New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Default In Dark Sun, was it ever revealed what the black sphere in Ur-Draxa was?

Spoilers for Valley of Dust and Fire.

In the exact center of Ur-Draxa, in the Dragon's Sanctum, there's a black sphere that cannot be destroyed by any means. It emanates an immense aura of all the schools of magic, but there are otherwise no distinctive marks.

Was it ever revealed what this was? I thought it might be the Dark Lens, but it seems to be a different but similar object. Is there something in the Prism Pentad novels that indicates it, or is it in a sourcebook and I just missed it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: In Dark Sun, was it ever revealed what the black sphere in Ur-Draxa was?

In the Prism Pentad's last book it is revealed to be....
    Spoiler: Spoiler alert!
    Show
    Rajaat's prison. Rajaat is the one who wanted to purge all the non-halflings from Athas, and the one who created the Sorcerer Kings. They rebelled against him, advanced Boris to Full Level 30 Dragon, and imprisoned Rajaat in the sphere.

Edit: On a somewhat-related note, I prefer to pretend only the first book happened in my Athas. All the rest of the books are just examples of things that could happen, things the PCs are allowed to could attempt to do if they so choose.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2020-06-17 at 07:04 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: In Dark Sun, was it ever revealed what the black sphere in Ur-Draxa was?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    On a somewhat-related note, I prefer to pretend only the first book happened in my Athas. All the rest of the books are just examples of things that could happen, things the PCs are allowed to could attempt to do if they so choose.
    Isn't that pretty much the case with the box set? Or had the revolution in Kalak's(?) city not happened yet? I know that none of the later stuff in the Prism Pentad had happened.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

The revolution against Kalak happened in the first separately-published adventure, Freedom. The adventure included in the boxed set was A Little Knowledge, and has the PCs start as slaves/prisoners in a prison transport, and are "rescued" (ie freed from the slavers, but turned loose without food/water) almost instantly.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Ah, right! That's why I remembered it as the default in the box set. Having a major setting change in the very first module pretty much sets the tone for all following publications.