New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Campaign Idea: Angellic players....

This was an idea i had a couple years back that never got off the ground, because i had no idea how to make it work.
    The players would start off as newly forged angels, and would receive their quests from greater celestials- with of course the potential to fall.

1) How could I make the whole angel player work? I feel like creating a home brewed angelic race, or giving them aasimar or half celestial would be a cop out- i want it to feel genuine to the players, like they are truly playing as angels.
    2) What could I give as quests? What kind of story arc could I create for these newborn angels? In my setting, angels are created as angels, not born from mortal souls.
    3) Would they have class levels? Would they work their way up through the ranks? Would they gain their Outsider HD as if they were class levels?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Campaign Idea: Angellic players....

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    2) What could I give as quests? What kind of story arc could I create for these newborn angels? In my setting, angels are created as angels, not born from mortal souls.
    Maybe instead of the classic "go kill the bad guy" the players could be tasked to try and redeem the bad guy. We all know how to kill the Big Bad Necromancer or whatever but how do you make him see the error of his ways? It'd probably take some extra thinking from both you and the players but I think it could be rather interesting and fitting of the angel theme.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    This was an idea i had a couple years back that never got off the ground, because i had no idea how to make it work.
    The players would start off as newly forged angels, and would receive their quests from greater celestials- with of course the potential to fall.

1) How could I make the whole angel player work? I feel like creating a home brewed angelic race, or giving them aasimar or half celestial would be a cop out- i want it to feel genuine to the players, like they are truly playing as angels.
    3) Would they have class levels? Would they work their way up through the ranks? Would they gain their Outsider HD as if they were class levels?
    My suggestion for 1 and 3 would be to adapt the gestalt rules, only instead of advancing in two character classes, they advance in one class and outsider HD, also gradually gaining the spell like abilities and such of whichever kind of angel they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    My suggestion for 1 and 3 would be to adapt the gestalt rules, only instead of advancing in two character classes, they advance in one class and outsider HD, also gradually gaining the spell like abilities and such of whichever kind of angel they are.
    This would be my suggestion as well. I run a similar style game, but all the players are undead. There are some 3rd Edition resources that can help, namely Savage Species and Libris Mortis. They provide examples of monster progressions.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

You could start them with the Celestial or Half-Celestial template added to whatever race they wanted/represented their origin, if you wanted to begin at Step Zero ala Paul Hogan's seminal "Almost an Angel". There are savage progressions for their LA's on WotC web supplements. This works if you want to advance via class levels. I'm sure someone has a progression one-to-epic written for angels like solars.

Between story arcs, you could have them change base creature to more powerful angel types. Unlike devil/demon promotions, I don't know if there is a recommended chain of forms. This is a lot more work than leveling, probably changes effective level erratically, and involves losing powers as well as gaining.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

1) There's a lot of potential variety under the "Angel" umbrella. You've got the actual angels (i.e. Angel subtype) that move freely among all the upper planes (e.g. Planetars, Devas.) Then you've got the aligned celestials like Archons (LG), Agathions (NG) and Azata (CG). Even though these other three groups aren't technically "angels", I would consider them close enough to count for this campaign, which gives your players a lot more variety. I would even consider allowing Inevitables, Aeons, Psychopomps or Proteans for added spice - these groups would have reason to join in fighting fiends if it looks like the fiends are about to destroy creation, for example.

2) With (1) in mind, I would pick a CR (e.g. 8) and let everyone choose an angel of that CR - they could pick an angel that's already there, or pick a lower-CR one and have you advance it to the appropriate HD to be even with the others. In general I would restrict them to angels that have a humanoid-shaped form of some kind so that you don't have to worry about things like body slot discrepancies - so no Lantern Archons etc. Having everyone start at the same CR means you can do APL calculations very easily, which makes your life much easier when designing appropriate encounters.

3) Lastly, I would use the Monsters as PCs rules to let them advance in a character class of their choice, complete with built-in "LA buyoff." (Pathfinder doesn't really have LA, but this accomplishes the same design objective.) If you want a level-by-level breakdown of how these rules work in play, see this older post by me as an example.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Pathfinder has a concept of Race Points in the Advanced Race Guide. Different racial traits cost so many points.
    Give the players points as they level to spend on more angelic-themed racial perks as they level up?

Borrow the summoner's Eidolon system and have them play with evolution points and the evolution to themselves?
    Signature goes here, something something witty?

8. - Top - End - #8

Goblin

In this thread on Myth-Weavers, I have progressions for all the monsters from the Monster Manual. They use Inevitability's Reassigned LAs (RLAs). The Astral Deva is in this post, and the Trumpet Archon and Planetar are in this post. I've also got one for the Movanic Deva from Fiend Folio.

You're welcome to use my progressions, if they'll give you what you want. If you do use them, I would love feedback on them.

9. - Top - End - #9

You could use Oslecamo's Monster classes. He has over a dozen celestial classes that are intended to be played as PCs with no LA involved.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

This looks like it would be cool in a sort of gestalt game
    Like you're given a CR budget for your celestial side and then on the other half you pick a class. If you go under budget you fill that with class stuff too

That or you could just slap half celestial or archon graced or whatever on a normal character

11. - Top - End - #11

Beholder

There's also a book about playing angels "Anger of Angels" by Sean K Reynolds you might wish to check out.

It has the various kinds of angels as races, feats for angels, prestige classes.

It's got a more Abrahamic vibe going for it rather than taking the outsiders and giving them classes ala Savage Species.

So it wouldn't do you as much good if you wanted to play a lantern archon instead of a wheel made out of fire with eyes, but thought I'd bring it up for completeness sake.

12. - Top - End - #12

OldWizardGuy

Ooh, Abrahamic angels are freaky
    That's cool

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

A friend and I played in The Shackled City for D&D 3.5, written by Paizo pre-PF1. We were gestalt angels of Pelor given earthly bodies suited to our task. (We started at level 1 but with some reduced-cost level adjustment.) Our goal was to play the module, but in so doing explore the world and determine if this plane should be destroyed or spared.

Yes, some of it was inspired by the Biblical account of Sodom and Gomorrah.
    Last edited by Endarire; 2020-06-27 at 02:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

14. - Top - End - #14

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    A friend and I played in The Shackled City for D&D 3.5, written by Paizo pre-PF1. We were gestalt angels of Pelor given earthly bodies suited to our task. (We started at level 1 but with some reduced-cost level adjustment.) Our goal was to play the module, but in so doing explore the world and determine if this plane should be destroyed or spared.

Yes, some of it was inspired by the Biblical account of Sodom and Gomorrah.
    That's really really cool

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Our characters were the only ones in the world with notably high stats. (We had a 40 point buy and gestalt. Everyone else used standard elite or common array stats or their default premade stats.)

I chose Pelor primarily because of the controversy around Pelor, the Burning Hate. Being angels of judgment or mercy could fit either way.

I appreciate your appreciation of my proposal!
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!