Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728 LastLast
Results 781 to 810 of 829
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Somewhere Strange

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    Selissa Betula
    Wood Elf Scout Rogue
    AC: 16 HP: 5/31
    PP: 16
    Conditions: None
    Concentrating: --

    Selissa's eyes widen as her arrow strikes - but the beast was midair and-

    She threw up an arm to take the gnashing jaws instead of her throat. She hissed out in pain as oversized teeth scraped bone. Fists were coming back - she desperately put her wooden arm in the way and the impact -so strong - nearly snapped it in two, but the second meaty fist hit her in the stomach so hard the wind disappeared from her body with an woosh. She coughed dryly, tasting blood, and toppled to her knees -

    no no no she didn't want to die
    -

    -With a harsh gasp of effort she leapt forwards, under the swing the ape took, planted a foot on its chest and used it as a springboard to arch backwards and away from its fists. She landed awkwardly, stumbled, spat more blood onto the ground - and the closest she'd come to death for five years, ran.

    Despite the pain, she retrieved an arrow with unsteady hands, and without pausing, twisted back and snapped off a shot, teeth bared in a grimace, and without waiting to see it hit, kept going.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Skirmisher allows her to move 20 feet, move action away, action shoot, BA move away.
    Action: 16 to hit, 7 damage
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

  2. - Top - End - #782
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    The Hartswood- Dam'ess Cemetery

    Hildebrand fires a crossbow bolt at the fiend's back, which sinks into it's flesh with a solid thump.
    The Bear is Back.

  3. - Top - End - #783
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    Vargath Hubrecht
    Half-Orc Rune Knight Fighter
    AC: 19 HP: 26/40
    PP: 12 PIv: 12 PIs: 10
    Conditions: Infected (Lycanthropy), -1 INT, Giant's Might (1 min)
    Concentrating: --

    The Battle is Joined

    It got past him. Vargath spins on the spot, breaking into a run to bear down on the beast. As he moves he hooks his axe back to his belt and reaches at the demon with his enormous hand, aiming to grab it and lock it down in place. It could jump and it could turn invisible, but neither of those mattered if it couldn't escape Vargath's rune-enhanced grip. It would lock off Vargath from his axe, but a worthy tradeoff.


    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Object Interaction: Hook his axe back on his belt.
    Move: Close the distance
    Action: Grapple Attempt: (1d20+6)[18] Advantage from Giant's Might: (1d20+6)[15] + (1d4)[3] from bless. Contested demon roll: (1d20)[16]+either athletics or acrobatics
    Bonus Action: None. Just in case.
    Pre-Emptive Reaction: If demonboy attacks and hits one of the two civvies, Invoke Skye rune to redirect the attack to Vargath.

    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  4. - Top - End - #784
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2020

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    Set Al-Sayyid
    Changeling Fighter/Hexblade
    AC: 17 HP: 34/34
    PP: 11 PIv: 12 PIs: 9
    Conditions: Iumenta Pox (currently no symptoms)
    Concentration: Hex (Demon 1, Dexterity impacted)

    Set watches with a twisted sense of satisfaction as the demon that teared into Vargath is torn apart itself. Set's hold over its shadow dissipates as it fractures into a hoard, consuming itself until nothing remains. But where Set was flush with victory, the Mighty was already moving to the next target, keeping him focused before he could lose hold over the shadows nearby.

    "It's still here! Do not relax!"

    "Damned demons, always going invisible."

    <"Ibn el sharmouta,"> Set says, finally recognizing what the gnome had realized long before. Even so, Set looks around wildly searching for an invisible creature, unable to hear or feel a thing worth investigating until the beast is already on Evergreen. A sickening crunch pulls his attention towards her as Selissa takes blow after blow. Before Set can even think to move, however, she's gone. Set's brain and his feet struggle to keep up. He nearly trips over himself trying to run to her aid when she is already a leaf on the wind, darting back into the trees so quickly that he would never catch her. She's okay. They're both okay, Set thinks as he steadies himself a few paces in front of Hans. He moves forward just far enough to put himself between the demon's new position and all the new faces. Evergreen had been caught by surprise once, but she wouldn't let it happen again. He had to trust her while she and the Mighty trusted him to keep Hans and Hildebrand away from the fight.

    "You have impeccable aim. Drop the brute."

    Whatever animosity had burned in Set towards the tiefling dissipates as Mal's cold, calculated confidence steadies him. He nods at Mal as they reform, switching sides of the field and acting as a unit despite having never worked together before. Reaching out with his mind, Set bends the demon's shadow to his will even as he reshapes his own, pulling it into his spear. Competing thoughts vie for attention, trying to pull his focus away from the task at hand. Rage and fear at Evergreen getting ambushed when he should've been able to stop it. Anxiety around hitting the Mighty with an attack by mistake. And there, simple as they are, Mal's words reform in Set's mind, allowing him to refocus. Drop the brute.

    <"Reach."> Set thrusts forward with his spear, sending a piercing line of shadow across the field as he wills the demon's own shadow to attack it.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Rolls in Discord today.

    Move: Slightly towards the demon, placing Set between it and the group (Ignacius, Mal, Hans, and Hildebrand (a.k.a. brandygard)).
    Bonus Action: Shift Hex to the next demon.
    Action: Eldritch Blast (20 attack) for 11 force/necrotic damage.
    Action Surge: Eldritch Blast (14+3 attack with bardic inspiration) for 4 force/necrotic damage.


  5. - Top - End - #785
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    The Hartswood- Dam'ess Cemetery

    The barlgura hops back when Selissa springs from it, reaching for her with fumbling hands as she leaps away. It spins just in time to have Vargath attempt to subdue it. The demon catches Vargath's hands, then pushes him away using all it's fearsome might. As it's shadow begins to scrape and claw at it, it looks up at the formation of mortals in front of it, turning invisible again. The effect of the invisibility is lessened by the murderous hooting the beast is emitting.

    Deeper into the forest, Selissa's bow begins to hum in her hand. The sound is subtle but powerful, and just loud enough to be heard within five feet of the bow. A female elvish voice whispers in her ear. "The fiend is exposing it's back to you. It is directly in front of the weak mortal with the spear. Strike true, but stay far."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    DC 7 Perception to detect that the creature is moving towards Set, Hans, Mal, and Hilde. If you make the perception check you can roll an attack at disadvantage if you can get within range of it. Selissa automatically makes the check because her bow rolled a natural 19 on a perception check when it's ritual triggered. Should she try to hit the demon she will do so at disadvantage (which can be negated with aim). If she hits she sneak attacks, as it is within 5 feet of her ally.

    Vargath may make an unarmed AoO with his reaction should he desire. It will be at disadvantage.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-05-03 at 09:46 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

  6. - Top - End - #786
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    Vargath Hubrecht
    Half-Orc Rune Knight Fighter
    AC: 19 HP: 26/40
    PP: 12 PIv: 12 PIs: 10
    Conditions: Infected (Lycanthropy), -1 INT, Giant's Might (1 min)
    Concentrating: --

    The Battle is Joined

    When the monster slips out of his grasp Vargath lashes out with a short kick, hoping to catch the invisible monster in the leg and interrupt their advance. He doesn't hold there, stomping after the demon, looking every bit a terrifying monster as the demon. He reaches out to grab at it once more. Even invisible he should be able to catch it around the torso, and it wasn't hard to keep track of its position given the sounds and smells it was emitting.


    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Perception 16 rolled in discord.
    OA at disadvantage: (1d20+6)[23](1d20+6)[18] Damage: 5+(1d6)[5] from Giant's Might.
    Move: Close the distance
    Action: Grapple Attempt: (1d20+6)[23] Advantage from Giant's Might: (1d20+6)[23] + (1d4)[3] from bless. Contested demon roll: (1d20)[14]+either athletics or acrobatics
    Bonus Action: None. Just in case.
    Pre-Emptive Reaction: If demonboy attacks and hits one of the two civvies, Invoke Skye rune to redirect the attack to Vargath.

    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  7. - Top - End - #787
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Somewhere Strange

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    Selissa Betula
    Wood Elf Scout Rogue
    AC: 16 HP: 5/31
    PP: 16
    Conditions: None
    Concentrating: --

    Selissa's breath came harshly as she came to a stop and swung round. She didn't even question the bow's words, merely drew an arrow. There, through a narrow gap in the foliage - draw back the string with a grunt of effort, feeling pain lance along her arm like more phantom teeth-

    It was invisible, it didn't matter-

    Release-

    The arrow flew true. It didn' t strike well against whatever passed for a heart, the ribs stopped it, she suspected - but it was a hit.

    That was for the bruises, you gods-dammed beast.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Focus aim
    Action: enough to hit, 11 damage
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

  8. - Top - End - #788
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    Mal
    Levistus Tiefling Bard 4
    AC: 14 HP: 34/34
    PP: 11 PIv: 13 PIs: 11
    Spell Slots: 1st - 3/4 2nd - 2/3
    Magic Initiate: 1/1
    Fey Touched: 1st - 0/1 2nd - 1/1
    Levistus Legacy: 2nd - 1/1
    Bardic Inspiration: 0/4
    Healer's Kit: 20/20
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: Bless (2nd round)

    Maledictus frowned when the beast went invisible. This one likes its hide. He continued to stride in reverse 15 paces. Then he whistled once more in a key only the barlgura could perceive. The tiefling levered the fact that, while the fiend would evade sight, the loud brute would not escape sound. The notes keened under the sound threshold, peaking in discord with painful exactness like a metronome from hell. If the brute's will faltered, the barlgura would bound backward recklessly, creating an opportunity to strike for whoever it passed.

    Mal then added to Set, "Excellent shot. Repeat."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Action: Cast Dissonant Whispers (Wis 14) for (3d6)[8] psychic damage. On a fail, the barlgura must immediately use its reaction, if available, to move as far as its speed allows away from him. On a save, take half damage and resist burning its reaction.
    Bonus Action: Bardic Inspiration to Set (1d6)
    Move: Back to 30ft toward front Set.

    D20 roll for Barlgura's wisdom save: 5

    Spoiler: Mal's Notes
    Show
    Set: outcast of Abydos / Romantic connection for Moira?
    Selissa: Blighted or reconstructed wood elf? Purported Scout.
    Vargath: Afflicted Lycanthrope seeking to suspend his curse
    Mandaras: Rival to Dr. Fixer.
    Dr. Fixer: Moira's lieutenant and cultivates relations with the locals of Vale.
    Elder Maus: Seeks to kill Moira. Hired mercenaries who betrayed him.
    --Healed to his full 9ft height.
    --Disbelieves Moira's insights; seeks to end her directly or indirectly.
    --Seeks us to verify the truths of Moira's claims--or stop her by any means necessary.

    Barlgura: Demon loosed by summoning ritual on the road to Dam'ess.
    Brazen Hart: Spirit of the wild wood around Dam'ess. Seeks to test the party's mettle by forcing an open fight with the Barlgura.

    Report daily updates to Mistress Moira at last light.

    Last edited by Theophilus; 2021-05-04 at 07:23 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #789
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)



    Doctor Ignacius Madaras, Medicus Extravagant!
    Gnome Alchemist Artificer | Raven Homunculus
    AC: 14 HP: 27/27 | AC 13 HP: 9/9
    PP: 11 PIv: 16 PIs: 11 | PP: 14 PIv: 10 PIs: 10
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

    As the alchemist throws a large bottle of lubricant, his confused homunculus misses yet again.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Throwing grease under the monkey, who OF COURSE makes his save with a 19 base roll.


  10. - Top - End - #790
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2020

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    Set Al-Sayyid
    Changeling Fighter/Hexblade
    AC: 17 HP: 34/34
    PP: 11 PIv: 12 PIs: 9
    Conditions: Iumenta Pox (currently no symptoms)
    Concentration: Hex (Demon 1, Dexterity impacted)

    This time, at least, when the demon disappears from sight it's no longer a mystery. Set braces himself, but the cacophony of hooting seems to echo off the trees, filling the air until he can't tell where the demon is anymore. The sight of the Mighty charging fills Set's vision as Vargath comes to a dead stop nearby, muscles bulging around thin air as he tries to contain the demon.

    "Excellent shot. Repeat."

    A few words and a gesture from Mal finally help him see the beast was right there, even if it remained hidden from sight. It was too close, already. There was no sense in pretending he could shield Hans from the fight now. It was here. Set closes whatever gap remains and drives the point of his spear where he thinks the barlgura is, but in his caution to avoid Vargath, he feels nothing but air.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Rolls in Discord again.

    Perception of 7 total with bardic inspiration...

    Move: Close with the demon if necessary.
    Action: 2H Spear attack roll of 10 for no damage.
    Bonus Action: Polearm mastery attack roll of 11 for no damage.


  11. - Top - End - #791
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    The Hartswood- Dam'ess Cemetery

    As Vargath manages to wrap his hands around the torso of a foe he cannot see, simply marking the target for everyone else does wonders. In short order, the invisible barlgura takes a bow shot between the shoulder blades, a coating of grease, and a mind breaking spell that forces it to try to run. And attempt to run it does. Unfortunately (or possibly fortunately, depending on your perspective), Vargath holds the demon tight. It's feet beat an almost comic retreat, but between Vargath wrapped around it's waist and the grease under it's feet it can gain no traction to run away. And when it snaps out of the influence of Mal's spell, it goes into a rage.

    It is Hans who suffers the demon's ire. Now, with the fiend, a literal manifestation of evil and destruction, he does not flinch. Bracing his grip on his spear, he rams it forward at the demon with a strangled cry. While his blow causes no appreciable damage, it does leave a thin line of ichor across the demon's belly, and the creature, still held by Vargath, almost as though it were annoyed by the weakness of Hans' strike, flails with both fists against the villager. The first blow activate's Vargath's rune, mystical runic energy causing the attack to impact Vargath instead. The second blow catches Hans on the side of the head and makes a sound not unlike the sound of two stones being rammed together. Instantly unconscious, Hans reels backward from the force of the blow, but the demon, instead of moving on to a more threatening target, hones in on weakness. As Hans falls the demon throws all it's weight forward, managing to yank Vargath a few inches, and clamps it's jaws down on Hans' hand as it releases his spear. There is a split second pause before the bones of the hand shatter in the jaws of the demon. This is not helped when the entire body weight of Hans pulls down on his wounded limb.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So resolving the barrage of effects sent the Barlgura's way last round was interesting, but I hope I did them justice. Anyway, the demon went crazy on Hans. First attack was deflected to Vargath and fails to meet his AC. I think that makes it a miss, but in case it doesn't Vargath takes 8 damage. Second attack dropped Hans to 0 in one blow. The third attack, the bite, dealt 2 failed death saves to our intrepid hero. If Hans is going to survive he's going to need some healing, stat. I didn't specifically note it in the post, but the barlgura is visible now. And heavily wounded. FINISH IT.
    The Bear is Back.

  12. - Top - End - #792
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Somewhere Strange

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    Selissa Betula
    Wood Elf Scout Rogue
    AC: 16 HP: 5/31
    PP: 16
    Conditions: None
    Concentrating: --

    Held still, wounded, the monster wasn't done just yet.

    One more shot.

    Draw back. Breathe in. Release.

    The arrow flew to strike the rabid demon in the back of the neck. It would have to be enough: Selissa's abused arms were screaming at having to draw a bow with their injuries.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Focus aim
    Action: enough to hit, 17 damage
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

  13. - Top - End - #793
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    Vargath Hubrecht
    Half-Orc Rune Knight Fighter
    AC: 19 HP: 26/40
    PP: 12 PIv: 12 PIs: 10
    Conditions: Infected (Lycanthropy), -1 INT, Giant's Might (1 min)
    Concentrating: --

    The Battle is Joined

    The magic of his runic redirection dissipates against his armour, the damage deflected effortlessly, but when the further hits go through it's not panic that enters his voice, merely urgency. Commanding. A shout that, if only briefly, eclipses that of the demon that squirms in his grasp, small in comparison to the enlarged half-orc. "I've got him, help the injured!" Summoning his strength he lashes out with his foot once more to knock it off balance, before dragging it away from the party where the only one it could target was Vargath. Toe to toe with a demon ape. In other circumstances he'd like nothing more, but the complication of the villagers didn't allow him to enjoy the moment quite as much as he would like.


    Spoiler: Actions
    Show


    Move: Drag the grappled demonboy 15' away, pulling him out of further attack range anyone other than Vargath.
    Action: Unarmed Strike Attack: (1d20+6)[23] Damage: 5+(1d6)[4] from Giant's Might.
    Bonus Action: None. Just in case.
    Pre-Emptive Reaction: OA if it breaks Vargath's grapple and runs: (1d20+6)[9] Damage: 5+(1d6)[3] from Giant's Might.

    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  14. - Top - End - #794
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)



    Doctor Ignacius Madaras, Medicus Extravagant!
    Gnome Alchemist Artificer | Raven Homunculus
    AC: 14 HP: 27/27 | AC 13 HP: 9/9
    PP: 11 PIv: 16 PIs: 11 | PP: 14 PIv: 10 PIs: 10
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

    Madaras falls back, kneeling down on the unconscious human. He was more used to victims on fire and burned from acid, but there was one thing he knew, Stop the bleeding. Ruffling in his bags, he finally reveals some contraption made of cloth. It is a noose that he uses to stop the bloodflow into the hand. A few moments later, consciousness returns to the warrior.

    Lay down and be silent. It enjoys pain, if there is nothing to be gained from your suffering, it will pick another target. Alvis tries to deter the gorilla from attacking the healing camp, finally hitting.

    Spoiler
    Show
    healing Hans for 11, assuming he has a single hit die.
    25 to hit and 6 force damage.

    Last edited by Spore; 2021-05-05 at 06:01 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #795
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    Mal
    Levistus Tiefling Bard 4
    AC: 14 HP: 34/34
    PP: 11 PIv: 13 PIs: 11
    Spell Slots: 1st - 3/4 2nd - 2/3
    Magic Initiate: 1/1
    Fey Touched: 1st - 0/1 2nd - 1/1
    Levistus Legacy: 2nd - 1/1
    Bardic Inspiration: 0/4
    Healer's Kit: 20/20
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: Bless (2nd round)

    The tiefling marveled at the half orc's prodigious strength. Vargath held the spawn of hell in a vice grip that exceeded the barlgura's ability to break, even when hexed into a mad flight. When the villager suffered for the assault on the fiend, the attache's lips hardened as his jaw. He almost loosed a reproving remark to reanimate the observer, but the alchemist took action. Mal refocused on the Barlgura with lethal intent.

    He had spoken his advisories. He had subtly shifted the fortunes of his allies. He had broken the mind of his foes. Pondering his options in a swift span between seconds, he mentally surveyed his repertoire of destructive abilities like a huntsman admires his wall of weapons. He briefly considered joining the fray, but the others had proven capable at hacking and slashing. Instead, he smirked and revealed an art Set may find familiar.

    Mal gestured toward the hacked and hagard Barlgura, unleashing a beam of pure energy. The effect mimicked Set's energy blast, yet differed greatly. The edges tore through the air crisply, with perfectly geometric lines. As it sailed past the wrapped spearman, he could briefly hear the subtle whispers of vengeful spirits. The infernal hate infusing him, Vargath, and Selissa enhanced his focus to ensure the beam caught his immortal foe. The barlgura would hear the whispers in the distinct tongues of its nemeses. If its shredded conscious lasted that long before sailing back to the Abyss.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Action: Cast eldritch blast (Discord: 15+4 bless, 19 to hit) for 5 force damage.
    Bonus Action: None
    Move: None

    Spoiler: Mal's Notes
    Show
    Set: outcast of Abydos / Romantic connection for Moira?
    Selissa: Blighted or reconstructed wood elf? Purported Scout.
    Vargath: Afflicted Lycanthrope seeking to suspend his curse
    Mandaras: Rival to Dr. Fixer.
    Dr. Fixer: Moira's lieutenant and cultivates relations with the locals of Vale.
    Elder Maus: Seeks to kill Moira. Hired mercenaries who betrayed him.
    --Healed to his full 9ft height.
    --Disbelieves Moira's insights; seeks to end her directly or indirectly.
    --Seeks us to verify the truths of Moira's claims--or stop her by any means necessary.

    Barlgura: Demon loosed by summoning ritual on the road to Dam'ess.
    Brazen Hart: Spirit of the wild wood around Dam'ess. Seeks to test the party's mettle by forcing an open fight with the Barlgura.

    Report daily updates to Mistress Moira at last light.


  16. - Top - End - #796
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2020

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    Set Al-Sayyid
    Changeling Fighter/Hexblade
    AC: 17 HP: 34/34
    PP: 11 PIv: 12 PIs: 9
    Conditions: Iumenta Pox (currently no symptoms)
    Concentration: Hex (Demon 1, Dexterity impacted)

    The Mighty manages to redirect the demon’s rage for a moment, but the barlgura couldn't be contained forever. Set watches Hans raise his spear in defiance, but it’s nowhere near enough to blunt the demon’s assault. Before Set has a chance to regret not being able to do more, however, Doctor Madaras kneels beside Hans, coaxing him back to life. The result was nothing short of miraculous. Set had encountered healers both mundane and magical, but the good doctor moved quickly. Hans had looked to be a dead man, bleeding and broken on the ground, but Ignacius seemed fully prepared to patch him back up at a moments notice. Set struggles to stay focused as the gnome he thought he was beginning to understand quietly heals and reassures Hans even as his raven helps to hold the demon at bay.

    Set fires off another blast of shadow just as a second beam travels over his left shoulder, striking the beast first. Despite their differences, the familiarity gives him pause. Set knows the source of his own power implicitly, his energy blurred in gloom, but this new beam looks sharp as if it had somehow been honed to a razor’s edge. It was like examining a spear forged by a culture previously unknown to him. A spear was a spear, but the hands that made them subconsciously shared their values through their handiwork.

    Set risks a glance away from the battle only to find the stolid, golden eyes of the tiefling staring past him. It all made sense now. Set was no great student of magic and he knew that it took many forms, but could that energy have come from another source? Eldritch power coursed through Mal. They were cousins in servitude, tools in the hands of different masters. Set had been a fool to ever think Mal served the Shadowkeeper, but his instincts hadn't been too far off. The timing of Mal's arrival may have been perfectly in conjunction with the Shadowkeeper's game, but the tiefling wasn't tainted with shadow. He'd been cursed by another. An Elder of a different line. Set's thoughts flash over this newfound revelation before his attention is ripped back to the front as the demon goes through its final struggle.
    Last edited by Riggdgames; 2021-05-05 at 07:56 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #797
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    The Hartswood- Dam'ess Cemetery

    Hans awakes with a start as Hildebrand sprints over, her crossbow tossed aside. "No, no, nonono! Hans! You can't die! Get up!" The male human, delirious with pain and shock, laughs weakly as Dr. Madaras finishes administering aid. Though he is not strictly speaking a medical doctor, Ignacius can tell just by looking at it that this man's hand would be marred for life by his brush with death, and may have limited functionality for the rest of his days. But Hans is alive, and that counts for more than a disabled hand.

    As Vargath wrestles the demon back, the fiend resists with such strength that Vargath has to lift it off the ground and haul it away like a tantruming child. While the ape is airborne, Selissa's arrow, Alvis' beams, and the twin bolts of eldritch energy pierce and burn the creature's flesh. By the time Vargath has dragged the monster ten feet away, it has become easy to move it. Light as a feather, the growling, cursing ape begins to fade from view, but this time it is the forced transubstantiation of violence sending the fiend back to it's home. Vargath's hands finally pass through it as it disappears with a roar that quickly becomes muted and distant. It is done.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    A whopping 720 experience points apiece for the epic battle. Well done.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-05-05 at 07:59 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

  18. - Top - End - #798
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    Mal
    Levistus Tiefling Bard 4
    AC: 14 HP: 34/34
    PP: 11 PIv: 13 PIs: 11
    Spell Slots: 1st - 3/4 2nd - 2/3
    Magic Initiate: 1/1
    Fey Touched: 1st - 0/1 2nd - 1/1
    Levistus Legacy: 2nd - 1/1
    Bardic Inspiration: 0/4
    Healer's Kit: 20/20
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: —

    Mal strolled to the site of the original Barlgura’s demise. He scooped the giant hoops of gold by skewering his rapier through the center, drawing them closer by raising his blade. He then drew a cloth and wrapped the pair before securing them into his satchel.

    The attache turned and looked over the team. A few appeared battered—especially Hans—but all remained mortal and alive. The tiefling retraced his steps and said to the group, ”Well fought! We should return to the village to tend the wounded.”

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Collect the ring braces of the Barlgura.

    Spoiler: Mal's Notes
    Show
    Set: outcast of Abydos / Romantic connection for Moira?
    Selissa: Blighted or reconstructed wood elf? Purported Scout.
    Vargath: Afflicted Lycanthrope seeking to suspend his curse
    Mandaras: Rival to Dr. Fixer.
    Dr. Fixer: Moira's lieutenant and cultivates relations with the locals of Vale.
    Elder Maus: Seeks to kill Moira. Hired mercenaries who betrayed him.
    --Healed to his full 9ft height.
    --Disbelieves Moira's insights; seeks to end her directly or indirectly.
    --Seeks us to verify the truths of Moira's claims--or stop her by any means necessary.

    Barlgura: Demon loosed by summoning ritual on the road to Dam'ess. Slain with its summoned partner by team. (Bless helped with accuracy issues due to invisibility. In the future, layer mind sliver to aid with saves.)
    Brazen Hart: Spirit of the wild wood around Dam'ess. Seeks to test the party's mettle by forcing an open fight with the Barlgura.

    Report daily updates to Mistress Moira at last light.

    Last edited by Theophilus; 2021-05-06 at 07:54 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #799
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2020

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    Set Al-Sayyid
    Changeling Fighter/Hexblade
    AC: 17 HP: 34/34
    PP: 11 PIv: 12 PIs: 9
    Conditions: Iumenta Pox (currently no symptoms)
    Concentration: Hex (Demon 1, Dexterity impacted)

    Set watches the demon fade into nothingness with relief, glad to be done even if some of their number wouldn't leave unscarred. He looks down to see Hans well in hand between Hildebrand and Ignacius before checking on the other wounded.

    "You alright?" Set asks Vargath. He remembers watching the first demon batter the Mighty's armor, but it was hard to tell just how hurt Vargath might be when the heat of battle was still on him. Set peers past him for a moment, searching for Evergreen, but she's lost to him among the trees. She must've been okay if she'd still been able to move as quickly as she had.

    Set turns back to Mal, a bit wary of the other man, but respectful. "Well fought," Set agrees, nodding to him. There's a moment where it seems like he might say more, but he swallows the words. Later, perhaps.

    "Is he going to be alright?" Set finally asks Doctor Madaras, watching Hildebrand tend to her husband.

    Set fishes through his pack and then offers Hans a clockwork dragon. "For your daughter," Set says, pressing the toy into his wife's hand, eager to avoid hurting him further. "There’s no demon tooth to bring home to her, but you can always look back and remember the day you stood tall between a demon and your wife, Dragonheart," Set says, smiling around the eyes as he claps the other man gently on the shoulder. "No more demon hunting, though. You've done enough. You both have."

  20. - Top - End - #800
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    Vargath Hubrecht
    Half-Orc Rune Knight Fighter
    AC: 19 HP: 48/49
    PP: 12 PIv: 12 PIs: 10
    Conditions: Infected (Lycanthropy), -1 INT
    Concentrating: --

    His fist finds only the sun-hardened mud instead of the demon's fleshy form, but in truth that was probably for the best. Better it be dead, or at least gone, rather than the fight continue longer. He still had plenty of fight left in him, he could go for hours if needs be, but he didn't much want to risk further harm on the villagers. He stands and stretches, rolling his arms and shoulders as the adrenaline wavers and his engorged form begins to contract back to one that is slightly less overwhelming.

    "Wouldn't say never better but nothing a nap wouldn't fix," he reassures Set. Physically he was fine, a minor cut or bruise here, but nothing that would stop him. Mentally he's disappointed in himself, already playing back the fight in his head over what he could or should have done differently. No one had died, thankfully, but injuries can linger even after they're healed. Body and mind both. Cutting words come to Vargath, ready to lecture Hans for his mistake that had got him mauled, but he bites his tongue. No praise or putdowns. The fear and pain would be reminder enough.

    "So, demon's dead. Back to town?" He casts his eyes around at the group, polling responses. If they were going to rest and recover, they could do it in a place that was not the recently demon-infested cemetery.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-05-06 at 05:25 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  21. - Top - End - #801
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Somewhere Strange

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    Selissa Betula
    Wood Elf Scout Rogue
    AC: 16 HP: 5/31
    PP: 16
    Conditions: None
    Concentrating: --

    She heard the death-scream of the demon. Out of sight of the others, Selissa let herself sag against a tree for a moment as she grit her teeth, breathing slow against the pain. With careful movements made clumsy she forced herself to put away the bow, retrieved a spare roll of green cloth she'd normally wrap her waist in, and awkwardly bound up her bleeding flesh arm. She'd have to stitch it later.

    She schooled her face back into its neutral expression, not betraying the pain she felt, and headed back the way she came. She re-emerged next to the party, looked between them. With a small nod, she turned to head back to town. If she spoke, her voice might betray her; she remained silent.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

  22. - Top - End - #802
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)



    Doctor Ignacius Madaras, Medicus Extravagant!
    Gnome Alchemist Artificer | Raven Homunculus
    AC: 14 HP: 27/27 | AC 13 HP: 9/9
    PP: 11 PIv: 16 PIs: 11 | PP: 14 PIv: 10 PIs: 10
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

    Instead of joining in the jublilations and general congratulatory mood, Ignacius focusses his attention onto his patient. He would live to tell the tale, but everything he would do now would not get him his arm back. Part of him thought about finding another Ebonstone to construct and replace the missing hand, that would - despite giving the man not natural mobility - at least a semblance of normalcy back. But now it was to stop trauma from happening. Dam'ess was strong enough to endure another invalid, but Madaras was unsure if Hans was happy with his performance.

    Good thing you two helped with the defense of the Vale. Hilde, you are a comparatively good shot for someone who just started. The mere fact Hans took the same brutality as Selissa is an impressive feat.

    Hilde, dear, would you help steady your husband's gait? I would do it, but I am a fair bit too small.


    Madaras suddenly realizes Selissa's facial expression. He knows the steady glare of deep-seated pain. He locks eyes with the wood elf and approaches her. Sparing her the indignity of opening up to him, he rather hands her his medicine to patch herself up. The numbing ointment goes onto the shoulder, the bandages are placed whereever you seem he pierced your skin. Don't forget to use spirits to disinfect.

    Spoiler
    Show
    healing Selissa for 11


  23. - Top - End - #803
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    The Hartswood- Dam'ess Cemetery

    Hilde helps Hans to his feet, and her punch drunk husband needs every bit of help he can get at first. His eyes have the bleary stare of a concussion, and he keeps reflexively trying to clench a fist, seemingly fascinated by the fact that he can no longer touch the fingers of his right hand to his palm. Then Hilde takes his wounded hand, presses it to her lips, and together they start to walk towards town, one shaky step at a time. When Set passes the clockwork dragon into her hands, the two villagers smile at Set, hers small and worried, his big and proud. Dr. Madaras' words makes those smiles grow a bit larger still. But despite the smile, when his wife releases his wounded hand Hans keeps trying to clench and keeps failing. He keeps trying the whole way home.

    Dam'ess

    As the party arrives back in the village proper, there is another crowd assembled, and they look almost as stunned and astonished as they did when a woman flew over them. Sitting in the center of town in front of the ruined dry goods store is a stage coach. Officially, Weldry's store was the last stop for the stage coach line, but no carriages had come this far in nearly a decade. If any of you inquired about one in your journeys to the Vale you were laughed off by any of the official stage lines. But lo and behold, civilization has returned. It's a pretty beat up model, old and worn, but pulled by four black horses of formidable size.

    Chief Moeller is standing next to an armed and armored figure at the base of the stage coach stairs. They appear to be talking quietly to one another. The figure is clad in full plate and helm, with four blades strapped to their back and belt- a greatsword, an exotic longsword nearly half again in length to the average, a curvy shortsword shaped like rippled water, and a hooked dagger. The breastplate and pauldrons of the grey, heavily worn armor bear the same symbol- an even scale. As you all approach, you can start to make out what the Chief is saying. "...sorry, Ma'am. All a matter of bad timing, I assure you. The threats have been resolved. We do not have need of your service in Dam'ess." The lot of you approaching catches the Chief's eye, and he looks genuinely relieved and happy to see all of you unscathed. The armored figure turns their head as well, then you hear a feminine voice speak out from under the helm. "I see, Chief Moeller. Your little village is lucky to have such an abundance of champions yearning to restore order to the area. It is better to be late to a resolved crisis than too late to help a massacre. I will follow my driver to your tavern, let the horses rest, and set out in the morning to return to Harumburg. If you have need of me, you may find me either at the..." She waves her hand somewhat dismissively at the tavern across the street. "local watering hole.. or in my stage coach, resting." They take a moment to salute with a clenched fist over their chest, first to Chief Moeller, then to the party, before crossing the road to the Oaken Larder and entering through the swinging doors. After she is out of sight, the Chief strides to meet you all. "It is done, then? Bence's demon is slain?"
    The Bear is Back.

  24. - Top - End - #804
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    Vargath Hubrecht
    Half-Orc Rune Knight Fighter
    AC: 19 HP: 48/49
    PP: 12 PIv: 12 PIs: 10
    Conditions: Infected (Lycanthropy), -1 INT
    Concentrating: --

    "As slain as any demon is. Certainly banished. So unless you have any other demonic cultists hiding out that should be the matter finalised. You may want to consecrate the cemetery though." Vargath shrugs. He had some knowledge of such rituals, but not enough to confidently perform one, and it seemed the sort of ritual one did not want to mess up.
    "Who was that?" He juts his chin at the Oaken Larder, where the armoured figure retreated to.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  25. - Top - End - #805
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    Mal
    Levistus Tiefling Bard 4
    AC: 14 HP: 34/34
    PP: 11 PIv: 13 PIs: 11
    Spell Slots: 1st - 3/4 2nd - 2/3
    Magic Initiate: 1/1
    Fey Touched: 1st - 0/1 2nd - 1/1
    Levistus Legacy: 2nd - 1/1
    Bardic Inspiration: 0/4
    Healer's Kit: 20/20
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: —

    Mallory had sheathed his rapier once out of the woods. He had watched the others activities after the battle, noting their preferences, remarks, and silences. This fight demonstrated the utility of coordination, at least to the attache. He knew the Archduke's ability to refine hate to a lethal keen proved instrumental. The diabolist preferred to let others do the gritty work. Unfortunately, the desire to expose the villagers to the rigors of self defense did not go without casualties. A flawless victory would have secured the confidence of Dam'ess and seasoned its boldest. Still, none died and the man held his nerve despite his mangling.

    The knight from Harumburg caught his notice. This was the first true authority of the Vale he had encountered. Her presence would provide either insight or an early alarm. He glanced at the gnome as he considered the latter. When the half-orc approached Maus, the tiefling dutifully trailed and gave a slight, formal bow as a silent acknowledgement. Mal would hear before he spoke. Perhaps the chief will unmask the rider without us having to pry her visor with words.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Discord: 7 History on scales symbology.

    Spoiler: Mal's Notes
    Show
    Set: outcast of Abydos / Romantic connection for Moira?
    Selissa: Blighted or reconstructed wood elf? Purported Scout.
    Vargath: Afflicted Lycanthrope seeking to suspend his curse
    Mandaras: Rival to Dr. Fixer.
    Dr. Fixer: Moira's lieutenant and cultivates relations with the locals of Vale.
    Elder Maus: Seeks to kill Moira. Hired mercenaries who betrayed him.
    --Healed to his full 9ft height.
    --Disbelieves Moira's insights; seeks to end her directly or indirectly.
    --Seeks us to verify the truths of Moira's claims--or stop her by any means necessary.

    Barlgura: Demon loosed by summoning ritual on the road to Dam'ess. Slain with its summoned partner by team. (Bless helped with accuracy issues due to invisibility. In the future, layer mind sliver to aid with saves.)
    Brazen Hart: Spirit of the wild wood around Dam'ess. Seeks to test the party's mettle by forcing an open fight with the Barlgura.

    Report daily updates to Mistress Moira at last light.

    Last edited by Theophilus; 2021-05-08 at 09:12 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #806
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2020

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    Set Al-Sayyid
    Changeling Fighter/Hexblade
    AC: 17 HP: 34/34
    PP: 11 PIv: 12 PIs: 9
    Conditions: Iumenta Pox (currently no symptoms)
    Concentration: Hex (Demon 1, Dexterity impacted)

    Once the group reaches the town square, Set examines the stagecoach and its owner at length. The collection of swords hanging from their back and belt seem heavy enough, but the plate mail they wear looks staggering. Set can only imagine trying to wade into battle or trudge through the desert under all that weight. The sun and sands of his homeland, Set felt sure, would punish those who tried.

    Set nods in response to the knight's salute before watching her enter the Larder. Between the scales on her armor and her words, his curiosity is piqued. Had she come to answer Maus' call for aid from days before, or was she here for another purpose? A drink and some food wouldn't go amiss after what they'd been through today, but Set resists the urge to walk past Maus to sate his curiosity and his appetite. Instead he waits, giving the Chief a chance to speak and listening intently to Vargath's response. Set's own words are clipped short, keeping his tone in check.

    "Both of them," Set interjects after the Mighty speaks, explaining, "Bence's demon summoned a second." Set remains silent otherwise, awaiting an answer to Vargath's question.

  27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)



    Doctor Ignacius Madaras, Medicus Extravagant!
    Gnome Alchemist Artificer | Raven Homunculus
    AC: 14 HP: 27/27 | AC 13 HP: 9/9
    PP: 11 PIv: 16 PIs: 11 | PP: 14 PIv: 10 PIs: 10
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

    Madaras helps Hans and Hildegard to bring the wounded man to their home. He assures them, that he will check on them later, and if anything changes, they should call for the gnome. With that, he turns his attention to the iron-clad warrior, but pauses before speaking to the elder. He did not want to play his cards prematurely like last time.

    Yes, who was that? She looks like a capable hunter, but killing a demon on their own would've been a big task even for our Ser Hubrecht. What makes her so confident that she would succeed in a duel, let alone two on one? We barely won, while taking heavy opposition.

    I regret to inform, while Hans and Hildegard fought valiantly, the demon got into our backline. Hans might not get the use of his right arm back.


    Madaras looks distraught, but then smiles a sad grin as he snaps his fingers to allow Alvis to approach his fist. There may be the chance that I could create a filigree mechanical arm from Ebonstone, but this could take a while and is not guaranteed. Please don't give him hope, but if he ever falls to the gloomy side, you may tell him Doctor Madaras might just have the solution.

    Truth be told, a mechanical flying apparatus did require entirely different skills from the intricate mechanics of a humanoid arm, but it was possible.
    Last edited by Spore; 2021-05-09 at 02:02 AM.

  28. - Top - End - #808
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    At Hans and Hilde's Home

    The couple heave a sigh of relief when their small, single story cottage is finally before them. Hans seems to be at least partially recovered, and is more than capable of expressing his sincere thanks. Hilde reaches around her neck underneath her armor and carefully removes a small necklace of charms. "Me gama made this for me when I was little. She told me if I meditated on the charms I would discover the power of the spirits. There used to be more, but I think a bunch of them fell off. I want you to have it. May you rediscover your faith in the spirits while out there doing good in the world, Dr. Madaras." The necklace bears eight charms of woven leather, twisted twine, twigs, and metallic wire, as well as painted, woven string that makes somewhat mesmeric, colorful geometric patterns in the center of each hooped charm, with the string wrapped around the hoop in cascades of color. Though humble in origin, this charm necklace is very beautiful upon close observation, even if it looks primitive from a distance.

    Dam'ess Square

    Maus nods along to Vargath's words, smile growing, obviously enjoying what he hears. "Aye, I'll consult the spirits to see if there is any corruption remaining, but I suspect we are free of obligations for now... excepting the one we don't see eye to eye on." He looks to the east and frowns. "I need to name a successor... that may take a bit of time. If you all have any you would say goodbye to, I'd recommend now. I don't intend to waste daylight in getting to Harumburg. Do you all wish to stay one more night, or leave as soon as possible?"

    At Ignacius' offer, the Chief considers, but eventually shakes his head. "I will not stop you from trying to aid my people, but I can't bless your efforts. Ebonstone is alien and strange, and I couldn't agree with putting it on a person's body. I don't have the knowledge to know what would happen."

    Looking to the tavern, Maus' frown grows. "Her name is she didn't give, but she claims to be a paladin of Order. With a capital O. I asked her if she served the spirits or some other religion and she shook her head, but didn't elaborate. Don't know if I've ever seen a paladin in all of the Vale, excepting the odd crusader of Harum, come to make trouble. When I asked where she was from all she said was "far to the south west and across the sea." She said she was here to fight the darkness afflicting us, but I told her we were free of threats thanks to you all. I... considered bringing up Moira, but I'd not betray our pact the second you all were out of sight. Particularly when you were out fighting for Dam'ess. Anyway, I have no trust for whatever Order she serves. I thought a paladin would be eager to speak more of their faith, and she's mum about everything. Perhaps she'll open up more after a few drinks from Horace. I know I have no right to ask you for more, but if any of you could find out more about her and her power before we leave, I would appreciate it."
    The Bear is Back.

  29. - Top - End - #809
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    Vargath Hubrecht
    Half-Orc Rune Knight Fighter
    AC: 19 HP: 48/49
    PP: 12 PIv: 12 PIs: 10
    Conditions: Infected (Lycanthropy), -1 INT
    Concentrating: --

    "I can't leave today, Moira's...assistant is concocting something to keep my infection in check until a more permanent solution can be devised. Either we all leave tomorrow or I catch up after getting the elixir tomorrow morning." He doesn't say they can't leave without him, and chances are if they're making time for Maus' old bones he would be able to catch up. He doesn't want to be a delay, but neither can he leave early. They could make their own decision on when to leave, his was already made up. "There's no shame in keeping to oneself, but if Moira is correct, more help would be welcome." The only conclusion was obvious, and without waiting for any further interjections he heads direct for the tavern.

    Vargath steps into the tavern, offering a half glance at the barman. It's not hard to pick out the Paladin at a table. He waves for a drink, before casually, and rudely, taking a seat opposite her. His face is set stoic, matching her eye to eye. "The Chief says you're a fighter of some sort, here to help fight back against the darkness. Is that the right of it?"

    Spoiler: History(?)
    Show

    Gonna see if Vargath knows anything about this Order-with-a-capital-O.

    (1d20+4)[12] - If Religion is the more appropriate skill, just a +2 instead of a +4.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-05-09 at 03:11 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  30. - Top - End - #810
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

    In the Oaken Larder

    When Vargath steps inside, Horace, the barkeep with one milky eye, gives him a warm wave. Alephandro, his son, is out of sight for the moment. Horace promptly pours Vargath an ale, moving around the counter to bring it to him at the Paladin's table, along with a glass of wine that they presumably ordered. Said Paladin gives a nod of thanks to the barkeep before dismissing him with a wave. They do not seem to notice Vargath's intrusion, though it is impossible that they didn't see him. They reach up and carefully work their helm up an off their head, revealing a woman with skin as black as coal, cold brown eyes that seem to look through the rune knight, a head completely bald of hair on one side and braided to the jawline on the other, and numerous pale scars scattered across their features. When she speaks, it is heavily accented, but perfectly understandable.

    "Your Chief is correct that I am a capable warrior, but mistaken in my purpose. I am here to do battle against those who would bring Chaos to this place- wandering monsters, servants of Pale Night, that sort of thing. I care not for questions of morality, only that this village begins to thrive and provide a place of usefulness for it's inhabitants. Tit for tat, this Chief tells me that you are a mighty warrior who did my job for me. I'm not sure whether to thank you for your service or damn you for my boredom. I am Uluthando Mikoso, Paladin of Order. Who do I raise my glass to as a local folk hero in the making?" Her rigid expression does not change through her entire speech, nor does the flat, disciplined tone of her voice. True to her word, she raises her glass of wine along with one eyebrow, waiting for Vargath's response.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Spoiler: History DC 15
    Show
    While some people devote themselves to concepts rather than worshipping gods, it is rare to the point of near nonexistance in this part of the world. However, in a distant continent far to the west, it is said to be the norm. They use an eclectic system of symbols to specify which greater concept they pay homage to. These scales, along with the Paladin's thick accent, lead you to believe she may be from that part of the world.

    Spoiler: DC 20
    Show
    You know that if you cross the ocean from the most westerly edge of this continent (Mund) heading south west you'll find yourself on the continent of Nguni if you are lucky and aren't eaten by a dragon turtle or whatever else prowls the deepest of water in the world. A few ships with skilled captains make the trip regularly, and all of them are enormously rich, though generally not long lived. There are many tribes and ethnic groups there, but most well educated (and lucky) travelers agree that if the people of Nguni ever united in anger they would stomp the continent of Mund into dust. They have similar levels of technology, with a notable absence of naval fleets, but magic is a much more active part of their daily lives, with seemingly twice the number of magically gifted people born. Most rulers are powerful practitioners of both arcane and divine power, channeling a combination of their own magic and the magic borrowed from philosophical concepts such as Order, Freedom, Diplomacy, or Destruction.


    Spoiler: P.S.
    Show
    I have no idea how Selissa knows this, but that's what she gets.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-05-09 at 08:36 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •