New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Chapter 1 When angel's fall

Spoiler: @Amara & Crystal
    Show
    You knew things were bad when half of your crew stepped down after seeing the things you had in that mine, however what happened after was far worse. The very next day Issarel went missing, leaving only a simple letter behind at your common room table asking you not to look for her. Lord Benedict Shellford IV and Daruk by all accounts simply vanished sometime after dropping Lady Claudia off at her home. Then Joshua in his grief chose to stay behind and take care of the widow and her three children after having killed her husband in cold blood. Most days he could be found at the temple of the Lover's however he seemed a shell of himself, as the mental wounds of killing an innocent tore away at him.

With so many problems going on, and worried for your safety Agimaex asked you to be patient while he asked for new recruits to be sent here just as you had, which begs the question how many people had died for this mission so far? Was your group really the first ones sent here, or simply another expandable group of people? Taking to your own ways of passing the time while you waited for your new recruits to arrive Mitéra Iulia made sure the two of you always felt welcome at the Golden M, even when young Jax came home with Crystal one day.

This morning seems different however as when you arrive downstairs Agimaex is already waiting for you all at his customary table. "The others should be arriving today, they are more experienced then you all were when you first arrived, and I hope because of that they will not turn away from their duty to the Empire however I cannot be sure." he explains honestly to the two of you as he takes a sip of tea from the cup before him, Nero seated comfortably in his lap lazily looking across to Jax, before placing his head back down. "Tell me, have you heard anything else about those missing? I have sent word to Tuta Lingnum to look for your missing friend Issarel, however they had their harvest festival where everyone wears masks so my contact was not able to find her." he explains telling you what he had learned of Issarel, it seems she had followed through with her former masters demands and went to meet him, but what happened after still remains a mystery.

Spoiler: @Tarik Ch'Karthis
    Show
    Luck was not on your side as you received the letter from the Emperor, had you been out still helping others you no doubt would have missed it, however by luck or fate you had made your way home to rest when you were given a sealed envelope from your father bearing the Emperor’s seal. Reading the letter over and realizing he was directly asking you to help serve you people how could you refuse, then again the road would not be easy, for to get to Angelius Ianuam from where you were now would take at a minimum of three days, and that was if the weather held. Going through the Harpax mountain range was too dangerous to do alone, and taking a caravan to Caelum and taking the dwarven trade route would take too long to double back around. This meant you would have to head north, close to the boarders of the Empire and Kurast, hugging the mountain to stay away from random raiding parties until you arrived at the garrison of Apicem. Then you would have a straight shot to the little village spoken about in the letter.

On your journey you were able to stop thankfully the first night in a small mining community that you knew about from your time traveling, and by the second night your former commander was kind enough to let you sleep in the barracks of Apicem Geminae. That day he kept trying to convince you to help train the new recruits explain that a recent attack happened on the fortress, and they believed the wall had been breached by a small group. However when he learned you would not stay he reluctantly asked you to simply keep an eye out and pass the message on to Claudius Majus when you arrived at Angelius Ianuam.

Now standing with the Canbour mountains on your right and the Harpax on your left you see sprawling before you the wooden palisade surrounding the city, though from the stories you heard about how the village got its name you would have thought its walls would be made of stone. Your military mind easily looks over the surroundings and notes while next to a source of water it is not built in the most ideal place, having hills only a few miles away that could hide enemies. Following the road you make your way past traders in their caravan making their way towards Apicem leaving the district of the village known as Sheperd’s Watch which from the looks of it looks a lot like the slums or poor district most places have. The only structure worthy of note is a wooden watchtower a few hundred feet from the main road.

Looking around as you wait to be checked in at the gate you note on the road, maybe one hundred feet behind you, a caravan run by a group of four dwarves and a figure that towers even over you. While the dwarves seem like simple merchants and traders, the man seems to be a monk of some sort. It is not long before you are at the gatehouse on this side of the village when two guards stop you as they seem to be doing with most of the people you have seen on the road thus far. “Greeting’s citizen, name please and reason for being here?”

Spoiler: @"Mission" Freddie James Bishop
    Show
    The trip from Tusen Anfel Temple to Angelius Ianuam had been quite peaceful. Taking the merchants road through Clan Khag's lands easily cut your trip in half as you didn't have to go around the mountains, but instead through them before finding a trading caravan heading to the small village and signing on with them to get there. The entire trip the group spoke in hushed whispers about a mine being over run by demons and cursed however when asked any direct questions about it all they would reply is that some humans went in and came out with a lot of dead bodies.

Following the mountain pass down was a dangerous task, and more then once you had to help pull the wagon back from falling over the cliff. However this also gave you a beautiful view of the little basin below you. All around you were forests hugging the mountain that let out into rolling hills until at last a flat plane before the pattern seemed to repeat itself directly across from you as Harpax mountain rose up to meet its brother high in the sky. To the north you could see the outline of the mighty fortress Apicem Geminae where you had served your time in the military, guarding against invasion from the great beasts of Kurast. And to the south the small village where many soldiers often took their leave for a few days before returning to the wall. It was not unheard of for some of the soldiers to spend all of their coin in the little villages hidden red light district. However that was not why you were here then, nor is it now as you take in the cool mountain air before following the rest of the caravan down the rest of the mountain pathway to the road below.

It was another few hours until at last you came to the district known as Sheperd’s Watch just outside one of the cities two main gates. Before you you can see a line of other traders, as well as a soldier with a shield strapped to his back, no doubt one of those who were serving at the garrison, but where was the rest of his patrol? When at last you make it to the gate the two guards stop the caravan you are with and ask their business before clearing them to pass with you believing you are a part of their group.

Spoiler: @Marcus Polonius
    Show
    Having just finished reading the letter from the Emperor you can hardly believe your eyes. You had always been a survivor, and while you mostly dealt with the barbaric centaur tribes to the east while stationed at Voxin you knew those who had been stationed in other places in the empire had no doubt had it worst, defending against Kurast. The centaur tribes for all their strength lacked a unity, some wished to be allies and often traded and played games with the guards of Voxin while others tried to make it past the fortress to attack the fertile farmland that it overlooked and protected. It was on one of these such farms your parents owned that you read this letter and made your choice. To serve the emperor and head the call.

Traveling south for the entire day you found yourself in the port city of Sinus Tonitralis where you paid for passage on board the Dynames, a simple pinnace style ship of no real note, to bring you to the capital, where you would then travel by land the rest of the way to your destination. The two days spent aboard the ship you realized that while the ship itself may not have been anything special, the captain Arrayna and her first mate, a hobgoblin by the name of Praq were very gifted at what they did, and more than once you could swear you saw a pirate flag on in the distance fleeing from the ship.

However as you arrived in the capital you realized why it was known as the gem of the empire. Everything about the place was meant to draw the eyes in and make people want to look at it. Even the streets, mostly dirt or cobblestone if you were lucky in the bigger cities, were made out of white marble here. And flags with the emperors seal were hung from lamp post frequently. One could spend days exploring this strange and beautiful place, where some of the wealthier women walked around with red snakes wrapped around their shoulders like a scarf almost. Sadly this was not your destination and only a waypoint on your journey as you found a simple inn for the night to rest your head.

And so it is you find yourself rising over the last hill, with the two great mountains, Canbour and Harpax flanking you and the river Vesuvia acting as your guide as the winding river snakes its way down the valley, passing by the village of Angelius Ianuam. Thinking it best to stay close to the water to keep your waterskin full and an easy source of food should you get lost you follow the river northwest until at last the wooden palisade surrounding the town comes into view. It’s about another hour before you find yourself standing at Sheperd’s door. It seems like very few people are using this door this day as you easily make it up to the gate where the guards stop you. “Halt soldier, state your business!” the guard calls out finding it odd you are traveling alone and not with a squad given your gear.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2020-06-19 at 09:43 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Chapter 1 When angel's fall

Amara van Tannin

“No, I haven’t heard anything,” Amara replied, “some I’m sure departed due to the danger, and for those I say we are better off.”

Anyone who would abandon the emperor at the first sign of trouble would only be a liability later on.

“I fear for those who have gone missing though, especially Lord Benedict, he would never abandon his duty,” she said.

“Still, we cannot delay if there are no leads,” she said, “can you tell us of the others coming to join us?”
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Amara & Crystal
    Show
    Agimaex nods his head in agreement with your conclusion. “Sadly I am not trained in the arts of looking for people or using magic to find them. I will try to put in a request with those higher up on the matter. The fact he was a noble’s son will not go unnoticed I hope and will help garner some favor with whatever aid the Empire can offer.” Agimaex promises, though it is clear from his look he is uncertain if anything will come of it.

“As for the others, we sent word to five, some of them days ago due to how long it would take to get here…” he says pausing to think before answering.

“One is a giant standing at the crossroads of two paths, but not due to his size but his heart.
    Next is the Mountain that wishes to soak up the sea. Always gathering what water it can to add to its own.
    The child of the Watch will be hard to miss with the mark of the Father besides her.
    Next is the Sword, strong and true. Its iron unbroken and its will pure.
    Last is the shadow that lives for the past, forgetting that life is in the moment.”

As the old wizard finishes he begins chuckling to himself as if he told an old joke.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

As Tarik stands in line, shield on his back and spear on his shoulder, he can't help smile a bit at the thought of a warm bath. <Gah! I must be getting soft.> he thought to himself. Noting the dwarves with their unusual guard along while taking the sites in, he keeps himself at ease while waiting. Strange, he thought, that they followed the same road as he as instead of the road from Broodfist. Not the dust and muck, he refrained from cleaning the wear of travel from himself.
    "Tarik Ch'Karthis. I seek to speak to Claudius Majus on behalf of Felix Basilius, Commander of Apicem Geminae." he said in plain fashion. As he waited for a response, thought on his old commander and his wish to stay and help, both training his new men and fighting off whatever sappers were trying to gain access to Apicem Geminae, but his mission was larger and clear. But, once done here, he would seek out Felix and lend him his spear.

Spoiler: dantiesilva
    Show

I took a liberty naming Felix.
    Question - Do we know who the rest of the group is or what we look like?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

"I've asked around in town, but nobody I've spoken to has heard anything of Daruk or Lord Benedict," Crystal reports. "We'll just have to be on our guard and hope whoever is responsible isn't wily enough to catch us too. My duty is to the empire - they'd have to force me from it."

Jax looks up from his own place on the table by Crystal's right hand to meet Nero's gaze. He stands lazily, stretches, and then rolls over flailing his legs at Crystal's hand.

"Don't be rude," she chides him gently, as much for his insolence to Nero as his flailing, and he sits up straight again, haughtily overseeing the table.

"You do like your riddles, Agimaex. I look forward to working out who is whom when our new companions arrive. Without Issarel there's little point trying to catch her Enchanter. I suspect it's the ogres in the watchtower that most urgently requires our attention."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Marcus Polonius comes to an immediate halt and stands at attention.

In a voice slightly louder than is comfortable
    I come in search of food, drink, and work, SIR.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Hunter Greene

Strolling up a dozen paces behind Marcus Polonius comes a gnome woman of middle years, middle size and showing the dust of the road on some otherwise new and well tailored travel clothes. She's not armed, and carries only a small pack.

As Marcus comes up to a full salute, she glances appraisingly at his ass. Hooah, indeed.

Sauntering up alongside Marcus, Hunter gives the guard a winning smile.

"Hunter Greene, and here for more or less the same thing, I guess."

Her smile faded, and she sighed. Gods, I do miss being able to wink from time to time.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Freddie Bishop

Freddie did not seem to pay any mind to anyone else in the line, but, this was an act on his part. Instinctively Freddie would read people to get ideas about those around him or to see when something was out of place. So it was with the soldier out of place and instead he patiently waited while casually smoking some rolled tobacco and talking to the Dwarves about the good fortune they met on the roads.

When they had finally passed through the gate, Freddie Bishop nodded at his dwarven travelling companions and bid them good travels and good journeys in the future.

Looking around the foreign town he decided to walk around the perimeter. If he notices the Church of Heironeous he will go inside to pray before continuing around the city to establish where everything is at in his mind. When he finds The Golden M, he will enter as well to ask discreetly about his lodging arrangements and to glance around the common area.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2020-06-22 at 06:57 AM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: @Tarik
    Show
    With you gear clearly depicting you as a soldier of the empire and naming your friend and the commander of the main stronghold in the area that keeps the draconian monsters at bay the guards take a better look at you. One you note seems to be at least twenty years older then you are, his rich brown hair that is most common and appealing in the Empire slowly starting to turn grey in some places. He carries a spear much like your own, though you doubt it has the magical properties of your own. And a deep claw like gash runs down his face from his temple to his shoulder. The other seems still new, the armor he wears to clean, and his expression showing that of one who has never seen true battle before. "I see, well then when you enter the main gate you should head straight to the garrison. If you walk in and head west, follow the outer wall until you come to the church of Heirneous, our guardhouse is the building next to it." the older guard says as he looks to you as if asking if something bad had happened at Apicem Geminae, something his partner seems oblivious to.

Spoiler: @Amara & Crystal
    Show
    "I suspect Lord Benedict felt the same way that is what worries me. Be on your guard and if something seems off I trust you to do what you must. Just try not to cause to much damage." Agimaex replies agreeing that if two of your party could be caught no doubt they would be trying to get the rest of you before you could report anything of note.

As for Riddles, it was an easy way to pass time during my active duty days at the wall given few soldiers like working besides those who wield magic. So me and the others often used to speak in riddles if we wanted to say something without the guards catching on. I'm sure a code breaker like you won't have that hard of a time with it though honestly as its more of a habit then on purpose. Now if I was really trying to throw a riddle your way..."he says before trailing off. "Do you remember the coded message that marked you as who you were? It's proven safe so far as a way to tell friend from foe I would advise using your own code however when the team is assembled so you can always know no one is compromised." he says standing up as a figure walks out the door that had been sitting down at one of the tables the opposite side of the tavern. "With that I need to go check up on my own duties. Good luck." Agimaex says as he and Nero cut through the kitchen to the Golden M, no doubt leaving out a back exit.

Spoiler: Hunter and Marcus
    Show
    As the two of you note that you are simply in the village for work as well as food and drink they point to your weapons. "We are a law abiding town, that means no use of weapons in the streets. If someone steals from you leave it to us, or deal with it nonlethaly. As for work, not much work for a soldier in these parts unless your going to the wall. The guard captain has more of us then there are patrol routes." then turning to hunter , as for a gnome I honestly can't say if we would have a job for you or not miss. Don't know what your type can do. Don't get many travelers from Axiom in these parts." neither seems to wish to stop you from entering the small town however.

Spoiler: @Freddie Bishop
    Show
    As you and the dwarves you had shared a journey with part ways they wave goodbye to you and wish you luck. Thanking you again for your helping them on their journey to the small human town. No doubt without your help the wagon would have gone over the cliff and they would have lost a great deal of their cargo, which while mostly iron weapons and armor did also have a few meats and cheeses from their own lands to be traded in the village.

Walking around the perimeter of the city you follow the wall West until you reach the temple of Heirneous, in truth a small keep standing besides what appears to be the local guardhouse. Standing on guard duty outside the temple seems to be a paladin given his arms and armor of Heirneous with a faithful mastiff at his side. As he sees your holy symbol the fellow paladin holds up his hand in greetings. "What's the story, chief?" he asks respectfully.

Spoiler: @Jopustopin & Razorback
    Show
    You both would be following an identical path, up to you if you wish to have your characters interact with each other/notice this and the like.

Spoiler: @NiKkatsu
    Show
    It had been another wonderful night spent in Iulia Concordia, their were songs sung about your bravery, drinks passed around with all the younger soldiers and those getting ready to go off to train for their first time, and plenty of single women for you to do what it is you always did. However as you woke up in typical fashion the oddest thing happened, a knock came to your door followed by. "Message from the capital for a Oetychus Alamar." at first you ignored this thinking perhaps the person would simply go away. However as the knocking continued for another ten minutes straight you realized you would have no such luck. Opening the door and snatching the letter from the messenger and replacing it with a silver in the matter of seconds you close the door once more before he even has a chance to fully understand what just happened.

So the Emperor himself had even taken note of you now, yet why was he sending you to some backwater town to deal with cultists and spies, that wasn't where your talents were. Then again who knows if the story had reached the Empire and what was being said about you and your bravery with stopping those bandits single handily, or so the story goes. Well best not to keep the Emperor waiting as you pack your belongings up and spend a good two hours promising to return to your three romantic partners, each one begging you not to go as their parents roll their eyes knowing you for the dog you are and hoping you will be gone long enough they can get their daughters with a good husband before you return.

With two bottles of wine from House Ausonia's private stocks you make your way to the town mentioned in the letter. It takes you about a half day to reach the place. Two towering wooden doors stand open with people walking in and out of the town, guards questioning all who enter. At the moment it seems to be some solider and a gnome woman, perhaps a dignitary from Axiom and her private guard? An ambassador, the possibilities are endless. You could probably catch up to them if you ran the rest of the way, before they entered the town.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2020-06-21 at 09:36 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Hunter Greene

With her crossbow stored in her pack and her slender blade securely strapped flat to her forearm, Hunter is reasonable confident that the guard is talking about Marcus' sword -itself about the same size as Hunter - when referencing soldiers and weapons. She smiles wearily.

"I understand, officer. I will endeavour to contain my brawling instincts. And I assure you, my 'type' hasn't had any luck in figuring out what to do with me, either."

With a smile and a nod, she heads on in. Her smiling face shows entirely genuine pleasure - the enjoyment of seeing a new place, the anticipation of feeling useful again. But her instincts can't help but maintain a running narrative of risk management. Where are the exit routes? Where are the choke points where an ambush would be especially effective? Where would she set up a watching point to monitor flow of folks in and out of the gates.

She glances up at Marcus and gestures towards the market square ahead.

"Well, can I buy you lunch, soldier?"

Spoiler: Physical Description
    Show
    An attractive gnome woman of a certain age smiles up at you wearily, and waves a delicate hand toward the chair next to her.

"A drink? I think that I was drinking beer."

There is a weariness to her tone, but she moves with a certain cautious grace as she carefully reassembles the complicated machine on the table between you. As more parts come together, it takes shape as a squat crossbow of some sort, but one that seems to have some sort of elaborate box stuck on top, and with at least three switches on the left side the purpose of which is not immediately clear.

"My eye's up here, darlin."

there is a sardonic drawl to her reference to the tan eyepatch covering her right eye. She is dressed in a fresh set of travel clothes, clean and whole, in browns with gold highlights. Pockets and pouches line the sides of her vest and pants.
    Spoiler: Statblock
    Show
    Hunter Greene
    Female CG Gnome Factotum, Level 4, Init 9, HP 36/36, Speed 20'
    AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 15, Fort 2, Ref 5, Will 1, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Concealed in sleeve sheath Dagger +2 (+7 thrown) (1d3, 19-20)
    Darkwood MW Heavy Repeating Crossbow (20) +8 (1d8, 19-20)
    Grenadelike Missile +7 ( , )
    +1 Mithril Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +3 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 22, Wis 11, Cha 16
    Condition None
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Oetychus runs up to the gnome and her guard, sensing opportunity.
    ''Lady, Sir. Good day to you both. I present myself: Oetychus. A humble musician, poet, bard.''

He bows and takes the gnomish woman's hand, kissing it softly.

''You must be new to these parts. Would you require a guide? Although, in perfect honesty, I cannot boast the knowledge of this place, I am certainly talented at finding my way around and can also provide you with entertainment. You must be weary from the road? Let me help lift your spirits.''

he starts playing a beautiful ballad on his lute, accompanied by singing in elvish.
    Spoiler: perform
    Show
    (1d20+13)[23]
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2020-06-22 at 12:13 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Marcus Polonius
    In the same slightly loud voice:
    Acknowledged, SIR

To Hunter at a normal volume once inside:
    Sorry Ma'am I am supposed to meet a client at the bar. Hope you find something tasty.
    Last edited by Novabomb; 2020-06-23 at 11:28 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Hunter Greene

The gnome nods and smiles at the flirtatious lutist.

"Well, hello there, you butter-voiced beignet. It's been quite some time since I've had my spirits lifted, so thank you!"

She leans into Marcus' inquiry with genuine appreciation for his concern, responding with discretion as she also listens with approval to the Oetychus' well trained voice.

"Never and always, my dear. Never and always. It's gracious of the guards at the entrance to reinforce their desire to help, but if that's what they mention, then it's likely that it's been a source of problems in the past. You don't mention a two for one sale on bonnets if no one's wearing a hat."

She applauds the end of Oetychus' song, and gestures to the road ahead.

"Well, gentlemen. It's a beautiful day, and I fancy some street food and browsing, if it's a market day. Shall we go see?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Leaving post in place in case the space is needed, will delete otherwise
    Last edited by Novabomb; 2020-06-23 at 11:29 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Flumph

To Marcus, Oetychus says: ''No need to be sorry, sir, I can accompany the lady.''
    He asks a great many question to the gnome: 'Where are you from?' 'What brings you here?' 'Where did you get those well tailored travel clothes?' He seems very interested by all of her answers, but this small talk hides another motive: the letter he received mentioned six individuals - he has his doubts that the arrival of a gnome at this very moment in this small town may be no coincidence! Eventually he proposes:
    ''You mentioned the market? A charming idea! But how about this: first we should get rid of our baggage, don't you think? I was meant to stay at the Golden M. My accommodations are already paid for there. Perhaps you should stay there too!''

He smiles a lot, smoothing his beard regularly whenever he talks. He is charming albeit his somber attire.
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2020-06-22 at 04:52 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Hunter Greene

Hunter bids Marcus Polonius an adieu, and turns to stroll towards the central square with Oetychus. Her responses to his questions are urbane, playful, and show that she's clearly enjoying his company, but don't convey any real information. As often as not, she turns the questions back to the young man, asking never about what he was doing here, but about the fine cloth of his lute strap, the relative merits of using a rapier over a longsword like Marcus', and so on.

When invited to join him at the Golden M, Hunter seems disinterested but open to the idea.

"Of course! I'm traveling without luggage on this trip, but I'd happily join you there for a drink. And if you say that the inn is a fine place to stay, I should at least check it out. Lead the way, sir!"
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2020-06-23 at 10:09 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

"Past the church of Heirneous? I will make due haste there. My thanks." he says with a small bow of his head, leaving the mans questioning look unanswered. The man was obviously seasoned and would understand that he would have to follow the chain of command. As Tarik prepares to leave the gates, he sees the taller man as he leaving his dwarven friends and heading the same way. "Heading to the church or the garrison? My guess is the church. You have the look of a warrior, but not necessarily that of a soldier." he says, noting the mans gauntlets and shield but lack of spear or shield. Maybe he lost it during a fight on the path to Angelius Ianuam. Odd either way.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Freddie Bishop

Freddie looked around as if he hadn't noticed the shielded soldier waiting for him. Still smoking he smiled at the man before responding:

"I'm not heading anywhere in particular, never been to this town." Freddie looked around, "I could stop by the Church of Heirneous if you know the way but my times as a soldier have ended."

Now that he's in town he takes off his gauntlets and puts them in his backpack before extending a hand, "Freddie Bishop. Done my five in Clypeus Igni. Out now a couple of months. I'm supposed to be meeting six friends here in a bit, but not too sure if I'll recognize them when I see them. Thought one of them fought with a shield and spear; sound right to you?"
    Camel's Handbook

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

"Tarik Ch'Karthis." as he grasps wrists. "I have never been here, but the gateman told me the way. I have to go near there in order to pass word to the Claudius Majus for a friend and then I'm free. I, too, did 5 years and they would have had me another 5 if obligations hadn't pulled me away, but it's been nearly a year since..." as Freddie comments on meeting his friends and giving a description of himself. <Coincidence or trap?> he thinks to himself. "I, too am to meet some... friends here. Perhaps, once I've spoken with Claudius Majus, we can continue to this conversation?"

20. - Top - End - #20

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Hunter Greene

Hunter bids Marcus Polonius an adieu, and turns to stroll towards the central square with Oetychus. Her responses to his questions are urbane, playful, and show that she's clearly enjoying his company, but don't convey any real information. As often as not, she turns the questions back to the young man, asking never about what he was doing here, but about the fine cloth of his lute strap, the relative merits of using a rapier over a longsword like Marcus', and so on.

When invited to join him at the Golden M, Hunter seems disinterested but open to the idea.

"Of course! I'm traveling without luggage on this trip, but I'd happily join you there for a drink. And if you say that the inn is a fine place to stay, I should at least check it out. Lead the way, sir!"
    As they walk towards the Golden M, Oetychus takes a bit of a more serious tone: '' Madam. I will be blunt, and if my question brings you unease, I am truly sorry. But what really brings you here? I've noticed that you've avoided answering any of my questions, which got me very curious... You seem very smart, and anybody would have been easily fooled by your counter interrogation skills. But not me, I'm afraid. Actually, I believe our being here at the same time is no coincidence...''

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Hunter Greene

The gnome woman sighs pauses in their stroll. She drops her volume significantly, and gestures for the young man to lean in so they could confer more privately.

"Let's ease back on the reins, there, kid. You initiate contact, serenade me, ask a bunch of very specific questions, and don't answer any of my questions. Yet I'm the one acting suspiciously? In the first two minutes of our conversation, you've told me your destination, let it be known that although you've never been here your room is already paid for, and now abruptly changed tactics to force some kind of confrontation. And what if I'm not your contact here? What's your contingency? If I don't show you a blue rose you'll, what, sing me to death in the middle of the street? Shiv me when we get to the hotel?"

Leaning back, she stroked a finger across her forehead, and gestured for him to walk with her again. A headache was coming on.

"Let's just get you to your room, okay?"

22. - Top - End - #22

Flumph

Oetychus feels a nervous pang in his stomach, but does not let it show. Quickly adjusting his strategy, he let's out an honest laugh and says, in his most seductive tone:
    ''My! You assume much. Firstly, I would never harm you. And a shiv is just so... barbaric! Then, if my room is paid it is simply because I am somewhat of a local hero. I've fought off some bandits and made a name for myself. The story is well exaggerated, but why say no to free lodging and drink? Nothing suspicious about that. Lastly, it is simply that I am awed to meet such a beautiful, intelligent and intriguing woman such as yourself, capable of wit and charm. I simply thought it rather queer for two fascinating individuals to arrive in this rather humble place at the same time. The stars seem aligned, don't you think? Especially when accounting for the fact that it is so rare to meet a traveler from Axiom! I simply could not bring myself to pass you by and was truly curious about you. Perhaps too much so? I-I am deeply sorry if I have flustered you in any way, milady. Alright, let's get on with it and have only cordial conversation from now on. No more prying. No more oddities.''

He winks and offers her is elbow before carrying on, all the while thinking he should be a bit more careful from now on - vacation was over. Time to get back in the game.
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2020-06-23 at 03:43 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Hunter Greene

Rule 14: don't lie unless you have to, because you aren't going to remember them all. Rule 38: don't say ten things when one will do.

Hunter smiled warmly up at Oetychus. Full points for effort, anyway.

"Attaboy. Let's go get that drink. First round is on you.

"Now, about that lovely song you sang back there. I have to admit, I don't speak elven. I think I caught the word for 'trees' and 'love' in the chorus, but the rest blew right by me. What were you singing about?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: @Freddie and Tarik
    Show
    “The guardhouse is on the right of the temple sir.” The older guard says as the younger one goes back to dealing with the daily duties of checking everyone before they enter the gate. “Makes it easier for us to keep an eye on the few prisoners we get if we have the church right besides us. Add in most of us who have served in the war pay at the very least lip service to the Shining one it helps with morale to know aid is not far away should we need it.” He explains unconsciously raising his hand to his scar before seemingly catching himself and dropping it back down. As you thank the guard for directions and simply bow your head down he seems to get your message as he questions you no further on the details and lets you go on your way. Looking around the inside of the gate you notice a horse drawn carriage about 200ft away from you turning off the main road. The livery seems to be of a wolf upon a black shield with a blue stripe, however from this distance most of the details are difficult to see.

And so as Freddie and Tarik follow the directions given by the older guard to Tarik towards the temple of Heirneous they begin talking about time spent in service to the Empire among other things. Of note as you walk many of the houses you pass seem to have a shield of some make depicting what could only be assumed to be their family heraldry. Little boys and girls alike run around the back roads playing soldier and some game where one team must capture some piece of cloth the other team has. Another building you pass seems to be filled some kind of storage facility given the fact you see a bunch of people working to unload a wagon filled with goods of some kind packed in wooden crates.

As you both turn the second to last corner and see the temple come into sight you watch as an old woman with broad shoulders goes running barefoot directly across from what appears to be the guardhouse. A few seconds later two guards start chasing after her, as you walk up you note one on the ground with a bloody nose cursing about the old woman having stomped on his foot before head-butting him.

Spoiler: @Hunter, Oetychus, and possibly Marcus
    Show
    Hunter as you explain that even your own kind haven’t figured out to do with you yet the guard holds his hands up. “I mean a crafter miss, we don’t get many of Axiom’s crafters here in the Swordwatch and when we do they only wish to craft stuff we already have or Alchemy.” The guard says trying to salvage the situation and clear uncomfortable now as he thinks he has offended you.

Eventually you make it into the gate and looking towards Marcus ask him if he wants to go and grab a bite to eat in the market you can see just barely from your vantage point. It doesn’t appear to be overly crowded over in that direction today meaning it is probably not this town’s market day. Though as you slowly move closer it does become apparent a few stalls seem to be open. That is when the young Oetychus introduces himself to both and begins to sing to you which gets the notice of two wealthy looking women with red snakes wrapped around their arms. “Seems the trash will sing to just about anyone nowadays to get a coin.” One of the woman says as the second replies “I remember the days you had to have a license to simply sing in the streets now they just let vagabonds do it whenever they like.” Neither one of the two seem to pay much attention to what the three of you are saying however seeming more caught up in their own conversation about you all from their point of view as they keep walking in the opposite direction you are heading.

From inside Host Square you notice a few stalls set up around the large open area with a central water fountain in the middle of the square depicting an older woman with long hair and a hammer in her hands. On one side is a man selling cabbages he claims are from a farm in Crystallo Nemus and a vendor a few stalls down selling nice juicy red apples. “Come get the finest apples in all of the Empire, got them from my private apple tree I did and you won’t find any sweeter.” The vendor calls as you watch a few people walk over to the stall and buy a few before walking away talking about making an apple pie.

As the two of you begin to talk in hushed whispers you note a patrol of guards enter the square, two seem standard soldiers much like Marcus, however a third carries a bow strapped to his back with a white horn by his side. At the moment they don’t seem to paying any attention to you, however who knows if you keep talking in hushed towns out in the open if you will remain unnoticed.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2020-06-23 at 08:41 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

"Some of the customs here seem... different than in other parts of the empire, it would seem." the spearman says with a tilt of his head towards the hung shields. He is about to continue conversing with his new companion when the explodes out of the building. Reflexively, he takes a small step back as he brings his spear up. Seeing the woman unarmed, he relaxes slightly before returning his spear to position. As the guard gets taken down, whimpering like prodded kitten, he looks to Freddie. "This would seem to be more of your specialty.
    I fear my only options are maiming, though the lad might think she deserves it."
    as the prods the fallen guard, hefting him up by his underarms.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Hunter Greene

Back with the guard at the gate:
    Hunter laughs at her own mistake and the guard's clarification. "Sorry, sorry. My misunderstanding. Seems like you've got good folk here. I'm looking forward to getting to know the town a bit.". Embarrassment and caring about the feelings of others are devoutly to be encouraged, especially in the military.

--

With Oetychus, and possibly Marcus:
    When the young singer offers his elbow, she reaches up to gently wrap a hand around his forearm - really, the only way that this would work, given the height differential. Just like old times.

In the mostly deserted square, again finds herself unable to avoid the tactical analysis - exits, choke points, observation points, people who have no obvious reason to be there. Hunter shook her head. A lifetime of conditioning was going to take longer to undo than she'd hoped. she steers their merry group toward the apple vendor, as a way to not seem so obviously standing around and doing nothing. She smiles up at the vendor.

"Look at the colour on these! Is your tree in full sun, or do you find that a little shade helps the fruit develop more evenly?"

She glances between her arm and Oetychus' leg at the trio of guards entering the square, trying to gauge if they were here in search of something particular, or just on patrol.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Spot to notice anything unusual: (1d20+5)[15]
    Sense motive on the guards: (1d20+5)[11]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Freddie

Freddie looks at the head start the lady has and the guards chasing her and turns his attention to the fallen guard. Jogging over he helps him to his feet while asking, "What happened?"
    Camel's Handbook

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Crystal nods as Agimaex gets up to leave.

"I'm sure we'll think of something," she replies. "As long as there's nobody who takes offense to the idea they could be, this time!" she recalls the first meeting.

As for the riddles - the specifics will be known soon enough, but broad strokes will do for now. "I think we're expecting three warrior types, one other woman, and one shadier type," she suggests to Amara.

"By the way, I've been meaning to thank you for shopping with me and Lady Claudia the other day. My wardrobe was in dire need and I appreciate your help. Your suggestions were all so on-trend! I need a good excuse to show them off sometime."

29. - Top - End - #29

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Hunter Greene

Rule 14: don't lie unless you have to, because you aren't going to remember them all. Rule 38: don't say ten things when one will do.

Hunter smiled warmly up at Oetychus. Full points for effort, anyway.

"Attaboy. Let's go get that drink. First round is on you.

"Now, about that lovely song you sang back there. I have to admit, I don't speak elven. I think I caught the word for 'trees' and 'love' in the chorus, but the rest blew right by me. What were you singing about?"
    Oetychus on rule 14: Lie whenever you feel like it. Lying should be as easy as breathing to you. Plus, you're smart enough to keep track. And if you can't keep track, you're at least smart enough to get out of your lies.
    Oetychus on rule 38: always say ten things. Always.

Oetychus seems suddenly very excited when asked about his song. He explains in detail:
    ''Ah! Good ear. Yes. It was a tale of a maiden and her travels. She is off to meet her betrothed - a wretched old man she has never even met - and she is terribly sad. On the way there, she gets lost in the forest and meets a satyr who tries to woo her. Although at first she is reluctant, his music is quite moving and he eventually succeeds; she falls desperately in love. Note that in this case, the satyr is to be understood as the artful beauty of nature rather than an individual. So, our fair maiden, torn between her loyalty to her family, who need this marriage to advance their own political agenda, and her desire for freedom, decides to stay in the forest. Settling down in a beautiful grove the maiden bonds with a centennial tree, eventually turning into a Dryad, forever becoming a part of the forest. A very compelling tale, to say the least! It is a song about the beauty of nature, and how you can never expect what may be waiting for you at the end of the road - metaphorical or otherwise!''
    He purses his mouth in a self-satisfied smirk before adding:
    ''One of my own compositions, if I may add. The lyrics and the music, both.''

Later, as Hunter glances towards the guards, Oetychus follows her gaze and quickly tries to assess the situation as well.
    Spoiler: skills
    Show
    (1d20+1)[6] for sensing motives, trying to get a feeling of the guards' intentions and (1d20+6)[19] for listening carefully, trying to hear anything the guards may be saying
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2020-06-24 at 05:00 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: @Novabomb
    Show
    Marcus as you state that you are supposed to meet someone at the bar, though not saying which one, you wish the gnome woman luck on finding something good to eat as you get to Host Square with her. However instead of exploring it like Hunter and Oetychus do you stick to the outskirts and begin asking around for The Golden M. After a few people laugh and say good joke, one of the children points to a sign perhaps a few hundred feet away near what looks like a stable. Sure enough two pieces of hay are painted onto the wooden sign hanging above the door making the shape of an M. The entire building you note has a very rustic look to it unlike many of the buildings in the surrounding area which both makes it stick out as well as hides it in plain sight.
    As you walk into the two barn doors that serve as the entrance to the establishment you notice the interior has the same rustic farm feel about it that the outside does, though it is at least clean inside. Everything you can see seems to be made out of wood shipped in from Redwood Haven if you had to guess across the sea judging by the craftsmanship of the products here meaning someone with a lot of money or love has to own this place.

Looking around you note an older woman sitting behind the bar cleaning a few dishes as she talks to someone you can’t see from in the entrance of the establishment. You also note three young woman all about the same age bearing very similar features busying themselves back and forth with a few guests. As you are busy scanning around a voice calls out from the right side of you, calm and very quiet, as if afraid to talk too loudly. “Greetings Sir, may I help you with something? Breakfast was a few hours ago however I’m sure Thomas will have something in the back still.” She explains to you, her dirty blonde hair covering most of her face.

Spoiler: @Amara and Crystal
    Show
    As the two of you begin to reminisce on the shopping trip Lady Claudia brought the two of you on for saving her the other day you note a figure step into the inn. The figure seems slightly shorter than Lord Benedict was however is covered head to toe in a suit of armor unlike your lost friend hiding most of the mans features. One things for sure, no common solider could afford such armor meaning this could be one of your new recruits or someone of importance.

Spoiler: @Freddie and Tarik
    Show
    Back where you are from not everyone openly displays heraldry upon their homes, however here as you walk down the many streets it seems like a matter of pride to these people to show off their houses symbol. Perhaps it could mean something, however before you have time to ask you watch as a jail break seems to take place as two guards make chase the two of you go to help the one that was injured. As the two of you help him up he thanks you, though keeping his hand on his nose. “I think she broke it, I swear next time we catch her shes going to pay for that.” The guard growls, and as you look the nose is indeed broken. “As for what happened, new to town I take it? That was Rufia Thrasea leader of the Golden teardrops we thought we had finally caught her however as you can see she got away….again.” he says with a sigh. "The Captain is going to have me cleaning the barracks for a week after this." the guard says with a shiver seeming to go down his spine at the thought. And now that you get a closer look at the building you do note that it is almost spotlessly clean which is impressive saying most of the roads are dirt in this village, yet besides the blood on the stairs from the guard the rest of the building seems like it was just polished.

Spoiler: @Hunter
    Show
    As you look around the deserted square your trained mind immediately kicks into work, noting a possible 11 exits from the square. Though the ones closet to the east seem to have a stone wall rising up 15ft in the air a short while after them with their own doorways that no doubt could also be locked you gather. This would make either the fountain in the center of the square on a slow day like today, or a roof if you could find a way up the best choices to notice who was going in and out of the square. Almost no one in the square seems to simply be there for no reason, the guards from what you can tell seem to be on patrol given how they walk with an ease, hands nowhere near their weapons and the people themselves seem to pay the town guard no mind as they go about their business.

Spoiler: @Hunter and Oetychus
    Show
    As the two of you make your way up to the apple vendor and Hunter begins showing interests the middle aged gentlemen seems more then eager. "I enjoy letting them have a bit of shade, this way they do not rot to quickly. Add in I hire a bard once a week to go to the tree each day and sing to it to help it feel healthy and grow strong as well. Tell me do you also grow apple trees?" the man asks clearly enjoy this conversation as he pulls out a simple wooden stool, not much, but something for one of you to sit on as the three of you talk apples.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2020-06-24 at 10:47 PM.