New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Nothic Race

1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Nothic Race

Nothic

Ability Score Increase
    Accursed scholars of arcane lore, Nothics are brighter than average. Your Intelligence increases by 1. Beyond that, Nothics are quite varied-you may increase any one physical stat by 1 and any one mental stat by 1. (This can stack with your initial +1 to Intelligence, for a total of +2.)

Size
    Your size is Medium.

Speed
    Your speed is 30'.

Enhanced Vision
    You can see in the dark, in color, out to 60'. Furthermore, you have advantage on saves or checks made regarding visual illusions.

Weird Insight
    You gain proficiency in the Insight skill. Furthermore, as an action, you can target one creature within 30' you can see. Make a Wisdom (Insight) check as opposed by their Charisma (Deception). If you succeed, you automatically learn one fact or secret about the target. Creatures that are immune to being charmed are immune to this effect, and a creature that is forced to make the save (succeed or fail) is immune to this ability until they complete a rest.

Rotting Gaze
    You can, as an action, target one foe you can see within 30' of you. They must make a Constitution save against a DC of 8+your Intelligence modifier+your proficiency bonus. On a failure, they take 3d6 points of necrotic damage. This increases by 2d4 at levels 5, 11, and 17.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-07-03 at 10:53 AM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Nothic Race

So... Rotting Gaze. Why did you go with 2d4, and not, say, 1d8?

Also, creatures that have Charm Immunity should be immune to Weird Insight - the monster has that clause in its version of the ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    So... Rotting Gaze. Why did you go with 2d4, and not, say, 1d8?

Also, creatures that have Charm Immunity should be immune to Weird Insight - the monster has that clause in its version of the ability.
    Because it's effectively a short-ranged cantrip without a rider. Looking at it, even 2d4 feels a little low-compare to Toll The Dead.

For the second comment, yup, makes sense. That's me goofing.

Show
    Show

Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Because it's effectively a short-ranged cantrip without a rider. Looking at it, even 2d4 feels a little low-compare to Toll The Dead.
    I was just wondering why you decided to make it 2dX and not just a bigger die. I know that that's more consistent, damage-wise, but it also feels a bit off.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I was just wondering why you decided to make it 2dX and not just a bigger die. I know that that's more consistent, damage-wise, but it also feels a bit off.
    To give d4s some love? I honestly couldn't tell you, but it felt right.

Show
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

As a player race, I'd suggest some sort of limit on Weird Gaze to prevent spamming it on the same target-- maybe something like "succeed or fail, the creature can't be affected by this ability until you complete a long rest."

Rotting Gaze is under-strength for a cantrip equivalent-- given that the rest of the race is also on the weak side, I might actually kick it up to the original 3d6.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

7. - Top - End - #7

As a player race, I'd suggest some sort of limit on Weird Gaze to prevent spamming it on the same target-- maybe something like "succeed or fail, the creature can't be affected by this ability until you complete a long rest."

Rotting Gaze is under-strength for a cantrip equivalent-- given that the rest of the race is also on the weak side, I might actually kick it up to the original 3d6.
    Done on the Gaze.

Did something slightly different than what you recommended for the Insight, but should have a good enough effect to limit its spam.

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Done on the Gaze.

Did something slightly different than what you recommended for the Insight, but should have a good enough effect to limit its spam.
    Looks good!

(Err, well, the damage increase is still 2d4, but otherwise good)
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Observations, not criticisms:
    -It's hard for me to see nothics reproducing. It's more of a curse inflicted. It would require some serious lore to rectify this for me.
    -Without the lore of conventional reproduction I see nothics as being generated characters of a certain level (maybe 6th level is when this becomes a possibility) that have the nothic template applied (losing their special abilities, getting the nothic stat changes, and getting the nothic special abilities).
    -I like to modify nothics, the monsters, to be thaumovores. I don't know that this would play well with a PC nothic race, but I mention it.