New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Life on a world made up of islands

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    [I]
    This inspires me to find a local used bookstore and rummage for this book. I've heard of it for many years, and now feels like a good time to finally read it.
    Don't forget your local library. They may have it, or as an e-book.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The OP is talking about a world which is being used for an RPG campaign, and unless I miss my mark, most RPG systems don't have "Race: Crab" as one of the options when creating your character. Therefore, I thought it was a given that land-dwelling complex lifeforms would be a requirement on this world.
    Well... there are intelligent Crabs, and dolphin people, shark people and Squid people.

Those are the locals. The rest of the humanoids came in from portals on ships (not intentionally) so the Dwarves, Elves, Humans etc. are technically an invasive species. I was just curious what would naturally show up on this planet as a basis to work from and then toss in others from the portals.

So there can totally be proper terrestrial organisms, they probably just came from another world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

[I]

This inspires me to find a local used bookstore and rummage for this book. I've heard of it for many years, and now feels like a good time to finally read it.
    Yeah. The Songs of Distant Earth is quite good. I've read it twice, the first time when I was a teenager.

If anyone in this thread wants an interesting but.... different approach to a story on a water world, you might want to research, if not read, The Face of the Waters by Robert Silverberg. The book was... not as enjoyable to read as I'd hoped. But the worldbuilding was quite good from my perspective when I read it in hte early 2000s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Mark Hall
    Don't forget your local library. They may have it, or as an e-book.
    Thanks. I don’t e-book, but I can always try the library’s friends shop…whenever the library finally reopens. They know me all too well in the friends shop.

Originally Posted by gomipile
    If anyone in this thread wants an interesting but.... different approach to a story on a water world, you might want to research, if not read, The Face of the Waters by Robert Silverberg. The book was... not as enjoyable to read as I'd hoped. But the worldbuilding was quite good from my perspective when I read it in hte early 2000s.
    I’ve read a couple other books by Silverberg from about this same time. What about this one wasn’t enjoyable to read?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

I’ve read a couple other books by Silverberg from about this same time. What about this one wasn’t enjoyable to read?
    I've only read it once about twenty years ago, so take what I say with a helping of salt.

I recall the character arcs not paying off in favor of a "philosophical" ending on the state of humanity that seemed like the author's navel-gazing. I remember it taking a novel's worth of character development and throwing it all away in the last few pages to surprise the reader with an ending that took all agency away from the characters.

But, I haven't reread it recently, so I could be very wrong about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?