New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Keep on the Shadowfell IC

Melhved Brombriar

Her ears perk up at a strange named intruder causing trouble.

"Pardon, friend, could you ask the little one if he has heard the name 'Kalarel'?" She watches the dragonling closely for any reaction to the name.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception if you want it - (1d20+7)[27]
    Woo-hoo! I see ALL the reactions!
    Last edited by WaffleLord; 2020-06-29 at 07:21 PM.
    No longer active in forums.
    Thank you to all who have brought me joy in game and out.
    Praise be to Dakaran for the elf monk avatar! (at rest)

PCs
    Melhved Brombriar, Goliath Warden - Keep of the Shadowfell (retired)
    Aeren Tatallaner, Eladrin Bard - Scales of War (retired)
    DMings

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Regan lets the others question the kobold while she starts looting the bodies of the other kobolds and stacking the loot on the side of the road for anyone to see including any coins. She makes sure that a full inventory is mentioned to the party. Regan also ties up the unconscious kobold tightly and makes sure she listens to what is being said during the occupation.

3. - Top - End - #33

DwarfClericGuy

Drang just stares, probably slackjawed, back and forth as the conversation goes on. He's never interrogated a prisoner or looted a body before.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

Noxtol - Dragonborn Ranger

Noxtol looks over to Melhved. He wasn't sure why she seemed to reason that this kobold would know, or what her question had to do with this attack, but he shrugged it off, assuming it part of whatever agenda the goliath was pursuing. He turned his attention back to their captive as he said, <"My large friend here seems to be looking for someone and is curious if you might have an answer? Among your other visitor, has the name 'Kalarel' floated about in your den?">

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by WaffleLord View Post
    Melhved Brombriar

Her ears perk up at a strange named intruder causing trouble.

"Pardon, friend, could you ask the little one if he has heard the name 'Kalarel'?" She watches the dragonling closely for any reaction to the name.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception if you want it - [roll0]
    Woo-hoo! I see ALL the reactions!
    The kobold doesn't react to the name in either your original statement or Noxtol's translation of it. He doesn't seem to be suppressing a reaction, either.

"<Not that I can remember. I'm outside Irontooth's inner circle, though.>"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

The dark orange <>s and blended text color indicate that Noxtol's translating the kobold's words for the rest of the party.

This is playing the "I'll translate" a little looser than I had in mind when I wrote the last post, as Noxtol never explicitly offered to translate the words of the other party members to the kobold. Thinking about it now, requiring an explicit statement of willingness to translate in both directions instead of just one seems rigid, and situations where you'd want to only translate one way don't seem common enough to justify that rigidity. If you'd prefer requiring explicit statements about each direction before your character autotranslates for other party members, say so.

EDIT: Well, these were my thoughts before InAction ninja'd me. Still, abstracting away translation will automatically be assumed to go both directions unless you specify that you only want it to go one way. Should probably start checking for ninja posts outside out of combat.

Quote Originally Posted by onlie2005 View Post
    Regan lets the others question the kobold while she starts looting the bodies of the other kobolds and stacking the loot on the side of the road for anyone to see including any coins. She makes sure that a full inventory is mentioned to the party. Regan also ties up the unconscious kobold tightly and makes sure she listens to what is being said during the occupation.
    Once she's done, the stack of loot consists of 34 sp, one suit of leather armor, a sling, 20 normal sling bullets, 2 firepot sling bullets, 5 suits of hide armor, 5 spears, and 15 javelins.
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2020-06-30 at 04:49 PM. Reason: I got ninja'd
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Melhved Brombriar

Showing little disappointment at the long shot question's answer, she shrugs and, while cleaning her blade, wanders over to the loot the human has spread out. Seeing nothing of interest, she bends down a takes a 6 piece stack of silver between her finger and thumb. She stands, sheathes her sword, and holds up the coins with a questioning look. (If) Seeing no objections, she places them in her belt pouch, cinches her pack, and is ready to travel on.

PCs
    DMings

7. - Top - End - #37

As long as there are no objections she also takes 6 sp and two javelins. Never hurts to have extra ammunition. She also recollects the arrows she fired.

"I say we either let these kobolds go, kill them or being them into town for the Winterhaven authorities to deal with. I am sure they would be interested in this Irontooth fellow. We should have a treasurer for any extra coins or other treasure we cannot share equally."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

"We done then?" Sarathi hung her weapon at her belt and picked her shield up. "What are we waiting for?"

9. - Top - End - #39

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGhast View Post
    Once she's done, the stack of loot consists of 34 sp, one suit of leather armor, a sling, 20 normal sling bullets, 2 firepot sling bullets, 5 suits of hide armor, 5 spears, and 15 javelins.
    Drang takes 5sp, the sling, bullets, and firepot sling bullets. "These look fun."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Once it looks like people are moving again, Sarathi collects her 6 silver.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

Noxtol - Dragonborn Ranger

"The kobold humbly requests that we finish them off now as they will likely suffer the same fate when they return to their den," Noxtol states to the rest of the party. With his longsword still in hand, he places the edge about their captive's throat. "If they are no objections, I can carry out executions if need be."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Melhved Brombriar

Nodding to Reagan, Melhved packs up as much of the armor and weapons as possible. She hands 7 sp. to Noxtol and, looking at the 4 sp in her hands, looks back at the rest of the party, then passes another coin to each.

She sighs at hearing Noxtol's comments. "Cowards," she thinks. "To surrender such a gift for no purpose but fear."

"Honor their request."

Spoiler: OC
    Show
    If they decide to set the kobolds free, she will give them the remaining 5sp. to make a better life. Otherwise she will keep the 5 sp to give to whichever city/village gets stuck with the kobolds.

Good thing I checked before posting.
    Last edited by WaffleLord; 2020-07-02 at 01:49 PM.

PCs
    DMings

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

"Honor their request."[/COLOR]
    (this feels like a good "fade to black" moment, complete with ominus music. Next scene?)

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    (this feels like a good "fade to black" moment, complete with ominus music. Next scene?)
    (I wanted to give people an opportunity to object if they desired. It appears nobody wants to, so we'll move on to the next scene.)

The rest of your trip along King's Road is relatively uneventful. When you reach the foot of the hill the walled village stands on, the five of you are surrounded by small farms, past which you can see mountains to the north and deep woods to the west and south.

When you scale the hill, you find the village's open gate guarded by two humans. One notices and greets you.

"Oh, new travellers! Welcome to Winterhaven! I presume you're here to trade?"
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2020-07-03 at 01:23 PM.
    Link to true signature

15. - Top - End - #45

DwarfClericGuy

When you scale the hill, you find the village's open gate guarded by two humans. One notices and greets you.

"Oh, new travellers! Welcome to Winterhaven! I presume you're here to trade?"
    Yes we are! Is there an armorer in town?

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+7)[19]

16. - Top - End - #46

"We have a smithy who can make armor if you're looking to buy. If you're looking to sell, then talk to Lord Padraig."

He glances towards the road you came from as he continues, "Recent events have put him in the market for the tools of battle."
    Link to true signature

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Melhved Brombriar

"I'll head to Lord Padraig and deal with this," she says, nodding towards her pack of kobold armor, "then swing by the church to... uh... donate the rest. Meet in the tavern to settle up?" She glances around to see if there are other concerns or anyone joining her.

Spoiler: Plans
    Show
    Melhved plans to sell of the extra armor and weapons, question him about "Kalarel", then visit the town church to not only donate what was unsellable, but to ask the church what information they have about "Kalarel". She will also question the guards who man the gate and the bartender in the tavern. We can role play it or truncate as needed to keep things moving.
    Last edited by WaffleLord; 2020-07-04 at 03:14 PM.

PCs
    DMings

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'll hit the tavern, see if they've got some good meat stock. a good fight gets my appetite up."

19. - Top - End - #49

Pointing to a wide building behind him, the guard replies "The tavern's just ahead. Although, Padraig frequents the tavern, I think he's at the smithy just behind it at the moment."

Spoiler: For those who go to see Lord Padraig
    Show

You enter the smithy just as Padraig finishes talking to the dwarf manning it. His face lights up a little upon seeing new visitors.

"Ah, some new faces. It's been too long since I've seen those. Did you have any trouble on the road here?"

Spoiler: For those who go to the tavern
    Show

The building is question has a sign above its door referring to it as "Wrafton's Inn". Still, upon entry you find a tavern, so it seems the building fulfills both roles.

As you enter, two humans, one young and one old, begin competing for your attention with various greetings. "Hello, I'm Salvana Wrafton, the proprietor of this inn." "I'm Eilian the Old, a local farmer-scholar." "Would you like something to drink?" "Or something to learn about Winterhaven?"

It seems to be a slow day, since the only person not trying to start a conversation with you is an elf in hunting gear quietly drinking in the back corner of the room.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I think Melhved's conversation with Padraig is worth playing out in full. The conversation with the guard will probably end up truncated into a description. Whether your planned conversations with the church and the bartender also get truncated will depend on the pace of the other group.

Since the party's split, be sure to put a spoiler around your actions whose title indicates which group you're with.
    Link to true signature

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarathi orders a roast, and a few tankards, before asking what everyone else would like.

21. - Top - End - #51

"I have come here for a very personal reason. My mentor and friend Douven Stahl came here to explore some dragon tomb somewhere near this town and has not been heard from since. I was wondering if he might have come to this town first before going there? Would you know anything about that?", Regan tells the guard giving him a general description of her friend.

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by onlie2005 View Post
    "I have come here for a very personal reason. My mentor and friend Douven Stahl came here to explore some dragon tomb somewhere near this town and has not been heard from since. I was wondering if he might have come to this town first before going there? Would you know anything about that?", Regan tells the guard giving him a general description of her friend.
    "I think I saw someone like that enter and leave town three months ago. Go to the tavern and ask Salvana, she has a better memory for this sort of thing than I do."

Spoiler: If you do so
    Show

You manage to catch up to Sarathi as the people within the tavern greet him. (Read the "For those who go to the tavern" spoiler tag above.)
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2020-07-05 at 11:56 AM. Reason: change "inn" to "tavern" for clarity
    Link to true signature

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Melhved Brombriar

Spoiler: with Lord Padraig
    Show
    Mel unshoulders her pack. "No trouble, but a pack of kobolds picked a fight they should not have." She unpacks the armor and weapons and spreads them on an available table. "They were not overly organized but claimed to be working for an entity called 'Irontooth'. We claim bounty on the spoils here. What is your offer? I would also like anything you can tell me about this 'Irontooth' or anything about a fellow named 'Kalarel'." She speaks rather woodenly and quickly, as though she had practiced what to say and wanted to get it all out.

PCs
    DMings

24. - Top - End - #54

DwarfClericGuy

Melhved Brombriar

"I'll head to Lord Padraig and deal with this," she says, nodding towards her pack of kobold armor, "then swing by the church to... uh... donate the rest. Meet in the tavern to settle up?" She glances around to see if there are other concerns or anyone joining her.
    Drang goes with her to see Lord Padraig and proceeds to tell him about the kobold ambush, emphasizing the power and bravery of the party.

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+7)[8]

25. - Top - End - #55

Spoiler: For those with Lord Padraig
    Show
    After looking over the equipment, Padraig replies, "First thing's first. I'll pay 75 gp for all the equipment on the table. It's in good condition for equipment won in battle."

Spoiler: Price calcuations, given to allow for doublechecking
    Show

((1 suit of leather armor * 25 gp price) + (5 suits of hide armor * 30 gp price) + (2 suits of scale armor from the shield wielding kobolds * 45 gp price) + (2 heavy shields * 10 gp price) + (5 spears * 5 gp price) + (13 javelins * 5 gp price) + (2 shortswords * 10 gp price)) * 1/5 sell multiplier
    (25 + 150 + 70 + 20 + 25 + 65 + 20) * 1/5
    5 + 30 + 14 + 4 + 5 + 13 + 4
    35 + 18 + 18 + 4

"I'm not surprised that you ended up in a fight with a group of kobolds, because they've been picking fights with anybody walking along King's Road in the last few months. Something must be riling them up, and I suspect that something is the 'Irontooth' you're referring to. My attempts to the rally my villagers to deal with this problem have failed, because they don't recognize the seriousness of it."

His head leans towards Drang as he says, "If you can back up all your bark with bite by solving the problem, I'd reward you." After a short pause, he adds, "Though, it'd be a simple monetary reward, since I haven't heard of anybody named Kalarel."

Spoiler: For those at the tavern
    Show
    Salvana turns towards a back room and relays Sarathi's order while eagerly waiting everyone else's. She doesn't seem concerned that your party's order will get mixed up with someone else's in the slightest.

As she does so, Eilian continues to his attempts to start a conversation. The elf in the corner rolls her eyes, but keeps watching you.
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2020-07-05 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Reworded the last sentence of the "in tavern" section for clarity
    Link to true signature

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Melhved Brombriar

Show
    "Many thanks for your time, Lord Padraig." She puts the gold in her belt pouch, trying not to show her disappointment at the lack of information for her quest. Hearing of a continuing kobold problem, her attention is enlivened. She waits to hear if Drang follows up his boast. "He has the skills he speaks of, but will he volunteer them for the sake of others?" she wonders.

PCs
    DMings

27. - Top - End - #57

DwarfClericGuy

Melhved Brombriar

Show
    [B]""He has the skills he speaks of, but will he volunteer them for the sake of others?"[/I] she wonders.
    "I shouldn't reply too hastily or seem too eager," thinks Drang

Spoiler: At the Armory
    Show
    "How much reward can I promise these heroes to undertake your noble quest? For they are great undertakers..."
    (1d20+7)[19] Diplo again

Wise and charismatic, but used the wrong word.

28. - Top - End - #58

Show
    "100 gp, plus anything you find inside the den. I'll even allow you to keep anything the kobolds stole from my villagers."

He opens his right hand in front of you, ready to accept a handshake. "Do we have a deal?"

Link to true signature

29. - Top - End - #59

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    "100 gp, plus anything you find inside the den. I'll even allow you to keep anything the kobolds stole from my villagers."

He opens his right hand in front of you, ready to accept a handshake. "Do we have a deal?"

Spoiler: Negotiations with Lord Padraig
    Show
    "Keep the property of the villagers? Nay, that would be wrong. Ask them to make a list of heirlooms and I will see to returning them. Every silver coin taken would be hard, but I will do my best to return what I can. Irontooth will pay dearly for his crimes!"

"Agreed?"
    He will shake on it, if so.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Melhved Brombriar

Show
    Mel gives a slight grin. "Quality. Excellent." "You can count on my blade as well." She takes Lord Padraig's hand as well, if offered. "Anything more you can tell us about them?"

PCs
    DMings