New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Is there a reason lots of sites suddenly have invalid certificates?

Over the last couple weeks, I've been warned by my browser that a lot of sites I visited don't have valid certificates. Did something big happen recently that would leave a bunch of sites with expired or otherwise invalid certificates suddenly and unexpectedly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Is there a reason lots of sites suddenly have invalid certificates?

Well, there is currently a global virus pandemic going on meaning quite a lot of people are skipping work...
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Have you got any examples? I haven't seen any such sites.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I think it's just so happens that we recently went past 6 months. I have had similar experiences in January and March.

If a major thirdparty certificate validator so happens to have licenses expire around now and as mentioned with corona there are a lot of cracks for things to fall through. The one dude actually working might not have had certificate on his tasklist.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Google policy changes. Some sites are a little slow to adapt. Notice whether the address that generates the warning begins with http:// or https://.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Have you got any examples? I haven't seen any such sites.
    The most recent one I've noticed, and the only one I remember the address of, is knowyourmeme.com.

Most of the others have been news sites I got to by clicking on links in my Google News feed over recent weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Just went there and had no problem at all--tried it in both Firefox and Chrome, both loaded it fine with no complaints.

8. - Top - End - #8

Propagation of the new certificate takes a bit.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The last time I got a lot of expired certificates, I realised that the date on my computer had changed somehow. Correcting the date fixed the errors.