Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Fury's Book Club-- Reading Cursed World: Initial Sparks

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Sorry for a late reply, been busy with things.
    Spoiler: chapter 15
    Show

Hehe, I wonder if Ella's specific phrasing there is a hint of something. Nice catch~

"Verde is Rei's Vegeta" is a fun image to me because he is also very tiny.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Obviously, Ella's been in fights worse than the one she saw.

For the record, "flash of wind" is a term you hear getting tossed around every so often, and Final Flash in german is, per google, letzter blitz.

Do with that what you will.

Spoiler: Chapter 16
    Show
    Rei is literally hot-blooded? And her hands can burn red...? We need to get her a giant robot that is piloted by motion controls and is designed to imitate her powers.

Being born on literally the exact day that a parent died? That's gotta be hard.

...Yeah, this whole scene at the grave hits hard.

Why does Rei hate hospitals?

Being around toxic behavior makes you think it's normal.

...Yeah, Chloe probably needs a clean break with her parents. "you're not allowed to be friends with the gay girl. Here, have these total bitches as replacement friends" is bad parenting and between that and her how father wants her to be an Idol, a horribly toxic industry... Yeah.

Shiptease no Jutsu!

Spoiler: Chapter 17
    Show
    Rei, you found out she smokes because you kept staring at her boobs despite hating her. It might not beloved but there's something there.

...I can feel the grime just reading it.

Kite is a kind of bird.

...Thought, is there an Aves named Chicken Hawk?

Those "desert foxes" were all mancers and "wouldn't hurt them" is ridiculously subjective.

Poor Gamma escaped by the skin of his teeth. And Kite's gonna be the villain, or at least a mook,in a future book.

Rei, the hunk defaulting to literal violence whenever the idea of a "fight" comes up is not cute. It's a red flag.

Magnetic personality my ass. There's gotta be something going on here.

Based on what we know of ONY and what we saw of Gamma's backstory... I imagine thepeople he's killed deserve a hell of a lot worse than he gve them.

Gamma is suspicious of Kestral.

Oh, Rei... Sweety, no. Bloodboiling isn't love.

And the twist.

Spoiler: Chapter 18
    Show
    Gamma is the big-damn hero.

Hoever, Gamma, next time "the person you described sounds like he bad guy, be careful" would have been the thing to say. Lack of communication is what gets the person you want about the one-legged man inviting that exact same one-legged man to be the cook on the expedition to find the treasure you're trying to keep out of the one-legged man's clutches.

Well, that fight wascertainly visceral.

After seeing the fight with the thugs, I thought Fury was overplaying how realistic and disturbing the fight s could be, becuase that seemed pretty normal based on my reading. This though? Yeah, I get it now.

Gamma's sheding death flags. I fear for his well being, if only because I can't see Rei being willing to find a wise old pervert to teach her crap about mancy. Rei can teach her, but C'mon, there's tradition to be upheld. The teacher is either a mysterious badass with a tragic past or a perverted old hermit.

Aria's too experienced with this.

"Hell survive as long as he doesn't get shot or stabbed or set on fire or anything. He's cool."

Seriously, why is he after Rei if he didn't know about her powers?

Kestral's afraid or sunrise and sunset? That's... A really specific thing... Has he spent time on a ship?

The puppets became his actual parents? This is gonna lead into the "cry for the devil" moment later in the series, isn't it?

Frankly, Aria, Rei needs friends like that now.

Aria said she'd only learned of Gamma as a friend of Rei's, but knows he's a Shadowmancer. Senses? Or just not leaving out the seats in her mental recap?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here.

Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Obviously, Ella's been in fights worse than the one she saw.

For the record, "flash of wind" is a term you hear getting tossed around every so often, and Final Flash in german is, per google, letzter blitz.

Do with that what you will.

Spoiler: Chapter 16
    Show
    Rei is literally hot-blooded? And her hands can burn red...? We need to get her a giant robot that is piloted by motion controls and is designed to imitate her powers.

Being born on literally the exact day that a parent died? That's gotta be hard.

...Yeah, this whole scene at the grave hits hard.

Why does Rei hate hospitals?

Being around toxic behavior makes you think it's normal.

...Yeah, Chloe probably needs a clean break with her parents. "you're not allowed to be friends with the gay girl. Here, have these total bitches as replacement friends" is bad parenting and between that and her how father wants her to be an Idol, a horribly toxic industry... Yeah.

Shiptease no Jutsu!

Show
    Rei, you found out she smokes because you kept staring at her boobs despite hating her. It might not beloved but there's something there.

Kite is a kind of bird.

Those "desert foxes" were all mancers and "wouldn't hurt them" is ridiculously subjective.

Poor Gamma escaped by the skin of his teeth. And Kite's gonna be the villain, or at least a mook,in a future book.

Rei, the hunk defaulting to literal violence whenever the idea of a "fight" comes up is not cute. It's a red flag.

Based on what we know of ONY and what we saw of Gamma's backstory... I imagine thepeople he's killed deserve a hell of a lot worse than he gve them.

And the twist.

Spoiler: Chapter 18
    Show
    Gamma is the big-damn hero.

Hoever, Gamma, next time "the person you described sounds like he bad guy, be careful" would have been the thing to say. Lack of communication is what gets the person you want about the one-legged man inviting that exact same one-legged man to be the cook on the expedition to find the treasure you're trying to keep out of the one-legged man's clutches.

Well, that fight wascertainly visceral.

After seeing the fight with the thugs, I thought Fury was overplaying how realistic and disturbing the fight s could be, becuase that seemed pretty normal based on my reading. This though? Yeah, I get it now.

Gamma's sheding death flags. I fear for his well being, if only because I can't see Rei being willing to find a wise old pervert to teach her crap about mancy. Rei can teach her, but C'mon, there's tradition to be upheld. The teacher is either a mysterious badass with a tragic past or a perverted old hermit.

Aria's too experienced with this.

"Hell survive as long as he doesn't get shot or stabbed or set on fire or anything. He's cool."

Seriously, why is he after Rei if he didn't know about her powers?

Kestral's afraid or sunrise and sunset? That's... A really specific thing... Has he spent time on a ship?

The puppets became his actual parents? This is gonna lead into the "cry for the devil" moment later in the series, isn't it?

Frankly, Aria, Rei needs friends like that now.

Aria said she'd only learned of Gamma as a friend of Rei's, but knows he's a Shadowmancer. Senses? Or just not leaving out the seats in her mental recap?
    Aah, many delicious thoughts for a sleepy day.

Spoiler: chapter 16
    Show
    Thinkin' about Rei piloting the Shining Gundam now and it's real good.

Aside from the general reasons of "hospitals are just scary", there is a reason why Rei hates hospitals. It'll probably get brought up in a later book.

Chapter 16 is I think one of my favorites, writing wise. Rei just wearing her heart on her sleeve and talking with her dad's grave is super sad, but with this tinge of hopefulness, which leads into the conversation with Chloe wherein we learn that all this time, they probably both had feelings for each other that they were trying to push away. Even with Chloe's injuries, Rei still cheers her up. Even knowing she hurt her, Rei is warmed by Chloe's genuine smile returning. There's an immediate contrast with Kestrel, the guy she thinks she likes, and Chloe, the person she actually loves, that I think stands out.

Spoiler: Chapter 17 and 18
    Show
    I can't say there is a Chicken Hawk, but rest assured; there will be more birds than Kite and Kestrel, hehe.

I'm glad you enjoyed the fight! This one had some issues in creation because, as someone who is inherently just incapable of measuring distance, it was hard to keep clear in my head and on paper how far away Kestrel is from both Gamma and Rei. Factoring in travel time and stuff made it a little tricky to write.

The question "why is he after Rei despite not knowing her abilities" is... a complicated one that he sorta answers, but in a vague and "I'm clearly just a minion" way, so it might be a little dissatisfying in this book. But rest assured, Rei agrees that she wants a better answer, and that's gonna be part of Hidden Embers.

It is a specific thing! As for why... well, we'll see if it comes up, if it even can come up, in the future. As for the mnemonic puppets becoming his actual parents... yeah, that's supposed too hint towards the Aves Class maybe not being as 100% willing soldiers as you'd expect.

I will say, and I should have made this clearer, Aria did not learn Gamma was a shadowmancer from the kids. She senses that out herself.

Ray 01 avatar by Pinkhaired August. C U S T O M!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

[SPOILER]
    Show

Kite is a kind of bird.

And the twist.

Spoiler
    Show
    I was being flip with description, but I wonder if mancers have influence on people akin to their elements/their relationship to their element. So the "magnetic personality" is literally a hunting tactic. Rei inspires people to spontaneous action. Gamma keeps to the background and out of sight.

There are other reasons for these traits yes, but -mancy as a suffix is a way to divine things from you element. As such I suspect that mancy influence is much broader than the literal application of their element manipulation.
    Last edited by Mith; 2020-08-05 at 11:48 AM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Chapter 19
    Show
    Oooh, that dream's a bad sign. Gonna need therapy for that.

Best friend cuddles solve many problems though.

Gamma is a tragic, complicated boy. Zodi, if this series gets big either be prepared to see fanart of him bishified and babied by random teens or demonized for daring to hurt Kestral depending on which type of obnoxious fangirl gets to him first.

It's good that the talk of how Aria should have said something is happening now and not after Aria (almost) dies to drive home the stakes.

...The scene at the hospital is like something out a Slasher/Thriller mix.

Especially the bit where something in Chloe's arm gets busted. Kestral may have just crippled Chloe.

The Company that openly runs the Government is big enough to do whatever the Hell it wants, Verde. You're oddly naive for a ball of concentrated badass.

Good, we're getting the guilt complex breaking pep-talk done before the complex becomes an arc.

Verde reveals that she's a wizard and Gamma can't teach wind magic any better than he could teach pyromancy.

Spoiler: Chapter 20
    Show
    Convinient breaking news is convenient. Narratively, I mean. In-universe it kind of sucks for everyone involved.

Kestral really should be named after a different kind of bird. Something land-based and delicious once you've deboned and deep-fried it. Since he's very much acting like the male of that species.

...This book isn't going end without a Rei on Chloe kiss at this rate.

...With what I know of Ella... I wonder if her "I don't think I can" is more a fear of going too far if she uses her powers.

Honestly, in hindsight, if Rei was willing to kill hen the plan should have involved aiming a blast of fire directly at Kestral's crotch at the first opportunity.

Which is good advice for pretty much anything. If lives are on the line and/or you're willing to go lethal, aim for the groin. Male, female. Doesn't matter. Lots of nervous tissue, blood vessels, and other important stuff in that general area. It will hurt like a motherlover, it will keep the other guy from thinking straight, and it might knock them out, disorient them, or even inflict lethal damage if you hit hard enough.

Verde's monolog made me picture Verde and Rei fusing. Verei.

Verde needs to read some god-damn novels.

Gamma drops more death flags and is very much the product of his upbringing

Foreshadowing that Ella's umbrella is a weapon.

Aria was jovial about the possibility of the house being attacked? "Cheerful and friendly?" Is Aria the Goku of this group? Is this DBZ if we started with Cell and Gohan didn't get screwed over by editorial demands in the next arc?

I reiterate that Ella might be ore afraid of what whe'll do if she's forced to defend herself or others than the idea of being in danger.

At this rate I'm gonna finish before Fury. And probably confuse the hell out fo anyone following along without reading themselves, since my reviews are mostly stream of consciousness thoughts without context mixed with whatever random trivia comes to mind if any does.

Read my fanfiction here.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #245

Show
    Oooh, that dream's a bad sign. Gonna need therapy for that.

Best friend cuddles solve many problems though.

Gamma is a tragic, complicated boy. Zodi, if this series gets big either be prepared to see fanart of him bishified and babied by random teens or demonized for daring to hurt Kestral depending on which type of obnoxious fangirl gets to him first.

It's good that the talk of how Aria should have said something is happening now and not after Aria (almost) dies to drive home the stakes.

...The scene at the hospital is like something out a Slasher/Thriller mix.

Especially the bit where something in Chloe's arm gets busted. Kestral may have just crippled Chloe.

The Company that openly runs the Government is big enough to do whatever the Hell it wants, Verde. You're oddly naive for a ball of concentrated badass.

Good, we're getting the guilt complex breaking pep-talk done before the complex becomes an arc.

Verde reveals that she's a wizard and Gamma can't teach wind magic any better than he could teach pyromancy.

Spoiler: Chapter 20
    Show
    Convinient breaking news is convenient. Narratively, I mean. In-universe it kind of sucks for everyone involved.

Kestral really should be named after a different kind of bird. Something land-based and delicious once you've deboned and deep-fried it. Since he's very much acting like the male of that species.

...This book isn't going end without a Rei on Chloe kiss at this rate.

...With what I know of Ella... I wonder if her "I don't think I can" is more a fear of going too far if she uses her powers.

Honestly, in hindsight, if Rei was willing to kill hen the plan should have involved aiming a blast of fire directly at Kestral's crotch at the first opportunity.

Which is good advice for pretty much anything. If lives are on the line and/or you're willing to go lethal, aim for the groin. Male, female. Doesn't matter. Lots of nervous tissue, blood vessels, and other important stuff in that general area. It will hurt like a motherlover, it will keep the other guy from thinking straight, and it might knock them out, disorient them, or even inflict lethal damage if you hit hard enough.

Verde's monolog made me picture Verde and Rei fusing. Verei.

Verde needs to read some god-damn novels.

Gamma drops more death flags and is very much the product of his upbringing

Foreshadowing that Ella's umbrella is a weapon.

Aria was jovial about the possibility of the house being attacked? "Cheerful and friendly?" Is Aria the Goku of this group? Is this DBZ if we started with Cell and Gohan didn't get screwed over by editorial demands in the next arc?

I reiterate that Ella might be ore afraid of what whe'll do if she's forced to defend herself or others than the idea of being in danger.

Spoiler: 19 and 20
    Show

At this rate I'm gonna finish before Fury. And probably confuse the hell out fo anyone following along without reading themselves, since my reviews are mostly stream of consciousness thoughts without context mixed with whatever random trivia comes to mind if any does.
    Spoiler: 19 and 20
    Show

The irony is that the weirdo Kestrel stans are going to be the ones who are more correct in their depiction of Gamma, given he's a feral scarred up murder-boy. Gamma has his soft moments but as gets brought up when Rei is talking about regrets with Gamma... he has definitely killed multiple people and that's a hard thing.

Finally being able to let loose and present Kestrel as the driven, near-implacable assassin that he presents himself as was fun. Especially given Chloe is in no real place to defend herself right now. We know what he can do and now he is challenging someone undefended.

Verde kinda gets that ONY has a stranglehold on the world, but actually seeing proof of legitimate evil is still kinda shocking, I feel. You "know" but that knowledge hasn't really struck you yet.

Rei is willing to kill... but is she able is the question.

There will be no fusion, don't worry.

Interesting takes on both Aria and Ella here, by the way.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Before we get into our next chapter, I'd like a chance for y'all to weigh in on which book I'll cover next. I've narrowed it down to two choices.

Spoiler: Book Choice!
    Show

Aeon Legion by JP Beaubien. The Terrible Writing Advice guy. This is another YA Fantasy built largely on time travel. The main reasons I'm suggesting this is because it's a book that I've wanted to read for a while, it's by someone whose humor I appreciate, and I already own the book. The fact that it has kind of a unique premise is something of a selling point as well.

Spoiler: Book Choice!
    Show

Aaand After the Fall by EC Meyers. The RWBY book. I have my reservations about this one to be sure, but I also feel like it's something that I'd have a lot to say about. As most of you probably know, it follows the exploits of Team CVFY after the events of Volume Three of the series. I'll probably cover this book eventually if for no reason, I'm a little curious. Also, since I met Zodi on the RWBY threads, it seems weirdly appropriate.

I guess let me know if any of you have preferences about these two and we'll hash it out once we're done with Initial Sparks. If nothing else, I'd like to keep discussion of Initial Sparks going until Rater and Mystic Muse finish their readthroughs.

On that note, on to our next chapter.
    The rwby doesn't offer its kindle version in my region of the kindle store while Aeon Legion does and is cheap enough that I would read it.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

Aaah... It's true. Though it is kind of funny.

Spoiler: Chapter Twenty-three
    Show
    Our Chapter opens with Kestrel and Rei having their fight. It's a rough one, because Kestrel has his iron arm, with its clawed hand and jagged edges. He's even able to pull bits of it off to make weapons. Eventually, Kestrel gets the upper hand and he's got his ferromancy. He says that he won't kill Rei, but this will hurt. It's hard to say what's exactly happening because we only know what Rei is feeling, but I think Kestrel is using ferromancy to restrict Rei's bloodflow until she passes out. Rei has an idea though. As far as we can tell Kestrel's ferromancy mashes the iron particles in the blood into a discreet mass, however iron can be liquid if it's hot enough... Rei is a pyromancer so...

Yeah, Rei superheats her blood as a last-ditch effort to stay in the fight. And from what it seems, it's as painful as it sounds. It seems like she's actually able to produce hotter flames as well since she can melt whatever chunks of iron Kestrel throws her way. When Kestrel is able to grip on of Rei's hands, and Rei grips Kestrel's other hand... It does not go well for either of them. On of Kestrel's hands is a metal claw, and it is able to draw blood. Superheated, burning blood. Seriously, ow. Kestrel's other hand is not metal so... Yeah, given the amount of heat Rei is generating and how angry she is, his hand is instantly charbroiled. It's pretty clear that neither of them can keep this up. Kestrel uses his iron hand to send a spike through Rei's, which is enough to get her to let go. Yet Kestrel's iron arm has been damaged from the intense heat, including the hooks that hold it to the stump. Rei tears it right off, which gives her an opening to punch Kestrel right in his dumb face. Hard enough to break teeth. With fists that are on fire.

After winning the fight, Rei understandably wants to know what the what. Kestrel though... he's never been a very forthcoming guy and even when he does give answers they tend to not be very satisfying. Not much has changed then. He first says that Orochi wants Rei's power. Her fire. Only that's not good enough. Rei doesn't care why Orochi wants her, she wants to know why Kestrel agreed to it. Kestrel says that it was only a job. OK... still not a satisfying answer, and one that just makes Rei even more riled up. Still hurting from the realization that Kestrel is not and never was a friend.

Yet after all this, Rei can't bring herself to incinerate the creep. She remembers what happened to Chloe and all the pain it caused. All she can do is ineptly pummel the ground with her fire. Kestrel sees this as an opening and uses his ferromancy on his remaining, dead hand to make another spike bursting through the remains of his hand. Oh, Kestrel. You really should have quit while you were ahead. Kestrel is immediately consumed by an inferno. Most of him anyway. His remaining arm with the spike protruding from it survived. It got close enough to draw blood from Rei's neck.

As for Rei herself... She notes that the fire in her blood seems to have sealed her wounds and scorched her clothes. She can't feel anything in her right hand after it was pierced with Kestrel's iron spike. Also, now seems like a great time to pass out, so she does.

Aside from the fight with Kestrel, there's not much to comment on in this chapter. Rei still holds out hope that she might have meant something to Kestrel. Something other than a target. This speaks to Rei's better nature that despite everything, she still wanted to believe better of Kestrel. This gets unambiguously thrown back in her face though. The door is pretty firmly shut on Kestrel now. Don't worry, Rei. Some part of him will always be with you. I mean... some of him might be in your lungs now.

You want some Cursed World lore? Well, I'll give you Chapter Twenty-four!

Next Chapter is also the last one, so I'll tell you where we're at for the next book. Aeon Legion has one vote, and RWBY After the Fall has two.
    Last edited by The Fury; Yesterday at 05:03 PM.
    Iop brain.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, let's do this thing.
    Spoiler: Chapter 21
    Show
    Seriously, is there just a slow-burning pile of Tabaco not-unlike the "tire-fire" at the Springfield tire yard? You'd think eventually a mostly abandoned section of town would stop smelling like Tobacco eventually, especially since we only get that description outside.

Kestral's good at this. t's never a good sign when the bad guy's good at this.

Rei? He can't kill her if his crotch is on fire. Fire is faster than swords. Nobody ever aims for the groin in these stories.

Also, this is the part where you act surprised that your friends followed you.

Verde, if those thoughts always plague your mind then you might want to see a Shrink but this is the worst possible time for self-doubt.

Oh... she gets off o pain... that's, uh... Something to keep an eye on, in case it becomes a problem.

stamina is drawn into a drawing.

the puppet is much creepy.

"I can be traumatized about killing someone later's" gotta be up there with the greatsof black comedy.

Verde, always double tap!

Evil cliffhanger is evil.

Teasing of the thing, also more hints that the Umbrella is a weapon.

It's honestly hard to take the Dad puppet seriously knoing what Ella is capable of.It's be suspenseful if I was blind but knowing that a little bit of day old blood will let her tear it apart just makes me think that it came to the wrong neighborhood.

It's a bad sign that Gamma didn't notice that he'd been shot.

And it seems that The Fury snipped me with chapter twerty-three, so I'll stop here for now.
    Spoiler: chapter 23
    Show
    well, this'll be fin to read.
    Last edited by Rater202; Yesterday at 05:20 PM.

Read my fanfiction here.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #249

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Aaah... It's true. Though it is kind of funny.

Spoiler: Chapter Twenty-three
    Show
    Our Chapter opens with Kestrel and Rei having their fight. It's a rough one, because Kestrel has his iron arm, with its clawed hand and jagged edges. He's even able to pull bits of it off to make weapons. Eventually, Kestrel gets the upper hand and he's got his ferromancy. He says that he won't kill Rei, but this will hurt. It's hard to say what's exactly happening because we only know what Rei is feeling, but I think Kestrel is using ferromancy to restrict Rei's bloodflow until she passes out. Rei has an idea though. As far as we can tell Kestrel's ferromancy mashes the iron particles in the blood into a discreet mass, however iron can be liquid if it's hot enough... Rei is a pyromancer so...

Yeah, Rei superheats her blood as a last-ditch effort to stay in the fight. And from what it seems, it's as painful as it sounds. It seems like she's actually able to produce hotter flames as well since she can melt whatever chunks of iron Kestrel throws her way. When Kestrel is able to grip on of Rei's hands, and Rei grips Kestrel's other hand... It does not go well for either of them. On of Kestrel's hands is a metal claw, and it is able to draw blood. Superheated, burning blood. Seriously, ow. Kestrel's other hand is not metal so... Yeah, given the amount of heat Rei is generating and how angry she is, his hand is instantly charbroiled. It's pretty clear that neither of them can keep this up. Kestrel uses his iron hand to send a spike through Rei's, which is enough to get her to let go. Yet Kestrel's iron arm has been damaged from the intense heat, including the hooks that hold it to the stump. Rei tears it right off, which gives her an opening to punch Kestrel right in his dumb face. Hard enough to break teeth. With fists that are on fire.

After winning the fight, Rei understandably wants to know what the what. Kestrel though... he's never been a very forthcoming guy and even when he does give answers they tend to not be very satisfying. Not much has changed then. He first says that Orochi wants Rei's power. Her fire. Only that's not good enough. Rei doesn't care why Orochi wants her, she wants to know why Kestrel agreed to it. Kestrel says that it was only a job. OK... still not a satisfying answer, and one that just makes Rei even more riled up. Still hurting from the realization that Kestrel is not and never was a friend.

Yet after all this, Rei can't bring herself to incinerate the creep. She remembers what happened to Chloe and all the pain it caused. All she can do is ineptly pummel the ground with her fire. Kestrel sees this as an opening and uses his ferromancy on his remaining, dead hand to make another spike bursting through the remains of his hand. Oh, Kestrel. You really should have quit while you were ahead. Kestrel is immediately consumed by an inferno. Most of him anyway. His remaining arm with the spike protruding from it survived. It got close enough to draw blood from Rei's neck.

As for Rei herself... She notes that the fire in her blood seems to have sealed her wounds and scorched her clothes. She can't feel anything in her right hand after it was pierced with Kestrel's iron spike. Also, now seems like a great time to pass out, so she does.

Aside from the fight with Kestrel, there's not much to comment on in this chapter. Rei still holds out hope that she might have meant something to Kestrel. Something other than a target. This speaks to Rei's better nature that despite everything, she still wanted to believe better of Kestrel. This gets unambiguously thrown back in her face though. The door is pretty firmly shut on Kestrel now. Don't worry, Rei. Some part of him will always be with you. I mean... some of him might be in your lungs now.

You want some Cursed World lore? Well, I'll give you Chapter Twenty-four!

Next Chapter is also the last one, so I'll tell you where we're at for the next book. Aeon Legion has one vote, and RWBY After the Fall has two.
    Spoiler: Chapter 23
    Show
    Hard to believe we've hit the end of the climax. It feels so soon! And the next chapter is the end!

Rei setting herself on fire to the point where her blood literally starts hurting her might not be as metal as what Verde did, but it is PRETTY rad.

This has been amazing fun. I'm glad everyone has liked my book, and the feedback I've gained from this is unbelievably good. Thank you all so much. I can't believe karma and also my own damn self has decided that next up I'll be buying a RWBY book.

Alright, let's do this thing.
    Show
    Seriously, is there just a slow-burning pile of Tabaco not-unlike the "tire-fire" at the Springfield tire yard? You'd think eventually a mostly abandoned section of town would stop smelling like Tobacco eventually, especially since we only get that description outside.

Kestral's good at this. t's never a good sign when the bad guy's good at this.

Rei? He can't kill her if his crotch is on fire. Fire is faster than swords. Nobody ever aims for the groin in these stories.

Also, this is the part where you act surprised that your friends followed you.

Verde, if those thoughts always plague your mind then you might want to see a Shrink but this is the worst possible time for self-doubt.

Oh... she gets off o pain... that's, uh... Something to keep an eye on, in case it becomes a problem.

stamina is drawn into a drawing.

the puppet is much creepy.

"I can be traumatized about killing someone later's" gotta be up there with the greatsof black comedy.

Verde, always double tap!

Evil cliffhanger is evil.

Teasing of the thing, also more hints that the Umbrella is a weapon.

It's honestly hard to take the Dad puppet seriously knoing what Ella is capable of.It's be suspenseful if I was blind but knowing that a little bit of day old blood will let her tear it apart just makes me think that it came to the wrong neighborhood.

It's a bad sign that Gamma didn't notice that he'd been shot.

And it seems that The Fury snipped me with chapter twerty-three, so I'll stop here for now.
    Spoiler: chapter 23
    Show
    well, this'll be fin to read.
    Show
    So, this is something that gets across better if you just like... have a place in town like Gold Row lke I do, but there are sections of town up here that are frequented enough that they are always in bad repair, always stink, and are always just super unpleasant to go down. The main road down Gold Row has that same unfortunate fate.

Verde has found a therapist and it is "extreme violence on this puppet". This might not be good for her. Also that dark joke is gonna probably come back some day and ooh boy that's gonna be fun.

I'd honestly never considered the idea of this scene coming off as less dramatic once you know what Ella is capable of. It completely tracks with what I have planned for her, so it'll be hilarious to see people react to what happens when/if Ella actually goes COMPLETELY off the chain, but... we'll see when we see it.