New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon? 3: The mods must be crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    There's a point in one game that explicitly states that at least at one point that pokemon are eaten for food and the gen 2 games establish that milk comes from miltanks, not cows.

Not to mention the whole joke with Farfetch'd: There's a proverb "a duck carrying bunching onions" Something that is surprising, but convenient. Taken literally, it's awfully convenient for a food animal to be carrying its own seasoning even if you'd never think that to happen. Farfetch'd's Japanese name is literally a contraction that has the same literal meaning as the proverb.
    I reject your reality and substitute it with my own; this is why its a headcanon.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Control, the shooter from the creators of Alan Wake which owes a lot to the SCP wiki, is about imposter syndrome in the workplace. Spoilered for anyone who still hasn't played it (it's a few years old, but it's a great experience).

Spoiler
    Show
    • Jesse shows up and is offered a high ranking job. Despite being a good fit for the environment (she freely admits she feels far more comfortable in The Oldest House than anywhere else), uniquely qualified (she's accepted by the director's pistol almost immediately, is immune to The Hiss and is absurdly talented at using OOP) and praised by everyone (especially Pope), she feels like she doesn't deserve it.
    • The gameplay is designed to make the player feel overwhelmed and on edge, but slowly increase in power and experience (like any well crafted action game), giving the feeling of just having made it through a crisis and being praised by everyone (who from your perspective doesn't realise how close you were to failure).
    • She's down to Earth and spent most of the time building up to that moment working menial jobs before suddenly finding herself where she wanted to be (effectively an analogy for someone paying their dues).
    • There was a candidate for the position (her brother Dylan) who was literally "Jesse, but a guy", who didn't want it but was basically put on the "glass elevator".
    • A nightmare near the end sees Jesse hallucinate being in a menial role in the offices; she rejects this despite several allusions to her thinking this would make more sense prior to that (including Dylan describing the scenario).
    • The entity she thought was helping her "cheat", turns out to have been a part of her all along. The game ends with her accepting the position she's a great fit for.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

3. - Top - End - #123
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I reject your reality and substitute it with my own; this is why its a headcanon.
    I mean, when you're headcanon is explicitly contradicted by the source material...

Anyway: We know from comments about Lt. Surge that Pokemon are used by the military in Wartime in the Pokemon world.

I like to imagine that there are detailed treaties between regions limiting the use of Pokemon. For example, Gyarados are supposedly known for destroying entire cities in a rampage, so using them is a bit like using WMDs. Thus, treaties banning them for military use.

Likewise, there are bans on using legendary pokemon. Even in cases where the Legendaries aren't unique beings they're still very rare, much more powerful than the average Pokemon, and often have a direct effect on the environment around them if not the whole world. Several normal Pokemon possess similar abilities, but not to the same extent.

Naturally, some regions with shadier governments may or may not be working on ways around them. Don't you think it's odd that there are people in Alola and Galar who are actively manufacturing super-powered Hybrid Pokemon with a unique ability similar to the one possessed by Arceus? And what possible purpose could the horrible, inhumane experiments on the Kanto Mew And Mewtwo—which the two are still traumatized about, judging from what happens if they're you're follower Pokemon in the Let's Go games—in the Pokemon mansion could have been for? The anime's explanation of "create the strongest pokemon" seems to have been adopted as semi-canon.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, when you're headcanon is explicitly contradicted by the source material...
    Rater....Rater.....Rater....

there are many dark things I will examine and use to deconstruct settings I like. Its a creative tendency of mine: the power politics of DBZ power levels and the massive destruction that can result, the politics and implications of Naruto's socio-political set up combined with chakra and its implications, how the Force is a form of fate and might even be malevolent according to Kreia due to its narrative nature of decreeing that the galaxy must adhere to some arbitrary form of balance that makes no sense, or how the three goddess of Legend of Zelda might in fact be cruel deities trapping three people in a cycle of reincarnation because of the Triforce and Link is silent because when he remembers his past lives and thus all the trauma from his battles strikes him mute.

If I was to examine superhero settings, no matter whether its Marvel or DC, it would basically boil down to deconstructing both of them as being thin realities on the verge of reality-warpers resetting and changing them around sooner or later for one reason or another, as worlds of chaos and nonsense that don't really make sense at their core as their reality is too malleable, to prone to change based on plot to ever truly make sense of. If I was to examine Doctor Who I'd Midnight is one of my favorite episodes because it shows how easily what the Doctor does can blow up in his face because of one alien species he doesn't know about and is willing to take advantage of his own curiosity. I would gladly take a normal fantasy setting and inject Game of Thrones style politics into it to complicate matters. One of the reasons I like Steven Universe Future is that it shows that not even the protagonist is on a pedestal, that Steven has flaws and needs helps just like anyone else, and can't always deal with the issues he has himself, on top of other issues involving the consequences of his life.

Its only reason I read A Practical Guide to Evil and the only reason I even gave Worm a shot. Its one of the many reasons I can appreciate Undertale, and why Homestuck is so fascinating as its an entire work dedicated to this on meta level with how fandoms and franchises work using its own to demonstrate it as well as the various implications of its actual setting. Its why I like Hunter X Hunter, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Watchmen, Bioshock, and so on.

But! One has to have standards. Everyone has something they can't stomach. One has to draw the line somewhere. I draw the line at pokemon being eaten. Its not rational. I don't have any clever logical reasons why. I just don't want it. and will not play in any roleplay that has pokemon being eaten. I hope to press upon you the significance of this one thing being a thing I draw the line at when I would explore so much else dark and whatnot. I know its a weird hill to die on, but its my hill and I'm proud of planting my flag on it.

5. - Top - End - #125

Okay, fine.

Sorry.

I'll just scratch "synthetic meat" off the list of things our evil megacorp is working on above board, then.

I think this is a common one, but Lt. Surge is probably from Ore, Unova, or Alola. He was explicitly American in the Gen 1 games, back when Regions shared their names with the places they were modeled on, and those three regions are respectively modeled on Arizona, New York, and Hawaii.

(Ore is from Collueseam and XD)

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, fine.

Sorry.

I'll just scratch "synthetic meat" off the list of things our evil megacorp is working on above board, then.
    Why use synthetic meat? Slowpoke tails grow back...
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Why use synthetic meat? Slowpoke tails grow back...
    1: We don't know how long that takes.

2: They're referred to as a delicacy, which usually refers to something that both tastes good and isn't commonplace. They're also presented as being sweet and sometimes spicy.

I doubt that they'd be a sustainable source of meat and they're probably high in simple sugars which aren't exactly good for you.

Now, a megacorp specializing in biotech derived from studying Pokemon might have studied the mechanics of slowpoke tail regeneration for the creation of vat-grown or synthetic meat, but...

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Firbolg in the Playground

2: They're referred to as a delicacy, which usually refers to something that both tastes good and isn't commonplace.
    Theoretically. In practice it usually refers to something offputtingly unpalatable that people nonetheless eat and pretend to like because it has a reputation for being either trendy, foreign, and/or blingy/extravagant. A little bit like the story of the emperor's new clothes.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Theoretically. In practice it usually refers to something offputtingly unpalatable that people nonetheless eat and pretend to like because it has a reputation for being either trendy, foreign, and/or blingy/extravagant. A little bit like the story of the emperor's new clothes.
    I have to agree. The status of something as a delicacy is something outsiders typically decide. The way I've seen it, 'delicacy' can refer to something people from the outside think is weird or cool to eat. Fried tarantula isn't uncommon and is supposed to be about as good as other invertebrates, but that's called a 'delicacy'. I have never heard of a single thing from my own culinary culture called a 'delicacy' by anyone I know, so I don't think we get to decide what our 'delicacies' are.

Also in theory, anything you find at a delicatessen is a delicacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Fried tarantula
    Not gonna lie, that sounds pretty metal.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

11. - Top - End - #131

The average human lifespan in the Dragonball world is shorter than in real life.

This is becuase of comments made by Doctor Gero: That he stopped actively monitoring Goku after they went into space becuase he figured that Goku would have hit his peak during the Saiyan attacks and any meaningful increases in strength and skill he could gain would be countered by Goku's age.

Goku would have been 30 at the oldest when the android first made themselves known. Not even middle-aged by human standards.

So, Gero's reasoning only makes sense if one assumes both that Saiyans age at the same rate that humans do(and, to b fair, the fact that Goku looked like a child pretty much until he shot up at 18ish could be handwaved as him being a late bloomer) and that the average human peaks a full decade earlier than in real life.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

The average human lifespan in the Dragonball world is shorter than in real life.

This is becuase of comments made by Doctor Gero: That he stopped actively monitoring Goku after they went into space becuase he figured that Goku would have hit his peak during the Saiyan attacks and any meaningful increases in strength and skill he could gain would be countered by Goku's age.

Goku would have been 30 at the oldest when the android first made themselves known. Not even middle-aged by human standards.

So, Gero's reasoning only makes sense if one assumes both that Saiyans age at the same rate that humans do(and, to b fair, the fact that Goku looked like a child pretty much until he shot up at 18ish could be handwaved as him being a late bloomer) and that the average human peaks a full decade earlier than in real life.
    ...No? Human athletes typically "peak" at well before 30, particularly when it comes to combat sports. People like Floyd Mayweather (and to a lesser extent George Foreman, who did make a comeback in his 40's) are outliers. Accumulated damage is some real ****.

I see no reason this would be different for the Dragon world, especially since it's not just a sport, it's real combat.

13. - Top - End - #133

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    ...No? Human athletes typically "peak" at well before 30, particularly when it comes to combat sports. People like Floyd Mayweather (and to a lesser extent George Foreman, who did make a comeback in his 40's) are outliers. Accumulated damage is some real ****.

I see no reason this would be different for the Dragon world, especially since it's not just a sport, it's real combat.
    1: Goku has a means of instantaneous perfect healing, so accumulated damage is not an issue and Gero knows about this because he was monitoring Goku since prior to goku gaining these resources.

2: Gero specifically cites old age as a reason why Goku wouldn't get much stronger. Not accumulated damage, just... Getting old. At 30.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

1: Goku has a means of instantaneous perfect healing, so accumulated damage is not an issue and Gero knows about this because he was monitoring Goku since prior to goku gaining these resources.

2: Gero specifically cites old age as a reason why Goku wouldn't get much stronger. Not accumulated damage, just... Getting old. At 30.
    Yes, "getting old" at 30. Which is not exactly what he said. He said that his peak strength was going to be at around 30, because that's around the time your body stops developing and starts deteriorating. Not all at once, but gradually you're going to have to work harder and harder to achieve the same results. Reflexes slow, muscles aren't as easy to build, metabolism slows, etc. There are physical limits to how strong a person can get from just training...or so Gero thinks. And he's sort of right about that; it seems to be heavily implied that the power gap between, say, Krillin and Goku in his base form isn't actually that immense.

Like...we SEE how fast normal people age in the Dragon world. It's normal. Hercule wins the World Martial Arts Tournament at 31; he's 42 by the time of Battle of Gods and still looks in decent shape, but he's not exactly in his prime anymore. Same with Krillin (who's the exact same age).
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2021-04-17 at 08:42 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Since Saiyans were a race of super soldiers, it's possible that they start suffering due to age/peak earlier than humans (since they normally die in battle anyway, perhaps they burn the candle at both ends in their youth).

It's also possible that Gero's data was off because the majority of Saiyans spend their lives in harsher total war conditions growing up (whereas Goku grew up on Earth, and had the advantage of such things as a happy childhood with the odd adventure, and vegetables that were something other than a naming convention).
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    Since Saiyans were a race of super soldiers, it's possible that they start suffering due to age/peak earlier than humans (since they normally die in battle anyway, perhaps they burn the candle at both ends in their youth).
    This is explicitly the opposite of how Saiyans work. They stay in the prime of their life much longer, well into their 80's, but then their bodies begin to rapidly age/deteriorate, leaving their lifespan at roughly the human norm of less than 100.

Fun fact I picked up while looking to see if any of this had been further touched on in the Super manga (which it had; I'm pretty sure the previous figure for Saiyans starting to get old was 60 rather than 80) is that Nappa was 50 when he invaded Earth with Vegeta.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2021-04-18 at 05:05 AM.

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post

It's also possible that Gero's data was off because the majority of Saiyans spend their lives in harsher total war conditions growing up (whereas Goku grew up on Earth, and had the advantage of such things as a happy childhood with the odd adventure, and vegetables that were something other than a naming convention).
    1: As Ryujin said, it's the other way around. Saiyans, while having the same average and maximum lifespans as humans, spend proportionally more of their lifespan in their youth. a Saiyan is considered "young" until they hit 80 and then rapidly go downhill.

2: Goku was thought to be a human with a quirk until Raditz arrived on Earth, and Saiyan's aging and maturing at a different rate from baseline humans wasn't established until... Honestly, I don't think it was established until the End of Z when Goku still looked to be in his 20s when he was a grandfather.

Gero's data would have been written on the assumption that Goku was human unless otherwise stated.

I mean, it's a moot point. Gero's androids were all several orders of magnitude higher than what he suspected Goku would be at, but still.

I find it odd that, in a world where being in good shape and meditating can let you fly and shoot moon-destroying lasers from your hands, Gero just assumed that there was no conceivable way that Goku could be meaningfully more powerful at 30 than he was at 25. Especially when he had literally just got evidence that Goku was nowhere near the (at the time assumed)full potential of his species.

Purely from age.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #138

The thought just occurred to me that SCP and WH40K could be the same universe at different times. The Foundation reeks of the Emperor's early attempts to suppress knowledge of the existence of Chaos.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

The thought just occurred to me that SCP and WH40K could be the same universe at different times. The Foundation reeks of the Emperor's early attempts to suppress knowledge of the existence of Chaos.
    I really don't think so. The Foundation tries to preserve the status quo, but they aren't out to destroy the anomalous. In fact they work hard to preserve it in most cases (even if it's in a containment chamber) as well as study it. The Imperium and the Emperor are much more like the Global Occult Coalition. They suppress and eliminate knowledge as well as destroy anything and anyone that gets in their way. Or they think they will get in their way in the future. Or could get in their way. Or just exists and is different. There is a reason the GOC are called "Book Burners".
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

20. - Top - End - #140

Azathoth is Sagittarius A-star
    I've thought About that one, yeah. Of course, this implies interesting things about the intergalactic supervoids, too.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

21. - Top - End - #141

Peach Beach is a race track that appears in Mario Kart Doble Dash and Maria Kart Wii. It is referred to as Princess Peach's private racetrack...

But based on the architecture, spectators, and the wildlife you see around it, it's obviously somewhere in Isle Delfino, which is seemingly not part of the Mushroom Kingdom based on how Super Mario Sunshine presents it.

My headcanon is that, following what was supposed to be a relaxing vacation being ruined not only by Bowser's scheme but by the corruption and incompetence of Isle Delfino's justice system—Mario being arrested, tried, and convicted for crimes that happened before he got there, with eye witness to the fact that he'd only gotten to the island within less than an hour of being arrested, not being allowed to defend himself at trial, and his name never being clear despite proving the existence of the real culprit... Not to mention Peach being kidnapped, the kidnapper running past two cops who just stood there doing nothing, and in general the unpleasantness of those people... That Peach invaded and annexed Isle Delfino and converted the capital city of Delfino Plaza into her personal private racecourse.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #142

Flumph

Eh, only the first Mario game actually happened.

All the others, not just Mario 3 where this is explicitly true (it's a play), have been dramatic reconstructions of the original events with ever increasing special effects budgets.

That's why they all happily play tennis and golf and kart racing together.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

But what if the tennis didn't happen either?
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

Heh, just found this thread, and I don't know if anyone has brought this up previously, but my favorite piece of recent headcanon is from Game of Thrones: People follow Jon Snow not because he's a great warrior or inspiring leader, but because after so many instances of him doing something foolish or reckless-- including getting himself killed at one point-- the gods always seem to bail him out, so he must obviously be their chosen one.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Heh, just found this thread, and I don't know if anyone has brought this up previously, but my favorite piece of recent headcanon is from Game of Thrones: People follow Jon Snow not because he's a great warrior or inspiring leader, but because after so many instances of him doing something foolish or reckless-- including getting himself killed at one point-- the gods always seem to bail him out, so he must obviously be their chosen one.
    I mean.....that would make sense with the rest of the GRRM/A Song of Ice and Fire's take on the fantasy genre if it wasn't denying the existence of one: if the chosen one DOES exist, its proven by the universe making sure they live to be able to succeed despite their numerous failures and stupid decisions, because you can't fight fate, so no matter how incompetent a "chosen one" actually is, they succeed anyways.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I mean.....that would make sense with the rest of the GRRM/A Song of Ice and Fire's take on the fantasy genre if it wasn't denying the existence of one: if the chosen one DOES exist, its proven by the universe making sure they live to be able to succeed despite their numerous failures and stupid decisions, because you can't fight fate, so no matter how incompetent a "chosen one" actually is, they succeed anyways.
    I don't remember if Jon was intentionally portrayed that way in the books (in part because, as a POV character, I definitely don't remember getting any "Wow, I'm really stupid and reckless" thoughts from him), but I don't think it was intentional on the show-- merely a very plausible conclusion to draw from how often he screwed up or made bad decisions and it worked out for him anyway.

27. - Top - End - #147

Dr. Erksine dabbled in Alchemy and elements of alchemy are present in the Supr Soldier Serum, which is one of the reasons why it's so difficult to replicate the formula.

Now, for those of you who are primarily familiar with the MCU or other adaptions, to recap how the serum works in the main comics.

The super-soldier serum is not one serum, but a combination of several drugs, viruses, dietary supplements, and energies, administered in three distinct stages, that administered successfully will combine within the body to create a miracle substance that transmutes the subject's body into a perfect specimen of a human being.

It doesn't, technically, make you superhuman in terms of ability. Rather, it makes you the best a human can possibly be, on every conceivable level. Captain America is as strong, as fast, and hearty, as healthy, as agile, as coordinated, and as durable as a human being can possibly be. He has the optimal ratio of muscle to the skin to body fat, all of his body systems are perfectly coordinated, the structures of his body, his major systems, his individual organs and tissues, every single cell, the individual organelles in his cells are all structurally perfect. Even his DNA is altered, removing any damaged genetic sequences or harmful mutations and replacing them with the best possible version of that gene.

Every single aspect of his metabolism, including cellular division, functions at the peak of efficiency.

Due to his nervous system being enhanced, Captain America is as intelligent as it is possible for someone to be without it being considered superhuman intelligence. He is able to master complex skills in a fraction of the time that it takes an average person, instantly memorize information, has an infinite capacity for conscious and subconscious memory, and retrieves memories with perfect clarity and detail.: In short, nothing short of active brain damage or supernatural influence can make him forget. As a side effect, his skills do not degrade from lack of use.

Combined with his peak human reflexes, Captain America was able to master every bit of training available to the United States army in 1940as well as some extensive personal training in hand-to-hand combat and military tactics in just a few months. In the modern-day, between this training and independent training on his own time means that he is a master of virtually every martial art known to man.

The body is also altered to actively produce more of the serum, which regularly applies itself as it builds up in his body. Between this happening, which essentially brings him to the peak of human perfection all over again, and the fact that his cells function and divide with perfect efficiency, Steve Roger's body does not age or degrade.

Steve could spend a year sitting on his ass eating his weight in junk food, and not only would he still be in perfect shape, his physical skills like say, his martial arts training, would also still be at the same level they were on when he took his week off. Steve cannot physically improve from exercise, nor does he need to do so to maintain his condition. He works out in part because he likes it and in part because he can still improve the skills by which he, say, runs. Or punches people.

As an aside, considering that he was sickly to the point of being borderline disabled prior to getting the serum, I don't fault him for enjoying physical activity for its own sake. If I could do the entire source of events of a biathlon, a triathlon, and a decathlon in a single day with no breaks and suffer no consequences you'd better believe I'd be physically active just for the sake of it.

So, Steve is a physically and mentally perfect human being who cannot be degraded and will never naturally age or die.

He is exactly what the western alchemists who actively pursued things like the Philosopher's stone and the elixir of Life(as opposed to taking them as metaphors) were hoping to create.

More importantly, improperly creating the serum so that there are impurities in it, or leaving out important steps, can drive you insane and or kill you. This happened to William Burnside, who found a Nazi-Made attempt to recreate the serum but went insane in part due to his poor craftsmanship when making the formula himself and in part because it lacked a vital stabilizing ingredient and Clinton McIntyre who the united states army gave the Third stage of treatments to behind Erksine's back without any of the treatments from the first and second stages.

Clinton not only went insane, but he also dropped dead... Though it is noted that while he was clinically dead, no pulse, no breathing, no brain activity, his body did not decay at all for decades.

And, finally... Several alchemical drugs called the Exliric of Life exist in the Marvel Universe. The recurring theme among them is that they restore you to the prime of your youth and bring you to permanent physical health and condition, but do not enhance your mind. Depending on which version you get, it may also be temporary or at least require decades of regular use before it'll stick.

In otherwords, the Super Soldier Serum is, arguably, the best possible version of the Elixir of Life.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #148

In the books, there also seemed to be often considerably more going on behind the scenes when Jon won things.

For example, the favourite fan theory on how Jon actually won the election to Lord Commander was that it was Bloodraven's doing. He's been warging Mormont's Raven for a while, who just conveniently came out of the bag with the election tokens.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

29. - Top - End - #149

In the Star Wars sequel trilogy, some of the power boosts we see on people may be explainable by a sort of home field advantage, because they were doing these things in places that had a strong connection to the force. Specifically, Luke Skywalker did his astral projection thing outside the ruins of a jedi temple and when Palpatine zapped the resistance fleet he was in a sith temple on a planet that had served as a base of sith operations for countless years.

Omegaupdate Forum

30. - Top - End - #150

Being Dragonborn and thus, having a Dragon's soul and dragon's blood, makes you immune to skooma.

In Skyrim, skooma has drastically reduced effect and is completely nonaddictive... For the PC. But NPCs are still as affected as ever, and in previous games it was stronger and addictive as hell.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks