New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: There Will Be Another Superhero Movie That Will Get Nominated For Best Pictures A

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Did you mean to quote me? I didn't say they weren't. I just said that even the comic books aren't even canon to the comic books.
    Yes I quote you as well. Ok.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: There Will Be Another Superhero Movie That Will Get Nominated For Best Pictures A

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Yes I quote you as well. Ok.
    There was no question that you quoted me. I asked if you meant to. Because, in your response, you did not say anything relevant to what I said.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

There was no question that you quoted me. I asked if you meant to. Because, in your response, you did not say anything relevant to what I said.
    Well, I thought I did.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGirl

I believe you mean Captain Lou Albano. And I will go to my grave maintaining that Bob Hoskins and John Leguizzamo were fantastic picks for Mario and Luigi, if only they had been given a good script to work with. Casting was not one of the problems with that movie.
    I didn't say that Bob Hoskins and John Leguizzamo weren't excellent choices. They absolutely were.

But when I was a child, sitting in a movie theater, my reaction was still, "Hey! That isn't Mario and Luigi! What gives?"

This was presumably before I developed the concept that different actors could portray the same character. Or that there could be different interpretations of the same character.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

5. - Top - End - #65

Quote Originally Posted by BeerMug Paladin View Post
    I didn't say that Bob Hoskins and John Leguizzamo weren't excellent choices. They absolutely were.

But when I was a child, sitting in a movie theater, my reaction was still, "Hey! That isn't Mario and Luigi! What gives?"

This was presumably before I developed the concept that different actors could portray the same character. Or that there could be different interpretations of the same character.
    Sorry, didn't mean to imply anything on your end. It's just a hill that I like to die on, and I point it out every time it even tangentially comes up. Which isn't all that often. It was more of an "and in addition..." than anything else.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-06-18 at 08:34 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

Non-canon to the comic books. I thought it was pretty obvious.
    I refuse to believe that any movies/TV shows are in the same canon as books/comics/plays/music. Even if some wannabe film studio executive says they are part of the same continuity, I'll treat the film/TV universe as separate from other media.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I refuse to believe that any movies/TV shows are in the same canon as books/comics/plays/music. Even if some wannabe film studio executive says they are part of the same continuity, I'll treat the film/TV universe as separate from other media.
    Believe what you want to believe. I'm just speaking the truth about pop culture.

8. - Top - End - #68

Believe what you want to believe. I'm just speaking the truth about pop culture.
    But you're not; you're mistaken. The comics have been around for decades upon decades, and there is no single "comics continuity". That's what I've been saying. If there is one, single "comics continuity", then Batman is a geriatric, for example. He is not, so we can safely say that there is no "comics continuity".

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

But you're not; you're mistaken. The comics have been around for decades upon decades, and there is no single "comics continuity". That's what I've been saying. If there is one, single "comics continuity", then Batman is a geriatric, for example. He is not, so we can safely say that there is no "comics continuity".
    Whatever. Moving on.

10. - Top - End - #70

Whatever. Moving on.
    Your post is now officially non-canon!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Whatever. Moving on.
    That is probably best.

I know there will be another superhero movie that will get nominated for Best Picture And Win The Oscars. I know that Black Panther won a couple of awards but didn't win for Best Pictures. Let say by any Superhero Movie get nominated for Best Pictures and win. It'll revolutionize the greatness of the Superhero movie genre. What do you think of this topic?
    Pertaining to the topic, it's a slight variation on a half dozen previous ones. Pertaining to if I think it will revolutionize the greatness of the Superhero movie genre, I'm not sure. The Superhero movie genre has a massive gravity of its own, and I'm not sure becoming an awards darling would actually change that. Despite a massive amount of inertia, SH movies do show quite a bit of nimbleness, bopping about from PG-13-level kid-friendly fare to viscera-splashing R-rated blood orgies or going from brooding seriousness to lighthearted semi-comedy as the market winds shift*. So it is possible that shifting in response to a Best Pictures nomination would allow the genre to capture the current viewing-public-desires better than it otherwise would have, but there is no guarantee.
    *not always correctly, as Batman 2 and 4 or BvS highlight.

What I'd worry most about is that, in an effort to get a second Best Pictures nomination, that all the studios would put out nothing but <whatever specifically got them the first one> style SH movies, and that that might disenfranchise the SH audience that makes them popular in the first place. Subversions require a norm to subvert, and that subversion becomes the norm, then you've just changed the nature of the thing. As much as I think (as an example) people loved The Joker, I think one of the major reasons is that it was a new and different take, and it's not actually what people want all SH movies to be like in the future.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2020-06-19 at 12:55 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Mattys View Post
    Also, "Joker" is definitely NOT a superhero movie. The protagonist is not a superhero nor a supervillain. There's nothing super about "Joker"'s Joker. It is a villain origin story but it doesn't qualify for the superhero genre. The only super thing about Joker is its comics background, but the movie in itself is no different than, say, "Falling Down" by Joel Schumacher.
    Yup, Joker wants to be serious, and, since superheroes are inherently silly, it simply removes them from the equation.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

FWIW, I don't think that a superhero movie winning an Oscar would revolutionize the genre. Also, even if the popularity of superhero movies is about to dip, that doesn't mean that some future superhero movie can't win. After all, within a period of 3 years, Dances With Wolves and Unforgiven won Oscars, way, way, after the popularity of Westerns had collapsed, so a genre doesn't have to currently be popular for a picture in that genre to win an Oscar. And those movies didn't revolutionize or even revitalize Westerns to any great extent.