New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 49: I don’t remember what it looks like either

[City out of Time]

Cass nods. "Yes, that sounds about right. The being I came into contact with introduced himself as The King in Rags."

She looks over the map, trying to see if there's anything that looks like the library mentioned. "I wonder what kind of knowledge he could fear..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Orc in the Playground

Phoenix Tower

Fortunately it has been days since the last rain, and the metal is not slippery. Climbing it is tricky, but Kothar manages it and reaches the door. Awkwardly, the door opens outwards, which is tricky when there's next to nothing to stand on.

Inside, at the far end of the room there is a spiral staircase upwards, but it is guarded. In the centre of the room stands a construct, a statue of brass formed into the shape of a man- well, mostly. Its arms end in steel flanged maces and its head is shaped like an anvil. An iron chain leads from a hook on the golem's back to an iron chest sank into the floor, etched with weird designs and mystic symbols, that seem to writhe under the chest's surface and along the chain, disappearing into the construct's back.

The golem, once Kothar stands in the room, charges the minotaur and thrusts an arm at them. The chain isn't quite long enough to let the golem effectively reach the door, so this is the best attempt it can make at pushing Kothar out of the tower.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [The Joining House --> Innnawoods]

"Pay him a visit on the way? Are you sure...?" Fidella looks at Blanche somewhat seriously... as seriously as she can manage when she's this inebriated.

"He's just gonna get jeal-ous~" The other Frescot lady sing-songs. She leans into Blanche. "We're all eager to squeeze ya, but wouldn't it be better if we wenta' see him in the mornin?"
    The Joining House --> Innawoods

"Well er, I was-" The catgirl blushes in embarrassment, but still manages to muster the will to explain. Mostly thanks to the drink. "I was more thinking... if he wanted to come along?"
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Default Secluded Forest

Kothar nods. That's a good assessment, even if Hunter's vernacular is a little off. "Do you know fire? He pulls a flint and steel out of his pack, to see if Hunter recognizes them. It's a reasonable question to ask someone who lives in the water.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #275
    Orc in the Playground

Secluded Forest

"I've heard of it, and seen it. Felt the hot of it, too. But I don't know how to make it." Hunter doesn't recognise the flint and steel, either. He's never made fire before, nor seen it made. It was a good question to ask, though Hunter's strange descriptions of the world around them likely provided a clue to the likelihood of his knowledge on the subject.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Open Field

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Jade seems a bit put off by the other centaur's seeming lack of interest. She idly thinks that maybe she could do something to make her interested. She managed to turn into a catgirl for Marin somehow, maybe she could do something like that here? But she dismisses it. "What are you working on?" She attempts some small talk instead.
    Could the curse make her back into a man if that's what someone is interested in? At least part of the way?
    Failing that, maybe she could have a very unusual coat pattern.

Possible danger...
    She's just annoyed to be ignored.

"Oh, I've been trying out some things to make it faster. And I think I did. But it seems none of the old flight patterns work with it."
    "What is it you're doing out here?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Open Field

No, it couldn't. That is one of its limitations. It could make her more masculine, but biologically, she's stuck as a female. Anyway, she decided not to care about how Alice sees her, so her form isn't about to change.
    "I'm just getting some fresh air. It gets crowded in the city." Jade looks at the drone quizzically. "Is the failure consistent? Have you isolated it to a specific process?"

Secluded Forest

"Watch." Kothar takes the flint and steel and strikes them together to make sparks. "Rock and metal make sparks. Sparks and wood make fire." Kothar stands up. "I be back soon. Stay safe." He leaves the flint and steel lying on a rock.
    Last edited by bc56; 2020-08-20 at 01:23 AM.

My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #278

Default [Open Field]

Must be nice to be able to simply decide not to care how someone sees you. A lot of people would still be subtly influenced.

Alice almost fails to hear the first part of what Jade said because the second part has to do with the helicopter drone.
    "Consistent yes, isolated no. You know something about this sort of work?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

Default Open Field

You are quite right. But because Jade isn't trying, the effect is going to be more slow and subtle. The emergence of faint stripes in her coat, the slight reduction in chest size and curviness. Jade hasn't even noticed yet.
    "I'm a bit of an electrical engineer myself." Jade shrugs. "I might be able to help a little."

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Phoenix Tower

Fortunately it has been days since the last rain, and the metal is not slippery. Climbing it is tricky, but Kothar manages it and reaches the door. Awkwardly, the door opens outwards, which is tricky when there's next to nothing to stand on.

Inside, at the far end of the room there is a spiral staircase upwards, but it is guarded. In the centre of the room stands a construct, a statue of brass formed into the shape of a man- well, mostly. Its arms end in steel flanged maces and its head is shaped like an anvil. An iron chain leads from a hook on the golem's back to an iron chest sank into the floor, etched with weird designs and mystic symbols, that seem to writhe under the chest's surface and along the chain, disappearing into the construct's back.

The golem, once Kothar stands in the room, charges the minotaur and thrusts an arm at them. The chain isn't quite long enough to let the golem effectively reach the door, so this is the best attempt it can make at pushing Kothar out of the tower.
    Phoenix Tower

Krayger barely manages to pull himself up from the chain and yank open the door with one of his hooks. He's barely gotten one hook untied on the threshold when he's charged by a golem. Dropping the hook, he jumps to the side as he digs into his belt, taking out a tiny marble from it and throwing it at the golem. This of course being one of his marbles that explodes into an electrical burst on contact.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

[City out of Time]

There are several buildings that look like they could be a library, all of them located in the centre of the city. It's also where the defenders' forces are concentrated, which would make sense if they do want to keep the King in Rags away from it.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

12. - Top - End - #282

NinjaGuy

[City out of Time]

Electra cross-references the probably library locations with the defenders indicated on the map with the maps the dwarves showed Cass and her when before they entered the city. Perhaps that will help them nail down exactly where to start. She nods at Cass.

"Maybe he's some kind of fae king? Remember what that mechanical bull said about elves being allies or something with the fae? What if he's a former fae king? King-In-Rags would certainly imply that," she says quietly, apparently thinking out loud. "But...what sort of weaknesses would a fae king have? And were they already used against him, and that's why he's now 'in rags'? Or something else?"
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

13. - Top - End - #283

[A walk through the woods]

Ambrosia is currently leading Thariza away from inside and into outside for what she claims is another research project. She is trying to explain it as they walk.
    "Thariza, for this project I'm going to have to explain a few things. I've noticed that you're marked by a entity which is tracking your movements and I just so happen to be familiar with the entity in question. So I figured that we would go to the entity in question and have it remove the mark. Is that okay with you? I'm sure you know what entity I'm talking about. A mark like that is only left after an event which can't go unnoticed."

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

[A walk through the woods]

"It wouldn't be accurate to say I know this entity, but I know who you mean, yes." Thariza's voice is glum but resolved. "It treated me like a lab rat but brought be back from the dead, so I'm willing to call it a wash. I'd rather not be tracked by it, so removing this mark is fine with me."
    Last edited by Morty; 2020-08-22 at 08:26 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

15. - Top - End - #285

Default [Open Field]

You are quite right. But because Jade isn't trying, the effect is going to be more slow and subtle. The emergence of faint stripes in her coat, the slight reduction in chest size and curviness. Jade hasn't even noticed yet.
    "I'm a bit of an electrical engineer myself." Jade shrugs. "I might be able to help a little."
    Some part of Alice notices the slow changes right away.
    Her coat...
    More data requested.

But she doesn't mention it.

"Oh, sure. Take a look."
    Alice flips the drone over and opens up a panel on the bottom of it.
    Unfortunately, there's nothing obviously wrong with the electronics. There are some components attached to the sensors that can't switch rapidly enough when it's moving at top speed. But while the drone is still here, everything is working as intended. You'd have to know the tolerances of the pieces in question.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Default Open Field

Jade is, unfortunately, not versed in helicopter drone design. She takes a look. "I don't see anything clearly wrong. But maybe it's not obvious. What system do you think it's in?" That might help narrow it down a bit. Jade's changes slowly continue in the meantime.

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #287
    Orc in the Playground

Secluded Forest

Hunter takes the flint and steel, and he's going to try copying what Kothar does with it to produce the flame. If he succeeds, he's startled and drops the flint. He's from under the sea, so he doesn't actually realise or know how dangerous fire can be, so he's possibly not paying as much attention as he should be.

Phoenix Tower

The golem is struck by the electrical burst marble and freezes in place for a moment- Krayger can enter the tower and get behind it in this point, though he does not have time to reach the spiral staircase at the back of the room before it starts moving again. He might have time to disable it somehow, however.

18. - Top - End - #288

Default [Open Field]

Alice is also not versed in helicopter drone design. This one is fairly unconventional in its construction.
    "It could be a problem with the gimbals, making it lose track of its orientation?" This is not the case. But it could have been. And more importantly, you can test it by waving the drone around and flipping it over.
    Her hand moves, fingers tapping at the air, as she thinks and checks about possible problems.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Secluded Forest

After a couple tries, maybe Hunter will be able to produce sparks, but it's unlikely he'll get an actual blaze going unless he keeps at it for a while. Kothar is going to be gone for some time.

Open Field

"Maybe one of the components is being overloaded?" Jade hits a little closer to the truth. "That could make it shut down at the wrong time."

My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #290
    Orc in the Playground

Secluded Forest

Hunter is determined, and it didn't look very hard. He sees no reason why he shouldn't be able to replicate the feat and create fire. It probably won't be the most useful skill to take back to his pod- or rather, to bring to a new pod, since his mother and sisters don't want him hanging around and a new pod would have women in it that aren't his mother, sisters or other close relatives. He's still continuing to try and create fire with the flint and steel.

21. - Top - End - #291

Default [Open Field]

"Maybe one of the components is being overloaded?" Jade hits a little closer to the truth. "That could make it shut down at the wrong time."
    "Maybe. Should probably test them one at a time. Not sure if I brought all the things I'll need out here."
    And at this point Alice is busily waving the drone around and checking its readings.

"How are you doing that, with your coat?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Secluded Forest

A few tries later, some sparks strike dry grass, which bursts into flame! Hunter can feel proud of his accomplishment. He managed to create fire without Kothar's help! The fire burns cheerily away, until an ember suddenly drifts into the branches of a nearby dead tree. Uh oh. With a sudden roar, the flames begin spreading across the dry wood rapidly, sparks and more embers jumping off every which way and occasionally igniting more plants.

Open Field

"My coat?" Jade looks down and notices the stripes for the first time. "Oh!" She brushes an hand along her flank, as if to confirm her zebra stripes aren't going to come off when touched. She notices the other changes a few moments later. She didn't realize her bust had shrunk, or that she'd gained a little more muscle definition. She seems less girly and more tomboyish. "It's a curse on me. When I spend time around someone, I... Change. To become more attractive to them." At least that's what she assumes is happening.

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #293
    Orc in the Playground

Secluded Forest

Hooray, Hunter made fire! He feels... really quite pleased.

That pleased disappears pretty quick as the fire starts to spread and burn more than he intended. "Uh, uh sir! Kothar! Help, something went wrong! What do I do?" Think, think Hunter! Fire doesn't burn underwater, so water should put it out, right? Do you have a water skin somewhere to try using? Yes, there. That's emptied on the big dead tree, and now... there's still probably a lot of fire around. If Kothar doesn't turn up soon, Hunter's going to grab his stuff and go into the basement in the hope that it doesn't burn down there.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Default Secluded Forest

Kothar doesn't respond. He's away doing something, but doubtless he's on his way, having noticed the spreading wildfire. But in the meantime, Hunter is going to have to run for the basement. He should be able to make it in time, and thankfully it's both cool and damp there, unlikely to catch fire.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Phoenix Tower

Krayger pulls off his second climbing hook, drawing his oversized revolver. While the golem is still unbalanced Krayger goes for the chest it's tied to. Maybe if he can open it he'll be able to take out its power supply? He can check what sort of locks and/or latches are holding it closed at least. Pull on the top.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

26. - Top - End - #296
    Orc in the Playground

Secluded Forest

Down into the ruined house's basement Hunter goes! He's quite scared and worried, since he has absolutely no idea how fire behaves nor how long it will last.

He hopes he hasn't screwed up too badly and that Kothar still wants him.

Phoenix Tower

The chest is, unfortunately, locked. Pulling won't do anything, either. The lock is large and ornate, with a tiny keyhole. The golem is starting to turn around, and Kraygar might see the other end of the chain, looped onto a hook on the golem's back. Also on the hook is a key.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

Default Secluded Forest

A few minutes later, Kothar slips into the basement, a little scorched, but well. "You make fire?" He asks. He knows the answer, or thinks he does, at least. He wants to see whether Hunter will lie about it.

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #298
    Orc in the Playground

Secluded Forest

"Yes. I... I made too much fire. And I didn't know how to stop it." There's little point in lying, since he was told to make fire and given the tools for it and then the forest burnt down. "I emptied my waterskin, trying to stop it. But I didn't have enough water." And now he has no water, which is unfortunate as he's not used to not having water.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Default Secluded Forest

Kothar doesn't seem upset. "Fire is dangerous thing. Used carefully, is most powerful tool. Carelessly, is force of destruction. Know how to keep it safe. I will teach." Hunter's not going to be abandoned just for one mistake like this. Especially because even if Kothar doesn't mention it, it's a golden opportunity to teach caution and restraint.

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #300
    Orc in the Playground

Secluded Forest

Hunter nods, and wonders about that. Fire's not a tool he'd encountered often before he left the sea, yet the drylanders seem to rely on it for everything. He's just witnessed its power, but besides warmth, Hunter has no idea what it could be used for- he's used to eating things raw.