New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Star Wars Squadrons

Imperial fighters do not have repair droids, right? The rebels seem to make a heavy use of them.

I never noticed Darth Vader closing a water bottle before the attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Found this interview with the creative director. Don't know how it'll affect your thoughts, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp...u-need-to-know

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RagingBluMunky View Post
    Found this interview with the creative director. Don't know how it'll affect your thoughts, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Huh. Well, on the one hand, they've thought of some more things than I was expecting, with him describing how maxing out engines, lasers, and shields works. Honestly, I wasn't even sure whether to expect them to allow redirecting power between the three systems, like in the old games, much less have benefits for maxing any one out.

On the other, I cringed when I read that he'd seen Poe's maneuvers at the start of The Last Jedi and wanted to implement something like that into the game.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

4. - Top - End - #34

There's a moment where he turns off the propellers and does an 180° turn. That would be cool. Hypermaneuverable fighters can do something similar.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RagingBluMunky View Post

Hmm.

The thing that stands out most was them saying they just wanted to put out a game with microtransations or live services and stuff, which means it might actually not be utterly terrible again. If EA execs actually let them. Which they seemed to with Fallen Oder, I guess so...

Though I will very much take a wait and see approach, I perhaps will not completely dismiss it out of hand.

(If it's good enough, let the modders at it for a while and I nearly garentee half the old EU will be back in it...!)

The most HILARIOUS part of might be if this IS actually good enough to get, I can almost garentee that even if I have to have a year or something if it's an Epic exclusive (who knows), it will mean I would STILL be getting a new modern spacefighter sim before Star Citizen/Squadron 42 comes out...

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Since people keep mentioning it potentially being Epic Exclusive, I figure I should mention that it's got a Steam page up showing an October 2 release date.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Enixon View Post
    Since people keep mentioning it potentially being Epic Exclusive, I figure I should mention that it's got a Steam page up showing an October 2 release date.
    Doesn't necessarily mean it won't be, only that it isn't at the moment; I can't imagine EA turning down a suitable fat pile of cash if they were offered, we've see it happen before.

Though granted, it does at least suggest the chance of that is somewhat lower.

8. - Top - End - #38

I think Metro Exodus did make that sort of prank in the past.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Zevox
    Gameplay trailer is up…. Strange thing to me is they say that the multiplayer modes require you to play through (at least part of, they weren't clear on how much) the single player mode to get to. That's just an odd design decision to my mind.
    Looked great to me, but I haven’t played a Star Wars game in a long while.

As for starting with single-player, that makes sense to me. You take some time to familiarize yourself with the ships before you’re in a situation where your team is depending on you. Without that flight time you’re a liability to everyone else.

That’s what seems logical to me, anyway.

Originally Posted by Zombimode
    Also, not a fan of using newly made-up starcraft types over the more established types.
    Which types do you mean? I didn’t see anything I haven’t seen in the movies, at least as far as fighters go.

Originally Posted by DeTess
    *except that one time they threw an untrained youth who grew up flying T-16s and was strong with the Force into the cockpit of one when a death-star was trying to blow up their base, I suppose.
    Just a thought.

Originally Posted by Vinyadan
    I never noticed Darth Vader closing a water bottle before the attack.
    According to the script, in this shot Vader “calmly adjusts his control stick” as he leads his three-ship formation into combat. He adjusts it again a little later when he’s trying to get a lock on Luke in the trench.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Which types do you mean? I didnÂ’t see anything I havenÂ’t seen in the movies, at least as far as fighters go.
    Probably the 'support fighters' - the TIE Reaper and the U-Wing show up in Rogue One, but I think not in any of the other movies.

Mind you, the only other types established by the older movies that I can think of off the top of my head and would seem to fit the supply shuttle theme that seems to be indicated for 'support fighters' by the gameplay trailer are the Lambda shuttle and the TIE Shuttle, both of which are strongly affiliated with the Empire; the older movies don't really show anything in that category in the Rebel lineup except the Millennium Falcon (so YT-1300) and Tyderium (so Lambdas again), or maybe the B-Wing if you're willing to ignore its historical classification as an attack fighter and the Y-Wing's intended successor.

The most HILARIOUS part of might be if this IS actually good enough to get, I can almost garentee that even if I have to have a year or something if it's an Epic exclusive (who knows), it will mean I would STILL be getting a new modern spacefighter sim before Star Citizen/Squadron 42 comes out...
    I wouldn't count on this being much of a simulator; the description for the 'support fighter' in the gameplay trailer seemed to indicate that they had some kind of resupply ability ("support ships can keep allies safe and stocked up"), which suggests to me magic mid-combat ammunition (and maybe also hull/shield) replenishment as an activatable ability rather than the more 'boring' realistic in-flight refueling that you really wouldn't want to be doing in the middle of a dogfight.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Aeson
    Probably the 'support fighters' - the TIE Reaper and the U-Wing show up in Rogue One, but I think not in any of the other movies.
    Well, everyone has their preferences. I just see this as incorporating additional types that were in service, but not necessarily deployed in the engagements seen in earlier movies.

Originally Posted by Aeson
    …the description for the 'support fighter' in the gameplay trailer seemed to indicate that they had some kind of resupply ability…which suggests to me magic mid-combat ammunition (and maybe also hull/shield) replenishment as an activatable ability….
    There’s a very brief scene in that trailer which seems to show exactly this—a support ship firing some sort of “package” which hits another ship and gives you a sound effect with no damage to the target. It’s onscreen when the narration is describing the support fighters, so I think you’re correct with the magic resupply option.

Not exactly a KC-135, but it makes a modicum of sense to be able to transfer resources where they’re needed in an engagement.

Last edited by Palanan; 2020-06-19 at 10:46 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I'm with DeTess. Someone wake me when they make a non-multiplayer-based Star Wars game. I'll probably be retired by then, if not dead.

I may buy it used. Not giving EA any money directly.
    They did, right? Fallen Order? Or are you thinking of something else?
    Current Character(s):
    Vincent Longshadow - College of Whispers Half Elf Bard/Blackguard
    Umbero Falone - Swashbuckler Half-Elf Rogue

Retired Characters:
    The Third - Awakened Human Mystic
    Wade Way - College of Lore Tiefling Bard
    Dag Cannith - Armorer High Elf Artificer

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by WadeWay33 View Post
    They did, right? Fallen Order? Or are you thinking of something else?
    Yeah, others pointed that out earlier, at which point my foot was squarely within my mouth.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

I'm trying not to get my hopes up because done right this would be my dream game. TIE Fighter from the 90's is still in all probability my favorite game ever and I've invested more into the X-Wing and Armada miniatures games than I'm comfortable admitting.

But I'm expecting it will be closer to the "single player" in Battlefront 2 rather than Fallen Order.
    Last edited by Dire_Flumph; 2020-06-25 at 10:51 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Just to follow up, here's a review with cockpit footage based on several hours of gameplay:

The reviewer seems pretty positive overall. The "volcanic" TIE fighter was a nice touch.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

If the reviews are good, I might get it. "Assault class" Bwing vs Gunboat would guarantee a purchace, though.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

I wanna play co-op with a friend in a Millenium Falcon's turret while I pilot, trying to escape Imperials.