New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon? 3: The mods must be crazy

The reason that Cell didn't have any programming beyond an objective to achieve his perfect form s because Cell was never intended to operate as an independent being.

Now, I'm not gonna say this was Toriyama's plan all along, but the character and backstory of Android 21 in FighterZ was designed by Toriyama and he stated that he'd find some way to work her into the official story if people liked her enough.

Android 21 is a Bio-Android, like Cell, but it's heavily implied that, rather than grown whole cloth, she's a modified human-being.

Taking what she says about Android 16 being molded on her son(or rather, the son of her previous self, since she doesn't remember her original life and considers herself a new person) with the WoG about Dr. Gero's backstory, it's abundantly clear that she's Gero's wife. Or at least, the mother of his child.

I posit that after the Death of his son, Dr. Gero became paranoid about losing his wife, put her in stasis, and that his android research was in part to find a way to make her immortal.

Cell was both a test-bed of the cellular manipulation technology needed to make his wife immortal, but...

There are two ways I could go with this'

1: While 21's exact design was influenced by the cells available, she was always intended to be able to absorb individuals. While Cell was created by combining the cells of unknown organisms with those of the greatest fighters that Gero's supercomputer could find and programming him with martial arts knowledge and combat data, Android 21 was grafted with the cells of "countless" warriors and also scientists and researchers. Quantity over quality, and also aiming to enhance her mind. I think Cell was meant to absorb enough people to be strong enough to overpower 17 and 18 and then absorb them and become "perfect..." to be a Perfect Snack for Android 21. Have her absorb Cell after he becomes perfect in order that she be perfect.

2: FighterZ establishes that Gero had the means to extract souls from bodies and link free-floating souls to extant bodies. It's possible that he intended to rip Cell's soul from his body and link his own to the empty husk.

In support of headcanon 1, I note the transformation that 21's evil half underwent after absorbing Cell.

In support of Headcanon 2, I note that it would provide a Watsonian answer for why Gero put his brain in a suboptimal energy absorption model android instead of a perpetual energy model: Android 20 was just a slap-dash temporary body to keep him alive long enough to load himself into Cell. It also explains why Cell didn't have a number.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

The Pokeverse has highly advanced pocket dimension storage technology. This explains a few things:
    -how their PC's have bags that can hold seemingly limitless items
    -how pokemon can be stored in pokeballs or the pokemon storage system without being torn down into atoms and stored as information. (thus technically killing them if that was true)
    -how the PC trainers can carry around a bike to whip out whenever they need to move faster,

Any such use of the pocket dimensions or instantaneous movement is simply technological replication and extrapolation of a common psychic pokemon move known as teleport which must be space warping as a biological organism evolving a method to kill itself to move goes against basic survival instincts and a disintegrated brain would not psychically be able to reconstitute itself, therefore any form of pokemon based teleportation has to leave the pokemon intact during transit. this means Abra when it teleports is in fact passing through some transitional spatial dimension that is much shorter in distance and thus far less curved than normal space.

the discovery of this dimension is what allows much of the pokemon technology to exist in its current form, being exploited to transport pokeballs everywhere. this also explains why the pokeverse doesn't have matter replicators/fabricators, which would be easy to make if they had teleporters of the "atomic tearing apart and instant cloning somewhere else" variety.

This is further backed up the existence of Palkia, the dragon of space, who'd be capable of making sure such dimensions could exist, Hoopa the pokemon capable of making various portals to other places, and the existence of Ultra-Space and parallel universes that point to Pokemon spatial dimensions being much more complex.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Voight-Kampff test from Blade Runner is a capcha
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

4. - Top - End - #94

The Saiyans were engineered, either by a previous generation of the Gods or by some ancient precursor race lost to history, to be perfect warriors.

Their biology seems to be built from the ground up to be good at fighting.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #95

The Mushroom Kingdom is really Yuggoth
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    The Mushroom Kingdom is really Yuggoth
    ROFL! This is one of the times I REALLY wish I could "up vote" here.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

7. - Top - End - #97

En Sabah Nur(Apocalypse) is Peter Parker's distant ancestor.

Apocalypse has thousands of descendants all over the world due to having traveled all over the world and having lots of casual sex.

Clan Akkaba, the descendants that Nur acknoledges, were explicitly stated to be everywhere and have their fingers in all the pies in Apocalypse vs Dracula #1.

Most of Nur's mutant descendants have some variation on his power to manipulate his molecules: Usually, they seem to take to shapeshifting easier than he does.

Where does Spider-Man fall into this? Spider-Cide.

During the Clone Saga, one of the many clones of Peter Parker created by Miles Warren(The Jackal) was stated to be a "perfect" clone.

While genetically identical to Peter, he had a more powerful build, organic webbing... And Molecular shapeshifting that allows him to stretch his body, harden against attacks to become bulletproof, and so on. All powers possessed by Apocalypse and his descendants.

As Spider-Cide was genetically identical to Peter, the only way he could have that power is if it was latent in Peter's genome and activated by whatever process was used to make Spider-Cide perfect.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Apocalypse has thousands of descendants all over the world due to having traveled all over the world and having lots of casual sex.
    Isn't he from, like, the Bronze Age? Because if so, if he has descendants, then almost of all mankind is descended from him.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-02-25 at 03:38 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Isn't he from, like, the Bronze Age? Because if so, if he has descendants, then almost of all mankind is descended from him.
    He's from roughly 5000 years ago. He could be a common ancestor to all of humanity, but he's not garrunteed to be.

For a garruntee you need to go back 10,000 years.

He has thousands of confirmed descendants. Anything else is speculatory.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

He's from roughly 5000 years ago. He could be a common ancestor to all of humanity, but he's not garrunteed to be.

For a garruntee you need to go back 10,000 years.

He has thousands of confirmed descendants. Anything else is speculatory.
    This says 3,000 years ago. Also it should be noted that it's the isolated groups such as the famous Sentinel Island people and various other tribes with very little contact with the rest of the species that drive these numbers up, which is why I said "most of humanity". Almost all of Europe is descended from Charlemagne (though, most people don't have the papers to prove it) and he only lived 1, 200 years ago (and according to some that's going back twice as much as needed). If Apocalypse has "thousands of confirmed descendants" then the odds of any random people on the street to be descended from him are damn close to 1.
    Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #101

This says 3,000 years ago. Also it should be noted that it's the isolated groups such as the famous Sentinel Island people and various other tribes with very little contact with the rest of the species that drive these numbers up, which is why I said "most of humanity". Almost all of Europe is descended from Charlemagne (though, most people don't have the papers to prove it) and he only lived 1, 200 years ago (and according to some that's going back twice as much as needed). If Apocalypse has "thousands of confirmed descendants" then the odds of any random people on the street to be descended from him are damn close to 1.
    You've gotta keep in mind that Apocalypse has that whole "survival of the fittest." You have to constantly fight to prove your right to exist and if you get killed it's your own damn faut. Clan Akkaba, his acknowledged descendants, enforced this strictly.

This would keep the numbers down.

As would the "sacrifice of the Fittest." Whenever Clan Akkaba faced a problem that required Nur's assistance he'd punish them for their weakness by killing one of the fittest—the leadership of the branches of the clan, who formed a council.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while Nur himself isn't a mutant supremacist per se he does consider mutants inherently to be more "fit" ...Which, controlling for outliers, he's not wrong about, and it wouldn't be hard for his descendants to twist that into "non-mutants are inherently weak" and kill any of their children who don't manifest as mutants.

And considering that mutants have consistently been a minority of the population...

And then there's the fact that Nur's pissed off a lot of people: Dracula, Thor, the various Gods he's impersonated, The Eternals.

Apocalypse versus Dracula ends with every confirmed descendant of his in London(excepting Hamilton Slade, Blink's ancestor, and Jack Starsmore, Chamber's ancestor) dead as a result of Dracula wanting revenge on the guy who kicked his ass a few centuries earlier. Dracula isn't exactly the most spiteful of the people who are angry at Nur.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #102

Princess Toadstool is secretly Zuggtmoy
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2021-02-27 at 12:37 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

13. - Top - End - #103

The Weapon X Program, especially ever since it broke away from the rest of Weapon Plus, are secretly being manipulated by a third party for Pro-Mutant aims.

Think about it: They're an organization dedicated to enslaving a minority of mutants and using them as weapons to wipe out or enslave all mutants.

But in practice, all of their plans boil down to "make mutants stronger and turn humans into mutants" and all of their surviving test subjects inevitably escape or go rogue at the earliest opportunity.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #104

Alpha Complex from Paranoia originally started out as some kind of prison or penal colony. Not only does this explain why the people are treaed like prisoners, it also - more tellingly - explains the color coded clearance systems. I recently encountered a video about prison uniforms which explained that in addition to the orange jumpsuits some prisons will put their higher risk prisoners in red jumpsuits and lower risk prisoners in yellow jumpsuits, and this is exactly what we see in Alpha Complex, uniform color moving up the frequency spectrum according to how much the person is trusted by the system.

Omegaupdate Forum

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Alpha Complex from Paranoia originally started out as some kind of prison or penal colony. Not only does this explain why the people are treaed like prisoners, it also - more tellingly - explains the color coded clearance systems. I recently encountered a video about prison uniforms which explained that in addition to the orange jumpsuits some prisons will put their higher risk prisoners in red jumpsuits and lower risk prisoners in yellow jumpsuits, and this is exactly what we see in Alpha Complex, uniform color moving up the frequency spectrum according to how much the person is trusted by the system.
    Isn't it just that the computer is running a totalitarian regime? I haven't played the game but that's what I gathered.
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #106

Isn't it just that the computer is running a totalitarian regime? I haven't played the game but that's what I gathered.
    Yeah, but part of the backstory is that the records of the early history of Alpha Complex are spotty and often contradictory. Nobody knows precisely how Alpha Complex and it's totalitarian regime came to be. All the records from before a cartain point are either lost or suppressed.

The Computer in particular especially doesn't know because it got its historical records mixed up with a bunch of cold war era disaster films.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2021-02-28 at 03:41 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, but part of the backstory is that the records of the early history of Alpha Complex are spotty and often contradictory. Nobody knows precisely how Alpha Complex and it's totalitarian regime came to be. All the records from before a cartain point are either lost or suppressed.

The Computer in particular especially doesn't know because it got its historical records mixed up with a bunch of cold war era disaster films.
    I feel like that in itself would be enough to develop a totalitarian regime.
    Forum Wisdom

18. - Top - End - #108

The various perks you acquire in fallout games are the result of the protagonist mutating from exposure to rads, chems, FEV, and whatever the hell was used to turn Jackson Chameleons into Death Claws.

Not all of them, not by any means, but things like being immune to having your bones broken, regenerating health over time, and breathing underwater can't be explained by you becoming more skilled.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

The various perks you acquire in fallout games are the result of the protagonist mutating from exposure to rads, chems, FEV, and whatever the hell was used to turn Jackson Chameleons into Death Claws.

Not all of them, not by any means, but things like being immune to having your bones broken, regenerating health over time, and breathing underwater can't be explained by you becoming more skilled.
    That one, I think, is actually completely canon as of Fallout 3. Everybody in the wasteland is a bit mutated (which is why the modified FEV would kill almost everyone), and what happens when Moira accidentally mutates you? You get a perk.

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    That one, I think, is actually completely canon as of Fallout 3. Everybody in the wasteland is a bit mutated (which is why the modified FEV would kill almost everyone), and what happens when Moira accidentally mutates you? You get a perk.
    Yeah, but the fact that it happens to the Sole Survivor, an unirradiated Pre-War human with no contact with the Wasteland(Even Vault Dwellers from functional Vaults have some contact with the outside world) more or less confirms it.

Except not literally: While some perks are suggested to be mutations, others present themselves as skills(Iron Fist mentions channeling Chi) or artificial argumentations(Adamantium Skeleton mentions infusing your bones with metal.)

I am suggesting that every perk that gives you some unusual/inhuman feature is a mutation.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #111

I feel like that in itself would be enough to develop a totalitarian regime.
    Yes, but it doesn;t explain the heirarchy of color coded jumpsuits. (Although another possible explanation of this, besides the prison explanation, is that perhaps the computer also mixed up some of its records with the fan wiki for Homestuck)

Omegaupdate Forum

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

For Superhero Universes:
    A good explanation for why superhero universes seem so bad at handling modern day social issues is because supers suddenly sprang into existence and thus with their constant crises interfered with the growth and development of things like psychology and sociology so that people aren't as aware of these problems as they should be because they are too busy trying to make flashy superpowered gadgets or enhance people to be superbeings to bother with researching into more abstract, social ways of solving their problems.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Spoilers for 'Picard: Season 1' :

Spoiler
    Show
    The Admonition does indeed show how to send a message to a advanced civilization and the Admonition does tell you that this will result in an advanced machine civilization showing up and exterminating all organic life to leave the galaxy safe for machine kind to occupy
    This is a lie. The Admonition contacts an advanced civilization where A.I. and organic life have, after much pain and violence, achieved peaceful co-operation. They have seeded The Admonition over many galaxies. The idea being that any A.I. that on finding The Admonition uses it in the hope of bringing about the extermination of all organic life is exactly the kind of genocidal being that stand between organics and A.I. uniting.
    The Admonition isn't a cry for help, it's a way for the worst to mark themselves for death
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2021-03-18 at 06:28 AM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

24. - Top - End - #114

Azathoth is Sagittarius A-star

Omegaupdate Forum

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Omori:

Spoiler
    Show
    Sunny made it so food healed in Headspace because he wanted Hero to be able to be a chef and a doctor at the same time.
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

Laphicet avatar by linklele.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

A rather convoluted one regarding the Legend of Zelda timelines. Specifically, how the "Downfall Timeline" actually fits into things.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Downfall Timeline doesn't actually arise from "Link loses to Ganon in the final battle," as that would prevent the other two timelines from forming in the first place. Instead, there's an iteration of the plot that precedes(for want of a better word, time travel makes it weird) the actual game's events. In this initial iteration, Link gets the Spiritual Stones and draws the Master Sword and is not put into stasis (since the "hold in stasis until old enough" thing doesn't happen in any other game, even ones that involve a very young incarnation of Link). 10-year-old Link confronts Ganondorf with the Master Sword and loses; magic sword or no, it's still a child versus an adult. This is what leads to the downfall timeline.

Much as Zelda's actions in the Adult Timeline create the Child Timeline, Zelda's actions in the downfall Timeline create the other two. After Link loses to Ganondorf, Zelda sees that all is lost and sends a message back in time to either Rauru or the Master Sword itself. This message prompts the recipient to establish the stasis function, which results in the events we see in the game proper.

27. - Top - End - #117

Two unrelated ones

*The Kerbals in Kerbal Space Program live underground. There don;t seem to be any developments on the surface other than the aerospace aerospace facilities

*The alternate Earth in Galaxion clearly has some property that attracts people there that didn;t mean to come. Because it's not just ships from the setting's primary earth that uave gotten lost there, the aliens seem to be there unintentionally as well. It seems to be an analogue of Charles Fort's Super-Sargasso Sea

Omegaupdate Forum

28. - Top - End - #118

Veganism, synthetic food, and vat-grown meat become more and more common and popular in the Pokemon world each year as more and more pokemon are revealed to be sapient, more and more pokemon that are literally living food are discovered, and more and more people realize that all of the food animals could easily kill them all.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Veganism, synthetic food, and vat-grown meat become more and more common and popular in the Pokemon world each year as more and more pokemon are revealed to be sapient, more and more pokemon that are literally living food are discovered, and more and more people realize that all of the food animals could easily kill them all.
    My headcanon is that normal animals actually exist beside pokemon and all the carnivores eat them instead of other pokemon, its just that its a kid show so of course they won't show that.

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    My headcanon is that normal animals actually exist beside pokemon and all the carnivores eat them instead of other pokemon, its just that its a kid show so of course they won't show that.
    There's a point in one game that explicitly states that at least at one point that pokemon are eaten for food and the gen 2 games establish that milk comes from miltanks, not cows.

Not to mention the whole joke with Farfetch'd: There's a proverb "a duck carrying bunching onions" Something that is surprising, but convenient. Taken literally, it's awfully convenient for a food animal to be carrying its own seasoning even if you'd never think that to happen. Farfetch'd's Japanese name is literally a contraction that has the same literal meaning as the proverb.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks