New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What foods do you really hate?

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    There's two common flavors that I cannot stand: cherry and mint. The latter is actually particularly annoying, not because of food, but because it forces me to be picky about toothpastes, since so many of those are mint-flavor by default.
    I have the same sane experience, although that's less to disliking mint itself (great addition to lamb! And several other foods that don't disgust the French at their mixing, such as peas) and more for to foregoing they concentrated mint flavour that toothpaste and sweets use. In fact, Is much rather clean with s blander toothpaste it that was possible.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Pineapple. The juice is tolerable, the texture is awfull. Warm pineapple is particularly vile, people who dare to put it in perfectly fine salty pizza are godless heathens.

Pork. Thin slices of ham or bacon are tolerable, but I grew accustomed to beef and especially game meat as a kid. In comparison, pork is bland and disgustingly fatty.

Several types of lake fish are also pretty meh. Especially when smoked - there are some varieties that taste great but the stench gives me a migraine. Lutefisk is great, though - it's almost like eating boiled egg whites.

Citrus fruits taste heavenly, but I dislike their chewy texture, so I basically never eat them whole.

Some fermented foods are also horrid, but that's the point, because they're a cruel joke one tribe plays on another to weed out the foreigners.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Oh man, the older I get, the more I like pineapple. Especially fresh. I've always loved citrus like crazy, then mangos grew in me, and now pineapples. I am a tropical creature at heart.

Also, a local Mexican place makes these al pastore tacos, where pineapple is part of the marinade for the pork. I need to learn to replicate it, I never even thought of doing that but it works just so well.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm very difficult with fish. When prepared some ways I love it (especially sushi). Some other ways, I see it as a torture to my taste buds. And the fishbone doesn't help either.

Vegan products are a big no go for me. Mostly because I used to hang out with this vegan couple, and the guy was so anoying in trying to make me replace cheese with vegan cheese, it got to my nerves, and now I don't want anything remotely vegan near my plate, to the point I make extra effort to include bacon in all my legumes, and chicken in all salads I consume. There's also a bunsh of other reasons I'm not into vegan products, but this is the main one.

Finally, I can't stand the smell let alone the taste of tahini, and I'm not big on melons, though I love watermelons.

Also I don't like bitter tastes, though I drink my coffee bitter, so I guess it depends on the intensity. Grapefruit is a big no-go, unless it's in some form of sweet for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Oh man, the older I get, the more I like pineapple. Especially fresh. I've always loved citrus like crazy, then mangos grew in me, and now pineapples. I am a tropical creature at heart.

Also, a local Mexican place makes these al pastore tacos, where pineapple is part of the marinade for the pork. I need to learn to replicate it, I never even thought of doing that but it works just so well.

Have you tried pork with honey? One of my favorite recipies, and it sounds like you'll enjoy it.
    Last edited by Asmotherion; 2020-06-21 at 07:49 AM.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Peelee, this recipe might help with your al pastor cravings.

A lot of modern turkey is bred for size not flavor these days, sadly.

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Peelee, this recipe might help with your al pastor cravings.
    You just made an enemy friend for life.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh man, I love specialty burger places. Mostly because some (which I consider the better ones) will allow "rare" as one of their cook-to-order options. And, as much as I like a rare steak, a rare hamburger somehow transcends that. It's a magical thing.

I am well aware of the health risks, before anyone jumps on that.
    Yeah? Me too. I'll pretty much love any burger place that can do a good spicy burger. You know the type? One with pepperjack cheese and hot peppers?

My favorite burger place makes a bacon cheeseburger with peanut butter and strawberry jam. Honestly, it shouldn't be good at all, but it's amazing.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

That's Horrendous!
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Cucumber, no clue why, I like similar foods, I just find cucumber disgusting.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by el minster View Post
    That's Horrendous!
    The PB&J burger? I honestly thought it would be too. My curiosity was piqued though, so I had to try it.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

On pineapple - there are a handful of tropical fruit that I really loved when I was a kid in Thailand (for like a year), and which I've liked a lot less since coming back to the US. Pineapple is absolutely on that list, though I still like it. Lychee and mango though, I adore good lychee and mango, and I'm either on the wrong continent entirely or a good thousand miles too far north to find either.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    The PB&J burger? I honestly thought it would be too. My curiosity was piqued though, so I had to try it.
    I've made a similar mistake, though it was only to the tune of a bite of someone else's burger. I should have known that donut buns couldn't end well, but I just suspected and it wasn't enough. I might have to rescind my comment about not really hating anything for it, because I strongly suspect that even a really good donut bun burger would go down poorly.

That said, I tend to dislike mixing meat and sweet. Sweet teriyaki is about as sweet as I can go and still like it, something like honeyed ham or maple bacon is emphatically not my thing. Though that's definitely in the dislike end and not the really hate.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

12. - Top - End - #42

GreenSorcererElf

Whoa that takes guts!

Proudly Chaotic

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    That said, I tend to dislike mixing meat and sweet. Sweet teriyaki is about as sweet as I can go and still like it, something like honeyed ham or maple bacon is emphatically not my thing. Though that's definitely in the dislike end and not the really hate.
    I can totally relate with this. When I was a kid my parents used to pack me PBJ sandwiches with ham, which is an awful combination. (I salute those who enjoy it )

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Through the consumption of coconut milk, coconut water and other coconut-related products, I’ve determined that coconuts taste like concentrated evil.

I also dislike olives.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2020-06-22 at 01:03 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    I've made a similar mistake, though it was only to the tune of a bite of someone else's burger. I should have known that donut buns couldn't end well, but I just suspected and it wasn't enough. I might have to rescind my comment about not really hating anything for it, because I strongly suspect that even a really good donut bun burger would go down poorly.

A doughnut burger might be a bit much for me. I like a good burger, I like a good doughnut... together though? I mean, whenever I eat doughnuts, I need black coffee to go with them. Otherwise I find them too sweet. Not that I think mixing sweet and savory flavors is an inherently bad idea. After all, my corner of the world's notable contribution to the culinary world is putting bacon on maple bars. God... I really want a doughnut now. I haven't eaten one since the world shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by el minster View Post
    Whoa that takes guts!
    Well, yes. Where else am I going to put food?

In seriousness though, sometimes I feel like I need to try foods that I don't think I'll like. I like to be able to say definitively that I don't like a certain food, and sometimes something that sounds like it'll be gross is actually pretty good.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

While I like the flavor ginger brings in soup/tea/juice, I hate actually biting even the tiniest bit of one. Ugh.

Anything with a hint of star anise tastes terrible.

I generally like spicy food and fermented food, but can't stomach the various types of kimchi.

Soda. It's probably the disgustingly saccharine taste and the realization that I am substituting water with a liquified carbonized candy.

Beer tastes plain horrible, like carbs in cool, bitter, liquid form. Generally, any alcohol (aka poison) or alcoholic drink tastes various kinds of horrible to me. Unless maybe a bartender turns one of them base spirits into a fancy drink, at which point I wonder ruin perfectly serviceable drinks by mixing them with poison in the first place.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2020-06-22 at 03:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

I loathe pineapple to the point that, were I in charge of the world there would be an entire branch of the military dedicated to purging the very concept of that vile fruit from the earth.

I am somewhat less fond of coconut than I am of pineapple.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Through the consumption of coconut milk, coconut water and other coconut-related products, I’ve determined that coconuts taste like concentrated evil.

I also dislike olives.
    It's the texture of coconut that sets my husband off more than the taste.

Knowing how to balance savory with sweet is a skill I'm working on. Dark chocolate with a bit of sea salt? Heaven!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

I like most forms of fresh or dried fruit. But people keep doing horrible things with it like cooking it until it gets squishy or cutting it up and leaving it out or putting it into chocolate.

I also dislike zucchini. I have hated raw tomatos for most of my life, but I haven't tried one in ages. In general, slimy or squishy things squick me out.

20. - Top - End - #50

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Starlit Dragon View Post
    I like most forms of fresh or dried fruit. But people keep doing horrible things with it like cooking it until it gets squishy or cutting it up and leaving it out or putting it into chocolate.
    Ooh, did you ever have dried mango from Trader Joe's?

Proudly Chaotic

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post
    Pineapple. The juice is tolerable, the texture is awfull. Warm pineapple is particularly vile, people who dare to put it in perfectly fine salty pizza are godless heathens.
    I agree for the most part. There is something about the texture of pineapple that doesn't match the taste to me. Oddly enough, I really like the way it smells when cooked but the taste, blah.

Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post

Pork. Thin slices of ham or bacon are is intolerable, but I grew accustomed to beef and especially game meat as a kid. In comparison, pork is bland and disgustingly fatty.
    I only find ham disgusting. I've been told I've never had good ham but I've tried enough to know I don't like it. Love bacon, sausages, pork chops... but an actually ham is fatty in the wrong way.

Only thing worse than either of the above is coconut. Just the smell of it makes me nauseous. And being around people who lather themselves in coconut lotion makes me lose my appetite.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    My friends have categorized my distaste as "white foods except cheese".
    Sour cream, cream cheese, mayonnaise, ranch dressing or flavored stuff (although sometimes things like chips are tolerable, if other things cancel out the taste), creamy sauces.

When I worked at a Mexican eatery, sour cream was what I called "nausea incarnate". Everything from putting it into our container, to putting it on food, to the smell was just gross. A little sour cream ruins most anything for me. I can tolerate some desserts or pastries with cream cheese if it's small enough, but cheesecake tastes bad to me unless the chocolate (or whatever) is so strong it overwhelms the taste of the cream cheese. In recent years, I can tolerate some mayo on a hamburger, but I still tend to open it and scrap off what I can.

I have learned that I like real crema, which is a Mexican condiment (?) akin to sour cream. But most Mexican places around here mean sour cream when they say crema.
    Sounds like I could have written the above.

Reading through the thread, I have to add tofu. The texture is bad, the flavor is virtually nonexistent, so I don't want it in my food. It reminds me of eating styrofoam. Soy does bad things to me too, so that's an extra helping of "nope".

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Tried it once on a whim, as I had no actual toppings for my burger. Ended up delicius for some reason.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Stattick View Post
    Sounds like I could have written the above.

Reading through the thread, I have to add tofu. The texture is bad, the flavor is virtually nonexistent, so I don't want it in my food. It reminds me of eating styrofoam. Soy does bad things to me too, so that's an extra helping of "nope".
    Tofu is supposed to take on the flavor of what you're cooking. Also, there are various firmness categories; if it has the texture of styrofoam, something catastrophic went wrong. The firmer ones tend to be better IMO. My wife taught me to make an awesome tofu stew, which is fantastic. I never thought I liked tofu before that, but I have been introduced to a wide variety of Korean foods, and have since learned that it's not that I don't like tofu, I just didn't like tofu in the hands of people who didn't know how to cook with it.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

For some reason, pineapple.

Best case (less than small teaspoon): 3 hours of aggressive belching.
    Worst case (more): projectile vomiting.

Actually, I do not mind the taste. Just my body reacts to it this way. It has been tested without my foreknowledge (a friend made a cake with really small amount of minced pineapple) - and results were the same.

On the other hand, I do mind the taste of cucumber, but love pickles.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

One odd thing for me is red wine, at least most of them (I think some organic ones or ones without sulfates don't bother me.)
    I can enjoy the smell and taste of a little bit, but it usually makes me feel sick. Brandy does as well. It used to not bother me, but something happened that just makes me feel sick about it. (I guess this doesn't technically fit the definition of this thread, as it's not that I can't stand the taste, but my body seems to reject it.)

One time, after not eating or drinking anything for about a day or a half, I got drunk on red wine with bread. Since then, drinking red wine started making me feel ill. Also, that might have started me on disliking (at least most) bread by itself or dipped in wine. Bread on stuff is fine, but, just typing this, remembering the smell of a tray of different breads makes me feel sick, I guess memory from getting drunk that time.

Context: {scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-06-24 at 09:43 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

If you're working with firmer tofu, you definitely need to make sure the moisture is pressed out of it first before cooking.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Halfling in the Playground

I cant stand brussel sprouts XD no matter how they are cooked they just taste terrible to me. Im the same way with coffee actually lol

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

It's a little specific, but egg bakes are a great way to take independently good ingredients and turn them into something less than food.

Also, coconuts. They look good, smell good, and hold tantalizing secrets, but taste like betrayal. They are the betrayers fruit.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fred_Franzinand View Post
    It's a little specific, but egg bakes are a great way to take independently good ingredients and turn them into something less than food.

Also, coconuts. They look good, smell good, and hold tantalizing secrets, but taste like betrayal. They are the betrayers fruit.
    Egg bakes are weird. They're basically quiche without the pastry.