New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Recommendations for good western non super hero comics?

I thought as manga reader I should try branching out into western stuff. I like super powers well enough but am not really all that interested in starting with the whole Marvel or DC stuff, so non super hero stuff.

Looking for something with overarching story arc, can be somewhat episodic but not only (unless it is mainly good comedy). I guess I know plenty web comics so I guess I mean the kind that got known via print media. Not counting webcomics, newspaper comics and childhood stuff like asterix and obelix I haven't read much. Sandman and um guess I also read some french comic whose name I can't remember because it was one a manga site (school setting with powers and many non humans in the cast (or was it mainly?) well whatever). So whatever gets recommended is probably unknown to me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Recommendations for good western non super hero comics?

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    I thought as manga reader I should try branching out into western stuff. I like super powers well enough but am not really all that interested in starting with the whole Marvel or DC stuff, so non super hero stuff.

Looking for something with overarching story arc, can be somewhat episodic but not only (unless it is mainly good comedy). I guess I know plenty web comics so I guess I mean the kind that got known via print media. Not counting webcomics, newspaper comics and childhood stuff like asterix and obelix I haven't read much. Sandman and um guess I also read some french comic whose name I can't remember because it was one a manga site (school setting with powers and many non humans in the cast (or was it mainly?) well whatever). So whatever gets recommended is probably unknown to me.
    {scrubbed}
    EDIT
    Spoiler: SFW cover
    Show

I's mostly episodic but there's an overarching plot loosely tying most books together.

Franco-Belgian comics are generally more thought of as each album being a complete story unlike manga or american comic books who tell their stories over a gazillion issues, so you'll have a harder time finding what you are loooking for there.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-07-17 at 05:17 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Non super hero, western but not necessarily American...

It's probably too episodic for your taste, but Michel Vaillant just might work. It's a racing comic. I haven't read too much of it myself, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think that while there is somewhat of a focus on formula 1 many if not most comics feature some other form of racing as the main subject instead, like Nascar, rally or setting the land speed record. Aside from the protagonists having the busiest race schedule ever and winning a lot the adventures are relatively grounded in reality, but with some stuff like a mysterious baddy throwing around bribes and sabotages here and there thrown in.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Beholder

Well, I'd guess The Walking Dead and Sin City are two of the really obvious ones.

And Locke & Key, Sandman, Preacher and Archie.

The 'Nam from Marvel.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Definitely second Locke and Key. You said you don't mind powers, but not into DC/Marvel, so I'm going to recommend Joe Hill's The Cape (the author's name is on there because it most certainly is not the short lived TV show). Powers, but not at all a Marvel/DC, or even Image or Valiant type superhero.
    But for anyone who is on this site and is looking for comics, I have to go with Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples. The elevator pitch was Star Wars meets Game of Thrones. It's won so many awards, for best continuing series, best writing, and best art. Really, really good series.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I will second Sandman, written by Neil Gaiman. Exquisitely well written, wonderful art, and each story-line is very different from the last so there's a variety of themes and subjects to engage with.

In a similar vein, I would also recommend Sandman's spinoff Lucifer. Lucifer Morningstar, aka, The Devil, cameos briefly in the Sandman and in doing so realises he's sick of ruling Hell. So, he packs up and moves to LA where he opens a nightclub - the single most powerful being in all creation just wants to be left alone to play the piano, but then one of his brothers turns up asking for a favour.....

For something very different, Transmetropolitan by Warren Ennis. We follow reluctant journalist Spider Jerusalem in the run up to the presidential election in the year 3000 or so, and explores the effects of hyper-capitalism and what governmental and society corruption will look like in a few generations from now if we don't start to think about what we're doing.
    Full of fantastic technology that might as well be magic, you're not left wondering where the author's political opinion lies but its expressed in a very artful way.

I'll also add another vote for Saga, an extremely good star-crossed-lovers-in-space story. Although I admit my bias, as I was reading the first issues roughly around the time that my daughter was born so the themes of family and parenthood are undoubtedly aimed directly at me.

And finally, Y: The Last Man, also by Brian K. Vaughn who wrote Saga. A mysterious virus suddenly kills every male creature on the planet, save for an aspiring stage magician/actor named Yorrick and his pet monkey Ampersand. Post-apocalyptic science fiction, though without zombies or the likes and very entertaining.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

If you can get your hands on it, then I recommend Thorgal - great graphics, well written, serious stories and a good balance between mundane and supernatural mostly taken from nordic mythology.

Invincible by Pascal Jousselin - the only true comic book superhero. There are many that play around with the medium, but noone does it so fluently.

Some other I wish was more easisly available, but I do not know, if it was ever translated to English: Funky Koval - just check the art at least, since the style is unique.
    Last edited by Radar; 2020-06-24 at 04:12 AM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Let's throw some horror into the mix with Monstress, where monsters with too many eyes intrude on a steampunk fantasy setting...
    Spoiler
    Show

and Black Monday Murders, which is what would happen if Old Ones ran Wall Street.
    Spoiler
    Show

Maus is, roughly speaking, the Schindler's List of comics. Being a comic of mice, cats, and pigs keeps it powerful but bearable.
    Spoiler
    Show

Web-turned-print comic FreakAngels follows a dozen twenty-something psychics struggling to safeguard a post-apocalyptic community in Britain. Also being adapted by Crunchyroll sometime this year, or so I hear.
    Spoiler
    Show

The Last Unicorn is originally a novel, but no less wonderful in comic form. One of my favorite opening paragraphs of all time, and just beautifully written from beginning to end.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone. She was very old, though she did not know it, and she was no longer the careless color of sea foam, but rather the color of snow falling on a moonlit night. But her eyes were still clear and unwearied, and she still moved like a shadow on the sea.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post

If you read Sandman, it has a lot of spinoffs that are of pretty good quality, two the Dreaming series, 3 different Lucifer books (Mike Carey's Lucifer, in particular, is amazing), 2 Death miniseries, Furies, several Books of Magic titles, House of Whispers.

Still in Vertigo we have some standalone titles:

Bill Willingham's Fables is a story of residents of Fairy Tales living in hiding in New York, if you played Wolf Among Us it is a prequel to the comics. It more or less branched into its own universe.

Transmetropolitan is a post-cyberpunk story of a Hunter S. Thompson-Esque journalist who is a horrible person but also does his most damn to do the right thing. Surprisingly politically relevant despite how ridiculous it is.

It is hard to tell if the Invisibles is a superhero series. It is a lot of thins, but mostly it is a story of a team of rebels fighting a secret war against secret forces of order trying to reshape the world to their liking. Matrix owes this series a lot.

Hellblazer is the story of John Constantine, a man who knows how to piss off entire heaven and hell. I recommend picking up his current, amazing, book and then work your way back through his classic series.

A number of standalone Vertigo miniseries - High Level (post-apocalypse), Goddesses Mode (adventures in virtual reality), American Carnage (white-passing FBI Agent must infiltrate white supremacists group), Hex Wives (Stepford Housewives meets the Rosemary's Baby)

Now going to independent, we have Image Comics, which has since 2010's been walking away from superhero comics for many different genres. You may have heard of the Walking Dead, which had near 200-issues run, but there is much more:

Spoiler: Image Books
    Show
    Saga is a science-fantasy adult comedy about a pair of soldiers from opposing sides of galaxy-spanning war who fall in love and run away, trying to escape two sides of the conflict that don't want their story to be known.

Monstress is a beautiful dark fantasy series in a world of lovecraftian horrors and talking cats.

Luther Strode Trillogy which consists of Strange Talent of Luther Strode, the Legend of Luther Strode and Legacy of Luther Strode is a story of a scrawny teenager who buys a training set that turns him into an outright superhuman...and makes a target of a secret society of superpowered serial killers.

Nailbiter - there is a small town in America that has produced several serial killers over the years. An FBI agent, the local sheriff, and her ex-boyfriend turned last of said killers, titular Nailbiter, try to figure out its mystery.

Paper Girls is basically Stranger Things but with time-travel.

Orc Stain - unfinished sadly series about an Orc thief who is only a relatively normal person in a world dominated by Orcs that have taken the obsession with their, as they call it, gronks, to a new extreme. Worth for amazing art and just how weird this world is.

Fell is a short-living but brilliant detective series about weird mysteries.

Phonogram - 3 miniseries in a world where music can give you magic powers.

Die is a dark, gothic take on Narnia - a group of kids entered magical world through an rpg. It left them traumatized for life. Now they need to return there as adults.

Morning Glories is about a group of teenagers sent to a mysterious, near mind-breaking school where they need to uncover its secrets to escape.

The Wicked + the Divine is the opposite of Phonogram fro the same creators - it concerns a group of artists with godlike powers and influence over the world who have been granted these gifts for a limited lifespan.

Pretty Deadly is a horror western with strong influences of folklore

Revival is a "rual noir" set in a town where dead suddenly came back to life.

Wayward is a story of Irish-Japanese girl moving with her father in Japan and how she discovers world of Japanese mythology and folklore still living in hiding.

Lazarus is set in a dystopian future where America has been divided by a group of rich families that rule it with an iron fist.

Rat Queens is a humorous take on D&D-esque fantasy.

Birthright is an "another world" fantasy story from a different perspective - a little boy goes missing and returns one year later as an adult, claiming he's been on an adventure in a magical world.

B*tch Planet is a science-fiction take on Orange Is New Black, focusing on a planet-sized women prison in a galactic dystopia and stories of women trapped in there.

Kill of be Killed - a demon saves a man's life and promises him to prolong it one month for every person he kills.

Leave It To Chance is set in an urban fantasy world and centers around 14-years old Chance Falconer, a member of a family that for generations battled supernatural threats. However, her father refuses to train her, leaving her to have to face the supernatural on her own.

Chew is a detective story of a detective who can experience murder by...eating pieces of dead bodies.

Deadly Class is set in the '80s and tells of a school for teenage assassins

Fatale is Raymond Chandler meets H.P. Lovecraft.

Descender and its sequel Ascender are stories of far future and a robot struggling to survive in a world where androids are outlawed.

Cassanova centers around a thief who is blackmailed to participate in "world-wide game of espionage"

Mage Trillogy consists of 3 series - a Hero Discovered, a Hero Defined and a hero Denied, all following adventures of a young man in a world full of magical threats.

Black Science is a science-fiction story about discovering means to travel through alternate realities and then adventurous ways in which the scientists who tried it need to go home

Mice Templar is basically a high fantasy series with chosen one destined to overthrow an evil king...except they're all mice.

Nowhere Men is a story of a team of four scientists who have reshaped modern culture in a similar way the Beatles have.

Oblivion Song is a fantasy post-apocalypse set in a world obliterated by creatures out of fantasy, focusing on survival in destroyed Philadelphia.

Sex Criminals - a group of people discovers how to stop time while having sex....and decide to use this to commit robberies.

Wytches is a horror story about a family being targetted by mysterious, vaguely human hags.

Prophet #21-45, the original series was a horrible superhero comic. The revival in issues #21-45 is a pretty damn good sci-fi Conan.

Outcast is a story of a man whose family has been involved with multiple posessions by demons trying to find out why.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Alan Moore's V for Vendetta should qualify. V is more of a reconstruction of a classic Count of Monte Cristo style hero than a superhero. Also, no one else in the comic is even near a superhero archetype, so it's definitely not a superhero world.

Also, the tone and subtext of the comic is somewhat different from the film. So, it's very much still worth reading even if you've seen the film.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

11. - Top - End - #11

If you don't mind classic-style superheroes, minus all the baggage that DC and Marvel have accumulated, Kurt Busiek's Astro City is very, very good. A lot of it is short character-driven vignettes, looking at life in the titular (superhero-laden) metropolis... in fact, the first collected volume is called 'Life in the Big City'.

Jeff Smith's Bone is a great, albeit slightly offbeat, fantasy epic. It starts off silly and veers into, well, epic territory fairly quickly as the peaceful setting the outsider characters (a trio of cartoony-looking 'Bones') is revealed to have rather more going on than first meets the eye.

Utterly mad comedy is the name of the game for Sergio Aragones' Groo the Wanderer, which has the rather noteworthy distinction of being an independent title with the same creative team (barring one change of colourist in the earliest days of the book) for the last thirty-eight years. Groo is a parody of the Conan-style Barbarian; the greatest living master of the blade, utterly undefeatable in battle (as in, if he gets involved in major open-field combat, the most likely end result is both armies dying), with a generally kind heart, utterly fearless... because he's too dumb to understand he should be afraid. Combine that with truly awful (or possibly just ridiculous) luck, and he tends to spread absolute chaos wherever he might wander. Also some of my all-time favourite art, with a cartoony, loose style that at first glance belies the fantastic level of detail in every square centimetre of panel space.

Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo may seem like an odd suggestion at first glance, but it is a Western comic, created by an artist born in Hawaii and published by Dark Horse (Stan is also the letterer for Groo the Wanderer). Set in an alternate feudal Japan, it tracks the journeys of Miyamoto Usagi, who happens to be a cartoon bunny with his ears in a topknot. Again, at first glance, cartoony, but the art is elegant and expressive- some of the best black-and-white work I've encountered over many years as a comic fan. While the characters are funny animals (you may actually have seen Usagi cross over with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), it is a deeply researched glimpse into Shogunate-era Japan, with occasional side-trips into the folklore and myth of that time. Fascinating, beautiful, and a lot of fun.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

It's not Western but you should look into Shamo and Vagabond. Two of the greatest manga ever written. Neither are shonen, neither involve super powers. The art in both are expressive, the stories genuine and deep.

For a Western comic, look up Digger. It's about a wombat that digs tunnels and finds a world beyond her understanding.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I throw Hellboy into the ring. And also support the recommendation of Sandman.

For something rather different, I really like the Knights of the Old Republic Star Wars comics.

And Dark Horse Conan.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Paracuelos is about life in the social centers for children in Spain under Franco. Warning: it will make you cry.

There’s also Persepolis which tells the story of the author growing up in Iran.
    Forum Wisdom

15. - Top - End - #15

GreenSorcererElf

I recomend Amulet and Cleopatra In Space.
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world

16. - Top - End - #16

BardGuy

I'll second "Bone" and "Groo, the Wanderer", and also recommend "Strangers In Paradise", a slice of life dramedy with dashes of crime thriller.
    “Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us, come because we actually deserve them? So now I take comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the Universe”- Marcus Cole

This has become my philosophy!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

American vampire can be kind of episodic depending on the issue, but regardless it's still wicked awesome. I probably like Sweet as a character way more than is healthy, but it's a very fun read.

18. - Top - End - #18

GreataxeFighterGirl

These can probably be read in one sitting, but maybe:

I Kill Giants -- a young girl believes herself to be a giant-killer

Nimona -- a villain teams up with a shapeshifting girl

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think you can go wrong with anything by Gene Luen Yang. I haven't read everything he's written, but everything I have read has been excellent.
    I'd recommend starting with American Born Chinese, which is kind of about a Chinese American student trying to fit in at school, but also manages to tie in the story of the Monkey King from Journey to the West.
    From there, I'd also recommend Boxers and Saints, a duology about the Boxer Rebellion in China with a bit of a supernatural twist. One book tells the story from the side of the Boxer rebels, while the other side follows a Chinese girl who found more of a home with Christian missionaries than with her own people.
    I also loved The Shadow Hero, which is a reimagining of an obscure WW2-era superhero named The Green Turtle as a Chinese-American superhero taking on the triads that killed his father and terrorize his neighborhood.

Six-Gun Gorilla by Simon Spurrier is pretty good. the titular gorilla is not actually the main character, but he does show up and cause plenty of carnage. The story has some pretty solid themes and surprising depth considering the name.

Niourk by Olivier Vatine is an interesting one. It's about a child on a post-apocalyptic Earth where the oceans have dried up and humanity has fallen back to being primitive hunter-gatherers. Among other things, he eats someone's brains, tames a grizzly bear, and develops strange powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

I have been reading a lot of non superhero comics recently. In no particular order here are my recommendations from what I have read. Happy to go into more depth or answer any questions.

100 Bullets

A crime noir story set in modern day. People of various (usually low) situations are presented with a gun, 100 bullets of untraceable ammunition, and a dossier on the person responsible for their situation. Starts off as an anthology type story and over time a lot of the pieces start coming together.

Curse Words

A wizard is sent to Earth with orders from his dark master to suck the power from this world. He ends up thinking Earth is pretty cool and sticks around. Over the course of the comic he defends Earth against his former master and minions. This one can be a little silly/funny at times but overall pretty fun.

The Wicked + The Devine

Every however many years, a pantheon of Gods are reborn. They have powers and rely on fame and adoration to fuel them. The powers part is fairly minimal as this one is more of a murder mystery as someone is killing the current pantheon.

Saga

Is a really interesting space Romeo and Juliet style story. A lot happens and there are a lot of twists. I wish there was more of it as I feel it was an improvement on the writer's other big work which is...

Y the last man

It has already been mentioned but I would recommend it. After some crazy virus? Curse? Other? Kills every male on the planet, a young man Yorick and his pet monkey depart on a cross-country mission to find his girlfriend. And save the world too I guess. It's a great story, I just personally think it took a bit too long to tell. A lot of "side quests" if you will.

Preacher

A violent and crazy journey through the United States South. Basic premise is a Texan preacher gets the "voice of god" which can command people do follow his commands. He is not the best guy and has a troubled past which catches up with him often, but he tries to be a good person. He teams up with his ex girlfriend and an Irish vampire to literally find God. Not for the faint of heart.

The Boys

This was the authors attempt to "out-Preacher Preacher" on the crazy violence and not okay content. Spoiler. He succeeded. This one might be to super powery for you as it is very much on a knock of comic universe. Superheroes are generally conceited jerks, uncaring about their collateral damage. "The Boys" keep them straight and knock heads when they misbehave... which is a lot. I know this wad made into a show, but I haven't seen it.

Hellboy

It has been slightly more in the mainstream and around a lot longer. But the comic is a lot different than the films. The bringer of the end of the world decides he would rather hunt monsters, ghosts, and the occult.
    Read a finished campaign journal of a homebrew Ravenloft game here

21. - Top - End - #21

For a shorter series (due to rights issues), John Rogers Fell's Five series from IDW (collected in three trades). If you watched and enjoyed Leverage or The Librarians, you know what you're getting. Khal and O-Chul should team up for paladin adventures across time and space.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

These threads are almost self-defeating, since you'll never be able to rad (let alone find and afford) everything everyone recommends.

All the same, I'll throw in Craig Thompson's Blankets which is one of the two or three most moving pieces of art I have ever experienced. All of Thompson's work is exceptional. But that one really hit me deep deep in the feels. I own it but I haven't re-read it.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Niourk by Olivier Vatine is an interesting one. It's about a child on a post-apocalyptic Earth where the oceans have dried up and humanity has fallen back to being primitive hunter-gatherers. Among other things, he eats someone's brains, tames a grizzly bear, and develops strange powers.
    I remember reading the book it was adapted from when I was little.
    That was weird.
    Forum Wisdom

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Most things by the GREAT Will Eisner. "A Contract With God" and while "The Spirit" being two main ones. While the main character of the Spirit is a crime fighter, he's a normal human and the stories tend to be realistic as well and dark and gritty.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    These threads are almost self-defeating, since you'll never be able to rad (let alone find and afford) everything everyone recommends.

All the same, I'll throw in Craig Thompson's Blankets which is one of the two or three most moving pieces of art I have ever experienced. All of Thompson's work is exceptional. But that one really hit me deep deep in the feels. I own it but I haven't re-read it.
    Shouldn't take more than a few months if I wanted it read everything. I won't of course and just pick some. But there are usually interesting suggestions.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Also many local libraries have online catalogs of comics, movies, books, etc. to check out. Some branches have trade paperbacks too.

Everything on my previous post I have read for free via my library.
    Read a finished campaign journal of a homebrew Ravenloft game here

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If you can find it, I can recommend The Black Moon Chronicles.
    Very well drawn fantasy epic, based on the author's hillariously stereotypical D&D campaign.
    -
    What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
    -

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post

Libraries can be of a lot of help here. Most have built up graphic novel collections, and even if they don't have it, many can try to get it from other libraries. Every title I mentioned in my post is available at my library, and I recognize a good number of other people's suggestions from our collection as well. And we're at best a mid-size library with a fairly small collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I remember reading the book it was adapted from when I was little.
    That was weird.
    I was actually quite surprised to learn that it was based on a story from I think the 1950s. The comic really felt like something that would have been written within the last couple years.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

I will also recommend Transmetropolitan and Fables as have already been mentioned.

I'd also recommend Rat Queens, a post-modern fantasy comic about a party of female adventurers. The ladies are foul-mouthed monster-slaying badasses. There's a voodoo-priestess cleric who rejects the Lovecraftian eldritch god her people are bound to, a halfling rogue who seems to subsist on nothing but drugs and candy, a dwarf fighter who shaved her beard before it was cool, and an elf wizard with a very dark past involving deals with the devil.

Another good one is East Meets West a weird Western graphic novel about Death (of the Four Horsemen) who has abandoned the other three and a conspiracy to bring about the end of the world. A little bit six-guns shooting, a little bit king fu fighting a little bit mysticism, a little bit future-tech.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

Something a friend recently gave to me which I like a lot (I mean, it's nowhere near the absolute top like Sandman or Hellblazer, but it's really good) is Chew. It's a weird, absurdist, quite foul-mouthed comedy crime investigation thing.

So, it's a world built entirely around food. It's set in a world where chicken is outlawed due to a new mutated super bird flu that killed 20 million Americans. It follows a police detective named Tony Chu, who is chasing down a murderous ring of fried chicken smugglers. He has the psychic powers to get an impression of the life and death of any food he eats, so eventually he is hired by the Food and Drugs Administration, which is an international ring of secret super agents in this universe, to chase down strange murders, a possible vampire, a strange mutated plant from a foreign country that tastes exactly like fried chicken, Area 51, a cult of secret chicken worshippers, North Korean agents and the greatest chef in the world, who can make food so good, it kills people from sheer joy... a lot of really weird stuff, basically.
    Resident Vancian Apologist