New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Keep on the Shadowfell IC

Regan heads straight to Silvana with determination in her face. She was genuinely worried about her mentor and friend and needed to get to the bottom of his disappearance.

"Excuse me m'aam. But a few weeks to a month ago a man named Douven Stahl came here to study and explore a dragon tomb somewhere near this town. He has not been heard from since and his wife has asked me to come here and make sure he is all right and not dead. Would you know anything about what has happened to Douven Stahl?", Regan asks Silvana politely. She provides her with a general description of the man like she did to the gate guard.
    Last edited by onlie2005; 2020-07-06 at 11:05 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62

Spoiler: For those with Lord Padraig
    Show
    "You're right, giving the stolen property to you would be pointless spite."

The three of you shake hands, then Padraig gives you a map of the area around Winterhaven with a circular mark around a location southeast of the village. "I've marked the location of their lair on that map. There are at least a dozen kobolds in the den, probably more, so I'd recommend getting the assistance of the other people you were traveling with and resting in town before setting off."

Spoiler: For those in the tavern
    Show
    As Salvana replies, Eilian pulls out a piece of paper and begins scribbling on it.

"Yeah, he roomed here for a while ago. After talking with Eilian about some-" "Specifically, the old burial site to the southwest of here, which he also thought was a dragon's tomb. After I gave him directions to the place, he excitedly set off, ignoring my warnings that it was probably just a trash heap. Neither of us have seen him again." "I was getting to that." "Well I got there faster."

After giving you the piece of paper he scribbled on, Eilian continues, "And if you want to follow Douven, that map should get you there."

Spoiler: For those who succeed on a DC 6 insight check
    Show
    The two of them seem to be telling the truth.

The elf sitting on her own started trying to feign disinterest when the topic of Douven came up, but she's still listening in on your conversation.

Spoiler: For those who fail that check
    Show

The elf sitting on her own lost interest in your conversation when the topic of Douven came up, and she returned to her drink in silence.
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2020-07-07 at 02:20 PM.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

3. - Top - End - #63

"Thank you. I really appreciate it.", Regan responds politely and then says to Silvana, "May I please have some roast beef and some water? I will be with my friend over there."

And with that she heads to Serathi's table. She has noticed the elf's actions but outwardly chooses to ignore it. She has no basis to not trust her but chooses to wait and observe the elf discreetly given the somewhat furtive interest in her.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Melhved Brombriar

Spoiler: with Lord Padraig
    Show
    She thanks Lord Padraig for his time. Turning to Drang, "Did you have business with the armorer? Here is your share if it is needed." She hands Drang 15 gold pieces for her belt pouch.

She will wait while he conducts business, then ask if he would like to join her in visiting the town's church. She intends to ask there about Kalarel or any death cult rumors before joining the rest in the tavern.
    No longer active in forums.
    Thank you to all who have brought me joy in game and out.
    Praise be to Dakaran for the elf monk avatar! (at rest)

PCs
    Melhved Brombriar, Goliath Warden - Keep of the Shadowfell (retired)
    Aeren Tatallaner, Eladrin Bard - Scales of War (retired)
    DMings

5. - Top - End - #65

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGhast View Post
    Show
    "You're right, giving the stolen property to you would be pointless spite."

The three of you shake hands, then Padraig gives you a map of the area around Winterhaven with a circular mark around a location southeast of the village. "I've marked the location of their lair on that map. There are at least a dozen kobolds in the den, probably more, so I'd recommend getting the assistance of the other people you were traveling with and resting in town before setting off."

Spoiler: For those in the tavern
    Show
    As Salvana replies, Eilian pulls out a piece of paper and begins scribbling on it.

"Yeah, he roomed here for a while ago. After talking with Eilian about some-" "Specifically, the old burial site to the southwest of here, which he also thought was a dragon's tomb. After I gave him directions to the place, he excitedly set off, ignoring my warnings that it was probably just a trash heap. Neither of us have seen him again." "I was getting to that." "Well I got there faster."

After giving you the piece of paper he scribbled on, Eilian continues, "And if you want to follow Douven, that map should get you there."

Show

The elf sitting on her own started trying to feign disinterest when the topic of Douven came up, but she's still listening in on your conversation.

Spoiler: For those who fail that check
    Show

The elf sitting on her own lost interest in your conversation when the topic of Douven came up, and she returned to her drink in silence.
    To the tavern, then, Melhved? Good day, m'lord.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

(d20+1)[3] insight

7. - Top - End - #67

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Presuming nobody throws any curveballs my next post will truncate parts of Melhved's plan into a longer description to speed up the game. I just need to know whether Drang follows her as she does these parts of the plan, goes straight to the tavern, or does something else.

Show
    As Lord Padraig leaves, he replies "And a good day to you, too".

Spoiler: For those at the tavern
    Show
    "Coming right up!"

Salvana swiftly relays the order to a chef and gives Regan the water she requested.
    Link to true signature

8. - Top - End - #68

DwarfClericGuy

[QUOTE=TurboGhast;24601876]
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Presuming nobody throws any curveballs my next post will truncate parts of Melhved's plan into a longer description to speed up the game. I just need to know whether Drang follows her as she does these parts of the plan, goes straight to the tavern, or does something else.

WaffleLord and I were typing at the same time and I missed it. Yes, thank you, he will follow her and compare this church to his own, deep in the mountain. Then to the tavern.

9. - Top - End - #69

Spoiler: For those at the smithy
    Show
    With no more business in the smithy, you leave and head for the church, a large and well-designed stone temple whose wider first floor connects to short tower. Someone inside the place tells you that the priestess of the temple, Sister Lenora, is out helping someone as usual. You're able to catch up to her and ask her about Kalarel, but she hasn't heard of him. Neither has the guard in the front gate, nor anybody else in the temple.

(The adventure gives players a lot of options that don't give new information if you're using the cult hook, so WaffleLord stating their intent in advance really helped the game's flow.)

You go to the local tavern in order to ask the bartender questions, the last stop Melhved had planned. The sign outside the building refers to it as "Wrafton's Inn". Upon entry you find a tavern, so it seems the building fulfills both roles. Sarathi and Regan are already at a table, with the food and drinks they ordered. An old man in farmer's garb is sitting the table next to them, while in the back corner an elf silently drinks on, ignoring them. A young woman notices and greets you.

Show
    The elf's disinterest is feigned, she's actually listening in.

Show
    Eilian moves to the table next to yours in case you have more questions.

After a short while, your food arrives. Another short while later, Drang and Melhved enter the door. Salvana notices and greets them.

"Ah, this is the most new visitors I've had in a while! Hello, I'm Salvana Wrafton, the proprietor of this inn." Glancing between everyone, she asks "Are you all part of the same group?"
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2020-09-08 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Typo
    Link to true signature

10. - Top - End - #70

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: For those at the smithy
    Show
    With no more business in the smithy, you leave and head for the church, a large and well-designed stone temple whose wider first floor connects to short tower. Someone inside the place tells you that the priestess of the temple, Sister Lenora, is out helping someone as usual. You're able to catch up to her and ask her about Kalarel, but she hasn't heard of him. Neither has the guard in the front gate, nor anybody else in the temple.

(The adventure gives players a lot of options that don't give new information if you're using the cult hook, so WaffleLord stating their intent in advance really helped the game's flow.)

"Sorry Melhved. I'm sure we'll find your friend somehow, somewhere."

You go to the local tavern in order to ask the bartender questions, the last stop Melhved had planned. The sign outside the building refers to it as "Wrafton's Inn". Upon entry you find a tavern, so it seems the building fulfills both roles. Sarathi and Regan are already at a table, with the food and drinks they ordered. An old man in farmer's garb is sitting the table next to them, while in the back corner an elf silently drinks on, ignoring them. A young woman notices and greets you.

Show
    The elf's disinterest is feigned, she's actually listening in.

Show
    Eilian moves to the table next to yours in case you have more questions.

After a short while, your food arrives. Another short while later, Drang and Melhved enter the door. Savlana notices and greets them.

"Ah, this is the most new visitors I've had in a while! Hello, I'm Salvana Wrafton, the proprietor of this inn." Glancing between everyone, she asks "Are you all part of the same group?"
    (+8 to Insight) "Yes! Hello friends! Who's the maiden over there dropping eaves?"

Spoiler: To Melhved and DM
    Show
    There's a reply to Melhved in the middle of the spoiler. Weird...

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarathi waves the rest of the group over. "Any word on Douven Staul?"

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Melhved Brombriar

Melhved glances at the elf, looking her up and down, but is not impressed. "No new information on my task. No cults, no Kalarel. Drang did find work for us. Pays good. Speaking of..." She passes out the shares of gold from the sold items to Sarathi, Noxtol, and Regan. "Yes, how did things go with your search, Douven, you say?"

Spoiler: Spoils
    Show
    Sarathi, Noxtol, and Regan each receives 15 gold pieces from Mel.

PCs
    DMings

13. - Top - End - #73

The elf Drang's referring to glares at him for a short while, then returns to their drink.

Spoiler: For those who succeeded on the aforementioned insight check
    Show
    She didn't stop eavesdropping, though. In fact, she's listening more intently than before.
    Link to true signature

14. - Top - End - #74

"Well if you are so interested in hearing what we have to say then why don't you come over here and join us? I am sure there is enough room.", Regan yells to the rather nosy elf.

"Douven came here first to get directions to the Dragon Burial site from Elian over there before leaving to explore it. He has not been heard from since. I really care for this man and would appreciate some help in finding him and making sure he is okay."

Regan shows everyone the map Elian gave her.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Melhved Brombriar

"We, too, have gained a task. Perhaps we can take down two stirge with one sling," she says comparing what she remembers about Drang's map to this one. "I would be glad to help find your friend if you would lend us your skill dealing with ours. What say you? 'Many swords make quick slaughter,' they say."

Spoiler: Map comparision
    Show
    Any chance they are the same location? Close to each other? One on the way to the other? Opposite directions?

PCs
    DMings

16. - Top - End - #76

After Regan's comment, the elf moves to the table next to you and stops hiding her listening. She's still as silent as ever.

Comparing the two maps, you can see that the locations referred to are two distinct places. The burial site is to the southwest of Winterhaven while the kobold lair is to the southeast. They're close enough to Winterhaven and eachother that you could walk to both in one day and return before sunset. The burial site is closer, but not by much, and there's more forest between it and the road.
    Link to true signature

17. - Top - End - #77

DwarfClericGuy

After Regan's comment, the elf moves to the table next to you and stops hiding her listening. She's still as silent as ever.

Comparing the two maps, you can see that the locations referred to are two distinct places. The burial site is to the southwest of Winterhaven while the kobold lair is to the southeast. They're close enough to Winterhaven and eachother that you could walk to both in one day and return before sunset. The burial site is closer, but not by much, and there's more forest between it and the road.
    "If Douven is in trouble, we rescue him first and see if he wants to join us defeating Irontooth and winning all the treasure?" Drang looks around hopefully, then maybe realizes he shouldn't have said treasure so loudly.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Genius View Post
    "If Douven is in trouble, we rescue him first and see if he wants to join us defeating Irontooth and winning all the treasure?" Drang looks around hopefully, then maybe realizes he shouldn't have said treasure so loudly.
    "That sounds great! When do we leave?" Sarathi was already halfway through her roast.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Melhved Brombriar

"Despite what common sayings tell us, we'll have to 'wake the sleeping dragon'. Noxtol's upstairs for a rest. Do we have enough sunlight left?" She turns to the listening elf. "And what is your part in this? Nosy? Seeking adventure? Know something of Douvan or Kalarel? Speak or walk on." She stares in the elf's eyes, measuring her, and waiting to see if her answer warrants encouragement in one direction or another.

PCs
    DMings

20. - Top - End - #80

It's slightly after noon now, so you could set out and return by the end of the day. If something took a couple of hours more than expected, you'd be returning by night, though.

The elf breaks eye contact with Melhved before responding. "I suppose I must speak if you're going to call me out directly. To introduce myself, I'm Ninaran, a local huntress who enjoys listening to interesting conversations, like yours. That's all. Although, I think you should set out by morning tomorrow just to be certain you're rested enough to take the kobolds on."

Spoiler: For those who succeed on a DC 8 insight check
    Show
    Ninaran let a flash of worry reach her face when Melhved said "Kalarel". She's lying about not knowing that name, which means her suggestion may have an ulterior motive.
    Link to true signature

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Melhved Brombriar

"That might be the right move. Depending how long it takes to find your friend,"
    she says towards Regan, "we may not get to the kobolds by nightfall tonight. Today your friend, tomorrow the kobold threat? Thank you, huntress. Anything else you can tell us?"

PCs
    DMings

22. - Top - End - #82

Ninaran begins slowly sliding out of her seat as she replies, "No."
    Link to true signature

23. - Top - End - #83

Regan nods to Ninaren thanking the huntress for her help. Although she makes a mental note to not trust the elf. She also decides that maybe a little more caution on the road might be in order. Something did not feel right about Ninaren.

"We should eat quickly and so we can get a lot of sleep for tomorrow we leave early."

And with that Regan will finish eating, pay for room and board and head to bed early.

24. - Top - End - #84

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by onlie2005 View Post
    Regan nods to Ninaren thanking the huntress for her help. Although she makes a mental note to not trust the elf. She also decides that maybe a little more caution on the road might be in order. Something did not feel right about Ninaren.

"We should eat quickly and so we can get a lot of sleep for tomorrow we leave early."

And with that Regan will finish eating, pay for room and board and head to bed early.
    "But...but...it's just past noon. You're going to sleep for 17 hours?"

25. - Top - End - #85

"Sleep isn't the only form of rest. A calm afternoon could be just what you need to be ready for a chaotic morning."

(The "couple of hours" I referred to earlier was quite literal. Walking to either the burial site or the kobold den from Winterhaven would take around two hours, and walking between them would take one. Since you have seven hours of daylight left, a round trip journey to both which starts now has two hours before sundown to spare.)
    Link to true signature

26. - Top - End - #86

DwarfClericGuy

It's slightly after noon now, so you could set out and return by the end of the day. If something took a couple of hours more than expected, you'd be returning by night, though.

The elf breaks eye contact with Melhved before responding. "I suppose I must speak if you're going to call me out directly. To introduce myself, I'm Ninaran, a local huntress who enjoys listening to interesting conversations, like yours. That's all. Although, I think you should set out by morning tomorrow just to be certain you're rested enough to take the kobolds on."

Spoiler: For those who succeed on a DC 8 insight check
    Show
    Ninaran let a flash of worry reach her face when Melhved said "Kalarel". She's lying about not knowing that name, which means her suggestion may have an ulterior motive.
    "Ninaran, could we speak in private for a moment? I promise not to take too much of your time."

Spoiler: Diplo
    Show
    (1d20+7)[25]

If she agrees, lead her back to her original table and speaking softly, "You have a twitch. It says that you know something about Kalarel. This is very important to my friend and could be very profitable for you. Please tell me what it is."

27. - Top - End - #87

Regan is slightly embarrassed and nods in agreement. She was so focused that she forgot the time. But then she realized how tired she was. And the party was still recovering from the last battle with the kobold ambush party.

"I think though we should stay for the night. Get a good night's sleep. Remember we just survived a kobold ambush skirmish. I am willing to go with what the party wants but I think caution and better planning is a more prudent course of action. I am worried about Douven but he has been missing for weeks and one more night might not make a difference."

28. - Top - End - #88

Ninaran obliges Drang's request to speak in private.

Upon hearing the question, she becomes visibly nervous. Still, she replies, "He's in league with the kobolds that have been menacing the area around here. That's all I know."

Ignoring any attempts to ask further questions, she tells everyone "I just remembered that I have something to do. See you later...", and leaves.
    Link to true signature

29. - Top - End - #89

DwarfClericGuy

Upon hearing the question, she becomes visibly nervous. Still, she replies, "He's in league with the kobolds that have been menacing the area around here. That's all I know."
    Drang shares that info with the party, hopefully in hushed tones before Regan leaves.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Melhved Brombriar

The warden's eyes go wide. "WHAT!?" she roars, before remembering where she is while looking to see that the elf had left. "She said nothing about him to me!" In her mind, she weighs what she thought of the elf against her experience with the dragonborn. "She is an unmeasured quality. He has carried himself with honor of a fine measure." She grudgingly admits she trusts his word more than her opinion of the elf. "Thank you for getting this information. It helps my task greatly," she says with a slight bow to Drang.

She is even more eager to get going than before.

PCs
    DMings