New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What foods do you really hate?

I'll go all in on the sweet potato hate. I hate their texture, that gritty stringy mush. I hate how they smell when they're baked in the oven. I hate the oozing burnt syrup that inevitably results from said baking. I hate sweet potato fries, I hate sweet potato casserole. If sweet potatoes were a sentient species I'd make it my life's work to bring them to extinction. Same goes with squash and its myriad of forms of squash except for zucchini. I'm ok with that.
    Last edited by Razade; 2020-12-06 at 12:19 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    Pumpkin spice/Xmas Spice mixes. Good grief the smell alone is painful. why? people why?
    Out of curiosity, do you also hate apple pie? Because literally the only difference is the addition of a sprinkle of ginger in the former.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know of any apple pie recipe that calls for cloves, which is something called for in pumpkin pie. I'm sure you could put clove in an apple pie, but it's not a traditional spice in them. Pumpkin Pie spice is clove, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and sometimes allspice. Apple pie is just generally nutmeg and cinnamon.
    Last edited by Razade; 2020-12-07 at 05:40 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Traditional apple pie? Not my thing. At all. But "apple pie" is rarely added to everything or blow into the air as perfume like pumpkin spice is.

i really dislike cinnamon and allspice

Ginger? Doable but in small doses
    Nutmeg? Eh prefer mace tbh and cut it by 50-75% in what is called for but at the lower levels quite nice...horribly overwhelming otherwise. As in painful. In some cases I need a 90% cut.

Clove? i like clove...but still often use it lightly. Like 20-50% cut

Mostly it the demon insecticide bark that I loathe.
    Last edited by sktarq; 2020-12-07 at 05:52 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    I don't know of any apple pie recipe that calls for cloves, which is something called for in pumpkin pie. I'm sure you could put clove in an apple pie, but it's not a traditional spice in them. Pumpkin Pie spice is clove, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and sometimes allspice. Apple pie is just generally nutmeg and cinnamon.
    I've never put cloves in pumpkin pie, and store bought pumpkin pie spice doesn't include it either, at least the ones I buy.

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq
    Traditional apple pie? Not my thing. At all. But "apple pie" is rarely added to everything or blow into the air as perfume like pumpkin spice is.

i really dislike cinnamon and allspice

Ginger? Doable but in small doses
    Nutmeg? Eh prefer mace tbh and cut it by 50-75% in what is called for but at the lower levels quite nice...horribly overwhelming otherwise. As in painful. In some cases I need a 90% cut.

Clove? i like clove...but still often use it lightly. Like 20-50% cut

Mostly it the demon insecticide bark that I loathe.
    FWIW I don't like the smell of those damn cinnamon brooms either, they're so cloying and strong. But the spice is different when ground or dried as sticks. It's cinnamon OIL that is so ridiculously foul smelling.

I look a bit askance at throwing nutmeg and mace into the same category, though. They taste nothing alike to me.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I've never put cloves in pumpkin pie, and store bought pumpkin pie spice doesn't include it either, at least the ones I buy.
    I don't know what pumpkin spice you're buying but it's so common it's even on the Wikipedia entry. It's in the Simply Organic mix (fairly popular in the States). The Amazon brand has it (also caraway and coriander seed...which is weird to me but w/e). The Kroger Brand has it, which is a massive supermarket chain in the US and also owns Fry's which carries Kroger brand stuff. So does Spice Island, a "higher end" spice choice in supermarkets in the US. Penzeys, which is a really upmarket spice puveyor that I use as a chef, has it. As predicted that some people might put clove in an apple pie, Penzey's does put clove in their apple pie mix. That's strange to me, but it is what it is. Frontier Co-Op also has Cloves on their recipe list. Starbucks, a national chain, includes it in their mix as well.

The only big time spice mix I found that doesn't use cloves in their pumpkin spice blend is McCormick which I can only assume is because

1. McCormick is about as cheap as you can get with spices
    2. McCormick's spices are some of the worst quality you can get because 1.

Which brand are you using, I'm honestly really curious now.
    Last edited by Razade; 2020-12-07 at 07:54 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

FWIW I don't like the smell of those damn cinnamon brooms either, they're so cloying and strong. But the spice is different when ground or dried as sticks. It's cinnamon OIL that is so ridiculously foul smelling.

I look a bit askance at throwing nutmeg and mace into the same category, though. They taste nothing alike to me.
    Well I think of mace as nutmeg's better half really. Brothers but not twins. And in many situations mace makes a wonderful substitution for nutmeg.

And I think ground/stick cinnamon to be nearly as foul, personally. But YMMV

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know what pumpkin spice you're buying but it's so common it's even on the Wikipedia entry. It's in the Simply Organic mix (fairly popular in the States). The Amazon brand has it (also caraway and coriander seed...which is weird to me but w/e). The Kroger Brand has it, which is a massive supermarket chain in the US and also owns Fry's which carries Kroger brand stuff. So does Spice Island, a "higher end" spice choice in supermarkets in the US. Penzeys, which is a really upmarket spice puveyor that I use as a chef, has it. As predicted that some people might put clove in an apple pie, Penzey's does put clove in their apple pie mix. That's strange to me, but it is what it is. Frontier Co-Op also has Cloves on their recipe list. Starbucks, a national chain, includes it in their mix as well.

The only big time spice mix I found that doesn't use cloves in their pumpkin spice blend is McCormick which I can only assume is because

1. McCormick is about as cheap as you can get with spices
    2. McCormick's spices are some of the worst quality you can get because 1.

Which brand are you using, I'm honestly really curious now.
    I'll use either McCormick's ready made stuff or just assemble the spices individually. Pretty much all spice mixes taste exactly the same to me, no matter the brand. Ground spices are ground spices, pretty much.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I'll use either McCormick's ready made stuff or just assemble the spices individually. Pretty much all spice mixes taste exactly the same to me, no matter the brand. Ground spices are ground spices, pretty much.
    Are we including seasoned salts as spice mixes? Because if so, it's Lawry's or get out of my kitchen.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Don't really truck with seasoned salts, since I use very little salt when cooking generally.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Are we including seasoned salts as spice mixes? Because if so, it's Lawry's or get out of my kitchen.
    I'd toss you out if you brought a McCormick spice jar into my house personally. They don't even put cloves in their pumpkin spice mix.

12. - Top - End - #132

I'd toss you out if you brought a McCormick spice jar into my house personally. They don't even put cloves in their pumpkin spice mix.
    Other than that they bought Lawry's, I could take or leave McCormick. Though I also don't ever buy pumpkin spice mix.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I, for one, appreciate that mildly cold weather or spicy food don't result in me dying of asphyxiation.
    The solution is clearly two nosi.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    The solution is clearly two nosi.
    Two noses are only acceptable of each one has only one large nostril.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

I blended my own spice mix when I made speculoos. This is when I found out how pricey mace is.

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    I blended my own spice mix when I made speculoos. This is when I found out how pricey mace is.
    I prefer greataxe.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Two noses are only acceptable of each one has only one large nostril.
    I don't think how many nostrils someone has is any of my business.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kiju View Post
    Broccoli and pineapple pizza. Every time I have a question in my head "why would someone come up with this?"
    Yeah, pineapple pizza is pretty bad. I can't imagine how much worse it would be if you also put broccoli on it.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Oh man, the older I get, the more I like pineapple. Especially fresh. I've always loved citrus like crazy, then mangos grew in me, and now pineapples. I am a tropical creature at heart.

Also, a local Mexican place makes these al pastore tacos, where pineapple is part of the marinade for the pork. I need to learn to replicate it, I never even thought of doing that but it works just so well.
    They ferment the pineapple first. Also pineapple has bromelein, a natural meat tenderizer.

Personally, I love almost everything you all say you hate. My hates are all texture based, have met very few flavors I genuinely hated.
    Texture wise, my o hell no's are: hard boiled eggs, whole clams, tofu, foodservice grade mayonnaise, and tripe.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Mace is literally the skin of the nutmeg nut

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Alcohol. For years, every time I do a thing with more than a couple other people for a little while, including just going to do some D&D, I'll end up getting recommended that I try some alcoholic beverage or drink mix or whatever that somebody else is having. It tastes like paint thinner smells, every time. Doesn't matter that it got mixed with my favorite drink in the world and is like 1% alcoholic beverage, doesn't matter that it's a well-aged ****in whatever, doesn't matter if it's so basic that literally everybody enjoys it by default, doesn't matter that it's essentially alcoholic water, it all tastes awful. And I feel kinda bad for my friends who really enjoy drinking cuz I can't tell if I'm the weirdo who can't enjoy literally anything like that and I'm kinda being a buzzkill for not drinking, or if my taste is correct and they're just suffering from a mix of addiction and stockholm syndrome.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #142
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I dislike paprika and I hate that most vegetables taste like paprika if you keep them near paprika.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Well, for most things that call for bell peppers in high quantities they're kind of meant to be the main focus of the dish. Like paprikash.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Well, for most things that call for bell peppers in high quantities they're kind of meant to be the main focus of the dish. Like paprikash.
    In the continued question of "what is Rynjin eating and where"....where are you eating paprikash with bell peppers? The paprika spice isn't made out of bell peppers, they're made out of a different cultivator of Annum which aren't actually Bell Peppers. Having grown up eating paprikash at least once a month from actual Hungarian immigrants...I've never heard of it having any veggie other than onion and tomato.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

In the continued question of "what is Rynjin eating and where"....where are you eating paprikash with bell peppers? The paprika spice isn't made out of bell peppers, they're made out of a different cultivator of Annum which aren't actually Bell Peppers. Having grown up eating paprikash at least once a month from actual Hungarian immigrants...I've never heard of it having any veggie other than onion and tomato.
    Every paprikash recipe I have ever seen has included bell peppers, and lots of them (at least one whole one, sometimes two). I never said paprika and bell peppers were the same thing.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2021-01-04 at 01:27 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

You live in a strange world of food. No recipe of Pumpkin Pie with cloves, literally one of the standard spices of Pumpkin Pie spice. Bell peppers in a dish that doesn't traditionally call for them. Does your cooking world tell you to use zucchini in a mirepoix too?

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Literally even the Wikipedia page for paprikash lists bell peppers as one of the primary ingredients. Quit with this food elitist bull****, it's borderline flaming.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2021-01-04 at 07:37 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

The Fullmetal Mod: Thread locked for review.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I vote we purge flat_footed.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I didn't kill anyone, except I guess I killed everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    flat_footed

Extended Signature