New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default [IC] Tomb of Annihilation [5e]

Lizzybeth watches as a large merchant vessel slowly comes to dock at the largest of the docks. The city would be enriched in a few day's time with more exotic goods, people and problems. You turn back towards your grandmother's house to leave the newcomers to their own devices, but something nags at your mind. It won't take long to watch the people disembark and hey you may see something interesting. You turn on your heel and start marching to the main docks.

Oswald finds himself at the bow of a massive ship that just passed a massive island disconnected from the mainland of Chult. The jungle seems to choke the island in spots, but pushing out of the jungle and into the sea; lay the jewel of the south, Chult. As you look over the sprawling city your thoughts turned to your dreams from last night. You stand inside a ruin surrounded by thick jungle. The ruins stretch on for thousands of feet in every direction, something happened here but just as your about to put your finger on it.

The dreamscape changes into a nightmarish hellscape of chanting, faceless figures surrounding a massive crocodile with tentacles thrashing and withering from its mouth. You watch as a young girl, halfling perhaps, is cut down and her blood dripped atop the crocodile's body. The body is slowly fed to the hungry beast and the chanting group begins to sway and turn to you.

The creature moves on you and you feel overwhelming fear as terrible voices enter your mind, "It sees all, we know all." The creature's tentacles wrap around your neck and darkness takes over before you shake violently awake. The same dream for the last three nights.

Scoot scratches at his scales for like the hundredth time; this sea air is worse than any desert as it seems sand magically appears in and under your scales. This place is surely a cursed land being all the way out here in the middle of this blasted ocean. You come up to your bunkmate, Oswald, on the ship's bow as the ship begins to maneuver into the bay.

Once the ship gets close enough ropes are thrown and a plank is dropped down to the docks below. A million things start happening at once as men, animals, and creatures of all kinds swarm on and off the decks. The captain a gaunt-looking man with a missing hand points with a hook towards a plank being lowered, "Get off my boat, you've been nothing but bad luck since we've taken you on."

Keem-Shah Shell-Face stretches and shifts in its hammock strung up with about 10 other hammocks. The people here had asked you to feed the dinosaurs and make sure they aren't looking ill or malnourished. You make your way outside into a tropical hot sun. The dinosaurs huff at you as they move towards the feeding trough.

You watch the dinos as they eat, one of the massive beasts fixes an eye on you as it chews at the vegetable mixture. You think about freeing it, but Shoku appears behind you.

Tashiro Shoku listens to the council as they go back and forth about the logistics of pushing into the interior on some fools errand. Shima suddenly stands to speak. "We have toiled here long enough. I've heard rumors of a great treasure waiting to be taken just inside the jungle. I've told you where it is and yet we argue about the lives of a few verses the lives of our people?" He had the votes among the council you already knew.

You stand and walk out to think about Shima's plan. It sounds far-fetched, but word of Mbala's sudden death of all its inhabitants had already reached the city. The messenger had simply run back to Nyanzaru. But now Shima was claiming he had questioned the man himself and was claiming this outlandish story of a hag and hidden treasure. It made no sense.

As you thought these things you found yourself seeking out the curious lizardfolk your people had befriended.

One Hour Later:

Oswald & Scoot Oswald looks upset at the way his bunkmate was being disrespected. Though why bother with such a lowly captain of a merchant vessel who can't even sail around a storm. You both disembark and make your way up the stairs and ramps leading up to the city. Oswald you are really starting to enjoy this place and its sights when you feel with dread. You see a Halfling looking over the merchant's vessel as it is unloaded of crew and goods. You know her face all too well. She turns to see you staring at her.

Lizzybeth moves forward to the man staring at her, "Welcome to Port Nyanzaru" you say in greeting. You look at Scoot and smile, before suddenly looking up at the sun to check the time. You were supposed to be at the Thundering Lizard to meet with Shoku and Keem. You look them over and a thought crossing your mind, "Are you two looking for adventure or maybe a drink?"

Shoku & Keem walk towards the Red Bazaar of Port Nyanzaru. Shoku you've decided to take the initiative and make a party of your own before Shima has the opportunity to set any more terms for your people. You had sent a message earlier to a good friend and able-bodied young halfling to meet and discuss a possible business venture. She should know where to find someone able to help us.

Keem you're the first to the Thundering Lizard. You open the door to let Shoku enter before moving in to let it close. By chance, you look back to catch the sight of Lizzybeth running with two people behind her in pursuit.

OOC:

Everyone would make their ways inside and we can open there.

Spoiler: Mbala Revealed Map
    Show

Shoku's people would provide an unfinished map of the areas they know about. Your scouts have found Mbala at Shima's orders.

Here it is

Spoiler: Confused?
    Show

If you aren't following we can discuss it in OOC.

I know I controlled your characters a lot just now, but instead of starting spread all over the city, I wanted to give you guys a sort of weak reason you're together.

If we need to edit anything let me know.

Player Table:
    Name: Character: Race/Class: Image:
    Zero Prime Tashiro Shoku Half Elf Kozakuran Paladin Image
    Darth_Versity Oswald 'Oz' Rayleigh Human Life Cleric Image
    Luccan Bejik "Scoots" Earenk Kobold Rogue Image
    Spore Keem-Shah Shell-Face Lizardfolk Druid Image
    Strudel1000 Lizzybeth Fasten Halfling Wizard Image
    Last edited by ncpunkin; 2020-06-19 at 06:45 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: [IC] Tomb of Annihilation [5e]

Oswald 'Oz' Rayleigh
    Human Life CLeric
    AC: 18 HP: 11/11
    Conditions: --

Oz followed behind the halfling as she lead them towards the bar. He continued to shoot nervous looks towards Scoot all the way, in a vain attempt to draw attention to their new acquaintance. He had told his new Kobold friend of the bad dream after the second night, but neither knew how to deal with such an event. Was it nerves, or prophecy? At the time he wasn't sure, but now there was no doubt. Lathander had lead him here for a reason.

"Erm... So, miss... erm... Lizbeth was it? Where exactly are we going?" he asked tentatively.
    Last edited by Darth_Versity; 2020-06-19 at 05:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    A guy going by a forum moniker starting with "Darth" asks what amounts to...

"Perhaps you feel you're being treated unfairly?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Keem Shah
    Lizardfolk Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 11/11
    PP: 15 PIv: 11 PIs: 15
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

Shellface enters the tavern behind Shoku. The half-elf was better at defusing situations, and Keem could gauge the situation and warn the Kozakuran before things got too ugly. The afternoon in the warm sun was enjoyable, the lizard was not sure why this room full of drunk people was preferrable to a sunbath. He could smell a mixture of natural brews, liquor, puke and burning tobacco in the air. All this did not please him. He could not smell an attacking deinonychus even if it defecated on his head.

Still, the lizardman went through all that because he needed help. These cityfolk were incredibly difficult to deal with social wise, and only Shoku even talked to him. Your elder council spoke of hags. If anything, I would doubt the existence of the gold, not dangerous creatures of the jungle. Keem put eloquently. They were no average savage, but educated and almost scholarly. Keem said they were a special breed, and normally thinking was not their god's teachings for it impeded instinctual reactions.

But if gold would improve your people's standings, it is quite welcome, I assume. That small halfling out there, is this a male or not? I can never tell. The lanky lizardman walked over to Lizzybeth, almost crawling over the pub's floor.

The other ones...is that a kobold? Keem's interest was suddenly peeked. He checked for a decent place to watch them, hidden from a good vantage point.

Spoiler
    Show
    Either name is sufficient. I assume people call him Shellface or Keem. Keem would be his male name, Shah is her female name. Shellface would just be a moniker, some name that would feel mocking for anyone other than the stoic lizardfolk that understands that his head is white like egg shell.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizzybeth Fasten
    Halfling Wizard
    AC: 13 HP: 7/7

"Lizzybeth, that's right! We're going to the best place for new folks in town, it's a fun little place called the Thundering Lizard!" Looking at Scoots, she added, "I didn't choose it because you're a lizard, by any means, it's just a welcoming atmosphere and a great way to get acquainted with our beautiful city. What brings you both here? You must have come a long way!"

Leading Scoots & Oz through busy thoroughfares and crowded avenues, Lizzy alternate between forging forwards and turning to talk to her companions, listening eagerly to what they have to say. Her fast pace was hard to keep up with, but when her new friends fell behind or got pushed aside by the crowd, she was quick to find them again and lead the way to the Thundering Lizard.
    When they arrived, she quickly found an open table and encouraged them to sit, saying "Wait right here, the bartender is a good friend of mine and we'll be sure to get a delicious meal while we're here!" Having said so, she darted out of sight with the same energy that she had used the whole way over.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'll resize the image in a second, just wanted to get the text out :p

Edit: still figuring out how to post my image so it's not huge!
    Last edited by Strudel1000; 2020-06-22 at 07:03 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Bejik "Scoots" Earenk
    Kobold Rogue
    AC: 14 HP: 10/10
    PP: 15 PIv: 14 PIs: 11

Scoots hadn't cared for the journey over. Humans and those like them smelled odd when in close quarters, particularly in the heat or after working. And he was still working salt out of his scales the whole walk. Being bunked with the servant of a Lathander was almost laughable; he wondered if the ship's captain had done it out of ignorance or if he though he was clever putting a kobold with a sun priest. Still Oz was an agreeable sort, for a mammal. He'd certainly been kinder than the crew. The kobold grinned at the thought of the foul, rotting fish he'd left in the captain's cabin before departing.

Scoots noticed his human companion's glances and shrugged. It was hard to be particularly trusting of deific insights when your own racial deity was trapped eternally in his own collapsed lair. Not that Scoots was unwilling to give the gods their due (as he was quick to remind Oz whenever he was dismissive of the cleric's piety), he simply didn't give them much heed outside their impact on his own life. Even if Lathander spoke to the man, it wasn't of interest to a thirsty kobold. Somewhere with that sweet alcohol we had at the last port, I hope. Rum, I think it was called. his voice was low and raspy, though some of that was from the salt air.

He holds up a hand at Lizzybeth's assurance and question Pay it no mind. I can already see this land enjoys its share of reptiles he gestures to the dinosaurs being lead through the streets It has been a long trip. I can't even remember where we boarded, though to be fair I rarely get the names of towns I plan to leave quickly.
    Last edited by Luccan; 2020-06-19 at 07:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Tashiro Shoku, Half Elf Kozakuran Paladin
    AC: 16 | HP: 12
    Passive Perception: 13 | Passive Insight: 13
    Conditions: None.

Shoku's thoughts were still racing with Kimoto-san's proposal, he was concerned in that this expedition would bring a measure of renown to the Kozakuran Quarter.
    However, such an increase of status would benefit Kimoto Shima's business and continued interaction with men of low honor, pirates, brigands and worse. He did not wish the Quarter represented by men such as Kimoto Shima and his men, and would rather the quarter be represented by the silk farmer's rice grower's and craftsmen who had begun to become profitiable. Shoku's disdain for Kimoto-san and his family was well known, however, should Toshiro be able to claim the renown by securing the nearby outpost of Mbala and discovering the nature of the ills that had befallen them, he would be able to wrest influence from Shima and contest his position within the Quarter's council of peers.

Even as he considered the implications of the expedition, he travelled through the Bazaar towards the Thundering Lizard. He did not enjoy the tavernhouse, it was of low character, as were many of it's patrons. However, as a place of business and negotiation it was suitable, Shima's reach did not extend into the Red Bazaar, so Shoku did not need to concern himself with his rival's retainers. As the lizardfolk held the door for him, Shoku entered with the briefest nod of thanks, Keem-Shah was a strange creature, however it was loyal, and respectful. It's knowledge of the peninsula was of significant advantage, especially considering the planned expedition that would require the group to travel the banks of the River Shoshenstar. He turned towards his companion, after ordering a plate of fish for Keem-Shah, and a herbal tea for himself. Once securing the table he responded to the lizard folk's question, "While the discovery of trade goods of value would benefit the quarter, there will be significant renown earned by those who journeyed the river to investiagate the fate of Mbala. That renown will aid the quarter, and prevent the council from falling, wholly, into the hands of Kimoto-san." He paused, lifting his tea cup to his forehead, bowed towards the east, his home, set the cup down, inhaled it's scent, allowing the steam to bath his sharp cheekbones. "Elizabeth-san, is her father's daughter, though the man is unknown to me. She is a scholar, with some connections throughout the Port, and should we convince her of the worth of our endeavor I am sure that we can recruit her to our cause."

As his companion mentioned the kobold, he turned his head, his brow furrowing, "A --- what?" He noted the korobokuru, a smal, twisted creature, scaled, with a reptillian snout. Scavengers and corpse-eaters ... however, he had never seen one outside of Kozakura, so he tried to temper his impressions. He did note it travelled with the young child, Elizabeth-san, he nodded subtly, inviting them over by his body language and slight acknowledgement of their presence. He found it odd that the young woman travelled with the scavenger and another who was, also, unkown to him.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2020-06-21 at 09:54 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Bejik "Scoots" Earenk
    Kobold Rogue

Scoots returns Shoku's initial glance with a hard look and nods to Keem. He tugs on Oz's robe to get his attention That half-elf with the lizardfolk is making eyes at us. You think he's Lizzybeth's friend?
    Last edited by Luccan; 2020-06-19 at 08:44 PM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

8. - Top - End - #8

Oswald 'Oz' Rayleigh
    Human Life CLeric
    PP 15 | PI 15
    Concentration: --

Oz was busy trying to get the waitresses attention when Scoots began pulling on his robes. His eyes followed the Kobolds finger to see a strange pair. He had only met a few lizardfolk in his time, so could not comment on whether this one's white head was an oddity, but the half elf immediately stood out. The sharp angular features were so different from any other travellers he had met.

He smiled at the Kobold, still unsure as to how you interpret the small creatures facial expressions, but assuming it was curiosity he said "Well either way, let's at least go make their acquaintance." and without waiting for a reply, headed over.

"Greetings my good... Sirs? My name is Oswald and this is my companion, Scoots. Are you by chance the friends of miss Lizzybeth's that she spoke to us about?"
    Last edited by Darth_Versity; 2020-06-20 at 03:13 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Keem Shah
    Lizardfolk Druid

Keem's eyes narrowed as they circled the newcomer sniffing in the air. He smelled of salty air, of sweating men and being at least surrounded by poor hygiene. Greetings, sailor. Our name is Keem-Shah, and his name is Tashiro. Tashiro is a male, while we Keem points at themselves and their white skull are both. I assume Lizzy is the halfman?. Keeping his distance, as if the other party laid an ambush he adds in Draconic:

Ahkrin Faal Dovah Nust Hon Grind Jul Krin. Kendov o Motmahus Kriik? Mir Ov? Osos Ov. Taazokaan Tahrodiis Dur. Jul Tahrodiis Ahkrin e Zohungaar Nivahriin. Zu'u Keem-Shah, Aar Semuanya Laas Pah.* The language has an abrupt and rhythmic quality, and its grammar is as simple as all Draconic. In an odd twist, you can hear Keem try to instill something like a proper sentence structure.

Spoiler: Draconic
    Show
    You are a courageous one for travelling with humans, fellow born of the dragon. Are you a warrior or a hunter? Who are you serving? This one is trustworthy. These lands are treacherous and cursed. The humans are fickle; some are heroes, some are cowards. I am Keem-Shah, shackled to (meaning a servant or slave of) Semuanya's will, as is all life.

Spoiler: Shiro
    Show
    Keem did not educate his friend in Draconic, but he told him a few words so he knows when lizardfolk are talking about them, or humanity. Jul means humanity as a term for all non-lizardfolk humanoids. Semuanya is Keem's deity of life. Aar means slave or servant, which is all the same to lizardfolk.

Shellface sniffs on the kobold's scales. Oh, and you get rid of the salt by diving in the river delta. But stay clear of the flesh crocodiles. he adds. Let us sit over there. the lizard beckons the group. He takes a chair facing the room, with considerable distance to the table, to be able to jump up and fight or flee at an instant.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Bejik "Scoots" Earenk
    Kobold Rogue

Bejik Earenk is the name I was born to, but Scoots was given me by my fellows in arms. It's good to meet you. He holds out a hand to Shoku, knowing that as a lizardfolk Keem will care nothing for the gesture of a handshake. He does respond in kind, however.

Show
    Oz is a good sort, I think.
    A healer and unlike many of his kind, he does not treat me poorly for my scales. I am a warrior, a scout. I've served none for many days. Thank you for the advice, the humans here seem even stranger than around my home land. I know of your Semuanya from an old ally, who spoke sometimes of your gods. Meeting another survivor on this journey is a hopeful sign.

I'll get this salt out first thing once I've had a drink and we've talked. Thanks.

Show

Are you using a specific online translator for Draconic? BTW, you would know that Bejik Earenk literally means "savior of tomorrow" in Draconic (at least according to the Forgotten Realms wiki), so his tribe clearly expects/expected a lot out of him

Last edited by Luccan; 2020-06-20 at 02:35 AM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Keem Shah
    Lizardfolk Druid

Keem's head turns to get a better view of the kobold, then nods approvingly. The scale issues, the use of draconic was appropriate. This really was a kobold and not some weird trick. What brings an underground dweller such as you to these lands? And can this Lizbeth be trusted? She does not have the air of a warrior nor a scout on her. Even her scent is peculiar.

After a short pause, he adresses Oz. What brings a healer to these lands? Will you tend to the dying lands? With the last word, you heard the first kind of concern or emotion in his voice, for everything previously was either guttural and harsh or studied and deliberately uncaring for fear of implying something with intonation.

Zu'u los ni kod wah daar tinvaak. Nii pogaas zii voot zaan.

Show
    I am not used to this language. It carries too much meaning with its intonation.

Spoiler: Scoots
    Show
    Translated word by word from the Elder Scrolls wiki. That thing is marginally better however. I assume grammar is implied by position of words (thus ignoring auxiliary words), which gives the Draconic some sort of guttural feel as I am basically just adding nouns and unconjugated verbs after each other.

Keem's first sentences literally meant: Bravery! The Dragon[kin] is courageous to serve, to meet [with] human.

Personally I would like to know if Scoots uses "Yipyak" or a more formal Draconic (implying the presence and importance of a dragon or dragonborn), a particularly annoying version of Draconic, spoken in a (particularly annoying) yipping accent.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Shoku shook his head as his companion spoke for him, while it would not be tolerated in the Imperial Courts, the creature was making an attempt at etiquette as it had been explained to them. Shoku stood up, and ridigly bowed, slightly, from the waist, his hands at his side. "Oswald-san, please forgive my companion, they mis-spoke. The customs of my people are unfamiliar to them, I am Tashiro Shoku," he stressed the Shoku as he spoke in heavily accented Taldan. "As is tradition in the Kozakuran isles, Tashiro is my family name, as each man is a product of his forebears and responsile for bringing honor first, to one's family, Shoku, is my given name, chosen after passing my gempukku." With a sweep of his arm, he indicated the table. "Please join me as we take tea, you must be weary after your travels."

He looked to the young woman who accompanied the both the taller man, and the korobokuru. "Elizabeth-ko, as discussed, there is a proposal we must discuss which you may find beneficial to your continued studies of the Penninsula and it's mysteries." Then finally, he looked down to smaller kobold rogue, "Bejik Earnek, as previously stated, I am Toshiro Shoku," he bowed, the barest inclination of his head, "You, too, are welcome to join my table."
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2020-06-21 at 09:54 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizzybeth Fasten
    Halfling Wizard

Lizzy squirmed her way through the crowded bar, over to the table where her new acquaintances and one friend were sitting. Hearing the rhythmic murmurs of a language she wasn't familiar with, she paused for a second, trying to hear the sounds that were being said... but whoever had been speaking was silent. She pressed forward, just in time to hear Shoku apologizing for his companion, who she didn't recognize.

Circling the table to stand next to him, she exclaimed, "Shoku, it's good to see you!" Her arms reached up and out as if expecting a hug, but she thought better of it and brought her hands full circle back to her chest, clasping them together and entering a deep bow in an attempt to honor his customs of greeting.

Turning to the table, she said "The bartender will be over in just a minute, he's a great guy and he'll make you feel right at home!"

Upon the mention of a chance to solve some mysteries, her ears perked up. Standing on one of the benches in order to reach over the table, she replied, "I'm always interested in finding answers! Is your new friend here to help us?" she asked, gesturing at Keem-Shah. "Nice to meet you by the way, my name is Lizzybeth! How did you and Shoku meet?"

Show
    Not sure if Shoku considers Lizzy a friend, but she considers him one :p She also sees everyone who talks to her more than once as a friend.
    Last edited by Strudel1000; 2020-06-22 at 07:02 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

DruidGirl

Lizzybeth makes her way to the bartender who is currently being swamped for more ale. He finally hefts up a keg already tapped and turns it to the thirsty crowd. He finally sees Lizzybeth and yells above the crowd, "Lizzy! Welcome! Tell your friends I will greet them when I can." He gestures to the crazy crowd, "Old Bertha won by a fluke today, Thirty-two to one!" Jabon whistles and a swamped Chultan girl snaps up, "Table five girl, Table five." Jabon smiles at Lizzy and nods before turning to scream at another drunk patron trying to grab a mug half full of mead from behind the bar. "Out! Get him out of here!" The man is pulled towards the door and tossed out onto street.

Everyone else watches as Lizzybeth makes her way back to them with a girl carrying drinks on her heels, "Everything is free tonight. Old Bertha won her final race." She says this as she sets out cups of mead and ale. "There is also Fig Wine, but only one glass per patron." She hands each of you a chip, "Present this and I'll get you your cup." Shoku and Lizzybeth would know this is the strongest liquor(moonshine) you can get in the city.

As the group settles in with their drinks there is ample time to talk about the plans involving Mbala and how best to trek through the jungle. The natives would know the interior in some way, but it is clear no one has a more complete picture of what awaits them inside the jungle besides Shellface.

Spoiler: Shellface, Shoku and Lizzy's Insights
    Show

You guys would know that the interior is swarmed with insects that will bite relentlessly, day or night. You can purchase a gourd with 20 applications of insect repellant, with each application lasting 12 hours for 1 Gold.

Shoku you can ask your people to provide this kind of thing for your group once you talk to them (if you talk to them about this). If you do approach the council Shima will learn of your plans.

Shellface knows that goblins like to encamp near and around Mbala so they may ambush traders moving through the jungle. They attack by stacking on top of each other and rushing their targets. These 'Battlestacks' are deadly due to each goblin attacking in unison.

Lizzy your studies have told you that the hags of Chult are not to be trusted. They often portray themselves as indispensable to people before betraying them.

Shoku you know that most people who die in the jungle do so by losing their way in the thick, dinosaur infested, poison plant-filled jungle. If you become lost in the jungle you will most likely die.
    Last edited by ncpunkin; 2020-06-20 at 01:06 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Bejik "Scoots" Earenk
    Kobold Rogue

Scoots takes a deep drink from his cup and stretches Down to business it is, then. What manner of mission is this? He takes out playing cards and begins to shuffle them idly while glancing around the bar. While he had little doubt their adventures would take them into the jungle itself, it was nice to relax on dry, safe land for a while and see how other people lived.

Nust lost aus wah Dovah, Zu'u mindol, ahrk mal nust daar tinvaak lost aan hahdrim fah Dovah. Ful nust kod mey tinvaak Scoots' voice is notably pitched higher when he speaks Draconic

Show

"Their have trouble with Draconic, I think, and few that could speak it have a mind for it. So they have to get along with something less precise."

Literally "They have suffering with Draconic, I think, and little they that speak Draconic have a mind for it. So they use fool speak."

Show
    Scoots speaks standard Draconic, with no trace of Yipyak with non-kobolds. Much like Oberyn Martell with the Spider, however, any fluent speaker of Draconic can tell he's deliberately not speaking his native dialect. I'm generally just gonna put Draconic in spoilers, it takes a fair amount of work to translate, particularly since the Dragon Tongue is incomplete.

Last edited by Luccan; 2020-06-20 at 03:46 PM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Oswald 'Oz' Rayleigh
    Human Life CLeric
    PP 15 | PI 15

Oz went to offer his hand to the Shoku, but quickly realised his mistake as the half-elf swept into a bow. He followed suit, though slightly more awkwardly as his chainmail refused to bend and his holy symbol clanked loudly as he straightened again. Despite years in the city, the effort people went to with formal greetings always seemed alien to him.

"My thanks Shoku and Keem. I am honoured to join you."

He sat down, leaning his staff casually against the table. "So Keem, what did you mean by healing the land? Is there trouble here? Is it by any chance related to my... how can I put it..? connection, to miss Lizzybeth here?"

The Dawnbringer gladly accepted the mead as it was offered and took a small sip while waiting for the Lizardfolks answer.
    Last edited by Darth_Versity; 2020-06-20 at 04:38 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Keem Shah
    Lizardfolk Druid

Still staying with water, the lizardfolk leans to Oz to make himself heard better. Our people is known as the Kekwalah. Our lives are short and brutal, the fittest survive, the others die and are eaten. Our eggs are laid in fertile soil. Rich nutrients make the hatchlings female, for plentiful offsprings and a new generation. Poor nutrients make the hatchlings male, to give the tribe a chance to conquer more area. Keem-Shah however, was born under a bad star, a vessel for two beings. I was meant to be a female, but the life force drained out of the soil, making me not male nor female, but an avatar of Semuanya. This is our god, it embraces the very essence of life. My coming, my face markings are the heralds of a new age.

She looks at Lizzybeth. Her goals are wealth and friends. I do not yearn for this kind of appreciation. and finally at Scoots.

Show
    Do not mind the elf. He feels himself and his culture superior, looking prideful at a few centuries of his tribe being influential. Just humor him for now.

After thinking about Shoku's behaviour and the land's curse a bit, Keem actually takes a swig of mead to clear their head.
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-06-21 at 05:34 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizzybeth Fasten
    Halfling Wizard
    Conditions: Comprehend Languages
    As the rest of the party starts to discuss Keem-Shah's and Shoku's proposal/mission, Lizzybeth grabs a tankard of ale and swiftly drains half of it. Pulling it away, she wipes some foam away from her lips, and listens intently to both the exchanges in Draconic and Keem-Shah's description of the curse afflicting their lands.

As Keem-Shah begins speaking about the Kekwalah, she holds her hand over a candle, gathering a bit of soot; at the same time, she scrapes up a pinch of salt that wasn't quite cleaned away from the last meal. Muttering a halfling incantation to herself, she murmurs, "Laeg la ohr caet; fleag la son claet." Rubbing the soot onto one earlobe, and the salt onto the other, she gains an insight into the Draconic banter being spoken before her.

When he mentions her goals of wealth and friends, she gives a grin that is halfway between an innocent smile and smirk, and with a flick of her wrist, a small bag of coins appears in her hand. With a wink at the lizardfolk, she twists her wrist again and the bag disappears. Despite her cheeky response, she is in awe of the fact that she is in the presence of someone who is the avatar of a deity; even in Port Nyanzaru, that's not something she sees every day.

She continues to listen in the meantime, waiting for the bigger picture of Shoku's proposal and Keem-shah's quest to paint itself.

Spoiler: Halfling translation
    Show
    Let their words ring true in my ear; make the sound that reaches me clear.

Show
    Lizzy casted Comprehend Languages on herself, which lasts for an hour. She's trying to do it stealthily; she rolls (1d20+3)[11] for Sleight-of-hand. She used Prestidigitation for the trick with the coins as well. She's a little hurt by Keem-Shah's dismissal of her interests, but tries to hide it; she rolls (1d20+0)[8] for Deception.
    Last edited by Strudel1000; 2020-06-22 at 07:01 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Keem Shah
    Lizardfolk Druid

The lizard nods in approval.

Spoiler: Draconic; to Lizzybeth
    Show
    Oh, so you are a seer then. Impressive. Excuse my directness, but I do not understand why you are hurt. Enjoying a good life is a good goal to strife for. The best food, the healthiest men to impregnate your kids. Just know all of this is naught in the presence of a powerful enemy. Goblin tribes are harrassing the human settlements. Witch doctors are cursing the people. Everyone that lives near their undead slaves is drained of life. If they die and come back via magic, they slowly deteriorate.

Before setting out you should buy some insect repellant. My scales make it safer for me to not be harassed as easily, but you do not want to travel the jungles with poisonous animals, mad goblin pygmies and dangerous reptiles covered in a diseased cloud of flies.

20. - Top - End - #20

Oswald 'Oz' Rayleigh
    Human Life CLeric
    PP 15 | PI 15

As Keem finishes the story, Oz scratches his stubble in contemplation. He had vague recollection of various times in the past that lands had become infertile. It had been in a book at the church, but most of that was related to agriculture which was the domain of his mother deity, Chauntea, not Lathander.

Instead of replying straight away, he turned to the halfling beside him. "Miss Lizzybeth. What is your relationship to all this? And have you had any... odd dreams? Because I have seen your face before today, but only in vague visions that I now believe to be some sort of prophetic vision."
    Last edited by Darth_Versity; 2020-06-21 at 05:28 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Shoku nodded, subtly, as his companions spoke, listening to their foreign language, studying their faces, inflections, and intonations as he did so. It did not escape his notice that Keem-shah and the korobokuru spoke in some harsher, gutteral language he did not understand, as though they wished to keep their discussion private, this sparked a sharp rise in his dark brow as he watched quizzically.

Then the young woman approached him enthusistically, her exuberence and openness making Shoku feel slightly uncomfortable, however, having learned of his culture's respect for personal space, she kept her distance and performed an adequate bow for a foreigner. This brought a small smile to his lips, "Elizabeth-ko, it is this one's pleasure to greet you on this day." The korkbukuru produced a small deck of cards and began shuffling them deftly, he had seen the sailors playing such games, often accompanied by the clink of mettalic coins, a gambling game them, not dissimilar from Mahjong then, a pursuit that Shoku avoided, a low-skill, disreputable.

The taller human, Oswald, made an attempt at a bow, armored as he was, the attempt was appreciated, even though Shoku saw it was a formality he was unaccustomed too. However, the prominence of the medallion he wore, spoke of some scholarly, or religious studies in his youth. Interesting. Shoku returned his bow, "Oswald-san," he spoke by way of greeting.

He sat back down, sipped his steaming tea, which had a subtle earthen aroma, from his sash he produced two small lacquored sticks and deftly began picking at the steamed fish and rice he had ordered. "You will of course, pardon me if I, too, take my meal while we discuss the venture for which Elizabeth-ko has brought you to this establishment."

"As our young scholar," the inclination of his head indicated Elizabeth, "is aware, the Kozakuran presence within the Port of Nyanzura is only recent. A merchant fleet met with disaster and those who did not drown were brought ashore by a fleet sent to the shoals by the Merchant Princes. We have established a small quarter within the walls, with which Keem-shah is familiar with." Another sip of tea, "My family name holds some measure of respect within the quarter, though I remain seperated from my family, my clan and my Emporer by a vast ocean. A council of peers holds governance over the Kurakozan Quarter, and it has come to our esteemed Councilman's attention that an outpost that rests along the shores of the River Shoshenstar, named Mbala, has fallen silent, it's population either perished or missing." He looked around the table, searching the eyes of those assembled, "Should, we, be ale to provide the Council with the truth of the situation, they can then deliver such intelligence to the Merchant Prince's, and by that act, elevate the status and import of the Kozakuran people. However, we are an isolated people, having only, within the past year, established ourselves within the city, so those who would join me can only be offered by thanks and my indebtedness. While I do not guarantee wealth will be discovered during our venture, there are some among the council, who believe solving the mystery of Mbala's fate will reveal fortunes enough to secure one's comfort during their time within the Penninsula. Also, should you require housing within Nyanzura, I can persuade Nakahiri-san to provide you room and board for the duration of your stay."
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2020-06-21 at 09:55 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizzybeth Fasten
    Halfling Wizard
    Hearing Keem-Shah's explanation, Lizzybeth is mollified and a little embarrassed at her knee-jerk reaction to his words.

Spoiler: Keem-Shah's insight into Lizzy's reaction
    Show
    Surrounded by a family who's only focus was the daily task of sailing, casting nets, selling fish, and maintaining boats had never been enough for Lizzy's ambitions; even as her grandmother encouraged her, her parents often dismissed her interests in magic, wealth, and friendship as hobbies or wastes of time.
    Regardless, she now understands Keem-Shah's perspective on the matter- while it is okay to search for a good life, such things quickly fall by the wayside in the face of danger.

With a nod, she replies, "I know a little bit o' magic, but I can't forgive anyone who would use that power to curse others."

She listens patiently to Shoku's explanation of the situation, as well as Oz's inquiry.

Turning to Oz, she says "I'm Shoku's friend! I don't know too much about the jungles around here, but I'm well on magic. In fact," she adds, turning back to Keem-Shah, "I've heard there are awful witch-like fellas in the wood, who fool people into trusting them, and then curse them. I've heard them called hags- would that be the same as the..." she tries to choke out the Draconic phrase that Keem-Shah used for witch doctor, but doesn't have much luck. "... as the witch-doctors you mention?

"Either way, I wouldn't mind the chance to teach a lesson to some of these brigands who would harm your way of life. Sailing to Mbala might get us some answers, and it may well get us a bit of influence 'round here,
    she says with a wink at Keem-Shah and a nod in the direction of Shoku.

Returning to Oz, she meets his eyes with a piercing gaze. "I en't had many dreams as of late, least of all dreams about you. I wouldn't ignore something that came in a dream tho. I assume that's the connection between us you mentioned before, eh? What sorts of visions have you seen?"

And with an aside to Scoots, she asks, "Are you going to deal us in or what? Pick a game and we'll start a hand. Nothing like a round cards to get to know new friends!"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Bejik "Scoots" Earenk
    Kobold Rogue

He looks to Lizzy and grins You know how to play Luskan Poker? He'll give a brief run down of the rules to anyone who doesn't know. He's quite deft at the game and plays as honestly as one can in a poker game. Scoots quickly deals out a hand to interested parties (he just gives a glance to see people's interests and may note Shoku's disapproval). He nods at the Kozakuran's words Trying to raise the station of your tribe in the world. I can understand. I don't really work for free, but you can take it on credit if there turns out to be no coin in the venture itself. Right now a place to lay my head would serve as a good down payment. I think we've laid out most of our abilities; I myself am a scout and a scrappy fighter when it comes down to it. Our companions are a mystical lot. What of you, Shoku? You've the look of a warrior about you.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Keem Shah
    Lizardfolk Druid

Keem struggles with the game. He understands the rules, and its purpose, but his society actively shunned even the most basic intellectual dealing such as this. So distracted by the game and wrapping his head around, he asks: Remind me again, is this hand called full house a good thing?

As Shoku's skills come to question, Keem is intrigued as well. You are in good physical condition, but I sense some benevolent spirits around you. You never told me, which gods you favor.

25. - Top - End - #25

Oswald 'Oz' Rayleigh
    Human Life CLeric
    PP 15 | PI 15

As the cards are offered to him, Oz raises a hand in refusal. "I'll pass as you already took enough of my coin on the journey here. I'm usually good at reading people, but you are particularly difficult to get anything from my little friend."

He turns to Lizzybeth as she takes her first hand from the Kobold. "I would rather not divulge the details of my visions as they are less than pleasant. But without a doubt you are there."

His rather jovial features harden slightly as he continues "I'm sorry if its an inconvenience miss Lizzybeth, but for the time being I would like to accompany you wherever you go. Although I cannot say for sure, I believe that Lathander has lead me to you so that I can change what saw."
    Last edited by Darth_Versity; 2020-06-21 at 05:28 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Shoku smiled as the korobuku questioned his martial prowess, "You are forward, are you not, little one? I am but a novice on the path of enlightenment, trained in the halls of the Shogunate by some of the best teachers available. I am versed in the art of the naginata, the daisho, the art of war and strategy, though mastery, as in all things, comes only with time." As the other's began to play a gambling game that Shoku had observed before, he owed out, politely, and respectfully.

"I apologize, my lack of knowledge of this, specific, games manner of play may be of offense to you, as such I will merely observe." He did, however, keenly watch the players, knowing from previous observations that it was as much a game that could reveal one's intentions, their sincerity, and the manner in which they could prevent other's from ascertaining the value of one's own hand. He had come to appreciate it, though he was loathe to participate in such a base activity as gambling.

However, upon hearing Oswald-san speak of his devotion to Lathandar, whom he could only assume was some sort of Patron Liege, he spoke up. "Lathandar? This name is unfamiliar to me," he bowed his head sincerely, "would you have the time to educate me in your liege lord's history, that my ignorance will not offend one, whom I consider to be an ally in this venture?"

Spoiler: OOC Actions
    Show
    OOC: Knowing that cards is a game of deception and insight, SHoku will make an Insight check to determine who has the better hand, who is bluffing, who has specific tells, all useful information to know. Rolling Insight, +3, (1d20+3)[4], and let's see what we get. Yeah ... Shoku really, REALLY, doesn't get this game!
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2020-06-21 at 05:47 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizzybeth Fasten
    Halfling Wizard
    AC: 13 | HP: 7/7
    "It's a good thing you're not playing, because you sure keep your cards close to your chest," Lizzy quips at Oz. Unsure about whether to take him seriously or not, she echoes Shoku's curiosity about Lathander. "I'm glad he's sent you my way, you seem pretty handy to have around in a scrap-" here she elbows his stiff chain mail- "...but I'd like to know a little more about the man who's made me a beacon o sorts." She sucks her teeth, and folds early in the first round.

Not being familiar with Luskan poker in particular, but having seen plenty of card games, Lizzy picks it up pretty quickly. Unfortunately, while trying to show off by summoning a watery, translucent hand to hold her cards, she gets distracted by a passing patron who she recognizes, and knocks her cards onto the table for all to see in her rush to say hello. It's... not a very good hand. "Looks like Old Bertha stole all my luck today," she mutters.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Bejik "Scoots" Earenk
    Kobold Rogue

Scoots nods at Shoku's comment, but shrugs Never learned anything by not being curious. Sounds like you can handle yourself. I'm onboard, if you're agreed to my terms. And no offense taken about the game, it's not everyone's cup. Speaking of He finishes his drink and flags down one of the servers, holding up his chip I'll try that glass of Fig Wine, I think. And something fit for eating with a hand full of cards. He turns back to the game and deftly displays a royal flush It's very good, Keem-Shah, but this is better. And you don't want to let your opponent know what you hold. You'll get the hang of it. When the food and drink arrives he sips the wine appreciatively Fine stuff. You'll get the hang of it, Liz, though I always remember the advice I was told when I started out: never play a game of cards you need to win.

All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Keem Shah
    Lizardfolk Druid

The shaman looked around. Everyone was at ease, the settlement was safe and sound, and they enjoyed a distraction from the real world. Maybe this drinking and gaming was closer to his heart than he expected. A willful distraction of the real struggles outside. This was oddly enough the safest he felt in the four years since he hatched, the only one of his kind in a foreign tribe talking casually about the cursed island.

Lizzybeth? I am not a fan of this beverage. May I ask your friend to bring me a simple dish instead? Food makes me much more at ease than drink.

30. - Top - End - #30

Oswald 'Oz' Rayleigh
    Human Life CLeric
    PP 15 | PI 15

"You wish to know of Lathander?" he replied with excitement. "Well, he is known as the Morninglord. Bringer of the sunrise and bane to undead. He is a well respected deity who blesses all forms of beginning. Whether that be the start of a day, birth of new life or start of a new civilisation."

He held the holy symbol close to his chest with pride. "He is not perfect though, but that is what makes him so easy to relate to. All of us make mistakes, but the Morninglord does not judge us for those, so long as the attempt was made for good reasons. He will bless us on our journey, and help keep the evil at bay by bringing the days light to dark places."

He relaxed slightly and let his eyes focus on the room again. "I know my praise seems a little... excessive. But Lathander is a deity of action so hopefully you will understand him more fully by seeing how I act by your side."
    Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    A guy going by a forum moniker starting with "Darth" asks what amounts to...

"Perhaps you feel you're being treated unfairly?