New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon? 3: The mods must be crazy

Two unrelated theories

*IIRC Several people on these threads have posited that the Joker may secretly have superpowers or be paranormal in some way. Taking that a step further, what if he was related to one of DC's various satan-like entities (such as Trigon or Darkseid one of the negative emotion entities). In the "why so serious" monologue from The Dark Knight if we take "fiend" to mean "demon" rather than "crackhead" then the idea of a smile being carved in the Joker's face takes on an oddly satisfying mythic quality. Like, maybe that's not just some messed up thing that happened to him and messed him up, maybe it actually constructed his current personality directly.

*The Borg in Star Trek are the way they are because that what happens when you plug all the weirdoes and conspiracy theorists on the internet into your brain
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2021-05-08 at 11:54 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

2. - Top - End - #152
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Might and Magic/Heroes of Might and Magic series (New World Computing continuity)

Spoiler: Might and Magic 7 ending
    Show
    In Might and Magic 7, the Good ending, in which the heroes gain access to an interstellar teleportation network, is canon. In the opening cinematic of Heroes of Might and Magic 4, many people are saved from the end of the world by mysterious portals to a new world. My headcanon is that these portals were created by the characters from Might and Magic 7. Because otherwise, that plotline kinda dead-ends. (The original plan was for the Evil ending to be canon, but fan backlash made them change their mind and they didn't really have a plan.)

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Two unrelated theories

*IIRC Several people on these threads have posited that the Joker may secretly have superpowers or be paranormal in some way. Taking that a step further, what if he was related to one of DC's various satan-like entities (such as Trigon or Darkseid one of the negative emotion entities). In the "why so serious" monologue from The Dark Knight if we take "fiend" to mean "demon" rather than "crackhead" then the idea of a smile being carved in the Joker's face takes on an oddly satisfying mythic quality. Like, maybe that's not just some messed up thing that happened to him and messed him up, maybe it actually constructed his current personality directly.
    I prefer to think that the Joker is a lesser Chaos god, myself.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Rogue is potentially the most terrifying X-Men. If she absorbs the powers of Wolverine and Multiple Man to the point of permanency you have an immortal army maker of more immortals, add in Jean Grey and that clone army of immortals also has incredible psychic powers. she absorbs psyches which could render her insane from piling on the draining. its very fortunate that Rogue hates her power, because if she didn't and was like evil, she could become this super hybrid of various powers bordering on being a goddess while draining anyone who could stop her.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #155
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Rogue is potentially the most terrifying X-Men. If she absorbs the powers of Wolverine and Multiple Man to the point of permanency you have an immortal army maker of more immortals, add in Jean Grey and that clone army of immortals also has incredible psychic powers. she absorbs psyches which could render her insane from piling on the draining. its very fortunate that Rogue hates her power, because if she didn't and was like evil, she could become this super hybrid of various powers bordering on being a goddess while draining anyone who could stop her.
    I mean, that's to even really a headcanon. That's just... Canon.
    A time traveler is actively preventing Weapon Plus and other Super Soldier programs from using Spider-Man's DNA n their experiments because it inevitably ends with someone getting the bright idea to create mass-produced clones that combine the DNA of Spider-Man and wolverine and that ends with an apocalypse scenario as combining the best ass in the marvel universe with it's greatest manwhore results in the Spiderines outbreeding baseline humanity.

That would be a headcanon.

...Though it is really weird that nobody's tried to use Spider-Man's DNA in supersoldier experiments in the main universe, considering the fact that he's literally been cloned hundreds of times and his genes have been used to make hybrid monsters and bioweapons. It honestly seems like anyone who wants Spider-Man's DNA can get their hands on it with minimal hassle.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Wasn't that the plot of Spider Island or am I mistaken?

7. - Top - End - #157

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Wasn't that the plot of Spider Island or am I mistaken?
    That was the Queen commissioning the Jackal to use Peter's DNA to make a bioweapons which was then released on Manhattan in order to create millions of spider-totems that she could control and use their connection to the Great Web of Life and Destiny to strengthen her own connection, draw power from it, and apotheosize into a Spider-God.

And the Jackal went along with it knowing that she'd get herself killed and then he could harvest spider-god bonemarrow for his own biological experiments.

The ultimate universe version of the Clone Saga was done to make super soldiers, and technically Peter 1610 and Miles are Super Soldiers because the "Oz Formula" that was used to mutate the spiders that bit them was a failed attempt at recreating the Ultimate Universe Super Soldier Serum*, and Miles is gong through his own clone saga that based on solicits is a super-soldier project, but...

But Peter in the main universe has never been used in super soldier experiments, and that's weird because everyone and their grandma can get his genes.

Mister Sinister made a dozen clones of Spider-Man's clone and programmed them all to think that they were the original ben except for one who thinks he might be Spider-Man because he thought it was funny. That's how trivial it is to get Spider-Man's DNA.

*The ultimate super-soldier serum gives you low-moderate superhuman strength and toughness and slowed but not stopped aging. At a push, you can lift six tones sustainably and if you land right you can jump out of a helicopter without a parachute.

The Oz Formula, in the form of oz-spider venom, gives fifteen-year-olds a six-ton sustainable lift with proportionate toughness, a powerful healing factor, precognition and clairvoyance, reflexes several times those of the finest athletes, superhuman speed, and perfect immortality. You do not age or degrade over time and while you be rendered 'dead' if your body is damaged enough not even cremation can keep you dead, you'll eventually regenerate and come back. It also bonds to your DNA and continues to mutate you over time, making you stronger as time goes on with notable boosts after recovering from serious injuries or being revived from the dead—Peter 1610 became the equal of the older and stronger Peter 616 after coming back from his death.

The more advanced version that miles got gave him even stronger versions of the powers that Peter got—Miles at thirteen was physically the equal of full-grown Peter 616 but also had a biolectric taser and the ability to turn invisible. Miles at 18 is able to shatter adamantium if he tries hard enough, can use his bioelectricity as a substitute for webbing, and generate busts of lightning that are comparable in power to Mjolnir either from his hands or in an area of effect around his body and hs recently demonstrated the ability to fire them at range.

This from a failed attempt at making the Ultimate Super Soldier Serum. This is like trying to make a mineral-based antibiotic and screwing up so badly that you loop around and make the Philosopher's stone.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    This from a failed attempt at making the Ultimate Super Soldier Serum. This is like trying to make a mineral-based antibiotic and screwing up so badly that you loop around and make the Philosopher's stone.
    Considering how more superhero origin stories arise from experiments going wrong than right, my headcanon for all them is that science isn't involved at all, and is in fact the work of something called "The Madness Force" a magical reality and probability principle of spontaneity and illogic which influences scientists and their experiments towards mad science outcomes like random accidents that cause superpowers or scientists becoming obsessed with this or that, or becoming more narcissistic and megalomaniacal, the more they tap into the Madness Force to speed up their research and engineering. like every time an accident happens that is an opportunity that allows Madness Force to leak out into the world and make highly improbable to impossible things happen, while scientists tapping into it as a boost increases the leak chance. It preys on you making shortcuts and trying to do it fast rather than being slow, thorough and safe.

9. - Top - End - #159

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Considering how more superhero origin stories arise from experiments going wrong than right, my headcanon for all them is that science isn't involved at all, and is in fact the work of something called "The Madness Force" a magical reality and probability principle of spontaneity and illogic which influences scientists and their experiments towards mad science outcomes like random accidents that cause superpowers or scientists becoming obsessed with this or that, or becoming more narcissistic and megalomaniacal, the more they tap into the Madness Force to speed up their research and engineering. like every time an accident happens that is an opportunity that allows Madness Force to leak out into the world and make highly improbable to impossible things happen, while scientists tapping into it as a boost increases the leak chance. It preys on you making shortcuts and trying to do it fast rather than being slow, thorough and safe.
    Also canon in the Marvel universe.

At least Earth 616.

Spider-Man? The gene that let him get superpowers granting mutations instead of cancer granting mutations from radioactive spider-venom is a conduit to The Great Web of Life and Destiny, a "five-dimensional construct in three-dimensional space" that models the entire multiverse as a series of interconnected spider-webs. Everyone with Spider-Powers across the entire multiverse is connected to the Web in some way.

Hulk? Turns out Gamma Radiation comes from Super Hell.

It's implied that the reverse is true of the cosmic that empowered the Fantastic Four. That they come from the One Above All(IE: God)

Inhumans are dependant on a mutagen that is explicitly a combination of magic and science advanced enough that you can't tell which is which.

And mutants it turns out, in addition to being the desired end result of the cosmic scale experiments of the Celestials, who are to Gods as Gods are to mortals, are a bit more magical than initially presented: Mutants naturally accumulate mystical energy in their bones whether they are living or dead(to the point that crystallized carbon that used to be mutant bones holds a usable charge) and five mutants working in tandem can cast spells without having to pay a cost or acrue dept.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Also canon in the Marvel universe.

At least Earth 616.

Spider-Man? The gene that let him get superpowers granting mutations instead of cancer granting mutations from radioactive spider-venom is a conduit to The Great Web of Life and Destiny, a "five-dimensional construct in three-dimensional space" that models the entire multiverse as a series of interconnected spider-webs. Everyone with Spider-Powers across the entire multiverse is connected to the Web in some way.

Hulk? Turns out Gamma Radiation comes from Super Hell.

It's implied that the reverse is true of the cosmic that empowered the Fantastic Four. That they come from the One Above All(IE: God)

Inhumans are dependant on a mutagen that is explicitly a combination of magic and science advanced enough that you can't tell which is which.
    Nope.

Madness Force can't be used by magic users. Its all one force, its not multiple forces and it explicitly does not do any of the things those things do. Nor is it sentient or sapient. Its just a force that explains mad science tropes.

Edit:
    my new headcanon is that Undertale, Celeste and Steven Universe all take in the same universe. Gems know that magic exists, they all have similar themes of kindness, mental health and determination, and the mountains of Celeste and Ebott could be explained as having magic because they are large rock formations just like the Gems have, just in a way humans have not yet found a way to harness or utilize.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-05-14 at 03:16 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161

Scooby Doo is actually a guy in a dog costume. Every paranormal thing in that series has turned out to be a guy in a costume, what are the chances the talking dog is real?
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

The Star Wars prequels and everything that follows them are an alternate continuity from the Expanded Universe of the 90s.
    In all the stories of the New Republic era, the Prequel era stories did not happen.

They are two really quite different storylines that only intersect for three movies before continuing along their separate ways.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

13. - Top - End - #163
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Every Rambo movie after First Blood is just an elaborate hallucination inside Rambo's mind, after his breakdown and loss of sanity at the end of the first movie.

14. - Top - End - #164

The corperate scientists wgo were researching the Thorian in the first Mass Effect are all drastically unqualified for their jobs.

Ignoring the fact that that entire potion of the game requires them to have completely failed at basic ethics, sicnrtific ethics, business ethics, and general human rights and there are a billion better ways to go about that kind of research...

They call it a plant.

That thing is very clearly not a plant. It doesn't look like a plant and doesn't act like a plant.

I can believe a plant doing the things it does, but the Thorian is very clearly either a fungus or some kind of an invertebrate animal.

If we're assuming that earth taxonomic definitions can even apply to an extraterrestrial organism.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #165

Flumph

The corperate scientists wgo were researching the Thorian in the first Mass Effect are all drastically unqualified for their jobs.
    On the day a team of so-called "scientists" in the Mass Effect universe doesn't get everything wrong and end up dead or mind controlled by whatever they were fiddling with, satan will be skating to work.

16. - Top - End - #166

The Namekian Race Avatars in (Super) Dragonball Heroes fuse with progressively stronger versions of Piccolo for every "class up" they have.

Base form with Start of Saiyan Saga, Class Up with End of Saiyan Saga, Super class up with Fiza Saga after he fuses with Nale, God Class with Android Saga, Super God Class with Cell SAga after fusing wit Kami, and Ultra Class up Sign with somewhere in the Super Era.

They (head)canonically fuse with a version of Piccolo at least once per Level

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #167

Bohemian Rhapsody is about Albert Camus' novel The Stranger

Omegaupdate Forum

18. - Top - End - #168
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Celestials are responsible for the existence of super powered humans in the Marvel Universe 616.

19. - Top - End - #169

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    Celestials are responsible for the existence of super powered humans in the Marvel Universe 616.
    ...That's not a headcanon.

That's stated in the source material several times.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Spock is genetically 100% Vulcan, albeit with some tweaks. He has no human DNA in him at all. Sarek and Amanda wanted a child, so they used Vulcan genetic science to clone Sarek and modify the cells so that a human woman could carry it to term. Amanda undoubtedly got some upgrades to her uterus, primarily to convert her iron-based blood to something copper-based for the fetus to use. Plus perhaps a bunch of other things to support whatever a Vulcan baby would need in utero.

Spock is called a halfling because these modifications gave him some human-like characteristics, notably a deficiency in emotional control when compared to "pure" Vulcans. Plus the simple fact of him being carried by a human mother has applied a bigoted cultural taint. But anatomically and genetically, he's totally a Vulcan, capable of siring a child with a Vulcan female, but unable to reproduce with a human one (hence his tendency to push Nurse Chapel away).

21. - Top - End - #171

Flumph

...That's not a headcanon.

That's stated in the source material several times.
    I mean all of them, including Captain America, Spiderman, Hulk, etc.
    Last edited by Precure; 2021-06-08 at 10:37 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172

I mean all of them, including Captain, Spiderman, Hulk, etc.
    Yes. All of them.

Explicitly.

The gamma gene and the insect gene and so on are byproducts of the experiments that created mutants, deviants, and eternals, and humans are able to mutate and gain powers because a Celestial died on Earth and it's essence saturated the planet and the life that formed on it, which is what attracted Celestials to Earth in the first place.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #173

Flumph

Where is that revealed?

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Where is that revealed?
    I don't know which issues of what titles, but I have the old Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (Deluxe Edition) books tucked away somewhere and I clearly remember that kind of thing being discussed. It basically goes:

The Sentient Universe creates offspring. Most of which are devoted servants, but an offshoot wants more diversity of life and breaks free from the Universal will. This group is eventually called Celestials.

Massive war happens. The Universe is shattered into the Multiverse. The non-Celesetials disappear from the picture.

Celestials create Eternals, as well as uplifting the Kree (making them superhuman but genetically stagnant) and Skrulls (giving them shapeshifting). Plus countless other species.

As part of their experimentation, the X-Gene is introduced into humanity but is mostly dormant at first.

Eternals almost immediately split into (true) Eternals and Deviants. Most leave Earth.

Thanos is eventually descended from the space-faring Deviant group.

Deviants on Earth become Atlanteans, Lemurians, and countless other one-off "monsters" mostly living underground.

The Kree, investigating the origin of their own modifications, stumble across abandoned Eternal outposts. This leads them to Earth, where they grab a group of humans and try to reverse-engineer the X-Gene. The result of this experimentation are the Inhumans. The Inhumans shake off their Kree masters, who flee Earth.

A long time passes. Eventually the X-Gene starts to manifest in significant numbers in humanity. For some, the Gene "activates" based on extreme circumstance or stimulation, like being bitten by a radioactive arachnid, blasted by gamma rays, being injected with a special serum, being exposed to cosmic rays, etc. In others, the X-Gene manifests without any specific detectible cause. This latter group are called "mutants" because they are basically born with their abilities.

This brings us to the present. None of this is headcanon; it's all spelled out in one form or another in the comics, and I've simplified (and probably messed up or left out) a few things.

25. - Top - End - #175

Where is that revealed?
    Several dozen places spanning many years.

The bit about the Dead Celestial is the first arc of Jason Aaron's Avengers.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #176

Flumph

Yeah, I remember that dead Celestial, but I wasn't able to follow that run.

Quote Originally Posted by EggKookoo View Post
    I don't know which issues of what titles, but I have the old Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (Deluxe Edition) books tucked away somewhere and I clearly remember that kind of thing being discussed. It basically goes:

The Sentient Universe creates offspring. Most of which are devoted servants, but an offshoot wants more diversity of life and breaks free from the Universal will. This group is eventually called Celestials.

Massive war happens. The Universe is shattered into the Multiverse. The non-Celesetials disappear from the picture.

Celestials create Eternals, as well as uplifting the Kree (making them superhuman but genetically stagnant) and Skrulls (giving them shapeshifting). Plus countless other species.

As part of their experimentation, the X-Gene is introduced into humanity but is mostly dormant at first.

Eternals almost immediately split into (true) Eternals and Deviants. Most leave Earth.

Thanos is eventually descended from the space-faring Deviant group.

Deviants on Earth become Atlanteans, Lemurians, and countless other one-off "monsters" mostly living underground.

The Kree, investigating the origin of their own modifications, stumble across abandoned Eternal outposts. This leads them to Earth, where they grab a group of humans and try to reverse-engineer the X-Gene. The result of this experimentation are the Inhumans. The Inhumans shake off their Kree masters, who flee Earth.

A long time passes. Eventually the X-Gene starts to manifest in significant numbers in humanity. For some, the Gene "activates" based on extreme circumstance or stimulation, like being bitten by a radioactive arachnid, blasted by gamma rays, being injected with a special serum, being exposed to cosmic rays, etc. In others, the X-Gene manifests without any specific detectible cause. This latter group are called "mutants" because they are basically born with their abilities.

This brings us to the present. None of this is headcanon; it's all spelled out in one form or another in the comics, and I've simplified (and probably messed up or left out) a few things.
    This makes me appreciate the Marvel comics more.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

This makes me appreciate the Marvel comics more.
    To be fair, it wasn't set up this way originally. He gets a lot of crap but during Jim Shooter's EIC run in the 80s he really pushed to elevate the material (while also tying to make everything more merch-friendly). There was a lot of re-evaluating the mythos with a mind toward unifying and adding credibility.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Matori got her job as Giovanni’s secretary because Giovanni is secretly colorblind and she was the only one with the guts to point out his favorite suit-and-tie combo was orange and green.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

The new He-Man teaser reminded me of one I thought of eons ago. Skeletor's face isn't melted off. The flesh is invisible. All we can see is the skull.

30. - Top - End - #180

I think I may have said this before, but Riders On The Storm is about a boyfriend and girlfriend who are criminals. This is the only way the verses make sense together.

Quote Originally Posted by EggKookoo View Post
    The new He-Man teaser reminded me of one I thought of eons ago. Skeletor's face isn't melted off. The flesh is invisible. All we can see is the skull.
    Like that one fish

Omegaupdate Forum