New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Gnome from Faerun brought foxes from France

I could have sworn I read somewhere that a gnome went to our world and brought back a few animals. Anyone have the link for that source? I think it was one of the developers in a post mentioned it.

Thanks in advance. Tried googling, but no luck. Kept getting real world equivalent posts.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: Gnome from Faerun brought foxes from France

As dismayed as I am that the Forgotten realms is technically within the same cosmology as the actual factual planet earth, I actually have your link right here.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marcelinari View Post
    As dismayed as I am that the Forgotten realms is technically within the same cosmology as the actual factual planet earth, I actually have your link right here.
    Unless I'm mistaken, hin is the Halfling word for Halfling, so I guess it's actually they that are at fault. Greyhawk is also occasionally connected to Earth, I believe. I wonder if it has any similar weird crossover lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Fantastic! Thank you so much. A 2016 AMA too, more recent than I thought and closer to cannon.

Thanks again!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, hin is the Halfling word for Halfling, so I guess it's actually they that are at fault. Greyhawk is also occasionally connected to Earth, I believe. I wonder if it has any similar weird crossover lore.
    I mean, there's the god Zagyg Yrag, god of humour, weird lore and random chance, who used to be a pretty obvious expy for Gygax. More a reference than a crossover, though.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2020-06-25 at 02:43 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

How is this concerning, or even surprising? I figure Ed meeting with Elminster is probably a famous trope or something, and numerous modules (and rules) provide passage to Earth. And D&D has *always* been rife with Earth culture, artifacts, etc. - them *not* being connected would seem the strange, dissonance-causing conclusion to draw.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I’m not concerned or surprised by the Forgotten Realms-Earth connection, I’m dismayed at being reminded that it’s canon, because I don’t like it conceptually. In general, there’s no need to justify things like “renard is the word for fox because a halfling introduced the first foxes to the forgotten realms by importing them from 12th century France”, when you can justify it by saying “this creates narrative resonance with folk tales and myths that we, the players, recognize, allowing us to read deeper meaning into the cultural and mythic stereotypes these people associate with foxes”. Just my take on Ed Greenwood’s framing device.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I’m not concerned or surprised by the Forgotten Realms-Earth connection, I’m dismayed at being reminded that it’s canon, because I don’t like it conceptually. In general, there’s no need to justify things like “renard is the word for fox because a halfling introduced the first foxes to the forgotten realms by importing them from 12th century France”, when you can justify it by saying “this creates narrative resonance with folk tales and myths that we, the players, recognize, allowing us to read deeper meaning into the cultural and mythic stereotypes these people associate with foxes”. Just my take on Ed Greenwood’s framing device.
    But that's just so lazy, it's like pretending you're speaking Elf instead of inventing a whole Elf language and making your players speak it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Greyhawk is also occasionally connected to Earth, I believe. I wonder if it has any similar weird crossover lore.
    As per the Wizards Three column in Dragon Magazine, Elminster regularly met with Mordenkainen and Dalamar on Earth (in Ed Greenwood's study, naturally), so Toril, Oerth, and Krynn are all connected to Earth.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    But that's just so lazy, it's like pretending you're speaking Elf instead of inventing a whole Elf language and making your players speak it.
    Tolkien was a closeted hardcore LARPer, and nobody will ever remember him for it solely because of the prejudices of his time. Sad.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.