New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Any AD&D 2e Homebrewers Here?

I'm looking to convert races made for Pathfinder and D&D 5e to AD&D 2e for a Planescape campaign, and don't have the knowledge or skill for homebrewing needed for AD&D 2e. So I'm looking to see if anyone here has any experience with such who could give advice and suggestions? While also being open minded to the races I'm hoping to convert, which are from a particular setting.
    Last edited by JonathonWilder; 2020-06-17 at 10:12 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Any AD&D 2e Homebrewers Here?

A bit of homebrewing here, but for your project I would suggest an already made reference template. Check out "Player's Options: Skills & Powers" -- a rather infamous book, but not nearly as bad if you think of it as more "GM's Option" and keep it under a tight leash. Anyway, you won't need most of the book too much as you are trying to do Race conversions -- which the book has a chapter on its point value recommendations to build your own races. From that starting point you can adjust to taste and likely save a lot of playtesting time.

Good luck! Have fun!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Which ones? I've got Warforged done, and I think I did Dragonborn, but I haven't found it recently.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Hmm... So I'm going to take a chance and be straight with everyone. I'm looking to convert the races of the Ponyfinder Campaign Setting to AD&D 2e for a Planescape game.

So yeah, a campaign with talking and colorful pony races. Plus griffons, deer, winged felines called purrsian, and among others.

Also, it's been a while since I've played AD&D 2e, but did that edition have playable flying races? I can't remember.
    Last edited by JonathonWilder; 2020-06-18 at 03:33 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JonathonWilder View Post
    Also, it's been a while since I've played AD&D 2e, but did that edition have playable flying races? I can't remember.
    A few optional and odd ones. Complete Humanoid had a few (aarockra, which also made an appearance in Dark Sun), Fremlin, Pixies (IIRC), plus Avariel showing up in the Complete Elf. The were rarer, but it should be pretty doable.

As for conversions, I can't help you with Ponyfinder; I don't have it, and I have no desire to spend $20 on it. You make conversions and I'll critique them, though... or I can flat-out make Earth Ponies, Unicorns, and Pegasi as 2e races.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2020-06-18 at 03:37 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hmm... So I'm going to take a chance and be straight with everyone. I'm looking to convert the races of the Ponyfinder Campaign Setting to AD&D 2e for a Planescape game.

So yeah, a campaign with talking and colorful pony races. Plus griffons, deer, winged felines called purrsian, and among others.

What's amazing to me is that you said that with a straight face.. at least I assume you did :)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by paladinn View Post
    What's amazing to me is that you said that with a straight face.. at least I assume you did :)
    You haven't been following the Campaign Quotes thread, have you. Digo Dragon and several others have tons of awesome quotes from their (I think) Fallout: Equestria games. And someone brought a pony into a Shadowrun game, as well. Pony games are not as rare as you might think.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

8. - Top - End - #8

This is the most awesome thing I've heard today.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maglubiyet View Post
    This is the most awesome thing I've heard today.
    Thank you, though no one has really been able to help me as of yet.

10. - Top - End - #10

EvilClericGuy

*All* 2E is homebrew. It just got prettied up by Marketing.

OK. Not really.

Joking aside, and realizing that I don't have any real familiarity with My Little Pony beyond knowing it exists, let's try this:
    1. Complete Book of Humanoids has Centaurs. Start with that as your base race and do something mechanically to remove the humanoid side of the equation.
    2. Planewalker's Handbook and other sources have tieflings. Steal their spell-like abilities wholesale, and use a random table of some type to give your ponies superpowers.
    3. Eyeball the racial ability modifiers and adjust them to the source material as necessary.
    4. Level limits? Up to you; I like that aspect of 2E. I'm in the minority. The majority is wrong. WRONG! Mwhahahahaha!
    5. You'll get better flavor by controlling the classes available. 2E's got dozens, and what you include in the setting really flavors the setting. You're under no obligation to include everything.

Or maybe look over CompHumanoid's treatment of pixies, orgre magi, or firbolgs. Double XP for superpowers is a thing. That I can speak to: it's been effective in balancing out the firbold PC in my Al-Qadim game.