New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

Vargath Hubrecht
    Half-Orc Rune Knight Fighter
    AC: 19 HP: 40/40
    PP: 12 PIv: 12 PIs: 10
    Conditions: Infected (Lycanthropy), -1 INT
    Concentrating: --

While he has no fear of needles, he isn't exactly eager for someone he just met to start poking him with unknown liquids - especially someone who would so eagerly try to abuse his voice to sell their concoctions to people who don't know any better. "Just rest assured that if you put anything untoward in my body, I'll live long enough to make sure you don't do it twice." He didn't take any pleasure in threatening the gnome but it was important to set up boundaries. Even though, logically, he understands there's little difference between drinking something and having it injected, he can't help but feel the direct application a bit more nefarious.

Vargath doesn't comment further until Mal has left, letting them have their 'last word'. Calling after them would do no good either way. "I don't need to remind you of how they reacted to Bence." Vargath says simply to the Chief. While he disagreed with Mal about the direction to go, they were at least correct about it ultimately not being up to Vargath or the rest of them how it went. Their voices held too little sway. And, frankly, if Maus wanted to send his villagers to die then so be it. Vargath would save those he could but if their decisions got them killed he would struggle to feel bad. Stupidity was its own weakness, as was unwarranted bravery.

When Selissa leaves, Vargath follows - she was the better tracker after all.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

Dam'ess

At Set's exclamations and accusations Maus stands tall, looming over everyone like a giant among men. Rage crosses his face, but only briefly. His anger is rapidly dampened by wisdom that can only be gained with age and experience. "I wish to go with you all and prove my worth, but I must remain here in case the demon eludes you and circles back on the village. Likewise, I'll send none of my fighters with you, as they must be here to defend their homes and kinsman. I will, however, pay you all if you manage to slay this threat. And when you are done, and the village is saved from the last will of John Bence, I will join you on the road to the capital. If I am right, we will see nothing under Harumburg and can begin planning on how to take down Moira immediately. If I am wrong... then my magic can aid you and we will have further planning to do anyway. Either way, once you have slain the beast return, so we can away." He taps his massive staff on the ground to punctuate himself, like Dr. Fixer, but Maus Moeller only requires a single stamp to make his point. Then he ushers you out, mumbling something about preparing for the road.

Outside of the Chief's hut, the party has two separate encounters before leaving the village. The spindly man, hair thinning and knobbly knees knocking, approaches Dr. Madaras as subtly as a drunken sow and quietly requests a draught of orcish potency, handing over a small purse in exchange for as many vials as he can afford. It isn't much, just a gold, fifteen silver, and thirty two copper, but any entrepreneur knows each sale counts, no matter how small. He eagerly takes whatever he is given and scampers away.

At the edge of town, just as the party is regrouping to set out, two individuals that Selissa, Set, and Vargath recognize step forward. They are two of the Chief's chosen, a man and a woman, both armed with silver spears, daggers, and clubs that have improvised nail spikes driven through them. Both seem to have salvaged basic armor from somewhere, ill-fitting and in ill-repair but still some protection. They are holding hands, and a careful observer would notice green dyed twine circling each of their ring fingers, a poor follower of the Green faith's excuse for wedding rings. They step forward to intercept the party on their way out of the village, the woman raising her voice to speak. "We'll join you. Dam'ess has relied on the strength of strangers for too long. If we are to live, we would live knowing we fought side by side with the heroes of the village. If we are to die..." The couple exchange a lengthy look, eyes filled with worry reassuring each other with love and intangible strength. "Then let us die in a way our friends, neighbors, the spirits, and our child will remember and honor forever." The man steps forward and clears his throat, then levels his most stubborn glare at Mal. "We won't take no for an answer. We want to do our part, and we won't be turned away." He points his spear at the ugly ape illusion. "I want to show my daughter one of that thing's teeth as a trophy tonight."
    The Bear is Back.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Set Al-Sayyid
    Changeling Fighter/Hexblade
    AC: 17 HP: 34/34
    PP: 11 PIv: 12 PIs: 9
    Conditions: Iumenta Pox (currently no symptoms)
    Concentration: --

Set receives the disembodied voice first with momentary panic, then with relief as he realizes it's a simple spell woven from Mal's music rather than the voice of a Master invading his mind. Anger threatens to pull a shadow over Set's mind, but where just days ago he would've been blind to the needs of the moment, he could now see clearly through the veil. Biting the inside of his cheek, Set takes a breath to steady himself before sending his response.

"It was never my wish to make you a tool to my purposes, Mal, and if that is what you took from my actions, then allow me to apologize. I've no wish to command you. I've only sought for you to respect Selissa's wishes, and to a lesser extent my own privacy. Let me be brief so that we can carry forward instead of looking back. I will not command you. In return, I ask that you do not command me. I will not seek your permission to have words in private with an acquaintance of mine. Likewise, I will not intrude upon your own affairs.

"Do we have an accord?"

4. - Top - End - #754

Mal
    Levistus Tiefling Bard 4
    AC: 14 HP: 34/34
    PP: 11 PIv: 13 PIs: 11
    Spell Slots: 1st - 4/4 2nd - 3/3
    Magic Initiate: 1/1
    Fey Touched: 1st - 1/1 2nd - 1/1
    Levistus Legacy: 2nd - 1/1
    Bardic Inspiration: 4/4
    Healer's Kit: 20/20
    Conditions: --

Mal replied firmly, "I care not for the private affairs of an exile and wild elf. Maus is Moira's concern, and had I not come to make acquaintance, we would have two giants to fell instead of one. As a measure of mutuality, I shall ensure no one can eavesdrop on your and Selissa's engagement with the Elder."

The tiefling elongated the final stroke, letting the song hover in the air for Set's reply. He then stowed the viol at the approach of two guardsmen from the village. Mal inspected them with his gaze as a commander might investigate a soldier's attire and fitness. He then smiled and said warmly, "A fine goal to have. Dam'ess would have use of such valor, especially when we make our temporary leave. I only request you make your intentions known to the good Elder so that he might bless your endeavor. We will look forward to having fine masters of the pike in our midst."

Mal looked to Selissa and Set to see whether they stood ready. He understood the good Doctor may linger to separate villagers from their coin before dashing to join them. Vargath, he surmised, would always be ready to hinge a door or unhinge a jaw. He looked back over the quaint village, thinking, Do not despise the day of small beginnings.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Cast message to Set.

Spoiler: Mal's Notes
    Show
    Set: outcast of Abydos / Romantic connection for Moira?
    Selissa: Blighted or reconstructed wood elf? Purported Scout.
    Vargath: Afflicted Lycanthrope seeking to suspend his curse
    Mandaras: Rival to Dr. Fixer.
    Dr. Fixer: Moira's lieutenant and cultivates relations with the locals of Vale.
    Elder Maus: Seeks to kill Moira. Hired mercenaries who betrayed him.
    --Healed to his full 9ft height.
    --Disbelieves Moira's insights; seeks to end her directly or indirectly.
    --Seeks us to verify the truths of Moira's claims--or stop her by any means necessary.

Barlgura: Demon loosed by summoning ritual on the road to Dam'ess.

Report daily updates to Mistress Moira at last light.

Last edited by Theophilus; 2021-04-24 at 09:01 AM.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

Vargath Hubrecht

"Valour." Vargath near enough spits when he hears Mal describe the married couple's actions. The revulsion in the pit of his stomach bubbles far harder than even the disgust he felt at yesterday's vomiting undead monster. "A daughter." He steps towards them. Long, heavy strides. He towers over them both, and for a moment briefly considers making the difference greater. "You have a daughter. And you were planning on, what? Charging off together to die romantically?" he shoves the man in the chest. Not a punch, but enough to push him slightly. "And what then? The village hails your sacrifice, they raise glass in your honour and glory tonight. And then your daughter has to deal with no parents. Live with the knowledge that you saw 'glory' as more important than being her parents. More important than her." He's incensed, his eyes bulging with anger at them. Sacrificing oneself for the family was one thing, but these two weren't doing that. Children. Idiot children chasing stories that idiot elders had filled their minds with of heroes and villains. The idea that parents would do this to their own child, he's liable to break them here and now, and he has little doubt that he'd be able to do so with ease. "You come here with borrowed weapons, scavenged armour," he flicks a gauntletted finger against the patchwork gear to accentuate his point, "and want to talk to us about fighting? Have you even held a spear before today?"

His face is mere inches from the woman's, his breath heavy, heated. He could crush her like a twig, and the demon ape could likely do worse. "I've been fighting since I was a child. This is my life." He wasn't done, the momentum of his words carrying him forward even as his mind sought to catch up to what he was saying. "Animals. Monsters. Men. I've killed my fair share, and more besides, and I know you for what you are. Deadweight." He spits the word in the mans face, droplets splattering across his cheeks. "Fighting isn't something you just pick up one day and do. It is hard work. Every day. On the body and the mind." He finally takes a step back, exiting their personal space, though it doesn't do much to change the height difference between them.

"Go. Home. If you want to show your daughter something tonight, have it be yourselves alive and well. A far better gift than a demon tooth would ever be. If you are serious about learning to fight, we can talk training before I leave the village." First the doors and now training. He was a few steps away from becoming the chieftain in waiting at this rate.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

6. - Top - End - #756

SwashbucklerGuy

Set Al-Sayyid

A chorus of thoughts run through Set's mind as he grits his teeth, preparing to reply, but a moment later his jaw relaxes. There was a demon in the forest, and very soon both of them would be called on to kill or be killed. The minutiae regarding their own petty argument was a drop in the bucket compared to what lay ahead. The response from Set is slow in coming and simple in nature.

"The past is done. If we're to have a future, let's focus on finding and killing this demon presently."

While Set had been far too distracted with his own thoughts to comment on the villagers approach, he doesn't miss Mal's lofty response, nor Vargath's more heated one. If Set thought a word from him would aid the Mighty he would give it, but for now all he can think is that he wouldn't want to be standing in their boots.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ogre in the Playground

The Outskirts of Dam'ess

The couple smile at Mal's words, which stir a sense of pride in their hearts. Vargath's words, however, only cause their mouths to form into bitter lines. The woman, seemingly the more dominant of the two, hardens her features and white knuckles her spear until Vargath exits their space, while the male seems more hesitant and worried. She speaks, her words even more dedicated than before. "You have fought since you were a child, master half-orc, because threats to you and yours insisted you fight. We only seek to do the same. Say what you will about our skill with arms, but never question our dedication to protect our homes, our neighbors, and our CHILD from whatever would threaten our way of life. We will not back down just because you say so. One day, long ago, you decided that you would risk your life for those you loved. Do not try to make us walk away from the same decision." Her husband turns to her and opens his mouth as though to express his agreement with the half-orc warrior, but instead takes strength from her steadfastness, turning to Vargath and nodding in agreement with her, saying "It is not a question if you would have us. We'll follow you even if you all say no. So unless you are prepared to beat us up and tie us down, we're coming to help. That is our final word." And unless someone is willing to do just that, they keep their word as the group moves on to pick up the trail of the demon.

In the Hartswood, a Few Hours Later

After reaching the location of their battle against the spider and the walking corpse, the party and their two hanger-ons, with Selissa in the lead and Alvis guiding them in the air, begins to follow the back trail of the abyssal beast. It is not difficult. Demons are immortal engines of chaos and destruction, and while some of the more powerful members of their ilk are intelligent enough to deploy subtlety and cunning, that does not appear to be the case with the barlgura. Selissa couldn't lose the trail if she tried, and with Alvis' occasional direction the trail grows fresher and fresher the further you all follow it into the forest. Small trees have been ripped out, large trees have been torn down, and the undergrowth has been devastated in a path of destruction that even a blind man could follow. It becomes more difficult when the creature's size shrinks again, but only marginally. By mid day, Selissa would estimate from the fresh sap and juices of the broken plants that you are merely an hour or two behind the demon, who slows down every once in a while to vent it's rage against the foliage like a giant tantruming child. Entering a clearing, the trail breaks for a moment, and as Selissa and Alvis begin to look around to reacquire it, something strange happens.

It is Selissa who first notices the gleaming sheen of sunlight on bronze, coupled with the smell of fresh blood alongside something all together more foul. She finds another ape-like foot print next to a small pool, pressed deep into the mud by the bulk of your prey, and as she lifts her head the glare of light momentarily blinds her. A cloud passes over the sun, and when her vision clears she spots the massive form of the Burnished Hart, the elk-like spirit made out of metallic bronze plates and green patina that claims these woods, standing over the remains of a smaller all together more normal deer. Once the rest of the party exits a stand of tall grass, they all bear witness to the mighty and enigmatic creature as well.

The regular deer, a red furred doe, lies broken and bloody in a pitiful pile at the spirit's hooves. It is obvious that it was nearly shredded, it's spine shattered and twisted at an unnatural angle and several large bites being torn from it's hide. The spirit, easily as tall as the Chief, tilts it's head down and sniffs the corpse before inclining it's head and neck and releasing a booming, nasally cry that sounds like the call of a deer amplified ten fold. As the sound echoes through the clearing, the grasses and flowers around the mauled deer grow faster than any natural plant and wrap the body up in a cocoon of weeds and wild flowers, hiding it from sight. Then the Hart turns to face you all, which sends the awed villagers to their knees in reverence. An androgynous voice fills your minds instead of your ears as the spirit of the hunt addresses you all.

Spoiler: Telepathy
    Show
    The mighty hunters return victorious, with trophies and new companions. I see you hunt new and more dangerous game now. That is good. Your last hunt entertained me, even though you had the element of surprise on your side and your prey was caught at it's most vulnerable. I do not think I will allow you such an advantage this time around, if only to see how you fair when you are on more level ground with your foe. If you fall to the abyss spawn I may take up the trail myself. It has been long since such worthy and dangerous prey has entered my forest, and I cannot allow this despoiling to continue. But you are first on the trail, and I will not interfere with your right to challenge the abomination. If you would have it, step forward and receive my blessing again. It will give you no advantage this time, but even as this world turns it's back on the old ways, I still hold to them. Do you?

It scuffs the ground with it's metallic hoof and looks at you all expectantly with it's glowing eyes, which gradually shift from a molten orange the color of fall leaves to a fresh spring green, then back again.
    The Bear is Back.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

Vargath Hubrecht

Outskirts

For a moment he considers it. He had ample rope, he could knock them out, bind them to a tree or fence and they'd get hours of journey ahead of them - if they even bothered to follow at all after being humiliated by him. His hand reaches back for the warhammer on its hook, lips wet with anticipation...before he lets it drop. Instead he unslings his backpack and fishes out his crossbow and a case of bolts, thrusting them into the hands of the woman. "Keep your distance. Clean shots only. You don't want to hit one of us." Sadly he only has one crossbow to give. He turns away with a sigh. Maybe with this at least one of them would live.

Trail

A day ago, Vargath would have considered shirking the blessing. It was not his faith. His beliefs lay with his ancestors, and the spirits that guided him and the other Bloodwolves. Yet...His left arm twitches as his thoughts go to the bite. Even with no promise of an advantage he's not in a position to turn down help if it's offered. He doesn't bow, nor lower his head, but he does step forward to be given the blessing. If it somehow saved him from getting infected with a demon's curse, it would be worth it, and he doubts his ancestors would quibble too much. If they wanted to get annoyed at it they can bless Vargath themselves, frankly. If anything they'd probably be encouraged at his out of the box thinking. Not that this was a particularly hard enigma to wrap one's mind around.

Show

Though he does intend to get them back at some point (possibly from their dead bodies), Vargath is temporarily giving up ownership of his crossbow and bolts - silvered and non-silvered both.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

Selissa Betula
    Wood Elf Scout Rogue
    AC: 16 HP: 31/31
    PP: 16
    Conditions: None

At the village

Seeing the villager pair were not dissuaded by Vargath's words, Selissa clicked her tongue in mild exasperation. That said, while the two - it was... Hans and Hildebrand, wasn't It? She didn't really recall - were foolish, at least they were brave enough to fight and smart enough to at least scrounge up armour.

Still, though, what a pain. It'd be much harder to keep them alive.
    "Brave. Stupid. Stay at the back. Protect the gnome," Selissa finally said to the two. "One of us says to do something, do it. No questioning. Don't get close. You'll die. No help then. Understood?"
    She glanced between the two, impressing the importance of her orders. Gods of leaf and bark, if her old party were here...

Well, they weren't, and likely would never be again, so she'd have to make do and try to prevent another orphan being made in the village.

Trail

The elf of the wilds stepped forward. She did not kneel - it was not the way of wood elves - but she made a respectful gesture with her natural hand.

When she spoke, it was once again in sylvan.
    "<Always have,>" she said shortly. "<The green path still holds among the woods-kin.>"

That said the damn thing could at least offer a blessing that helped. It wasn't like she wasn't going to try to attack the thing from ambush.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

10. - Top - End - #760

SwashbucklerGuy

Set Al-Sayyid

Outskirts

Set's eyes widen in surprise as the woman stands firm instead of melting under the Mighty's gaze, but he says nothing. If these two are not convinced already, Set doubts he can find the words to turn them away now. Indeed, Vargath and Selissa must've come to the same conclusion as he thrusts a crossbow into her hands and she implores them to keep their distance.

As the group steps out onto the forest trail, Set is lost in thought. A demon's tooth wouldn't comfort a little girl that had lost her mother. The hopes and prayers of a community wouldn't bring back her father. Even more unsettling was the thought that it might endanger Vargath. Would he put himself in harms way just to protect them? He was already willing to risk a wayward crossbow bolt from the woman. Would he take a strike from the barlgura that would otherwise fall on the man? Set isn't sure, but he feels certain enough that as long as the man is with them, he would find a reason to run in to his death if he wasn't given an alternative. His wife had a crossbow, and that at least afforded her the opportunity to feel useful. What did he have? When an idea occurs to Set he moves beside the two villagers, stepping up next to the man.

"A noble thing, to seek to protect your family and your people," Set begins cautiously. "We are alike in our desire to do that. We even share a favored weapon," he continues, gesturing to his own spear. "If you'd like, I could teach you some small measure of how we'll hunt this demon together while Selissa tracks it. What are your names?" he asks, giving them a chance to respond before continuing.

"Just last night, after the celebration died down, the Chief and I were discussing general strategy," Set lies, trying to approach the subject as if it comes from a source they might actually esteem. "I remember he said something like, 'every Chief knows the importance of holding a strong force in reserve.'" Set thinks back on his own half-remembered lessons, trying to give off an air of quiet confidence despite his own anxiety about the challenge ahead. "It has fallen to me in the past, but if you will join me," Set says to the man, "we'll form that reserve together. While the vanguard," Set says, gesturing to the Mighty, "charges in headlong to start the battle, we stand firm. We wait for the critical moment that will decide the battle and tilt the scales. It takes discipline and exactly the kind of inner strength you and your wife have already shown just by being here when so many in your village are not." Set's mouth twitches beneath the shemagh as he seeks the right tack to bind the man to his side, regardless of the words pouring out.

"We know from Doctor Madaras that the demon may summon a second of its kind. We must stand ready to repel that second demon if it should come, or the first demon if it should break through to our back line. Do you understand? The battle can quickly turn against us if we do not allow your wife and the others in back to fire freely. Will you follow me in this battle? When the critical moment arrives, I will give the signal and we will charge in together," he finishes, feeling certain the signal would never come. It would mean holding back himself, but he at least had a means to target the barlgura from range. Madaras had said they could take on one or two of these creatures. Either that was true and they had the numbers to defeat a pair of barlgura soundly without aid, or it wasn't and they would all die regardless of what the man did or didn't do.

Trail

Following the path of destruction, Set shoots a glance occasionally at the villagers, as well as Doctor Madaras and Mal to see their reactions to it. Though he figures the latter two were at least somewhat accustomed to the sort of carnage this beast had wrought just passing through, he's curious to confirm the villagers are ill-prepared for the sight. As they finally reach a break in the trail, Set's eyes recenter as they find the Hart waiting for them. Set watches fascinated as the spirit cries out, embracing the deer with magical growth as the forest takes back its own.

"<Greetings again, Noble One,>" Set says humbly, bowing deeply. Though he'd never held the Green Faith, Set had felt the Hunter's presence in a way that demanded respect from the very first moment. While the gods had abandoned this place, the Burnished Hart still roamed and still hunted. A blessing from the Hart meant more than any blessing from gods who couldn't be bothered to help anyway.

"Traditions are important," Set says, switching to common. "They bind us to the things in our past worth continuing. But I do not know, <Noble One,> whether the Old Ways of my people are a match for yours. I only know that I will receive your blessing with gratitude, advantage or no," Set finishes, stepping forward and bowing a second time.

Show

Deception: 23 in discord to lie to some villagers

Last edited by Riggdgames; 2021-04-25 at 09:31 PM.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

Doctor Ignacius Madaras, Medicus Extravagant!
    Gnome Alchemist Artificer | Raven Homunculus
    AC: 14 HP: 27/27 | AC 13 HP: 9/9
    PP: 11 PIv: 16 PIs: 11 | PP: 14 PIv: 10 PIs: 10
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

The good doctor was smitten by the Bronze Stag appearing in front of them. As a somewhat lax follower of the Green Faith he never knew the guardian spirits his religion revered were actually real, or at least he did not believe it. The gnome rubbed his eyes, and subconsciously commanded his bird to fly closer. Seeing both creatures side by side, it was not a coincidence both shared remarkable design similarities. It was as if Alvis was designed after the demideities of the forest.

The gnome stumbled forward from his protected stance, to get closer to his faith's living proof. Ignacius kneeled, which did not make the small man any smaller, as he stammered. I...we....HOW? I thought you were more metaphorical protectors. he shouts even when trying to whisper. Decades of no worship on his part made the next part for him uncomfortable as he grovels. I am sorry, I never participated in father's ceremonies. But his way of life was never for me. his magically billowing cape fluttering majestically behind his back made this display more awkward and degrading.

Looking back at the group, he jumps up suddenly, brushing off the dust. We are hunting a demon wreaking havoc onto your grounds, he says regaining a tiny shred of confidence. All we ... I want is secure passage through your woods. If you call it a blessing, so be it. the doctor adds unsure if he is even allowed to speak for the group. All seeing him from the front can see his face is flush with embarassment, even his ears become somewhat rosy if you have a good eye.

Spoiler: Deception "DC" 5 aka painfully obvious
    Show
    Ignacius avoids using his name in this conversation. He may use a fake name, or his name could be muddied in the spirit's eyes. Maybe something else entirely. He also tries to hide his buried faith from you, but badly.

12. - Top - End - #762

Mal
    Levistus Tiefling Bard 4
    Fey Touched: 1st - 1/1 2nd - 1/1
    Bardic Inspiration: 4/4

Township

Mal listened to the others do their damnedest to rid the cohort of the proffered help. Inwardly, he deduced this recruitment mission of Moira's seemed likely to end with as many as she could previously count on one hand--less if these noble vagabonds perished along the way. Outwardly, he gestured toward the road in a bid to ferry the troupe on its intended mission. The villagers would benefit from fighting from the rear, he had no doubt.

Glen

The tiefling had drawn his ruby-studded rapier as the team maneuvered into the thickets. Besides the incarnadine pommel, the blade appeared otherwise unadorned. He followed behind Selissa's shadow and Vargath's march, maneuvering with a soft, sure gait. This was not his first hunt, though he would admit that he had yet to pursue such a large specimen of his ancestral quarry.

The appearance of the brazen hart, along with its intrusion into his mind, instinctively set Mal on the defensive. His mind reflexively recited before transitioning to a more formal etiquette, "'Plunge a hand into a man's pocket is theft. Pry into the sanctity of his soul...' What an unexpected privilege to commune, fey spirit. We know that no hunter likes to approach its prey openly, whether man or beast. The wretched denizen of the abyss will seek its own advantages as befit its unmoored malice. While I would receive your boon in respect of your domain, please allow us to hunt in our chosen manner. Why ask the wolf to fly as the hawk, or the bear to pounce like a lynx?"

Mal watched the others to see their responses to this magnificent creature. The attache followed a more ancient path than these supposed Old Ways. Yet, he understood the value of paying respects to a powerful being in its own dominion. One does not spit on a baron's ring because you know his liege lord.

Show

Show
    --Seeks us to verify the truths of Moira's claims--or stop her by any means necessary.

Brazen Hart: Spirit of the wild wood around Dam'ess. Seeks to test the party's mettle by forcing an open fight with the Barlgura.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ogre in the Playground

The Outskirts of Dam'ess

Hildebrand takes the crossbow and the bolts, staring at the silver ones in wonder for a moment before slinging the quivers over her back, fastening her spear there as well. She hefts the crossbow with unfamiliarity, nervously slides a bolt into the mechanism, and turns to the edge of the road and sights in on a nearby tree. A squirrel was out on a branch, manically working at a nut, and after a few seconds of aiming a bolt passed harmlessly over the squirrels head and disappeared into the forest. The rodent dropped it's nut and leapt to a nearby tree, chattering angrily as it dashed away into thicker foliage. But, on the bright side, she only missed by a foot, and as Hildebrand is quick to point out- "The demon is bigger than that squirrel, right?"

The couple nod fervently when Selissa gives them order. Staying in the back on your own lack of bravery was apparently cowardly in their minds, but being ordered to do so was discipline, and discipline they could handle. Hans, pulled away by Set, provides both their names readily enough, though he does act sheepish and cautious as he listens to Set, keeping his eyes on his feet as the road gets rocky. The man's eyes go wide with reverence as Set mentions the Chief, however, and he looks Set in the face when he proposes hanging back. When Set is done, he nods slowly for a few seconds before saying "I would be honored, sir, to be part of the... reserve with you. When the battle needs winning, we'll rush em! At your command, of course." He raises his hand and drops it down as though to mimic striking the fatal blow of the fight. Then he stumbles on a stone and nearly falls face first into Vargath's armored back. At the last second Hans thinks to lean on his spear, and Milo's fine craftsmanship supports his weight readily enough for him to stumble back to his feet. He blushes heavily and resumes his gaze at the road to avoid embarrassing himself again.

The Glen

The Burnished Hart tilts it's head at your words, your thoughts, and your bows. His scrutiny is serene and alien. When you have all moved forward to accept his blessing, his thoughts touch yours again.
    Show
    You all pay the proper reverence. Your hunt is noble. And you have newcomers to your party. One has walked away from the Green Path. One serves another ancient concept. And two are but children who have hunted nothing more intimidating than a buck or a boar. He turns to Mal, and though there is no change in his features there is mirth in his next words. You have the tongue of a songbird, fiend touched. I will grant your request. Let you approach this hunt with your own skill. If you surprise the demon, you may yet win. And I will grant a boon to those I have not aided in the past. I bestow on you four the tenacity of the badger. May you take on a foe many times your size and fight it to your last breath.

The Hart does not look towards the pool, but a globule of water roughly the size of a bucket levitates upward and hovers over to all of you. It floats above your heads to come directly in front of the massive spirit. It tilts it's head upward and seemingly takes a drink from it, then the water remaining glitters, shimmers, and glows as the entity pushes pure light outwards into the water. It diffuses and the brilliance disappears, and then divides into six streams, each coming down to splash against your faces. Of the party who received a blessing to go into battle against the Lord of Change there is no effect, but for those who are meeting the Hart for the first time warmth flows downward into their bodies. Mal and Ignacius each recognize this as pure divine magic, though as the feeling fades away and the water drips down your chin the effect of this anointment is not obvious. That completed, the deific stag bounds away, leaping thirty feet to the nearest tree line and bounding away. His telepathic voice visits each of you one last time, with the exact same mental volume and force.

Show
    Good luck, tiny hunters. I will eagerly watch your life and death struggle.

The Hartswood- Dam'ess Cemetery

For those who went this way during the cult hunt, the cemetery is a familiar sight. For everyone else, it doesn't give the best first impression that the others were treated to. A lone house sits at the end of a path. Or it did. Now there is a pile of splintered boards, half-broken walls that barely remain standing in patches, and wreckage of long forgotten items left abandoned in the home. Those who came through originally were told that the last owner died years ago from a fever, so while the destruction is a bit intimidating Hildebrand quickly eliminates any fear of loss of life with a brief explanation. Her and Hans look at the devastation with awe, but while they are distracted the rest of you notice the true threat.

Standing on all four limbs around twenty feet from the great Grandfather oak in the center of the sanctified cemetery behind the house is a seven foot tall ape with scarlet fur, exposed black skin across it's hands, feet, and torso, and large golden armbands. It is difficult to see from this distance, but it appears to be straining against some sort of invisible force, trying to force itself forward. It is back to you, attempting to walk closer to the central tree, but is seemingly unable to do so. Behind it is a trail of desecration and devastation that exemplifies the putrid, destructive chaos innate to demon kind- bodies dug from graves only to be broken like dolls, coffins with their contents spilled out ripped from the earth, and gravestones snapped like clap board by fearfully strong hands. But yet the demon cannot reach the center of the grave yard to vent it's eternal thirst for destruction on the tree. It strains one more time before it's posture shifts, it's head snaps upwards, and it turns around with unnatural speed towards the party of would be hunters. Now you can all see blood red eyes, large tusks, and a cruel look of savage stupidity that carries malice like a crossbow bolt to your hearts. Hanging around it's neck is a necklace of desiccated ears, eyes, and fingers strung along a leather strip of questionable origin. For a split second the demon takes in all of you before bawling out a challenge with such force that it shakes leaves from trees as it beats it's chest with fists the size of frying pans.

Show
    Monkey demon is 80 feet away from you all. The demon rolled a nat 20 on perception that just beat out Selissa's Stealth roll and trounced everyone else. Initiative is as follows-

Vargath
    Hans and Hildegard

Barlgura

Dr. M
    Selissa
    Set
    Mal

For those of you new to my initiative system, that means Vargath, Hans, and Hildegard will go first. I'm letting Vargath post before them out of courtesy. Next the demon goes, and then the initiative becomes All the players, followed by the helpful NPC's, followed by the enemy. I find this eases things for PBP and keeps waiting for someone else to post to a minimum. So Mal has to wait for Vargath, the couple, and the demon, but after that he can post in any order he likes. DM me in the discord if you have any questions.
    The Bear is Back.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

Vargath Hubrecht
    Conditions: Infected (Lycanthropy), -1 INT, Giant's Might (1 min)

The Battle is Joined

Vargath meets the demon's howl of challenge with a roar of his own, his bellowing cry serving to signal that there would be no retreat from them, and that they would meet it head on. He bursts forward from the group on heavy feet that grow heavier, louder and larger with each step as the giant's runic lettering sweeps across his body, shining with light as his body expands to overshadow even the demon's size. The monster was still too far for him to bring into melee, and he'd handed off his only ranged weapon. Any weapon can become ranged if you throw it hard enough, however.

As he reaches the apex of his movement Vargath pulls his arm back before jumping into a spin, aiming to add further momentum to the throw as he launches his warhammer from his hand. Whether it hit or not truly wasn't important, though he was aiming for it. What was important was that it saw him as the primary threat. He'd already interspersed himself between the monster and the group, but he didn't want to be bypassed if it targeted the less hardy members.

Before his feet touch the ground he's already got his axe in hand, ready to meet the monster head to head.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Move: 30' towards the enemy.
    Bonus Action: Giant's Might. Grow LARGE.
    Action: Throw Silvered Warhammer. (1d20+6)[24] Disadvantage due to range: (1d20+6)[21] Damage: (1d4+4)[6]+(1d6)[4] from Giant's Might. (+2 damage from dueling that I forgot on the rolls)
    Object interaction: Draw silvered battleaxe
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-04-27 at 05:48 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ogre in the Playground

In a split second after the threat had been identified, Vargath's roar sounds and his hammer flies. It strikes true, impacting the barlgura directly in the chest. The creature grunts, looking down at the fallen hammer for a second in surprise, as though it was under the assumption that it could not be harmed by a mortal. Then it looks up up UP at Vargath, it's eyes growing wide, first with surprise and then with blood thirsty anticipation. It takes a few steps forward, as though it meant to pick up speed and crash into Vargath like a wave of pure violence. Then, seemingly from nowhere, a bolt appears in the demon's forehead, the momentum of which sends the beast back in it's paces. The bolt doesn't penetrate, instead leaving a meaty gouge along the balgura's brow that continues down the side of it's head, finally ending by shredding the creature's ear to pulp. It screams in pain at the blow that seemingly equaled Vargath's for power. Raising it's massive fist, the fiend cups it's ear then gives a second scream as it tears the remaining flesh from it's own skull. In the back of the party, Hildebrand doesn't celebrate. She just pulls back the mechanism and loads another bolt into her borrowed crossbow, features set in a determined scowl.

The demon takes stock of the situation in a single moment, eyes zipping between all the party members and face scrunching up either in pain from it's two wounds or from the process of counting. It seems to come to a decision quite quickly as it begins to barrel forward towards Vargath. It does not, however, move at full speed. It begins hooting and howling aggressively, beating it's chest as it moves. The drumming is so physically powerful that the impact of flesh on flesh vibrates the air and reaches your own bodies. While this display would be intimidating for some, it's true nefarious purpose is revealed.

It starts with a crackle of lightning the size of a large house spider, hanging in the air next to the balgura, and travelling forward with the demon as it awkwardly steps forward on two legs. Soon the chest drumming can be heard in stereo, with a distant hooting, howling, and pounding seeming to come from all directions at one. The crackling lightning begins to grow, and as it does the air around it begins to BEND and FOLD in ways that make all who look upon it dizzy and a little sick. In the span of six seconds, the distant sounds grow louder and louder, until with a great and terrible ripping sound a second balgura, at least two feet larger than the first, runs through the boundaries between it's home and your plane like it is made out of paper. In it's wake you can see hole between the realms, and on the opposite side you can see a lush, psychedelic jungle where a steady beat and hiss of acid rain pounds down in waves. But the hole quickly knits itself shut, leaving you with a bit more than twice the amount of demon that you'd first expected.

The two demons exchange words in a language that has the rough effect of a cheese grater on all your ears. More seems to be said with primitive posturing and body language than the words could convey, though for all you know they could be reciting lines from their favorite plays. Mal recognizes the base of the language as Infernal, but where the language of devils is strict beyond measure and regimented beyond reason, this takes all the best qualities of it and shreds them with growls, hoots, and hisses that can barely be called a language. They seem to come to some accord, and the two towering demons turn towards the party with grins on their faces.

Show
    The first balgura took a hit from both Vargath and Hildebrand. Then it decided to cheat and summon another of it's kind. Both are now 30 feet from Vargath's forward position, and 40 from the rest of the party. Hans is holding action and trying not to pee his pants.

The act of tearing a new butt hole in space time is... mentally taxing on the viewer. Everyone needs to roll a DC 12 Madness save. Things just got REAL serious in here.

We are now at the
    Dr. M
    Selissa
    Set
    Mal
    portion of the initiative, for those of you keeping score at home.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-04-27 at 08:27 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

16. - Top - End - #766

Mal
    Levistus Tiefling Bard 4
    Fey Touched: 1st - 0/1 2nd - 1/1
    Bardic Inspiration: 3/4

Maledictus watched the revelations unfold like the opening sequence of a battle. The scouting failed to achieve surprise, the initial salvo produced noticeable results, and the enemy called its reserves into action. An internal fury cooled his blood at the vision of a barlgura; the second only intensified the glacial disdain for these reckless vessels of destruction. The tiefling raised his ruby-studded rapier in a precise, formal salute as one hailing his mortal foe and next victim.

He pronounced an incantation in the immaculate, pure tongue of the Nine. Vargath, Selissa, and himself feel as if their spines forged into steel and their minds blazed with cruel clarity. Mal declared in common as he walked the line between the reserves and the advancers, "By the Dukes! I am seeing double. A swift death shall be a generous gift to these unwashed manges. Focus your fires on the first. Use the bawler's bloodied ear as a mark."

He looked to Vargath and quipped, "Go for the head."

Show

Action: Cast Bless on Vargath, Selissa, and Mal
    Bonus Action: Bardic Inspiration to Vargath (1d6)
    Move: Back and forth like a field commander moving amongst his men, happily ending up a few feet behind the frontliners.

Spoiler: Cutting Words
    Show
    Mal would insult a Barlgura as a reaction when it rolls between 8-12 on a d20 for an attack roll.

Mal would insult a Barlgura who crits as a reaction, deducting his bardic die from the damage.

Mal would insult a Barlgura as a reaction who rolls an ability check to break out of a spell or effect (e.g. Wrathful Smite), if the unmodified d20 reads:
    — 8-12 on Str
    — 10-16 on Dex
    — 8-12 on Con
    — 12-17 on Int
    — 11-17 on Wis
    — 12-18 on Cha

*All d20s are unmodified values.

Show

Brazen Hart: Spirit of the wild wood around Dam'ess. Seeks to test the party's mettle by forcing an open fight with the Barlgura.

Last edited by Theophilus; 2021-04-28 at 06:25 AM.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

Concentration: Faerie Fire (first Barlgura)

Just try not to look at the abnormality of the subspace between worlds. the doctor advises the others before approaching. I can't get a good throw from here. The titanic ape roars. Nevermind, I'll just stay right here. He shakes a bottle with a slightly blueish glowing content. It starts radiating light and becomes almost painful to look at, as he chucks it amidst the demons, bonding to one of the apes, while the other avoids the glowing stuff largely.

Finally Alvis takes flight shooting at the now properly illuminated ape demon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Faerie Fire to include both. Pure saves are 7 and 17 in order, so I assume the original Barlgura was hit, the other was not.
    However Alvis still manages to only get a 13 in total to hit, I assume it does not hit but if for some miraculous reason it does, it deals 6 force damage.

Last edited by Spore; 2021-04-27 at 10:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

Vargath Hubrecht

The Battle is Joined

With the successful hit from his hammer, Vargath feels quite encouraged. So much so that even the addition of a second demonic foe doesn't shake him or slow him down. With axe in hand he closes the distance with the first demon, still smarting from the attacks and now gleaming from the Doctor's alchemical mixture. As always he aims solely for killing blows, looking to end the creature's miserable existence on this plane before it can do more harm or cause more grief. He brings his enormous axe down at the beast's head, then immediately rushes a second wide slice aiming to cut the monster open at the belly. They fed, clearly, which meant they had organs - stomachs, that once opened would be difficult to close again. He'd cut the monster down to size, and end its threat once and for all.

Show

Move: 30' towards the enemy, ideally engaging both in melee with his LARGENESS but if only one, he chooses the faerie fired target.
    Bonus Action: None. Just in case.
    Action: Attack the faerie fired target, with advantage. (1d20+6)[23](1d20+6)[23]+(1d4)[2] from bless. Damage: (1d8+6)[13]+(1d6)[5] from Giant's Might.
    Free Action: Action Surge. Attack the faerie fired target again, (1d20+6)[11](1d20+6)[9]+(1d4)[1] from bless. Edit: Plus 5 from Bardic Inspiration, for a total attack roll of 17 Damage: (1d8+6)[8]+(1d6)[6] from Giant's Might.
    Pre-Emptive Reaction: If either demonboy attacks and hits one of the two civvies, Invoke Skye rune to redirect the attack to the other demonboy. He will choose not to make an OA in order to save a civvie if necessary.

Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-04-28 at 05:16 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

19. - Top - End - #769

SwashbucklerGuy

Set Al-Sayyid
    Concentration: Hex (Demon 1, Dexterity impacted)

As the Mighty charges forward, growing into a literal giant step by step, Set has to fight down the urge to charge after him. Unlike so many fights before, he couldn’t give into the flow of battle and mindlessly run into the fray. Vargath and Selissa had both shown through word and deed how important it was that Hans and Hildebrand survived this fight, and Set can't ignore it. Before, helping Vargath had always meant standing side by side with him, but today it meant standing beside Hans and keeping him well away from the fight. As the Mighty connects with his hammer, Set loses a few seconds as he consciously forces himself to stay put. He likely would’ve been brought to a halt regardless as the demon tears a hole in the boundary between planes.

The sight of another world tugs at Set’s sanity for a few moments, his vision blurring as his balance starts to waver, but an unlikely source helps keep him anchored as Mal’s words rise above the crackle of energy and roar of battle. Barely conscious of it, Set nevertheless keys into the calm, self-assured tone that projects over the field. His focus snaps back into place as Madaras paints the first demon with an explosion of light and the Mighty’s axe rains down on it in a shower of blood.

"<Wrack,>" Set hisses in Elder speech, pulling the coin free from his pouch and coercing the demon's shadow to betray it's owner. He quickly follows it up with a terse, "<reach,>" pulling his own shadow into his spear before launching its energy across the cemetery.

"Steady," Set calls in common just above the din, as much to himself as to Hans. Worrying about the villager might be a luxury with a second demon having joined the first, but Set would not abandon him, not while the others were alright.

Show

Move: None
    Object Interaction: Pull coin from belt pouch
    Bonus Action: Cast Hex (target 1st demon)
    Action: Cast Eldritch Blast (target 1st demon)

Eldritch Blast attack: (1d20+6)[26]
    with advantage (Faerie Fire): (1d20+6)[12]
    Damage: (1d10)[4] force plus (1d6)[3] necrotic damage

Added crit damage from discord: 2 force plus 2 necrotic

Last edited by Riggdgames; 2021-04-28 at 07:59 PM.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

Selissa Betula
    Wood Elf Scout Rogue

The battle was joined. Selissa felt disgust take root within her as she glimpsed a distant, alien forest, leaves irridescent and swollen with evil, pulsating and swaying out of rhythm with the wind - but it did not unnerve her, but merely hardened her resolve.

She said nothing, as she so often did not, neither words of anger at the foe or encouragement to her allies. She had to trust in their ability to not get killed by demon monkeys - or at least, for them to trust in her ability of the same. Trust in allies. Hurm.

A plan began to take form. For now, though, she pulled out that potion the gnome had given her. Before she could hesitate, she pulled out the cork with her teeth and drank. It went down like-

-Well, like gravel, with the harsh copper tang of the air before lightning, remarkably solid for something liquid. She fought the urge to spit it out and let the bottle drop, even as her hand was reaching for an arrow.

She backed up until she was close to being concealed by the forest surrounding the graveyard, readied her bow, and planted an arrow firmly in the chest of the injured demon. As she did so, she melted back into the greenery.

Spoiler
    Show

Action: 18 to hit and 17 silver/maybe magic damage on the injured demon
    BA: 26 to hide
    Object interaction: chug jug of speed leaf

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

Hans looks nervously at Set's fell magics, but holds his position for now, putting himself between the demons and his wife.

The first barlgura moves forward through a hail of axe blows, eldritch missiles, and an arrow that takes it straight in the skull. But the beast is either too resilient or too stupid to die. Vargath is alarmed that what would be mortal blows to organs and bones on a terrestrial being only elicits chunks of black meat and gouts of unnaturally red ichor- far too rank and sticky to be blood. It seems this creature is made of nothing but muscle and vitriol. With a bit of whatever constitutes it's brain leaking out of the arrow wound in it's head, the creature unleashes a tirade of blows against Vargath. It's bite rebounds off the warrior's raised shield, sending chips of demon tooth and tusk up at all angles, but it's heavy fists manage to bludgeon the giant half-orc through his armor. The beast is in it's death throes and is attempting to make one hell of a final stand.

Hildebrand (sic) fires her crossbow at the demon pummeling Vargath, but this shot is nowhere near as lucky, flying high over both rune knight and demon in an attempt to avoid hitting an ally.

The other balgura simply disappears.

Show
    Vargath takes 20 damage from two punch attacks. DC 13 Perception check to recognize that the second barlgura has not left the area, but it is moving around invisible.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-05-03 at 12:11 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

22. - Top - End - #772

Mal
    Levistus Tiefling Bard 4
    Spell Slots: 1st - 4/4 2nd - 2/3
    Bardic Inspiration: 2/4
    Concentrating: Bless (2nd round)

Maledictus marveled at the barlgura’s resilience. He did not like that the second disappeared, but he focused on the remaining. Tend to the known, then confirm the unknown.

The tiefling whistled a tune that only the foolish brute could perceive. The painfully precise words intended to burrow into its failing mind and activate its flight reflexes. If it did run, Mal assumed Vargath would cut him down.

Mal then called toward the woodline, "Archer, ready to drop the foe if he breaches the front."

Show

Action: Cast 2nd level Dissonant Whispers (DC 14 Wis) versus (4d6)[13] psychic damage and use its reaction to move its full move away from Mal. This would activate Vargath’s Opportunity Attack. On a save, take half damage and not use reaction to move.
    Bonus Action: Bardic Inspiration to Selissa (1d6)
    Move: Back to 30ft from front line

Show
    Mal would insult a Barlgura as a reaction when it hits Vargath with an attack roll (not a crit).

Mal would insult a Barlgura who crits as a reaction, deducting his bardic die from the damage.

Mal would insult a Barlgura as a reaction who rolls an ability check to break out of a spell or effect (e.g. Wrathful Smite) if it succeeds (not critical success)

Show

Last edited by Theophilus; 2021-05-01 at 10:01 PM.

23. - Top - End - #773

SwashbucklerGuy

Set Al-Sayyid
    Concentration: Hex (Demon 1, Dexterity impacted)

Set's eyes widen as the second barlgura seemingly blinks out of existence, disappearing from sight without leaving a portal in its wake. Before he can give it any thought, Set watches the first demon rain blows down on the Mighty, slamming heavy fists into Vargath's armor. Set subconsciously takes half a step forward before stopping himself, holding his position next to Hans, oblivious to the other man's discomfort. With a practiced gesture Set releases another salvo from his spear even as the barlgura's shadow claws and tears at its owner, ripping at flesh that seemingly can only be butchered, not broken.

Set is vaguely aware of a tactical retreat behind him to gain some added space, but his main focus lies in the other direction. Vargath was beyond strong, but his flesh was not that of a demon. If the demon's flesh wouldn't break, Set couldn't stand by holding Hans out of the fray when he needed to be in there. He would charge. While Set's focus is occupied on the Mighty's battle in front of him, he loses track of any concern regarding the second demon.

Show

Move: None
    Object Interaction: Put coin back into belt pouch
    Bonus Action: None
    Action: Cast Eldritch Blast (target visible demon)

Eldritch Blast attack: (1d20+6)[21]
    with advantage (Faerie Fire): (1d20+6)[10]
    Damage: (1d10)[4] force plus (1d6)[3] necrotic damage

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

Set's shadow attack finally crumbles the barlgura's incredible resilience. As it's shadow rips and tears, chunks of flesh fall away as the fiend unleashes a pitiful roar, massive hands slapping at ephemeral ones in an attempt to stop the assault, but unable to restrain the power of the Shadows. Finally the demon ape slumps, falling heavily to the ground. It's body, including the chunks ripped off by Set's magic, suddenly transform into hundreds of miniature barlguras, ranging in size from the size of a coin to that of a a small dog. Any fear any of you may have at this new hoard is quickly wiped away as they rapidly begin murdering and consuming one another until only one remains- a bloated creature the size of a sporting ball. This singular demonoid burps once, then pops out of existence with the loud sound of flatulence. All that is left behind is two large golden armbands, glittering in the sun, miraculously unstained.

For those of you with poor ears, there is no obvious threat at the moment.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-05-01 at 11:11 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Titan in the Playground

Vargath Hubrecht
    AC: 19 HP: 26/40

The Battle is Joined

Revolting. Putrid. But at least it was gone now, thanks to the spells. He'd kept it its attention on him. The other one though...Vargath shuts his eyes, blocking out the sense to focus on what else he could perceive. Scent. Sound. Feel. The tickle of awareness on the back of his neck. His mind expands as his sight disappears. The wind blowing across his face, the shuffle of the grass, the creak of the trees. It's more than him, and by opening himself to it, he can feel what they feel. The heavy press of the ape's feet on the hard ground, the gentle breeze wrapping around its body giving it form even as it passed beyond sight.

There.

His eyes snap open. "It's still here!" he bellows to the others, pointing with his axe at where he best believes it to be stood. "Do not relax!"

Show

Action: Perception check rolled in discord (18) to PERCEIVE THE DEMON.
    Move: Attempt to close distance with the enemy if it's moved, put myself between it+the civvies if possible.
    Bonus Action: None. Just in case.
    Pre-Emptive Reaction: If demonboy attacks and hits one of the two civvies, Invoke Skye rune to redirect the attack to Vargath.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #776
    Titan in the Playground

Concentration: Faerie Fire (first Barlgura)

Damned demons, always going invisible. Madaras curses and aims at the approximate area where it once stood and lets a rain of small heatless flames rain down.

Alvis, fire at will. he commands, and the bird fires into the bushes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Faerie Fire vs Dex 14 save. If it has no dex penalty, it saves. In that case I cease concentration immediately.
    Alvis misses badly.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ogre in the Playground

Selissa Betula
    Wood Elf Scout Rogue

The orgy of consumption of the tiny demons was distracting and umpleasant as they devoured each other, but there was still the second one, and she was too cautious to ever believe it would just convienently disappear as soon as its summoner was destroyed - after all, the first demonic ape hadn't when they'd slain the cult leader.

She turned her gaze towards the point indicated as Vargath yelled. She focused where the halfblood had pointed - there, where the undergrowth was crushed down beneath the weight of the unholy creature. She drew back an arrow and let it fly, rewarded with the meaty sound of it striking inhumanoid flesh - but there was no true precision against something she couldn't see.

Spoiler
    Show

Action: 18 to hit, 5 silver/magic damage

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ogre in the Playground

Dr. Madaras' spell splashes into existence, but either misses the demon or it is nimble enough to dodge the luminescence. Selissa's arrow is just accurate enough to strike, but it is interrupted mid flight- the invisible demon is soaring through the air directly at he when the arrow strikes it. The creature lands heavily directly in front of her, and it becomes visible as it rains down a tirade of attacks at the forest elf. First it bites down on her arm, large tusks piercing her flesh and scraping bone on her true arm. Then it slams her twice with it's fists, once causing the wood of her false arm to creak and once into her stomach with enough force to bruise her for days. The creature, rapidly becoming visible, looms tall over Selissa with murder in it's eyes.

Show
    The demon hits Selissa three times for a total of 26 damage. Time for everyone to kick it's ass.
    The Bear is Back.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Titan in the Playground

Concentration: -

Slightly panicking, Madaras flaming bottle is dropped into the foliage. Alvis takes this as a request to fire into the area as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    A 10 and 15 to hit. Assuming 15 hits, it deals 6 force damage.

Last edited by Spore; 2021-05-03 at 11:28 AM.

30. - Top - End - #780

Mal
    Levistus Tiefling Bard 4
    Spell Slots: 1st - 4/4 2nd - 2/3
    Bardic Inspiration: 1/4
    Concentrating: Bless (2nd round)

Maledictus spun on his boot tips with military precision when he heard the sickening crack and apish screams. He marveled at the Barlgura's swiftness--as well as the tragic irony of advising the archer to do what was effectively defend herself. He raised his offhand glove and gestured sharply. A blast of liquid ice lanced at the Barlgura, but the foliage of the wood's edge thwarted the attack.

Mal repositioned back toward Vargath and commented to Set on his way, "You have impeccable aim. Drop the brute."

Show

Action: Cast Ray of Frost (12 to hit for 2 cold damage and reduce its movement 10 feet on a hit).
    Bonus Action: Bardic Inspiration to Set (1d6)
    Move: Back to 30ft toward front line 30

Show
    Mal would insult a Barlgura as a reaction when it hits Vargath with an attack roll (not a crit).

Mal would insult a Barlgura as a reaction who rolls an ability check to break out of a spell or effect (e.g. Wrathful Smite) if it succeeds (not critical success)

Show