, grey eyes unfocused, seeing something very, very far away. "Whatever she got caught up in, Sola's dead now," he said wistfully. "I can't do anything for her. So I'll keep my nose out of it – and I want the greencoats to keep their noses out of my bar." He shrugged.

After a few moments, he picked up on something she'd said. His weathered brow furrowed like a hydroponic being raked. "Your colleagues? What line of work are you in, Ms Aventine, that's interested in this?"

Show
    The above isn't to say Carys can't go to the Magistratum – just Jakes's reaction to the idea. I agree that if Carys wants to find a hospital or a private clinic, she probably has the insurance to get treated.

"Greencoats" is mentioned in the core DH book, I think, as a term for the Magistratum; I've also been using "Constables" so far. But there might well be another even less formal name for them!

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

When they eventually get to Lyra's hab Nuala will go looking for the other woman who was presumably still on the roof. The building was likely fairly basic by the standards of the lower hive, but was still a lot nicer looking then the hiveskin. I never did ask her want she did for work?

The roof wasn't in direct sunlight but it was still hot and dusty. Nuala is used to worse though and will pull up the hood on her coveralls that had been originally made for those who had to work outside. To Lyra as soon as they meet up, 'So what do you need to show me that you couldn't tell me about over the microbead?'

23. - Top - End - #233

SamuraiGuy

The roof wasn't in direct sunlight but it was still hot and dusty. Nuala is used to worse though and will pull up the hood on her coveralls that had been originally made for those who had to work outside. To Lyra as soon as they meet up, 'So what do you need to show me that you couldn't tell me about over the microbead?'
    Lyra sneers ruefully, at Nuala's question. "Well I really wanted to show you all the files I grabbed on Lem. We know where he lives now, where he works, his family, what time he takes a piss... should be able to use it all somehow," she replies with a shrug. She pauses for a moment before pointing out the exhaust pipe where the top has been sheered off likely by some sort of machine and says, "But this is just a curiosity. Don't know if it's connected, but it looks like someone's removed the top of that pipe, and rodents have been flooding into the ventilation. My gut says they might be after something tasty shoved down there... like body parts."
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Nuala will look at the pipe to judge for herself. Maybe it had just rusted enough for a determined animal to force it's way in there. 'If someone left an arm down there there's only one way to find out. Do you think anyone will mind me climbing around in your vents?'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Nuala has a clip harness so should be able to have a go at investigating

25. - Top - End - #235

SamuraiGuy

"Not sure if you can go down the chimney like Saint Nixus," Lyra says flatly, "but even if you could, I don't know if you'd want to. If there is a limb down there, it's got plenty of hungry rats keeping it company."
    Show

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

'Then maybe we go in through your place? Normally I'd be ok with leaving the rats to it, but this seems a little odd to be happening now.' She gestures at the chimney. 'Unless you know someone who might want to lead a load of rats to where you live?'

27. - Top - End - #237

SamuraiGuy

"I can't say I don't have enemies," Lyra says, letting a grin return to her face, "but that would be a pretty inventive way of lashing out." Slightly more seriously she says, "We can try from my place, though the whole reason I cam up here is because I saw a rat scrabbling through my ventilation shaft."

She leads Nuala back down to her dingy and poorly furnished excuse for a hab, and takes her to the vent in question. If there are no rodents crawling through the duct, Lyra will begin the process of unscrewing the grille.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2021-03-07 at 02:04 PM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Carys thought it over. "We can't just leave that thing there. What if it kills someone else?"

She stepped forward cautiously towards the door. Her nose for news - her instincts that had made her such a good journalist - was smelling something strange, even beyond the bodily fluids in the corridor.

"The window was blocked. And it knocked something in front of the door..."

Her curiousity was warring with her fear. Very cautiously, she reached out and tried to open the door, very slowly.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Lyra's hab

The rat was still clutching the bars of the grille from the inside when Lyra brought the others into her home. It retreated into the corner of the vent when Lyra took her screwdriver to the stained iron. It began to hiss when she removed the grille from the wall. Lyra noticed it was holding one foreleg up off the floor of the vent, curling the paw under its chest.

~

Carys

"I locked the door," Jakes said, giving Carys a calculating look. He took the key from his pocket, and pointedly transferred it to his left hand, clamping it in his vice.

"Who the hell are you, Aventine?"

30. - Top - End - #240

SamuraiGuy

Lyra draws her pistol, turning to Nuala and says, "Hungry," as she turns back to eye the rodent.
    Show