New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XL: Bloated Rules

The better question is, why isn't it 2nd Company?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Imperial Fists haven't had silver or black Aquilas for a long time. I'm almost certain that that's a 3rd Ed. thing, back when GW's stock models were 5th Company?
    Apparently I was thinking of really old Imperial Fists, or I should have said Blood Angels.

Same principal, and as you said, red-on-yellow doesn't look right. Whatever.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Since every model is assumed to be equipped with a "close combat weapon", does this count as a weapon for rules that affect melee weapons?

Does it gain +1 Damage when using the White Scars Devastating Charge? A squad of regular tactical marines with Damage 2 knives might do a bit of damage.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

It does, yes... and alas, they don't really. Anything with two wounds usually also has a good save.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Apparently I was thinking of really old Imperial Fists, or I should have said Blood Angels.

Same principal, and as you said, red-on-yellow doesn't look right. Whatever.
    I notice the Aquilas on the Imperial Fists are much less vividly-red than the Sergeant helmets are - more like maroon than scarlet.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

6. - Top - End - #276
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New rules update to coherency, designed to get rid of chaining.

Basically, in a unit of 6 or more models, each model needs to be within 2” of at least 2 other models in the same unit. Then, as part of the morale phase, you remove models not in coherency until only a single group of models remain.

So even if you form a chain with a group of 3 in a triangle at each end (as the models in a chain are still in coherency with two others), as soon as you lose one model you have to remove the entire chain.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

7. - Top - End - #277

Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post

Basically, in a unit of 6 or more models, each model needs to be within 2” of at least 2 other models in the same unit. Then, as part of the morale phase, you remove models not in coherency until only a single group of models remain.

So even if you form a chain with a group of 3 in a triangle at each end (as the models in a chain are still in coherency with two others), as soon as you lose one model you have to remove the entire chain.
    Well that's a kick in the horde. Now it takes twice as many models to form a chain, and you have to lose about twice as many models to retreat out of lines of fire. This is a real kick in the teeth for non-MSU units.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

In principal, I think the change is merited, as the enormous conga lines are time consuming and very... game-y. However, I'm not crazy about the coherency casualties. It feels like a very frustrating mechanic, especially if one player is really good at positioning line of sight such that they can cut a unit in half.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Have the rules for allocating casualties changed? Does the owning player still not choose how to assign the wounds, so you can just not break your chain?

10. - Top - End - #280

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Have the rules for allocating casualties changed? Does the owning player still not choose how to assign the wounds, so you can just not break your chain?
    We don't know yet-but I would guess that they are unchanged.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Basically, in a unit of 6 or more models, each model needs to be within 2” of at least 2 other models in the same unit.
    That's pretty interesting. You can still make chains and bubble wraps, but you'll lose efficiency and need more to do so. Neat.

Then, as part of the morale phase, you remove models not in coherency until only a single group of models remain.

So exactly how it works in AoS. It works out well because you really have to plan removals for your blob units ahead of time, which is interesting tactically.

Are there any abilities where player A can pick a specific model to remove from player B? If so, they'll be a premium for breaking coherency.

12. - Top - End - #282

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    Are there any abilities where player A can pick a specific model to remove from player B? If so, they'll be a premium for breaking coherency.
    Death Jesters. If they shoot a unit, you can choose which Morale casualties flee.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    In principal, I think the change is merited, as the enormous conga lines are time consuming and very... game-y. However, I'm not crazy about the coherency casualties. It feels like a very frustrating mechanic, especially if one player is really good at positioning line of sight such that they can cut a unit in half.
    What do you mean? They player controlling their unit decides which models are removed, so the only way to break coherency is if you do it deliberately.

Anyways, I'm glad for the unit coherency changes. Throughout 8th there had been some really stupid cases of breaking coherency and it not really mattering. And the long conga lines are annoying.

Also this is a buff to melee, it makes it harder for screens to operate when they have to be bunched up. Basically your screens can only cover half the space that they used to (it's actually more than half, but I'm not sure what the actual number would be. It's less whatever it is.)
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

14. - Top - End - #284

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    What do you mean? They player controlling their unit decides which models are removed, so the only way to break coherency is if you do it deliberately.

Anyways, I'm glad for the unit coherency changes. Throughout 8th there had been some really stupid cases of breaking coherency and it not really mattering. And the long conga lines are annoying.

Also this is a buff to melee, it makes it harder for screens to operate when they have to be bunched up. Basically your screens can only cover half the space that they used to (it's actually more than half, but I'm not sure what the actual number would be. It's less whatever it is.)
    I’ve seen elsewhere someone saying that a 1 2 1 2 formation would cover 2/3s the distance. A single line is possible with 25 mm bases if they’re in base to base contact, but that is still a significant reduction in the chain, and also only works until you’ve lost half the unit.

One othr thing it limits is the ability to wrap around an enemy unit in melee, as you need two rows of models rather than a single row in a circle.
    Last edited by Avaris; 2020-06-29 at 01:18 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Banned

Depends on the exact wording of removing models during the morale phase. If its 'until all models are in coherence' or similar, taking a model from anywhere ends up triggering a chain reaction unless you make it redundant at which point your spread is affected.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Depends on the exact wording of removing models during the morale phase. If its 'until all models are in coherence' or similar, taking a model from anywhere ends up triggering a chain reaction unless you make it redundant at which point your spread is affected.

Remove models until you're in coherency - so yes, removing models can lead to removing more models, and a clever chain runs the risk of the whole unit being destroyed.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

My confusion comes from the 'especially if one player is really good at positioning line of sight that they can cut a unit in half.'

You don't have to remove models from line of sight.

Also not necessarily. If you always take from the end of the unit, you should never break coherency as you remove the models.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Banned

My confusion comes from the 'especially if one player is really good at positioning line of sight that they can cut a unit in half.'

Also not necessarily. If you always take from the end of the unit, you should never break coherency as you remove the models.
    the problem is that the last mini in the line is only 2" away from 1 mini, not from 2. Its not AoS coherency; the "2 models minimum" bit means it screws over any because once the triangle at the end dies then it falls apart until the other end of the chain.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

the problem is that the last mini in the line is only 2" away from 1 mini, not from 2. Its not AoS coherency; the "2 models minimum" bit means it screws over any because once the triangle at the end dies then it falls apart until the other end of the chain.
    Yeah, exactly. Gotta place your models like a squad, not a conga line.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Well let's see. If you do a squad of ten in a line like so: 1-2-1-2-1-2-1, with the 2's being two models vertically aligned in relation to the squad. That means each interior model is in coherency with 3 models, with only the ends being coherent to only 2 models.

As you take casualties you remove from the ends.

Like so: 1-2-1-2-1-2 after 1 loss.

Which can become: 1-2-1-2-1 after two more losses.

It isn't perfect, and there is a sequence of losses that can break the chain, but it's decently robust. It'd be pretty difficult to hit that sequence to break the chain. (Specifically, I think it's 2 casualties, followed by taking only 1 casualty).
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

21. - Top - End - #291
    Banned

Well let's see. If you do a squad of ten in a line like so: 1-2-1-2-1-2-1, with the 2's being two models vertically aligned in relation to the squad. That means each interior model is in coherency with 3 models, with only the ends being coherent to only 2 models.

As you take casualties you remove from the ends.

Like so: 1-2-1-2-1-2 after 1 loss.

Which can become: 1-2-1-2-1 after two more losses.

It isn't perfect, and there is a sequence of losses that can break the chain, but it's decently robust. It'd be pretty difficult to hit that sequence to break the chain. (Specifically, I think it's 2 casualties, followed by taking only 1 casualty).
    However, that is a much shorter chain and potentially it cant hold 2 objectives at once, which is what the old lines sought to accomplish, therefore it does change how you position your models.

Obviously, players not being idiots, no models should actually die to broken coherence unless there is some tradeoff for the player losing said models; however it does alter how you move and position.

While I hated conga lines, this, the anti-wrap strat and the new anti-transport-wrap strat seem a lot like protecting the bad players who think there are "unfair" moves and dont want to suffer them.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

While I hated conga lines, this, the anti-wrap strat and the new anti-transport-wrap strat seem a lot like protecting the bad players who think there are "unfair" moves and dont want to suffer them.
    Sounds like they're trying to make armies look like armies, not school field trips.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Sounds like they're trying to make armies look like armies, not school field trips.
    Actually single-file movement hugging walls is a very common drill; it keeps you from taking fire from windows. Moving in blocks down the middle of a street makes 0 sense if you want things to look like armies. Lets just accept this is a game and stop pretending any of it has any similarity to reality please.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

However, that is a much shorter chain and potentially it cant hold 2 objectives at once, which is what the old lines sought to accomplish, therefore it does change how you position your models.

Obviously, players not being idiots, no models should actually die to broken coherence unless there is some tradeoff for the player losing said models; however it does alter how you move and position.

Very true. Though you haven't been able to hold two objectives for a long time in 8th. Though you could hold 1 and the just circle another so that it couldn't be taken which was kinda the same thing.

Anyways, I view this as more as making coherency matter again. Too many times people would break it without penalty in 8th.

The other two, I agree with. As frustrating as it can be when that happens to you, it's fair play nonetheless. (And I'll totally do it back when I get the chance.)
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

25. - Top - End - #295

NecromancerGuy

What’s interesting with the new strategems is that, while they counter particular types of play, you can only use each once per turn. So if you wrap two things, you still have an advantage, and even just forcing them to spend the command points is a benefit.

So it doesn’t really stop wrapping, it just makes it more interactive, and therefore more satisfying for the wrapped player: rather than a fully feel bad moment when caught out by it, you have to decide how to respond, which gives you agency. Given that the players most likely to fall foul of wrapping are new players, this seems like a good approach to me.
    Last edited by Avaris; 2020-06-29 at 03:37 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

What’s interesting with the new strategems is that, while they counter particular types of play, you can only use each once per turn. So if you wrap two things, you still have an advantage, and even just forcing them to spend the command points is a benefit.

So it doesn’t really stop wrapping, it just makes it more interactive, and therefore more satisfying for the wrapped player: rather than a fully feel bad moment when caught out by it, you have to decide how to respond, which gives you agency. Given that the players most likely to fall foul of wrapping are new players, this seems like a good approach to me.
    Wrapping isn't easy. The reason it typically happens to new players is because it's hard to pull off and relatively easy to defend against. It does very much feel like a gotcha, particularly since it typically involves a more technical reading of piling in, but the point I'm getting at is that it's hard to get 1 unit wrapped. Getting two or more is insanely difficult.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

27. - Top - End - #297
    Banned

As mentioned, wrapping isnt particularly trivial, more so when many transports can fly. If you let it happen then you are doing something wrong; having a pocket 'get out from a noob moment' card just feels handholdy, not better. 'making the enemy spend that CP' is a terrible argument as well; if they get enough use out of it to be worthwhile then they will use it, and advance their gameplan proportionately to then negate whatever advantage you got by wrapping; otherwise they wont bother. Of course, newbs that raged about will just overuse it and lose a bunch of models on 1s and 2s so "feel bad" will continue.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Well that's a kick in the horde. Now it takes twice as many models to form a chain, and you have to lose about twice as many models to retreat out of lines of fire. This is a real kick in the teeth for non-MSU units.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    That's pretty interesting. You can still make chains and bubble wraps, but you'll lose efficiency and need more to do so.
    Horde's dead, Jim.
    If there a way that I was even possibly on the fence for hordes being viable in 9th Ed., not being able to conga-line pushes me right off.
    Each unit also needs twice as many models as it did before, to have the same effectiveness. Any unit that was doing that, was already at max-size, and now it needs to double? Umm...
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2020-06-29 at 06:09 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

My mistake. I confused systems, and was operating on the assumption only models the attacker had line of sight to could be removed.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

30. - Top - End - #300

If Blast is going to kill hordes, why didn't Punisher cannons and the like kill hordes already? Seems like an overreaction.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein