New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default De-Bamfing the Spore Stalker

In my last session I was planning to drop a spore stalker on the party, since they’ve already encountered the mi-go on several occasions.

But then I noticed the Reactive Escape ability, which would be too much for the party to handle at their current level. So my question is, how would removing this one ability affect the creature’s CR?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: De-Bamfing the Spore Stalker

Why is it too much? It uses the creature's immediate action, so it can be used at most 1/round , and only when you are not using the paralytic spores ability (which also uses your immediate for that round).
    Hector Morris Ashburnum-Whit - Curse of the Crimson Throne - IC / OoC
    Bosek of Kuru - A Falling Star - IC / OoC
    Gifu Lavoi - Heritage of Kings - IC / OoC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

For the purposes of this thread, let's just say I want to remove the ability. What effect would that have on the creature's CR?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I would argue that, since the CR system is something that relies on very big assumption about party composition and abilities, and you are doing here a fine-tuned adjustment based on the specifics of your party composition and their abilities, it does matter why you think that the ability is too much.

It might be that the spore-stalked is a bigger CR than "the norm" for you party, and removing the ability would bring it back to its intended challenge rating.

But in general term: according to Pathfinder Bestiary Appendix 1 (Monster building), the spore stalker has the average HP of a creature of its CR (85), average ac (20), average attack & damage ("high attack" of 14 paired with "low damage" of 19), offensive abilities with a higher-than-normal-for-its-CR DC (19 instead of 17), and average saves. So one could argue that the extra offensive and defensive abilities already place the creature on the high bar of CR 7, and dropping the reactive escape would still leave it in the same general threat range.
    Hector Morris Ashburnum-Whit - Curse of the Crimson Throne - IC / OoC
    Bosek of Kuru - A Falling Star - IC / OoC
    Gifu Lavoi - Heritage of Kings - IC / OoC

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Instead of removing the ability, maybe randomize it. They can teleport reactively, but cannot choose where they go. They might end up teleporting 30' away from the party, or right into the party's best melee troops.
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

The BAMF stops it being shot to pieces at a distance especially if there's some battlefield control effect pinning it down. Up close the paralyzing spores are how it should use its immediate action. If your players are completely reliant on the former tactic, or perhaps on a single tank to protect the squishies, then I could see losing a CR as it loses its ability to dodge to cover or to bypass the front line.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Honestly the ability isn't that powerful anyway, it'll save if from a melee full attack once per round, but (barring a few natural attack based builds) noone is going to have more than two attacks anyway, and given its complete lack of ranged abilities it's going to have to get back in melee range to hurt anyone anyway. It has ethereal jaunt anyway, so can already very easily escape a bad fight or movement hindering spells.

I would expect it to use the paralytic spores most rounds anyway, unless the party has some sort of natural attacking blender or poison immunity they'll probably do more to protect it by forcing multiple saves vs paralysis.

So I say it doesn't actually change the CR.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground

It's purely defensive and can only be used when it's hit. And it doesn't stop that first hit, so it only really works against iteratives. I'd say removing it won't change the CR much if at all; -1 at absolute most.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)