Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Tomb of Annihilation [5e]

Keem Shah
    Lizardfolk Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 11/11
    PP: 15 PIv: 11 PIs: 15
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

Keem looks at Shoku, his words were true, but they could leverage this advantage. You may speak truth, but we made short work out of these scouts. What makes you think we could not repeat that? Regardless, we can question him and let him off the hook.

Keem towers above the creature. What happened in Mbala? Who is Batiri? Speak fast or I will have your tongue for a short afternoon snack. The lizard licks its lips in anticipation. They really were planning on taking some goblin for themselves, and Shoku's butchery only made them hungrier.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Bejik "Scoots" Earenk
    Kobold Rogue
    AC: 14 HP: 10/10
    PP: 15 PIv: 14 PIs: 11
    Ammo: 20 Arrows

Scoots walks over to one of the dead goblins and retrieves his arrow if he can Did you move the signpost? He gives Shoku a curious glance as he beheads the goblins, but says nothing We need to know at least that much. They may not be the ambush we were expecting
    Last edited by Luccan; 2020-07-26 at 02:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizzybeth Fasten
    Halfling Wizard
    AC: 13 | HP: 7/7
    Passive Perception: 9
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

When Lizzybeth sees Shoku's blade slice through the head of the first goblin he comes to, she quickly turns away, fighting the bile that threatens to rise out of her throat. She turns her head away for a reprieve from the violence, but her gaze roves over goblin corpses, twisted trees, and a thickly forested canopy that hides the light of the sun from their actions.

She takes a moment to close her eyes, holding onto the arm of the goblin that Oz is restraining on the other side. She feels the net and tensed muscles beneath her hand, smells the tangy, sticky scent of blood and death on the air, and listens to Shoku's mantra and hammering. It's a long way from the comforting undulations of the sea she knows so well... but she's a long way from Port Nyanzaru now.

Looking up at Oswald, she asks, "Hold him tight, won't you?" She releases the goblin and pulls out a length of silk rope, which she uses to start binding its hands behind its back. Taking a note from Keem-Shah's intimidation tactics, she makes sure to jerk its arms into an uncomfortable position before doing so.

After everyone asks their questions, but before Toku can answer, she begins chanting, "Claoch, claoch," and with a flourish, a small glowing knife appear in her hand. She reaches around to begin carving a pattern into the goblin's stomach, low enough for it to see. Although the knife doesn't seem to cut into the flesh, when she finishes, the pattern she has made flashes for a moment before fading. As it fades along with the knife, you hear the sound of a whistle blow, from no apparent source.

She steps around to face him and, pulling out her dagger, snarls "We've struck you with a curse. If you lie to us, or attempt to hurt or mislead us in anyway, that mark will activate and you'll be turned into stone, never to breath again!" By the end of this threat, she is red and panting, with her knife almost to the point of the goblin's neck.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Using various effects of Prestidigitation to make these effects work. I'll roll (1d20+0)[15] for either Intimidation or Deception. (Or Persuasion, it's the same modifier for each.)
    My avatar is by Kari Avalon, aka @evatrice on twitter!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oswald 'Oz' Rayleigh
    Human Life CLeric
    AC: 18 HP: 11/11
    PP 15 | PI 15

Oz also ignered the grisly sight of goblin dismemberment and looked at the creature as it squirmed uncomfortably. He placed a hand on on Lizzy's shoulder as she carved symbols into its body and let divine energy pass into her.

After she finished speaking he added "This curse is sanctioned by the gods and quite unbreakable."

Spoiler
    Show
    Add Guidance to Lizzy's Deception (1d4)[3]
    Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    A guy going by a forum moniker starting with "Darth" asks what amounts to...

"Perhaps you feel you're being treated unfairly?

5. - Top - End - #95

DruidGirl

Toku shakes his head wildly, "Noooo, Stop!!" Now with the pseudo-curse bestowed Toku becomes very compliant. The goblin shakes his head at the barrage of questions, "No Toku didn't move anything." The goblin seems to look away from Keem at the probing question, "We are Batiri." The goblin looks hesitant to talk about Mbala, "The people there died slowly...taken by bird beasts." He looks around, "The old one told us."

The goblin looks up, "I will take you to Mbala...If you let Toku live."

The rain seems to lighten up considerably and in the mean time the group finds sacks of silver and copper among the dead goblins.

Spoiler: Loot
    Show

10 Silver
    29 Copper
    Last edited by ncpunkin; 2020-07-28 at 04:16 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Tashiro Shoku, Half Elf Kozakuran Paladin
    AC: 16 | HP: 12
    Passive Perception: 13 | Passive Insight: 13
    Conditions: None.

Finished with the grisly task, he noted that it had had it's desired effect upon their captive, he approached his companion, his polearm still leveled towards the masked goblin. "Keem Shah, is our captive ready to provide aid? We should move onward, and quickly, before he delays us further and his companions attack en masse."

Spoiler: Out of Character Actions
    Show
    OOC: I'm ready to move forward, did we have any major injuries requiring a rest, or shall he just move on?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Keem Shah
    Lizardfolk Druid

Yes, we can proceed. Keem utters. He looks for the path again, pushing the goblin at his mercy. Hurry, the faster we are at Mbala, the sooner we can be done with this matter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival [rollv]2d20[rollv]+5 14 and 22 overall, advantage due to the goblin's help.

Last edited by Spore; 2020-07-29 at 02:52 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Bejik "Scoots" Earenk
    Kobold Rogue

Scoots notices Lizzybeth's discomfort and tries a sympathetic look It's takes some time, when you first leave your den, to adjust to this sort of thing. That's why you don't go it alone. He adjusts his claw emblazoned headband and follows after Keem-Shah and the goblin Lead the way. With the goblin assisting Keem, Scoots will try to keep a better eye out around them.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Keem Shah
    Lizardfolk Druid

Keem gestures at Scoots, focussing the goblin with unblinking eyes. Our attention is at the traitor, and the path. Would you kindly watch out for dangers for us? A difficult task, you might want some help.

10. - Top - End - #100

DruidGirl

The Group sets off with the shifty-looking goblin leading the way. The goblin leads the group from the trail and back to it through some thick untraveled forest. Monkeys, birds, and other animals seemed to dance in the canopy as the rain lifted and the sun brought the life of the forest out again. The group is stopped by their goblin guide a few times especially when going down paths less traveled. It guides them safely around dangerous plants and pits.

The sky starts to turn dark and the group starts to feel the need to apply another layer of salve. It is eventually nightfall and the goblin address the group. "Dangerous to travel at night. Su-monsters tend to venture out." Toku says and points to a less dense cloister of trees and growth.

The goblin rushes to grab at a bug and eats its head off while it waits for the group to settle down for the night.

Spoiler: Keem
    Show

With a 22. You feel that you have shaved half a day off your trip to Mbala. You should arrive tomorrow evening before nightfall.
    Last edited by ncpunkin; 2020-07-31 at 05:36 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizzybeth Fasten
    Halfling Wizard
    Conditions: Comprehend Languages

As they begin their journey down the path to Mbala, Lizzybeth follows Scoots and helps him look out for dangers. "Thanks for your kind words before, Scoots. I'm glad to be traveling with you all. I've never traveled this far inland before... but I can't deny I'm excited!" She keeps a close eye on the woods, although she is easily distracted by various animals making their way through the trees.

Once the party comes to a rest in the copse, Lizzybeth is quick to shimmy up a tree to try and get a view of the surrounding area. While she's up there, she'll try to pull off a few different types of vines and leaves that she can play with.

Once she's back on the ground, she sits down and pulls out a book from inside her jacket, which she opens and reads for about ten minutes. She murmurs phrases to herself as she does so, and seems to be flipping between a few pages over and over again. When she's done, she walks over to Toku. Summoning up the only phrase she's heard in his language, she asks a little hesitantly, "Bree-yark... Batiri?"

Show
    Giving Scoots advantage on a Perception roll as we travel. Also, I made sure to grab my net before we left the last encounter site.

Rolling Athletics (1d20+3)[5] to climb this tree.

Casted Comprehend Languages as a ritual. I'm trying to talk to Toku in goblin, not sure if Lizzybeth can get the point across.

We're still full from Oswald's goodberries that he gave us this morning, right?

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Keem Shah
    Lizardfolk Druid

You did well, goblin. My people normally consumes their foes, but your help was more useful than the energy you provide. Now let us bind him. We should still check the surroundings before we make camp for the night. Sleeping in the trees would be preferrable for you. My body is used to the wetness of the mud.

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume the rain in the afternoon was just ther equatorial rain season where it pours down EVERY afternoon. I assume otherwise, hammocks and similar are preferrable to sleeping in the mud.

13. - Top - End - #103

Oswald 'Oz' Rayleigh
    Human Life Cleric
    PP 15 | PI 15

Oz removed his pack and began to unfurl a hammock. He didn't say much for quite some time as he went about preparing where he would sleep for the evening while chewing thoughtlessly on a berry.

When finished, he turned towards Keem as the lizardfolk was preparing rope for their captive. "Toku mentioned Su-monsters that come out at night. Do you know what he was referring to?"

He looked around nervously, worried that should they be attacked in the night they would have no form of defensive fortification.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Bejik "Scoots" Earenk
    Kobold Rogue

Scoots ties up the goblin before setting up his own hammocked bedroll Not much in the way of fortification here. We'll need to set up a watch to make sure we aren't attacked and our friend here doesn't flee. He steps over by Keem and speaks in Draconic

Spoiler: Draconic
    Show
    I would not eat anything that speaks in front of the scaleless too soon. They do not normally share the practical outlook of your people and it causes many to act rashly

Spoiler: Tying Knots
    Show

(1d20+4)[12]

All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Shoku nodded at the Korobokuru's words, "Wise council." He looked to his companions, selecting one of the ensorcelled fruit, "It has been a long day, and I am honored to call you my companions. Rest well, I will take the first watch."

With that, he patrolled the perimeter of their encmapment, he was somewhat familiar with the sounds of the jungle, but he had never been this deep into the penninsula and was somewhat apprehensive. He knelt close to their captive, "You have led us safely to this point," he cocked an eyebrow, "were I captured, I would do the same. Learning what I could of my captors while looking for every opportunity to escape. If you so much as move in your restraints, I will remove your hands and feet." He patted the handle of his katana, thrust through his obi, "And force you to lead us tomorrow on the ruinous stumps of your legs." He offered the creature the goodberry, allowing him to eat it before replacing his gag.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Keem Shah
    Lizardfolk Druid

Keem nods at the more socially adept lizard. I shall take the first watch. I would propose everyone except the halfling takes a watch. The darkness does cover attackers well, and your race is much more adapted to the day than elves and kobolds. As far as I understand Oz wants to be awake at dawn to praise his deity, right?
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-08-02 at 01:11 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizzybeth Fasten
    Halfling Wizard

After trying to climb a tree and falling on her ass, Lizzybeth wipes some of the mud off and watches Scoots tie up the goblin they have captured. Hearing his caution to Keem, she mutters, "After what Shoku did to the ones we defeated, that would be an honorable fate."

Perking up when Keem-Shah mentions her, she frowns at his words. "Can you see in the dark better than I can? I don't mind not taking a watch, but I'm not one to shirk work when it comes. I rise early as it is, so perhaps I can help whoever takes the last watch keep an eye out."

With a shrug, she says, "Either way, the least I can do is set up an obstacle for anyone trying to get the drop on us. How about I wrap some of this around our campsite to make a tripwire?" Here she holds up her fishing line with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

She makes sure to hang up her hammock as well. Although she's not familiar with the feeling of a long sea journey, sleeping with a little bit of separation from the ground is a comforting feeling.

18. - Top - End - #108

DruidGirl

The goblin stares blankly at Lizzy as she attempts to speak his language, "You surrender?" The goblin would offer some basic goblin words in return for water and better food than the bugs around.

Shoku's threats were met with an "Unf!". The goblin leans his head back and starts to snore a few minutes later.

The group settles in for the night. It rains for a moment, but it is short and lasts long just enough to get everyone wet. The morning is muggy, wet, and brings the ever-annoying aspect of bugs. The salve works again if the group continues to use it. The goblin heads is leaning back against the tree with his mouth agape. The noise coming from the small creature is tremedous as it snores in its sleep.

The tripwire left by Lizzy was left undisturbed. The goblin looks up at the canopy, "We make it by nightfall if we move."

Keem, Scoots, and Toku suddenly feel an instinctual fear as they hear a screeching roar. The group sees the undergrowth rustle and a long tusk boar breaks through already in a dead run towards the group. There is another loud screeching roar and over the undergrowth jumps a large feathered creature; The dinosaur has razor sharp talons on feathered arms, sharp razor-like teeth in a long mouth, and is running on two taloned feet.

The creature chases after the boar which is now nearing the group's camp.

Spoiler: Positioning
    Show

The action is taking on the other side of the trail and coming towards the group. The Dinosaur is 150 feet away and the Boar is 60 feet away from the group. The Trail is 30 feet away from group.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

Boar: (1d20)[5]
    Dinosaur: (1d20+2)[20]

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Shoku awoke early, performing a brief perimeter around the camp, he was satisfied that their captive did not betray them over the course of the night. Though he began to suspect the creature's plot may be more insidious, his awful night noises meant to deprive them of sleep and leave them fatigued and vulnerable to further attacks or passive resistance. On returning to his gear, he began a careful inspection of the leather ties, checking the armor for fraying while oiling the metal links to prevent rust from the insidious moisture.

He then oiled and powdered his katana blade, intoning a small prayer to his ancestors as he did so, the incense he lit refreshed him, despite the sodden humidity, and allowed him to concentrate on the task ahead. He applied the foul smelling repellent, and suitably armed and armored, he joined the other's for a light repast before preparing for the days journey.

That was when chaos erupted, the boar followed by a feathered raptor of sorts, he looked to the others "Ensure our captive remains secured and doesn't try to escape in the ensuing melee." With that he leveled his naginata, and advanced towards the road.

Once he assumed a proper fighting stance, he bellowed a loud kiai, or shout, to draw the creature's attention and announce himself as a threat to the beasts.

Show
    OOC: Rolling Initiative, +0, (1d20+0)[11]. I will move 30' towards the road, and Ready an action to attack either Boar or Raptor if they move within range of the polearm's 10 feet reach. (1d20+5)[25] vs AC, for (1d10+3)[7] damage, if and when appropriate.

20. - Top - End - #110

Oswald 'Oz' Rayleigh
    Human Life CLeric
    PP 15 | PI 15

Oz arose as the last person on watch, seeing the dawn in while patrolling the small camp. He enjoyed the chance to stretchthe night away. He was not unused to sleeping in harsh conditions, but a hammock did not match the comfort of his straw bed at home.

As the first rays of light crept over the horizon, he kneeled down with his shield in front, giving praise to Lathander and the dawn.

As he stood, he gave a nod to Shoku who was already moving about camp when the screech reached his ear. Within seconds he saw the approaching monstrosity and quickly grabbed his gear.

"Let the beast pass!" he shouted to Shoku. "It should lead its predator away!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20)[8]

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizzybeth Fasten
    Halfling Wizard

When Toku reveals the meaning of her butchered Goblin, she giggles out of combined amusement and embarrassment. She happily shares some of her water and whatever bugs she can catch, as well as a spare Goodberry if one is available. She eagerly scribbles the goblin words she learns in the margins of her spellbook.

Lizzybeth wakes up about halfway through Oswald’s watch, and once again tries to climb the trees in order to get a look at the stars. She searches for familiar constellations, looking for something familiar to guide her.

Climbing down once the sun has risen a little, she begins to remove her fishing line, but pauses to watch the ceremonies and ministrations of her fellow travelers. She considers going to ask questions, but before she can, nature begins to play out it’s drama before them.

Show
    (1d20+3)[20] for Athletics or Acrobatics. I’ll wait until it’s my turn in the initiative to take actions. The fishing wire is probably still mostly up, which is fine.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Keem Shah
    Lizardfolk Druid

Listen to the sun shaman, or kill its prey, and back off. Keem shouts. He takes a handfull of stones and enchants them with a green glowing aura.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic Stone (1d20+5)[15]
    Damage (1d6+3)[4] vs the boar.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Bejik "Scoots" Earenk
    Kobold Rogue

Scoots' eyes snap open at dawn and he spends a short while tending to and stowing his gear until the boar and dinosaur cry comes through the jungle. Bah... Can we clear away? He addresses the lizardfolk, knocking an arrow as he says it
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

24. - Top - End - #114

DruidGirl

The boar takes a stone to the head and shifts off to the left of the group. The dinosaur stops in the road and plants two feet and roars at the group. The boar dashes past the group in attempts to get away from danger.

The dinosaur seems to be emaciated and the group can gather by its unbreaking stare it has new prey.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Keem Shah
    Lizardfolk Druid

HOLD BACK! I WILL TRY SOMETHING. Keem shouts. He opens a satchel and presents a morsel of his breakfast, murmuring magic words in a low growl over it. For a short moment, the creature stares just at the piece of meat in an almost hypnotic fashion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Animal Friendship DC 13 will save or it is charmed.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Given Keem-shah's warning, Shoku remained resolute, ready to defend the group from the approach of either predator or prey.

Show
    OOC: Continuiting to ready the action to attack the 1st creature that approached the party in a hostile or threatening manner.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizzybeth Fasten
    Halfling Wizard

Lizzybeth draws her dragon-headed crossbow and runs to a position somewhere behind Shoku, and roughly 10 feet diagonal to Toku, so that if the dinosaur were to pursue the helpless goblin she might be able to protect him in some small way.

Show
    Is it too late to shoot the boar as Keem suggested? If she can’t shoot the boar, Lizzy will shoot the dinosaur, (1d20+5)[12] to hit and (1d8+3)[7] for damage. (Of course, all of this assumes she can get within range of the dino at this point. If she’s far away enough to shoot with disadvantage, (1d20+5)[23]

Also it seems like Lizzy’s PFP has stopped loading, looks like I’ll have to reupload it.
    Last edited by Strudel1000; 2020-08-16 at 01:11 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Bejik "Scoots" Earenk
    Kobold Rogue
    Ammo: 19/20 Arrows

Seeing its eyes fixed on the party, Scoots fires on the dinosaur, then falls behind the closer of his larger allies Its eyes are bigger than its stomach

Show

(1d20+5)[12]

(1d6+3)[8]

Last edited by Luccan; 2020-08-13 at 09:33 PM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

29. - Top - End - #119

Oswald 'Oz' Rayleigh
    Human Life CLeric
    PP 15 | PI 15

With nothing seemingly stopping the creatures advance, Oz prepares himself for the likely battle. His staff glows in anticipation and he points it at the creature as a wave celestial light attempts to consume it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Shillelagh on my staff and the Sacred Flame at the dinosaur. DC 13 Dex save or take (1d8)[1] radiant damage.
    Last edited by Darth_Versity; 2020-08-14 at 01:08 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120

DruidGirl

The dinosaur screeches loudly as a bolt and arrow sink harmlessly into its feathers before falling out and to the ground. The sacred flame catches the creature's tail as it bounds off with dizzying speed. The dinosaur launches into the air and attempts to pounce/collide with Shoku as he drives the Polearm up into the feathered Deinonychus breastplate. The creature's momentum forces the halberd in and out along, bouncing along the creatures breastplate, and leaving a deep gash that exposes bone and muscle to air.

The creature collides with Shoku and delivers a dizzying blow to Shoku's side. The dinosaur's deadly claws cut a matching gash through his armor and into his flesh, which draws a cascade of red.

Spoiler: Attack /w Pounce
    Show

Attack(Claw): (1d20+4)[23]
    Hit: (1d8+2)[10]
    Crit: (1d8)[7]
    If the deinonychus moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a claw attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a ***DC 12 Strength saving throw*** or be knocked prone.
    Last edited by ncpunkin; 2020-08-15 at 06:19 AM.