New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Playstation 5 Games Revealed

So, the big PS5 game reveal stream happened today and a whole lot of games, most of them new, were shown off during it. Anyone have anything catch their eye?

Personally, the ones that stuck out to me were:
    - Spider Man: Miles Morales, obviously. Though I am a bit worried about this because of that Holiday 2020 release date - Marvel's Spider Man was a late 2018 game, so this seems incredibly fast to make a sequel. Either it'll be a much smaller game than its predecessor (which would be okay but might make me want it priced lower), or I'd be very worried that they're rushing it to make it a launch title, which seems like a very bad idea to me. Still, the 2018 Spider Man was a very good game, so I can't help but be very interested in this.
    - Kena: Bridge of Spirits was the surprise star for me. Looks like a 3D action/adventure title of the sort that we see very little of these days, with a mystical premise and lead character that could make for some very interesting gameplay. And unlike a lot of other trailers in the stream, it did show gameplay, which does look good! I'm hoping this turns out to be a launch or near-launch title, personally, it would go a long way towards convincing me to pick the console up sooner rather than later.
    - Project Athia, a Square-Enix game that is presumably an RPG of some sort. Short on details, but it has a female lead who looks to have magic powers of some sort, and pretty great visuals. Some of the few scenes in the trailer do look likely to be gameplay with the HUD removed, and look good for now. One to keep an eye on as more details come.
    - Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, a full-blown, big-budget new game for an older platformer series not named Mario or Sonic, which is pretty astonishing. I've actually never played Ratchet and Clank, but have long intended to get around to trying it, and this looks like a pretty good opportunity to do just that.
    - The Demon's Souls Remake - I haven't played the original, and enjoyed but am not the biggest fan of Dark Souls, but damn if they don't make it look good in this trailer. Might give it a shot.
    - Tentatively, Godfall. At a glance, the gameplay looks up my alley, as I love my action games - could do without the rap music though. But I also glanced over its Wikipedia page nd found it described as a "looter-slasher," inspired by "looter-shooter" games, and everything I've heard about the latter sounds less than appealing to me. This'll be one I'll keep my eye on but need to see in action/hear impressions from others before deciding if I actually want it, I think.

There were of course also some big name ones announced, like Horizon 2: Forbidden West and Resident Evil 8: Village, they just don't happen to be the sort that appeal to me. And then there were some baffling ones... I feel like I know exactly as much about Pragmata and Jett: The Far Shore after seeing their trailers as I did before.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Playstation 5 Games Revealed

I've read it clarified that Spider Man: Miles Morales is an expansion on top of the original game, not a full blown sequel. So, yeah, smaller is accurate.

It was also said it's a remaster, which is an odd thing for such a recent game in my opinion.

Edit: Also, I've really liked Deathloop's reveal trailer. More Arkane Lyon is always a yes for me.
    Last edited by Gray Mage; 2020-06-12 at 06:38 AM.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    - Kena: Bridge of Spirits was the surprise star for me. Looks like a 3D action/adventure title of the sort that we see very little of these days, with a mystical premise and lead character that could make for some very interesting gameplay. And unlike a lot of other trailers in the stream, it did show gameplay, which does look good! I'm hoping this turns out to be a launch or near-launch title, personally, it would go a long way towards convincing me to pick the console up sooner rather than later.
    Surprise star for me too. Loved everything about what I saw, and the style kind of reminded me of Kubo and the Two Strings. Very hyped to learn more about it.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, a full-blown, big-budget new game for an older platformer series not named Mario or Sonic, which is pretty astonishing. I've actually never played Ratchet and Clank, but have long intended to get around to trying it, and this looks like a pretty good opportunity to do just that.
    If you're planning on trying out the older games first, I'd recommend either Tools of Destruction or the remake of the original Ratchet and Clank. The PS2 games are (mostly) great, but they're pretty dated at this point. Tools is the first game of the PS3 continuity, and the remake tells the story of the original game with updated gameplay that's more likely to reflect what the PS5 edition will be like.

The Demon's Souls Remake - I haven't played the original, and enjoyed but am not the biggest fan of Dark Souls, but damn if they don't make it look good in this trailer. Might give it a shot.
    It looks gorgeous, but what's going to be important is the gameplay. Demon's Souls mostly suffers from being the first Souls game ever. It plays like a beta for Dark Souls, and there are a lot of ideas they threw at the wall which didn't stick.

My hope is that they're going to take the opportunity to rebuild it from the ground up in the same way Resident Evil 2 did. Keep the core elements like the story and bosses, but modernize the whole thing from top to bottom with over a decade of game design experience.

And then there were some baffling ones... I feel like I know exactly as much about Pragmata and Jett: The Far Shore after seeing their trailers as I did before.
    Yeah, those were...a thing. Jett in particular I have no freaking idea what it's about.

Of the rest, Stray caught my attention the most. Playing as a stray cat in a cyberpunk city full of robots? That's the most innovative game idea I've heard in a long time. I haven't played a pure Adventure game in a long time, but this might tempt me to break that streak.

The two Groundhog's Day Loop games also have me hyped. It's hard to judge Returnal's gameplay from the trailer, but the story beats appear similar to Kill Die Repeat/Edge of Tomorrow. I already had my eye on Deathloop, and it looks to be standard Arkane fare with a really cool twist. Dishonored meets Majora's Mask? Oh hell yes. The multiplayer invasions I'm less sure of, but you can turn them off apparently.
    Last edited by Rodin; 2020-06-12 at 09:40 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Demon souls was probably the most interesting one for me. I've never played it so will be nice to give it a go. They really do need to do more than polish the graphics though from what I know about the game so hopefully they give it the care it deserves.

Little devil inside was the other one that actually looked really interesting to me.

Project Athia and Kena are games I'll probably keep an eye on.

Godfall is looking less interesting everytime I see it, but I'll wait for the reviews.

Horizon 2 looks nice as did spiderman but I'm not really into open world games as much as I used to be.

Assassin groundhog day looked interesting but I think it's multiplayer based which is less interesting.

GoW2 and Elden ring are the ones I realy want news on though.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Assassin groundhog day looked interesting but I think it's multiplayer based which is less interesting.
    The assassin girl that hunts you can be controlled by another player, but also can be limited to AI only.

Also, read some more from Spider Man, it is a standalone game, but smaller in scope (not being a "true" sequel). Devs compared scope with Uncharted: Lost Legacy.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

There was an accidental reveal for Star Wars: Squadrons and I am ready to have my hopes dashed all over again!

Seriously, if we can get something anywhere near as good as the Rogue Squadron games and I'll be through the roof (Something closer to X-Wing is probably too much to hope for). Full reveal is supposed to be in a few days.
    Last edited by Dire_Flumph; 2020-06-12 at 02:05 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Horizon is a system seller for me. I won't be buying any of the other games announced, but I am damn ready for Horizon.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mage View Post
    I've read it clarified that Spider Man: Miles Morales is an expansion on top of the original game, not a full blown sequel. So, yeah, smaller is accurate.

It was also said it's a remaster, which is an odd thing for such a recent game in my opinion.
    Also, read some more from Spider Man, it is a standalone game, but smaller in scope (not being a "true" sequel). Devs compared scope with Uncharted: Lost Legacy.
    The fact that they've been confused over its status like that makes me feel like it's probably something that was planned as DLC for the original game, and got pushed into being its own thing on PS5 in order to have an appealing launch title. Which I guess I'm not exactly against, but does make me feel like I shouldn't be too eager to buy the system just for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    If you're planning on trying out the older games first, I'd recommend either Tools of Destruction or the remake of the original Ratchet and Clank. The PS2 games are (mostly) great, but they're pretty dated at this point. Tools is the first game of the PS3 continuity, and the remake tells the story of the original game with updated gameplay that's more likely to reflect what the PS5 edition will be like.
    I'm probably not going to, given how many games I have that I want to play already, but thanks for the recommendations. If I find myself in between games and in the mood for a platformer I've never played before, I'll keep them in mind.

It looks gorgeous, but what's going to be important is the gameplay. Demon's Souls mostly suffers from being the first Souls game ever. It plays like a beta for Dark Souls, and there are a lot of ideas they threw at the wall which didn't stick.

My hope is that they're going to take the opportunity to rebuild it from the ground up in the same way Resident Evil 2 did. Keep the core elements like the story and bosses, but modernize the whole thing from top to bottom with over a decade of game design experience.
    Oh, sure. I've heard people talk about how Dark Souls was a pretty big step up from Demon's Souls, and honestly I personally don't exactly hold up Dark Souls as any kind of gold standard for action games myself, so it's definitely important that they improve on it there. If they're reworking the visuals so thoroughly though hopefully they're also going to take lessons learned from the original and its successors and apply them, removing what didn't work and adding things that do.

Of the rest, Stray caught my attention the most. Playing as a stray cat in a cyberpunk city full of robots? That's the most innovative game idea I've heard in a long time. I haven't played a pure Adventure game in a long time, but this might tempt me to break that streak.

The two Groundhog's Day Loop games also have me hyped. It's hard to judge Returnal's gameplay from the trailer, but the story beats appear similar to Kill Die Repeat/Edge of Tomorrow. I already had my eye on Deathloop, and it looks to be standard Arkane fare with a really cool twist. Dishonored meets Majora's Mask? Oh hell yes. The multiplayer invasions I'm less sure of, but you can turn them off apparently.
    Eh, I don't think Stray's for me. Granted, they showed no gameplay, so it's hard to be sure, but the basic premise doesn't appeal to me. Deathloop has an interesting premise, but it lost me as soon as I saw it was a first-person shooter. That is just not my genre.

Returnal (ugh, that pun...) is in a strange place for me. I'd say it blips on my radar, but there's a few things I'd need to know before being sure I'm at all interested. The tone of the trailer felt very survival horror to me, which is not for me (I don't really like the horror genre in any form), but the gameplay looked more action-y. Third-person shooters don't ordinarily interest me much though, but it did remind me just a touch of Mass Effect, which I quite liked, so... eh. I don't know, maybe if the stars align it'll end up interesting me, but it's probably a pass by me.

Little devil inside was the other one that actually looked really interesting to me.
    That was another one that just left me scratching my head not sure what I was looking at, personally.

Horizon 2 looks nice as did spiderman but I'm not really into open world games as much as I used to be.
    Speaking as someone who generally dislikes open world games (and that's the reason I'm not interested in Horizon), I would nonetheless recommend Spider Man. It's basically a Spider Man version of the Batman: Arkham games. It doesn't really feel like an open world game, at least not to me - Spidey's mobility is so great that you can get around the city extremely quickly via web-slinging and huge jumps, so even if it's technically big enough that it would take a long time to walk from one end to the other, it feels a lot smaller than it is. And the side-quests aren't the repetitive, shallow, dull sorts normally found in such games, but actually pretty fun and engaging - at least as long as you like the core mechanics of web-slinging and combat, which I very much did. And the main story is very much a focus and quite well-handled.

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    There was an accidental reveal for Star Wars: Squadrons and I am ready to have my hopes dashed all over again!

Seriously, if we can get something anywhere near as good as the Rogue Squadron games and I'll be through the roof (Something closer to X-Wing is probably too much to hope for). Full reveal is supposed to be in a few days.
    Hm, I don't know how much a Rogue Squadron style game would appeal to me at this point, personally, but maybe. It would depend on how it was handled, I guess.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The remake of the original is...really bad though. It strips out every interesting aspect of Ratchet's personality to reframe him as some goody-goody dork, and actually changes map layouts for the worse, among a lot of other baffling game design sins.

Excited for Morales, so long as they don't kill off Peter to make it happen. Even if ti was a whole new game, I don' think 2 years is too soon for a new one; the heavy lifting of making the engine and map of New York is done, which would have been the bulk of work that needed to be done for a sequel.

Other than that, eh. Much like the PS4, I'll probably not be buying a PS5 until 5 years down the road when all 6 or so games I want for the console are released and the old version of the console is on sale.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2020-06-12 at 09:47 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Horizon is a system seller for me. I won't be buying any of the other games announced, but I am damn ready for Horizon.
    I need it... Damnit Horizon Zero Dawn was my favorite PS4 game and the main reason to get the console and now they have the sequel at launch (or almost) *curses the heavens*

And the cyberpunk 2077 which is the game I am currently hyping has been delayed to September... It will obviously have a ps5 version too. I was going to get it on September but can I wait and upgrade the system. Or at least wait and see to holiday season.

One part of me really wants to get a ps5 at launch grab an Horizon Forbidden West and a Cyberpunk 2077 and take a month of vacation time.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Edit: Also, I've really liked Deathloop's reveal trailer. More Arkane Lyon is always a yes for me.
    You and I both, my man!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    I need it... Damnit Horizon Zero Dawn was my favorite PS4 game and the main reason to get the console and now they have the sequel at launch (or almost) *curses the heavens*

And the cyberpunk 2077 which is the game I am currently hyping has been delayed to September... It will obviously have a ps5 version too. I was going to get it on September but can I wait and upgrade the system. Or at least wait and see to holiday season.

One part of me really wants to get a ps5 at launch grab an Horizon Forbidden West and a Cyberpunk 2077 and take a month of vacation time.
    Bear in mind that Horizon does not have any kind of release date right now. Only a handful of the games revealed in the stream appear to be definitely launch titles - Spider Man: Miles Morales, Godfall, Astro's Playroom, Jett: The Far Shore, Bugsnax, and probably Oddworld: Soulstorm (it said 2020, but unlike the others said TBA 2020, not Holiday 2020, so that's a bit odd). Most are presumably 2021 titles, some might even be later than that.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I didn't own PS4, but I've been thinking about getting 5 once it releases. I really do want to know more about that backwards compatibility, apparently it might not be all the games, just the more popular ones.

Spider-Man is the one I really look forward to playing. I've watched a let's play, and I really enjoyed the Arkham games so I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy this one too. The latest God of War is something I'd probably get too, it was pretty popular so I hope I could play the PS4 version even if they didn't immediately re-release it.

I've played most of the Ratchet & Clank games, even the PSP spin-offs which were pretty mediocre, so looking forward to this new title too. (I did skip out the tower defence one, bought All4One but played only like an hour of it)

Wonder when they'll announce the price, but by what I've heard it won't be over 500$. The digital-only version is likely cheaper, but if it's not that much, I think I'd just take the disc version, if only so that I'll have some machine to play blu-rays, and maybe some PS4 games.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Horizon Zero Dawn sequel is a huge lure for me to fork whatever amount that console costs... within reason.

I am surprised nobody here has mentioned Resident Evil 8. Capcom has been releasing really good RE games since 2017, with RE7, RE2 Remake and... RE3 Remake.

This one looks really good. Gothic atmosphere. Witches, vampires, werewolves?

It's like Resident Evil and Bloodborne had a run in.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Bear in mind that Horizon does not have any kind of release date right now. Only a handful of the games revealed in the stream appear to be definitely launch titles - Spider Man: Miles Morales, Godfall, Astro's Playroom, Jett: The Far Shore, Bugsnax, and probably Oddworld: Soulstorm (it said 2020, but unlike the others said TBA 2020, not Holiday 2020, so that's a bit odd). Most are presumably 2021 titles, some might even be later than that.
    Yeah one of my friends was all too happy to burst that bubble.

Which probably means that I'm back on the wait and see camp, I mean I will most likely get one once Horizon actually hits, but it's unlikely I'll get one before then.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

And don't forget that God of War 2 is probably going to be mentioned any day now. Well, probably not until after the PS5 drops, but you know what I mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Majin View Post
    I didn't own PS4, but I've been thinking about getting 5 once it releases. I really do want to know more about that backwards compatibility, apparently it might not be all the games, just the more popular ones.
    I'm pretty desperate for a PS5 since my PS4 is on its last legs. It was one of the early PS4 models to begin with and it's really starting to show its age. I regularly have database corruption issues, and the disc drive will sometimes spin up into overdrive. It's also an American PS, which makes it impossible for me to play any Blu-Ray discs that I buy here in the UK. And no, you can't change region - that's only possible for DVDs and was eventually added as an option for the PS4 Pro.

The backwards compatibility is going to be super important, as I hope to replace my PS4 entirely. It's not as urgent as it used to be since I picked up Dark Souls 3 on the PC after my PS4 ate my save file. And I don't mean "I lost a character". I mean I lost all record that I had ever played the game. Fortunately, Steam was having a sale at the time and I'm managed to pick it up on a deep discount.

There are still games like Horizon and Boodborne that I only have on PS4. If AAA games like those aren't supported I'll be very annoyed indeed.