New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [DH] A Wretched Hive (IC)

Nathias and Carys

"Some discrepancies? Of what nature?"

"Not concerning your diocese," Nathias said quickly, cursing his companion for forgetting the key part of the script. "It's about an independent priest that you might have knowledge about. One Leonor Rigg. He's been evading our inquiries, and so we are looking into other avenues to fill gaps in our files."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Lyra keeps her hands up, making no move to either draw her weapons or hand them over. Still grinning she replies, "Would it be safe to assume that we are in the right place then? Otherwise you would tell us we were mistaken and just send us packing... and besides, you probably wouldn't have brought us back here in the first place if the kabab vendor gave us bad info. Besides, it's really her you should be upset with."

She narrows her eyes, enjoying watching the woman squirm. "Look, tell me I am right, and we will happily hand over our weapons... in the name of new allegiances; though perhaps it would be polite to share with us who you are, since we've already done the same."
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Nuala followed Lyra's lead in putting her hands up. The other woman seemed far too comfortable in this situation. She'll wait to see how these three responded.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Diocesan House

"Mmm-hmmm," the adept said. "And what do this Father Rigg's revenue discrepancies have to do with this diocese?" He leaned back in his seat. "Which branch of the Administratum did you say you were from? I'm sure you have some identification."

Canteen Kitchen

The locals didn't seem to like the way Lyra brought up weapons. The cook raised the rifle to his shoulder, lining the barrel up with her abdomen. "You need to start answering our questions like you've nothing to hide," he said.

"Hand over your weapons now," the bald man barked. Both of the other two tensed, hands hovering around their midriffs ...

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Nuala is going to prepare herself to get out of the way if they were going to fight. **** Vane for getting her into this situation.'Course I have a gun. You ever been to the hiveskin? You ever see a scaldbat? Not to mention the mutant packs and all the people likely to rob and murder me just for the chance of a few thrones. It's for protection. I'm not the best shot and having a little gun doesn't make me a threat to anyone who can afford to carry something like that rifle.' She'll try to talk quickly as getting into a gunfight was never a good idea. 'If you can promise not to shoot me I'll very carefully give you my pack.'

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Canteen Kitchen

The bald man waved a finger towards Nuala and Lyra, and his companions stepped forwards. The shorter man reached around Nuala's overalls for her holster, while the woman cautiously pawed at Lyra's coat.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    As per initiative order in the OOC, Titia and Lyra have a chance to act before the NPCs can try to search them, but any reaction by Nuala will come afterwards. If you don't resist, they'll start removing your weapons.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thragka View Post
    "Mmm-hmmm," the adept said. "And what do this Father Rigg's revenue discrepancies have to do with this diocese?" He leaned back in his seat. "Which branch of the Administratum did you say you were from? I'm sure you have some identification."
    "We do," said Nathias, quickly flashing his forged credentials. "We're with the tax and revenue department. And as I said, we know Rigg's not one of yours, but you may know something about him worth investigating... Anything, really... Powerful friends of his, secret affiliations, and the likes. Anything that could explain unreported income."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Guess I'll be the one rolling the test. Really wish it were Carys.

Untrained Deceive 19 + 20 (forged docs) + 10 (ordinary test) = 49. (d100)[59]
    Fortune: (d100)[86]

Aaaaaah crap. So much for that plan.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-07-04 at 08:24 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm sure you're hoping to see justice done... and to see him out of your hair." Carys said, taking a quick look around at the man's desk. He didn't seem like the revolutionary firebrand. "A... strong personality like that, he's going to be causing all sort of commotion and that kind of thing has consequences for good honest people as well, right?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Charm test maybe? Assist on the Decieve? (1d100)[62] vs 46 for Charm
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2020-07-05 at 07:59 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Diocesan House

The adept was temporarily nonplussed. "What?" he managed. "Justice? Commotion? Is this some sort of joke? I've no idea who this Rigg fellow is!" As he lapsed into silence, Carys took the opportunity to scan his desk. From the look of it, the man's main role was secretarial. He'd been working on a ledger book before they'd arrived, writing details into some pre-printed columns in a blocky script. There were a couple of diaries in different colours sitting closed on the desk, in- and out-trays for memos, and a box of files visible in the open cabinet behind his seat.

From the adept's face, his curiosity appeared to be battling his affectation of prim decorum. "I'm sorry, does this Father Rigg actually have anything specific to do with our diocese at all? He sounds like an utter gadabout! If not, well, I'm really not sure how I could possibly help you." He shook his head, muttering to himself for another few moments. "Powerful friends ... secret affiliations ... Emperor on Earth!"

The man clasped his augmented hands together as he looked back up at Carys and Nathias expectantly, waiting to see if they had anything else ridiculous to say.

Canteen Kitchen

Nuala and Lyra had their autopistols confiscated in short order, the hivers keeping hold of them. The short man found Nuala's knife, placing it on the countertop to his right alongside an assortment of kitchen cutlery. With a strength Lyra might not have expected from the woman's scrawny frame, the ex-trooper's pack was wrenched from her shoulder. The hiver woman squeezed the obvious shape of the shotgun, and began opening the pack up to look inside.

The cook released a breath he'd been holding. "Throne! Was that so difficult?" he asked, lowering his rifle slightly. The bald man nodded to Titia over the intervening heads. "You too, please."
    Last edited by Thragka; 2020-07-05 at 08:39 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Lyra reaches over to release the lock holding the pack sealed for the woman, saying loudly, "Here. Yeesh, forgive a woman for trying to stay protected when strangers are pointing guns at her." She rolls her eyes and to the man who they had initially met, she says, "And on that note, now will someone tell us if we've come to the right place for Throne's sake?"
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Nuala nods in agreement with Lyra, 'You have to excuse us for being nervous for having guns pointed at us when you've taken ours away.' She's gesture towards the dining room, 'You realise the good people through there are probably going to be upset if they hear gunshots.'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    edited for spelling

12. - Top - End - #102
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thragka View Post

The cook released a breath he'd been holding. "Throne! Was that so difficult?" he asked, lowering his rifle slightly. The bald man nodded to Titia over the intervening heads. "You too, please."
    Titia held up her hands, then slowly so the cooks could keep an eye on her movements. She removed her hand cannon, the large gun a bit big for her, but the silence barrel showed that she used it enough to warrant modification. She handed the pistol to the nearest person, visually uneasy “I do want that back, it’s the only thing I have to deal with thieves.” Titia didn’t make a motion, or even look at it, but the knife she kept hidden in her boot she purposefully failed to mention, hoping to have some method of protection.

Spoiler: OoC Deceive check
    Show
    fellow ship is 47, trained in Decieve.

(1d100)[53]

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Nathias and Carys

"Well, that's a few hours wasted," said Nathias dejectedly, walking away from the Diocesan house towards his cab. "I'll hold onto the IDs, though; we might find another use for them elsewhere. Should we look for the others and see if they've had more success, or do you have another idea?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Canteen Kitchen

The big bald man's face softened, he still didn't look exactly happy, but a shield had come down. "You're right, we don't want to upset any of Hank's patrons." The cook rolled his eyes and stashed the rifle back under the countertop. "Go on then," he said to the big man, "talk to them outside. I've dishes to wash." He pushed the back door to the hive alley open. The bald man led the way out. His companions followed with the confiscated items.

From the folds of his apron, the bald man pulled a pack of lho-sticks, placing one to his mouth and offering the pack around. "Name's Lem," he said, as he lit a match and took his first drag. "Sid and Genya," he added, indicating the man and the woman respectively. Sid twitched a little. It might have been a greeting. Genya was still rooting through Lyra's bag, but briefly glanced up to acknowledge her name.

"Think Hank got a bit rattled by your Bell story," Lem continued. He shrugged. "Not that you don't got the right to be careful. But he's got his business and family to worry about." He shook his head. "It's a damn shame, but there are those who don't like the service he provides, looking out for the Emperor's faithful. Helping those of us who really believe in spreading the Light of the Throne come together. Some people only pay lip service to Him on Terra, talk the talk but don't walk the walk. I ask you" – and here, he was again peering down at them coolly and carefully – "what's to be done?"

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Nuala lets out the breath she'd been holding as it seemed like no-one was going to try shooting them. She will gratefully take a lho stick. 'Causing trouble for this place is the last thing I'd want. I've been hungry before. A lot actually. Everyone should get to eat if they need help.'

'As for the rest, I can't say I've ever had the chance to learn to be properly faithful. Mom only taught me the basics, but I know there's a lot wrong with the way people do things in Tarsus, so I'd like to be useful if you'll have me. Or you could just direct me to a decent preacher and keep me in mind if you ever need any machines fixed.'

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Lyra takes a lho stick hesitantly, eyeing Lem and the others with suspicion. She never lights it, but fiddles with it as Nuala talks. Getting back to the introductions she says curtly, "Lyra. Sorry for the fuss."

In reply to his question about what's to be done, she says, "Anyway, we heard that there was a group making righteous explorations in the name of the Emperor, and we thought we might be of service. We want to be of service for His glory."

Her cold expression cracks into a wry grin as she says to Genya, "Can I help you find anything?"
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, if you can't help us out on an official basis, perhaps a slightly less official one?" Carys said smoothly. "If there are no official records perhaps there could be... gossip? Speculation? On a personal level, what do you know about Leonor Rigg?"

It had felt undignified to use her less subtle means of persuasion on such Official Business but if it was necessary... Carys leaned forward at a precisely calculated angle, and rested a hand on the functionary's. "I'm sure you'll agree that everyone wants a friend in the administratum."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charm test for Feminine Wiles: (1d100)[70] vs 46

nope! even worse than last time!
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2020-07-30 at 12:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Diocesan House

The adept snatched his hand back from Carys, and sniffed. "I've already told you, I haven't the faintest idea who this Rigg is." He stood up from his seat, and indicated the door. "I assure you, the Bishop is in the highest esteem of the Administratum. Now I think it's high time you bothered someone else with your inane questions."

Upperhive Alley

"No," Genya said, scowling. She pushed the bag back into Lyra's hands. Taking a quick glance inside, it looked like all her belongings were still there – just tossed about by rifling hands. Her Arbites badge was face-down at the bottom.

Lem smiled, his eyes still warily flicking across the investigators, but he seemed to like what he heard. "Well, it's always good to meet good folk who want to help." He flicked some ash from his lho-stick, and nodded. "Tell you what. You go about a mile, mile and a half down the main road," he said, pointing the direction from the top of the alley, "there's a small cluster of abandoned warehouses that been taken over. We use some of the store rooms as a chapel. You want to meet some like-minded people, you come to the Shriveday evening service. I'll introduce you."
    Last edited by Thragka; 2020-07-31 at 06:52 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Thank you," Lyra says, her face softening as she gives the man her best attempt at a warm smile. She looks to her two companions to see if there is anything more they wish to bring up before departing.

After her quick perusal of her backpack, Lyra throws the bag over her shoulder, an impatient eye now on the individual holding their confiscated weapons.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Nuala will finish her lho-stick, 'Thank you.' Maybe an introduction was as much as they could hope for here, even if it meant that they'd have to listen to a few sermons. 'I'm sure I'll be back through here at some point.'

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Nathias and Carys

Nathias winced in second-hand embarrassment at the failure of Carys' attempt at seduction.

Well... I think that's the final nail in the coffin of this plan.

It was always poorly thought out, anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Bidding an embarrassed farewell, Carys beat a hasty retreat. On reflection there were some obvious flaws in her plan to seduce a vicar.

"So... looking for one of my colleague's contacts then?" she asked. She pulled her notebook out and flipped through the pages. "Sargeant Secum at the Magistratum is usually good for a scoop but this time round didn't give any information... I wonder if we could still get some use out of these administratum passes? Or ask around at the Blind Bishop for my colleague's downhive contact, who probably won't be blanking us but does appear to be missing..."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

"Let's try the Blind Bishop," said Nathias, unlocking his cab and getting inside. He had never driven anyone to the Blind Bishop yet, but his car's route-finder would point the way.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

"If you say so... the magistratum have the better Amasec but they keep it for themselves."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ready to move there when needed. I think Carys has the name of the missing contact, so here's a pre-emptive Inquiry roll looking for them: (1d100)[47] vs 46

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Nuala, Lyra, Titia

Lem nodded. "See you there." He exchanged a wordless glance with Sid and Genya. Stubbing out the end of his lho-stick, he slipped back inside the kitchen – closing the door behind him.

Sid laid the jumble of weapons in his arm out on the alley floor as gracefully as he could. "Mmhm," he said, and with that he turned and walked away. Genya said nothing as she followed him. Lyra couldn't help but notice the woman kept turning to look back at them – or was it specifically to look back at her? – before she reached the mouth of the alley and disappeared into the wider street.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You get all your weapons back, they've not kept anything.

It's mid- to late evening now for these three PCs – crowds are dying down as people prepare for the resumption of the working week tomorrow morning. Let me know if there's anything left to do today or if they have an immediate next move.

~

Nathias and Carys

Goldengate was the eastern end of one of the main avenues that ran from the Cathedral district all the way into the illustrious trading floors at the centre of the Goldenhand complex. Rather than the gigantic convoys of goods and machinery that Carys had seen earlier from her tram, this was a thoroughfare for the affluent and the aspirant classes. Sleek towncars conveyed the wealthy and powerful, whose daily routine took them from the hub of the Calixis sector's trade to the environs of its most important spiritual see; vast megabuses and clunky, noisy, fuel-inefficient personal tractor cabs were the domain of the office-workers and engineers, bleeding from this spinal column into the network of midhive roads threading the forests of middle-class habtowers where the educated adepts and specialised labourers kept indistinguishable households. Thankfully, from the Diocesan house, Nathias's cab was going against the prevailing commute. At times, Carys could watch through the window as they passed thousands of vehicles a minute, frozen in standstill on the opposite levels of the thirty-two-lane highway.

The cab trundled to a halt alongside a sprawling commercial plaza in the shadow of the highway, the human hubbub staging a brave defence against the meteorological roar of the road tens of metres above. The bar was opposite a stone statue of a figure in priestly vestments, with a tall mitre surmounting a partially destroyed head. The only facial feature surviving whatever vandalism or desecration had been visited upon the statue was a single carved ear. The atmosphere inside the bar was taciturn, almost morose. Neither bright lighting nor cleanliness could be very high on the patrons' priorities for a drinking establishment. Nathias and Carys seemed to be among the youngest of the present clientele.

The flagship libation was a tankard of rotgut, tasting a bit like soap but otherwise fairly inoffensive. The bartender was a man with uneven shoulders. His left arm ended in a crude mechanical claw of three equilaterally-placed talons, which handled the drinkware with a deftness speaking to long practice.

"I know the woman you mean," he said, when Carys mentioned the description Timon had given her of the skulker Sola. "Can't tell you much more than I've said to others who came asking after her, though. Haven't seen her in a few weeks now." There was a resigned sadness to his tone. "Clients of hers, were you?"
    Last edited by Thragka; 2020-08-04 at 05:23 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Nuala will retrieve her gun. As they were walking away, 'That could have gone better, but it could have gone worse' she'll say quietly. 'If we're going to that chapel on Shriveday we might want to bring the others with us. Strength in numbers and all that.'

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Lyra chuckles, though there is something deeply mirthful to it. She replies, "The way that went, we'll probably want to let them know ahead of time we are bringing extra people. They may just assume we are trying to start another fight." After a moment's contemplation Lyra adds, "Feels like there's got to be a way we can make the most of our time before Shriveday. I don't know if we want to try to stake out Lem and his companions, and see what we can find, or if there's another trail we can follow..." She lets her words trail off as she turns the puzzle over in her head.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Barbarian in the Playground

Titia thought on what she herself could contribute to the operation as it would begin, and besides her own skills at Navigation, she might not have much to offer "I could try to map out all the routes to and from the Chapel, incase we decided to sneak in or have to make an escape. "Titia offered, tapping her chin as she shifted her feet to be comfortable "Other then that, I can't offer much."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Probably a good idea. Better than nothing," Lyra says with a shrug.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Lyra chuckles, though there is something deeply mirthful to it. She replies, "The way that went, we'll probably want to let them know ahead of time we are bringing extra people. They may just assume we are trying to start another fight."
    'We're not that intimidating are we? Or at least I'm not.' Nuala asks rhetorically. 'I suppose if we want to keep an eye on our new friends maybe it's better to have someone who they haven't met before do it, but we can let the others decide that.'

She'll try to make sure there were no pedestrians around before speaking, 'If we want to come at this from a different angle we can see if there's anyone down here who might be upset with the sort of thing the Redemptionists get up to. They must have been fighting with someone in that gunfight that killed Gurner. I'm a little out of my element down here or I might know which bars to go to to ask. Or we could always go speak to Gurner's people instead and see if there were any witnesses.'

Spoiler
    Show

I'll ask this in IC as well

And in case it's useful, Common Lore (Imperium) to know a down hive bar where criminals might hang out
    vs. Int 34
    (1d100)[50]