New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

Vargath, Jemriah, and Selissa

Vargath knows enough from some of the professors he spoke with at the university to recognize a depiction of a devil when he sees one. This one in particular is some variety of imp, though it varies enough from the standard that it may be some fiendish relative to the more common imps he's seen pictures of.

Weldry Wessen crosses his arms and lifts his nose, looking simultaneously disinterested and insulted in equal degree. "I have no idea what you're talking about, SIR. I own a shop- I have many goods, but NONE of them are nefarious in nature." He glances at Vargath, and perhaps realizing that he is sassing a man who could break him in two with relative ease he sighs and rolls his eyes begrudgingly. "If you are referring to my abacus, I realize that some simple minded people would be terrified of it based on it's looks, but it's an essential tool for accounting and mathematics, and nothing more. Left to me by my father, who owned this store before me. An ugly relic, but one I still hold dear to my heart." The man's argument comes across as convincing to Vargath, but Jemriah spots a few beads of sweat on the man's brow come tumbling down, and Selissa can make out a small quiver in his voice. He's not lying, exactly, but there is more he is not saying.

Birel, Set, and Fanlomen

The Chief's helpers mutter and curse when Birel reveals the origin of the symbol on the blacksmith's floor. "Murderers is what the Harumites are." says the woman who guided you here. "One of them killed my uncle when I was a little lass. Killed him for worshiping Father Oak and Mother Willow. If Brent is one of them... well, we'll tell the Chief. Maybe we run him out of town." One of the men gives a shout of protest. "Oy! Brent's a good egg! How many times has he shoed your horse for barter when you didn't have coin to pay him? Besides, if we run him out of town, who will mend what needs mending and forge new tools?" The third man gives the second a rough shove. "The Chief decides what we do with him, not us. He listens to the spirits, and we follow his wisdom. Even if he wants Brent dead."
    The Bear is Back.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Set Al-Sayyid
    Changeling Fighter/Hexblade
    AC: 16 HP: 27
    PP: 11 PIv: 12 PIs: 9
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Set looks down at his feet, the gears turning in his head as he takes in a wealth of new information on the area, it's people, and one of their gods. "But," he says, nearly interrupting the last man to speak as Set starts talking immediately, his thoughts only half-formed, "he has nothing at all to do with Pale Night, then?" Set looks from Birel to the villagers one by one, searching their faces for some sign that there was even the slightest chance this man Brent and his god Harum could be tied to Pale Night. Giving them a look of distress mixed with exasperation, Set throws his palms up, "well?"

Clearly Set's concern for the woman's uncle is questionable at best and while he does make an attempt to hide it, he is not overly successful, his face betraying impatience rather than empathy. His thoughts turn to his own family and the peril they may or may not be in right now as the villagers squabble over the blacksmith's fate. He looks to Birel and even Fanlomen, trying hard to keep his mounting frustration in check. "Should we not focus on the reason we're here? Has Brent given any of you reason to detain him tonight while the followers of Pale Night still roam free? Let us keep moving," Set says urgently making his case, "and leave this problem for another day." Set's plea is earnest as he looks around at the group before him, his words lacking any hint of deception.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

The Green Faith was a curious subject. Fanlomen knew that it was rare that more than a handful of its adherents could agree on what the religion stood for if asked. The Chief definitely seemed to have taken an interest in all the charms, weirds, and symbology of the Green Faith. It was almost dizzying to see so many of them hanging above his head. It was moments like this that the elf wondered how many mystical energies he wasn't attuned to that were flowing around him. His body was the source of his psionic powers, but arcane and divine energies (from his incredibly limited understanding of the two subjects) were always around. Even if only half the charms here actually worked, the three of them might be bathing in incredibly strong holy magics. The thought was almost enough to distract from a subtle whisper that seemed to be making their way through his head. No one else seemed to be reacting, so it wasn't from the link. Were they being watched? Or was it just the unease of being around all the charms? Something to ask the others about, perhaps the chieftain if Vargath approved.

The symbol of Harum didn't get much of a reaction from Fanlomen. It wasn't the first time he encountered their followers, even if there was little he knew about them and their beliefs. Sometimes the Shepherds would be sent against the more dangerous and zealous of the Harumites when they threatened the followers of the Green Faith. The crusaders were often too reckless to be reasoned with, which made them even more dangerous in battle. He mostly agreed with Birel's assessment; they were only truly dangerous when faith became tempered into a weapon, or when they thought they were out of options. "Their crusaders are like a wildfire, only sated when everything around them has been destroyed. It's difficult to say how he will react if the issue is pushed. Even if the Chief has the last say on his fate, it would be wise not to scare or suprise him. A cornered animal fights far more viciously."
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

As the shopkeep tries to stare down the burly half orc, Selissa briefly raised an eyebrow at the plain dishonesty of the man.

She glanced between him and Vargath, but the heavily-built warrior didn't seem to have picked up on it.

"#Dishonest,#" she sent to Vargath. "#Holding something back. Too nervous otherwise.#"
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

<Oh? My thanks.> His eyes flicker left to the elf. Selissa had been right to tell him - he hadn't noticed. Perhaps a downside of his honest nature. Between them, they'd corner this man. "You think us ignorant?" He growls at the shopkeep. "Perhaps their youth," he gestures in Jemriah's direction, "or our non-human blood gives you this unfounded confidence?" He spits on the ground, a large globule of phlegm landing a half-inch from the shopkeeper's foot.

"The icon is that of a demon of the hells. A fiend that bargains in infernal powers to reckless, stupid mortals. It emits heat to the touch - it is magical, not a simple trinket. It was concealed in your private home, not the shop where anyone might stumble across it. You hid it from searches, not from people who might come across it naturally." He squares up further to the man. "This is more than enough to have your head removed on its own. You have one chance to escape the axe. And that is to confess all that you know. You, and any fellows you might have. I care not if you live or die, but perhaps you are not so eager to burn below."

Spoiler: Roll
    Show

Maybe another intimidate check? Disregard if not needed. Hope this one goes better.
    (1d20+1)[19]
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-07-02 at 08:04 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Birel Amastacia
    High Elf Wizard
    AC: 13/16 HP: 20/20
    PP: 13 PIv: 13 PIs: 11

"If that's all that was found, then no Brent won't be associated with the Pale Night. The only thing the Green Faith and Harumites agree on is" at this point her train of thought is interrupted by Selissa's telepathic message. She clears her throat and resumes, "They agree that the Pale Night is a threat to everyone. And I agree, letting the Chief decide what to do about Brent is for the best. Shall we continue?" she makes a gesture to the rest of the town they haven't searched yet.

"#Thieves? Not terribly surprising I suppose, still something good to inform the Chief about later.#" Birel replies to the unexpected telepathic message.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Weldry juts out his chin, looking defiant at first, but that chin begins to wobble as Vargath's words become more severe, and by the end of the half-orc's threat the man's entire body is shaking. "All right, all right!" A look of defeat crosses his features, and his eyes fall down to stare at Vargath's boots. "It WAS a gift from my father, but it is magical. But it's not a demon and has nothing to do with Pale Night! It's a counting devil... from the Hells, not the Abyss. Please, don't take it away! Some months it is the only thing that gets the store by! It is evil, that I won't deny, but it is bound to serve the owner of the idol! It just counts coins! It can add, subtract, and do all other sorts of math perfectly. It can even... multiply... that's why I've kept it. Every once in a while it can take one coin and make a few more appear. But that is it! It isn't even dangerous! It gave up trying to tempt me YEARS AGO!" He looks to be on the verge of both tears and mania. "I need it! My shop needs it! Damnit man, this VILLAGE needs it! How do you think I've kept coin flowing in this remote little cow patty of a village! Without it, I can't pay the villagers for their wares, they have no coin to feed their families, and the whole system collapses! PLEASE don't take it away!"

Birel, Set, and Fanlomen

The villagers helping you with the search are more than agreeable when it comes to leaving Brent's home, eager to move on to other business and other discoveries. Your group makes their way further north, the nearest of the outlying farms. As you pass by the village square you can see the assembled folk are starting to protest, and even from this distance you can hear Chief Moeller talking to them all in a stern paternal tone, doing his best to keep them all calm while you all investigate.
    The Bear is Back.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Vargath glowers at the man. Weasel words for someone who has convinced themselves of an uncomfortable lie. Just how much of the 'necessary coin' had he pocketed over the years? The orc turns, not giving a response to the shopkeep immediately. To both Selissa and Jemriah he pings simply <What do we do with him? Thoughts?> He holds off on offering any judgement, just in case he'd missed another indication of a lie that his fellows might have spotted.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Jemriah Cleater
    Aberrant Mind Sorcerer 3 | AC 15 | HP 20/20 | PP 11 / PIns 11 / PInv 10

Being from a small town himself, Jemriah could appreciate the efforts to keep a meager business alive. His father had to ship beer two towns over to make it profitable, and he pitied Weldry for the predicament his good intentions had found him. <Keep the statue for now; the Chief should decide what happens with it. But this isn't what we're looking for.> he offers. Jemriah pushes off from the wall using his shoulder blades and uncrosses his arms as he starts past Vargath and his prey toward the outlying villages, giving an understanding nod to Weldry as he goes.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Selissa turned and headed back into the shop, filching a sack and dropping the devil statue into it. Ugly evil thing. She didn't want to hold it anymore.

She pushed the bag into the hands of one of the chief's trusted men and stalked in front of Weldry. Her intense gaze bore into him before she finally spoke, her words short and terse.
    "Peddling with devils. Idiot," she snapped. "Always a price in the end."

She turned away, ignoring any reply, as Jemriah's question came over their mind link. Still aloud, she spoke, if nothing else so their helpers would know what to do.
    "Not Pale Night. Chief's decision."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Vargath turns back to the quivering shopkeep, a wicked grin on his face for effect as Selissa moves away. "Your mewling excuses betray the village's failures - if it cannot survive without consorting with infernal powers then it should not survive. Likely your doing so has held this place back from growing on its own and overcoming its deficiencies." He snorts. "But my fellows wouldn't have you face the axe without the Chief's say-so. Spend your next hours praying to whatever gods you care to, assuming they've not already abandoned you to the hells."

He moves to follow Jemriah, their work in this section completed. Silently, he hopes that they missed nothing. He doesn't voice his concerns.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #102

SwashbucklerGuy

Set Al-Sayyid

Set looks up at Fanlomen appraisingly as he speaks, ready to find fault with his words. To his surprise, there is nothing to find fault with. Fanlomen's logic is sound, whether it's born from experience, intellect, or both. Perhaps he'd been the cornered animal once upon a time. Set could certainly empathize with that. Or had he been the one doing the cornering, and been bitten? Set makes sure to keep his eyes roaming, lest they fall too long on the wood elf while studying him. In any case, Chief Moeller could deal with Brent in his own time. "No need to corner the man now and make a beast from a blacksmith," Set agrees, nodding at Fanlomen's words.

Despite any understanding they might have shared, however, Set hardened his resolve and reminded himself of his dual purpose. A mistake could lead to worse things than death. While Birel and Fanlomen searched high and low, looking outward for any sign that a villager might be beholden to Pale Night, Set would have to split his focus. If Fanlomen truly was a nightmare as Chief Moeller had suggested he could be, Set would find out.

In contrast, Set already found himself relying on the fact that Birel was no liar, nor a servant to any power but her own. He'd already allowed himself to turn his back on her a number of times, and was growing increasingly comfortable with the idea. Could he trust her with his suspicions too, perhaps? No, no that would be ridiculous. Trust? No, better to just be grateful that she did not suffer nonsense or fools, and had no use for intrigue. As they wandered north past the crowd of villagers, Chief Moeller's voice rising over their indignant whispers, Set allowed himself to keep pace with Birel so long as he could keep Fanlomen in his sight. The enemy of my enemy is not my enemy, but which was Fanlomen? An enemy or a not-enemy?

Glancing sideways at Birel, Set asks her, "you've lived in Dam'ess for some time, haven't you? Why do you stay, if you don't mind my asking. Some of them," Set says, gesturing ahead to the Chief's trusted villagers, "seem to respect you, but more seem inclined to hate and fear you for one reason or another. What keeps you? Is your family near?"

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Birel Amastacia
    High Elf Wizard

"My life's focus had been studying a particular set of ruins relatively nearby. I lived in a nearby town until it stopped being one and simply moved to the next nearest town. While I have little reason to frequently visit the ruins, I wish to stay nearby in the case that I do. So I suppose you could say my reason for being here is convenience or laziness or apathy for those matters not pertaining to my life's work. Still I would have eventually moved on I imagine, this town does not have the pull for me my home town did as there is nothing and nobody left to connect me strongly here. Though! Just the other night I had a revelation and signs indicate there is another site connected to those ruins somewhere nearby. It is fortuitous for me that the Chief called you all here at such a time and we have reason to explore the area in the coming days." Birel replies, just deciding to the divulge what would matter to Set rather than say too much or too little and have him return to his more shifty behavior.

14. - Top - End - #104

SwashbucklerGuy

Set Al-Sayyid

For a moment, Set finds himself strangely worried at the thought of Birel abandoning the town before realizes that she's actually speaking of staying. As she elaborates, however, his worries don't recede.

"This revelation came just the other night? After a lifetime devoted to studying these ruins?" Set asks, finally taking his gaze completely away from Fanlomen long enough to stare Birel in the eyes. "That is quite fortuitous, especially with all of us answering the Chief's call around the same time to help."

Fortuitous. Yes. But why would she say so? Just who was she trying to convince? No, no, stop. This is Birel. There wasn't even a hint of deception in anything she'd said. Of course it appeared fortuitous to someone on the outside, looking in. The Shadowkeeper's game was as foreign to her as Set likely was. He paused for a moment, the gears slowly turning in his head as he felt his mind grapple with everything that was happening.

Slowly Set reached into his pouch, fingers encircling the cold metal of the coin. He pulled it out, letting it dance over his fingers as he lost himself in thought. It was possible. Not likely. But it was possible all the others had been brought here by chance, rather than being handpicked by the Shadowkeeper. Certainly this one seemed as unlikely as any to be a pawn or a victim. Set flipped the coin with a metallic *ping*, watching it sail end over end until it smacked into his open palm. The Ankh.

A scrap of trust was born, fragile though it might be. It was possible. Not as likely as the flip of a coin, but possible.

"This revelation," Set begins slowly, "did it provide any clue about where to find these other ruins?"

Set felt himself relax just a little bit, trying to ease himself into what passed for normal conversation between a high elf wizard and an Abydosian human with the Mark of a changeling on a hunt for cultists of Pale Night.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Kind of expected a roll would lead to killing any sort of trust off in the cradle, but decided it would be fun. 1d2 dice roll in discord came up on the Ankh instead of the Scarab

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Birel Amastacia
    High Elf Wizard

Birel watches Sen flip the coin, wondering what prompted him to do so at this point. In the middle of a conversation and hunt for cultists is an odd time for someone to fall back to the habits of idleness. "Perhaps there's something more to it?" she pondered.

Birel shakes her head and replies, "No. In fact, it's only optimistic interpretation that it's nearby at all. It's possible its on the other side of the world or in another plane entirely. Though, that would probably bit fairly unlikely."

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

The man who receives the bag from Selissa opens it up and looks down into it, then looks up aghast. His face goes pale, his eyes go wide, and he hurriedly clamps the bag shut. He tries to shove the bag off to one of the other helpers, but they push him away. He looks horrified for a moment, then starts to run off towards the Chief before the third helper, a woman, grips his shoulder and turns him around. "We'll report back to the Chief when we are all done. He has a tough enough job keeping everyone in line without us throwing an evil relic into the mix. Until then, you hold onto that damn bag, Orvin Poder, and don't you open it or drop it." Orvin's knees tremble, but he does as he is told, holding the bag as far away from himself as possible, but all three are ready to continue the search. Your group moves further to the south, over the Brother Bridge, a humble but sturdy creation of well carved wood. Beyond it lie a few more waterfront homes, but the houses start to spread out after that as the gardens become full farms. This leaves you all with more ground to cover between searches as the evening begins.

The homes of the fishers are all clean. You all find a hidden shrine, but one of the Chief's followers confirms that it is dedicated to Brother Eel, a harmless Green Faith trickster river spirit that is uncommonly worshiped by fisherfolk with bad luck. Another home has a lock box the size of a loaf of bread that makes the jingle jangle of coins when it is shook. "Best leave that. Just someone's life savings." Says Orvin, still holding the bag like a cat inside will try to claw him if it gets a chance. The lock looks cheap and easily breakable if you wish to look inside.

In the middle farms are likewise relatively clear. You find some people's hidden stashes, their keepsakes, and their personal shrines to an assortment of Green Faith spirits and fey. At one point Vargath finds a loose floorboard, but when it is pulled up you only find packed dirt. Sometimes a loose floorboard is just a loose floorboard.

By the time the sun has gone down and true darkness has begun to set in, you have only the furthest farms left to search. These homesteaders live miles apart from each other, so the smallest remainder of your search will carry you well into the deepest night. The final leg of your search will take place in the outskirts of the Banewood. The Chief's chosen all draw simple hand-made weapons for this work, two large knives and a dagger, eyes shifting back and forth nervously as torches are lit.

Birel, Set, and Fanlomen

The middle farms are a chore to search. If there is a wealthy part of town, these lands rest on it. The ground is even, the soil fertile, and the farmhouses large, some even having two stories. The construction is sturdier as well, which only means there are more places to hide things, slowing your search. You are hours into the work before you find anything of note. As Birel is searching in the Fulton's house and Set is investigating their fields, Fanlomen is looking in their barn, which is expansive for such a small village. Each of you have one of the Chief's chosen to accompany you. All three locations are boring and tidy, except for one oddity- a large sliding door in the barn that leads to a smaller, shed-like building attached to it. The door is sealed with an impressive looking lock, of modern design. "That's the kill shed, outsider. Where the farmer takes his animals to be slaughtered. You gotta keep it away from the other animals or it'll drive em mad. Do they have kill sheds where you're from? Most here don't and just kill their animals out back the house, but the Fulton's have always had more money than sense." The man guiding Fanlomen is remarkably talkative, explaining all of this while turning over hay bales and searching through feed bins. He's being very diligent, but seems to have no interest in searching the "kill shed". It has no windows or other doors to reach it, and as Fanlomen approaches it he can just barely make out the scent of blood.
    The Bear is Back.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Vargath leaves no stone unturned. When the 'life savings' box crops up, he considers the local's advice for half a moment and then moves to smash the lock. "I will replace the lock if it is naught but coin." He's stopped mid swing by Selissa, and after a moment allows her to unlock it with her tools. No sense in aggravating the locals unnecessarily. He'd have a hard enough time making friends as it was. He's impressed by how quickly the...young? elf works. He'd encountered few elves during his time at university but all of them had the same annoying ethereal quality about their age where he couldn't tell if they were 30 or 3000. Selissa was not different. He guessed they were young, but for all he knew they could have four centuries on the half-orc and not show it.

<So far we've found nothing.> Vargath pings to everyone on the link. <There are houses left to search, yet the lack of anything so far is concerning if this cult is as bad as indicated. Suggestions for next steps? Interrogation?>
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-07-04 at 12:44 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Fanlomen responds over the mental link as he considers his next steps as well. The stable owner's business has been marked friendly for thieves. It is not much to go on, but perhaps a cultist took advantage of such generosity to enter the town. Perhaps the stableman is using the stables to bring in more cultists under the cover of night. Perhaps he should have brought it up sooner, but it had seemed to be of little importance on a first glance. Small towns like this were usually littered with such insignificant markings. Con-men trying to find a friendly place to stay while they peddled their snake oils couldn't exactly be open about their practices. Fanlomen cursed inwardly that he hadn't assumed the worst from the start, but there was little to do now except see what else might show itself.

The man's prattling stirs him from his mental link, and Fanlomen wondered how such a man could continue to speak so long without pausing for breath. Nonetheless, there was no cause for reprimand as the man dutifully overturned house and hay during the search. The elf answers curtly, not used to making small talk, and while he was used to being treated as an outsider, being adressed directly as such was slowly grating on his politeness. "Our tribes are nomadic; we follow the game as it moves through the forests. We do not keep animals in such numbers as you do. Some will keep wolves or birds of prey to aid them on the hunt, and as companions. Occasionally a hunter will find an orphaned fawn and care for it until it is ready to provide meat and hides for the clan."

Fanlomen couldn't imagine living nearby a place whose sole purpose was to facilitate death, even deaths as lowly as livestock. Every creature had a spirit, had a name, or so the Green Faith commonly taught. The presence of so many deaths occurring in one place was unnatural by every definition. It wasn't inherently evil, Fanlomen wouldn't go so far as to suggest that the humans didn't have the right to nourish themselves. It just felt ... malevolent to have a whole building for the purpose. The elf shuddered, but made his way over to the building regardless. They had a job to do, and that meant searching everything. He approached with thieves' tools in hand, preparing to deal with the pesky lock.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thieves' Tools: (1d20+7)[26]
    Psi-Bolstered Knack (only applies if the roll is too low to be a success): (1d6)[3]
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

As Vargath raised his weapon to smash the lock, Selissa spoke.
    "Wait, half-blooded."
    She stepped up. She flicked her hand and seemingly from nowhere, she was holding a set of bone-and-metal lockpicks.
    "Can unlock it. Without breaking."
    She knelt and briefly fiddled with the lock. She made an irritated noise when her wooden hand slipped once, but sooner rather than later the lock clicked open and the wood elf gave a single satisfied nod. She dropped the lock next to the box.
    "See? Better."
    She rose and stepped back again, leaving looking through the box to Vargath.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Jemriah Cleater
    Aberrant Mind Sorcerer 3 | AC 15 | HP 20/20 | PP 11 / PIns 11 / PInv 10

Based on the efforts of the last few hours, this was an innocent village filled with mostly innocent people. He didn't care for all this trickery, preferring to take people at their word. Maybe it was naive of him. He'd lied to protect himself a number of times, but never maliciously. <We didn't find anything there, but it's something to go on I guess. I think we should finish the search before we start accusing him of anything. The next houses on our side are in the edge of the wood, and the townsfolk are getting nervous...>

His mind was preoccupied with his vision and the wolf creatures leaving little attention remaining for the task at hand. While Selissa and Vargath finish the farmhouse, Jemriah steps outside and approaches the woman who seemed to have a calm head on her shoulders. "You're doing a great job, thank you for helping. How long has the Chief lived here? What's his story?"

21. - Top - End - #111

SwashbucklerGuy

Set Al-Sayyid

Pursing his lips at the suggestion they split up into pairs, Set nevertheless decided to keep his mouth shut as Fanlomen and one of the Chief's men crept out of sight on their own. Set and the other man took to the fields, examining the village people's lands for anything suspicious. As they made their way along, the man was good enough to tell Set a few more details about the village. While most of it seemed to be gossip of little use, Set at least learned a bit more about the people and who's property they were investigating.

At Fulton's house, Set's mind began to wander as he'd found little and less regarding Pale Night so far. His thoughts returned to Fanlomen. House after house with nothing to show for it, but here Fanlomen was in his midst and Set was out prowling through fields hoping to find anything at all that appeared suspicious. Leaning heavily on his spear at the edge of the Fulton property, Set raises his voice to the man still searching fifty feet away. "Find anything?"

Making his way towards him and shaking his head without having to fake his frustration, Set tries to master his accent to ensure the man doesn't have any difficulty understanding him. He couldn't hope to appear as wholesome or as local as Jemriah without changing skins, but he endeavored to downplay how foreign he was without resorting to methods he'd rather not use.

"There's nothing out here, friend," Set says, hoping to connect with the man despite his own ulterior motives. "Come. Let's see if the others have had more luck in the barn before we finish at the house and move on."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Birel Amastacia
    High Elf Wizard

As Birel searches the house, she does as she has been doing the entire time and uses her magic to clean the dirt, dust, and cobwebs out of the way. In part to make people less upset about their homes being rummaged through later, but mainly just to make sure there's less of a chance she'll miss a secret compartment or markings. That, looking about, and moving not particularly heavy objects out of the way is all the work she does herself. Unless you could directing the person she's paired with to move the heavier things when something is between their eyes and the floor or wall. At least she's kind enough to regularly use her magic to clean them as well.

Engaging in some polite conversation as they go about things so that things aren't just constant awkward silence, she says, "So Baynard, how are the season's crops doing? As you know, I live on an old farmstead myself, though I don't make any real effort to grow anything like your family does. Ah, and I believe your boy turned twelve last month? That must be a help with the work."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

The lock box opens easily enough to reveal little else but copper coins, a few silver, and an old ring with a rough cut stone. One of your helpers readily identifies this as an old wedding ring, then points out that this house belongs to a widower.

The woman approached by Jemriah gives a nervous smile. "Chief was born here. Lived here his whole life. He was once the biggest and mightiest man in the village, till an evil fey hexed his back and made it crooked. Then when his body was broked, he focused on his mind. I've never met a man who read more books than Chief Moeller. And no one with as strong connection to the spirits. They say his wife was a fey in disguise, but she died before my time, so I can't speak to that. Not much more to say I'm afraid."

Birel, Set, and Fanlomen

The man helping Set search the fields does indeed find nothing, but as the sun is almost down he seems very relieved to be joining the others. Birel and her companion find nothing as well, but Wallo Baynard gives a weak smile when Birel inquires after her family. "Crops are good this year, Miss Birel. Spirits blessed, we should have enough to buy a cow this year. Little Aldo is a great help, he spends all day fetching this and that for me and his mum. I can't wait to teach him to milk. He's already so good with the chickens I know a new Bessie would be his best friend. How are things on your plot of land? A lot of people say that homestead is cursed since the Caines went missing. Hogswallop in my opinion. People go missing all the time."

The lock is tricky, but Fanlomen's skilled hands manage to make it click and separate after a minute of fiddling with it. Just as the lock is opened, there is a loud BANG and the door rocks on it's hinges, shifting outward a few inches and nearly smacking the wood elf in the nose. A fresh trickle of blood flows out from the bottom of the door, and the person searching with Fanlomen gives a low, horrified moan when he sees it. "Something... there's something in there!"
    The Bear is Back.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Birel Amastacia
    High Elf Wizard

"Well, other than the fact that the faerie folk insist on bringing that cow skull back every time I try to remove if from the yard I cannot say I've noticed any curses. Just my own lack of effort on the field. Though the potatoes still grow in without me doing anything just f-" she replies to Baynard and is cut off by a loud banging from outside. "Well we better see what that is!" Birel says as she rushes out of the house.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Fanlomen is startled by the door's sudden shift, and jolts back defensively. It takes a moment for the elf to realize he had materialized a dagger in each hand before dismissing them once there was no obvious threat. His eyes narrow at the worried protests of his partner, and he fishes for a torch from his pack, lighting it before handing it to the man. "Hold this, and stay calm. I'm sure someone else heard the noise and will be here to investigate soon." And just to make sure, the elf sent a message over the link to inform the others. <Fresh blood and a locked door which almost flew off its hinge when I undid the lock. No windows, only one entrance, and a fairly impressive lock. Birel, find Set and bring him to the Fulton's farm. My companion called this place a kill-shed, I will wait for you both before investigating further.> He takes a deep breath to steady himself and asks the man, "What kind of animals do the Fultons raise here?"

26. - Top - End - #116

SwashbucklerGuy

Set Al-Sayyid

Ditching the very same villager he'd tried to be friendly with minutes before, Set's feet pound towards the barn as soon as he hears a loud bang echo through the field. Not 20 seconds after unknowingly being summoned, Set appears as a silhouette in the large, open doorway, chest heaving as he seeks to catch his breath, a spear clutched in both hands. Had their positions been switched, Set might have called Fanlomen's appearance fortuitous. Or perhaps he would've chosen a different word.

In any case, Set stands in the doorway and blinks as he catches sight of the villager idly holding a torch next to Fanlomen. He appears frightened to be sure, but the object of his terror is...a door?

"What happened? Are you a--" Set starts, coughing audibly as his eyes dart from the villager to Fanlomen. "Are you two alright?"

Seeing that the situation appears stable, Set allows himself to relax a bit, dropping the butt of his spear to the ground and walking slowly towards the two of them, careful to check his surroundings as he moves forward.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

As you are all preparing to head towards the Hartswood, a long, low, mournful howl sounds from the north, with such volume that there is a mass exodus of birds who were once sleeping in the trees above you. It seems to make the very air tremble, paining your ears. The three helpers with you all take a step back. "Do... do you think that was a regular wolf?" Says one. "Did you ever hear a regular wolf howl that loud? It must be a were... we're not alone in this forest tonight..." The third releases a whimper, his torch shaking in his hand, making the light flicker.

Birel, Set, and Fanlomen

Birel and Wallo come around the corner into the barn just as the door rocks again. More blood flows under the door, forming a pool near Fanlomen's feet. "Beef. They raised beef, mostly." All of the Chief's helpers stand stock still, eyes locked on the door, then draw simple weapons with fumbling hands. Over the sound of your own heartbeats, Birel and Set and barely hear a pained, pitiful bovine moan coming from behind the door.
    The Bear is Back.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riggdgames View Post
    "What happened? Are you a--" Set starts, coughing audibly as his eyes dart from the villager to Fanlomen. "Are you two alright?"
    "We are uninjured, merely startled." Fanlomen points to the pooling blood. "Specifically by that, and its presence behind a locked door. Now that we are all here, let us find out what is going on." With the villagers holding their weapons, Fanlomen begins to carefully move the door so that it opens. "Let us hope all we find is an injured beef."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

"Beasts can smell fear. Steel yourselves." Vargath tries to be reassuring as best he knows how, though it might have the opposite effect. "We can't stop now, keep your torches bright. Light more if you have them. If we delay we could face a fate far worse than any howling dog in the night." He pushes on regardless, quietly pushing away thoughts that the howl and the cult were connected.

With a torch in on hand and shield strapped to the other he couldn't draw his axe now, but fire might be the better deterrent against the wilds anyway. <We may want to pick up the pace though.> Balancing caution with quickness wasn't something he'd expected to have to deal with, and he wondered if perhaps going for the silver first may have been the better idea all along.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Birel Amastacia
    High Elf Wizard

"After you." Birel says, indicating Fanlomen and Set should proceed before her with a motion of her hand.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-07-07 at 11:56 AM.