New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 1485
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Rivergreen]

"Can you make it there? I mean, we might need to hurry. Here."
    Anchor tries to infuse some strength and confidence into the spirit and help her down the street. If getting further from it didn't help, there must have been some harm coming from the house, surely where the screaming started.
    They'll have to get to the bottom of it, hopefully before things get worse.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 49: I don’t remember what it looks like either

Rivergreen

"Yeah," Myriam croaks. She staggers towards the house. "Whatever's going on in there is wrong. Deeply unnatural. It makes me sick." Up the porch they go, to their first obstacle: a locked door. If Myriam were feeling well, she could bash it down, no problem. But she's not. "It's coming... From the top of the house." She adds.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #1473

Default [Rivergreen]

"Let's not waste time then."
    Anchor nods at her shadow, which hope over to Myriam and makes itself for the moment solid enough to pick her up and, hopefully, lift her to a window higher up on the house.
    For herself, Anchor quickly conjures a little ladder out of the edge of shadows and nearby sunbeams, leans it against the house, and starts climbing.

She could have taken time to get through the lock, but why bother when they're going up anyway.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Troll in the Playground

Rivergreen

Up they go, Myriam holding on as best she can, to a window with heavy blackout curtains drawn across its interior. "In there... Hurry." Myriam points out the window. It's securely locked, but it's just a glass pane. It wouldn't be hard to break it.

My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #1475

Default [Rivergreen]

Anchor draws that pistol and uses the butt of it to smash in the window and draw back the curtain.
    If that goes off well enough, her shadow will set Myriam down in the (presumably horrifying) room beyond, and Anchor will step in off the ladder, brushing away bits of broken glass...
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Troll in the Playground

Rivergreen

The room beyond is pretty horrific. It was an attic at some point. Now it looks like a ritual chamber. Blasphemous runes are scrawled in red paint over every surface, and a makeshift altar has been set up on a table in the center of the chamber. There's no one here, unless you count the corpse. Lying on the altar is a dead man in a black cloak, his skin the pallid color of someone a couple days dead, and the smell just starting to leak out. He bears no visible signs of injury to explain his condition.

My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #1477

Default [Rivergreen]

Smells bad, looks much worse. Doesn't seem like there's anyone been up in this ritual attic for a while, but something clearly happened here.
    "Sword." she quickly says to her shadow. While it's gamely getting out the demon-slaying sword and materializing it into the 3D world, Anchor steps up and tries to kick over the altar. It's clearly been set up in a hurry, it shouldn't be much trouble.
    Mostly she's wondering if this ominous dead man is going to get back up.
    "No wonder you felt this." He looks dead for days, but Myriam heard a scream more recently than that, didn't she?
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2021-03-22 at 11:59 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Troll in the Playground

Rivergreen

"Y-yeah." Myriam's teeth are chattering. This place terrifies her. Everything about it feels wrong. She just feels sick, mostly.
    The makeshift altar is kicked over, and the body collides stiffly with the ground. There's no change in the unholy atmosphere of the place. "Who is that?" She unslings the scythe from her back and begins using its blade to scratch out runes. It feels like the right thing to do, and she feels a little better because of it.

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #1479

Default [Rivergreen]

"I don't, I mean, I don't recognize him." Quite possibly he was a sacrifice of some sort and the altar has already done it's work.
    Anchor adjusts her sunglasses slightly and looks down at the fallen body. Unless something has hidden the facts very well, she should just see how long he's been dead, if his spirit has moved on (or if any other spirits are hanging around the corpse), although most other facts are further from her expertise and would take time and effort to dig up.
    Then she takes the sword her shadow had been offering. The shadow then glides across the attic floor, heading for...there must be a door or hatch leading down into the house, that it could try to peek around.
    "Good thinking with those runes. Keep it up."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Troll in the Playground

Rivergreen

The man hasn't been dead nearly as long as he appears to be, not even a day ago. There aren't any foreign spirits nearby, but his own is still clinging onto his corpse. It's not a human spirit, but rather some radiant being that vaguely resembles the dead body. He seems unaware of anything going on around him, remaining still within the body.

The shadow can peek through a trapdoor to see the interior of a broom closet. It's pretty dusty except for the set of very obvious footprints leading to the ladder up to the attic. The door leads out to a short upstairs hallway with a couple doors on either side, and a staircase down to the ground level.

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Dimensional Troubles]

As they say, if you gaze for long into a dragon, the dragon gazes also into you.

Though so far Riss doesn't seemed to have gazed too long onto it as it simply continues on its current trajectory.
    Ambrosia seems preoccupied with observing it, not traveling particularly fast, when Riss suddenly raises her inquiry. "Ah, you could say that I'm self-taught but I'm officially recognized as an expert by- well, it doesn't carry any weight here. Though, looking at this particular dragon I think we could actually gain by drawing it's attention. You wouldn't have a tool for that would you?" She inquires with a glance at the drone. "Don't worry, I'm certain I can communicate to her peacefully. I suspect you might have some questions for her as well." She seems quite certain it's a female dragon.
    [Dimensional Troubles]

If Ambrosia felt it was safe then... Well, Riss wasn't worried about actual harm so much as perhaps missing out on further opportunity. Regardless, up close examination of a dragon was not to be passed up even if this was a miscalculation. "I have a method I could employ, yes." she said, raising two upper arms. The result wouldn't be necessarily detectable by Ambrosia unless she were standing in a very specific spot as it was basically the same concept as would be behind a laser... Though far less potent to avoid any ocular damage. Still, light directed at a point where one's eyes were calculated to be would be a nice way to send a message or attract the attention of just one being rather than, say, dozens of others that may be in the area. The actual image that had been selected was just a simple circle but centered to where moving towards it would lead the dragon right to them... Though, perhaps the dragon might be taken just slightly aback with the whole thing unless they might be aware of some of the design concepts of augmented reality.

Of course, since hiding was off the table for the moment... Well, maybe a bit higher scan intensity wouldn't be out of the question. If either Ambrosia or the dragon had senses that leaned more aetherial, they would detect the avid flickering of a burning, glowering, eye-like flame seeping from the metal drone-form from that odd blue sensor.

12. - Top - End - #1482

Default [Rivergreen]

"He died recently; probably what woke you. This awful magic must be why the body looks so bad."
    Anchor returns her gun to its holster, but she hands onto the sword, just in case.
    "There's no one in the hall downstairs, but there might be elsewhere in the house. What you felt is here, in this room, right?"
    She crouches down by the corpse, wondering just what this man is...or was.
    Let's see; it's been a while since she personally dealt with an undeparted spirit, hasn't it? But she should still remember how to do this, and speaks with a certain edge to her voice that should carry it to ghosts and hopefully even strange radiant spirits.
    "Excuse me, sir. You seem to have died in ominous and mysterious circumstances, and I had a few questions, and perhaps an offer of help."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Troll in the Playground

Rivergreen

Find the book. Reverse the chant. Remove the bond. The radiant being replies. "Yes, just here." Myriam's destroyed a few runes by now, but that doesn't seem to have any effect on the bound entity.

My Nexus characters

14. - Top - End - #1484

Default [Rivergreen]

Anchor nods at the ghostly being. That was remarkably straightforward for a situation like this.
    "Okay, Myriam, we're looking for a book. I mean, it's probably lower down in the house. To undo all this with."

That said, she goes and opens the trapdoor, slides down into the closet, and opens the door out into the hall. Plenty of places on the top floor to check, unless she hears something...
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Ogre in the Playground