Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: The Fury's Book Club-- Reading Cursed World: Initial Sparks

Now my magic theory can be dropped in here

Spoiler: Theory on Magic Functionality
    Show
    The magic circle contains magic that flows into it and channels it through the contained pattern. However, if there are imperfections to the channeling, it breaks the spellform similar to how any edges on a sheet of metal in a microwave causes sparks/fire. So a perfect circle is necessary to contain all the forces.

It's yet to be seen if there is genuinely a specific symbol set to building these patterns, or if the patterns/notation is self developed.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Now my magic theory can be dropped in here

Spoiler: Theory on Magic Functionality
    Show
    The magic circle contains magic that flows into it and channels it through the contained pattern. However, if there are imperfections to the channeling, it breaks the spellform similar to how any edges on a sheet of metal in a microwave causes sparks/fire. So a perfect circle is necessary to contain all the forces.

It's yet to be seen if there is genuinely a specific symbol set to building these patterns, or if the patterns/notation is self developed.
    Spoiler: Magics!
    Show
    Or maybe it's kind of like an electrical circuit? Build a circuit correctly and it does something useful. Build it wrong and maybe you burn up a fuse or short something.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Colossus in the Playground

I was always going to dive more into how magic works in future books, but seeing how genuinely interested people are in the mechanics, I'll definitely take it to heart

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I was always going to dive more into how magic works in future books, but seeing how genuinely interested people are in the mechanics, I'll definitely take it to heart
    Considering that this forum is based around game system discussions, is it a surprise that the discussion here has a major focus on magic system discussions?

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

It's that time... Time for a new chapter!

Spoiler: Chapter Twelve
    Show
    While being a mancer is something of an inborn talent, actually using it and controlling it requires some practice. As Gamma is showing Rei how to move properly to manipulate her fire. Rei... isn't quite getting it. In fact she's not producing fire at all, not even a tiny spark. This is after four hours of trying. Understandably, she's exhausted from the effort and decides to take a break. Y'know, I once was told that spending longer than two hours trying to learn something complicated without taking a rest period actually makes learning go slower. I wonder if mancies are the same?

Rei is mildly frustrated that her fire only seems to come out when she doesn't want it to. Gamma, for his part seems a bit baffled why his instruction isn't working. Rei has her own fantasies about fighting and being a hero, not having the control to actually use her power is sort of putting her out.

For now though, Verde wonders if the government knows about the supernatural. Rei thinks that if they did, it would probably be more widely talked about. Ella disagrees, thinking that telling people that all myths that they know about are sort of, but not quite true would cause widespread confusion and panic. So that's a resounding... "I don't know."

ONY Manufacturing though? They might know. As is pointed out, they manufacture tech that's basically magic. Normally this is the kind of line that gets me to cringe. Technology works on understood laws and principles of the physical world and the application of those understandings. Though... I guess magic seems to work that way too, so this might not be as inaccurate of a statement as it might seem at first. The name ONY doesn't mean anything to Gamma though, so this is a good chance for Verde to explain what they're all about.

In a war from some time ago, ONY sold advanced weapons to the Felisian government, which allowed them to defeat the combined forces of Exova and Trestaria. Then Felis combined them, along with Kaiga and Dulace into one nation-state. ONY was named a "personification of the Felisian state in the newly formed nation's constitution." This has given ONY vast power and reach in present day. They even have their own standing army, ONY Security Force... This is getting a little dark. Especially when you consider that they have a total monopoly on all manufactured goods and who knows what else. Rei leaves with Verde. Ella needs to head off to the library on her own, she has a book that she needs to pick up.

Rei tells Verde about seeing Kestrel at Smile's Subs. She mentions that she told Kestrel about how she and Verde met. To which Verde responds good-naturedly. Verde explains that she already explained to Gamma what school is, so he knows not to expect them to stop by during class hours. Though Rei says that she shouldn't talk about Gamma so loudly, which allows Verde to offer this gem of a description for Gamma: "...a shirtless, blood-covered, emo-hair weirdo with shadow powers."
    Y'know... maybe they should bring him to the mall. I bet he might like a trip to Hot Topic.

Unfortunately, this lighthearted note isn't where the evening ends, Rei comes home to see Aria watching the news, the report is rather grim. In Gold Row, that is where Rei and her friends regularly go to see Gamma, a police officer named Emmanual Grant was fatally stabbed. Rei is understandably worried about Gamma, especially since we already know that someone is after him. She's also worried about Aria, who seems uncharacteristically stone-faced and grim. When Rei asks her if she's alright though, Aria snaps back to her usual warm, loving personality. She gets up and hugs her daughter. Rei quietly recalls Red Crystal, and starts to feel more pressure to master her powers since the world seems so much scarier and dangerous than it did a week ago. Because of the implication that Red Crystal was not the only one of its kind, I'd be inclined to agree. it might even be that a similar puppet was what killed Officer Grant.

At least Rei can switch the subject to a more comfortable discussion. That of her romantic life. Talking about it with her mom. Sarcasm aside, as parents go, Aria's actually pretty cool. Not to say that Rei's not embarrassed, because she is a little. Thankfully it's not screaming into a pillow levels of embarrassment. Rei's got a date with Kestrel, which gets Aria's face to light up and she can't wait to hear about Rei's new boyfriend. It's more than a little premature, but... parents, am I right? Rei takes this chance to turn things around and find out a little more about her dad. When did Aria know that she was in love with Samson?

Eighteen years ago, the law firm they both worked at in Center City had something of an office celebration at a bar. She saw an office assistant challenge him to a game of darts. Samson was a little tipsy, but won ninja Robin Hood style-- four darts between his fingers, four bullseyes. Though it wasn't quite the skill that drew her to him, it was more fire and determination he had in the moment. Having been told all that, it's time for Aria and Rei to have their horror movie night!

Back at her house, Verde is unwinding for the day. Her toolbox, her barely mended space heater and partially finished model kits show that she's the sort of person that needs to keep trying new things to find what she's good at. Verde is carrying around some feelings of inadequacy, in her own mind she's never quite skilled enough, smart enough, or good enough. I feel ya, sister. In Verde's mind, Rei seems more able to coast on talent than she is, and there's some jealousy there. Verde's thoughts are interrupted when there's a knock at the window. Who is it? Why, it's Ella! As it turns out, she has something for Verde-- It's a leatherbound book written in Exovan. Ella found it in the library, see, and it might be magic. Y'know... I really like going to the library and sometimes I find something really good. Magic tomes though? Maybe our local libraries aren't as good as I thought. I guess Ella might know slightly better if the book is magic. Exovan is her native language after all, and Verde kind of understands a little since she tried teaching herself the language.

Flipping to the cover page which has what appears to be a magic circle with an activation word-- "Windzauber," the book glows and generates a soft breeze. Yup. That's a magic tome alright. Verde naturally wonders how Ella found something like this. In fairness, I'm not sure where magic tomes are catalogued in the Dewy Decimal System either. In any case, Verde wants to learn magic and Ella wants to help her learn.

As Gamma has said, and Ella chooses to paraphrase, by poking Verde in the chest and saying "Mancies come from here. You feel it, like a part of your body," then poking her in the forehead, "and magic comes from here. Conceptually, anyway. You think about a cool breeze, about its ebb and flow, how cold it is and how it feels on your skin, and you think about it down to its every like... concept. And what you think up, that mental image, is a pattern. You draw it as a magic circle, and that's the spell."
    All Verde has to say about that is, "Don't poke me."

Verde has quietly felt like a failure for a while now, but having this chance to learn how to be a magic user, maybe she can do something good.

Final thoughts on this chapter-- So far, details about Rei's late father have been sparse. Rei herself doesn't know much about the guy. Evidently Aria met him eighteen years ago, Rei is seventeen and has a birthday coming up. It's not difficult math to figure out that Rei never got the chance to know him. Aria doesn't talk about him much either, despite remembering him rather fondly, keeping her wedding photo of him and such. This makes it seem like Samson met a sudden and tragic end that's difficult to discuss. What that was though is likely a story for another time.

Next is Chapter Thirteen, if you know what I mean!

6. - Top - End - #96

Spoiler: Chapter 12
    Show
    Fun fact; the way I describe ONY's place in the government is a very Canadian thing. Translating it to real world terms, you can see ONY Manufacturing as some sort of corporate royalty.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Show
    Fun fact; the way I describe ONY's place in the government is a very Canadian thing. Translating it to real world terms, you can see ONY Manufacturing as some sort of corporate royalty.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly, the other fun thing about this book is all the apparently really Canadian details throughout it that I just accept. I am not saying that I Canadians struggle to see themselves in media that is dominated by America, but I get so excited to see Canadian details in media that I read.

Really, this means I need to start spending more money on Canadian authors (which is very much the plan), but I have limited funds/brain energy for reading to put out there at the moment.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a new day and time for a new Cursed World chapter! Let's dig in!

Spoiler: Chapter Thirteen
    Show
    I feel like before I really get into this chapter, I should get a sort of content warning out of the way. Remember what I said about the fist fight the Rei had with the random street toughs? The one where Kestrel came to her rescue wielding a metal pipe? To recap, it's an indicator of how violence is depicted in this book. It's depicted as hideous. As a horrible thing to happen to someone. That in mind, we'll be seeing a little bit of that today. Cool? Cool.

Our chapter opens with Rei at school, feeling pretty good. She even got through the horror movie she watched with her mother last night without having to look away. Speaking of, is anyone else quietly speculating what these movies are about? The only thing that's 100% confirmed in text is that there are hooks involved. Anyway, today Rei has decided that she'll make up with Chloe, the only trouble is whether or not Chloe will be receptive of the idea. In fairness, what we've seen previously suggests that both Rei and Chloe would both like to patch things up and be friends again. At the very least, even though the reasons for it are vague neither seems happy that their falling out happened. Unfortunately Chloe seems to be making herself scarce.

Verde seems a bit worn out. Maybe from practicing magic with Ella. It is powered by stamina after all. Rei seems to be worried about her friend, but doesn't say anything. Rei justifies this to herself that Verde is much stronger than she is. Kind of ironic, since Verde seems to think that Rei is more capable than her. Ella shows up with an enormous tray of food, brimming over with joy that the cafeteria changes its menu every week. After a while, Verde suggests that Chloe could be at her locker. Rei sets off to try to find her, maybe things will go well and she can bring Chloe back to their table for lunch.

As Rei walks to Chloe's locker, her head is buzzing with various thoughts about not really knowing how to feel about Chloe. She's at her locker though. Sort of spaced out and trying to get the lock to open. Even though Rei wants to make up with Chloe it seems like she doesn't really know how. When Rei asks, "Can we be friends again?" the thing that Chloe seems to focus on is the "again." That is the implication that they are not friends. For Chloe's part she seems actually, genuinely hurt by this.
    A more objective lens seems to suggest that Rei is more correct here. That Chloe is kind of stuck up and condescending and treats Rei like she's somehow beneath her. Friends don't and shouldn't treat one another this way. Chloe though... she really wants to believe that Rei is her friend and so has ways of justifying this behavior to herself. After all, this is how her other friends treat her. Rei ends up losing her temper though, and rips into Chloe's excuses. That's when any attempt to make up jumps the rails.

Chloe's friends, the ones that she hangs out with, the ones that have demonstrated to think they're too good for her in the previous groupchat, are awful friends that don't even like her. Rei even points this out. Chloe tried to put the same on Rei, referring to Verde and Ella as "that rat in the sweater," and "that pasty-faced weirdo" respectively, and saying that they're just as bad of friends to her. Rei doesn't buy this, of course, but loses her temper even more. Even grabbing Chloe by the shirt and hoping that she'd burst into flames. Kind of an alarming thought considering Rei is a pyromancer. Chloe responds by hitting her.

Now, this doesn't quite get to be a full on fist fight. Chloe immediately regrets what she's done. The front that Chloe puts up, her excuses, her mean girl persona all crashes down in this moment. Now she's just scared, emotionally distraught. In that moment, she actually believes every unkind thought Rei ever had for her. This is when she decides that she needs a smoke. Pro tip-- smoking in the hallways of a high school rarely goes well.

With trembling hands, Chloe takes out her cigarettes and her lighter. Rei notices something though. Chloe's cheap plastic lighter seems to be damaged by her pyromancy. Now, as demonstrated earlier, pyromancy can make fire behave in ways that it doesn't normally. Such as getting a plastic Bic lighter to behave like... a firebomb.

Spoiler: CW: descriptions of graphic violence
    Show
    Chloe's lighter explodes, lighting her on fire. Well, Rei... You wanted to see Chloe lit on fire. Here it is. Take it in. Rei does do her best to get the fire out, tearing off Chloe's burning jacket as the flames spread up her entire right side. Rei can't get it under control as the fire burns off Chloe's skin and hair. It's only the emergency sprinklers that get things under control. Chloe survives, but she gets horrible burns up her right arm and the right side of her face. Rei isn't even sure if Chloe still has her right eye. Chloe had been screaming the entire time, but now all she can do is cry. It's all Rei can do as well.

In the aftermath of Chloe getting covered in third degree burns, the only plausible explanation Rei can give the EMTs is that Chloe tried to light up a smoke, then this happened. Chloe is taken away in an ambulance and school is let out early. Rei can't even speak when she leaves with Verde and Ella.

Have you ever had those moments where you find yourself so distraught that you find yourself in a place that you know, intellectually, that you walked to but don't remember how you got there? Rei had one of those moments as she finds herself in Smile's Subs with Verde and Rei. It's Ella that breaks the silence, asking if Rei is alright. Rei is not alright and doesn't pretend to be. In fact, she blames herself for what happened to Chloe. It's not certain how much of it was her fault, but Rei recalls the moment the lighter exploded. She knew it would happen, she didn't do anything. In fact part of her wanted it to happen. Now she's just stuck with overwhelming feelings of guilt, as well as the knowledge that she needs to get her powers under control to make sure that this never happens again. Rei has Verde call Aria, to say that Rei is hanging out with Verde. In reality, Rei's going to train with Gamma.

Training doesn't go much better than it has. Rei still can't will her fire to come out after three hours of practice. Rei wisely chooses to take a break. Rei, Verde and Ella discuss the stabbing of Officer Grant. Surely it wasn't Gamma that did it, right? ...Right? He didn't, but he's got an idea of who did. It was not a regular stabbing. Gamma had heard the sirens and investigated. He saw the body and noted an eight-inch long red spike sticking out of the guy. Gamma had seen something like that before, it was the work of a ferromancer. That is, a mancer that can control iron and iron-based alloys like steel. This guy can also control the iron in someone's blood, so there's an unnerving thought for the day. This is how Officer Grant met his end. Evidently this ferromancer is the one that's after Gamma. He only wants to capture him, which is the main reason why Gamma is still alive. Our chapter ends with Rei acknowledging that this is just one more reason to get her powers under control. Don't hurt anyone with meaning to, fight the scary ferromancer. (More like scare-o-mancer, am I right? Eh? Eh? ...Oh.)

Closing thought for this chapter-- This one was a doozy. Regardless of how you feel about Chloe, she pretty plainly did not deserve what happened to her. This is actually something that elevates Initial Sparks over similar stories I've read over the years. Rei had a moment where her emotions got the better of her and she did something that she deeply regrets. I've read similar supernatural YA adventure stories that would try to justify their protagonist's actions if they did something similar. Some go the route of making the protagonist's victim seem more heinous, in order to make what happened to them seem deserved. Others go the route of explaining why this wasn't a mistake and our protagonist really was in control. Not so here. Rei just made a horrible mistake and it hurt someone. The only upside is that she's dedicated to making sure that it never happens again.

Up until now, we could only speculate about what was after Gamma. Now we know that it's a mancer of a previously unmentioned type. One that has a fairly ordinary seeming power, just exploited in a creatively gruesome way. Whoever he is, he's also well-supported since he's got those Red Crystal puppets to help him out. For now, we'll come back to it in a later chapter.

Join us next time for Chapter Fourteen, jellybean.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Chapter 13:
    Show

Ah yes this one.

This with the fire hurting Chloe? thats good storytelling right there. and further shows what kind of world this is: magic is dangerous. violence is dangerous. Rei screwing up like this is the kind of thing that might happen with someone with little control over their power that seems to function partly on emotion gets angry with someone. the results can be horrific. the person who did can feel massive guilt for doing so. and hammers in that one must be responsible with their powers than any words could.

it feels much similar to Aang burning Katara in early episode of Avatar, it sets the tone of just how dangerous fire can be and the consequences of playing with it.

and of course the first mention of the Ferromancer and how they control iron. which metaphysically contrasts with shadowmancy, and the ferromancy is more scientific/chemical in application shadows is more metaphysical, which speaks of the range in what kinds of things a mancy can be: its not just straight elements, nor is it straight scientific stuff, nor is can it not be something chemical like iron. there is a lot of things a mancy can be, they are quirks and mutations like that. and of course the dead policeman sets up that this ferromancer does not care about life like Rei does.

while Chloe....yeah she kind of made her own mistakes and got unfairly screwed over for it. this is where she gets real sympathetic.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

10. - Top - End - #100

Spoiler: chapter 13
    Show
    Poor Chloe... well, if there's an upside here "trying to light a cigarette gave me third-degree burns" is one hell of a motivator to quit smoking and...

Oh. Zodi, is this what you were talking about when you said there were a variety of reasons that Chloe shouldn't be smoking?

So, a Ferormancer killed the cop with a red crystal that may or may not have been made from the Cop's own blood.

The Ferromancer is after Gamma.

We are introduced to Gamma via a fight with a skeleton that is covered in red crystals.

That... That was less of a "monster" and more of a "puppet," wasn't it? Or does Feromancy include this world's version of Necromancy?

As for the Horror Movies? Until told otherwise I am going to assume that they're old-school Slasher Flicks based on the "Hook Hand Killer" urban legend.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2020-07-07 at 04:32 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #101

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Show

Ah yes this one.

This with the fire hurting Chloe? thats good storytelling right there. and further shows what kind of world this is: magic is dangerous. violence is dangerous. Rei screwing up like this is the kind of thing that might happen with someone with little control over their power that seems to function partly on emotion gets angry with someone. the results can be horrific. the person who did can feel massive guilt for doing so. and hammers in that one must be responsible with their powers than any words could.

it feels much similar to Aang burning Katara in early episode of Avatar, it sets the tone of just how dangerous fire can be and the consequences of playing with it.

and of course the first mention of the Ferromancer and how they control iron. which metaphysically contrasts with shadowmancy, and the ferromancy is more scientific/chemical in application shadows is more metaphysical, which speaks of the range in what kinds of things a mancy can be: its not just straight elements, nor is it straight scientific stuff, nor is can it not be something chemical like iron. there is a lot of things a mancy can be, they are quirks and mutations like that. and of course the dead policeman sets up that this ferromancer does not care about life like Rei does.

while Chloe....yeah she kind of made her own mistakes and got unfairly screwed over for it. this is where she gets real sympathetic.
    Spoiler: Chapter 13
    Show
    Avatar definitely inspired some of this, I think. My editor mentioned that characters with fire powers as the main lead tend to be pretty rare, and I think it is this exact point that causes it; fire is genuinely destructive in a way that most protagonists might not be. Not everyone is going to be Fire Punch, the hero that kills everyone with a single touch.

The contrast of the Ferromancer's iron with Gamma's shadow is definitely an intentional one. Playing around a liiittle bit with darkness and light, hehe.

Question; any thoughts on chapter 12, since everyone but Fury seems to have taken that day off? Not that that's a concern or anything I'm just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Show
    Poor Chloe... well, if there's an upside here "trying to light a cigarette gave me third-degree burns" is one hell of a motivator to quit smoking and...

Oh. Zodi, is this what you were talking about when you said there were a variety of reasons that Chloe shouldn't be smoking?

So, a Ferormancer killed the cop with a red crystal that may or may not have been made from the Cop's own blood.

We are introduced to Gamma via a fight with a skeleton that is covered in red crystals.

That... That was less of a "monster" and more of a "puppet," wasn't it? Or does Feromancy include this world's version of Necromancy?

As for the Horror Movies? Until told otherwise I am going to assume that they're old-school Slasher Flicks based on the "Hook Hand Killer" urban legend.
    Show

I'll admit, I did bring up the "Chloe shouldn't be smoking" comment with this in mind, but also just the general fact that it's unhealthy and she wants to be a professional singer.

To clarify things a bit, since it gets across clearer in the text; Red Crystal, aka the puppet that Rei encountered in the dance club, is all crystal. It's a skeleton, but MADE of crystal, like it was sculpted. A good... if not 100% correct reference point would be Trace from Metroid Prime Hunters. Also, I'll say this here since it's not something that'll likely ever really be get-across-able in text due to just the context of everything; puppet is the term I use where most properties would use golem. Since golem has some baggage I don't want associated with these things that are primarily used by the bad guy.

It is either the Hook Hand Killer or some sort of evil fisherman. Take your pick!

also with regards to the... darker subject matter of this chapter in particular:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'd like to extend a very good thanks to Fury for handling it excellently. This is a pretty dark chapter and it gets pretty hard to read at times, for the good reasons, and I'm glad it seems like everyone is reacting well to it.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-07-07 at 04:48 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Question; any thoughts on chapter 12, since everyone but Fury seems to have taken that day off? Not that that's a concern or anything I'm just curious.
    sorry, I was doing other things yesterday.

Show

Ah yes, I thought ONY was an intentionally oppressive thing with how powerful it is, I'm american so any mega-corporation = cyberpunk evil to me, I'm surprised its apparently just a canadian thing. also, if ONY has monopoly on all goods, then the only logical place for Gamma to come from is ONY.

also, Rei's father is THAT accurate with darts? while drunk? that can't be pure luck, he either has some kind fortumancy or some kind of mancy to manipulate the materials the darts are made out of to do that.

I'm not sure how much I can comment on Verde and her wind magic since I don't know how much of her magic works counts as a spoiler.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    A good... if not 100% correct reference point would be Trace from Metroid Prime Hunters.
    Spoiler: Major Tangent
    Show
    Huh, well then. I've never ever heard anyone else ever reference that game before.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2020-07-07 at 05:14 PM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

14. - Top - End - #104

sorry, I was doing other things yesterday.

Show

Ah yes, I thought ONY was an intentionally oppressive thing with how powerful it is, I'm american so any mega-corporation = cyberpunk evil to me, I'm surprised its apparently just a canadian thing. also, if ONY has monopoly on all goods, then the only logical place for Gamma to come from is ONY.

also, Rei's father is THAT accurate with darts? while drunk? that can't be pure luck, he either has some kind fortumancy or some kind of mancy to manipulate the materials the darts are made out of to do that.

I'm not sure how much I can comment on Verde and her wind magic since I don't know how much of her magic works counts as a spoiler.
    Totally fair, sorry for buggin'

Show
    I'll be honest I've seen dart players who can shoot near that good drunk. He might just be skilled.

To clarify a point; ONY is to the country of Felis as the Royal Family is to Canada. Our constitutional code refers to the reigning monarchy as "the living embodiment of the Canadian state" much like ONY is called such for Felis.

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Spoiler: Major Tangent
    Show
    Huh, well then. I've never ever heard anyone else ever reference that game before.
    Look I've got some DEEP cuts on occasion DataNinja

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

Ah yes this one.

Show
    For me, Chloe seemed sympathetic much earlier. It seemed to me that neither Chloe, nor Rei was happy about how their relationship ended. In Chloe's case she even liked to believe that Rei was still her friend, just one that had grown more distant. In this moment though, as Chloe had her emotional breakdown, I feel like it could have been a real turning point for her. She sees her mistakes and how they had affected Rei, and realizes that she really did lose a friend. In a happier world, Chloe and Rei might have hugged it out and gone back to have lunch together. Really, it didn't seem impossible, even now. Unfortunately, Rei is a pyromancer that doesn't have great control of her powers. So... this happens.

I still appreciate that the text makes it clear that Rei made a straight up mistake. It's not even a mistake that Rei's OK with. No matter what Chloe did, she didn't deserve this.

Show

Show
    I think that the text does imply that the cop was killed with a spike made from his own blood. As for what I've been calling Red Crystal and the text calls a "puppet" it's a red crystalline skeleton. I don't think it's made of blood if that's what you're asking. Mainly one of the more disturbing things about it is how it reacts to blood-- it uses it to grow flesh on its bare bones, makes me think that it's probably made out of something else.

Show
    Avatar definitely inspired some of this, I think. My editor mentioned that characters with fire powers as the main lead tend to be pretty rare, and I think it is this exact point that causes it; fire is genuinely destructive in a way that most protagonists might not be. Not everyone is going to be Fire Punch, the hero that kills everyone with a single touch.

The contrast of the Ferromancer's iron with Gamma's shadow is definitely an intentional one. Playing around a liiittle bit with darkness and light, hehe.

Show

I'll admit, I did bring up the "Chloe shouldn't be smoking" comment with this in mind, but also just the general fact that it's unhealthy and she wants to be a professional singer.

To clarify things a bit, since it gets across clearer in the text; Red Crystal, aka the puppet that Rei encountered in the dance club, is all crystal. It's a skeleton, but MADE of crystal, like it was sculpted. A good... if not 100% correct reference point would be Trace from Metroid Prime Hunters. Also, I'll say this here since it's not something that'll likely ever really be get-across-able in text due to just the context of everything; puppet is the term I use where most properties would use golem. Since golem has some baggage I don't want associated with these things that are primarily used by the bad guy.

It is either the Hook Hand Killer or some sort of evil fisherman. Take your pick!

also with regards to the... darker subject matter of this chapter in particular:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'd like to extend a very good thanks to Fury for handling it excellently. This is a pretty dark chapter and it gets pretty hard to read at times, for the good reasons, and I'm glad it seems like everyone is reacting well to it.
    Show
    I kind of like the idea of an evil fisherman. Especially if the movie is set in a foreboding, spooky village by the sea. Maybe one of those coastal areas with a lot of rocks and mist? Yeah.

Spoiler: darker story content
    Show
    I'm glad that you think that I handled the darker subject matter well. I sometimes worry that when I say something in this book is "hard to read," it'll be misinterpreted. It's not that it's difficult to comprehend, far from it. Sometimes the descriptions of violence get pretty graphic though. But it's worth noting that I think that graphically described violence serves a purpose in the story, so it's not gratuitous and is actually there for a reason. In other words, it's hard to read, but for the right reasons.
    Last edited by The Fury; 2020-07-07 at 08:05 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Show
    I will say that the descriptions at every point in the book are all good. You can picture them clearly, and it puts you in the emotional place of the scene very well.

On the subject of Chloe's likeability. I guess that's me as an adult speaking, but she is a child. Of course I feel sorry for her, even if didn't make good choices! Same as with Rei. It's not that they are not responsible for their choices, but at that age you have some many other things pulling at you, you really need support to lean on to get you through the worst of it. And since Chloe is able to get her hands on cigarettes, I can imagine that her friend circle such as it is is her strongest support network.

I haven't done much commenting on some of the scenes because my observations in some chapters more come from the perspective as a beta reader which isn't appropriate for this thread. Everything else is just "THIS IS SO SHINY AND GOOD EVEN AFTER 4 REREADS!" (I read through the book again for this thread). So not very intelligible or productive.

17. - Top - End - #107

Show
    I don't know, if the skeleton made of red crystals that was implicitly made by a person who implicitly makes red crystals out of blood absorbs bloodto grow flesh...

I'd argue that that makes it more likely tha it's made of blood, not less.

Which raised the question: Who did the feromancer kill to get enough blood to make a skeleton's worth out of it?

Were there any mentions of disappearance earlier in the story?

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    I don't know, if the skeleton made of red crystals that was implicitly made by a person who implicitly makes red crystals out of blood absorbs bloodto grow flesh...

Which raised the question: Who did the feromancer kill to get enough blood to make a skeleton's worth out of it?

Show
    There weren't any mentions of disappearances, no. My thinking with regards to what the Red Crystal puppets are made of is that they seem to be made of some kind of crystal which reacts to blood, not blood itself.

Another thing that's not clear is whether or not the blood spike that killed the cop behaves like the crystal that the puppets are made of. The crystalline bones that make up the puppets are stated to dissolve after a while. I don't know if the blood spike would do that too-- it's not mentioned in the official news report though so it might.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Show

Show
    The implication I have always had from the scene is that the ferromancer used the hemoglobin of the blood to create a spike, pulling the blood-iron out of the body as a spike.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Brand new day, brand new chapter. Let's go! Actually, not really. I'm getting this one up kind of late. So it's actually a crusty old day. At least we get a brand new chapter, right?

Spoiler: Chapter Fourteen
    Show
    Chapter Fourteen is largely a flashback that delves into Gamma's backstory, and a lot about him can be confirmed. But I'll come back to that.

Gamma is just chillin' in a tube full of goo. As you do when you're a science experiment. He has disturbing dreams while in the tube, dreams about shadow. Formless pitch darkness swirling around him, oddly corporeal shadows.

Anyway, keeping Gamma in this goo-- artificial amniotic fluid, evidently keeps Gamma alive and strong. Not strong enough to bust through the shackles that are binding him. Apparently Gamma has been wanting to escape for some time now and he's made attempts before. Mainly though, he's shackled for the safety of his handlers. It's suggested that this tube full of goo helps Gamma recover from tests, which are physically demanding. Not only that, they're getting more frequent.

Speaking of tests, it's about time to start one. It's time to meet our friendly neighborhood scientists, Dr. Ingram, the facility lead. Dr. Ingram's sporting a white leather jacket with a cool red pip. From his baldness, I gather he must be the human form of the beetle demon Gamma showed the girls in an earlier chapter. Especially since the next person we meet is pretty clearly the dog woman Gamma showed in the same chapter. Dog woman is named Dr. Carter, someone with a kind, playful face and an upbeat demeanor. She also designed Gamma's tests, so it's no surprise that he remembers her so clearly, and not all that fondly.

The reason for the more frequent tests is made clear, The Lord, (whoever he is,) says they're coming up on a deadline with their Projects. The capitalization is not an accident by the way, it's written that way in the text deliberately. See, one of those Projects is Gamma. Meaning that there are likely others like Gamma, being experimented on by... I assume ONY. Given that the facility seems pretty advanced, likely secret and patrolled by heavily armed guards, it seems probable. After all, Rei did read about ONY having secret think tanks and research facilities. Pretty much everything else that she read on that seemingly dubious website turned out to be pretty accurate so far.

The way Dr. Ingram and Dr. Carter talk about Gamma is very dehumanizing. They don't seem to regard that Gamma is a person, because in their mind... he isn't one. Even his name is dehumanizing. Project Gamma. It's just part of a sequence. Anyway it's time to get on with the test. What are these scientists trying to do? Evidently they want to awaken Gamma's powers, (this is apparently before he had his shadowmancy.) How do they do that? Well, as Gamma mentioned earlier when Rei's pyromancy got awakened... heightened emotion and stress. In this case, they're having Gamma fight "riot suppression puppets." Presumably something like Red Crystal, but designed for... well, riot suppression. This time they even got an advanced model provided by their benefactor! Oh boy! That means they can test out the new model's effectiveness and maybe awaken Gamma's powers! That's a win-win. There's a side mention of something called a "mnemonic puppet" as well, apparently that program concluded. Whether that means they failed at the prototype stage of they're done with testing them is not certain.

Anyway, our riot suppression puppet comes on in and is all set to beat the daylights out of Gamma. It looks mostly how you might expect it to look. It's an armored-up humanoid with a baton. The one thing about it that seems odd is that it's wearing a gas mask. Does that mean that it needs to breathe? That's a question for another time, because riot suppression puppet lays the smackdown on Gamma. Almost like a skinny emo kid doesn't fare amazingly against an magic armored combat robot. I had my suspicions, but it's important to be scientific about these things. Dr. Ingram isn't having it though and in his exasperated way, demands the Gamma fight back. Around this time, our friendly scientists get a call on speaker phone from Lord Orochi. Oh boy! he sounds important. Minor aside, Orochi is named after the eight-headed, eight-tailed serpent from Japanese myth... would "ONY" be a shoutout to Japanese myth too? ONY--oni. Yeah?

Anyway, luckily for Gamma this means that riot suppression puppet takes a break from pounding him into the dirt. Our friendly scientists need to talk with Lord Orochi and he's getting impatient. They're making progress with Gamma, but not enough. Projects Delta and Alpha are already growing their powers and project Beta's powers have matured. Orochi leaves the research team to their work. The friendly scientists have until tomorrow night to produce tangible results. By any means necessary. If it seems like Orochi is threatening the friendly scientists, that's because he is. He's apparently made good on a threat against a research team before, since it seems Project Epsilon did not go well. So now it's awaken Gamma's powers or die trying. Dr. Carter has just the thing for it too-- she'll disable the puppet's safety mechanism. This causes the puppet's armor to heat up and the casing of its baton to pop off to reveal a sword blade.

This does awaken something in Gamma. An intense rage and hatred towards Lord Orochi. Orochi did just decide that unless Gamma's powers awaken, he's useless. He does apparently also have one of those smug sounding voices that you just want to punch in the face, so that helps. Gamma wants to live, but more out of spite now than anything else. All this is enough for Gamma to awaken his shadowmancy and tear riot suppression puppet to bits. The friendly scientists cheer! Success! They did it! More than that, they're saved!

Or are they?

The kid they've been tormenting for who knows how long has now developed the ability to manipulate shadows and use them to rend things apart. It's not exactly a surprise that this kid might not have any love for this research team. Especially now that he can see what the range of his powers are... Can Gamma reach the inside of the monitoring room with his powers? I don't know. Ask the dismembered friendly scientists on the inside.

Gamma was able to escape afterward, only able to get away from the ferromancer because he wanted to capture Gamma alive. Yet, he hadn't felt truly free until he found friends in Rei, Verde and Ella, but especially Rei. Not that he'd ever say as much. In fact, this whole chapter seems to be a lot of things that Gamma refuses to tell Rei.

As we come back to present day, Rei asks, "So... you going to tell us what happened to you?"

to which Gamma replies, "No, absolutely not."

As for our closing thoughts, Gamma really had never seen the outside of a lab or even even eaten food before, at least not as far as he can remember. He's never even had a name before-- what has been functioning as a name was just an indicator of his place in a sequence, about as personal as a serial number. This is just one way that the research team dehumanized him as they ran tests on him. Why bother with the dehumanizing? It probably made their more cruel actions seem more acceptable. After all, if you're hurting a thing and not a person, it can be a lot easier to live with yourself.

Some questions remain about Gamma though. What does ONY want with mancers? They've managed to get Alpha, Beta and Delta to develop powers, and they already have the ferromancer on their payroll. For that matter, are Projects Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Delta lab-grown artificial people or are they just people that their research teams tinkered with until they developed mancer powers? All that's really known about them is that they never knew life outside the labs and they've never had names. While the former being true handily explains that, the latter could also be true if the ONY brought them into the labs when they were too young to remember anything. I guess whichever answer you like depends on how tragic do you want Gamma to be.

Next time we lean into Chapter Fifteen!

21. - Top - End - #111

Aah, chapter 14.

Spoiler: Chapter 14
    Show
    The intent with the riot suppression puppet, is that it looks like a riot cop, but all stark white and metal in places. An unsettling, far too human appearance if you're an enemy, but a seemingly friend sight if you're on its side.

The ending "joke" of chapter 13 ending with an obvious set up for Gamma telling his backstory, and chapter 14 ending with Gamma going "yeah no this is too ****ed up for these kids" is one of the favorite little moments in the book of one of the beta readers. It's a tiny thing, but a thing that I think is kinda funny too, honestly.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Chapter 14:
    Show

Bloodlines and magic based on symbols? a shadow wielder? Lord Orochimaru? I can see the Naruto inspiration in this. I'm sorry but thats the first thing my mind jumped to when I read Lord Orochi. I know he is also inspired by japanese mythology, but seriously Lord Orochi AND conducting creepy science experiments on kids? made me think of the anime character.

Gamma to be clear:
    Spoiler: Warning, Dark
    Show
    was intentionally not fighting that puppet, he was intending to die to release himself from his suffering.

So Orochi just screwed himself over by giving himself an enemy there.

Now I have to come up with a mancersona. I'm thinking an Electromancer. Her name will be Sigma, she like totally escaped from ONY in the most edgily awesome manner, and she will totally be super pretty and more awesome than everyone and like get a harem of other girls but don't worry she totally isn't like a mary sue or anything, don't hate.

Given how there are three other experiments who were more successful, I think Rei is going to find out eventually anyways, Gamma.

23. - Top - End - #113

Show
    I'd like to see the credentials of these scientists.

Unless there's a reason that it had to be violence, attempting to forcibly awaken someone's powers with extreme stress or emotion, it's likely that they'd start by regularly giving him strong stimulants. Excessive consumption of stimulants tends to cause anxiety, paranoia, and a constant sense of dread while also being decently hard on the body.

Proper scientists would do so and monitor his vitals, stressing him out slowly over time while making sure that they don't accidentally kill him. Mix the stimulant with a narcotic and you can get him addicted and use it to control him,.

"Mad Quacks with no respect for proper science working for the megacorp" is a common Trope, but with regular beatings runs the risk of killing the test subject and that's time and money wasted--Evil for the sake of Evil rather than "we have a goal and no sense of morals so we're doing it this way."

Also, Fury? I hate to be a pendant like this but technically "Orochi" simply means "Great Serpent." Basically, any big snake. The eight-headed and eight tailed snakes (or sometimes a dragon) is specifically "Yamata-no-Orochi," the "Eight-Branched Great Serpent." Orochimaru of "The Tale of the Gallant Jiraiya" had absolutely nothing to do with the Orochi, he was just a guy with snake magic. (Kishimoto named his characters in reference to that story.)

It doesn't change the intended reference... Unless it does. I don't know how deep the cuts Zodi's trying to make go.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #114

Show

Unless there's a reason that it had to be violence, attempting to forcibly awaken someone's powers with extreme stress or emotion, it's likely that they'd start by regularly giving him strong stimulants. Excessive consumption of stimulants tends to cause anxiety, paranoia, and a constant sense of dread while also being decently hard on the body.

Proper scientists would do so and monitor his vitals, stressing him out slowly over time while making sure that they don't accidentally kill him. Mix the stimulant with a narcotic and you can get him addicted and use it to control him,.

"Mad Quacks with no respect for proper science working for the megacorp" is a common Trope, but with regular beatings runs the risk of killing the test subject and that's time and money wasted--Evil for the sake of Evil rather than "we have a goal and no sense of morals so we're doing it this way."

Also, Fury? I hate to be a pendant like this but technically "Orochi" simply means "Great Serpent." Basically, any big snake. The eight-headed and eight tailed snakes (or sometimes a dragon) is specifically "Yamata-no-Orochi," the "Eight-Branched Great Serpent." Orochimaru of "The Tale of the Gallant Jiraiya" had absolutely nothing to do with the Orochi, he was just a guy with snake magic. (Kishimoto named his characters in reference to that story.)

It doesn't change the intended reference... Unless it does. I don't know how deep the cuts Zodi's trying to make go.
    Show

If it helps any, they likely did try those things at first. Gamma's been through a lot, it's possibly his memory isn't 100% there. I do get that it 100% looks like evil for the sake of evil, but if more mundane methods would have worked they likely wouldn't have gotten to this level of abuse. It is gotten across in the text that the scientists were actually rather cautious with the "lets beat the power out of him" method, at the very least.

Textually, it's easier to see who Orochi is a reference to specifically, but it's a subtle thing potentially so I won't bring it up myself.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-07-08 at 11:55 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Aah, chapter 14.

Show
    The intent with the riot suppression puppet, is that it looks like a riot cop, but all stark white and metal in places. An unsettling, far too human appearance if you're an enemy, but a seemingly friend sight if you're on its side.

The ending "joke" of chapter 13 ending with an obvious set up for Gamma telling his backstory, and chapter 14 ending with Gamma going "yeah no this is too ****ed up for these kids" is one of the favorite little moments in the book of one of the beta readers. It's a tiny thing, but a thing that I think is kinda funny too, honestly.
    Show
    I feel a little put out that I couldn't think of a good nickname for that puppet. "Riot Muppet" is about the best I could think of, but I think that conjures the wrong mental image.

Spoiler: Chapter 14:
    Show

Bloodlines and magic based on symbols? a shadow wielder? Lord Orochimaru? I can see the Naruto inspiration in this. I'm sorry but thats the first thing my mind jumped to when I read Lord Orochi. I know he is also inspired by japanese mythology, but seriously Lord Orochi AND conducting creepy science experiments on kids? made me think of the anime character.

Gamma to be clear:
    Spoiler: Warning, Dark
    Show
    was intentionally not fighting that puppet, he was intending to die to release himself from his suffering.

So Orochi just screwed himself over by giving himself an enemy there.

Now I have to come up with a mancersona. I'm thinking an Electromancer. Her name will be Sigma, she like totally escaped from ONY in the most edgily awesome manner, and she will totally be super pretty and more awesome than everyone and like get a harem of other girls but don't worry she totally isn't like a mary sue or anything, don't hate.

Given how there are three other experiments who were more successful, I think Rei is going to find out eventually anyways, Gamma.
    Show
    Naruto was one of those things that passed me by, I'm afraid. That's a weird thing to say on the internet, I know. It's a little like saying that you've never seen an episode of The Simpsons.

My mancersona is Called Project D. Not "Delta," "D." Different ONY facility that used the English alphabet, see. They're a solarmancer, which sounds cool, but they can mostly just make the room brighter and give people really bad sunburns. As long as everyone's wearing shades, D is mostly harmless. Also, yeah. I did make a really dumb stealth pun.

Show

Show
    It's possible that giving the mancer Projects drugs was tried and had limited effectiveness? Maybe a stressed out, paranoid mancer with not yet known powers was deemed too risky?They also wanted to test the effectiveness of their riot puppet. Not to say that you're necessarily wrong. Lord Orochi didn't seem happy with their progress, so it might just be that our friendly scientists really don't know what they're doing.

Also... Pssh! Don't worry about being a pedant. You have a more comprehensive knowledge base than I do and that's good actually. Though most references to "Orochi" refer to that particular "great serpent," so I was pretty confident that was the case here.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Show
    Naruto was one of those things that passed me by, I'm afraid. That's a weird thing to say on the internet, I know. It's a little like saying that you've never seen an episode of The Simpsons.

My mancersona is Called Project D. Not "Delta," "D." Different ONY facility that used the English alphabet, see. They're a solarmancer, which sounds cool, but they can mostly just make the room brighter and give people really bad sunburns. As long as everyone's wearing shades, D is mostly harmless. Also, yeah. I did make a really dumb stealth pun.

Also... Pssh! Don't worry about being a pedant. You have a more comprehensive knowledge base than I do and that's good actually. Though most references to "Orochi" refer to that particular "great serpent," so I was pretty confident that was the case here.
    Show

thats okay, I've never seen Rick and Morty, Gravity Falls, Jurassic Park, The Mandalorian, probably haven't seen most horror stuff they're not my thing, don't like Terry Pratchett, Monty Python, George RR Martin or William Shakespeare all that much, and I hate One Piece, Spongebob Squarepants and all the memes that it ever spawned. probably stuff I don't remember, because I either don't like or watch it. heck, I don't keep track of celebrities, if you ask me who voiced or played what or whatever chances are I don't know or care.

Of course, the real mancersona Zodi has to watch out for the Omega the Necromancer. thats the uncreative one all the edgy kids WILL come up if you give them the chance, and basically make the character Gamma x100.

Yeah Orochi is in every japanese myth themed setting and they're always the main villain. its kind of disappointing actually, because they never use Amatsu-Mikaboshi even though he has so much potential.

27. - Top - End - #117

Show

thats okay, I've never seen Rick and Morty, Gravity Falls, Jurassic Park, The Mandalorian, probably haven't seen most horror stuff they're not my thing, don't like Terry Pratchett, Monty Python, George RR Martin or William Shakespeare all that much, and I hate One Piece, Spongebob Squarepants and all the memes that it ever spawned. probably stuff I don't remember, because I either don't like or watch it. heck, I don't keep track of celebrities, if you ask me who voiced or played what or whatever chances are I don't know or care.

Of course, the real mancersona Zodi has to watch out for the Omega the Necromancer. thats the uncreative one all the edgy kids WILL come up if you give them the chance, and basically make the character Gamma x100.

Yeah Orochi is in every japanese myth themed setting and they're always the main villain. its kind of disappointing actually, because they never use Amatsu-Mikaboshi even though he has so much potential.
    Show
    No, she should be looking out for Epsilon the Soulmancer who has red eyes and paperwhite skin and hair as black as night that's super messy with blood-red-tipped spiked bangs that cover one eye and vampire teeth and the left ear is pierced with an upside-down cross that he insists means satan even though it actually means saint peter. He wears a black leather trenchcoat and a matching fedora

His power means he can rip peoples souls out to make spectral minions or eat them to gain their mancies but like, at full power and potential none of that training bullcrap and even though he abuses this power maliciously he claims to hate it and is constantly crying blood becuase no one knows how he feels and not becuase his girlfriend Enoby broke up with him becuase he's a poser who isn't Goff enuff for her.

(I looked up the Greek for soul, psychí, but decided that not even bothering fit the edgy mary sue OC aesthetic better.)

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #118

I'm in love with the conversation currently unfolding before me.

Spoiler
    Show
    This isn't something that is brought up in book 1 but the actual in universe example of someone misappropriating that specific religious symbolism like that would be an upside down chalice. Consider this a teeny tiny tease for book 2, because it's actually going to get into that stuff.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

Show
    Fair enough.

As much as I like the mancersona I just invented, I imagine that if I made a mancer OC in earnest it probably wouldn't be an escaped ONY project. Probably one that grew up and discovered their powers on the outside, like Rei did.

As for making an OC that's Gamma with a ton extra gloom and doom... I think I'd have to wait to see what other kinds of mancers exist in canon. I don't know if I'd want to invent a power darker than the mancies already depicted or just use what's already there. I guess necromancy is a good standby if you're the sort of person that found Gamma too bright and cheery.

As for Orochi... I've figured out who he is... in myth, he's a serpent with eight heads and eight tails, right?

Spoiler: the TRUTH about Orochi
    Show
    So obviously, in Cursed World he's eight snakes in a trenchcoat. I just spilled some hot tea...

Show
    No, she should be looking out for Epsilon the Soulmancer who has red eyes and paperwhite skin and hair as black as night that's super messy with blood-red-tipped spiked bangs that cover one eye and vampire teeth and the left ear is pierced with an upside-down cross that he insists means satan even though it actually means saint peter. He wears a black leather trenchcoat and a matching fedora

His power means he can rip peoples souls out to make spectral minions or eat them to gain their mancies but like, at full power and potential none of that training bullcrap and even though he abuses this power maliciously he claims to hate it and is constantly crying blood becuase no one knows how he feels and not becuase his girlfriend Enoby broke up with him becuase he's a poser who isn't Goff enuff for her.

(I looked up the Greek for soul, psychí, but decided that not even bothering fit the edgy mary sue OC aesthetic better.)
    Show
    I feel like I should point out that Project Epsilon did not end well in canon, it seems likely that Epsilon themselves is dead. Unless this is alternate continuity or if this Epsilon is undead. If the latter... COOL! It's also kind of a bummer that we're going more for the grim mary sue route... as much as I agree that "soulmancer" suits the archetype better, someone saying they're a "psychomancer" sounds cooler to me. Good luck, Epsilon. You deserved better than Enoby anyway.

30. - Top - End - #120

I think, beyond just the fact that this conversation is wonderful, comparing it with my own notes and plans is VERY fun.