New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Homeworld (Original) Base ship color to black?

I'm playing through Homeworld (the original game, not the beautiful-but-badly-converted Remastered version), and I'd love to be able to have black ships with red striping. Anyone remember how to set your ships' base color to black? I've seen it done, but never actually tried it myself, and Google is failing me.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Homeworld (Original) Base ship color to black?

I think there's a good reason it doesn't allow you to make a black base color, design-wise.

However, if you're keen to ignore that reason, just open up the Homeworld.cfg file (it's right next to the exe). There'll be two lines in there that set the player colors.

Change PlayerBaseColor to -16777216 . That'll be the black. Then just open the game and set the secondary color where you want it, making sure not to touch the primary so as not to reset it within limits.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    I think there's a good reason it doesn't allow you to make a black base color, design-wise.

However, if you're keen to ignore that reason, just open up the Homeworld.cfg file (it's right next to the exe). There'll be two lines in there that set the player colors.

Change PlayerBaseColor to -16777216 . That'll be the black. Then just open the game and set the secondary color where you want it, making sure not to touch the primary so as not to reset it within limits.
    Thanks! I really appreciate this!

There are enough non-black backgrounds in the game that I don't think it'll have a significant effect on gameplay. Plus, I'm only playing single player, so no one can accuse me of cheating.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2020-07-21 at 08:26 AM.
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Isn't there a black ship that shows up in one of the later missions? And yeah, the game's background is generally light enough that black ships (even black/black) will still show up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes. In mission 12 you meet some forces from the Elite Guard of the enemy Empire. Those ships are black. Aside from the color difference, I don't think they're any different from the regular ships though.

In mission 14, the Ion Cannon frigates are also black, presumably also members of the Elite Guard. If you capture some of them, they turn orange in the next mission, but are back to black in mission 16.

In mission 16, the enemy mothership and some heavy cruisers are also black.

Huh. I just occurred to me to check to see if the fighters that come in with the Elite Guard in mission 12 are black, and if so, if they leave visible ion trails. I don't remember seeing the black ion trails, so I suspect they are the standard red and yellow (Taidan) or gray and white (Kushan).