New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Raam: The City of Anarchy IC

The slave pokes on eye open to answer, "Not many. I mean - compared to the other two families. Maybe two or three to a household." He closes his eye again, though he still listens and converses while he dozes. "Vespos has the most I think. They're the ones in charge, kind of."

Hearing of Jiro as an escaped slave, the man sits up and joins Qaba in shushing him. "He's right, you really shouldn't say things like that openly. They might think you sympathize with the Killers or something." He shakes his head and leans back again. "Honestly, I've got a roof and food and there are guards around, and my master's alright. I've got it a lot better than a lot of wasters out there- er, no offense to your pirate adventures. I'm just not cut out for that kind of life."

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lazaar Dargeth
    Dray Defiler Wizard
    AC: 14 HP: 18/18
    PP: 11 PIv: 15 PIs: 11
    Conditions: --

"Speech."
    Greven Zhov
    Dray Aberrant Mind Sorcerer
    AC: 15 HP: 14/14
    PP: 11 PIv: 11 PIs: 13

Speech.
    Qoheleth
    Dray Silt Cleric
    AC: 17 HP: 15/15
    PP: 12 PIv: 11 PIs: 14
    Conditions: ---

"Speech.".

Mar Ravoni nodded in agreement with Khayrat, "Are your peers falling each to their family? The Psiumarkh
    has taken great pains to remain aloof in this unrest. I would imagine practicing sorcerers do not share their leisure in the current climate of the city."

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

Faldar Lufi
    Human/Psion (Vitalist) 3
    AC: 13 HP: 27/27
    PP: 13 PIv: 12 PIs: 11
    Speech
    Bontar
    Dwarf/Barbarian 2
    AC: 19 HP: 13/27[
    PP: 14 PIv: 9 PIs: 12
    Speech
    Ptekme
    Thri-kreen/Rogue 1
    AC: 17 HP: 9/10
    PP: 13 PIv: 16 PIs: 13
    Speech

Faldar looks at Balthazar, trying to get a feel for his intentions. He responds calmly. "You know well enough that I would not cause further chaos in this city by intentionally harming our alliance. Had I known that the golem was yours ... as uncontrolled as it was, then I would have never taken the assignment. As for the prophets, I have shown them hospitality as they have shown me yesterday, when we were in need. Nothing more, nothing less. As for my intentions with them, I doubt they will fit our future needs, but they do fit our current ones. Do you know more of these prophets? They do seem rather reserved about their goals."
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

4. - Top - End - #304

BlueKnightGuy

"Indeed, only the highborn were trusted to become magi of Raam," Khayrat nods, confirming. "The Queen was not a lady fond of exceptions to her rules. Of course, many of the lesser Houses have found themselves destitute or dissolved nowadays. So our Houses take in mages from those as well, to keep them out of the hands of the gangs or the Templarate remnants."

Draining the last of the tea in his cup with a final sip, he sets it back on the sitting room table, on its platter. "There is the fabled Veiled Alliance, of course. I have never met a member - not that I know of, or they wouldn't be much of a secret society," the man lets out another rumbling chuckle.

"You know, speaking of veils and masks - and I mean no offense of course - why do your people wear them?" he inquires, tilting his head and drawing a finger along each side of his mustache in his thinking gesture.

It is hard for Faldar to read the stony, gaunt face of the old and practiced politician. He can tell easily enough that Balthazar is not pleased - could he really expect to be, in his place? But the man nods solemnly, "I will take you at your word for now, and will not bring these transgressions before the rest of the Council. Perhaps you might even be willing to offer us some aid, as a token of apology for this unfortunate accident." Balthazar's tones are measured and diplomatic.

"Just be wary that these Prophets do not make better use of you than you make of them," he cautions, this time with no political weight or hidden carrot-and-stick to his tone. "I do not know them personally, but I have seen similar cults before. The worst possible scenario, Faldar, is that this 'god' of theirs' is not a lie, but something old and dangerous. Have you heard of a T'liz?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Faldar may roll Knowledge Arcana to see if he does know anything about them.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-10-12 at 05:08 PM.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

Faldar Lufi
    Human/Psion (Vitalist) 3
    Speech
    Bontar
    Dwarf/Barbarian 2
    Speech
    Ptekme
    Thri-kreen/Rogue 1
    Speech

Internally Faldar takes a bit sigh of relief when Balthazar decides not to push the issue. Even if it is because there is likely little to gain from doing so. Or the council might frown upon House Urvus methods. Regardless, a scandal seems averted. "I am well aware of the threat that a T'liz might pose to the city. However, I had not thought of it in relation to the prophets. I will be sure to keep an eye on them. Both those who are with me and through someone I know at their camp. As a token of gratitude for your understanding I will share any gained information with you."

Faldar then spends a moment in thought. "Have you ever seen one? A T'liz I mean. I only know of them because my uncle told me about them."

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zantos
    Elf Hexblade 3
    AC: 17 HP: 16/26 THP: 0
    PP: 11 PIv: 9 PIs: 9
    Spell Slots, 2nd: 1/2
    OOC
    Jiro
    Elf Rain Cleric 2
    AC: 17 HP: 17/17
    PP:15 PIv:12 PIs:13
    Eye Storm: 3/3
    Chan Divin: 1/1

Spell Slots:
    1st: 1/3

Qaba
    Elf Ranger 2
    AC: 15 HP: 16/21
    PP: 14 PIv: 13 PIs: 14
    Spell Slots:
    1st: 1/2

Jiro tries to reassure the slave, "We won't force you to fight for your freedom. In this world, you might be better off with a good master than with no master at all. My old master was cruel and harsh, so leaving was an easy choice."

Show

7. - Top - End - #307

BlueKnightGuy

"Good," Balthazar answers simply, satisfied that Faldar has taken his warning to heart. "... I have never met one personally, no. They are territorial, and so a rarity. But my House participated in the purge of a T'liz cult here in Raam long ago, when I was still young. As a wizard apprentice then, I aided in culling the undead that spilled into the streets during the raid." He relates. As the conversation moves away from the previous issue, he dismisses the bards with a wave and they shuffle out, shooting Faldar more looks like daggers. Kalashandra remains, her face still resting upon a passive state of menace.

"And if you would care to correct things now that you know of the Night Runners' true nature," he continues, shifting the topic onto a new (or old) one. "There is an elf in the tavern you... were involved in, named Griff. He is no mere barkeep. Elven assassins report to him, as a go-between with their leader. Our raid intended to capture him, to learn of the assassin contracted to kill my son, among other key pieces of intelligence. As luck would have it, you may now have a measure of his trust..." he trails off on that thought, seeing if Faldar is receptive to the suggestion.

"Right, yeah," the slave nods. It looks like he wants to say more, but he draws a blank on anything to say about Jiro's former master. "I never been to Urik. Wouldn't know what's like at all."

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

Faldar Lufi
    Human/Psion (Vitalist) 3
    Speech
    Bontar
    Dwarf/Barbarian 2
    Speech
    Ptekme
    Thri-kreen/Rogue 1
    Speech

Faldar is quick to pick up on the suggestion. "... and you would have me find out the party that paid for the assasination attempt. I think I can help you with that. I can think of several ways to return to this Griff guy. Do you have any ideas who it could be? Regardless, my plans should carry me near enough that I can pay him a visit." Faldar makes it clear that he is trying to end the meeting and get back to some much needed rest. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but I will first need some time to recover from the past couple of days. I'll keep you informed."

9. - Top - End - #309

BlueKnightGuy

"Of course," Balthazar stands from his seat and smooths out his robes. "Go and rest then..." he pauses to consider and adds, "I do not know who it could be. My House has many enemies, and those enemies are my son's enemies. But there are only so many who could afford to commission such a job. A noble, the templars, the trade house. Assuming this is not the act of the Night Runners making a play to weaken us themselves, which we cannot rule out."

10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground

Faldar Lufi
    Human/Psion (Vitalist) 3
    Speech
    Bontar
    Dwarf/Barbarian 2
    Speech
    Ptekme
    Thri-kreen/Rogue 1
    Speech

Faldar gets up while saying: "Alright, I'll see what I can find out. Thank you for your understanding."
    He then quickly leaves, picking up Bontar and Ptekme at the door, after which they return to the others to get some much needed rest.

11. - Top - End - #311

Lazaar Dargeth
    Dray Defiler Wizard

"Speech."
    Greven Zhov

Speech.
    Qoheleth
    Dray Silt Cleric

"Speech.".

Mar Ravoni smiled behind his veil, which would have looked more like a snarl on a dray snout, "That seems the way of most cities under the rule of the Sorcerer-Kings. I, too, have not see this legendary society of free-sorcerers.

As to our custom, we wear these coverings to symbolize that all manner of creatures stand equal in the eyes of the Unnamed One. Most people concern themselves with their outer appearance, but we seek to foster the discipline of the will."

12. - Top - End - #312

BlueKnightGuy

"What a refreshing way to look at things!" Khayrat responds, as the house servant picks up the empty dishes and takes them away to be cleaned. The nobleman yawns and pats his hands on his knees. "Well, it's getting late. I should be getting ready to sleep, and I'm sure Faldar will be back soon. Worry not, there shall be no trouble while you stay here."

With the red sun setting over the horizon, darkness soon overtakes the land. Beyond the walls of the noble district, creatures of the night prowl. But here, for now, things are safe.

Show
    If there is anything anyone would like to do during the night, feel free to do it concurrently with the morning, to save some time.

It is a restful stay at the manor, and soon the servants' quarters are a bustle with folk getting ready for their morning duties on a new day. Those staying above, whether in the guest room or on the couch, are afforded a warmer and less noisy morning. The master of the house has not yet risen from his bedchambers.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zantos
    Elf Hexblade 3
    AC: 17
    HP: 26/26 THP: 0

PP: 11
    PIv: 9
    PIs: 9

Spell Slots,
    2nd: 2/2

OOC
    Jiro
    Elf Rain Cleric 2
    HP: 17/17

PP:15
    PIv:12
    PIs:13

Spell Slots:
    1st: 3/3

Qaba
    Elf Ranger 2
    AC: 15
    HP: 21/21

PP: 14
    PIv: 13
    PIs: 14

Spell Slots:
    1st: 2/2
    Goodberies: 10

The elves help the slaves straighten up the sleeping area and wait for Faldar to call for them. They thank the slaves for hosting them and letting them share their quarters.

Show
    Qaba holds on to the 10 Goodberries he cast before he went to sleep.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-10-26 at 10:56 AM.

14. - Top - End - #314

Lazaar Dargeth
    Dray Defiler Wizard

"Speech."
    Greven Zhov

Speech.
    Qoheleth
    Dray Silt Cleric

"Speech.".

Mar Ravoni nodded his head in a respectful bow, "Your hospitality shall be remembered. Rest well, nobleman Khayrat."

The prophet entered the guest room. He waited some time, listening and letting the house settle into its sleeping rituals. He then unfurled his sequestered scroll and pored over the glyphs and runes. He read the rite of revelation, followed by the ritual of detection. He sought to contain the defilement within him while he conducted these formulas. Khayrat's method would be more useful in these situations when the knowledge of his magic may put him in peril.

Show
    Ritually cast Detect Magic to ensure no traps or divination magic is at work, then he will ritually cast alarm on the door and window. He will attempt to contain the defilement from the rituals.

15. - Top - End - #315

BlueKnightGuy

Show
    Lazaar finds it extremely difficult to diverge from the usual processes of Defiling. He can attempt a Wisdom check to see if he can manage to get somewhere. Otherwise, he can either drop the ritual at the portion that requires energy, or Distant Raze somewhere within range to try and hide it.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

Faldar Lufi
    Human/Psion (Vitalist) 3
    Speech
    Bontar
    Dwarf/Barbarian 2
    Speech
    Ptekme
    Thri-kreen/Rogue 1
    Speech

Faldar sleeps well during the night. Sleeping in a safe environment, in his own bed is comforting after the last couple of days. He gets up and finds himself some clean clothes, before calling his allies for breakfast. He also sends out a messenger to schedule a meeting with House Vespos for today.

"I hope you all got a good night rest and found our hospitality sufficient. I, at least, am ready to get out there and work on business! Last nights talks with House Urvus went alright. Like my uncle said before, it was unfortunate that we ran into their raid, which was aimed to get information on the assassination attempt at his son. Basicly, it's a personal matter. Fortunately their position is not strong enough to attack my house directly based on these circumstances. However, we have lost some goodwill and should take care not to aggrevate them further. Should we find out more information on the assination attempt, we may restore some of that goodwill."

"That means our most immediate concern are the Killers. I've called for a meeting with House Vespos later today, but I think we need to present them a plan if we want to gain their support in this. I'd love to hear your input on this. How should we deal with this gang?"

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zantos
    Elf Hexblade 3

Spell Slots,

OOC
    Jiro
    Elf Rain Cleric 2

Spell Slots:

Qaba
    Elf Ranger 2

Spell Slots:

Zantos looks to Qaba and Jiro and they nod. It appears the elves had been talking amongst themselves about this possibility.

"We think you should take this fight to Krono. After our encounters with his men the other day, he is weakened. The nobles should unite and strike now. Perhaps we could count as the force from House Lufi and then the other houses could contribute warriors to make a small army. Five to ten from each house would be sufficient. Perhaps fighting next to House Urvus would help heal any rift we may have worsened."

Show

18. - Top - End - #318

BlueKnightGuy

The warband is assembled come morning, in Khayrat's kitchen. Khayrat himself is still upstairs, but the house servants are preparing a morning meal of grilled vegetables. Meat remains a luxury resource that even the nobility cannot squander lightly, though dieting has not thus far helped the master of the house with his figure.

19. - Top - End - #319

Lazaar Dargeth
    Dray Defiler Wizard

"Speech."
    Greven Zhov

Speech.
    Qoheleth
    Dray Silt Cleric

"Speech.".

Mar Ravoni attempted to steel his will and divert the arcane energies flowing through him.

He studied his clandestine scrolls with great care in the early morning before returning to his cohort. Greven's mind melded with his, and the pair discussed the contents of their conversations over the last day. The head prophet concluded, "The nobleman is a surviving sorcerer, but also a practitioner of the preserving arts. His eccentricity may prove useful to cull him from the other houses as he stands outside the accepted practices of his caste and has no connections to the Alliance."

Qoheleth remained as he had during the previous day: Quiet, contemplative. The Grey's presence brooded over his mind like a smoky veil. He sought to sift its contents, to discern where the Silt may shift in favor of one course or another.

Greven spoke for the prophets to the others, "We should indeed deal a decisive blow to Krono. Let us limit our aims to eliminating his leadership. A pack of brigands will fall upon itself and devour each other once their leadership is broken."

Show
    Wisdom check to act like a Preserver to not defile. (1d20+1)[21]
    Last edited by Theophilus; 2020-10-28 at 05:20 AM.

20. - Top - End - #320

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: During the Night
    Show
    Through grueling force of will, Lazaar makes himself stop. As he begins to cast the ritual, he can feel the pull reaching out for something to feed off of. With meticulous and slow-going effort, he is able to take it - a little from here, a little from there. Not enough to rot the wood and salt the earth. As Khayrat described, it feels like making his mind move as if through syrup. Like starting from scratch and learning all the steps over again.

But in agonizing time, it is done. With his eyes opened, he can sense the magic of an Alarm spell already set about Khayrat's room, and a seal or ward upon his door.

And he can eventually feel the perimeter of his own Alarm spell settle into place. It feels as though the rituals took twice as long to complete, and it is quite late before he turns in to sleep.

21. - Top - End - #321

BlueKnightGuy

With a hearty meal of grilled vegetables to see them on their day, the warband is in agreement. Uncle Khayrat sleeps in too long to see them off, as they make their way out of the manor and into the streets of the noble district. Slaves, both under watch and autonomously, are working to maintain some semblance of cleanliness and organization in the streets - at least in the sections of the district in use.

Even here there are many places that are abandoned, or just too out of the way to bother with, and mercenary guards patrol for any threats that might be lurking.

The Vespos estate is on the northeast end of the district, far opposite of Khayrat's manor, near the northern gate to the market district controlled by merchant house M'ke. Despite the distance, the walk does not take so long as out in the city. There are no packs of wild beasts, no raiders to force the party to move warily, no broken rubble in the streets.

Sprawled before the warband is a park, green and lush, with fresh oranges upon the trees being picked by slaves. A few hedges grow alongside the wooden fencing that encircles the park. At the center is a stone-encompassed pond of clear blue water. To the right of the park is a clean, but no-nonsense barracks building bearing the flag of the mercenary company that works for Vespos, the Cobalt Jackals. An image of a blue canine adorns the white of the flag.

Straight across the park is the Vespos manor. Guard posts atop wooden platforms stand behind the fences, which surround the white stone building. The courtyard in front of the main doors is also lush with planted grass, and a stone fountain with a statue of a majestic crodlu spraying water out of its mouth down into the pool, tended by a water cleric. Near the back corner is a taller tower that stands above the rest of the manor, inside of which sits an impressive and imposing brass bell.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

Faldar Lufi
    Human/Psion (Vitalist) 3
    Speech
    Bontar
    Dwarf/Barbarian 2
    Speech
    Ptekme
    Thri-kreen/Rogue 1
    Speech

As the group walks through the park, Faldar enjoys the lush environment, until suddenly he realises the others may have a different view on this. "I ... So this is a park. I guess, you may not have seen something this green before. What do you guys think of it? Pretty, isn't it?" Bontar then steps next to Greven. "Best not to use magic here. House Vespos is kinda protective of it's green."
    Last edited by Moranica; 2020-10-31 at 06:46 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zantos
    Elf Hexblade 3

Spell Slots,

OOC
    Jiro
    Elf Rain Cleric 2

Spell Slots:

Qaba
    Elf Ranger 2

Spell Slots:

Zantos and Qaba are impressed by the greenery, but don't show much enthusiasm and are more concerned with any mundane potential threats.

Jiro, though, is completely engrossed.

"Where do they get all of the water for this? Do they have a natural irrigation system or is this magic? Is it something we could expand with the right technology or magic?"

Show

24. - Top - End - #324

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: Faldar History
    Show
    In answer to Jiro's question, Vespos utilizes Water Clerics to keep their fountains and pond, as well as any food the noble district grows in the gardens, supplied with water.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-10-31 at 07:36 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325

Lazaar Dargeth
    Dray Defiler Wizard

"Speech."
    Greven Zhov

Speech.
    Qoheleth
    Dray Silt Cleric

"Speech.".

Greven replied quietly, "We shall restrain our uses of the arcane to only the most dire need."

Qoheleth took in the scene and frowned under his veil. This extravagance for appearance only worked at odds with the frugal survivalism outside the walls.

Lazaar, however, processed the sight with a calculating assessment: House Vespos possessed powerful magicians. He wondered what lore they possessed and how the prophets may obtain it.

Last edited by Theophilus; 2020-11-01 at 08:41 AM.

26. - Top - End - #326

BlueKnightGuy

Upon crossing through the park, the warband comes to the gates of the manor, and the courtyard beyond. A water cleric even now is refilling and cleansing the water in the central fountain. Standing near him is a woman with long braided hair, tied up into a ponytail. She wears a bronze breastplate and bracers, and a pair of curved blades rest sheathed at her sides.

Taking notice of the group's approach, she comes up to the gate to meet them. Hanging around her neck is an amulet with the same symbol as the Jackals' flag. It only takes one look for her to recognize Faldar, though he isn't familiar with her. "Representatives of House Lufi. To what do we owe the pleasure?" There is no sardonic distaste in her tone, as may accompany the Urvus saying the same. Though no real pleasure either. Just obligatory pleasantry.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Faldar Lufi
    Human/Psion (Vitalist) 3
    Speech
    Bontar
    Dwarf/Barbarian 2
    Speech
    Ptekme
    Thri-kreen/Rogue 1
    Speech

Faldar is glad the gardens don't inspire envy with all of his guests as Jiro wonders about the water. "I'm afraid it's as simple as being rich enough to hire a lot of water clerics. Look at the fountain over there. One of the clerics is taking care of the water right now." He then waits in silence as the woman approaches. He marvels at her expensive equipment and is taken by surprise when he is recognised. He quickly recovers and replies. "Indeed we are, I believe we are expected. I send a messenger earlier today."

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zantos
    Elf Hexblade 3

Spell Slots,

OOC
    Jiro
    Elf Rain Cleric 2

Spell Slots:

Qaba
    Elf Ranger 2

Spell Slots:

The elves stay behind Faldar as he talks to the Jackal woman. Jiro holds his questions until it is a more appropriate time. Zantos, surprisingly, is able to hold his tongue as well.

Show

29. - Top - End - #329

BlueKnightGuy

"Of course, you must be Faldar," the woman bows her head, the braids behind her bobbing through the air. "The Twins are just concluding some other business, I will send for the Captain." She turns to the guards on either side of the gate. The dwarven guard nods and opens it up to let them in, while the human guard slips past towards the Jackal barracks.

As the group moves on into the courtyard, the doors of the house open up and three rough-looking men walk out. Striding at the head of the trio is a man with buzzed hair, wearing worn but well maintained leather armor. He's carrying several weapons, including a bone machete, a cestus on his left hand, and a crossbow on his back. He walks with a confident swagger, flipping a ceramic piece into the air with a finger and his them, then catching it on his finger to repeat the process.

To the first man's right is a huge bare-chested man, carrying a stone warpick and wearing a thorny vangalhide cloak over his back, the face and skull of the beast incorporated into a hood that rests on his head. Two jagged strips of platinum blond hair run down either side of his head, with the middle shaved clean off.

To the first man's left is a man in a loose, voluminous hooded robe that covers most of his body. The reason why is clear, as he draws nearer. Several bandages are wrapped around burns and injuries, some of which look like they were inflicted by flaying the skin from his right arm. The man's face is marked by the same brutal injuries, his nose lost completely with a flat void behind the bandages. Those near as the man walks past feel a chill run down their spine, as though they'd been passed through by a ghost.

The three men walk with a purpose, moving past Faldar's warband and out of the gate, as the mercenary woman leads the group towards the doors.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-11-05 at 03:26 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

Faldar Lufi
    Human/Psion (Vitalist) 3
    Speech
    Bontar
    Dwarf/Barbarian 2
    Speech
    Ptekme
    Thri-kreen/Rogue 1
    Speech
    "Indeed, I am. I brought some of my allies, as you can see. I hope that is alright." He then follows the woman inside.

Faldar stops in his tracks though when the mercenary group passes by them. He looks at the man in bandages and addresses him. "Oh my, good man. Do you perhaps need healing? I'm quite skilled and .... well, you look like a mess. In any case, swing by the Lufi estate today and ask for Faldar. I'll fix you up a little."

As the men walk on though, he shrugs and continues on, following the woman further.