New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters (D&D 5e IC)

Selissa opened her eyes to the loud thud. Withdrawing a knife from her belt, she investigated to find the dead crow and its murder watching from the trees, ignoring the heat already building up towards sweltering.

She retrieved it and brought it inside before she cut off the message with the knife and stored it away.

"The witch. Moira Taggart Bo'Tel... " she mused, looking down thoughtfully at the message. "If she controls birds, troublesome. Less so if just crows, but still."

Conversation done, she cut off the bird's head and defleshed it with the hours of long practice, taking the body outside to be buried in the dirt away from her home.

The little skull she climbed a tree and hooked it there in the branches, towards the sunset, so the bird's soul would be able to escape the bounds of the earth.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Set Al-Sayyid
    Changeling Fighter/Hexblade
    AC: 16 HP: 23/27
    PP: 11 PIv: 12 PIs: 9
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Months before, Set recalled a night out on the cold northern road where he'd felt certain he would freeze. Nights could be deceptively cold even in the desert of his homeland, but this had felt sharper, the wind cutting daggers through his robes. He'd made it through with a new respect for the north and the folk who lived in its midst, but the cold had seemed to take root in his bones. For a time he thought he'd never feel truly warm again as long as he wandered the north, but time and the changing seasons eventually cured his chill, if not his homesickness.

Set's jalabiya clings to him in the heat as he wallows in a bath of his own making. If not for the sense of corruption that clings to him as well, Set could have accepted his state without complaint, but both the humidity and the taint of filth felt unnatural. Groaning as he stretches, Set rises slowly, rubbing his tired face heavily. The first hint of dark scruff was starting its assault, the bags under his eyes darker still from a long night.

"He is quite the singer," Set remarks drily to Birel, cracking a smile as the shephard is made pie, but grimacing in turn as that voice rends the air out of key. Birel's comments catch him a bit off-guard, but he's reassured as Birel gathers honey and milk rather than spear and fire while preparing to walk outside. Nevertheless, his curiosity is aroused. The fey was clearly not dangerous, but not permitted inside for some reason. Perhaps they refused to leave once admitted? Or did their singing just grow worse within the walls of a home?

"I'll accompany you," Set says, watching Birel gather her things. "We do not...interact with fey much, or really at all, where I'm from." As an afterthought he adds, "though I admit, once your friend Mr. Brownbottom goes on his way, I'd be even more in your debt if you could point me to a stream or a well and a tub, if you have one. I need a bath after...after last night," Set says, mouth twitching as he tries to repress a shudder. "And my robes need one even more," he finishes with a grimace.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Upon hearing the thud, Fanlomen crept towards the door, an almost palpable wave of annoyance radiating off him. He hadn't tranced as comfortably as he would have liked, next time he would ditch the shirt and be done with it. He stays at least arm's length from Selissa as she investigates, but the cawing of crows as they take flight again is enough to satisfy his anticipation. While he didn't recognize the name, he had a feeling Selissa was familiar enough to quickly decry the letter's author as a witch. Her comment on the crows made him worry slightly. Ravens were honored, venerable creatures in the Green Faith. They were intelligent, vigilant, and had a knack for imitation that some would consider speech. Crows, on the other hand ... noisy, boisterous scavengers.

"An ill omen, to be visited by so many crows. The human-tongue calls a group of crows a murder. It is an apt name, for nothing good follows the loud boasting of such filthy creatures."
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Jemriah Cleater
    Aberrant Mind Sorcerer 3 | AC 15 | HP 20/20 | PP 11 / PIns 11 / PInv 10

In that misty in-between of sleep and wakefulness, Jemriah saw himself walking across the earth but at the plodding pace of a titan. Each footstep echoed through his mind with a reverberating THUD. A whisper boils up to his consciousness. THUD. "Rrrreeeeeelllleeeeeaaaassssssseeeee...." THUNK. With the final step the earth before him burst upward into a dark miasma as his eyes strained against their own weight, begging for a release of their own. THUNK. He sits bolt upright, momentary panic setting in as the darkness of the world beneath the bit of fur draped over his head engulfs him before he pulls it aside and draws his first breath of morning light.

The others were already moving about; so much for a surprise breakfast. The fey weren't as common in Falcairn as up here in the hills, but he'd had his share of tales and didn't feel especially interested in their antics. Perhaps breakfast was in order after all if Birel and Set were bartering. "If you've got something unique from your own land I bet he'd pay extra for it. A spare turban or anything with a carving or symbol he can't find around here," Jemriah offers to the other human with a shrug as he comes into the main room.

It was too hot to cook, but maybe Birel had some herbs in the garden... he heads outside with the other two looking for mint or something of the like to mash with berries or other fruits into a simple jam then proceeds to slice some bread inside for everyone when they reconvene.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

At Birel's Farm

Birel's tub is soon full of crystal clear blessed water for those who wish a bath. Homes closer to town used the common well, but this farm was lucky enough to have a pump of it's own to bring the refreshing liquid from it's underground home. On a day as hot and humid as this, the cool water is just what is needed to wash the sweat and dirt of the night off of your bodies. For Set in particular this is just what was needed to relieve the strain of the previous day.

Esquel Brownbottom stops chopping as soon as he hears Birel's voice, almost as though he was anticipating it. "Ms. Birel! I ALWAYS have something to trade, you know! You must know! Today I have news! News and nuts! And I've chopped you some new fence posts! Surely Esquel deserves SOMETHING for chopping you so many beautiful fence posts! If you're ever going to get this farm in order, you'll need MANY fence posts!" He tosses the hatchet up into the air, where it spins several times before coming down to sink into the splitting stump with one final THUNK. "Surely you'll give me something for the posts, something else for the nuts, and a third something for the news!" Always filled with greed, the ouphe rushes forward and temples his fingers in anticipation. "What things do you have for me? Shinies? Metal? Hand crafted works of wonder? Show me!"
    The Bear is Back.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Birel Amastacia
    High Elf Wizard
    AC: 13/16 HP: 20/20
    PP: 13 PIv: 13 PIs: 11
    Conditions: Mage Armor

"You'll find there is a tub in the barn. As for your clothes, I can take care of those while you bathe." she replies to Set.

To Esquel Brownbottom she says, "Well that all sounds lovely, but what I've got for you is a thing that is several things. I don't think nuts and boards alone would be a fair trade. If you'd trade me all three for this...." she pulls out a broken compass that doesn't point north, but comes in a pocket-watch style with a hinged cover. "compass and watch that points in many ways. I think just maybe I could part with it, though I think you are getting the better deal today my friend."

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

At Birel's Farm

Esquel opens his mouth, agape in wonder, staring at the brass compass with naked awe. "Shiny AND metal AND a hand crafted wonder! I don't know how you get people to trade you such marvelous things, Ms. Birel!" He reaches out and tries to snatch it, but after having the ouphe conveniently forget arrangements in the past once he had his hands on the goods Birel is wise enough to pull it away at the last second. Esquel frowns, a deep ornery scowl of annoyance, but brightens up almost immediately after. He reaches into his vest and draws out a sack the size of a human head, tied with a bit of rawhide and looking very lumpy. "Posts and nuts and news for the wonder. You have a deal! Now gimmegimmegimme, Ms. Birel! You know I hate to wait! I want to TOUCH it! And BEND it! And TWIST it, hither and thither and round the bend!" He drops the sack in his excitement, but catches it on his foot. Kicking it back into the air, he catches it in his long fingered, many jointed hands and offers it while extending his free hand for his prize. "I promise you, the news is particularly juicy today! But I won't say a word till I've got my shiny! Wouldn't be fair of you to get posts and nuts AND news without me getting what's mine!"
    The Bear is Back.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Birel Amastacia
    High Elf Wizard

Birel raises an eyebrow at the size of the bag of nuts, she'd been expecting maybe a coin purse full. "Of course of course." she replies, handing over the broken compass and awaits the news.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

At Birel's Farm

The ouphe snatches the compass and shoves the bag at Birel in one move, clutching the broken brass tool to his chest and crooning to it for a few seconds, whispering in Sylvan. "Mine, mine, mine pretty! Mine forever and ever!" Esquel begins petting the compass, running his fingers over the craftsmanship lovingly. He seems to get lost in his own reflection in the metal for nearly a minute before shaking himself, giving an awkward cough, and turning back to face Birel. "The news of the day is as follows- I was told by a spriggan, who was told by a pixie, who was told by a red cap, who in turn was told by a night whisperer that the wolf men were fighting last night. Trying to kill each other, and happy to be doing it! None of them died, though. They just ripped each other to pieces, but you know wolf men. They get better quick. But in the end one of them was victorious! He called himself "alpha" and said he was in charge of all the other wolf men! Then he started jabbering about some kind of plan whatsit to do somefink horrible to somewhats. Boring stuff like that that the night whisperer didn't pay attention to. But the spriggan said that the pixie said that the red cap said that the night whisperer said that the wolf men are up to no good!" Esquel loses himself in the compass again, then croons to himself almost too quiet to hear. "Esquel knows where the wolf men live, but he would never tell Ms. Birel. She would get hurt, and not be able to acquire more wonders for Esquel. No, no, no, that wouldn't do."
    The Bear is Back.

10. - Top - End - #250

SwashbucklerGuy

Set Al-Sayyid
    AC: 16 HP: 27/27

Careful to curb his response, Set nevertheless frowns in thought at Jemriah's offered wisdom. His comment seemed innocuous enough, but Set reminded himself that the young man had learned of his coin. It was the only thing he had with symbols from home, and also the only thing besides his Favorite that he could never part with. "I have little and less I would care to trade, but I should like to watch," Set says, his voice even and measured as he tries to crack a small smile. No doubt his true feelings weren't a mystery to the Fake One, but it would be foolish to show the others his disdain for Jemriah openly, at least for now. Someday soon he would prove himself to be False, or Set would do it for him. In the light of morning, Set had to remain calm and collected.

As Birel explains the bathing situation, Set looks over to her in open admiration. He's on the verge of refusing her offer to clean his clothes for him, the thought being almost too much for even Set to accept without reservation, but he swallows the refusal and only admits, "you are a wonder, Birel. Thank you. That would be altogether too kind, but," Set says, pausing a moment to look down at his attire, "I am no position to refuse your generosity." The thirsty man does not turn down offered water...

Watching the negotiations impassively from a couple steps behind and to the side of Birel, Set's eyes narrow at Esquel's news. The cult of Pale Night may have been dealt a blow last night, but their power still clung to the land. Whether the activity of wolf-men was related or not, Set didn't know, but the cult's trail had seemingly gone cold with their faithful's slaughter. A new trail, even if only tangentially related, might lead to another.

Stepping forward, Set squats down to put himself closer to the ouphe's level, seemingly admiring the compass as well. "A fine piece. I have said more than a few times now that Birel is too kind, don't you think? Parting with a treasure like that for a handful of nuts and a bit of news," Set says wonderingly, making it clear he believes the ouphe got the much better bargain. Shuffling half a step closer, Set drops his voice a bit, though it is still loud enough for Birel to hear clearly. "Yet, you need not back out of your bargain, Mr. Brownbottom. You promised to trade the news, all of it, in exchange for the compass. You needn't worry about Birel getting hurt, either. Give me the news you promised instead and your bargain will be fulfilled. I will not tell Birel where she can find the wolf-men, and if I get hurt going in search of them by myself," Set trails off, shrugging, "your friend and mine will still be here, right?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Deception (compass value, promises not to tell Birel): 12 from discord

Last edited by Riggdgames; 2020-08-06 at 08:52 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Vargath finishes his workout and cleansing just in time to return (clothed and armoured) to hear talk of "an alpha", which was concerning. Alphas weren't a thing for wild wolfpacks, not in the way described by the frustratingly loud trader, and those that his clan lived with eschewed such behaviours too. All this told him was that they were more man than wolf, their natural animal instincts overridden by the human drive to dominate at any cost. A human intellect meant more planning, rather than animal cunning. They couldn't approach this as fighting pure beasts, but men. Still, that could work to the village's advantage. With some prods in the right direction they could have the pack fight itself, then swoop in and clean up what was left. That was, assuming, the creature was both truthful and correct which...well he wouldn't openly disparage one of Birel's guests, but it wasn't exactly easy to put trust in it. They'd need to verify separately somehow.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhismurWanders View Post
    Upon hearing the thud, Fanlomen crept towards the door, an almost palpable wave of annoyance radiating off him. He hadn't tranced as comfortably as he would have liked, next time he would ditch the shirt and be done with it. He stays at least arm's length from Selissa as she investigates, but the cawing of crows as they take flight again is enough to satisfy his anticipation. While he didn't recognize the name, he had a feeling Selissa was familiar enough to quickly decry the letter's author as a witch. Her comment on the crows made him worry slightly. Ravens were honored, venerable creatures in the Green Faith. They were intelligent, vigilant, and had a knack for imitation that some would consider speech. Crows, on the other hand ... noisy, boisterous scavengers.

"An ill omen, to be visited by so many crows. The human-tongue calls a group of crows a murder. It is an apt name, for nothing good follows the loud boasting of such filthy creatures."
    Selissa cocked her head at the linguistic fact as she thought. "Murder? What a strange name for a flock." She took another glance down at the message. "We should show the others. If they are not at the inn, far-sister's house, and the chief will be at his own. If it is the curse-weilder, they are very bold to come into their enemy's den."
    She paused, and then added.
    "Even carrion have their place in life and death. It is poor to see them the slaves of some dark power."

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

At Birel's Farm

Esquel gives Set a sour look. "I do not need a human man to school me in the meaning of honor, sir. I promised news and I gave news. If you want the location of the wolf-men I'd have to show you, and that would put my Brownbottom in the same danger as you. I'll do it, but I won't do it for free. Show me something of value, I'll appraise it, and IF I think it is worth the risk, Esquel will show you where the wolf-men rest their heads. If you've nothing to trade then be gone. You speak in friendly terms, sir, and we are not friends. Ms. Birel is my friend. If Esquel were a less honest fey, I'd send you on a goose chase through the forest and lead you to a spriggan den. You could try your charms on them, sir!" He clutches the compass as though he fears you will take it away, a small growl emanating from the back of his throat.
    The Bear is Back.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

He desperately didn't want to get involved, but he also wouldn't see Set or Birel taken advantage of. "The information may not be necessary," the orcblood finally speaks up. Initially addressing the creature but switching to the group with his next sentence. "Last night when searching for the cultists, we heard the howls of beasts and Selissa went to investigate. She didn't say anything on her return, which means she found something and from the noise they were making I doubt they were all too concerned about concealing a trail. We might not even need a tracker to follow it."

He waves a hand back and forth in front of his face, as much to get some cool air on his face as to figuratively waft away Brownbottom's growls. "Trade if you want, there might still be some worth in it, just know we have other options available to us."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Birel Amastacia
    High Elf Wizard

Birel chuckles at all this and says, "We are not properly equipped to handle werewolves at the moment anyway. I don't suppose if I drew a picture of the village in the dirt you could just draw where their den is?"

((If Esquel agrees she takes a stick and draws a crude picture of the village in the dirt.))
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-08-10 at 07:21 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Selissa would check the pub first, then head towards Birel's house with the message.

17. - Top - End - #257

SwashbucklerGuy

CENSORED Set Al-Sayyid

Keeping his face impassive, Set appears to nod sagely at Esquel's words before standing back up to his full height and looking back at Vargath. Relieved to find an alternative, Set glances back down at Esquel and says, "I'm afraid I have naught to trade," but darkness and dismay. "Perhaps if we meet again I will bring something to barter with. Good day, Mr. Brownbottom," Set says, leaning on his accent a bit and bowing slightly before turning away, a small smirk threatening to betray his good manners as he starts moving towards the barn.

"Best of luck Birel," Set calls back, nodding to Vargath as he passes the hulking half-orc. Pausing a moment, he turns back and says, "I find that timing is often everything in an engagement, on the battlefield and off. Your timing is excellent, Vargath," Set chuckles as he reaches up to clap the taller figure on the shoulder. Smile growing broader, Set turns away and even starts to hum a tune from home, his spirits lifted from a bit of fun and the actions of his two companions.

Humming all the way to the barn, Set is supremely grateful he'd grabbed his things and doesn't have to confront Jemriah in the house. He fills the tub, hoping to cleanse his body if not his soul. In the process of getting in, Set checks his surroundings to be sure he's alone. His lack of clothing is not a concern and his Favorite is near enough not to matter, but still he checks. Rubbing at the scruff on his face and running a hand over his scalp, Set concentrates for a moment, smoothing both until not a scrap of hair remains. Even when those around him had known of the Mark he carried, Set had always been cautious not to change his skin in front of another. The need was hardly less urgent now. These people may or may not share his culture's stigma around the Mark of a Changeling, but it was not a secret he wished to share. His stomach churned with anxiety at the thought of Jemriah and all he knew, but Set forced his mind away from the Fake One as he dropped into the tub and tried to relax. A few moments of peace to cleanse would prepare him for the trials ahead, he hoped.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Fanlomen would stay within arm's reach of Selissa, though his eyes would spend more time examining the space above them, keeping an eye out for any more unusual crows.
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

At Birel's Farm

Esquel grumbles about safety and commerce for a few moments before taking the stick from Birel and drawing a few lines. "It's a fair bit off your map. North and east, between your Hartswood and the lake your folk call Bo'Tel. Stupid name for a lake..." He draws a few more lines, adding details off of Birel's drawing to expand the focus. "Here. In a cave with a stream flowing through it. They sleep during the day, so you'd best come at them while it's bright out, if you can. And mask your stink. Wolf-men have sharp noses. Please, Ms. Birel, don't risk yourself on some fool's errand! Let these big, stupid men go and get eaten by the monsters! You can trade me their baubles and wonders when they're gone!"

It is at this time that Selissa and Fanlomen arrive from her cottage, with news it tow.
    The Bear is Back.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Birel Amastacia
    High Elf Wizard

"If I don't go with them, how will I bring back their wonders? Don't worry, my friend. I'll make sure to stand behind them and run away very fast if they all die horribly." Birel replies with a smile.

She doesn't spot the others arrival as she heads back inside, figuring Set might be done with his bath soon and she should really get around to cleaning his clothes. Admittedly a task that takes only a few moments.

((If Set took his dirty clothes with him into the barn, she just walks in like she owns the place. Which she in fact does.))

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

The insults of the daft trader meant nothing to Vargath, who instead turns his attention to the approaching elves, waving them over. "Ah, good. Saves us the trouble of coming to you. We were just..." He shifts and glances at the creature, still here, "discussing information about the beasts. We seem to have at least one lead on their lair." His eyes trawl across to Selissa, the gaze critical but not piercing. Her impressions could wait until they were gathered with the chief. "But acquiring weapons to fight them should be our first priority. Fire is all well and good but I'd prefer the slice of silver that the chief offered."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #262

SwashbucklerGuy

CENSORED Set Al-Sayyid

Set is finishing up his bath as footsteps approach, and he's relieved to see it's Birel who enters. Intuiting that she's there to help him wash his clothes, Set looks around and confirms that there is only one tub. Of course, one tub alone was a luxury. Two would be ridiculous. Thinking Birel must be anxious to be done with her offer to clean his clothes or she wouldn't have sought him out, Set puzzles over his options for just a moment. Unsure what would be more rude in Birel's culture, making her wait to use the tub after she'd offered to help or displaying his nakedness openly, Set quickly comes to a decision. Splashing water into his face one last time, Set rises to his full height and hops out of the tub.

Naked as the day he was born but housed in a different skin, Set drips all over the ground for the three-step journey to his pack, pulling out his only remaining clean jalabiya and throwing it over his head before apologizing. "My apologies Birel, I am moving slowly this morning. I probably could have had these washed already," he says, dumping out the sack filled with his robes onto the ground, "but your tub is most-wonderful. I am finally clean," he says grinning, mouth twitching as he looks back down at the sack. Even under the circumstances, he's still more distracted by the corruption at his feet than by any awkwardness that might exist. His was not a culture of shame in regards to the human body, but from his time in the north he knew that some were quite sensitive.

Turning away, he tips the tub over, eager to help since Birel has already done so much. "Let me just drain this water and I will have it filled again quickly," he promises, jalabiya clinging to still-soaked skin.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Birel Amastacia
    High Elf Wizard

Birel raises an eyebrow at Set as he gets out of the tub, exposing himself to her. She would not at all have expected him to be the type. Though, she also doesn't really know his cultural norms now that she considers it. She looks him up and down, not avoiding looking at any particular spots though her eyes don't linger either, and gives him a small amused smile. "Well, no need to fill it back up again." she replies and then waves a hand over the clothes, even the garment he just put on, and they begin to glow with hot white light and then the crime and dirt and dust fly off from them like shooting stars before vanishing entirely. Set will even notice that he's completely dry. Not that she had to make it look like that, she just felt like showing off first thing in the morning.

At this point she hears speaking outside and says, "Well, come join us when you're dressed." and walks back out of the barn casual as can be.

24. - Top - End - #264

SwashbucklerGuy

Set Al-Sayyid

Completely starstruck, Set's jaw hangs open as Birel bathes him in heat and light, cleansing the world around him in an instant. A moment passes and then a far-away voice interrupts his thoughts.

"Well, come join us when you're dressed."

His eyes look up from studying the pure-white cloth covering his dry skin and settle on the angel casually walking away. Though his people did not celebrate angels in the same way that some others did, he could not doubt this one's mastery over the heavens. A few more moments pass while Set endeavors to collect himself. He can't find his words before Birel exits, but he exclaims his gratitude even after she's gone. "Thank you," he says quietly to the empty barn, staring after her.

Dressing slowly, Set frowns at his robes with a mixture of reverence and regret. Their purity was a blessing, as was his friend Birel who'd made them this way, but they could only cover-up the corruption that still clung within him. No matter how clean his skin and his robes, Set's soul continued to rot. He swallowed a lump in his throat, mouth twitching as he covered his face back up with the shemagh as his thoughts shifted back to the portrait of the elven woman that hung in Chief Moeller's home. It just wasn't in the cards. He'd already played his game, flipped his coin, and lost. Buckling his pouch back over his belt, Set takes a deep breath, pulls the coin out, and looks down at it before tucking it back into his pouch without flipping it. Without further delay, Set follows Birel's footsteps back outside, alone.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Selissa's eyes took in the scene as she approached. She looked at the fey with only a hint of disapproval in the set of her mouth. It was a noisy, raccous thing - everything Selissa was not, and combined with the untrustyworthiness of many fey she didn't care to have it listening in.

"Half-blood," she said in way of greeting. "Good. Without silver, I can not hunt them. I have other news, though. Troubling."

She paused to glance around for any crows, and listened for their croaking chirps.
    ... Join us when you're dressed, Selissa heard trickling out the door as Birel opened it and joined them. The wood elf blinked, surprised. Birel was already seeing at least one of them naked? That was... fast. Selissa, in truth, had experience somewhat between little and none, but these things were meant to take longer, surely?

W-well, it was none of her concern.
    "Far-sister," she greeted the other female elf. "I was just telling this one. We received a message. Delivered by crow. Ill tidings, I think."

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Birel Amastacia
    High Elf Wizard

Birel gives Selissa an inquisitive look, but waits for everyone to have gathered around. Once everyone is present she says, "My friend Esquel Brownbottom here just told us where the lair of the werewolves can be found and that they have elected a leader. I doubt they'll wait too long before troubling the town. But you had fowl news as well cousin?"

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Fanlomen looks over the others who had spent the night at Birel's. Upon seeing the ouphe, he gives a polite bow and speaks a simple greeting meant to acknowledge the fey's presence. "Good day to you, Mr. Fey. May the wills of the ancients be in your favor."

He listens to the exchange of information between each of the members of the group and relays the information from the message. "Someone by the name of 'Moira Taggart Bo'Tel' sent us a message in a manner that suggests she may be the witch we are supposed to go after. She wishes to meet with us, but I can only imagine that it is a trap of some sort. Either that, or she is not a very clever witch."

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Jemriah Cleater
    Aberrant Mind Sorcerer 3 | AC 15 | HP 20/20 | PP 11 / PIns 11 / PInv 10

After what felt like an eternity in the small kitchen that left his mashing arm a bit sore, Jemriah emerges from Birel's cottage catching the tail end of the developments. Interesting news, but he wasn't so sure their first assault on Pale Night's plans would be wrapped up so easily. "I made a light breakfast before we venture into town again if you're hungry," as greeting to the two newcomers. "With both forces developing quickly we should discuss further before visiting the Chief. It's much more comfortable inside," he suggests glancing at the already blaring sun, but more importantly knowing full well the indiscriminate nature of the fey who dealt with all creatures in the forest.
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2020-08-16 at 01:14 PM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Vargath nods at Jemriah's assessment. He didn't wish to get bogged down with too much discussion - decisive action to best make use of the daylight they had. Once the group is all assembled together inside, he speaks up. He takes a moment to clear his breath before speaking, looking to summarise the situation. "From Selissa's scouting and the fey's bartered information we have a likely location for the beast's lair and a suggestion that going during daylight hours would be optimal. The chief promised us the location of some silver, presumably weapons, to give us the edge -" he pauses at the unintentional pun for half a breath before continuing - "- that we need. The beasts appear to have chosen a new alpha to lead them - a human act, rather than that of wolves, and I'd expect in cases like these that the pack leader would look to establish his dominance with a show of force, which means an attack may be imminent."

"I had thought the witch the least pressing matter - in the face of the cult and encroaching wolf-beasts it seemed she could wait, yet now she's forcing our hand." A droplet of irritated sweat forms on his head, dripping around his thick cheek his attention turns to the two elves. "Do you have the exact wording of the message? And the manner in which it arrived to you." He was running through potential paths in their head already. If they could oust the witch in a relatively quick and ideally painless manner perhaps they'd have time to pursue the beasts while the summer sun still reigned. Or perhaps they could collect the silver, wipe out the beasts in a single figurative stroke and then approach the witch...but then they'd be diminished, and in the event of a fight may not come out at all. Frustrating.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

30. - Top - End - #270

SwashbucklerGuy

Set Al-Sayyid

Interjecting before Selissa or Fanlomen can describe the witch's message, Set offers his own assessment for what it's worth. "Seems like the wolves leave us with little choice," he says from beneath the shemagh, brown eyes peering out at each of them before settling on Vargath and Selissa. Even as his robes and shemagh grow damp with sweat, Set is thankful for their familiar embrace as they help to hide every unconscious twitch and spasm that might color his words. Bearing his body, insofar as it was his, was no cause for concern or shame. Bearing his true thoughts, even on matters that otherwise seemed innocent, was another matter.

"If you heard them last night, they're close enough to strike tonight. Maybe they will or maybe they won't, but if they do come and we're holding naught but steel, any plans that this witch has for the village won't matter. She can do whatever she wants if there's nothing left but slaughter. Last night, some villagers were...killed." The word felt wrong considering the way in which those families were eviscerated, but he was sure none of them needed a reminder of how gruesome it had been. "If those wolves decide to move on the village, more will die without silver. More will probably die anyway," Set admits, uneasy about his place in all this. He'd put himself squarely in the path of destruction and without even the tools to fight, but it would take some thinking to remember just how he'd gotten here. If his sisters were caught up in this he couldn't see how, but neither could he walk away now. One village at the center of a cult, a pack of werewolves, and a witch...there was too much evil concentrated in too small a space, and looking around Set saw a group of faces that didn't seem intent on shrinking from the danger.

"I'll admit," he continues slowly, trying to form the right words, "I am a novice when it comes to magic and I know not what this witch can do. But if we focus on her and the wolves come before we can prepare for them, we may well be better off packing up and walking down the road." Having said more than he intended to already, Set finally shuts up and looks down at his feet, avoiding Selissa and Birel's gaze in particular. He wasn't ready to pack up and abandon the village even if it was an option for him, but neither could he assuage the sinking feeling that there was much more going on that they couldn't yet see. Pale Night, the Shadowkeeper, Jemriah...even if Set's sisters were safe, and he couldn't even be sure of that, who would be alert to the machinations of those three if Set left? Would Selissa or Fanlomen be able to track Pale Night's influence to the source? Would Vargath be able to hear the Shadowkeeper's whisper over the voices of giants? Would Birel recognize the Fake One's duplicity before his corruption could instigate her fall from the heavens? Mouth twitching, Set's eyes look back up at the others, determined to meet their gaze and stay the course.