Conditions: --
    Qaba
    Elf Ranger 2
    AC: 15 HP: 16/21
    PP: 14 PIv: 13 PIs: 14
    Spell Slots:
    1st: 1/2

Jiro shows the writing in the book to Faldar. "I cannot see the thoughts of others, but I can write them down after I meet someone. I just let my hand move freely and the quill writes on its own. The words have no meaning to me. They are the thoughts of Kalashandra as I touched her. Do you think you are the boy? If so, we need to be careful. Do not go to House Urvus willingly. If not you, who could it be?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Raam: The City of Anarchy IC

Faldar Lufi
    Human/Psion (Vitalist) 3
    AC: 13 HP: 27/27
    PP: 13 PIv: 12 PIs: 11
    Speech
    Bontar
    Dwarf/Barbarian 2
    AC: 19 HP: 13/27[
    PP: 14 PIv: 9 PIs: 12
    Speech
    Ptekme
    Thri-kreen/Rogue 1
    AC: 17 HP: 9/10
    PP: 13 PIv: 16 PIs: 13
    Speech

Faldar looks furiously at Kalashandra. "You should be careful whose toes to step on with those threats, Kalashandra. This isn't the arena anymore where you can just solve stuff with violence. But I'll consider this an invitation. Tell Balthazar that I'll be over later today or tomorrow. If only to talk about your abhorrent behaviour and poor excuses to cover up your failed raid."
    He almost startles himself with the angry undertone in his voice. He realizes that he is fed up with scum like this calling the shots in the city. The thought then comes to him, that if he really wants to change this, he'll need to take a more active approach. This is definitely something to talk over with his uncle.

As she walks away he leads the group to Khayrat's mansion. "Come, I got to report to my uncle."
    Last edited by Moranica; 2020-09-08 at 06:13 PM.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

If Kalashandra hears Faldar's furious words, she does not bother to respond as she leaves. There is a bit of an awkward silence among the guards at the gate, who turn back to their watch and try to ignore the drama they'd just seen.

The two guards at Khayrat's residence watch the raider commander leaving tensely, and open up the gate for Faldar and his group as they approach. "Master Faldar, it is good to see you well," the human guard greets him, a bronze scimitar at his side. "Master Khayrat is upstairs, enjoying some tea. You are welcome as always."

The kreen guard watches Faldar's new companions warily and chitters to Ptekme.

Spoiler: Thri-kreen
    Show
    "Are they dangerous?"

Hand raises one of his smaller secondary arms and waves at the guards, evoking an awkward wave back from the human guard and a cautious stare from the kreen.

As the group files inside, they find a few more guards on the ground floor, and another thri-kreen posted up above, on the landing of the second floor. There is a staircase leading up, with a fancy polished wood banister. A rounded door beneath the landing leads to a shorter room below, which Faldar knows to be the servants' quarters. To the right is another door on the first floor, leading to the dining room and kitchen. Upstairs are the sitting room, Khayrat's bedroom, and a guest bedroom.

One of the noble's servants walks forwards and bows to Faldar, recognizing him as the guard did. "Young Master. Is there anything you need?" Compared to the work slaves maintaining the wall outside, the house servants are better dressed, wearing white and green clothing and a humble cloth headdress denoting their caste.

Show
    Doing a bit of an experiment in multi-floor structures. The dark red rooms are used for marking things that are underneath the second floor. The castle/rook symbol, as before with the watchtowers and bridge in the Killers Outpost map, marks those who are on the upper floor.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Faldar Lufi
    Human/Psion (Vitalist) 3
    Speech
    Bontar
    Dwarf/Barbarian 2
    Speech
    Ptekme
    Thri-kreen/Rogue 1
    Speech

Ptekme chitters back to the guard. "They are, but they allies. Keep watching Urvus. Also, this one has no hive." He chits, as to explain the Hand's awkward behavior.

Faldar greets the guards as they enter. He is in a hurry to go talk to his uncle and it shows. "Zantos, Mar Ravoni, please follow me. Bontar, take the others to freshen up. We're going to speak to my uncle. I will come and find you once we know what's up."

He then leads the group upstairs. "Indeed, my friend, trouble may be brewing. I'm going to see my uncle. Please bring some food. We're starving."

5. - Top - End - #275

BlueKnightGuy

Up the clean, carpeted stairs, Faldar leads the group's leaders to his uncle's sitting room. The wooden door is carved with intricate decorative patterns. Opening it up, they find a small, cozy room. There is a couch and a pair of chairs, each made of fine material and forming a border around a low table. Across the table from the couch is a hearth, currently unlit - it won't be needed until the cold desert night hits. The walls are white, while the floors are a light green, and the seating arrangements a darker green. Two doors lead into other rooms, and between them is a shelf adorned with cups and pottery.

A short, portly, bestached man in green and purple robes is seated across two of the three couch cushions, sipping tea from a porcelain cup. Behind the couch stands another household servant holding a teapot on a serving tray. The portly man looks up and smiles widely when Faldar enters. "Faldar, my boy! Good to see you!" He drops his feet back to the floor - or dangling above it at least - and sets down his tea.

He is perhaps the first not to be given pause by Faldar's company, waving all three over. "And you brought some friends. Please, sit - all of you! Would you care for some chilled tea?" He holds up a hand towards the servant, who bows to the guests. "Horace here can pour you some."

Meanwhile below, the servant at the door bows to Faldar as he ascends and sweeps a hand towards the servant's quarters door behind him. "There are a water pump and wash basin in here, if you would like to refresh yourselves. I must see to some food." With the henchmen directed, he bows and shuffles away into the door on the right of the entrance room.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zantos
    Elf Hexblade 3
    AC: 17 HP: 16/26 THP: 0
    PP: 11 PIv: 9 PIs: 9
    Spell Slots, 2nd: 1/2
    OOC
    Jiro
    Elf Rain Cleric 2
    AC: 17 HP: 17/17
    PP:15 PIv:12 PIs:13
    Eye Storm: 3/3
    Chan Divin: 1/1

Spell Slots:
    1st: 1/3

Qaba
    Elf Ranger 2
    Spell Slots:

Zantos sits on the remaining cushion on the couch, first acknowledging the servant, "Some tea would be great, thanks," then offering to shake hands and introducing himself Faldar's uncle, "Zantos, last of the Atoja-Dai, Scourge of the Desert."

Downstairs, Jiro and Qaba clean up and rest, thanking the servant for his help.

Show

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-09-12 at 01:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Faldar Lufi
    Human/Psion (Vitalist) 3
    Speech
    Bontar
    Dwarf/Barbarian 2
    Speech
    Ptekme
    Thri-kreen/Rogue 1
    Speech

Faldar smiles broadly as he approaches his uncle. He was always surprised at how relaxed and welcoming the man was. Quite the contrast with the rest of the city.

"Greetings, uncle. Thank you for receiving me right away. As you know I've set out to pick up Zantos's group here, in which I'm glad I succeeded. During the perils of the trip, he and his crew have proven themselves to be a very welcome addition to our forces. Besides him, there is the Mar Ravoni. Obviously he is one of the prophets. While they may seem unlikely allies, they have proven themselves quite capable. They showed us hospitality at their camp, which led me to return the favor by receiving them here. Frankly speaking, I don't know enough of the prophets to know if our long term goals align, but for now there is enough common ground for us to work together."

He then politely waits for the introductions to be finished, before giving a full report.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lazaar Dargeth
    Dray Defiler Wizard
    AC: 14 HP: 18/18
    PP: 11 PIv: 15 PIs: 11

"Speech."
    Greven Zhov
    Dray Aberrant Mind Sorcerer
    AC: 15 HP: 8/14
    PP: 11 PIv: 11 PIs: 13

Speech.
    Qoheleth
    Dray Silt Cleric
    AC: 17 HP: 15/15
    PP: 12 PIv: 11 PIs: 14
    Conditions: ---

"Speech.".

Mar Ravoni listened to the ordeal, paying attention to where his emissary departed his person. He could speak for himself, though he preferred his messenger to act as mediary. The prophet nodded at Faldar's gracious words and said with an authoritative tone, "Well met, nobleman. We seek a common goal: The end of chaos in the city. The moments arranged to enable us to aid more of your people. We look forward to future collaborations."

9. - Top - End - #279

BlueKnightGuy

"Of course Faldar," as introductions are made, Khayrat smiles widely and twirls the tip of his mustache. The servant retrieves some of the good porcelain and pours out some tea into three cups in front of the eclectic group around the table. Khayrat leans forward and swirls his fingers over the cups, with a murmur of arcane syllables. Magic takes hold and the outsides of the cups frost ever so slightly as the tea is chilled.

Spoiler: Lazaar
    Show
    There are no signs of Defiling upon the room, marking Khayrat as a Preserver.

"So pleased to meet you both, you have my thanks for keeping Faldar safe out there."

A second servant enters from the downstairs door, carrying a tray of fresh carrots, sliced oranges, and a few small sticks of bread. The servant bows and exits soon after.

10. - Top - End - #280

"You would not send him on such a mission if you did not consider the young Lufi resourceful. He fought well against the Krono Killers. Our collaboration bolstered his capacities. "

The prophet gestured toward the tea and remarked, "A fine technique for preparing tea. Where did you come by such a talent?"

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zantos thanks the servant for the food before taking an orange slice and a slice of bread. He balances those in one hand as he takes the chilled tea from Faldar's uncle, smiling as he drinks it, disguising his disesteem that the man didn't introduce himself when given the chance. Zantos can be brash and forward, but he is believes in being nice and treating everyone as equals, especially those of a lower station. He doesn't have much respect for those that judge others based on social status instead of character. But it is a common enough trait in others that he knows how to hide it.

As he eats the food and enjoys the cold tea, he becomes uncharacteristically quiet as he waits for Faldar to explain the situation to his uncle.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

Faldar Lufi
    Human/Psion (Vitalist) 3
    Speech
    Bontar
    Dwarf/Barbarian 2
    Speech
    Ptekme
    Thri-kreen/Rogue 1
    Speech

Faldar seems hesitant before he speaks up. "Uncle, while picking up some new allies, we've also made some new enemies I'm afraid. There's two problems that we should speak about."

He takes a sip of cold tea, before het continues. "While we were meeting with Zantos and his crew, we were attacked by Korno's killers. They've become more audacious I guess. We defeated them and decided to do a preliminary attack on their nearby encampment, to prevent them from harassing us some more. The attack was successful, but word will have reached Korno by now. I believe we will be dealing with him and his chaotic entourage on their initiative, or ours. What would be your advise in this?"

He listens to his uncle's response before he tells of the second problem. "So, along the way, we found an old mutilated man stalking one of those old salt golems, which appeared to be on a rampage. When we finally caught up to the thing, it was in the middle of a large battle between raiders from House Urvus and the elven group in the market. ... We got caught up in the battle and managed to defeat the golem. Problem is, the golem seems to belong to House Urvus, and they purposely set it on the elves. Us defeating the golem, proved sufficient for the elves to come out victorious and defeat the raiders. While this has gained us some of their gratitude, House Urvus was not amused. They say we attacked them and caused their defeat. They want to speak to me tonight, which is understandable, I guess. It doesn't feel very safe to go though. What's your opinion?"

13. - Top - End - #283

BlueKnightGuy

Khayrat sips on his own tea, apparently unaware of his failure to introduce himself. Perhaps so haughty he imagines his reputation precedes him. The portly man smiles widely at Lazaar's compliment and waves a hand widely in the air. "Oh, this? State-sanctioned wizard, when the sanctions meant anything. Hahaha!" He throws back his head and laughs deeply.

"Used to do it the way most do, but all the dust and ashes were just so unseemly. So I figured out how to use a bit more moderation," the man answers cheerily - from the sounds of it, apparently having stumbled out of defiling and into preserving magic on his own.

Listening along to Faldar's story of their encounter with the Killers, Khayrat's mood doesn't seem to sink at all. "You know how those gangers are, Faldar. Get far too big for their britches, and trust me, I know these things." He makes a nudging gesture with his elbow, guffawing at his own self-deprecation. But he calms himself down and leans back, trying to get more serious. "Well, let's see. I'm sure you know I'm not really much of a general. Now, the Vespos mercenary commander, he might be someone to talk to."

The news of his encounter with Urvus is another story, and Khayrat's good humor turns around as his chubby face droops into a frown. "You really might have been better off to leave well enough alone there, my boy." He reaches over and pats Faldar's arm, his face uncharacteristically grim. "See, young Marus was the target of some assassins while you were gone. Some Night Runner elves, as it's told. He's fine, but old Balthazar has been on the warpath against the elves, you see." With one hand, he brushes the tips of his fingers along his mustache, with his eyes shut.

"Balthazar is not mad like his attack dogs though, I assure you. He is not so bold as to attack you here, not with your father having Vespos' other ear."

Below in the servants' quarters, the slave enters with a tray of food. Less glamorous than those provided above - primarily bread and one stick of carrot each - but all the same, welcome calories to refill their tanks. The servant changes the wash basin and replaces it with a clean one.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zantos warms to Faldar's uncle, enjoying his sense of humor. He continues to eat his bread and oranges, going back for seconds and taking a carrot too this time. He continues to seem very comfortable on the couch next to Khayrat.

"Perhaps my friends and I should keep a low profile. There might be some animosity directed at elves here. But I'd like to meet this Vespos," perhaps incorrectly assuming that Vespos is a person's name.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-09-22 at 03:33 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Faldar Lufi
    Human/Psion (Vitalist) 3
    Speech
    Bontar
    Dwarf/Barbarian 2
    Speech
    Ptekme
    Thri-kreen/Rogue 1
    Speech

As his uncle gives his own analysis of the situation, several possibilities start to form in Faldar's head. The news of the assassination attempt shocks him and makes him feel a bit more understanding towards House Urvus. He wonders for a moment whether or not he judged them to quickly.

"Thank you uncle. Your wisdom helps me a lot. I will talk to Vespos for sure about Krono and his gang tomorrow. As for the news about the young Marcus. That is unfortunate indeed. Had I known this, I might have shown them more sympathy. On the other hand, raiding people always has its consequences, short or long term. I guess I will see Balthazar tonight then. I guess I will go alone, taking Bontar and Ptekme as bodyguards. I don't want to antagonize them by bringing unfamiliar faces. But for now, let's eat and regain some of our strength. We will need it in the coming days."
    Last edited by Moranica; 2020-09-21 at 05:54 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286

Lazaar Dargeth
    Dray Defiler Wizard

"Speech."
    Greven Zhov
    AC: 15 HP: 14/14

Speech.
    Qoheleth
    Dray Silt Cleric

"Speech.".

Mar Ravoni studied the portly nobleman and replied, "How remarkable. I would enjoy hearing how you came to such a profound discovery. Does how Lufi retain many of your station since the unraveling?"

The veiled prophet carefully slipped his food and cup under his layers to partake of the chilled chai and meal. Besides the small comment concerning the sorcerers of Raam, he found it wiser to allow the nobles to chatter. For now, the dray would watch and listen as his servants did in the other parts of the house. Access to this district stood as a victory unto itself. Whether House Lufi would thrive or not against Urvus hung as a question, and the prophet did not yet see which way the Silt stirred.
    Last edited by Theophilus; 2020-09-22 at 03:25 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287

BlueKnightGuy

Khayrat chuckles at Zantos' misconception and corrects him quietly, "House Vespos, friend. They employ a mercenary company." Leaning back in his seat, the nobleman watches the Mar Ravoni partake of the food. He quirks an eyebrow at the extra care not to reveal his face.

"Your companions are free to stay with me while you go see old Balthazar if you wish, we would have plenty of time to chat then," Khayrat offers, with a grin to the Mar Ravoni.

"I have only the one guest bedroom, I'm afraid. So unless they'd care to share the same bed, someone will have to sleep on the couch!" he pats the soft fabric of the furnishing. From what Zantos can tell sitting in it, it's far from the most uncomfortable place he's slept.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zantos nods his head as Khayrat explains about House Vespos and their mercenaries.

"While this couch is soft and tempting, I don't need a bed. I'll go down and find my friends. Wherever they are sleeping will be fine with me. Faldar, sir, if it's ok with you, I'll be downstairs with the others if you need anything. Khayrat, thank you for the dinner and tea. Have a good evening gentlemen."

He then gets up to leave, waiting slightly for permission or an order to the contrary, and to see what Lazaar is planning to do.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-09-24 at 10:02 AM.

19. - Top - End - #289

Lazaar Dargeth
    Dray Defiler Wizard

"Speech."
    Greven Zhov

Speech.
    Qoheleth
    Dray Silt Cleric

"Speech.".

Mar Ravoni settled his chai cup onto the table and replied politely, "I thank you for your generosity with your time. I would like to continue our conversation, and I have no compunction against your hospitality, noble preserver Khayrat."

He looked to Faldar and Zantos saying, "If you require my presence, emissary Greven would gladly convey any messages."

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

Faldar Lufi
    Human/Psion (Vitalist) 3
    Speech
    Bontar
    Dwarf/Barbarian 2
    Speech
    Ptekme
    Thri-kreen/Rogue 1
    Speech

Faldar agrees at the proposals his allies make. He stays a while longer, hesitant to tackle the meeting with House Urvus. He chats a bit, has some food, and finally gets up. "Better get this over with then. I'll check back in with the outcome. Perhaps ask father to join us as well, afterwards."

After refreshing a bit, he'll get Bontar and Ptekme and heads over.
    Last edited by Moranica; 2020-09-26 at 06:58 AM.

21. - Top - End - #291

BlueKnightGuy

Seeing Faldar and Zantos off with a nod, Khayrat bids them farewell as they go their own ways. "Be well, Faldar - and a restful night to you, Zantos." With the casual conversation and pleasantries finished, Khayrat rewinds to the Mar Ravoni's earlier questions.

"Now, what was it then. Wondering at my remarkable discovery, or such," the nobleman laughs lightly. "Well, noble children in the city are - or were, I suppose - tested for any predisposition towards learning magic. To recruit defilers for Raam's army. I had a certain knack for arcane formulae, so I was apprenticed and trained." He trails off a bit, skipping over the details of his training. From the rolling of his hand he just doesn't seem to think it's all that interesting.

"So anyways, it felt so inconvenient trying to warm something up, or clean a couch with magic, only to have to clean up a bunch of ugly grey dust or replace withered floorboards. I started holding back when drawing out power, and that was a lot harder than I thought it would be," he purses his lips in a small frown. "Some mix of annoying and uncomfortable. Like trying to intentionally move in slow motion. And you don't get that rush you usually get from magic."

---

Meanwhile, downstairs, Zantos finds the others gathered in the bunk room. Between the house slaves and the guests there aren't quite enough beds, so some blankets have been laid out on the floor as well.

Hand is unable to converse very well with any of the others, and is looking out the window at the property fence, and the wall beyond. Thri-kreen don't exactly sleep, so that's one less spot to worry about.

---

Departing from his uncle's residence, Faldar makes his way east, then turns north to arrive at the House Urvus estate. There are a few smaller buildings nearby as quarters for servants, slaves and others in the House's direct employ - but the raiders are relegated to a different less used area of the noble district, where they squat in camps and formerly nice houses under careful supervision.

Some guards with simple leather armor and clubs are on patrol and keeping watch. As he gets nearer to the gate of the Urvus patriarch's manor, he can see a woman with dark hair and light clothing waiting expectantly. "Faldar Lufi," she says, with a curt bow that seems largely out of obligation. "Lord Balthazar is waiting for you inside." She glances to his bodyguards, eying them as the guards unlock and open the gate.

"No weapons inside. Please leave your arms and armor with me," she says, then looks at Ptekme's claws. "No beasts inside. Your bug can wait outside as well."

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Faldar Lufi
    Human/Psion (Vitalist) 3
    Speech
    Bontar
    Dwarf/Barbarian 2
    Speech
    Ptekme
    Thri-kreen/Rogue 1
    Speech

Faldar approaches the woman with his back straight, and radiating confidence. As she invited him inside he thanks her, but then stops at the request of disarmament. He nods at Bontar to hand over his large maul, but takes offense at her dismissal of Ptekme.

"Don't insult Ptekme, as part of my entourage that would be directly insulting me, woman. He is as worth as much as any of us. If I wanted him to harm any of your House, you wouldn't see him coming, so let's not play pretend here. I'm not here to fight, I'm here to talk. Both Bontar and Ptekme are coming with me, as they are my entourage, but they can stay at the entrance of the room if you want. That means they won't go near Balthazar. I'm sure you'll have guards present as well, to ensure our safety."

"As for the sake of common decency, I won't undress my armor."

He then proceeds, pushing his higher social standing he seems that deem the issue decided. As they walk past, Bontar tosses her his heavy maul. "I want it back, you better not lose it. And as to armor, true warriors don't need armor." Bontar says, while flexing some muscles.
    Last edited by Moranica; 2020-09-29 at 02:39 PM.

23. - Top - End - #293

BlueKnightGuy

The woman accepts the maul, barely able to drag it over to the wall to lean it there. She affixes Faldar with a dire glare as he marches past, insisting on bringing Ptekme with him. "You will insult Lord Bathlazar by disregarding his rules in his own home." The woman watches Ptekme carefully for sudden movements.

However Faldar decides to enter, he finds the main entry and sitting room beyond. The manor is wider than his uncle's, though only single story - unless it has a basement he cannot see. The entry door is flanked by windows allowing light to fall upon potted indoor plants, which looks surprisingly healthy.

To his right, Faldar sees the thin, bearded Balthazar sitting in one of a ring of seats around a stone firepit, tentatively lit as the evening chill approaches. A chimney pipe above allows smoke to escape.

To Balthazar's right is Kalashandra, the wild-looking elf's predatory eyes marking Faldar and his entourage, watching for sudden movements. To Balthazar's left, seated in a pair of chairs, are two others. One Faldar recognizes as the bard from earlier that day, and the other's similar garb suggests he is likewise of that profession.

"I did not expect you to come," Balthazar speaks in a steady voice, hands folded on his lap in front of him, on his dark red robes.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Faldar Lufi
    Human/Psion (Vitalist) 3
    Speech
    Bontar
    Dwarf/Barbarian 2
    Speech
    Ptekme
    Thri-kreen/Rogue 1
    Speech

Leaving his bodyguards at the door, Faldar approaches the circle of chairs. He selects one opposite from Balthazar and sits down, without any formal greeting. "And rightfully so, because of the brunt and insulting way your right hand woman invited me. I did not plan to come after that, but then my uncle told me of an assassination attempt on Marus by the nightrunners. With whome we've had a run in earlier today." Faldar says, nodding to the bards. "So I realized some of the emotions behind the invitation were quite high, and therefore I am here to talk."

Faldar eyes the group warily. He is about to complain about the further insults provided by the woman at the door, but thinks the better of it. These are the likes of people House Urvus puts up with. And not a level Faldar himself would stoop to. "So, you want to talk about the raid I presume? I did not want any part of the raid, on neither side of it. However, I did take a contract on the rampaging golem. Of course, at the time we didn't know it was part of House Urvus plan or we would have discussed with you. Nonetheless, the thing nearly cost the lives of two of my men, so I don't hope your planning on letting loose any more of those on the city."

25. - Top - End - #295

Lazaar Dargeth
    Dray Defiler Wizard

"Speech."
    Greven Zhov

Speech.
    Qoheleth
    Dray Silt Cleric

"Speech.".

Mar Ravoni listened attentively, or at least his veiled face remain fixed upon Khayrat, "Preservation sounds tedious. How did the arcanists of Raam take to your findings?"

Meanwhile, Greven continued to study the patterns of the servants, their mannerisms, and their attire. He would give the Mar Ravoni a full report once he rejoined him. He impatiently awaited the opportunity to mentally reconnect to his master. He should be in the nobleman's chambers, sipping cold chai as Zantos mentioned, and sinking into soft cushions. The emissary enjoys the fruits of the master's affluence without his responsibilities. For now, the voice of the prophets contented himself with the fare provided and supped with Qoheleth.

Qoheleth also studied the area and activity. For the priest, the concern resided with security. The vicar knew the hazards of the Silt, the chaos of greater Raam, and the factions that lay outside the walls. The noble district seemed more stable in design and yet fraught with the same sectarian struggles. He pondered if Lufi was the right house to side with, but the Silt shifted the prophets' paths with theirs. If the Grey provides, who was the Vicar of Dust to question the road to Raam's aristocracy?

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zantos
    Elf Hexblade 3
    OOC
    Jiro
    Elf Rain Cleric 2

Spell Slots:

Qaba
    Elf Ranger 2
    Spell Slots:

Zantos finds the other elves staying with the house slaves. He finds a place to sleep on the floor leaving the beds for the prophets. Like always, he spends his time getting to know the people around him, regardless of their station. He asks the house slaves about their lives, "So what is it like working for House Lufi? Do they treat you well? How did you come about working for them? How do you spend your days?" He also tells them the stories of the Atoja-dai and their destruction and how he, Qaba and Jiro have survived as pirates of the desert for the past several years.

Qaba and Jiro help the slaves with any minor injuries or ailments they might have and participate in the conversations whenever Zantos lets them get a word in.

Show

27. - Top - End - #297

BlueKnightGuy

Balthazar regards Faldar coolly, watching his face closely. "I assure you, Kalashandra is not me 'right hand woman'. She is my son's bodyguard, and rightfully diligent in pursuing those responsible for the threat on his life." His bony hands unfurl in his lap, his thin face eerie across the flickering embers of a kindled fire as he reaches down and plucks up a fire poker. With it he stokes the flames, a wave of warmth dispelling the cool hair drawn in through the door when Faldar's entourage entered.

"Our Houses have never... seen eye to eye. I commend your level head, coming here despite the tensions," he continues, as he lay the poker down once more beside the fire pit and leans back in his heat. "Gaius, speak your piece," his tone becomes more authoritative, impelling one of the two bards to sit up straighter. Faldar thinks it's the one he saw there.

"Of course, my lord! As per your orders, we led the rampant golem to the Night Runners' pub. As it drew the elves' attention and fire, our troops surrounded the tavern and closed in from all angles," the man's pointed beard turns towards Faldar, dipping into a scowl. "When the Lufi warband arrived I announced us and asked if he was there to help. Instead, several elves that were with him began cutting down my men, and cultists in his tow distracted the golem." Gaius looks aside to his companion, who resumes where he left off.

"The elves who were distracted by the golem were freed up to fight our troops, while House Lufi engaged the golem. Though we took many of them, we lost almost all of the raiders and one of our clerics. The survivors had to retreat."

Gaius cuts in again, "The bug-man there came right for me. Tried to jump on me, but the fool beast fell through a tent," he points across the room at Ptekme. "The Lufi boy must've sicced it on me!"

As the two finish their tale, Balthazar nods slowly and pans his view back to Faldar, unblinking. "If not, then you should keep a tighter leash on your... retainer." The distaste in his voice is audible, even if he avoids using an outright slur. "The way my men describe it, your interference was all too deliberate. And while I am aware that any mercenary may happen to be an elf -" he glances aside at Kalashandra, whose eyes remain glued on Bontar and Ptekme, "- the 'cultists' raise some concerns. With which cult have you begun trucking, young lord Faldar?"

"Tedious - but clean!" Khayrat chuckles, kicking back and folding one leg over the other - barely. "Sadly, many think the same thing of it. The trend never caught on. Ah well! They can make a mess of their own property."

The house slaves appear to be in fairly good health, as Jiro examines them on their breaks. One of them seems to be finished for the day and unwraps his cloth shoes, leaning back to lie on his bunk. "Ay, could be worse def'ly, def'ly had worse," he chatters away to Zantos, answering his inquiries. "Most of us been bought, same as usual. Me, parents were slaves, I'm a slave, wife's a slave, son's ah... complicated." The human man folds his hands behind his head. "Lufi treats us pretty fine. Def'ly better'n most. Lets us marry - never slaves from other Houses, spies and such. My boy's in the school cross the way. Got a touch o' psychic something, somehow - neither me or the mother got a psychic bone in our body. So he might end up 'igher up in the rankings, Lufi-servin' freeman psion."

"Usually, Lord Khayrat has us cleaning, cooking, chores. House slave stuff. Easy work - don't envy manual laborers, like the wall patchers."

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Faldar Lufi
    Human/Psion (Vitalist) 3
    Speech
    Bontar
    Dwarf/Barbarian 2
    Speech
    Ptekme
    Thri-kreen/Rogue 1
    Speech

Faldar listens intently to the bard story. But when the man starts accusing him directly and even calls him 'Lufi boy' his face clearly darkens. He looks at the man angrily, before reigning in his feelings and switching to Balthazar. He taps on his arms as he sits there with crossed arms, waiting for his turn to speak.

"I assure you, Balthazar, there was nothing deliberate in our coming across you men. Most of this buffoons story pans out, except for the part of the golem. The whole issue was that after it was occupied by only a couple of elves, it threatened myself and my men. While it was my intention to stop this rampaging thing, I had not before that moment realized how dangerous it could be. I asked your bard for help, and he flat out refused and ignored me. Only a little bit later, when I realized that he was most likely the one controlling the golem, I send Ptekme to take him out. Hoping to slow the golem. In the end, we managed to overcome it and did not interfere with the rest of the battle. I can't help but wonder, little bard, what would have happened if that thing had killed me. Because it was your men that introduced the danger to the city."

Faldar then takes several deep breaths to calm down again. Not look at the bard again, he looks at Balthazar. "The cultists huh, yeah, they're an interesting bunch. We met them the day before, when we were attack by Krono's gang. We decided to travel together for safety, which was just as well, or that golem would have killed me. They belong to the prophets. I assume you've heard of 'm?"

29. - Top - End - #299

BlueKnightGuy

"Why would you think I was commanding the golem?" the bard asks in disbelief. "That thing's been loose in the city for a - must be a month now! We had a plan to get rid of it and the elves in one move, till you showed up. Not my fault you ran in and attacked it."

Though Balthazar does nothing to stop the bard from talking, he raises a hand to shush him after he is finished. "I have heard of them, yes. I think it would be foolish to trust either of the cults - the Prophets or the so-called Peacebinders. Snake oil salesmen at best, taking advantage of desperate peasants. A dangerous coup waiting to happen, at worst." The nobleman looks aside, where the bard has raised his hand like a child waiting for permission to speak. Balthazar nods.

"He's even brought them here, my lord."

Grey brows dipping and mouth set in disapproval, Balthazar looks across at Faldar again. "It would be very unwise for a member of our alliance to invite a viper into our busom," the man speaks - all present unaware of the dramatic irony of his choice of words. "As it would be unwise for a member of our alliance to interfere with another's operation - regardless of what they were 'hired' to do by... whomever it was that hired you. Unless the wellbeing of the alliance were not that member's concern?"
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-10-09 at 06:34 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zantos
    Elf Hexblade 3
    OOC
    Jiro
    Elf Rain Cleric 2

Spell Slots:

Qaba
    Elf Ranger 2
    Spell Slots:

Zantos continues to take interest in the slaves, "How many slaves work here for House Lufi? How many work for the other Houses?" He continues to tell them stories of their exploits in the desert, but they seem more interested in Jiro as he tells them of his time as a slave in Urik, innocently telling them his story, "I was raised as a slave in Urik but eventually escaped. Perhaps someday we can help House Lufi grant you more freedom."

Qaba stops Jiro from going too far, whispering to him, "We don't want Faldar to think we are starting a rebellion."

Show