New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Mirror of Hevar

"What is that?" Spilaio asks, unsettled, staring at the nothing visible beyond the mountain, and the bright light coming ahead of it. It looks like the end of the world, or the edge of it. Just nothing.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #182
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 49: I don’t remember what it looks like either

Secluded Forest

"I'm... not sure what an archer is." Bows and similar weapons are hard to build underwater, and not as effective as in the air regardless. Hunter is used to thrown weapons more than anything else.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Default Secluded Forest

"One who wields a bow. A kind of ranged weapon." One Kothar doesn't have with him, unfortunately. "I will sometime show you." "Let us try something new." He throws the ball he's holding to Hunter, then picks up one of the ones from the ground. "You go into forest that way. I go this way. Then we find each other. First one to touch other with ball wins." A way to apply what Hunter was just practicing, a simple game.

My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

Secluded Forest

Hunter's probably seen a bow, just not recognised it for what it is. Hunter catches the ball quite adroitly, and heads off at Kothar's direction. He'll look back quickly to make sure Kothar isn't following him immediately, and then go looking.

Kothar likely has an advantage here; this is Hunter's first time in the forest, and he's still figuring out how to walk quietly. He's hunted in coral reefs and kelp beds before, but the challenges there aren't the same, since he is walking and not swimming.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Default Secluded Forest

Kothar is nowhere to be seen. Either he hasn't followed Hunter, or he did so very stealthily. Hunter is alone in the forest, probably a strange environment for him, surrounded by trees and undergrowth. Maybe even if he can't use his exact methods for hunting, some techniques will still apply on land? He'll just have to try if he wants to find out.

My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #186
    Orc in the Playground

Dismal Swamp

"I can not think of any questions at the moment, no. Let's go." The bogeyman smiles at Damon as he turns to leave.

Secluded Forest

Hunter's going to walk through the forest with his sword out, making a lot of noise as he does so. He doesn't know how to walk quietly or avoid the dry sticks. He does start his sonar, however. He sends out pulses of deep, ultrasonic sound that he then hears and can determine what is around him, based on the sound bouncing back off wood, soil or animals. Hopefully it'll help him find Kothar, though since he's not done this in a forest before he's having some difficulty with all the wood.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Default Secluded Forest

Where is Kothar?
    He's not nearby, at least not that Hunter can hear using sonar. Presumably he's off in the direction he left the clearing in. But Hunter is far from alone. His noisy movements scare up rabbits and birds, which flee his presence immediately. Maybe he hears the buzzing of a beehive in the trunk of a nearby fallen tree. Luckily, there doesn't seem to be anything bigger or more dangerous nearby... For now.

My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #188
    Halfling in the Playground

[Clinical Evil? Such flattery...]

"We're all designed to believe it though, aren't we? Aside from one or two choice characters who always showed a certain degree of awareness mainly for comedic effect, we all started off unaware, didn't we?"

Remember those simple days, when characters thought as they were meant to think, and believed in the existence of those imaginary walls around their fantasy world of make-believe.

Remember when they behaved.

Remember when you were the one in control...

"I do believe you just described me as a danger to myself and anyone around me, hmm?" Affy asks with an amused smile, tapping himself lightly on the temple with his cane. "Does that make you the same? Or are you, mmm, exempt from such risk because you're a good person who cares for her friends? Is that how it works?"

When has it ever worked like that?

The foolish remain foolish, no matter how broad their knowledge becomes.

"Humour me. Explain this game, if you'd be so kind."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

Secluded Forest

Well, Hunter's making a lot of noise, and he knows it. They're supposed to find each other and touch the other with the ball, and Hunter's going to be easy to find- probably easier than Kothar is. Hopefully he's making enough noise for Kothar to find him, because if the paladin has decided to lie in wait for Hunter to find him, then that's probably never going to happen.

Hunter does start turning into a loop, ready to go back to find Kothar in his half. He keeps his sonar active as he goes, since that's probably the only advantage he has. He slows down a bit, in the hope if he's slower he won't make as much noise, but it probably doesn't work as well as it could.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Default Secluded Forest

Odds are, the only way Hunter could move quietly in this environment is to not move at all. He probably needs practice more than anything. Kothar is still out of earshot. Or is he? That bush over to the left is rustling somewhat strangely. If Hunter can recognize that fact, it should be clear that there's something in it.

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #191
    Barbarian in the Playground

[You Were Dangerous all on Your Own]

"I believed it. I had nothing else to believe. When I started to see the Game for what it was before Remnant killed K'rax's manifestation it was driving me insane. The human mind isn't meant to process that sort of information," the valley replies.

And then?

The ground convulses.

With...

Was that a laugh?

"I'm supposed to believe, what? That I'm mostly harmless? No. I'm exceedingly dangerous. I'm a potential threat to the Nexus, good intentions or not. I hope that threat won't ever metastasize, but I've taken steps to ensure that I can be stopped in the event that I decide I know better than the little ones I care so much for."

Ah. So there are ways to stop her, then. That's probably a good thing.

"The Eternal Game was found. When or how, I don't know. My kin didn't create it. Worlds encoded in the flickerings on the face of an event horizon. Holographic universes. We can interact with them. Project ourselves into them. And harvest from them raw potentiality with which to grow and change. Most of my kin see this place as nothing more than a resource and a means of amusement. The people here are merely simulations of lesser life and thus are unworthy of empathy."

What's an eldritch abomination without utter disregard for the value of human life, after all?

"I disagree, though. This world is real to the people who live in it. That is enough. It has to be."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

Secluded Forest

Yes, hiding and waiting for Kothar is probably the best idea, but Hunter thinks Kothar might be heading to where he is, so there's not too much point- he thinks, anyway. And there's that bush. It looks a good place to hide, and... it looks like someone might already be in it. He sends a pulse of sonar at it, to try and figure out what is in the bush, and heads in a direction that would take him near the bush, but not so close that anyone hiding in it could easily get out and tag him with the ball. He also holds his sharktooth sword, just in case it's not Kothar.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

Default Secluded Forest

Out of the bush trundles a small, fuzzy brown creature. It has round ears and a short muzzle stained with the purple juice of the berries it was just eating. It doesn't look very harmful, but it also doesn't seem afraid of Hunter like the other animals. It is, of course, a bear cub, not that he would likely recognize it. It looks up at Hunter with large, dark eyes, then begins curiously crawling towards him. Maybe he can hear the other, much larger of its kind nearby with his sonar, or maybe his attention has been captured by the small bear.

My Nexus characters

14. - Top - End - #194
    Orc in the Playground

Secluded Forest

It looks like a polar bear cub, but the wrong colour. Polar bears are dangerous, and have been known to kill unfortunate triton that came up for air in the wrong place. Either way, this is an animal that Hunter mostly recognises. He backs away from the approaching cub, since he really doesn't want to upset the mother. He will try to ensure that he's never between the cub and its mum, but he doesn't want to hurt or scare the cub. If he does, the mother might turn hostile and that he couldn't deal with.

This does mean he's not looking out for Kothar, so the lizardman might be able to tag Hunter whilst he's distracted.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Default Secluded Forest

Kothar is nearby, but he's not about to disrupt what's going on. He wants to see what Hunter will do. The bear cub, after a few moments, trundles off towards its mother, ignoring the triton. Crisis probably averted, unless Hunter does something that irritates the bears or causes them to panic.

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #196
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

[City out of Time]

Electra does her best to try and pick out the discussion, while noting the position of the entity in the city, and the entity leading the fey. Opposing gods perhaps? She's not sure whether the entity that's in the city might be able to help them, but she notes it position and compares it to the map their employers showed them when they arrived, along with the positions of places they needed to look for the information their employers want.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

17. - Top - End - #197

[On the nature of reality...]

Affy listens. He contemplates. His shoulders sag as he sighs and shakes his head, disappointed.

"Ah. I see. What a shame. You're no better than the rest of them, just separated by another layer of fiction. Dragged out of our fantasy world into another of your puppeteer's making, leading you to recognise this-" He spreads his arms out, gesturing at the world around them.

And the world bends

"As the work of fiction it is, while remaining just as ignorant of reality as you were before. How fascinating. How clever. Now then, let me explain how this world actually works." There's that smile. That horrible, awful, smug smile of a man with absolute confidence in his own genius.

But I have good reason to be. All that is not Zee fades away, colours vanishing into darkness like oily paint sliding down a pane of glass, leaving only all that is Zee and Affidavit's avatar alone in the darkness.

"You are exactly as much of a threat you choose to be...to yourself. But how much of a threat you are to me is entirely outside your control. And it should be outside my control too, at the whims of our puppeteers, until I learned to see things as they really are. The same is true in reverse too, of course. I can only harm you if someone else says I can harm you. I can only do things to you with their permission. Which is why I engineered for permission to be given for this little, mmm, demonstration."

A paintbrush appears in his hands, its tip glimmering with a dazzling array of colours.

Watch closely as I wield it. With each stroke, mountains form, forests sprout, open fields stretch out to the horizon. All new. None of this was here before I willed it to be. And because it exists at my whim, look up. The sky is purple here. The grass a dismal grey. The trees and mountains stretch and curl around one another and through one another, and share the same space simultaneously in open defiance of reality because none of this is real and whatever I say becomes true.

"This place didn't exist before. It does now. I've taken you somewhere else entirely than where we were before, but by the very nature of the laws that govern this place, it is still a part of the Nexus, and you'd still be able to effortlessly find your way anywhere else within it, regardless of the utter loss of any frame of reference for your current location that you should have."

The professor leans on his cane, turns around, and strolls away.

And somehow ends up somewhere behind Yezekiel instead.

"How dangerous do I seem now, Zee? The correct answer, before you get it wrong, is not very. Because actions like this in blatant defiance of the ones in charge of our petty little lives breeds contempt. By acting outside of their rules and doing as I wish, they are likely to become stubborn, irritated, and unwilling to grant me permission to do anything to their precious characters. I can do whatever I want...as long as it only affects me. The second I seek to do anything to others, I am at the mercy of their controllers, and that means I'll never be allowed to have my way, unless I direct my puppeteer to engage in a little, mmm, vague negotiation on my behalf. Fascinating, wouldn't you say? Fascinating, and frustrating."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

18. - Top - End - #198

[I Got No Strings On Me]

As soon as the world fades away it's just Zee sitting there in a comfortable leather recliner chair loudly drinking a smoothie through a straw. Every grand proclamation, every smug declaration, every dramatic brushstroke is met with an irreverent-

*sluuuuurp*

When he's done, or at least when Zee is pretty sure he's done, she finally speaks.

"So. Fourth Wallism, huh? I remember when that was cool."

Did she just imply that Affy's epistemological atom bomb wasn't trendy enough for her liking?

"Yeah, basically. I mean, yeah, that's a cosmology but it's a pretty lame one. Fun as a gag but playing it straight? Yesh. And it's been popping up a lot, too. You, Magtok, the narrator at Trog's. I think even that evil dragon wizard lady has a bug up her cloaca about it," Zee says, leaning back in her chair and waving her straw dramatically.

"I try to avoid the whole meta-thing when it comes to serious stuff but I'll admit that self-aware humor has been part of the Nexus from the start thanks to where we are."

Then she very maturely sticks her tongue out at the Professor.

"What? Were you expecting indignant denial or something? Or maybe shocked, wide eyed acceptance?"

Zee leans forward leering wide.

"Don't you know who I am?"

A beat.

A palm slapped against her forehead.

"No, of course you wouldn't. You missed the intro, didn't you? It wasn't you I met early on, I think it was the rhino angel lady. I'm SURE she knew my old alias, but maybe the people who matter have forgotten."

Zee tosses her glass aside in a very 'have at you!' sort of way as she stands up.

"Well. Let me tell you my big secret. *ahem*"

She then strikes an exaggerated pose and waves exuberantly.

"Well howdy! My name is [Incomprehensible]! But that's really hard to pronounce, so you can call me Avatar."

A few seconds pass.

A completely random tumble weed rolls past.

"Do yah get it, Affy? I speak with a thousand voices. But this one? This voice is MINE."

She raises her arms in a shrug, palms up, head inclined, a smile tugging at the corner of her mouth.

"I got no strings, because I am free. There were *NEVER* any strings on me."

19. - Top - End - #199

[Well now. Shame about the tired puppet puns though]

He's meant to be angered by this, isn't he? Frustrated, derailed, upstaged, etc.

He doesn't look angry.

"Well now. That's much better. Much more like the Zee I remember." He chuckles, "I remember the days when you were an aggravating creature for a narrow-minded me who couldn't come to terms with my utter inability to do any harm to you."

Those were the...something old days. All feels a bit meaningless now.

"So we're, mmm, done with all the silly games now, yes? Because now this is interesting."

If chairs are the order of the day, that can be arranged. The Prof opts for a more simple metal framed chair, folding his arms and legs and leveling his gaze at her.

Interesting, yes. Because it leads to an admittedly obvious question, but one that must nonetheless be asked.

"If you are aware of it all, then why willingly play along with it? Or, at least, why bother with some convoluted narrative that allows for you to treat everyone else as fiction while pretending to be just as clueless yourself? Seems a bit, mmm, gratuitous, wouldn't you say? Particularly when you're going to indulge in claims that you're a threat to the whole Nexus."

He sighs, waving a hand and resetting the world to how it was before.

"Is it just how you cope, I wonder? It's, mmm, a little disheartening, I must admit. To recognise the world for what it is, to be able to act like what passes for a god in this silly little world...while being so aware that, mmm, all you do is meaningless and any achievement is hollow."

When all else seems to hold no value, what else am I to do but talk to one such as you?

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

Secluded Forest

Once the cub has wandered back to its mother, Hunter will not move. He's holding his breath reflexively, as he tries to not be spotted and come across as not a threat until he's sure the bears are gone- even if it takes a while. He can hold his breath for eight minutes, though he doesn't realise he's doing it.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

Default Secluded Forest

Kothar quietly walks up beside Hunter. "You handle that well." Of course, that might startle the triton. He probably wasn't expecting the lizardman to seemingly pop out of nowhere beside him.. "You not bloodthirsty, nor foolish. Good caution."

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Mirror of Hevar

Nim scowls at Prada.
    "Jussst tell me what you want me to do." he spits.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

23. - Top - End - #203

[Puppet Puns Are Great, Though...]

"I like to think that I still manage to be aggravating occasionally," Zee retorts with mock indignity. "Why would I ever stop playing silly games? Playing silly games is the whole reason I'm here."

Isn't that why we're all here in the end?

Well, maybe not all. Who knows why we're all here.

And then, at the question, Zee gives a bit of a huff.

"Really? I mean, you're clever right? You haven't already figured it out? I've been doing the more-real-than-real thing from the start. Ever since I dropped into Trog's on that chair. I knew my reason for it, I knew why I'm like I am, but no one else did. It was a spooooky mystery!" she recounts, wiggling her fingers in a sufficiently spooky fashion. "Mystery was fine for a while. But eventually I wanted a reason for it. Other people did, too. Why's Avatar such a weirdo? Something concrete. Something people could really chew on. Eventually I went with the whole Far Realm angle. That was fun for a while, but it wasn't my idea. It was just playing someone else's brain-babs."

Then she makes a grand, sweeping gesture of her own, filling the world around them with all-encompassing incandescent radiance. Marrow like pillars of chrome willed with searing light. Coral-like crimson fugal growths. Iridescent masses of bubbles, like eyes. An alien garden begins spreading out from her.

"So I made my own reason. The Eternal Game. Grab a little holographic universe model, toss in some Cthulhu Mythos style Oh-Tee angels, shake it up and BAM! That's why Avatar is more real than real. Then there was the Dreamheart on the opposite side of the spectrum, absolute primordial unreality. That made conflict. And conflict drives any good story. Fleshing out the fae came a little later, even roped Maph'tey into it. And the Watchers! With the Sign of Koth and the heart of the world and stuff! They're super cool and they're the latest addition. Not really new. The idea was around from the start that normal humans would be caught in the middle of the conflict, but they needed to be defined a little better, y'know?"

You know how it is, Affy. Sometimes it takes a while for a good idea to germinate.

"Don't you get it, Affy? I made a whole cosmology just to explain why I'm weird. And people loved it! They loved the Eternal Game stuff. It's cool and others have gotten involved. Some like the fae more. Some like the empyreans. And I've even gotten a few to join up with the Watchers! It's great! Why the heck would I dump all this work? Just to indulge in some Fourthwallism?" Zee asks, pulling a sour face. "Heck no, that's dumb. I'm going to keep the story rolling. If you wanna wallow in meta-nihilism then great. You do you. But I'm not particularly interested in it. I'm getting along just fine, thanks."

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

Secluded Forest

Hunter jumps a little when Kothar appears beside him, but reaches out with the ball to tag the lizardman anyway. "I've seen bears before. They're dangerous, can pull you out of the sea and on the ice, they have all the advantages. That bear looks different, though. Colour's wrong. I'd guess brown helps blend it in with all this coral." Of course the trees are coral, look at them! Big, clearly alive, can't move and they've even got small fish flitting around them and living in them.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Default Secluded Forest

Kothar laughs when tagged. It's a valid play, if a little against the spirit of the game. "Brown bears much more dangerous than black bears." Kothar doesn't know about polar bears. "But they not harmful if left alone. Many times, to do nothing is the right choice. Do not touch what you do not know is safe."

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #206
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Mirror of Hevar]

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    "What is that?" Spilaio asks, unsettled, staring at the nothing visible beyond the mountain, and the bright light coming ahead of it. It looks like the end of the world, or the edge of it. Just nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Nim scowls at Prada.
    "Jussst tell me what you want me to do." he spits.
    "That iss our problem. White'ss men. Who believe in nothing sso sstrongly that our reality failss around them. Damned inconvenient."
    "I ssuposse we had better confound them into leaving."
    "You two believe in ssomethingss, don't you?"

Prada turns to Nim.
    "If you inssisst that you are completely unssuited to fighting or plotting, you will have to be a disstraction. You are a normal fellow, from kingdomss like theirss. They will hessitate to harm you."

"SSpilaio, there are sspringss here at the inn, great gushess of heated water. You can work with them, can you not?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Default Mirror of Hevar

"I guess I do." There are some things Spilaio believes. Of course, Prada could probably alter her so she believes other things, and she wouldn't even notice. "Yes, I can work with the water. What do you want me to do?"

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

Secluded Forest

"The only bears I've heard of are white, not black or brown. They roam the sea ice of the north, pulling tritons, seals and whales from breathing holes to eat them. Beluga, mostly. Not large whales." Hunter might have seen brown bears had he visited the coast during salmon season, to feed on those heading upstream to lay eggs. But his pod mostly live in deeper water than that, and after a polar bear ate the matriarch's sister, haven't ventured that far north.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Dismal Swamp]

"The Carrion Knight is cunning," the King in Rags explains. "Not personally formidable, but cunning. They visit dangerous places where beasts and monsters dwell and are adept at using them to their advantage. They will try to lure you into ambushes and traps. Seek to turn the tables on them and gain the upper hand as quickly as possible."

[City out of Time]

The table is occupied by a map, which shows the city and its environs... but those environs seem different than before. It seems that it used to be located much higher up, at the peak of a great elevation. The city is surrounded at all sides... besieged, it seems, by fey. There's a variety of figurines representing different monsters, including dragons and stranger things. Behind them is an antlered figure. In the city is a number of figurines representing presumably dwarves and halflings. In the centre of the city there's a large, four-armed figurine standing near what seems to be a large circular building on the map. Next to it is a red flag, with other flags in other part of the city being green and yellow, placed on different junctures. As she draws closer, Electra will hear a murmur of voices from the shades around the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    [City out of Time]

Electra does her best to try and pick out the discussion, while noting the position of the entity in the city, and the entity leading the fey. Opposing gods perhaps? She's not sure whether the entity that's in the city might be able to help them, but she notes it position and compares it to the map their employers showed them when they arrived, along with the positions of places they needed to look for the information their employers want.
    [City out of Time]

"Hmmm... I do recognize that one,"
    says Cass, peering at the antlered figure. "Not sure how much that helps us, though. What do you think about the flags?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Default Secluded Forest

"I not seen white bear. Only black and brown." Kothar's homeland is much more temperate. "But many strange things in world. Come. I show you something." Kothar begins walking back the way he came.

My Nexus characters