New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon? 3: The mods must be crazy

Given that Duck Tales takes place in the same world as Tale Spin (as demonstrated by the first episode of the new Duck Tales, where the boys try to take Donald's houseboat on a joyride to Cape Suzette), to me that implies that somewhere in the world of The Jungle Book there are wild animal versions of the Duck Tales cast
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Given that Duck Tales takes place in the same world as Tale Spin (as demonstrated by the first episode of the new Duck Tales, where the boys try to take Donald's houseboat on a joyride to Cape Suzette), to me that implies that somewhere in the world of The Jungle Book there are wild animal versions of the Duck Tales cast
    I also always thought Darkwing Duck and Bonkers are in the same world as Duck Tales and Tale Spin. Granted they're all Disney productions, so its not that far of a stretch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

3. - Top - End - #63

In the Paranoia roleplaying games, one of the following is true:

1.) There was no worldwide catastrophe. The Computer just malfunctioned one day. Any appearance of the outdoors being unpopulated is just because everyone has come to avoid the area where the bellicose mole people live.

OR

2.) Paranoia takes place in the world of Fallout

OR

3.) Paranoia takes place in the Demiplane of Dread from Ravenloft
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

4. - Top - End - #64

I've been trying to figure out what it means in Exalted when it says that the third circle demons are the "souls" of the Yozis, and what I've come up with is that basically they relate to the Yozis in the same way that the cast of Inside Out related to the little girl

Omegaupdate Forum

5. - Top - End - #65

The disease that destroyed Quinn's body in Sealab 2021 was COVID-19

Omegaupdate Forum

6. - Top - End - #66
    Colossus in the Playground

In Lilo and Stitch, our introduction to Lilo is her swimming deep off the coast to feed a peanut butter sandwich to a specific fish she called Pudge, and when questioned on why she claims that Pudge controls the weather.

We later find out that Lilo and Nani's parents were killed in an accident due to bad weather and this is all implied to have happened recently.

It's never outright stated but feeding Pudge and Lilo's other strange beliefs and odd behaviors all seem to be an attempt to cope with loss by finding reasons for it that she can interact with and control: "The weather isn't the interaction between a bunch f random factors, the water is controlled by a fish and if I feed the fish every day he won't make any more storms that kill people."

...And then the animated series has an episode that establishes that she still feeds Pudge every day, despite having a large "found family" style support network now and an increasingly large circle of friends that ultimate ends up consisting of hundreds of individuals.

So... She's still not coping. Still not processing her grief...

Which makes me wonder...

How much of what happened... happened?

I mean, one series of episodes was just multiple back to back episodes of characters from other Disney Channel Cartoons all happening to vacation in Lilo's home town, one at a time, and getting involved, and...

And here's the thing: One episode it's Kim Possible and her supporting class.

The series finale of Kim Possible was an alien invasion. On Earth, which according to Lilo and Stich is considered to be both an interesting point of study and a wildlife sanctuary that must be preserved at all costs--to the point of not letting the native life-forms know about outside civilizations beyond the bare minimum is necessary?

Where the Hell is the Galactic Federation Armada when there's an unauthorized invasion of the planet Earth?

It doesn't exist. Not in Kim's world.

The Lilo and Stitch Franchise is the fantasy of a traumatized grieving girl who can't process the things around her, possibly devolving into full blown delusion. The episodes of the series that crossed over with other Disney Channel shows were just cartoons that Lilo watched being incorporated into the fantasy.

I don't normally go for depressing headcanons like this, but this one honestly makes more sense than trying to reconcile all of the other inconsistencies that happen if you assume that all of those shows share a universe.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #67

Zalgo and Y'Golonac are the same entity

Omegaupdate Forum

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Never been one for fan fiction but I am fond of that Ed, Edd'n'Eddy theory that the Cul-De-Sac is an anachronistic purgatory. Each kid died unexpectedly in different eras of the 1900s and they all ended up in the Cul-De-Sac as some form of cosmic penance.

9. - Top - End - #69

A combination of a couple of different things I've seen around.

Shaggy Rogers served a tour of duty in Vietnam, handling a trained dog for sniffing out mines and stuff. One day he and his dog got lost in the jungle, faced repeated mortal peril via encounters with the Viet-Cong, and was ultimately forced to eat his dog to survive after he nearly starved to death—the dog starved first, he didn't kill it. He didn't have the stomach to do that to the animal he was trained to see as his partner.

Shaggy was discharged but he was traumatized by the entire experience: His supposed cowardice is actually PTSD, even the slightest hint of danger... It's not as bad as it could be, there are definitely people who got it worse, it's not like he has a flashback and hallucinates he's back in the jungle, but the slightest hint of danger, and he can't help but feel like he's in mortal peril, even if he knows better. And the guilt of having to eat his dog, really...

Scooby-Doo is the ghost of that dog, come back to establish that he doesn't hold being eaten against shaggy... And then he never moved on, instead electing to just hang out.

Scooby's cowardice exists for the same reasons as Shaggy's: He knows he's in no danger of dying, since he's already dead, but... Fear and trauma aren't rational.

The reason they eat so much, once you've (almost) starved to death, you never want to feel hungry again if you can help it.

And the reason they're so quick to assume that ghosts and monsters are real despite it always turning out to be a man in a mask? Becuase they know of the existence of one real ghost.

And no, I don't know how historically accurate the presence of Great Danes trained to sniff out bombs would be in the Vietnam War, all I know is that's a theory I've seen bandied about and I like it.

This is, of course, ignoring things like a Pup named Scooby-Doo as well as any modern "reboots" that move the timeline up enough that Shaggy is too young to have served in 'Nam.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-02-17 at 12:02 AM.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

........How do you explain Scooby-doo being solid enough to manipulate objects?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    He's a spooky ghostie. They do that.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    He's a spooky ghostie. They do that.
    ....No. They don't. Ghosts are literally defined by how they don't do that. Because they are incorporeal.

........Also why is Scooby the only ghost anyone can see or interact with? what makes him so special? wouldn't Scoobyworld be full of other ghost dogs doing his thing?
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-02-17 at 03:45 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

....No. They don't. Ghosts are literally defined by how they don't do that. Because they are incorporeal.
    Right, sure, except for...almost every piece of media ever made about ghosts, you're right on the money there.

........Also why is Scooby the only ghost anyone can see or interact with? what makes him so special? wouldn't Scoobyworld be full of other ghost dogs doing his thing?
    He's not the only ghost in "Scoobyworld". There are, in fact, at least 13 other ones.

Or, 15 if you include The Witch's Ghost and the ghost girl from Ghoul School. There may be more, iunno.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Right, sure, except for...almost every piece of media ever made about ghosts, you're right on the money there.

He's not the only ghost in "Scoobyworld". There are, in fact, at least 13 other ones.

Or, 15 if you include The Witch's Ghost and the ghost girl from Ghoul School. There may be more, iunno.
    1. If Scooby doo was a telekinetic poltergeist, he wouldn't be using his arms to eat things. I fail to see how "almost every piece of media" portrays what you claim. Ghosts are incorporeal, they are defined as things that can't interact with the physical world, any deviation from that is not changing that definition, just deviating. the archetype of ghost is being used therefore the archetypical ghost logic is being applied.

2. 13 ghosts of Scooby Doo was made in 1985. In the original series bible of Scooby doo, Shaggy and Fred are 17 years old. For Shaggy to have a veteran of the Vietnam War during 13 ghosts, he would be too old to conform to his canonical age. Therefore that series directly contradicts the theory, as Shaggy like most cartoon characters, does not age, and therefore isn't a vietnam war vet, as Rater himself said that this ignores anything where Shaggy is too young to serve in it.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

1. If Scooby doo was a telekinetic poltergeist, he wouldn't be using his arms to eat things. I fail to see how "almost every piece of media" portrays what you claim. Ghosts are incorporeal, they are defined as things that can't interact with the physical world, any deviation from that is not changing that definition, just deviating. the archetype of ghost is being used therefore the archetypical ghost logic is being applied.
    Look the "archetype" of a ghost is "dead person that's still active for some reason". Sometimes they fly, sometimes they don't, sometimes they wear bedsheets, sometimes they want to drag you to the underworld, sometimes they talk to you in dreams sometimes they are see-through, etc. Ghosts behave like the person telling the story want them to, claiming they shouldn't use their hands to touch things is like claiming a dragon with two legs should be called a wyvern: dumb.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-02-17 at 02:18 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Look the "archetype" of a ghost is "dead person that's still active for some reason". Sometimes they fly, sometimes they don't, sometimes they wear bedsheets, sometimes they want to drag you to the underworld, sometimes they talk to you in dreams sometimes they are see-through, etc. Ghosts behave like the person telling the story want them to, claiming they shouldn't use their hands to touch things is like claiming a dragon with two legs should be called a wyvern: dumb.
    you know whats dumber? Claiming that Scooby Doo is a ghost at all. because he isn't.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-02-17 at 02:21 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

Not all ghosts are incorporeal. Some are able to manifest physical form. You might notice that nobody points out "the ghost is solid" as a reason for why the Ghosts that Mystery Inc encounters are fake.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

you know whats dumber? Claiming that Scooby Doo is a ghost at all. because he isn't.
    You know what's even dumber? Posting this on a thread explicitly about fan theories that aren't true. It's literally the entire point of the topic.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

You know what's even dumber? Posting this on a thread explicitly about fan theories that aren't true. It's literally the entire point of the topic.
    Okay so according to you a headcanon can contradict canon all it likes without any logical basis then.

Cool.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-02-17 at 03:29 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Okay so according to you a headcanon can contradict canon all it likes without any logical basis then.

Cool.
    A.) Yes.

B.) It doesn't even contradict all that much in the "canon" except for your OWN headcanon that ghosts can't touch things.

Scooby-Doo is srsbsns, guys.

21. - Top - End - #81

Rynjin you're confusing Headcanon with fanon.

And I'd appreciate it if we could maybe move on. I didn't want to start a fight.

Headcanon: The people in Invader Zim are actually of average n intelligence: They seem to be so terminally stupid because Dib and Zim, our PoV characters, are so much smarter than average that the perspective of the other characters is distorted significantly.

(Zim isn't stupid, he's delusional. Note the difference.)

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Rynjin you're confusing Headcanon with fanon.

And I'd appreciate it if we could maybe move on. I didn't want to start a fight.

Headcanon: The people in Invader Zim are actually of average n intelligence: They seem to be so terminally stupid because Dib and Zim, our PoV characters, are so much smarter than average that the perspective of the other characters is distorted significantly.

(Zim isn't stupid, he's delusional. Note the difference.)
    Is this even headcanon? I'm pretty sure this is intentional subtext.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

On the subject of Scooby-Doo, I've always held a theory that (ignoring but as seen in the more modern movies or 13 ghosts) some members of the gang have had a few encounters with genuine ghosts or other supernatural phenomena. Or, at least, something that could be genuine.

This mostly serves to explain why Scooby and Shaggy are always willing to believe the place is haunted no matter how many times it is just a guy in a suit.

24. - Top - End - #84

Is this even headcanon? I'm pretty sure this is intentional subtext.
    If it's not explicitly stated then considering it true is headcanon.

Headcanon is assuming the trust of things that are plausible.

Fanon is assuming the truth of things that are explicitly non-canon or that.

For example, Matpat of Game theory posted a video on his Film Theory channel wherein he argues the plausibility that Profesor Membrane is secretly an Irken Invader who was sent to the "possible planet" location a generation ago becuase he was naturally tall and very intelligent and therefore a threat to The Tallest, then took over the Earth not for the Irkens but for himself... Via economic and technological conquest rather than militaristic force.

It makes a hell of a lot of sense... But no matter how much sense it makes, it's only a Headcanon if you accept it as true.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

If it's not explicitly stated then considering it true is headcanon.

Headcanon is assuming the trust of things that are plausible.

Fanon is assuming the truth of things that are explicitly non-canon or that.

For example, Matpat of Game theory posted a video on his Film Theory channel wherein he argues the plausibility that Profesor Membrane is secretly an Irken Invader who was sent to the "possible planet" location a generation ago becuase he was naturally tall and very intelligent and therefore a threat to The Tallest, then took over the Earth not for the Irkens but for himself... Via economic and technological conquest rather than militaristic force.

It makes a hell of a lot of sense... But no matter how much sense it makes, it's only a Headcanon if you accept it as true.
    My understanding of the terms has always been a bit different; headcanon is things that are plausible, and technically possible, but not stated or even implied by the text and fanon is just something that a FANDOM as a whole has adopted as pseudo-canon until/unless the canon directly contradicts it, and sometimes even afterward.

Eg. for Dragonball.

Subtext would be "Super Saiyan affects the character's mental state, making them more aggressive". It's never explicitly stated as far as I know, but very heavily implied.

Headcanon would be stuff like "Mr. Popo is a bound Majin". Never implied, almost certainly not true...but not impossible.

Fanon is stuff like "the stat boost Saiyans get after nearly dying is called a Zenkai Boost". Never stated in the text. Never stated in the guidebooks. Never officially confirmed or denied...but it is the most commonly accepted term for the phenomenon to the point that people actually believe it's an official term.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2021-02-17 at 06:15 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

The last one isn't fanon, it's just a fan-term.

Fanon would be the persistent belief in the Parahumans fandom that Amelia "Panacea" Dallon is an innocent woobie victimized by her abusive mother and her older sister's mind control aura when in canon she's a narcissistic, manipulative, sadistic bitch and an unrepentant rapist whose mother was at worst guilty of non-malicious neglect and her sister's aura has no long term effects as proven by the fact that other people who have had more exposure at a higher intensity have no such effects. She dodges responsibility for her actions, claims she wants to help people but refuses to do so to the best of her ability(and in the sequel, refuses to actually help people unless it's for her own gratification or to stop "helping" when it's obvious that she's making things worse until the worst possible time.)
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-02-17 at 06:27 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Fanon is basically just a widely accepted headcanon that's never contradicted.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

The last one isn't fanon, it's just a fan-term.

Fanon would be the persistent belief in the Parahumans fandom that Amelia "Panacea" Dallon is an innocent woobie victimized by her abusive mother and her older sister's mind control aura when in canon she's a narcissistic, manipulative, sadistic bitch and an unrepentant rapist whose mother was at worst guilty of non-malicious neglect and her sister's aura has no long term effects as proven by the fact that other people who have had more exposure at a higher intensity have no such effects. She dodges responsibility for her actions, claims she wants to help people but refuses to do so to the best of her ability(and in the sequel, refuses to actually help people unless it's for her own gratification or to stop "helping" when it's obvious that she's making things worse until the worst possible time.)
    Ehhh...that one's a little more complicated. I haven't heard anyone claim Amy is completely innocent, though the "both sides" argument is strongly represented. And it does have SOME truth to it. Her "mother" wasn't just neglectful, she actively pushed her into situations she, as a child, was not emotionally capable of handling. As did every other adult she ever interacted with.

The sheer, crushing responsibility and expectation that she be there to save EVERYONE, 24/7, 365 would break most adults, much less a young child and then a teen.

And I sincerely doubt that Carol was merely neglectful (though that is bad enough). She's a stone cold bitch who pushed not one, but TWO children to trigger at a young age. That kind of emotional trauma is not something that arises from a normal, healthy relationship, and her (later openly stated) resentment of Amy's parentage certainly didn't help matters.

Combined with exposure to a low grade mimetic threat and even more escalating stress, her actions in Worm are entirely understandable, if not sympathetic or forgivable.

By the time Ward rolls around, she's had a full on psychotic break...which is honestly the natural conclusion to a lifetime of ever increasing expectations, emotional neglect, and any kind of lack of normalcy combined with the literal end of the world.

29. - Top - End - #89

No, trust me, I've seen people not only argue that she's completely innocent but that everything she does in Ward is a calculated effort to push the fans and everything from the backstory that paints Amy as a bad person prior to the breakdown(as well as making the implications from Worm that she raped Vicky explicit) is a retcon when it is all in fact perfectly consistent. I've seen some people go on to argue that Ward isn't canon.

I've also seen people argue that she's bad but not as bad as canon makes her out to be, ignoring or downplaying a lot of actions that, in hindsight, were huge red flags.

Wildbow, the Author, left an extended rant on Reddit explaining that, while Carol's actions did not help by any means, all of Amy's decisions are her own, all of her problems are consequences of her own actions, and that she has no one to blame but herself for the things that make her unhappy. IT's noted that, in both Worm and Ward, Amy actively refuses help with her problems when it's freely offered, except on one occasion where she gave up pretty soon after accepting the help.

In particular, the Carol never expected or demanded anything from Amy. Amy was the one who decided that not using her powers to be constantly healing people every waking minute made her evil and got depressed over it...

Which, incidentally, is one of the key symptoms of narcissistic Personality Disorder. It's not just acting like your farts don't stink, it's setting impossible goals for yourself, falling into a depressive state when you inevitably fail, and then trying to get pity and affection from people in order to rebuild their self considence—which is, incidentally, exactly what she's doing when she explains why she feels like she's evil for not constantly healing people.

When Amy in Ward, tries to claim that Vicky is responsible for her actions citing Vicky's aura, it is explicitly stated that the Aura has no long term effects on behavior and that there are other people who have had much more exposure than Amy, often at a higher intensity than what Amy was exposed to who are not as obsessed with Vicky as Amy is

The only reason the idea that Amy was brainwashed by Vicky came up in the first place was becuase Wildbow commented on someone bringing p the possibility and people assumed "I wondered if anyone would ask about that" as "yes, that's exactly what happened."
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-02-17 at 08:37 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

In particular, the Carol never expected or demanded anything from Amy. Amy was the one who decided that not using her powers to be constantly healing people every waking minute made her evil and got depressed over it...

Which, incidentally, is one of the key symptoms of narcissistic Personality Disorder. It's not just acting like your farts don't stink, it's setting impossible goals for yourself, falling into a depressive state when you inevitably fail, and then trying to get pity and affection from people in order to rebuild their self considence—which is, incidentally, exactly what she's doing when she explains why she feels like she's evil for not constantly healing people.
    Sure, but the thing about personality disorders like this is that it's up to the people around you to realize what's going on and help. That's why I take issue with Carol "just" being neglectful. Neglect is one of the worst things you can do to a child, and it's not like Carol bears NO responsibility for instilling these ideas that self-sacrifice and service are EXPECTED of her children, even if it's not explicitly stated.
    She's directly responsible for everything wrong with Victoria as well; she was cracked long before Amy went crazy on her.

Honestly, a mostly (though not entirely) tongue in cheek headcanon about Ward is that Carol is responsible for everything bad that happens in it.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2021-02-17 at 09:10 PM.