New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil II: The Last Thread's On Fire, But It's Not Our Fault

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    What, he can't be a Goblin Hero? Going on the kinds of stories and acts his culture values he can absolutely be a Hero.. it's just a Goblin Hero would probably be considered a Villain in any other part of Calernia.

But part of the culture he would be exemplifying is 'hide stuff from the Matrons so they don't kill you for being too powerful', so.. I guess that still works?
    Further more, he has always been described as rather soft hearted by Goblin standards. At least, I have always read his perspective of "people died who he didn't care for much" when it comes to his soldiers as him trying to numb himself to his own grief over losing soldiers.

I am glad that Cat brought up the idea that the Sisters expand outside the Drow. From what we know of the Tenants of Night (at least how they are evolving now), I am not sure if they really are super Drow specific outside the idea of there are different rules for outsiders and insiders. Then again, I don't know what conflicts would arise for the Sisters to expand like that.

2. - Top - End - #122

Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil II: The Last Thread's On Fire, But It's Not Our Fault

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    They have implied that Names can change from hero to villain or otherwise based on circumstances. The various Independence names are shady at best when their country is fighting their independence wars, but if they own the country they would be heroes. Likewise the White Knight would probably be a Villain if conquering a country but a hero defending the system imposed by the conquerer (see Grey Pilgrim flashback previously.)
    I don't think that's quite correct. There are definitely some names that are always Heroes or always Villains. There's not going to be a Hero Dread Emperor or a Villain White Knight. But there are also names that are either morally ambiguous (Archer) or can be claimed by either Heroes or Villains (in just this last chapter, we discovered that the current Apprentice is a Hero).

Also, your specific example definitely seems suspect. In the flashback, the White Knight is calling on angels. Villains don't get to do that.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by NigelWalmsley View Post
    I don't think that's quite correct. There are definitely some names that are always Heroes or always Villains. There's not going to be a Hero Dread Emperor or a Villain White Knight. But there are also names that are either morally ambiguous (Archer) or can be claimed by either Heroes or Villains (in just this last chapter, we discovered that the current Apprentice is a Hero).

Also, your specific example definitely seems suspect. In the flashback, the White Knight is calling on angels. Villains don't get to do that.
    Yeah, that's what I said? The White Knight was putting down a rebellion by the Blood, which if it was active conquest would be villainous but instead is heroic because of framing.

In other words, there has to be some reframing that goes on because political borders aren't real. If the King of Bandits becomes the King, his role goes from anti-laws to pro-laws even if all else remains the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

One of the things the story keeps looping back to is that actions aren't necessarily good or heroic just because they're done by a Hero, just as things done by a Villain aren't necessarily evil. There's nothing stopping a Hero from doing things quite a few people would consider ethically questionable. Especially if that Hero is either not closely aligned with a Choir or if that Choir's personality lends itself to possibly shaky Greater Good-type justifications (Contrition, Mercy.. probably Judgment, but so far that's mostly been mitigated by their agent being Hanno, who despite his 'I do not judge' thing seems to be pretty circumspect about only asking for a Judgement in a situation where he already thinks the subject might have reason to be killed.)

Or they're like Endurance, which I can't really see how you'd go about promoting 'Endurance' in the world, so I would expect a Hero backed by that Choir to have a pretty free reign in what they chose to do.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

One of the things the story keeps looping back to is that actions aren't necessarily good or heroic just because they're done by a Hero, just as things done by a Villain aren't necessarily evil. There's nothing stopping a Hero from doing things quite a few people would consider ethically questionable. Especially if that Hero is either not closely aligned with a Choir or if that Choir's personality lends itself to possibly shaky Greater Good-type justifications (Contrition, Mercy.. probably Judgment, but so far that's mostly been mitigated by their agent being Hanno, who despite his 'I do not judge' thing seems to be pretty circumspect about only asking for a Judgement in a situation where he already thinks the subject might have reason to be killed.)

Or they're like Endurance, which I can't really see how you'd go about promoting 'Endurance' in the world, so I would expect a Hero backed by that Choir to have a pretty free reign in what they chose to do.
    I think "Endurance" as a virtue is the idea of not giving into despair, especially when there is such things as Providence.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

I mean another way of phrasing Endurance is "Survival". the weird thing about most of the choirs is that they don't say normal virtues like justice or compassion or whatever, the wording seems quite specific in what they are?

Definition of these words:
    Contrition: feeling remorseful or penitent
    Mercy: compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm
    Judgment:
    1. the ability to make considered decisions or come to sensible conclusions.
    2. a misfortune or calamity viewed as a divine punishment.

there is a double meaning with Judgment. Hanno can fit both definitions.

endurance: the fact or power of enduring an unpleasant or difficult process or situation without giving way.

seems defensive. which I think explains why we don't much of it in this story: because the Choir of Endurance would seem mostly concerned with making sure good continues to exist at all, with making sure that people stick it out and keep strong without giving into baser natures. thats hard to make an antagonist to Catherine out of, since she doesn't care about forcing that kind of narrative, so it'd just end up something like a Hero of Endurance coming across an innocent little town and see Cat's army come on the horizon and being training them to beat them back to keep their little town safe, Cat see what he is doing and knows the narrative of that story is that a villain who screws with the little town being trained by the hero will get their ass handed to them, the underdog principle is just too strong on this one, so she just decides to not attack that village and go around it or trade with it or something, thus it ends on an anti-climactic note of the Hero of Endurance preparing for nothing.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Re: Robber, and the potential Name thereof:

We know that different cultures have different Names, and Goblin Names were implied to be one of those secrets that the goblin secret police assassinate people to keep secret, weren't they? I mean I don't think anything was ever outright stated, but I seem to recall the story at least mentioning that Cat's not sure whether Goblins get Names or not, let alone what Names they get. It's... hard to imagine them being approved of by a Choir, though. Hmm.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2020-08-12 at 08:07 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

People have been theorizing about Robber secretly having a Name for years, but I think the most recent update disproves those theories - or at least moves them from "unlikely but possible" to "only possible if the author is lying about something". Why? Because Robber has noticeably aged, and Villains don't age.
    Last edited by InvisibleBison; 2020-08-12 at 10:18 PM. Reason: snake elimination
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

9. - Top - End - #129

One of the things the story keeps looping back to is that actions aren't necessarily good or heroic just because they're done by a Hero, just as things done by a Villain aren't necessarily evil.
    Certainly. But the particular form of that distinction is between Good (an actual faction in the world) and good (a moral judgment on the part of readers). You can certainly command angels while doing stuff we would consider immoral (such as, I don't know, brainwashing thousands of people into a crusade), but you can't do it as a Villain. Because, despite the name "Good", angels aren't on the side of people who are acting morally, they're on what amounts to a particular side of a philosophical debate.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    People have been theorizing about Robber secretly having a Name for years, but I think the most recent update disproves those theories - or at least moves them from "unlikely but possible" to "only possible if the author is lying about something". Why? Because Robber has noticeably aged, and Villains don't age.
    Could he be a Hero with the Matrons as a Villain caste? That would make the entire Matron form of government a claimant system, with Robber's attempt of less violent means of getting to the War Collage (gambling for his spot with other contenders) as a rejection of the tradition.

I am not saying he is a Hero now, since he never crystalized into a full Name, but it could be interesting if Robber comes to his own akin to how Cat has been described as a Villain with the heart of Above's agent.

Not saying that is a set thing, but it could be a possible way for that to work. It could be that even if he himself never makes a Name, he starts the grove enough that his legend becomes a Name. Names require a culture, and Cat could be said to have inspired a culture shift amongst the Legionary Goblins akin to what Amadeus did for the Orcs. Or it could be that the Reforms set the great overarching framework for the minorities of Praes to self actualise, and Cat has come through to drive those changes.

A catalyst if you will...

11. - Top - End - #131
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Latest chapter tugged on some strings. I enjoyed it but damn that cliffhanger. I felt light for most of it, then just started going downhill with a snowball's weight.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Except Robber is clearly a Hero. Think of how many times he's just 'happened' to be in the right place to save the day. That is some seriously Heroic levels of Providence right there.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Certainly. But the particular form of that distinction is between Good (an actual faction in the world) and good (a moral judgment on the part of readers). You can certainly command angels while doing stuff we would consider immoral (such as, I don't know, brainwashing thousands of people into a crusade), but you can't do it as a Villain. Because, despite the name "Good", angels aren't on the side of people who are acting morally, they're on what amounts to a particular side of a philosophical debate.
    Someone made a quite relevant point about this a while back.
    On how the comflict between Above and Below in part could be more accuratly framed as a Order/Chaos conflict.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

14. - Top - End - #134

BlackDragon

Read the most recent chapter 50. Its good. More building

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    Read the most recent chapter 50. Its good. More building
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll be honest, it sort have surprised me. Granted having Hakram remind Cat of her own idealism is a re-occurring theme in this series, but I had thought that Akua's position was obvious even if there wasn't the point of "don't just murder for convenience". But I guess Cat is farther down into the pit than I thought she was.

Of course, there was a different reading of that scene where Cat more deliberately held the scene to bring the issues into the open to bind the group closer to her chosen path (using the meta check of "not a Pivot but Important") but I think Cat was genuinely conflicted about this discussion for that to count.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

On the subject of Endurance, IIRC the rallying cry of their champion (the Stalwart Paladin) was "I suffer so others don't have to"*. So Endurance is not about just personally being tough, but placing yourself between others and that which threatens them.

* Which, it must be said, beats the hell out of "I will never be forgiven".
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2020-08-14 at 07:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll be honest, it sort have surprised me. Granted having Hakram remind Cat of her own idealism is a re-occurring theme in this series, but I had thought that Akua's position was obvious even if there wasn't the point of "don't just murder for convenience". But I guess Cat is farther down into the pit than I thought she was.

Of course, there was a different reading of that scene where Cat more deliberately held the scene to bring the issues into the open to bind the group closer to her chosen path (using the meta check of "not a Pivot but Important") but I think Cat was genuinely conflicted about this discussion for that to count.
    Spoiler: Chapter 50
    Show
    I feel she was conflicted about it, but was already leaning towards bringing Scribe into her service. I mean her first instinct was to say yes when Scribe approached her at night. But then she got cold feet and needed a reminder on why that was the correct decision to make.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler: Chapter 51 Oh No!
    Show
    Cat nooooooo! Don't take Hakram's name right when he needs it most.

19. - Top - End - #139

Spoiler
    Show
    It's not as simple as Cat destroying Hakram's Name. It's the question of whether Hakram can change himself to accept a version of his Name that's less focused on straight-up combat, and more on logistics. It's the opportunity for a pivot (maybe a change to his third Aspect?), but it's not clear if he'll take it. If he does, that potentially has interesting implications for Orcs as a whole. What does it mean if the first Orcish Named in hundreds of years is someone who doesn't rely on personal strength at all?
    Last edited by NigelWalmsley; 2020-08-21 at 03:39 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    It's not as simple as Cat destroying Hakram's Name. It's the question of whether Hakram can change himself to accept a version of his Name that's less focused on straight-up combat, and more on logistics. It's the opportunity for a pivot (maybe a change to his third Aspect?), but it's not clear if he'll take it. If he does, that potentially has interesting implications for Orcs as a whole. What does it mean if the first Orcish Named in hundreds of years is someone who doesn't rely on personal strength at all?
    Spoiler: Yes but
    Show
    Scribe has the same role, which we see here with Cat refusing to put on the boots Scribe left for her. Scribe filling his role is a real threat to him.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

"me, standing in judgement over others. Delivering it sword in hand."

I'm getting vibes of Pratchett's Carrot "personal isn't the same as important" Ironfoundersson, as he could have been if he had gone for the Ruler of Ankh position. In the words of Vimes (well, thoughts): "[...]it dawned on him that while Ankh in the past had its share of evil rulers, and simply bad rulers, it had never yet come under the heel of a good ruler. That might be the most terrifying prospect of all"

I don't think it is going to be anywhere close to it, but there is a vibe of "true justice is terrifying". Not to mention it'd be a kick in the teeth of coin-boy, if suddenly his counterpart is the one with the Name-backed justice mandate.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

22. - Top - End - #142
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I'm doubtful on the last one, because she's still going to be a Villain. Judgement and Justice aren't necessarily synonymous, especially for a villainous Name.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

I'm doubtful on the last one, because she's still going to be a Villain. Judgement and Justice aren't necessarily synonymous, especially for a villainous Name.
    Fair, but I keep thinking she's slowly moving towards somewhere halfway between Hero and Villain. I think I get that feeling from the fact that her devotion to the gods below is nonexistent beyond choice of curse words. But I accept that feeling is hardly universal. It wouldn't be the first time the text has led me down the garden path.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Fair, but I keep thinking she's slowly moving towards somewhere halfway between Hero and Villain. I think I get that feeling from the fact that her devotion to the gods below is nonexistent beyond choice of curse words. But I accept that feeling is hardly universal. It wouldn't be the first time the text has led me down the garden path.

Grey Wolf
    My personal bet is that her new Name is going to be something like the Arbiter of Names, or something like that. And that she'll basically become the new version of the Wandering Bard for the new age.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

25. - Top - End - #145

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    My personal bet is that her new Name is going to be something like the Arbiter of Names, or something like that. And that she'll basically become the new version of the Wandering Bard for the new age.
    Didn't she reject that though when she was with the Bard? Like I felt that the Bard was TRYING to make her into it's successor and Cat dodged that.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Didn't she reject that though when she was with the Bard? Like I felt that the Bard was TRYING to make her into it's successor and Cat dodged that.
    Doesn't mean she can't get a similar Name and Role - it'd just help cement 'On my terms or none' as part of her aspects/Role/preferred stories, which is already a very Catherine kind of sentiment.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

WB tried to force her into a music-based name that would have been WB’s antagonist, which would give WB the advantage since heroes usually win those direct connections. This would be a more generic “mover and shaker” role, IIUC

Grey Wolf

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Cat has been breaking Patterns of Three by recognising her mirroring with her counterparts and breaking those expectations that are built into those patterns from the beginning. She recognised how she has mirrored with various contemporaries over the course of her rise to power (Lone Swordsman and Heiress/Diabolist as both the champion of Callow, and the rejection of Old Evil, the Grey Pilgrim as the advisor/ mentor role at the Name level, and now at the level of binding and breaking the old monsters of the Wandering Bard/Dead King). Cat's central goal/madness that drives the power of a Name, hasn't really changed; it has just grown and refined itself into something that the current Pattern doesn't really contain.

It would be interesting if the response is to make her the new equivalent of the Wandering Bard, but as single immortal creature, rather than a Name that just possesses new bodies with a purpose and Name dream so strong that it essentially is a continuous stream of consciousness.

Edit: Musing/probably wrong thought paths on the Drow

I noted earlier that it is interesting that the Crows were in a position of being able to gain converts (keeping Cat as a semi exception; her role is at least semi unique). I do wonder what the cost is with branching outside of the Drow, since strife/growth from conflict is a part of the Tenants. Granted, we do not know those Tenants in full, but considering how Cat has created a shift in perspective on the tenants with the democratising of the sigils, what keeps sigils from being mixed race? Drow already do not think in terms of family/romance ties, but only in platonic ideals of a tribe as a focus on a single goal.

Really, I just wonder if the end of the book will see the Callowan House Insurgent rebrand as the House of Morning. There are long shadows at dawn and bright stars at Twilight.

This may require Mirror Knight/Dawn Strider to make some reparation work to the drow.
    Last edited by Mith; 2020-08-26 at 12:17 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Firbolg in the Playground

My theory? Chess motif.

The Black Knight moves in unique ways to take away key pieces. He's Below's Hatchetman.

The Black Queen moves with overwhelming force in any direction she's needed, and can take on most any piece.

My theory is that she'll be the named Black Queen, charged to stand judgement over the board. If someone is at risk of breaking it, she is their judge, jury, and executioner. Whether they're summoning angels or demons, be they choir or god.

For bonus points, she can already move as a Bishop, courtesy the Crows. All she needs is for her name to let her move as a Rook. For double bonus points, it was implied that the White Knight was designed to hunt the Black Queen. Which... well, again, chess.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Cat has been breaking Patterns of Three by recognising her mirroring with her counterparts and breaking those expectations that are built into those patterns from the beginning. She recognised how she has mirrored with various contemporaries over the course of her rise to power (Lone Swordsman and Heiress/Diabolist as both the champion of Callow, and the rejection of Old Evil, the Grey Pilgrim as the advisor/ mentor role at the Name level, and now at the level of binding and breaking the old monsters of the Wandering Bard/Dead King). Cat's central goal/madness that drives the power of a Name, hasn't really changed; it has just grown and refined itself into something that the current Pattern doesn't really contain.

It would be interesting if the response is to make her the new equivalent of the Wandering Bard, but as single immortal creature, rather than a Name that just possesses new bodies with a purpose and Name dream so strong that it essentially is a continuous stream of consciousness.

Edit: Musing/probably wrong thought paths on the Drow

I noted earlier that it is interesting that the Crows were in a position of being able to gain converts (keeping Cat as a semi exception; her role is at least semi unique). I do wonder what the cost is with branching outside of the Drow, since strife/growth from conflict is a part of the Tenants. Granted, we do not know those Tenants in full, but considering how Cat has created a shift in perspective on the tenants with the democratising of the sigils, what keeps sigils from being mixed race? Drow already do not think in terms of family/romance ties, but only in platonic ideals of a tribe as a focus on a single goal.

Really, I just wonder if the end of the book will see the Callowan House Insurgent rebrand as the House of Morning. There are long shadows at dawn and bright stars at Twilight.

This may require Mirror Knight/Dawn Strider to make some reparation work to the drow.
    I imagine the fact that Drow live very long lives, and need to be killed to collect their Night is a factor. Imagine if Goblins died of old age or accidents regularly and Night just bled out of the system.