New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Isekai where the MC is pissed and wants to go home

If you liked Rise of the Shield Hero, you might also like Arefureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest.

It has a similar premise - a class of high school students fall through a magical portal and into a D&D-esque world where they are hailed as the Chosen Ones Who Will Deliver Us From Evil, but in the first episode the group's Synthesist (a support class with no combat ability and who is regarded as a nerd by the Paladins, Barbarians, Wizards and Wrestlers in the group) is betrayed and left to die at the bottom of what is basically Mordor.

Through careful application of his class abilities in ways that no one else realised was possible, he survives, thrives, and almost single-handedly murders his way out of the dungeon, declaring that his former classmates left him to die and so he's quite willing to do the same in order to go back home and leave this crapsack world to stew in it's own folly.

There are also some - minor, and comical - elements of this in GATE: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri. The main character, Itami, is a surprisingly excellent soldier in the JDF and he's assigned to a contingent who explore through the titular Gate into anther D&D-style world... but all he wants to do is go home and check out the new comic books available at an upcoming convention. The show is mostly about what happens when feudal knights get it into their head to try and fight a modern military, or what happens when a dragon threatens a town and you know a guy with a couple of F-15's on standby, but "I just want to go home and have an easy life" is a reoccurring theme in Itami's motivation.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    It was during the first series, he's called that during the first arc. The second arc increases the Berserk reference by giving him a mini-Dragonslayer as a one handed sword.
    You forgot that the second arc also gave him a fairy companion.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2020-06-27 at 01:56 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    It's equivalent to the times I've seen people get annoyed at 'Prachett copied Rowling', the point of the anger was that you should read the older work before making such statements. Out of line certainly, but the for motivation was sound.
    Obligatory Penny Arcade

I am very, very guilty of this. Particularly taking young whippersnapper gamers to task about gaming history they should know despite not being born when it happened.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    You forgot that the second arc also gave him a fairy companion.
    I have actively suppressed most of the second and third arcs from my mind, because the second lost most of the good bits of the first arc and the third was just downright horrible.

But yes, and one which I couldn't care less about. Because I honestly like Puck, he served a purpose when he was first introduced (stopping Berserk from being outright depressing) and actually has a personality, while Yui just bores me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Obligatory Penny Arcade

I am very, very guilty of this. Particularly taking young whippersnapper gamers to task about gaming history they should know despite not being born when it happened.
    Oh, also as guilty as can be. I get even worse when a series is currently being published, at least read/watch the beginning before calling it out as 'fake'. Or do a basic google to make sure your facts aren't obviously wrong.

At the same time I'm guilty of it somewhat at the other end, but I saw twenty minutes of Twilight and it bored me, so I'm going to rant about why it's a terrible vampire story sometimes (much less often these days, mostly when somebody tries to get me to read the books).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

The 4th season so far looks like they learned.... though rumors that it's not made by the same people is floating

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

My knowledge of Japanese works is fairly limited, but it’s very common for people from our world being transplanted into a Western fantasy world to just want to get the forks out of there. This goes all the way back to the Wizard of Oz and Dorothy Gale.

Of course, they usually end up wanting to either stay or wanting to return.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2020-06-30 at 03:31 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I think such things will usually be limited to early issues, if for no other reason than seasons/books/issues of whining by the protagonist would get old. However, I'd point to the Guardians of the Flame series by Joel Rosenberg, wherein several college students are sent over to their gaming world. At first, most of them have the goal of getting him (one does not), but even after that, they occasionally have discussions about things they miss... like when a call and response password is a McDonalds jingle, since it would be something any of them could answer without a problem.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I think such things will usually be limited to early issues, if for no other reason than seasons/books/issues of whining by the protagonist would get old. However, I'd point to the Guardians of the Flame series by Joel Rosenberg, wherein several college students are sent over to their gaming world. At first, most of them have the goal of getting him (one does not), but even after that, they occasionally have discussions about things they miss... like when a call and response password is a McDonalds jingle, since it would be something any of them could answer without a problem.
    Thats a fair point, you probably COULD make a isekai where the entire focus is on getting home, but you would have to establish that its possible within the first season or two or else it would, as you said, get old fast. But even when they cant get home, just because they are now resigned after their third attempt to figure a way back failed, doesnt mean they are fine with being in this new world, they just accept they have no choice. So I think they would still count under this subject heading.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Thats a fair point, you probably COULD make a isekai where the entire focus is on getting home, but you would have to establish that its possible within the first season or two or else it would, as you said, get old fast. But even when they cant get home, just because they are now resigned after their third attempt to figure a way back failed, doesnt mean they are fine with being in this new world, they just accept they have no choice. So I think they would still count under this subject heading.
    Like beating the final boss sends them home, and they all live if they win but you can't participate once you die. Members drop off as time goes on Gantz style, and the horror of the place gets to them. Like having to wipe out the goblins who didn't really do anything wrong because they want to live and they have to to win, or having to decide between staying at a town to keep it safe and knowing leaving will see a cut scene wipeout of the real people there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    So, I've used threads on these forums to find some pretty good media: books, anime, TV shows. This post piqued my interest, so I headed over to Wikipedia (it has a VERY small page for this series). Series of ten books spanning two decades, interesting premise and description in your post... I need something new to read; I'll give it a try, I thought. I got it on kindle.

I didn't even last the first chapter. Heck, I didn't even make it to the introductory scene for the D&D meeting. Now, I've read plenty of books from the 1900s (this book came out in 1983, about six years before I was born). Some of them are good and age well, and others... not so much. This is DEFINITELY a "not so much." The interaction between the two characters in the initial scene had me cringing throughout. I had just paid for this, something that I was really hoping would be good, so I powered on through. Maybe it will get better as it gets into the swing of things, I thought.

I reached the following quote in the next character's introduction scene and quit right then: "All cripples fantasize, you see. They have to, just like normal people, although not always about the things normal people do." Now, I don't know what decade it became unacceptable to call physically handicapped/disabled people "cripples," but that's aged about as well as the N-word. That by itself, though, I could chalk up to terms falling in and out of acceptable use. But the second sentence... wow. "Cripples" versus "normal people?" And the sort of condescending narrator attitude feeling the need to explain that "cripples" fantasize just like the rest of us "normal people"? Nope. The only way I can see this book being accepted is by people who read it when it came out going back and rereading for nostalgia purposes, thus being capable of overlooking this kind of stuff.

Consider this my warning to everyone who read the quoted post and thought about going to read it like I did.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

And the sort of condescending narrator attitude feeling the need to explain that "cripples" fantasize just like the rest of us "normal people"?
    In that form of narration that are the characters thoughts/perspective he is being self mocking and rather bitter the whole scene. I mean you can consider it problematic for what the makes him think and the whole way it is handled, but you should properly separate character voice and author perspective so you can do it for the right reasons.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

I think I read that book. That's a deliberate setup. The character he ends up inhabiting is a dwarven berserker, and he ends up using some form of "I hate being helpless" when he's all manacled up somewhere as his internal mantra. He goes RedScreen and comes back to himself surrounded by a smashed wagon and a whole lot of Bad Guy bodies, and fairly happy with the results.

It's been a decade or more since I read it. Maybe it was on the Baen Free Library? They had character levels by letter instead of by number, and one of the starting characters had a bad moment of realization when his one-handed thief was in the middle of pick-pocketing someone...right?
    Last edited by J-H; 2020-07-01 at 03:27 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    I think I read that book. That's a deliberate setup. The character he ends up inhabiting is a dwarven berserker, and he ends up using some form of "I hate being helpless" when he's all manacled up somewhere as his internal mantra. He goes RedScreen and comes back to himself surrounded by a smashed wagon and a whole lot of Bad Guy bodies, and fairly happy with the results.

It's been a decade or more since I read it. Maybe it was on the Baen Free Library? They had character levels by letter instead of by number, and one of the starting characters had a bad moment of realization when his one-handed thief was in the middle of pick-pocketing someone...right?
    Yep.

It's definitely got its rough spots, but I think James Michael/Ahira's characterization works.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

"The Magic in this Other World is Too Far Behind"
    They summoned a mighty hero to face the Demon King.... and two bystanders got caught up in it.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.