New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil II: The Last Thread's On Fire, But It's Not Our Fault

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I like how the narrative spat out all of these soul stealing heroes just in time for the big war. Headhunter, Barrow Sword, Troubador. Almost like the narrative is trying to give them weapons to destroy Keter.

Unrelated, but I think there is a none-zero chance the Akua ends up with the Sword of Contrition. Squire looks like a red herring while the sword fragments are a bit of a smoking gun.
    Spoiler
    Show
    All Villains too. Below is using Cat and her Age of Order to clean up the mess left by previous big stars (Nemeshah, the Drow's Bargain, and one could say trying to reign in Praes as well). I wonder if the ratlings (who given the fact that the Drakoi were killed "among some mountains, along with some descriptions of Horned Lords, I assume that they are descendants of the rats that ate the Drakoi corpse(s)) are just going to be sufficently bottled up by the Drow raiding for Night against them.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil II: The Last Thread's On Fire, But It's Not Our Fault

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    All Villains too. Below is using Cat and her Age of Order to clean up the mess left by previous big stars (Nemeshah, the Drow's Bargain, and one could say trying to reign in Praes as well). I wonder if the ratlings (who given the fact that the Drakoi were killed "among some mountains, along with some descriptions of Horned Lords, I assume that they are descendants of the rats that ate the Drakoi corpse(s)) are just going to be sufficently bottled up by the Drow raiding for Night against them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Drow society was basically the same as how the Ratlings are depicted, so them being containment units for each other just makes sense. I assume that there will be a hybrid vigor effect though, where the groups of Drow+Ratlings cover each others' weaknesses and absorb the mono-racial groups.

I also glossed over that the Shonen character Drow are losing the war now. Considering that the Mighty are as strong as the strongest Named and they outnumber the Named by a lot this bodes ill for the mortal armies.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I also glossed over that the Shonen character Drow are losing the war now. Considering that the Mighty are as strong as the strongest Named and they outnumber the Named by a lot this bodes ill for the mortal armies.
    Spoiler
    Show
    While they can compete in raw power, at least for the highest tiers of Mighty, and have access to possibly a comparable variety of tricks with the different Secrets of Night, they have a shared weak point.. in that they're all using Night. It's like if you had a society of priests all learning different ways to apply Light and then somebody figured out a way to disrupt the basic means of gathering and forming Light - it doesn't matter how impressive your trick is when you can't use it in the first place. Named have an advantage here in that every Name and its Aspects are at least partially unique snowflake powers.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I do wonder if the drow being exposed to more cultures now will start to pick up sorcery again, or if they will just be Night focused with perhaps more variety of tricks, but working with the same, if versatile, powerset.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

New chapter and
    Spoiler
    Show
    yeah, if there was any doubt that this battle was important, its gone now. And with the dead king dropping essentially gates, its looking bleak.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show

On the bright side, Tempest hitting the field means we switch back to Cat next update.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show

On the bright side, Tempest hitting the field means we switch back to Cat next update.
    New Chapter is up, and you are not exactly corect.....

8. - Top - End - #398

New Chapter is up, and you are not exactly corect.....
    Spoiler
    Show

Nope. I wasn't expecting a Woe ensemble, though that's actually better here.

Though how we get a Cat PoV right after she takes an arrow through the skull is beyond me, so maybe one more Interlude?

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Though how we get a Cat PoV right after she takes an arrow through the skull is beyond me, so maybe one more Interlude?

Spoiler
    Show
    I want a chapter that consists of nothing but the words 'Ow' and '****'
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: PoVs
    Show
    It's not that hard? We got a PoV chapter after she got stabbed through the chest. Given how she only seems to come into Names after dying, it was kinda overdue.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Woeful
    Show
    "In the sky above Hainaut there were great rumbling sounds as power gathered, thousands of mages in the plains below unleashing their rituals at least. One after the other, three great gates above the city.

And water began pouring out of them."

.. really, DK? You're gonna try lake-dropping on CATHERINE. A person whose legend is built in part on using gates for various purposes, including very notably this exact trick. Who keeps musing about how everything would be so much easier if she could just drop lakes on things to solve her problems. The woman who inexplicably keeps managing to die her way into greater heights of power, who has a Name just waiting for a suitably dramatic moment to reveal itself, and who just got 'killed'. DK's army is about to run face first into Catherine's Triumphant Reveal of her Name.

12. - Top - End - #402

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Spoiler: Woeful
    Show
    "In the sky above Hainaut there were great rumbling sounds as power gathered, thousands of mages in the plains below unleashing their rituals at least. One after the other, three great gates above the city.

And water began pouring out of them."

.. really, DK? You're gonna try lake-dropping on CATHERINE. A person whose legend is built in part on using gates for various purposes, including very notably this exact trick. Who keeps musing about how everything would be so much easier if she could just drop lakes on things to solve her problems. The woman who inexplicably keeps managing to die her way into greater heights of power, who has a Name just waiting for a suitably dramatic moment to reveal itself, and who just got 'killed'. DK's army is about to run face first into Catherine's Triumphant Reveal of her Name.
    Spoiler: Unless, you know..
    Show
    She actually dies. Not likely considering who it is but DK is probably planning on this pronged attack to do her in... as one of his 80 plans.

13. - Top - End - #403

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Spoiler: PoVs
    Show
    It's not that hard? We got a PoV chapter after she got stabbed through the chest. Given how she only seems to come into Names after dying, it was kinda overdue.

Grey Wolf
    Spoiler
    Show

That's....actually a good point. Maybe it is time for her Name Dream Sequence to trigger, and near death experiences do go with that for her.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2020-12-11 at 12:07 PM.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler: Akua
    Show
    I'm guessing she copies the design of the Archmage and becomes a gestalt-ghost-mage as a solution to her lack of magic.

Spoiler: Cat
    Show
    Almost certainly gets her Name, which lets her control Revenants through the ability to give orders to Named. That is the anti-Keter power they needed to make winning possible.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler: Interlude: Woeful
    Show
    My guess is that the rest of the book is all of Cat's successors stepping up, which leaves Cat no longer juggling multiple hats for the final book.

Vivienne: Queen of Callow, Supreme Commander of Callowan forces (The Queen is dead! Long live the Queen!). I assume that she takes on dealing with Arthur as she will be his commander. My hope is that Vivienne becomes the Sun Queen.

Losara: I assume Ivah, since it seems to be the elected leader of the sigils in Cat's third of the alliance forces

First Under Night: I guess now we see if Losara (and I assume the name will change every time there is a new leader) is attached to First Under Night, or if First Under Night and the Losara priesthood are different things. I hope that this isn't also going to be that the Crows themselves are harmed. I'm not a particular fan of just having gods bleed out like that, and the loss of the Crows basically says that all of Cat's and others work with the drow is for naught, since the First General would not be good for the drow (even if it represents the pinnacle of the Tenants of Night)

I suspect Ishaq will become the representative of the Villains for the time being, which puts him in the position of supreme command. Though the presence of the other Woe may complicate that fact.

The Epilogue may be Cat's return to her final incarnation.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

OK, there was something bothering me, so I just re-read the chapter, and as it turns out, there are two details that I can't quite figure out:
    Spoiler: Question 1
    Show
    What did the Pale Knight say here? What was the consequence of this? Or this this thread just get completely dropped?
    The Pale Knight suddenly went stiff, turning towards, Catherine and in a strange voice spoke a single word to her in a language that Archer did not recognize.
    I'm guessing the language is Keter's original language, but... what was the literary point to this particular exchange? Was there a payoff to it?

Spoiler: Question 2
    Show

“You got a goblin’s speed right,” Adjutant clinically assessed, “but not the weight. Sloppy.”
    How did Hakram know that the goblin was a revenant in disguise? Is it because of Akua's warning that two were coming up the stairs? But that was up the tower where Cat was, not wherever Hakram's HQ is, right? Or are they one and the same? And if they are, where did the second revenant end? And if not, how did the weight give it away? How did Hakram judge the weight of a goblin from seeing its head pop out of a trap door? From the sound of the ladder, maybe?

Do forgive me if I am being dense of have missed something obvious.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-12-11 at 02:53 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

OK, there was something bothering me, so I just re-read the chapter, and as it turns out, there are two details that I can't quite figure out:
    Show
    What did the Pale Knight say here? What was the consequence of this? Or this this thread just get completely dropped?

I'm guessing the language is Keter's original language, but... what was the literary point to this particualr exchange? Was there a payoff to it?

Show

How did Hakram know that the goblin was a revenant in disguise? Is it because of Akua's warning that two were coming up the stairs? But that was up the tower where Cat was, not wherever Hakram's HQ is, right? Or are they one and the same? And if they are, where did the second revenant end? And if not, how did the weight give it away? How did Hakram judge the weight of a goblin from seeing its head pop out of a trap door? From the sound of the ladder, maybe?

Grey Wolf
    1. No idea.

Spoiler
    Show
    I believe he could tell by how they sounded coming up the stairs. The revenant didn't weigh the right amount so the steps were too heavy. You know when you can tell who is coming up by how they walk? Humans and Orcs would cause boards and tiles to creek and rattle differently then a tiny goblin.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2020-12-11 at 02:39 PM.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

Show

I'm guessing the language is Keter's original language, but... what was the literary point to this particualr exchange? Was there a payoff to it?

Show

Grey Wolf
    Spoiler
    Show
    Question 1 - no, this appears to have been completely irrelevant - there's no description of the Pale Knight following up with an attack here, and the next time it cuts back to the Pale Knight/Tumult fight Catherine is battling normally. I would guess Dead King possessed the Pale Knight here and said something to Catherine - if the next chapter is indeed back to Cat's PoV we may see what happened from her perspective. I kind of thought maybe he tried to Speak at her, or possibly cast something similar to a Power Word? If so she seems to have mostly shrugged it off..

(Could have just been 'Mistake'. Callbacks and cycles and whatnot, you know.)

Question 2 - not specified in text, but like TVTyrant said I would guess Hakram was paying attention to the way the ladder sounded as the Revenant came up it and comparing it to the previous reports he'd gotten from Lieutenant Tweaker. Especially when he's on high alert and aware assassinations are probable it wouldn't take very much to set off a 'nope that's wrong' response; Name senses are quite good at identifying that kind of thing when the Named knows they need to be watching for it.

19. - Top - End - #409

Spoiler: Next Update
    Show

Probably Hanno, knowing EE's habits of cliffhanging.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler: Next Update
    Show

Probably Hanno, knowing EE's habits of cliffhanging.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I hope not. I think that would break the flow a bit to much to cut completely away from the fall out. of this and then back. Cutting to the bridge crew as after the Grand Alliance responds to the Fall of the Black Queen could work well. What I am hoping to come out of the bridge crew is for Hanno's discussion with Raefella and Apostle to discuss why Cat's so furious with the two of them (I'm of the opinion that no one's actually explained it to them) an have that sort reflect on Cat's impact on the Heroic side of the Truce and Terms and then the Epilogue is Cat's Return.

Which I hope is one more soul searching quest. We haven't had one of those in a while.

21. - Top - End - #411

BlackDragon

Spoiler: Take this with a grain of salt, of course
    Show
    according to the comments section, the exchange with the Pale Knight was the Dead King popping in and saying "Mistake". Which, now that I think about it, would be something he would do, considering what follows. But does anyone notice that the Archer refers to Cat when she's in war mode as the Black Queen? Like, with the capitals too.
    Last edited by HolyDraconus; 2020-12-13 at 10:52 AM.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    Spoiler: Take this with a grain of salt, of course
    Show
    according to the comments section, the exchange with the Pale Knight was the Dead King popping in and saying "Mistake". Which, now that I think about it, would be something he would do, considering what follows. But does anyone notice that the Archer refers to Cat when she's in war mode as the Black Queen? Like, with the capitals too.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I figure that was the formation of the Name of Black Queen being killed for a second time.

Thoughts on Black Queen is that it would become a Callowan equivalent of the Helikean Tyrant in terms of a Name for royalty that would go all out for Callowan interests ("If the Gods damned m homeland, they will burn as well" is very much a Callowan sentiment, not just Cat.)

However in both cases, the Name has been killed before it fully formed. I wonder in this case because it was just about to be born, if it will be additional spark legitimency for Vivienne. Before, Callow was turning to Vivienne because Cat was losing support. This pivot might change Cat's legacy within Callow as being the darker side of the Callowan cultural zeitgeist rising to fight to the bitter end. Not saying that some of the previous Good Monarchs did not have similar legacy's but there is a reason that Cat is compared more to Yolanda, not Eleanor.

I don't know when the groove is that closely carved if it will be possible for Black Queen to arise again, but I have a personal hunch that with Vivienne being so close to Cat in terms of "No Named rulers" that she may make the Liesse Accords much more entwined within Callow's law to make a more constitutional monarch.

23. - Top - End - #413

Spoiler
    Show

Did....did Masego just destroy the Night, to stop Neshamah from usurping it?
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2020-12-15 at 12:31 AM.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    It sure looks like it.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show
    It sure looks like it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The drow are now without Night, and mortal.

They also seem to only have their abilities through Night.

I suspect that the response to this may be the rise of Named amongst the drow, but considering how badly they were doing even with the Night, I question how EE justifies the Northern front existing if it is truly the end of any form of the drow bargain with Below.

I guess I could see Cat pulling a last minute fighting retreat, but this is kind of brutal.

Granted I may be over reading into " Ruining a living godhead connected to it's people", but we'll see.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    The drow are now without Night, and mortal.

They also seem to only have their abilities through Night.

I suspect that the response to this may be the rise of Named amongst the drow, but considering how badly they were doing even with the Night, I question how EE justifies the Northern front existing if it is truly the end of any form of the drow bargain with Below.

I guess I could see Cat pulling a last minute fighting retreat, but this is kind of brutal.

Granted I may be over reading into " Ruining a living godhead connected to it's people", but we'll see.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming EE intends the coalition to win. This might be another sharp left like when Cat lost to the Sisters, and KotD's actual goal only comes in once Cat gets captured and the army smashed. That would give a good side reason for having Hanno leave.

This is very out of left field IMO. So out of left field I'm more "huh" then anything. From a military standpoint they lost the strongest faction of their army and a whole flank, so short of a side quest to get the Elves involved their victory has moved sharply from traditional military victory to banking on super weapons again. Like an angel corpse maybe.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming EE intends the coalition to win. This might be another sharp left like when Cat lost to the Sisters, and KotD's actual goal only comes in once Cat gets captured and the army smashed. That would give a good side reason for having Hanno leave.

This is very out of left field IMO. So out of left field I'm more "huh" then anything. From a military standpoint they lost the strongest faction of their army and a whole flank, so short of a side quest to get the Elves involved their victory has moved sharply from traditional military victory to banking on super weapons again. Like an angel corpse maybe.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I agree that ther could be really good pay-off from this. It's more that I find the breaking of godhood when it's an actual cultural icon like Sve Noc a really unsettling concept. If this was a completed work, ig wouldn't bother me, as I could continue with reading. It's the wait that makes it harder to read.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    I think the actual target was probably the ritual Neshamah was using to entrap Sve Noc, but as Sve Noc herself/the Night was the common link it was not possible to do that in a way that would leave Night undamaged - in this case the dialogue implies that what is going to be damaged is whatever Night uses, metaphysically speaking, to connect to people that aren't Sve Noc. But intent matters in the actions of Named and the ways Aspects manifest - if Masego was actually targeting Night/Sve Noc directly with this I would bet Sve Noc would not still be gods.

29. - Top - End - #419

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show
    in a way, its similar to what happened to Masego. He may have lost his magic from being separated from the Dead King but he still has what makes him,him; a Named. From how it was framed though it looks like the sisters could end up being a single sibling.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    in a way, its similar to what happened to Masego. He may have lost his magic from being separated from the Dead King but he still has what makes him,him; a Named. From how it was framed though it looks like the sisters could end up being a single sibling.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think it'll be that severe. I have always read this as a joint partnership to the point that there may not be able to be one without the other. Yes Youngest Night was with Rumena, but I think they are closer to dual personalities of the same godhead, rather than actually seperate individuals at this point. I don't know if they would still be functional in the same way that a mortal losing a sibling would be.

Granted, this might be me being in denial because that's just ****ing heart breaking to me.
    Last edited by Mith; 2020-12-15 at 01:45 PM.