New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon? 3: The mods must be crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Gandalf had already been killed at least once prior to the fight with the balrog.

1.) Since he's secretly one of the ainur
    2.) Silmarillion states that all of the ainur have the ability to shapeshift
    3.) This power seems to be severely curtailed if an aimur has previously been killed
    4.) Gandalf never seems to use this power even in situations where it could have both proved useful and not blown his cover
    The Istari were given human bodies with human needs (like food and sleep) and even (albeit very slow) ageing. This is the likely reason they can no longer shapeshift.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Okay, this might be a complicated one. Strap in. Time for another Star Trek headcanon.

Ready? Zephram Cochraine didn't invent warp drive.

Wait. Of course he didn't. We all know that. The Vulcans and Klingons and Andorians and a slew of other species all had it long before humans did. It's pretty clear from context that humanity's reverence for Cochraine wasn't because he literally invented FTL, but because he worked it out for Earth specifically, allowing humans to take their place among the stars. Cochraine invented warp like Newton invented gravity. He formulated it into something useful for a particular culture, from which that culture benefited. For crying out loud, this is canon, not headcanon.

Right, but my headcanon is literally -- Zephram Cochriane didn't invent WARP DRIVE. He invented something else.

There are two things about the canonical presentation of ZC and how his work fed into warp drive that have always stood out to me as... weird. The first is pretty much what I mentioned above. At least semi-canonically, Vulcans have had warp drive for at least three millennia. Other races have had it for centuries. Yet it looks like Starfleet's ship designs all follow Earthling build patterns. Namely paired nacelles and an overall hull configuration. Sure, that could be due to the influence of humans over Starfleet, but what if it was more than that? What if that design was inherently better?

The other thing that I keep getting hooked on like the pockets of a dad's cargo shorts on a cabinet door handle while he's just trying to get breakfast made for two hungry kids is -- that initial flight of the Phoenix in Star Trek: First Contact. When the test run ends and they power down the engine, the ship flips around and we can see Earth. Now, granted, it is "so small" at that point, but how far away are they from it? It's hard to know, but eyeballing it, it doesn't look like it's much more than three or four lunar distances away. Four lunar distances is roughly 1.5 million kilometers. It would take light about five seconds to cover that distance. But if we add up the time we see the Phoenix performing that flight, we get at least 15 seconds of "warp" time.

Canonically or at least semi-canonically, warp 1 is roughly the equivalent of 1C. I don't know if they've ever come out and said that on-screen anywhere, but circumstantial evidence for it is pretty high. I mean, warp drive is presented as a form of FTL, so it makes sense that the slowest speed it can go is at least FAL. The fastest the Phoenix could be traveling is 0.3C. Warp speed this ain't! Also, during the flight, we cut away to a fairly lengthy mano-a-cyborgo-a-droido fight in the Enterprise engine room. This fight scene consumes about 45 seconds of screen time. Now I know that movies aren't always literal like this and the Phoenix scenes could be at least partially in parallel with the fight scene. I'm not saying the Phoenix's flight was one minute. But I am saying it's at least 15 seconds and could have been longer. We just can't know with precision. I'm also just roughing the distance the ship traveled. I picked four lunar distances more or less out of a hat. It could be five, it could be three.

I'm going to pick a range. The Phoenix traveled a distance between 1.2 million and 1.5 million kilometers -- just over three to just under four lunar distances -- in a timespan of 16-20 seconds, for an average speed of 0.25C. I admit I'm picking this average speed because it bolsters my headcanon, but it doesn't contradict anything we see on the screen itself. Why is 0.25C important? Some of you may know the answer.

Spoiler: Spoilers for a very old Trek novel
    Show
    Back in 1988, Diane Carey published a surely non-canonical Trek novel called Final Frontier. Not to be confused with Shatner's movie of the same title, which came out the following year (imagine Carey's frustration over that). That book deals with the creation of the Constitution class as a whole, and centers around the unnamed prototype. At one point during the story, when the ship uses its impulse engines, Carey describes the propulsion mechanism as a kind of controlled space warp pulse. The pulse creates a subspace shockwave which the ship "rides" at very fast but sublight speed. This is so similar to how most of us think of warp drive that she even tagged a character to be confused about the difference and be set straight by the engineers. Internally-Metered Pulse Drive was not warp drive, but operated using some of the same fundamental principles. Yes, sure, I know, FF is not canon. I'm not sure impulse drive has ever been canonically explained, but most modern semi-canonical sources describe it as a reaction-based system that literally shoves mass/energy out the back of the ship to move it forward. I don't think that's very plausible, personally, and I've always preferred to assign Carey's version of the system to what I'm seeing on screen. And you bet your targ I'm going to do it here!

Back to 0.25C. While the actual velocity of impulse drive also has never, to my knowledge, been stated on screen, a number of technical manuals put "full impulse" at... wait for it... 25% the speed of light. Hey, look, 0.25C! You know what this means?

Zephram Cochrain invented IMPULSE DRIVE!

Okay, but wait. ZC is known as the inventor of warp drive. While "inventor" may not be literally accurate, why is he associated with warp drive and not impulse drive. And what's the big deal with impulse drive? Why would he get so much adulation? I'll follow up on my next post.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Following up to Zephram Cochraine invented Impulse Drive (not Warp Drive). See my previous post in this thread for part 1.

If Cochraine really invented impulse drive, why is he seen as the creator of warp drive and why is he so revered? Dammit Jim, impulse drive isn't even FTL!

This is a little more convoluted. The short version is -- the warp drive that the Vulcans, Andorians, Klingons, et al historically used is significantly different from the warp drive we see in Trek starting with Star Trek: Enterprise. Fundamentally we're still talking about using gobsmackingly-huge amounts of energy to bend and twist the fabric of spacetime and then ride those distortions at an effective velocity much greater than those slow-poke photons. What ZC did was unlock a process by which this could be done much, much more efficiently, reliably, and safely.

Spoiler: That novel again?
    Show
    Yup, I'm going back to Carey's 1988 novel, Final Frontier. In that book, there's a throwaway line about how the Connie's engine was capable of "sustained warp." It's been decades since I read it but I don't think the book gets into too much detail about what that meant, aside from the idea that prior to whatever innovation behind this new system was, warp travel was more like a big hyperspace jump (or set of the same). I'm not taking that idea directly for my headcanon, but I'm allowing myself to be influenced by it.

During the millennia that the Vulcans had warp travel, the process by which they created their warp fields was nearly physics-breaking. For some reason -- maybe they had access to a quantity of antimatter unlike most other spacefaring nations -- the Vulcans employed stupidly-overpowered warp engines that consumed quantities of power that would be ridiculous even by Geordi's standards. If the Vulcans had the corner on the antimatter market (what if they had an actual antimatter asteroid somehow tucked away in their planetary system?), it might make sense for them to push the idea that efficient warp drive was impossible. I mean we've seen this kind of attitude from them a lot. Once the Vulcans decide something cannot be done, they simply stop trying, and will discourage others from trying too. And we know they're not above deception, espionage, and even sabotage to keep the status quo. They're related to Romulans, after all. This kind of resource-driven superiority over their neighbors would give them a lot of leverage, at least locally within the galaxy.

So for centuries or even millennia, the Vulcans have used raw power, quite literally, to strong-arm their neighbors into only using or developing warp theories that jive with their own systems, using both carrots and sticks to make sure everyone stays in line. Now, of course, this kind of thing can't go on forever. While an entire asteroid of antimatter would provide millennia of power, it's not infinite. Sooner or later, the Vulcans would start to lose their advantage. Real life history has examples of this. And if the Vulcans could overcome millennia of their own ideology and begin experimenting with more efficient modes of warp field generation, it would tip their hand to their neighbors that such a thing is possible. To pick just one example, if the Andorian sphere of influence has been kept small by Vulcan manipulation, they might also be more nimble, and be able to leverage any new warp theories faster than their "overlords." They would be particularly motivated to shake off that yoke and perhaps exact a little revenge on top of it. So the Vulcans needed a new player to come along and present the finished product. Someone they could manage and encourage without drawing too much attention. Unfortunately, they found humans.

Okay, back to Cochraine. I'm not going to try to describe exactly what he did in Technical Manual detail. But basically, he worked out a way to generate layers of micro warp fields that stack up on top of each other. Doing it this way creates a much more efficient overall field, with the limit that you have to ramp up your speed over time. The most he could get out of the Phoenix was enough to get him up to 0.25C, but it proved the basic theory. In the years following that first flight, he and his team (eventually including a young Henry Archer) worked out how to break the "time barrier" (which has nothing to do with time travel and is more technical a term involving warp frequencies) and get to 1C. From there, warp mechanics proceeded much like canon presents, with the Vulcans overseeing humanity's progress and offering suggestions. One of the artifacts of that oversight was humanity adopting the centuries-old Vulcan speed scale, from which we get the semi-canonical "warp factor cubed times C" speed. As we'll see with my next Trek headcanon, that gets blown away by an obscure Starfleet engineer known as Montgomery Scott.

So in the end, Cochraine's actual, specific innovation is still used to this day in the form of impulse drive. We could imagine that might be like his Special Relativity. Working with others, he refined it into his General Relativity, which is modern warp travel. This form of travel is so efficient and reliable that it allowed humanity to expand into the local galaxy faster than even the Vulcans could anticipate. It also set the standard for all Starfleet warp vessels, and eventually those for the Federation as a whole. It's this rapid expansion of humanity's influence into space that Cochraine is really remembered for, and his key insights that benefitted not just Earthlings but Andorians, Tellarites, and eventually even Vulcans.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Because of the recent release of Deltarune's second chapter, I've been thinking about the power of Determination from Undertale and my headcanon/theory is that it has a weakness. the beginning of Deltarune has you agree that "You will accept everything that will happen from now on" while in Undertale:
    Spoiler: Undertale spoilers
    Show
    Chara will offer you a contract to get back the world after a genocide run.

Why are these two so significant? Because I think it has to do with Determination. Determination in that universe is the power to never give up, to keep going to incredible extremes. So when they do something, they keep doing it no matter what happens. If they make a promise, they will not go back on it. A contract or agreement is basically just a two-way promise that you hold to. Meaning the weakness of Determination is.....that it can't or won't break any agreements or contracts it makes, because it can't give up on holding itself to it even if makes no sense. This explains why the player don't have much effect on the story of Deltarune, because they agreed to accept that it has only one ending, limiting their determination from changing it. While in Undertale
    Spoiler: Undertale spoilers
    Show
    you can't get your soul back because you agreed to give it away to Chara. the player can't take it back with the power of Determination, because that would be going back on their agreement.

Meaning a human with Determination is much like a fair folk that can be trapped in a contract if your clever enough: if you get them to make the right agreement that you can exploit, you win.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #215
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Sailing into the West/Being taken to Avalon/Going beyond the Rim/etc. isn't really dying.
    Last edited by Corey; 2021-09-18 at 12:12 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Colossus in the Playground

Speaking of Deltarune, I very much like the headcanon presented by Austin in his "The Science" video on the game here.

For anyone who doesn't have time to watch a 12-minute video, the gist of the theory is that Kris isn't secretly evil, Kris has PTSD. Not sure from where, but Kris's behavior and the way the trip into the dark world is framed in chapter one very much maps to a common behavior of children suffering PTSD.

The video also argues that Susie is the real hero of the game.. Becuase she plays along with and befriends Kris, and that kind of understanding and support is the key to overcoming trauma-based mental illness.

I'm not sure how well that holds up in light of chapter 2, but... Honestly, this feels more on brand than railroading the player into playing the secret bad guy.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Sailing into the West/Being taken to Avalon/etc. isn't really dying.
    That's just straight-up canon, though.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Speaking of Deltarune, I very much like the headcanon presented by Austin in his "The Science" video on the game here.

For anyone who doesn't have time to watch a 12-minute video, the gist of the theory is that Kris isn't secretly evil, Kris has PTSD. Not sure from where, but Kris's behavior and the way the trip into the dark world is framed in chapter one very much maps to a common behavior of children suffering PTSD.

The video also argues that Susie is the real hero of the game.. Becuase she plays along with and befriends Kris, and that kind of understanding and support is the key to overcoming trauma-based mental illness.

I'm not sure how well that holds up in light of chapter 2, but... Honestly, this feels more on brand than railroading the player into playing the secret bad guy.
    I can't really respond, I've played chapter 2 already so I can't say one way or another. Its an interesting headcanon though.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-09-18 at 12:41 PM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    That's just straight-up canon, though.
    Depends. In LOTR, I'd agree. In Arthurian legend and close copies, it's less clear.

The particular case that made me think of it is an Arthur-to-Avalon knockoff where death seems to be strongly implied, namely:

Spoiler: Series of novels
    Show
    The story Ciri tells Galahad at the end of the Witcher novels.

Or to dig into the "Beyond the Rim" example I had in mind:

Spoiler: TV series
    Show
    One the one hand, it seems likely Sheridan's consciousness will continue. On the other hand, he's mourned as if he's dead, his departure is proposed as required by his (otherwise?) inevitable death, and in a flashfoward Delenn later speaks of him in the past tense.
    Last edited by Corey; 2021-09-19 at 05:51 AM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Well, Arthurian legends' Avalon as the land of fairy folk is a christianized version of Celtic pagan realm of the dead. So, difference between them is kinda blurred.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Firbolg in the Playground

Perhaps. But part of Arthurian legend is a prophecy that someday he'll return
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

12. - Top - End - #222
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

The use of the word "determination" in Undertale is a pun. Yes, it means "refusal to give up," but it also means you, being the player, literally determine how the story goes.

13. - Top - End - #223

In The Shadow out of Time the narrator's inability to lead the archaeologists back to the ancient library is by design. If they had disturbed it the yithians would have know abut it beforehand and taken action to prevent it. In order for history to remain consistent the excavators would necessarily need to be unable to fimd it

EDIT:
    On a related note, the number of yithian minds is fixed and the ones in every of earth's ages are the very same ones who originally fled their dying homeworld. It must be so because there no actual yithians ever came to earth, only their projected minds
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2021-10-26 at 09:50 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    The use of the word "determination" in Undertale is a pun. Yes, it means "refusal to give up," but it also means you, being the player, literally determine how the story goes.
    I always figured it was meant to echo determinism, as in the philosophical idea that all future events are set in stone by whatever came before them.

Which is both true for the game, and not (because you, the player, have agency over the events of the game, but your actions will always have the same consequences). Which ties super well into the metacommentary the game made on morality systems and choices in games.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

15. - Top - End - #225

The Creature from the Black Lagoon is either a Deep One, or one of the beings of Ib. In addition to sharing many characteristics with both, one of the movie's main characters, Dr.Mark Williams, becomes deranged after encountering it.

Omegaupdate Forum

16. - Top - End - #226

In the episode of the Simpsons where Abe needs a kidney transplant, Dr. Hibbert faked the x-rays showing that Abe's kidneys exploded.

1: It is both medically impossible and physically impossible for the kidneys to explode becuase you held it on too long. The blader exploding is more likely, but even then most people would involuntarily piss themselves well before getting to that point.

2: Part of the conflict of the episode is that the hospital actively withheld information from Homer regarding the risks and side effects of donating a kidney until the last minute, causing him to panic and run away. This is blatant a violation of medical ethics and I'm pretty sure also a crime.

3: At the end of the episode, Dr. Hibbert just flat out steals Homer's kidney while Homer is very, very badly injured. This could have easily killed Homer, and is definitly illegal.

We are flat out told that this process drastically shortened Homer's life to put a slight extension on Abe's.

Since Dr. Hibbert practiced unethical, manipulative, and flat out illegal tactics to get Homer's kidney for Abe, I find it highly plausible that while checking over Abe for damage after the "loud popping" sound that Abe's body made, he realized that Abe's kidneys were failing and falsified records to try and save his patients life.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    1: It is both medically impossible and physically impossible for the kidneys to explode because you held it on too long. The bladder exploding is more likely, but even then most people would involuntarily piss themselves well before getting to that point.
    Throughout history the odd person has killed themselves by suffering a burst bladder after "holding it in too long" e.g. at a formal feat when it was very impolite to leave the table to relieve oneself.

Burst kidney? - no chance, it's not a holding vessel, it's a filter

18. - Top - End - #228

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Throughout history the odd person has killed themselves by suffering a burst bladder after "holding it in too long" e.g. at a formal feat when it was very impolite to leave the table to relieve oneself.

Also, I'm pretty sure that if both kidneys ruptured as depicted in the episode that it would be fatal within minutes from internal bleeding. If you miraculously stopped that, all the toxins that were being processed are, instead of sent to the bladder to be disposed of, now spread across your abdominal cavity probably causing sepsis.

The lack of functional kidneys would probably be the least of your concerns if they somehow exploded.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #229

In the Cthulhu Mythos, Carcosa sprawled onto several worlds via gates and portals during the heyday of the Great Old Ones. Thus Carcosa is located somewhere in the Hyades Cluster yet there are ruins of Carcosa on Earth for the titular Inhabitant Of Carcosa to find himself in

Omegaupdate Forum

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

New Naruto headcanon: White Zetsu didn't get Wood Release from Hashirama Cells. Hashirama got Wood Release from Zetsu Cells.

For some reason Black Zetsu in his manipulations thought that if he found the next incarnation of Asura and implanted a small bit of white Zetsu in him, it would somehow help his plans. the white Zetsu fragment spread throughout Hashirama's body when he was like born or a child and mostly changed his DNA to use Wood Release, but didn't spread to his children, the zetsu implant only altering him. We know that the Zetsus existed before Hashirama did- what makes more sense? That Hashirama is born special for no reason, or that Black Zetsu secretly modified him with Zetsu cells early in life without his knowledge in hopes of kickstarting an age where it would be more possible to capture all the tailed beasts by empowering the person most likely to change the world in that direction, and predicted correctly? and that all this time, "hashirama cells" was just the most available form of Zetsu cells and no one knew it. Black Zetsu after all, admitted that he manipulated Madara into thinking that the Zetsus was his creation- why wouldn't he manipulate Hashirama into thinking that the Wood Release he had was his kekkei genkai? A kekkei genkai that his clan didn't have before or after him?

21. - Top - End - #231

In The Nightmare Before Christmas Christmas Town isn't as happy and generous as it appears, in much the same way that Halloween Town isn't as menacing or hostile as it appears.

EDIT:
    Also, the mayor of the Halloween Town is totally a Juggalo, based on the way his face is painted half the time (or that half his face is painted all of the time, depending on how you look at it)
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2021-12-13 at 04:52 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Heh, just found this thread, and I don't know if anyone has brought this up previously, but my favorite piece of recent headcanon is from Game of Thrones: People follow Jon Snow not because he's a great warrior or inspiring leader, but because after so many instances of him doing something foolish or reckless-- including getting himself killed at one point-- the gods always seem to bail him out, so he must obviously be their chosen one.
    My wife's version of this is: people, men and women alike, follow him because he's so good looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    For example, the favourite fan theory on how Jon actually won the election to Lord Commander was that it was Bloodraven's doing.
    Wait a sec, that's crossing over from (Act I) Diablo II/Sanctuary universe. And it's brilliant!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Rogue is potentially the most terrifying X-Men.
    Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Every Rambo movie after First Blood is just an elaborate hallucination inside Rambo's mind, after his breakdown and loss of sanity at the end of the first movie.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    Rings of Power Headcanon
    My headcanon is that for the 9 Rings, the stones in them were cubic zirconia, since the kings of men were easily fooled/duped. For the 7 rings Sauron had to provide real diamonds, since dwarves are a bit more savvy ...

1. Headcanon: Jimmy Raynor (Starcraft) is Gerard Butler'[s great (many times great) grandson (under the supposition that Starcraft takes place many centuries into Earth's future).

2. The Loch Ness monster is, in fact, Cthulhu. All you ever see is one, big tentacle.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-01-10 at 04:16 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

DBZ Head Canon: The Cell Timeline
    In the timeline where Cell killed Trunks before going to the past, what happened? Well since all saiyans and androids are dead in that timeline.....peace settles on the planet. the people left are Bulma, Master Roshi, Puar, Oolong and some others I'm forgetting. Since no Z-fighters are there, Babidi doesn't come with Dabura to resurrect Buu since the original reason he did so was to find strong power levels. Omni-King doesn't destroy this timeline, because Zamasu never shows up. Supreme Kai and Kibito just keep pursuing Babidi to some other planet and find some other way of foiling him, since there is no real indication there is any power levels strong enough in that timeline to bring Buu back, or they just pursue him long enough that Beerus wakes up and hakais Babidi and Dabura, then hakais the buu egg easily. Beerus never visits Earth because the prophecy about saiyans doesn't apply, Freeza never gets resurrected by the Earth Dragon Balls, so Earth can rebuild, probably with Roshi or Bulma going to New Namek and getting the Dragon balls to restore what they can....and nothing else bad happens because all the bad things that happen tend to happen because strong power levels were on Earth. Bulma and Roshi are older, but the setting has essentially reset back to base before Goku became a thing.

the only threats we know that could still exist in this timeline are those remnants of the Freeza force from Resurrection of F. they are probably still doing evil, but considering that they couldn't find New Namek, and haven't found Earth in any future timeline, they might've just run into Broly on Vanta and got killed by him.

But then again, Broly's father might've been able to use the tech of the remnant freeza force, went flying through space to finally get off Vanta, and somehow crash land on Earth....another saiyan accidentally arriving on Earth, and Beerus receiving a prophecy about a super saiyan god but this time about Broly. Here We Go Again.....

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Don't forget that all of Universe 7 just blips out of existence with no warning after a few decades because the Omniking just goes forward with his plans to delete all the "underperforming" universes.

25. - Top - End - #235

That seems to have been a bluff. It seems that the entire tournement was a test to see if a mortal for one of the underpreforming races would be selfless after literally fighting for their lives.

they flat ou say that he would have destroyed all the remaining universes if the winner had used the Super Dragon Balls selfishly.

Without Goku to put the idea of tournaments in Zeno's head, it's probable that nothing would happen.
    SD Gundam Force takes place partially in a world after a Bad End for Mobile Fighter G Gundam.

For Context, SD Gundam takes place in a world where, instead of giant robots piloted by humans by various means, Gundams are cute and roughly the size of human children with a Chibi aesthetic... While still being fully ****ional and Gundams. They all have their own independent conscious and are fully sapiant.

The setting is an conflux of three parallel dimensions: The main city where Gundamns are built like any other machine, Lacraoia, a parallel dimension with a medieval fantasy aesthetic where mechanical life forms up to and including magic-using Knight Gundams are created from magical eggs, and Ark where there are no humans or sapient organic life of any kind, only ki using Musha Gundams who are born, not made, and seem to have some kind of reincarnation system or regenerative immortality—it's noted that even if one runs out f energy entirely, that their soul is only sleeping and they'll be back eventually.

Aesthetically, the Gundams of the main dimension resembles the orignal continuity, the Knight Gundams of Lacraoia resemble Gundam Wing mobile suits, while the Musha Gundams resemble those from G Gundam.

G Gundam, meanwhile, takes place in a timeline with a heavy focus on martial arts, possesses Ki use and similar supernatural elements, and most importantly,t here's the overlaying threat.

The Devil Gundam: Originally known as Ultimate Gundam, Devil Gundam was the crowning achievement of Dr. Kashou and his son Kyoji. Combining biological matter with nanotechnology, the Ultimate Gundamwas composed of self-adapting, self-replicating, self-repairing "cells," and could thus maintain, repair, and upgrade itself without any outside output. It could even give birth to other mobile suits which could intern grown and evolve over time. Dr. Kashou was hoping that he would be able to replicate these traits into humans, granting them the ability to continue to heal and adapt, and even use the Ultimate Gundam to repair the earth itself after it was rendered barely habitable by centuries or war and pollution.

Then the military of the Neo-Japan Space Colony attempted to seize the Ultimate Gundam, its leader going rogue and hoping to conquer the known universe using Ultimate undam as a weapon. This failed when Kyoji piloting Ultimate Gundam fled to Earth and crashlanded, leading to a cover-up painting Dr. Kashou and Kyoji as traitors and basically setting up the whole series.

Ultimate Gundam was severely damaged in the crash, and while repairing itself it glitched out and decided that repairing the earth was its sole priority and that it had to kill all humans in order to do so, which led to it not only birthing an army of hostile mobile suits but infecting countless humans and pre-existing mobile suits with its sells creating an army of regenerating robot-zombies, leading to it being Rechristened the Devil Gundam.

...So. Back to Ark. the Musha Gundam, the only sapient life forms in their reality, machines that are born rather than made and don't seem to be able to permanently die. And use Ki.

So... Obviously, this is a timeline where the Devil Gundam wasn't destroyed. It succeeded in wiping out humanity, restored the Earth to a pristine state, its goal achieve it went dormant, and over time the remaining organisms and technology infected with DG cells evolved into the Musha Gundam, who developed Ki use because they live in a world where Ki is possible.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

New Naruto headcanon: White Zetsu didn't get Wood Release from Hashirama Cells. Hashirama got Wood Release from Zetsu Cells.

For some reason Black Zetsu in his manipulations thought that if he found the next incarnation of Asura and implanted a small bit of white Zetsu in him, it would somehow help his plans. the white Zetsu fragment spread throughout Hashirama's body when he was like born or a child and mostly changed his DNA to use Wood Release, but didn't spread to his children, the zetsu implant only altering him. We know that the Zetsus existed before Hashirama did- what makes more sense? That Hashirama is born special for no reason, or that Black Zetsu secretly modified him with Zetsu cells early in life without his knowledge in hopes of kickstarting an age where it would be more possible to capture all the tailed beasts by empowering the person most likely to change the world in that direction, and predicted correctly? and that all this time, "hashirama cells" was just the most available form of Zetsu cells and no one knew it. Black Zetsu after all, admitted that he manipulated Madara into thinking that the Zetsus was his creation- why wouldn't he manipulate Hashirama into thinking that the Wood Release he had was his kekkei genkai? A kekkei genkai that his clan didn't have before or after him?
    I dig it, adopted headcanon no matter if Boruto ever disqualifies this since my headcannon is the world lived mostly happily ever after the 7th Shippuden movie and Boruto movie.

DBZ Head Canon: The Cell Timeline
    -snip-
    But then again, Broly's father might've been able to use the tech of the remnant freeza force, went flying through space to finally get off Vanta, and somehow crash land on Earth....another saiyan accidentally arriving on Earth, and Beerus receiving a prophecy about a super saiyan god but this time about Broly. Here We Go Again.....
    The prophecy would require more sayans, so Broly either turns into benevolent Vegeta 2.0 or actually conquers earth and has a lineage of multiple Broly Jr. to achieve the SSG transformation.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EggKookoo View Post
    At least semi-canonically, Vulcans have had warp drive for at least three millennia. Other races have had it for centuries. Yet it looks like Starfleet's ship designs all follow Earthling build patterns. Namely paired nacelles and an overall hull configuration. Sure, that could be due to the influence of humans over Starfleet, but what if it was more than that? What if that design was inherently better?
    I realize it's a bit late to reply to this, but my take on this is that the United Federation of Planets is more of a confederacy than a federation (think Space United Nations, Space NATO, or Space European Union, not Space United States of America - or if you do think of it as Space USA then it's Space USA if Space USA operated under the Articles of Confederation rather than the Constitution) and that what we see in the shows is mostly centered around things happening in or near the (primary?) human member state's space and being dealt with by the (primary?) human member state's contribution to the common defense. From what little we see of the Federation's internal workings, member states seem to maintain a high degree of autonomy and quite possibly sovereignty after joining the Federation, the Starfleet that we see is very much a human-dominated organization (most of the personnel appear to be human, the primary training facilities and shipyards are seemingly in the human home system, the majority of the ships with known names are named after various things from human history, the ships use the USS prefix rather than something less blatantly modeled on the present-day US Navy ship prefix despite something like 'Federation Star Ship' making more sense as a Federation ship prefix than 'United Star Ship' (the 'United Space Ship' interpretation of USS might be slightly better, if 'United Space' or 'the United Space' or whatever is another name for the United Federation of Planets)), and the Federation starships we see pretty much all follow what Star Trek: Enterprise establishes as the human starship style rather than a fusion of the 'best' features of the Vulcan, Andorian, Tellarite, Human, etc. starship styles, so the Starfleet of the shows being the human member state's space navy operating under the aegis of the United Federation of Planets isn't much of a stretch to me.

Additionally, I personally find the idea that the human/Federation ship style is just 'better' somehow to be problematic; humanity (and thus the Federation) has had contact with at least the Romulans and the Klingons for a couple of centuries by the time of TNG/DS9/VOY and yet both of those empires maintain their own distinctive design aesthetics, so despite a long period of time where they're able to observe and presumably learn from a neighbor operating 'just better' starships they don't adapt any of the features of those 'just better' starships into their own designs? Are the Klingons and Romulans 'just stupid?' On top of that, there is the issue that when you look at the human/Federation ship style as a whole there are really only some general or broad similarities between the various ship types even within a single era - there's ships with one, three, or four nacelles instead of the common two; there's classes where the saucer and engineering sections are connected by a 'neck' and classes where the saucer and engineering sections are directly connected to one another and even classes that lack a separate engineering section; there's ships with dorsal nacelles and other ships with ventral nacelles and even a few ships with both dorsal and ventral nacelles; there's a lot of variation in how exactly the nacelles are connected to the ship (including some where the nacelles are built into the hull rather than being mounted away from the hull on pylons) and in the overall geometry of the ship; and so on. If there were clear advantages to a particular hull form for a particular set of design requirements, then you'd expect to see similar characteristics in ships designed for similar purposes - and even if the humans were the first to discover them you'd expect that after centuries of contact the Federation's neighbors would have started to adapt those advantageous features into their own designs where appropriate, especially when at least two of the Federation's neighbors supposedly have highly effective intelligence agencies.

There's also the issue that every now and then Star Trek features a starfaring species, such as the Borg, which is notionally more technologically advanced than the Federation, and yet when ships belonging to these groups are seen the ships tend not to have any particularly strong similarity to human/Federation ships.

Treating the Federation as a confederacy and the shows as dealing with things involving the human member state's space navy and happening in or around the human member state also helps address the issue that the stated size of the Federation (an interstellar union spanning 8,000 lightyears as of TNG) is too large for Federation ships to traverse in a reasonable time given the warp factor speed equivalency formulas in the writers' guides and supported by many (though by no means all) of the instances in the shows where a 'real' speed can be established for a given warp factor. Voyager expects to take 75 years to traverse 75,000 lightyears and DS9 tells us that the Federation's "fastest ships" would take 67 years to traverse the ~70,000 lightyears separating the endpoints of the Bajoran wormhole, implying a maximum (long-term sustainable?) speed of ~1,000c (Warp 10 under the TOS writers' guide scale of v = w3c, or Warp ~8 under the TNG writers' guide scale of v = w10/3c; it may bear mentioning that the TNG-scale equation supposedly only holds for w < 9) and often not supporting significantly higher speeds for higher warp factors when such can be established from an episode (e.g. several Voyager episodes supporting ~1500c to ~3000c for Warp 9.975). Having said that, there's more than a few examples of times when the show writers very clearly were not bothered about presenting travel times and distances at a given warp factor which are even vaguely consistent with either the writers' guide formulas or other time-distance combinations which can be extracted from the shows - and that's without getting into the messes that are Cochrane factors (a multiplier for the warp scale speed equivalency formula such that vtrue = fcochrane * vnominal(w), with vnominal(w) being given by either the TOS or the TNG writers' guide equation depending on era; supposedly the average Cochrane factor in Federation space is ~1200, and yet very few Star Trek episodes support warp speeds normally being equivalent to hundreds of thousands or low millions of times the speed of light) and TNG-scale Warp 10+ (arguably Warp 9+, since supposedly the speed equivalency is well-behaved enough to approximate as v=w10/3c below w=9 but then rapidly approaches infinity as w approaches 10; regardless, there are episodes in shows nominally using the TNG warp scale that don't involve (attempted) time travel and yet involve attempts to exceed Warp 10, despite this necessarily implying an attempt to exceed infinite velocity and thus involving either negative travel time (if the greater-than-infinite velocity has no imaginary component) or an imaginary component to speed (with no attempt made to explore what it would mean to have a nonzero imaginary speed component or to explain why such would be valuable or desirable, even if only in Star Trek's typical technobabble)).

28. - Top - End - #238
    Pixie in the Playground

I might have more serious theories and hot takes to share later but my aboslute fav headcanon is that the 2004 Van Helsing movie is actually a self-insert fanfiction written by Wolverine (from the X-Men).
    Like that version of Van Helsing was already deliberately written to be a Wolverine Clone: Hugh Jackman playing a seemingly-immortal, amnesiac anti-hero who ends up with beastial powers and kills the woman he loved? Yeah, I see what you were trying to do here, Universal.
    So I like to imagine one of Wolverine's many Spunky Teen Girl Sidekick introduced him to fanfiction, and being the 200 year old man that he is, he decided that his fandom of choice would be Classic Horror Novels and Universal Monster Films and he wrote this utterly ludicrous fanfic about Basically Himself as Monster Hunter in the middle of a massive monster crossover.
    (Hey! Maybe check out my comic?)

It's not my fault I was born straight into the future.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post

Don't forget, there's also this guy....
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Naruto Headcanon:
    Humans could use chakra BEFORE Kaguya's descendants began mixing with the population. They always could use chakra.

How? Because Indra was the one who discovered hand signs, and the only descendants of Kaguya at that time were Hagoromo, Hamura, Indra, Asura and whatever offspring Hamura had at the time. But Hagoromo was teaching everyone how to use chakra that came to him. people that had only heard of Kaguya in legend know that she existed because of an apocalyptic battle that took a month for Hagoromo to win- and a distant rule of all the world before that. these people could not possibly have Kaguya's genetics in them, yet they learn jutsu just fine. furthermore the talking animals like the summoned toads existed during Hagoromo's time- they were when the Divine Tree was still a thing, they didn't arise after, and the since Divine Tree is all about absorbing and draining chakra from someplace, there is no reason to blame the divine tree for humans or animals somehow mutating them into being able to wield it because the divine tree doesn't radiate some magical chakra particles to make mutate like that- why would it? its a tree designed by an alien race to drain chakra, not emit it. any potential for chakra and wielding chakra was already within humanity and earth when Kaguya and the divine tree first arrived, or the tree wouldn't have been able to grow in the first place. Thus senjutsu was always possible as well.

This means Senjutsu is an Earth method of wielding chakra and has nothing to do with the Otsutsuki's. the hand signs/seals are also an earth method- we don't see Otsutsukis using hand signs at all.

Thus what Hagoromo actually did wasn't give chakra to humanity, but rather discover the potential they had to use it all along- the bloodline stuff was just kickstarted them to discover it. they might've discovered it or learned it from the talking animals anyways. Furthermore we know that Naruto's humans were warlike before Kaguya even conquered anything and even did so because she wanted to stop the fighting. Thus Naruto world's problems were always going to occur eventually, with or without Otsutsuki interference- the only difference is whether things like the sharingan, tailed beasts or the rinnegan exist within it. A world without Kaguya might just end with Sasuke and Naruto duking it out anyways- but with them both using Sage mode from their mentors and Sasuke not having a sharingan, but Naruto not having a tailed beast.