New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Outside 49: I don’t remember what it looks like either

[Red Plains]

Myzid looks even more ashamed after June's scolding of him. He apologizes profusely,"Sorry, sorry, sorry! I know I shouldn't have done that. It was a stupid idea. I won't do it again! I promise. Sorry."

He definitely hadn't thought that plan all the way through. Why was he so stupid! Then he realizes that June had asked if he was alright. "I'm okay. No injuries at all actually....sorry again if I scared you." He looks at his feet as his says the last part. He looks smaller than he did earlier. Almost as if he is curling in and shrinking.
    Last edited by zeifly; 2020-09-23 at 06:17 PM.
    Never stop rolling!

-Z

Nexus Characters: Myzid

2. - Top - End - #452
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Red Plains]

June does her best to not laugh.

She fails.
    And laughs. "Why are you apologizing?" she says. "You're fine, so." June stretches. "Don't worry about it. Nobody was hurt. So..."

She looks around, trying to remember which direction the smoke was: "Which way was it, again? That way?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Journey to the Center of the Elves

Eon nods, quietly, respectfully. He doesn't have or need a special title. "Do you have a house of learning here, a temple, a college, or a library, that you could direct us to?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Journey to the Center of the Elves]

Ramuq gives a dismissive wave of his hand.

"I should note that we do not... worship. We leave it to the humans and their supposed distant gods. We and the Sky-Cutter have a bargain. It is what we elves do with the elemental fey dwelling in this world. She is a swift winged fey of the endless sky and cold wind." Turning to Eao, he adds: "We have a house of knowledge that stores our lore and where our scholars and magicians learn. You would need to speak with the chief lorekeeper to gain access, I'm afraid. It is not within my authority."
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Journey to the Center of the Elves

"Aha! Just like the mumda- erm, I mean, we have encountered communities just like that. Not worship, active participation and bargains." Zhareen nods and takes up a little black notebook from the satchel she wears. "But honestly, right now we shouldn't even need access to your lore house. Conviction to bargain like that is after all something the entire community performs, am I right? If you're going to hold it up its something you all need access to and that's what we're interested in." At least for now.
    Having taken up a pen, she puts it to her little book and leans closer to Ramuq. "So if I may ask, what is your bargain exactly? Is it a spoken oath, carved into stone, written down on paper or perhaps performed through theater or dance?"

Given Zhareen is leading the questions, Korrina focuses on recording info. She takes out a small notebook and records in particular some of the specific names and terms Ramuq uses.

4. - Top - End - #454

GnomeWizardGuy

[Red Plains]

Myzid is blushing something horrible at this point. He is thoroughly embarrassed. "Okay" He looks around trying to remember where they had seen the smoke of the village coming from. It takes him several minutes, but he is able to eventually find the right direction. "Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmm....I think it was over that way? No, there it is! You can just barely see the smoke over there!" He points in the direction to show June then looks back at her.

"Well, let's go see if that really is this hidden village of yours!" Myzid's embarrassment has faded, and he is excited to go to the village they've spotted. He stands eagerly with hid hands clasping the straps of his backpack. He'll wait for June to start moving and fall in beside her happily if she does.
    Never stop rolling!

-Z

5. - Top - End - #455

[Red Plains]

June stands on her toes to look in the direction Myzid is pointing. It obviously doesn't help.
    "Yeah? I guess so?" she says. "Can't really see it right now, but. Yeah. Probably that way."

She starts going that direction.

As it turns out, it's the wrong direction - the town they saw was in that other direction. However, luckly, the ruins they're headed too is actually Ashbourne.

When they near it, it's pretty obviously ruined.
    Abandoned.
    There's a half-burnt sign falling off its hinges, that says "Welcome to Ashbourne"

June stops when she sees it. "Well...I guess this is it?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

6. - Top - End - #456

GnomeWizardGuy

[Red Plains]

Myzid stops dead in his tracks as he sees the ruins. "...oh...what happened here?" He slowly walks up and touches the sign. It creaks loudly and swings slowly back and forth. Some of the ashes come off on his fingers. He looks at them and rubs them together experimentally. Then he looks up and into the ruined city with a concerned look on his face. Turning to look at June he asks, "Why was it you wanted to come here again?"
    Never stop rolling!

-Z

7. - Top - End - #457

[Red Plains] - Ashbourne

June looks over the ruins.

"Oh. Um..." She looks down to reach for what she originally had, reaching for her pockets, with the place written down and the map, but then decides she ultimately doesn't need it. "So...I was reading and looking for some places that could help me against mind control and stuff," she says. "Y'know, like a martial art or some books or some other stuff like that."

Looking at the ruins again, she adds, "So...yeah. Looks like it might be hard to ask around."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

8. - Top - End - #458

GnomeWizardGuy

[Ashbourne]

Myzid nods sadly, "Yeah, umm...doesn't look like anyone is here." It's eerie. He's read about ruined cities and stuff like that before, but to actually be here. To be in one. Myzid shudders and looks at June so he doesn't have to look at the city.

"Did you say protection from mind control? If you don't mind my asking, what do you need protection from mind control for?"
    Never stop rolling!

-Z

9. - Top - End - #459
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Walk in the Woods - Riss]

The bird creatures start to split up with one going towards the area where the creature saw pillars of flame appear moments ago, another going back towards the soldiers position and the final one remaining with it's telescope-like head aimed right back at them.

The sound of battle can still be heard of the distance, and a sudden explosion can be seen.
    She turns to look at it with clear concern before looking back at the being. "Greetings, you don't happen to have seen a tall cat-like woman around here have you? She's my companion and we seems to have lost one another in this chaos." A pause as she again glances at what now must be a battlefield. They can't see anything besides that explosion but the sounds are a bit too close for comfort even if they don't seem to get any closer. "But perhaps we should relocate first?"
    "I have not encountered any other entities beyond yourself, what I presume to be a kind of probe over there, and a armed military group with anachronistic tactics and armaments." came the initial reply as the insectoid began brushing off what ash and detritus it could from the burned locations. Laser and similar damage was perhaps the worst to deal with after the fact in comparison to perhaps a puncture or some kind of severing effect. While normally this would have been accounted for with external equipment, this was still a test to see how baseline projections would measure up. Sure, it meant going about basically naked of other forms of support but it was a necessity to observe outside the vaccume of simulation. "Assuming you are not seeking to harvest this terminal for materials at a more convenient location, If there is an area fitting a greater semblance of security that you are aware of then I will follow." All the while, it still kept some attention towards the bird-creatures. While it might appear to be an 'I am watching you watching me' situation, it was currently only interested in observation... Though it would be interesting if the mind likely behind these winged observers decided to act upon it's probes being directly observed back.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

[Walk in the Woods - Thariza]

"Uh, thanks." Thariza's voice is weak and her heart is still hammering like a tank factory. Did she just help fight a dragon? And not die? Does that make her like Rytlock Brimstone? "Can you tell me who you are and who we just fought?"

[City out of Time]

Cass and Electra will find little difficulty in leaving the barracks and heading towards the library. The city's streets are still as eerily empty as before. They will go uphill again, towards the centre of the city. As they do, the atmosphere... changes. The time anomaly weakens, or perhaps is simply different there, and the city seems to age before their eyes. Buildings crumble, weeds grow and the sorceries pervading the air fade into nothingness. Fortunately, they won't need to use any of the hard light bridges to get where they're going.

Their road takes them to a massive, round courtyard among dilapidated buildings that may have been glorious once. The library is a tall tower reaching into the sky, clearly a centrepiece of the city. The air around it is stale and old. And the two mercenaries might feel as though they're not alone there. The tower has several entrances - one massive, clearly made with someone enormous in mind, and others made for the dwarves and halflings who dwelt here.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

11. - Top - End - #461

[Ashbourne]

Well,
    it's more of a town than a city.

June keeps on looking at the ruins. Ruins are actually pretty cool, she thinks. One time she went to this ruined church in the middle of a pasture, and it had its roof missing and had trees growing in it; that was really cool.

"Yeah," June says, "I did. It's because it can easily ignore consent or take away freedom or whatever." She says that like it's the most obvious thing in existence. It's that obvious why people need protection.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

12. - Top - End - #462

GnomeWizardGuy

[Ashbourne]

Myzid takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly. The ruined town is definitely giving him the heebie-jeebies. He slowly turns around and looks into the city as if steeling himself for something.

"Well," He says, and then hesitates for a second before continuing, "we could take a looks around this place and see if there's anything left behind. It's not that big of a town, is it? If we don't find anything, I have another idea that could possibly work, maybe, but I'm not sure. I have to think on it some more still." He shudders at the thought of digging through the ruined and burned buildings. It just seems so unsettling, and he's quite impressed at how unfazed June is by all this. He takes another slow, deep breath and nods with the small amount of determination he can muster. Then he looks back to June with a nervous smile on his face and says, "Come on, there's got to be something here worth finding, right?"

He's not super thrilled about digging through the ruins of an abandoned town, but he does genuinely want to help, so he's willing to put his fears aside. He also has some calculations running in the back of his mind trying to figure out that other idea he mentioned.
    Never stop rolling!

-Z

13. - Top - End - #463

[Ashbourne]

"So," June quickly decides is worth adding, "..." She pauses. "I already kind-of have something figured out for me, y'know? At least temporarily. Until I can do more. But...trying to figure out something for. . ."

She pauses to try to figure out the proper word to describe it. "...for someone else," she ends up saying. "A friend, I guess. Kind-of. Whatever. Not a big deal."

Honestly, June is a little excited. Going through here, seeing what happened...it feels a little like going through history. Not that unsettling.
    So, the androgynous gal passes the welcome sign and heads into the town proper.

Looking ahead, it looks like the town is split in half by a small river, that goes down between the hills. As expected for a town located in these iron-rich hills, there's loads of ironworking tools about the residential yards and the burnt-out houses. On this side of the river, there appear to have been two distinctively prominent buildings: one that may have been a town hall or something along those lines, and another that's just much larger than the other residential houses or trade or ironworking places. On the other side of the river, there's a couple buildings that likely were churches - one significantly more prominent than the others, and what was once a marketplace.

There's also a few fruit trees that appear to have survived whatever fiery thing happened here - or, were half-burnt but continued growing anyway. Some of the fruit they have, that fell onto the ground and started rotting, have a weird mix of smell somewhere between gasoline and blood.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

14. - Top - End - #464

GnomeWizardGuy

[Ashbourne]

Oh, so that's how she's able to not be scared! Myzid thinks to himself. She's doing this for a friend. Well that makes perfect sense. He nods to himself and follows her into the town. Looking around at the damaged buildings he is totally in awe.

"What the heck happened here?" he asks to no one in particular. Then he spots the metalworking tools in the yard and perks up considerably.

"Hang on a sec! I recognize some of these tools. Renault has been showing me how to use some of them."

He walks over to one of the tools, picks it up, and begins examining it. The burnt wooden handle crumbles in his hands, and he is left only holding the metal head of the hammer. His curiosity is piqued now, and whatever fears or reservations he had previously are forgotten. After looking over the head of the hammer, he looks around the town once more, a thousand questions obviously just on the tip of his tongue. His frost blue eyes filled with a inquisitive light.

"There's definitely something worth finding in here." He whispers to himself.

It's about this point that the smell of the rotting fruit hits him full in the face. He scrunches his nose and leans his head back much like a small child upon encountering an unpleasant odor. "Eugh! That's not a very pleasant scent at all."
    Never stop rolling!

-Z

15. - Top - End - #465

NinjaGuy

[City out of Time]

Electra nods, as her system manages to impose both maps together and she gestures for Cass to follow her. She's quiet, and contemplative on the walk to the library, but as the time anomaly seems to subside, her expression grows pained for a moment.

As they stand in the courtyard, she closes her eyes and rubs her temples gently.

"Ugh....which....which door do you think?"
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

16. - Top - End - #466
    Troll in the Playground

Default Journey to the Center of the Elves

Eon nods. "That is understandable. Would it be possible to arrange a meeting? Perhaps an exchange of knowledge?" He's hoping there's some clue to the mysterious story in the archives here. And he knows a great many things he could possibly trade for access.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

"Our pact is not a written contract." This seems to be a point of pride for Ramuq. "It is a compact our leaders renew each year at spring equinox, when we honor our lady. She keeps the sky clear for us, brings rain when we need it and warns us about enemies. In return, we do not hunt birds that dwell here, only those that come from elsewhere. We sacrifice part of what we fish from the river, for the fey who lives there is her enemy. The exact details of the compact are for our leaders to know." He looks to Eao. "Sky-Cutter prefers to keep to the skies and clouds. What do you wish to know from her and what do you offer in exchange?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

18. - Top - End - #468

[Ashbourne]

"Looks like...some kind of fire?" June responds even though the question wasn't actually addressed to her. "But...it looks like it hit all the houses. Which means it had to have been some kind of wildfire or something, right?"

She looks at the tools, too. "I...only recognize a couple of them," she admits. Looking at it, they're pretty much mostly just common cheap tools. Looks like you might have to find a bigger house or a workshop that belonged to a richer person. This side of the town doesn't really look particularly wealthy.

Speaking of the fruit,
    June notices the smell, too. It is gross, but...she walks over to the half-burned tree anyway. There are some of the fruit still on the tree. She picks one and tastes it. Trying to keep as neutral of a face as possible, she says, "Yup. As expected, tastes like iron. Might need to eat four or five more to start liking them."

She turns, but doesn't drop the fruit. "So! Found anything cool?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Rolling Hills]

It takes another few minutes before the putti figure out the drifting things but eventually they join the others on the outside of the dome.

"I knew you could do it!" Lapis sing-songs at Selekhael. It's probably nice to have a few supportive people around.

"Excellent job, aspirants!" the Servant proclaims. "You have successfully learned to drift! Next, you shall receive a quest! To finish this trial, you must stand on this platform-"

A platform of interwoven coral-like fungus manifests.

"-and accept you new quest!"

Lapis pronks right up onto it!

When the others join her they will be met with a chime as their quest log is updated.

The quest?

Step off the Quest Platform!

Lapis hopes off. Quest complete!

Super simple stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Eao quickly hops onto the platform. Ooh, a quest! She hops off. Done!
    Selekhael is more cautious. She gets onto the platform easily enough. But having a menu is weird. She veeeeeery cautiously accepts, then steps off, hoping nothing strange happens.
    [Rolling Hills]

Quest time! Zabb hops onto the platform when bid, and hops off when bid, raising his hands triumphantly when done. Nothing like a job well done!

When Selekhael gets off the platform, Zabb takes the opportunity to encourage her. "Good job, Selekhael!"
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

20. - Top - End - #470

GnomeWizardGuy

[Ashbourne]

Myzid's face is a mixture of shock and disgust as he watches June eat the fruit. "Ewww!" He looks back down at the tool in his hand and then around him at the various tools strewn throughout the yards.

"If it was just a fire, though, why are all these things just kind of everywhere? A fire wouldn't thrown things around like this." He sees the fruit in June's hand and shivers again.

How could she eat that!?! To take his mind off it, he begins walking towards the remains of what looks like it used to be a town hall.

"I haven't found anything particularly interesting yet, but I bet we could find something cool in there!" He's got a pep and purpose in his step now, and he can almost ignore the smell of the rotting fruit. Almost.
    Never stop rolling!

-Z

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Phoenix Tower

The statue speaks again, and opens its hand- the one holding the key, not the one holding the sword. "You are correct. Continue onwards, with my blessing."

Up the stairs, to the fifth and final floor of the tower. The next door is a trapdoor in the ceiling, with a set of narrow stairs up to it- much narrower than the ones before, little more than a ladder. To reach it, however, Koshal needs to open a gate in the wall of metal bars that block off half the chamber. In this half of the room, there's six buttons, all mounted on pedestals and lined up in a row. The first pedestal is carved like a bird of prey; the second has been polished to a mirror-like shine. The third is shaped like a fist, and the fourth like a dwarf. The fifth pedestal is covered in chains, and the sixth has a small fountain of glowing green liquid built into it.
    [Phoenix Tower]

Krayger examines each of the buttons in turn. They might refer to the challenges? Krayger's first try is the chains first for well, the chains Then the fist for the golem, then the mirror, then the green for the portal with the glowing goo, then the dwarf for the riddle, and finally the bird for this floor.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

22. - Top - End - #472

Quote Originally Posted by Terumitsu View Post
    "I have not encountered any other entities beyond yourself, what I presume to be a kind of probe over there, and a armed military group with anachronistic tactics and armaments." came the initial reply as the insectoid began brushing off what ash and detritus it could from the burned locations. Laser and similar damage was perhaps the worst to deal with after the fact in comparison to perhaps a puncture or some kind of severing effect. While normally this would have been accounted for with external equipment, this was still a test to see how baseline projections would measure up. Sure, it meant going about basically naked of other forms of support but it was a necessity to observe outside the vaccume of simulation. "Assuming you are not seeking to harvest this terminal for materials at a more convenient location, If there is an area fitting a greater semblance of security that you are aware of then I will follow." All the while, it still kept some attention towards the bird-creatures. While it might appear to be an 'I am watching you watching me' situation, it was currently only interested in observation... Though it would be interesting if the mind likely behind these winged observers decided to act upon it's probes being directly observed back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post

"Uh, thanks." Thariza's voice is weak and her heart is still hammering like a tank factory. Did she just help fight a dragon? And not die? Does that make her like Rytlock Brimstone? "Can you tell me who you are and who we just fought?"

"You may call me AmBROsia Ithil, catty lady, and that was... some gal with a really long name I can't remember, Viz-something. Let's just call her Vizzy for short. I don't think she minds at the moment." The dragon glances back at their at least temporarily defeated foe.
    She then raises her large claw and let's it hang in the air almost next to Thariza. "But again, great job! Give me five!" It seems like they're circling back towards where the red dragon went down.

[Scouting Weirdness]

The anachronism of military tactics (and weapons) is probably relative in the nexus.
    To Riss, most things probably are.
    The woman looks to the direction the drone is indicating and then back to it. "This entire area is unstable, but I'd be further away from that." She gestures at the area which just was rocked by an explosion. She will head in the direction of a large rock that can be seen among the mushroom stalks. Above, the previously clear skies start to fill with ominous clouds which darkens the area.
    If the drone follows along, it will notice that to the north the mushroom forest thins out into a large field covered in strange gold colored vegetation similar to wild wheat. At the horizon a tall spire-like structure can be seen.

Behind the relative safety of this rock, the woman stops. "So may I ask you what you're doing here? This area seems to be suffering from some kind of dimensional instability."

23. - Top - End - #473

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Innawoods

Oh dear! Blanche didn't realize her suggestion would be so scandalous! She giggles as the woman teases her, entertained by the wordplay and a fair bit too drunk and distracted to catch just how red Fidella's face is as she entertains the thought. She probably wouldn't catch onto the source of it if she was sober though, most likely simply assuming she's not alone in finding Votsona distracting - Blanche hasn't quite realized the degree of familial relation among the Frescot clan, assuming it was more akin to the usual community of families rather than stemming from one large, sprawling tree.

Not that even a sober Blanche would be in any state to deduce much after the second Frescot plants that big ol' kiss against her cheek. She straightens in surprise with a gasp and a blush, taking a moment to process the event. "O-oh, er, o-of course!" Blanche answers... well, to both questions, really, taking Fidella's hand with a lingering blush.
    [Innawoods]

Fidella squeezes Blanche's hand as they trek off between the trees. It isn't terribly long before they start to hear the sounds of falling water. Beautiful, trickling falls descend along a rock face into a luminous pool. The rocks are stitched with wavering veins of malachite and fluted into smooth canals by centuries of passing time. Large stones protrude from the warbling water, and where the water doesn't reach, old paintings or charms have been left by the Frescots to mark the place.

Vots is lying in the grass by the side of the pool, with some of his belongings neatly piled around him. He looks like he's just finished a bath, perhaps some tea based on the little metal heater arranged above a small fire on the shore. The only thing he's wearing is one of his arm prosthetics. His hair is slicked down with the waters of the pool now rather than the tarry stuff he had in it while he was hunting, and his eyes are closed in peaceful sleep.

Fids has to cover her mouth to stop a chortle at Blanche's expense as they approach. She wiggles a hand to indicate Blanche should crouch down behind some bushes with her, and Blanche can quickly see why. She gives the catgirl a lingering sideways glance, one that seems to say, Well this isn't really a problem for me, we all see each other naked all the time...

Vots, meanwhile, continues dozing by the water without seeming to notice them. He's reasonably good looking in this state, but not strictly a stunner. He's fit and strong, but a little thin and rather narrow at the hip. Built like one of those old gunfighters... or at least the people who played them on TV. It's as though he's cut away all but the barest necessities, leaving him lean and trail-rugged, sketched with scars and muscle that will both be with him til' nigh on the end of his days.

His face, brushed with the barest shadow of stubble, is as sharp and handsome as ever. Little black knives for brows, a thin, smart nose, the start of little crinkles around his eyes... probably from squinting rather than smiling. Provided one doesn't account for that scar over his eye, the years definitely haven't taken his charms yet.

"So, how should we wake him?" Fiddela ponders, perhaps a little too excited to start teasing Blanche. Ooh, she is a bit drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Forest of Flowers]

As has been made clear over the course of recent events, there are many disadvantages to being a personality stuck in the mind of a dragon.

There are, however, a couple of advantages to it. One being her ability to selectively shapeshift to make use of Sylvess' dragon-y abilities. You might assume she'd just shapeshift in wings, but that doesn't work particularly well. Her body's just not really shaped right for a copper dragon's wings. It's awkward and uncomfortable and at best makes it look like she's drunk-flying.

Copper dragons, however, are very good at climbing! So some claws here, a little more muscle there, and she's ready to climb up those vines at ludicrous speed!

She'll try her best not to leave any claw marks, but there's likely to be at least a few little scratches on the way. Hopefully the flowers don't mind?
    [Forest of Flowers]

You don't hear the flowers complaining. Once she reaches the top, it's not very hard to spot Viviana - she seems to be relaxing in the water collected by one of the flowers, lying at the edge of a pool between the petals. Golden-topped fronds extend out of the water and waft softly in the breeze.

Vivi practically pops up when she sees Lucy. She is, of course, unclothed. Nectar and water run off of her in sparkling sheets. "Lucy?" She positively sputters. "Lucy! You're-- you're back! Where have you been?!" It seems like happy surprise at least...
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

24. - Top - End - #474
    Orc in the Playground

Phoenix Tower

Krayger pressed the buttons in the right order, but the eagle doesn't represent this floor- this one doesn't have a button. The bird represents the phoenix.

The door swings open, and Krayger can ascend the final set of stairs to the top of the tower. The flat roof is ringed with crenelated battlements, and on the far side from the door into the tower itself is a nest made primarily of metal scrap- swords, pieces of armour, car parts, and so on; all melted together by heat. Because it is very hot up here; perched on the nest is a very large bird, horse-sized or thereabouts, with feathers of flame. It resembles an osprey, with hooked obsidian talons on its feet and a heavy obsidian beak. Its eyes glow white-hot, the rest of it is oranges and reds. It's not alone on the nest; squatting nearby is a small humanoid, skinny with long arms and legs. It's covered in orange scales, glowing slightly with the heat of the phoenix, and its eyes are large, black and opalescent. The salamander croaks, as the phoenix looks on impassively. "You have made it past the puzzles, Son of Pasiphae. What boon have you to ask Flamewing the Magnificent?"
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

25. - Top - End - #475

[Forest of Flowers]

"Oh, Vivi, hi-" Lucy is halfway through giving an awkward smile and wave when Viviana stands up. Her cheeks flush as her words fall short, not having expected to have encountered Vivi quite so...exposed.

She hurriedly turns away, looking rather flustered. A shame her awkwardness has momentarily got the better of her. The beauty of the moment is quite something. One might almost imagine Vivi had planned it, were it not for Lucy's appearance being completely unexpected.

The way the nectar made the water sparkle and shimmer all the more as it ran off Vivi's-

Oh dear. She might need to give Lucy a moment or two to recover and stop being quite so tongue-tied.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Thariza reaches out slowly to high-five the dragon with her own claws. But something is very wrong here.

"I know Ambrosia Ithil. And she was right next to me when you swooped down to grab me."

27. - Top - End - #477
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Scouting Weirdness]

The anachronism of military tactics (and weapons) is probably relative in the nexus.
    To Riss, most things probably are.
    The woman looks to the direction the drone is indicating and then back to it. "This entire area is unstable, but I'd be further away from that." She gestures at the area which just was rocked by an explosion. She will head in the direction of a large rock that can be seen among the mushroom stalks. Above, the previously clear skies start to fill with ominous clouds which darkens the area.
    If the drone follows along, it will notice that to the north the mushroom forest thins out into a large field covered in strange gold colored vegetation similar to wild wheat. At the horizon a tall spire-like structure can be seen.

Behind the relative safety of this rock, the woman stops. "So may I ask you what you're doing here? This area seems to be suffering from some kind of dimensional instability."
    The rapid atmospheric change was documented. While it was likely a lot of the information gathered today would be rather incongruous, that did not mean it wouldn't be valuable. Just.. Somewhat fragmented. In that theme, though, came the drone's answer. "Observing." Taking a moment, it would also reach out to try and collect some of the vegetation for a sample as well. "Sampling." it continued. "Testing." it concluded though there was no obvious action it took to coincide with that statement. "Events such as these are rich in information. Anything beyond that is simply a bonus." it said. "You? Other than finding your companion, that is." came the question.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

[Phoenix Tower]

Krayger ascends the stairs, ever careful on his feet around such small steps. His look might give some satisfaction to the phoenix; he is certainly impressed as he stands there. "Pasiphae?" he says dumbly, before he remembers himself and bows.
    "It is an honor to stand here, your Magnificence. The only boon I ask is a tuft of down feathers of your glorious person." he says solemnly. Best to play to the creature's ego. And it's not like he can't argue with it having one, being literally made of fire and all that.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Orc in the Playground

Phoenix Tower

The phoenix tilts its head and lowers its neck, ruffling out the blazing feathers of its neck to the salamander perched next to it. Since it's hot enough parts of the metal nest are glowing or dripping, Krayger probably shouldn't try to gather the feathers themselves.

The salamander grabs a metal morion helmet and reaches to the phoenix, digging its arm- which starts to really glow, as the elemental absorbs more of the phoenix's heat- and pulls it out again grasping some flickering feathers, which it puts in the helmet. Holding the helmet carefully, it walks on three limbs towards Krayger, and offers him the helmet with the feathers inside. They're quite hot, probably too hot to touch easily, but they'll stay in the helmet unless Krayger drops it.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

[Phoenix Tower]

Well, Krayger wasn't exactly expecting the phoenix to talk so little. He was honestly expecting it to brag a bit for something that named itself Magnificent. But he won't complain about being spared such a fate.
    Krayger reaches down into his bag and gets out one of his thick gloves again. With his hand protected, he takes the helmet.
    "Thank you." he intones, bowing to the phoenix again. Best to leave on good terms, right?