New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Is it worth buying a PS4 after PS5 releases?

That depends on a few factors:

1. Is the PS5 fully backwards compatible? If yes, then save your money and get a PS5, since you basically get a PS4 Pro "for free" on top of it. If it's partially backwards compatible, it depends on if it can play the games you want out of a PS4. Both the PS4 Pro and the PS4 Slim currently cost ~380€ new, and I don't think they'll drop under 250€ for the foreseeable future.
    2. Do you enjoy playing the latest games as they come out or with little delay? If yes, get a PS5. If you don't care about waiting a few years until you can afford a PS5, get a PS4 and play in the meantime.
    3. Do you enjoy the sound of starting airplanes? If yes, get a PS4. if no, hope that the PS5 is more silent than the PS4. I'll swap my PS4 the moment the PS5 launches (first time buying on release or short after, the predecessors I bought a few years into their lifespans) because the thing is LOUD. Too loud for an entertainment device, tbh.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul Srinivas View Post
    Hey folks! I was wondering if it is worth it to buy a ps4 after the release of ps5 because sure I would not be able to afford a ps5 if i haven't yet bought a ps4 lol. If someone is kind enough to point out the pros and cons , that would be great!
    I actually did something pretty similar when the PS4 launched and got a PS3 for pretty cheap from a friend who was moving to the PS4. I wanted a PS3 at the time because there where a bunch of exclusives I wanted to play (The last of us, some of the quantic dream stuff, some of the later metal gear solids, etc.) The thing with buying an old console after the new one arrives is that an old console is generally pretty much done where content is considered. Most new game releases will be for the new console, so you don't really have any new stuff to look forward to. However, if there's a bunch of currently available PS4 exclusives that you really want to play, it might certainly be worthwhile to get.

So, to put it simply, are there a whole lot of games currently only on the PS4 that you want to play? If yes, get a PS4, if not, don't.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-06-20 at 12:49 PM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I buy old Nintendo consoles when they rotate because the games age well. Every Mario Kart is still good, smash bros, zelda, etc.

So I think getting a ps4 game if you want the games is fine. So many games come out a year its not like you are in any danger of running out. I never even beat half the ps1 or SNES titles.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Huh, the original post is gone. Eh well...

Whoracle said it well.

In the case of PS3 and PS4, my PS3 still serves its purpose. For some reason, the games on the PSN are different. I think it was Suikoden 3 or something that you could get on PS3 but not PS4. Just an anecdote, but I imagine it could make the difference...

Assuming not all PS4 games are on PS5.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ