Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Tomb of Annihilation [5e]

Lizzybeth Fasten
    Halfling Wizard
    AC: 13 | HP: 7/7
    Passive Perception: 9
    Conditions: Comprehend Languages
    Concentration: --
    "Never play a game of cards you have to win, I'll drink to that!" She summons her spectral hand and uses it to toast Scoots's wine glass with her own tankard, followed by her draining the second half of her second ale.
    "Keem-Shah, we're here to show you a good time, let's get you something warm and delicious in that belly!" Standing on the bench, she hails down the server, saying "Miss, would we be able to get two orders of fish and chips for our table?" She quickly turns back, asking, "Anyone else want something to eat? Speak now or forever hold yer peace!" Turning back to the waitress, she tips her 3 silver.

Turning back to the table to listen to Oz, she sits and watches with fascination as he draws up deep emotions and devotion to tell everyone about his idol. As he finishes, she exclaims, "Action is always better than nothing!" and punches the air in excitement. Leaning in a little bit, she says in a theatrical whisper, "If he blesses beginnings, will he bless the beginning of this bond between five fast friends?"
    Last edited by Strudel1000; 2020-06-22 at 07:05 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oswald 'Oz' Rayleigh
    Human Life CLeric
    AC: 18 HP: 11/11
    PP 15 | PI 15
    Conditions: --

"Of course. He blesses all beginnings, so let us drink and ask for his blessing at the start of our grand adventure together." and with that he stood up, raised his mug and looked skyward.

"Oh great Morninglord, give us your protection on this journey we undertake. Light our way and ease our burden. Praise be to the morning."

And with that he takes a large gulp, finishing his ale and calls over to the barmaid. "Young miss? I think I'll take some of that fig wine as well."
    Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    A guy going by a forum moniker starting with "Darth" asks what amounts to...

"Perhaps you feel you're being treated unfairly?

3. - Top - End - #33

DruidGirl

Everyone
    The waitress takes the offered coins and orders for food and drink. She seems more swamped by the hour, but somehow managing to keep up. You see her stop behind the bar and she shoots a dark black liquid and shudders. She grabs the platters and returns with the ordered food and drinks, "Anything else, just shout!" She is off in a dart hitting every table in a matter of moments.

The night continues on winding down from the crowd. A huge group of the party dispersed as a man was carried out. The man was blackout drunk at this point and was claiming he wanted another drink. The girl sat down breathing hard in a table near your party and looked at the other tables. The silence that fell makes you all realize just how loud the party was.

"He was the rider of Bertha." She looks your party over, "Do you need rooms for tonight?". Jabon finally comes over and bows slightly to Shoku, "Welcome back to my establishment Shoku. I hope it wasn't too much of a wild night. The man would greet Lizzy with a warm smile, "Miss Lizzybeth, How is your grandmother? Did she get the spirits I sent?"

He turns to Shellface, "It has been some time I wondered if you were still with Shoku. I'm glad you are still looking after him." The man offers a hand to Oswald, "You...You two are new...Welcome to Port Nyanzaru. I hope you don't mind the way we celebrate miracles. I am Jabon and who are you?" He turns first to Oswald and then to Scoots, "Well welcome to my establishment. If you need a room it is 2 silver a night and meals are 5 copper served in the morning and at night."

OOC:

The group would be welcome to stay, but if no one questions Jabon he returns and looks over the bar. The waitress gets a plate of food and eats quickly.

If you requested a night Jabon would take payment now and assign you one of the 6 open rooms.

Spoiler: Oswald, Shellface, Scoots
    Show

You guys would have noticed that the waitress has stashed a lot of coins throughout the night. They are just on the other side of the bar near the entrance to the back of the bar. She did this in stealth because she was trying to hide the fact she was being so heavily tipped and hasn't returned to claim the coins.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Keem Shah
    Lizardfolk Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 11/11
    PP: 15 PIv: 11 PIs: 15
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

Shah edged her seat in a way that gave him a better look at the bar, and he concentrated his attention on the bag of coins. People here hoarded shiny things like parrots; coins, gems, jewelry, even just colorful clothing. They regarded the coins as highly as Kekwalah did their brood. When Keem was the hunter, Shah was the protector of the nest. She tried to watch the 'nest'.

They would have told the others, but the group had no social ranks yet, and he did not want the swift and skilled barwoman to be robbed. He knew what it meant to have some prey stolen that he worked hard for, only because someone stronger and sneakier stole it. It was the law of the jungle, but it did not feel good.

Distractedly Keem answers Jambon: I thank you but I am unable to pay. I would however ask you to give me the leftovers from our table. It would be a disgrace to throw these away.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Bejik "Scoots" Earenk
    Kobold Rogue
    AC: 14 HP: 10/10
    PP: 15 PIv: 14 PIs: 11

Scoots raises a hand in greeting Hearty celebrations are always welcome. I am Bejik Earenk, but most call me Scoots. I'm not sure of our arrangements... he glances at Shoku But I have to compliment you on the choice in wine. A fine thing to drink. And your business's fine hospitality is welcome to this weary traveler Before they bed down or leave for the evening, Scoots will approach the waitress, laying a few silver on the table beside her Most appreciated for your service this evening. You should stash away your earnings more privately, though. Less scrupulous individuals aren't as grateful.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

A bit buzzed and in a good mood, Scoots tips the waitress 3 Silver along with the warning about her hiding spot

Last edited by Luccan; 2020-06-22 at 09:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizzybeth Fasten
    Halfling Wizard
    Conditions: Tipsy

Lizzybeth stands up on the bench to face the bartender. "Ha, she was happily holding the handle of red rum when I left. You made her week, and I can't thank you enough for that!" She presses her heels together and gives the local sailor's salute, thumping her right hand into her chest above her heart twice. Turning to Scoots, she adds, "You asked about rum when we first met, around here they plant the sugarcane between rows of herbs, and they age it with flower petals that give it a stunnin red color and an earthy flavor that makes you glad to be alive. Next time we come in we'll give it a try, eh Jabon?" As she describes the drink, she waves her fingers over her palm, and it appears as if rich red rum is flowing down onto her hand, although it disappears once it spills over her wrist. As she mentions the taste of it, she spreads her fingers and everyone gets a whiff of the rum's aroma: the sweetness of sugar, along with a hint of hibiscus and a base of what might be rosemary.
    Finishing her description, she accidentally lets out a loud belch, and with bright red ears, she apologizes and sits down.

As the rest of the party works out their arrangements, she looks to make plans for the next day. Looking at Shoku, she says, "I'll be casting off again tomorrow, but I should be back come sun-high- I can meet ya all at the Anchorage an hour after that, does that work? If we're looking to get an early start, they can sail for a day without me. Don't want to leave the Morninglord hanging, after all!" she says, with a nod to Oswald.

With the night coming to an end, Lizzy leaves with the rest of the party who may be stepping out for the night, turning left instead of right once leaving the inn. As she struts away, she sings a sea shanty about a sailor who ends up selling all of his belongings for booze. Before she's out of sight, you see that she's found Old Bertha's jockey, and is supporting him as they sing together and walk into the night.

7. - Top - End - #37

Oswald 'Oz' Rayleigh
    Human Life CLeric
    PP 15 | PI 15

Oz introduces himself to Jabon and accepts the offer of a room and two meals, providing the barkeep with three silver. He was preparing to warn the the waitress of the unsuitability of her hiding place, when Scoots beat him to it. The kobold was a good sort and showed that all the rumours of their bad ways are just that, rumours.

He continued to enjoy the festivities and listen intently to Lizzy talking about the way rum was created. He had always maintained an interest in the growing of natural things and decided to try the technique on his own garden when he returned home.

At her mention of what time to leave, he chimed in "I can work with whatever is necessary, but my powers are greatest just after dawn. I would suggest that the earlier we leave, the better." and left the rest in his new companions hands.

He proceeded to slowly drink and mingle with the crowd, getting to know the people of the town. Shortly after sundown, he bid everyone goodnight and headed to bed, stumbling slightly from intoxication. As the sun rose the next day, so did Oz as he turned to the dawn and began to pray for his days spells.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Tashiro Shoku, Half Elf Kozakuran Paladin
    AC: 16 | HP: 12
    Passive Perception: 13 | Passive Insight: 13
    Conditions: None.

Shoku listened as Oswald-san spoke of this Lathandar, intrigued by certain similarities that seemed to exist between his spiritual patron and the Kozakuran Paths of Enlightenment. Then, as the cleric ceased speaking, Shoku nodded, "Thank you Oswald-san, for explaining your belief, and your faith. I hope to witness the character of Lathandar through the actions of one so devoted to his teachings. Perhaps on our travels, this humble servant may educate you on the teachings of Shou-long and the Way of Enlightenment."

Shoku's train of thought was interrupted as Elizabeth-ko asked the table for a final round of food, which he politely waved off. "The steamed rice and fish are enough for me, though I am most appreciative of your generosity." Then Oswald stood up to a rousing cheer, Shoku stood up, raising his cup, loudly declaring a phrase in his native tongue, "Ichi man-ken ikiru!" He noted his companions stares, so he repeated in an accented Thorassian, "To live ten thousand years!"

As the party began to disperse, Jabron approached the table, offering rooms to those that needed. Shoku did not interrupt, as such would be considered rude. However, once the Innkeep returned to the counter, and his other patrons, Shoku spoke softly, "There are rooms above Nakahari's Teahouse in my people's quarters, as offered for your assistance with this endeavor."

The party began to disband, before they did, Shoku bowed to each in turn, "Meet me at the southernmost gates of the Kozakuran Quarter at dawn, we will leave on foot, I will acquire the services of a guide, unless Keem-shah thinks they can more unerringly guide us beneath the canopy of the Penninsula's interior."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Keem Shah
    Lizardfolk Druid

If you are concerned about the council finding out about our expedition, I would not suggest adding a guide from outside. I feel Bejik Earenk shall suffice as an assistant scout, I know the area well. simply states.

And I am pretty safe in assuming his god was known as Lathander, though he seemt not insulted by that.
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-06-23 at 11:21 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40

DruidGirl

Shoku, Shellface, Scoots begin their way to the Kozakura quarter. The night streets outside the primary defenses of the city push narrow in areas and the group can see the race track barriers haven't been removed yet. As the small group turns a corner everyone sees a man standing in the middle. He is joined by five other men and they block the path.

Shoku would recognize the man in the middle as Yoskiro Tsuruchi. His head slowly turns toward the group, "Evening, Tashiro Shoku. Kimoto Shima noticed your abrupt exit today." He pauses and looks at Scoot in disgust, "I see you have yourself another distasteful pet." Tsuruchi looks back to Shoku, "What were you doing at Jabon's establishment tonight?"

The men surrounding Tsuruchi are equipped with wooden swords and Tsuruchi is holding a studded wooden mace. They aren't holding their weapons, but a few of the novices have their hands on the hilts of their wooden swords.

Lizzybeth walks in the opposite direction of the Kozakura district with the man singing up a happy storm. As you approach an entrance to the docks the rider is noticed by a group of riders, "Tyress! TYRESS! Here he is!" They rush over and look you over, "We have been looking for him." Tyress seems instantly happy to see his friends. He pats your head and reaches into his bag of coins and pulls out 5 gold and hands it to you, "Thanks for the walk."

You walk quietly to your grandmother's house. She is already asleep, but over an almost dead set of embers is a small pot of stew.

Spoiler: Violence/Murder in the City
    Show

Shoku and Shellface understand the fact you are not to kill people in the city unless you have a sanctioned purchased from the Merchant Prince(ss)
    Jessamine. You are put to death if murder someone without a sanction.

Violence in the city is frowned upon if it is dangerous. There is a type of judicial system. Most often the punishment ranges from humiliation or hard labor to expulsion from the city.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Keem Shah
    Lizardfolk Druid

Keem immediately tenses up. The spear he uses as a walking stick, but has always on the ready is still kept relaxed, but the lizardfolk immediately focusses the leader of the group, then Shoku. He was in charge of this group and he knew these ruffians, so this was his issue to solve. Keem would fight for him, if it came to it, but he would not initiate anything.

He raises an arm to signal Scoots to keep back. He felt if it came to it, the rogue was far more effective at range.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Shoku snarled, "Tashiro Shoku-san, you forget your place Tsuruchi. Because you are inked in Kimoto-san's family crest does not elevate your status, nor allow you the right to speak to your betters as though an equal." He took a step forward, invading the older man's personal space, his chest chest and shoulders a bare inch from the older man's sun-bronzed skin. Tsuruchi's mace needed room to be hefted, and Shoku's scabbard was worn on his left hip, to be drawn by his right hand, by moving close to his opponent he denied him the space to effectively wield his weapon, while allowing himself to drawn and thrust the pommel into the scout's mid-section, before clearing the scabbard and beheading him. He paid close attention to his compatriots positioning as he would need to work clear should weapons be drawn.

"Kimoto-san, is concerned for my well being. Please inform him that I am sincerely grateful. However, I shall be departing for the interior on the morrow." His eyes didn't leave Tsuruchi's, "Your patron and I are of a like mind, we wish to elevate our community's status within the Nyanzaru, however, we disagree on which family best represents the interests, and the honor, of the Kozakuran people." A pause, his hard, cold eyes, burrowing into his opponent's spirit, "Should you wish to discuss the matter further, we can do so tomorrow when we are sufficiently removed from Nyanzaru that our discorse would not interrupt the our host's, Merchant Prince Jessamine's, contemplations."

He stepped back, bowed, ever so slightly, and continued to walk towards his destination, Nakahari's Teahouse.

Spoiler: Out of Character Actions
    Show
    Invading his personal space, refusing to use an honorific for Tsuruchi, and acting with disregard for his show force, is attempting to cow the older scout. So I feel an intimidate check would be appropriate, rolling Intimidate, +5, (1d20+5)[8], and lets see how this goes. We have no need of him as Keem Shah has assured me we are good for scouting and trailblazing to our objective, so I have left him with the option to have a duel should he wish to follow us into the Peninsula.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Bejik "Scoots" Earenk
    Kobold Rogue

Scoots tenses at the initial sight of the ruffians and relaxed slightly when it's clear they know Shoku, then grits his teeth at the slight. The frill on the back of his head begins to rise before he notices Keem-Shah's glance. As he watches the half-elf confront the leader, he takes a more subservient stance; he may not have understood their culture, but he was a kobold and recognized a power play when he saw one. He'd have to back Shoku up and that meant not rising to the insult. If the warrior got them out without a fight, that was even better; he'd prove the challenger too fearful even with the numbers to back him up.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

14. - Top - End - #44

DruidGirl

Everyone meets just outside one of the main gates of Port Nyanzaru. Shoku would check the five gourds of insect repellant. He had convinced the quartermaster of the Kozakura quarter to provide the group with some protections against the diseased swarms of bugs in the jungle. Though as the group moves their way towards the mouth of the river the sea air keeps much of the bugs from bothering the group for now.

After 15 minutes of walking you spot an old man fishing at the mouth of the river. He sees the group approaching and reels in his line.

The ferryman looks the group over with a curious and questioning stare, "It's two silver if you want to be taken to the other side. That is two silver each." He says and steps onto his boat. Shoku offers the ferryman the toll and the group is smoothly ferried across, "Careful not to die." He calls and starts to push off from the makeshift dock on this side.

The jungle lay on the other end of a large clearing, but the further you get from the sea, the more the bugs and humidity start to really become apparent. It isn't long before the group is slapping at the arms. The jungle has a few places one can enter and there is a makeshift sign marking an opening in the jungle as the way to Mbala.

The group gathers outside the jungle and has a chance to prepare the push into the untamed wilds of Chult.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Keem Shah
    Lizardfolk Druid

Feeling much more at ease in the jungle, or at least away from the bustling city, Keem-Shah relaxes and enjoys the humid hot weather. They rub their scales together to mush some insects before snacking on them. Their taste is a bitter sensation but they are gone and help feed them in the meantime. If you find any tracks of other bipeds, small or large, tell me. The wisdom of Semuanya will take us to them, for they will look for us, I assume. Remember what I said about the goblins. They ambush and attack with collapsing battle stacks, drowning a single combatant in a sea of goblin bites, knives and spears.

Can someone check the vicinity for monsters as I track the way?

With that, Keem advances, half walking, half slinking. They should press on, every hour in the jungle was dangerous for such a large group. They were not exactly the fastest hunters nor the strongest, and loud enough to get detected by everything. But if Semuanya was on their side, and the others were as skilled as they claimed, this could work out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival (1d20+5)[19] or [1d20+5[/roll] if advantage through help.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizzybeth Fasten
    Halfling Wizard

Spoiler: The rest of Lizzybeth's night
    Show
    Carefully delivering Tyress to his friends, Lizzy sends him off, saying "Give Ol Bertha my best!" Addressing the rest of the riders, she yells "Well done on the track, it was an honor seeing you all race. Good luck next week fellas!" Whistling the rest of the way home, she quiets her approach as she reaches the sailor's district on the north end of town.
    Taking a break by the docks, she stands for a minute to listen to the harbor sounds- water splashing, wood creaking, boats gently nudging their moorings as they drifted in and out- oblivious to the confrontation on the other side of town.
    Finding her family's ship, she hopped on board and spent 15 minutes repairing a net that had been badly torn by a swordfish the previous day, while her mind wandered through the jungles of Chult and into thoughts of adventure that the next day might hold.

Finishing the work, she hopped back onto the dock and made her way home, quietly slipping through the door and into her grandmother's house. Several of her siblings lay snoring on the floor, and she tiptoed around them to the stew, slurping as quietly as she could as she took one last read through the spells in her book as she prepared for the next day.

Lizzybeth starts her day by returning to the Thundering Lizard. Buying a morning meal, the local specialty of oven-baked fish stuffed with roe and milt and wrapped in fresh kelp, she sits down to eat and waits for Oz to come downstairs into the tavern. When she sees him arrive, she jumps up on her bench and waves him over, summoning up a miniature version of his holy symbol in her hand to help catch his attention.
    "Praise be to your morning, Oz! Here's to Mister Lathander blessing our trip today, I'm sure we'll have our fair share of hairy scares once we cross the river." She sits with him as he eats his own breakfast and gets ready for the day. With a careful look, she asks, "Any more dreams last night? Or any other omens or suchlike? There's plenty of future-see-ers in town, but none of em have visions worth more'n my spit. You seem a little different tho!" she adds cheerfully.

Arriving at the gates, she greets the rest of the traveling party with a grin. "Look at us, all ready for a journey into the wilds!" Still dressed in her oversized sailor's coat, the only big change to Lizzybeth's wardrobe is the addition of a javelin strapped across her back, although a closer look might show you that her jacket seems to be sagging with quite a bit more weight than it was yesterday.
    Turning to Scoots, she says "I know you don't bother to learn the names of towns you won't spend much time in, but I have a feeling we'll be back in Port Nyanzaru before too long with a hell of a tale to tell."

As Shoku pays the ferryman, Lizzybeth offers him thanks for funding their journey. "I know we're all free hands on this journey, but I sure appreciate you helping us along here!"
    Feeling the spray of the salt water with each bob of the boat, Lizzy pulls out of her coat a fishing rod made of short, springy wood. Bracing herself astern, she casts out a few times during their short journey, partly out of practicality but mostly out of habit.
    As they reach the entrance to the jungle, she takes some of the insect repellant if offered by Shoku, and makes sure to cover every piece of skin she can reach. "Keem-Shah, will we be seeing any of your fellow Kekwalah on our journey? If we do, maybe they can help us fight off any of these goblins that might try and take a piece of us," she says as she dramatically stabs the air with a dagger.

Show
    Rolling Dex (1d20+3)[10] or Survival (1d20-1)[12] to see if I catch any fish!
    Once we get to the jungle, Lizzybeth is alert and looking for footprints and humanoids, but at the same time is trying to take in as much of the new scenery as possible. She's definitely keeping an eye out for some interesting plants that she might pick if she finds any. Perception (1d20+1)[13] for keeping her eyes open, and Nature (1d20+2)[20] to try and find some cool flora.

17. - Top - End - #47

Oswald 'Oz' Rayleigh
    Human Life CLeric
    PP 15 | PI 15

As the two sat having breakfast, Oz couldn't help but smile at Lizzy's enthusiasm. There was a darkness in his eyes though. He had dreamt of her again last night and it ended the same way, and he told her as such. Whatever future he was seeing, it hadn't been prevented yet.

After they crossed the river he offered a small blessing to the boatman as an aid on his journey back and followed as Keem lead them to the edge of the jungle. It was an extraordinary sight. It brought up memories of his childhood in the forest, but this was somehow... different. Even more wild.

When Keem finished his warning about the area, Oz leaned down to a small plant just starting to bud from the ground, whispering an ancient druidic phrase and then gently breathing on it. The tiny life took hold and began to grow, sprouting small purple berries as it did. He promptly plucked these and handed them out.

"These are a special form of magic produced by the union of Chantea and Lathander. Their love makes the spell that creates them more potent than usual, though they still only last a single day. If you are injured, eat one and it will nourish your body while also restoring the injuries you have taken to normal."

He then proceeds give a short prayer to Lathander and look around the area as suggested.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Guidance on the ferryman, just in case he needs it.

Then casting Goodberry, which creates 10 berries which each restore 4 hp instead of the usual 1 thanks to my Life Cleric feature. Its enough for 2 each, though they only last 24 hours.

I finally cast guidance on myself and look around (1d20+5)[16] + (1d4)[2] perception 18

I'm just assuming that the dream remains for now, though I can edit that if its wrong.
    Last edited by Darth_Versity; 2020-06-28 at 03:38 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Bejik "Scoots" Earenk
    Kobold Rogue

Scoots is eager to leave the city after their encounter the previous evening. Though the morning sun is harsh for the eyes of a kobold, he knows they'll soon be under the boughs of jungle trees and attempts to keep his anxiousness and annoyance in check. He gives Oz a nod as he approaches with Lizzybeth Ready for the road? I'm glad to not be taking a boat again. Things have just stopped moving of their own accord. He grins at the halfling's prediction Any city that can get me work that fast is worth remembering

As they begin to make their way through the jungle itself, he assists as he can with Keem-Shah's tracking and survival skill. Scoots was used to working through enemy camps and fortifications, though his fellows in the scouting band he was in had more experience with the wilds themselves. Scoots kept an eye on what the lizardfolk looked for, hoping to learn from their insights.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Shoku woke early, and prepared himself for his journey, venturing to the bathhouse to steam and soak before the trip inland. It was still early enough that no other bathers were present as he poured a ladle of water upon the heated stones suffusing the small room which contained the oaken bath in a cleansing steam. He half expected to see Kimoto-san or his accomplices at the bathhouse to receive another warning, similar to last evenings engagement, he found, oddly, that he was disappointed when he did not.

He returned to his quarters, where, using razor and steel mirror he carefully shaved his jaw, proceeded then to oil and tie his hair in a formal top knot, small clothes, sandals, obi and robe. He brought out his weapons, almost reverently, intoning a prayer of devotion to his ancestors as he cleaned, oiled and tamped his blade before sheathing it in a lacquered scabbard. He donned a linen surcoat, a laminate hauberk, helm, bracers and greaves, thrusting his katana through his obi, and his naginata through it's sheath, he ensured his sandals were tied tightly and proceeded through the Port to the southern gate which led to the interior.

He saw his companions and bowed, his helmet he carried at his hip, instead wearing a wide brim woven hat to keep the sun from his eyes. "The sun has risen, and so our journey begins. Allow me to offer my humble thanks that you, my most skilled companions, have agreed to aid me on this endeavour for the betterment of the Kozakuran Quarter." He turned to Oswald-san, hoping to request of him a prayer to his patron, Lathander, to bless this undertaking, however, as he did so the young man spoke. He accepted the offered blessing with two hands, as he bowed, lifting the gift above his head, "My thanks, both to you, Oswald-san, and to your patron, Lathander, the Lord of Morning." He looked to the rising sun, the steam from the verdent jungle blurring the blazing orb. "An auspicious start, to an auspicious day."

He then proceeded to distribute the concoction he had obtained, that would protect them from the stinging swarms that would soon descend on them.

20. - Top - End - #50

DruidGirl

Everyone moves close to the jungle and after applying a salve it is approachable otherwise the blood-thirsty insects are attracted to anyone unlucky enough not to be wearing the salve.

Shellface looks up with a confused look at the sign pointing towards Mbala. This sign has clearly been moved as recently as this morning. Shellface reaches looks down and can tell around six hours ago 6 to 7 men had gone down this path. Shellface would also know the correct path to take to get to Mbala.

Oswald peers into the jungle but spots nothing out of the ordinary. If there were any creatures or wildlife besides the insects they have run off at the group's approach.

Lizzybeth would've reeled in a small fish and if had more time could have used it for bait, but it was best left to grow up a bit more. Once at the jungle's entrance Lizzybeth notices a plant nestled against a tree. It grows at an odd angle from the tree and is the most brilliant azure color. You also find two mature bytter nut pods hanging low on the tree.

Lizzybeth harvests two feather skin petals and collects two bytter nut pods.

Spoiler: Feather Skin Petals
    Show

By placing a petal on the tongue, it dissolves and rids the body of all diseases.

Spoiler: Bytter Nuts
    Show

When these small nuts are crushed and rubbed into an open wound, the compound heals 1d6 HP.

Shoku and Scoots follows the group remaining on guard as the rest of the party gets an understanding of where they are and how best to begin a trek into the dense foliage.
    Last edited by ncpunkin; 2020-06-30 at 01:32 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Keem Shah
    Lizardfolk Druid

Not wanting to fool their friends into following him, Keem-Shah stops at the original sign post, and shows the others the sign's previous hole. Someone moved the sign, and six or seven guys went the wrong way, likely an ambush. Do you want to follow them, or keep with our mission to check on Mbala? It would be useful to know who moved the sign.

Shellface also notices Lizzybeth's newly found herbs. You have a well-trained eye, my small friend. These will be useful. With Shoku's excessive praise, the lizard just rolls their eyes and proceeds.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizzybeth Fasten
    Halfling Wizard

Lizzybeth takes her newly found herbs, and carefully tucks them into an outside breast pocket of her jacket. The breadth of foliage and flora here is fascinating, but she knows that we have come to this jungle on a mission. If someone's setting up an ambush for us, and they're even trying to lead us away from our goal, I say we go the other way." Squinting in the direction of the possible ambush, she asks, "Do we have any idea who might be setting up a trap for us? If it even is for us, and not some other poor sap without a handy guide," she says with a nudge towards Keem-Shah.

When Keem-Shah mentions her herbs, she smiles bashfully at them. "Can't say my eyes've been trained in any way, just a little bit of luck on my side."

Turning back to the false path through the jungle, she asks, What if the people traveling that way have been fooled as well? We might be the only people who could help them. Plus, if it's an ambush, maybe we can sneak around them and get the drop on 'em as they're spread out!"

Show
    If Lizzybeth doesn't know what the nuts & petals do, she will ask Keem-Shah for clarification.

When it comes to deciding which way to go, being aware of the dangers this forest holds, Lizzy is going to push for just sticking to the path towards Mbala; however, if the decision is otherwise, she will go along and suggest the reverse ambush tactic.

Either way, before they leave, she will make sure the sign is in it's proper place.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Bejik "Scoots" Earenk
    Kobold Rogue

Nice catch. I say we continue on to Mbala and keep an eye out for an ambush. Scoots will help fix the sign, if possible.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

24. - Top - End - #54

Oswald 'Oz' Rayleigh
    Human Life CLeric
    PP 15 | PI 15

"Hmm. I do not like the implications of getting caught up in an ambush, which is the likely outcome of going the wrong way. However, the possibility that this has already caught others does concern me."

Oz scratched his stubble in the awkward way he always did when he had a hard choice to make. "I would prefer to check the wrong route and deal with the situation head on, but I will not argue if everyone disagrees with me."
    Last edited by Darth_Versity; 2020-07-02 at 04:23 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Keem Shah
    Lizardfolk Druid

Only if you do not make any foolish or rash decisions. You warmbloods tend to act on your empathy rather than logic. Keem coldly points out. If the ambushers are clever enough, they deserve to prosper while the others are consumed by the jungle. I do however have a certain dislike for these goblins, who I assume are behind all this. They are weak enough so they need to work with trickery. The sooner they feed the soil, the better.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival(1d20+5)[7] to check any tracks left around the sign post. Are they all human? If so, how many? If they are human, can I gauge their size (not in game terms, but a hefty 6 foot guy leaves larger and deeper imprints than a frail merchant)?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Shoku bowed his head towards the Priest of Lathander, "Oswald-san, your altruism is noted, and sincerely appreciated, however I invited Tashiro Shoku-san's men to attack us this morning to avoid bathing the streets of Nyanzaru run red with their blood last evening." He took a step on the path towards their destination, "We should be wary of their eventual treachery, for Shoku-san does not wish the respect of the Kozakuran quarter to fall on any, but his own, shoulders. However, I am not willing to give them the advantage by attempting to save them the disgrace of their own failure."

With a sweep of his naginata, he indicated the trail towards Mbala, "Shall we proceed?"

Spoiler: Out of Character Actions
    Show
    OOC: I will make a Perception check to ensure that this isn't a deception of incompetence to conceal an actual ambush, (1d20+3)[23], Shoku is indifferent, but not unwary ...
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2020-07-02 at 06:56 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Oswald 'Oz' Rayleigh
    Human Life CLeric
    PP 15 | PI 15

"Well I may act on empathy but its how our society has managed to function until now. " he replied with a wry grin. "Surely even your cold blood could not ignore the plight of a child or the cries of someone in pain?"

"But, I am happy to agree with you and Tashiro. It is important to keep those who are here safe, even if it has a small chance of leaving others in jeopardy." He holds onto his holy symbol and closes his eyes for a moment. "If those are the footsteps of innocents, then may Tymora watch over them this day."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizzybeth Fasten
    Halfling Wizard

Scoots and Lizzybeth shift the sign back into place, Scoots making sure the base is in position as Lizzy hammers it into place with the hilt of her dagger. The job well done, she watches the rest of the party as we discuss our course of action.

"It sounds like the rest of your night was quite an adventure," she says to Shoku. Stepping towards the correct path to Mbala, she continues, "We're going to be on our own in this jungle, so we need to look out for each other first. If these hooligans are any determined threat, they'll come after us before too long- but we'll be ready for them." So saying, she points her dagger parallel to Shoku's naginata.

As Oz and Keem-Shah continue their moral dialogue, she adds, "I think what Keem means is that sometimes you have to heal the land before you can help the weak. Is that what Semuanya would say in this kind of situation?" She looks between the two of them as she says this. "Empathy might help us in Port Nyanzaru, but I have a feeling things are a little different out here."

Show
    Lizzy is putting on a brave front. She's pretty nervous about exploring a jungle she has little to no experience with, and the idea that people are trying to get the jump on her and her friends is jarring enough on top of that- but she's also not going to let fear shake her hand or stop her from discovering the secrets of Chult. (1d20+0)[17] for Deception/Performance.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Bejik "Scoots" Earenk
    Kobold Rogue
    Ammo: 20 Arrows

Scoots rolls his shoulders after helping replace the post and looks from Lizzy to the big folk Shoku is right, this is probably that thug from last night or his boss. We put the sign back, so no one should lose their way. Given how early we left it's unlikely anyone else has come across this other than the people who already changed it anyway. Besides which, the people who changed it might be interested in Mbala themselves, which means we're losing even more ground just standing around here. We should be ready, but we need to press on. So saying, he draws his bow and gestures towards their destination.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Keem Shah
    Lizardfolk Druid

Your concern is a valid one, Bejik. It could be a simple ruse to abuse your good heart. We should press on the right way. Keem guides them along the destined path to Mbala.
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-07-04 at 04:04 AM.