Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 63
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    California, United States
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    MASSIVE EDIT: oh wow, I totally misread the forum title. I thought this was the foods you hate thread.

    Sandwiches. I'm a simple man with simple tastes. An Italian sub goes a long way towards making me happy.
    Last edited by Hagashager; 2020-07-29 at 03:01 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere over th rainbow

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Breaddddd. Bread is good.
    We're all just humans who like other humans... or we don't...
    What am I?
    I am me, and will continue to be me, as hard as I can.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2020

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Sukiyaki should get a vote.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Carrots, blueberries, bagels, broccoli, potatoes, plums, dark chocolate, brown rice, milk, ice cream, and fruit smoothies.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    genderlich's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Anything pickled/fermented and sour. Pickles, pickled onions, capers, olives, kimchi, anchovies, certain cheeses, cultured butter, SOURDOUGH... when I die, don't bury me in the ground, stick me in the brine.
    Last edited by genderlich; 2020-08-09 at 11:20 AM.
    Previous avatar by Sgt. Pepper.

    Previous avatar by Akrim.elf.

    Current avatar by Cdr.Fallout

    Old Desert Sayings, my RPG blog (mostly Pathfinder homebrew).

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Responding to stress with rudeness is not the same as responding to stress with genocide.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Wildstag's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Alamogordo
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    I am inclined to say Hatch chile. Red, green, it doesn't matter. I like many other New Mexicans, will gladly put that pepper on anything and everything.

    And I could eat some red enchiladas every day and never grow tired of it. The red sauce from the Hatch chile is just too delicious.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Aug 2020

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    I'll eat just about anything that anyone else eats with few exceptions but if we're talking about truly love... Rare steak and a nice warm dinner roll with melted butter inside.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2018

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Savory foods with a mix of spices and meats - Jambalaya are amazing

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    The lack of barbecue in this thread is disturbing.

    Smoked meats. Pork is preferable, but if it is meat and has been in a smoker for 4-12 hours, chances are I am going to enjoy it. St Louis Ribs, Babybacks, pulled pork, sliced pork, brisket, whole chicken, wings. When you get it just right and it just melts in your mouth as you bite in. Nothing beats it.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?


  10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Irvine

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Treacle tart is mine
    I am a fan of Harry Potter and my house is Hufflepuff.
    Do you know yours? You can find your house by What Hogwarts house are you in quiz

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Asmotherion's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Beef and Cheese. Especially served together.

    Please help/contribute in creating the: Complete list of Magically Created Constructs, Elementals etc

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Nov 2020

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    you probably dont consider cake as a food ! but i seriously have not come across a cake i did not like ! at least yet
    meow

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    The lack of barbecue in this thread is disturbing.

    Smoked meats. Pork is preferable, but if it is meat and has been in a smoker for 4-12 hours, chances are I am going to enjoy it. St Louis Ribs, Babybacks, pulled pork, sliced pork, brisket, whole chicken, wings. When you get it just right and it just melts in your mouth as you bite in. Nothing beats it.
    Barbecue isn't a food. It's a cooking method. Would be weird if people said their favorite food was frying.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Barbecue isn't a food. It's a cooking method.
    A cooking method and (at least in this part of the country) a sauce. Barbecue is on my list, below.

    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Would be weird if people said their favorite food was frying.
    Yes. Yes, it would. But barbecue is a common "favorite food" around here. No comparison.

    Here's my partial list:

    Swedish meatballs
    Barbecued beef (also pork)
    Texas chili (no beans)
    Gyro meat (lamb or beef)
    My family’s traditional Christmas cookies – nut rolls, sand tarts, rumballs
    Lasagna
    Lutfisk (yes, I'm serious. I wish I could get it these days)
    Pumpkin pie, blueberry pie, pecan pie1
    Pancakes with maple syrup. Yes, maple. Has to be maple. [I was born in Vermont.]
    Peanut butter


    1If I were placed in the middle of a triangle, equidistant from a pumpkin pie, a blueberry pie, and a pecan pie, I would thank my lucky stars that I was trained in mathematical optimization instead of philosophy, and I'd go pick up all three.]

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2020

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Scalloped potatoes, home-made of course. Grilled cheese sandwich, with real cheese not processed slices. My Dad's home-made beef burgers, not fast food rat burgers, those are gross, some pub burgers are okay but still not as good as my pops, he makes a good burger. Homestyle french fries, not frozen crap, some pubs and a few restaurants do them right, but they can be hard to find. Most pasta dishes with a tomato based sauce, as long as they have no meat, or use only ground beef. I'm also a huge fan of chocolate, as long as it's just chocolate.
    Last edited by zarionofarabel; 2020-11-15 at 01:13 AM.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    A cooking method and (at least in this part of the country) a sauce. Barbecue is on my list, below.
    It doesn't matter if it's a sauce, it's a sauce called that because it's used in the cooking method and is as diverse as the cooking method is. Barbecue sauce isn't like ketchup, it arose to help people cook barbecue more quickly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Yes. Yes, it would. But barbecue is a common "favorite food" around here. No comparison.
    And fried food is a common "favorite food" for people in Scotland. They have Chip Shops. People say their favorite food is "curry" as well but curries are likewise a cooking method with a big umbrella. So yeah, there is comparison. People just use "BBQ" as a short hand to mean their regional cooking methods. It doesn't change the fact that barbecue isn't a food, it's a cooking method with a lot of deviations.

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Neapolitan pizza and buffalo mozzarella. And pasta, with ragų, genovese, boscaiola sauce, even with simple tomato sauce or with oil, garlic, chili pepper and parmesan. And let's add in some good cheese, some gorgonzola, some delicious parmesan, sheep and goat cheeses but even just the humble grana padano.
    Last edited by Cicciograna; 2020-11-15 at 09:54 AM.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    It doesn't matter if it's a sauce, it's a sauce called that because it's used in the cooking method and is as diverse as the cooking method is. Barbecue sauce isn't like ketchup, it arose to help people cook barbecue more quickly.



    And fried food is a common "favorite food" for people in Scotland. They have Chip Shops. People say their favorite food is "curry" as well but curries are likewise a cooking method with a big umbrella. So yeah, there is comparison. People just use "BBQ" as a short hand to mean their regional cooking methods. It doesn't change the fact that barbecue isn't a food, it's a cooking method with a lot of deviations.
    Life would be so much simpler if language acted like that.

    But you could do what you're trying to do with almost any of the responses here. The original poster said, "eggs" -- but that could include quail eggs or caviar; it's not a single food.

    I said, "Swedish meatballs" and did not specify my grandmother's recipe. I also said, "peanut butter", without going into which varieties I don't like.

    Everything you said about the derivation of the term "barbecue" is true, and if word derivations were the only meaningful facts in language usage, then your conclusion would be correct. Nonetheless, there are many people here in Texas who would say that their favorite food is barbecue. Like most English words, "barbecue" has more than one meaning, and is used in more than one way.

    If the original meaning of a word were its only possibly meaning, then a buccaneer would still mean a person who makes barbecue, rather than a pirate.

    Etymology is not definition, or "digital computing" would mean counting on your fingers.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham. AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Barbecue isn't a food. It's a cooking method.
    In the South, you flip that around.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-11-15 at 11:10 AM.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Life would be so much simpler if language acted like that.

    But you could do what you're trying to do with almost any of the responses here. The original poster said, "eggs" -- but that could include quail eggs or caviar; it's not a single food.

    I said, "Swedish meatballs" and did not specify my grandmother's recipe. I also said, "peanut butter", without going into which varieties I don't like.

    Everything you said about the derivation of the term "barbecue" is true, and if word derivations were the only meaningful facts in language usage, then your conclusion would be correct. Nonetheless, there are many people here in Texas who would say that their favorite food is barbecue. Like most English words, "barbecue" has more than one meaning, and is used in more than one way.

    If the original meaning of a word were its only possibly meaning, then a buccaneer would still mean a person who makes barbecue, rather than a pirate.

    Etymology is not definition, or "digital computing" would mean counting on your fingers.
    Yeah. I'm not even arguing etymology. I'm using common parlance because I am not a perscriptivist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    In the South, you flip that around.
    Depends on which part of the South. Alabama's got White Sauce so we don't need to worry about what they think about BBQ.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham. AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Depends on which part of the South. Alabama's got White Sauce so we don't need to worry about what they think about BBQ.
    All I'm saying is all the places famous for barbecue (eg Texas, Memphis, etc) are in the South. Ain't nobody bragging on New Hampshire- or Michigan-style barbecue.

    Also white sauce does exist here but generally is more of a Carolinas thing, in my experience.

    Oh, and if someone asks if I want barbecue and they bring me a grilled burger, they're going to get followup questions any time they talk about food forever after. Assuming I ever accept their food again to begin with.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-11-15 at 04:32 PM.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    All I'm saying is all the places famous for barbecue (eg Texas, Memphis, etc) are in the South. Ain't nobody bragging on New Hampshire- or Michigan-style barbecue.
    Kansas City is in Missouri, and Missouri isn't the in the South nor is it "The South" so that's one place that's famous for BBQ just in the continental US that's not Southern. Same with St. Louis, they have a pretty famous BBQ style and that's also Missouri. Kansas City style BBQ is famous enough to be counted as one of the "Top Four" regional BBQs even.

    Hawaiian BBQ is also pretty well known, especially in California and even here in Arizona. There's a Hawaiian BBQ place not too far from my apartment, also not Southern. The South sure likes to brag about how their BBQ styles are the best but the rest of the States are repping.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Also white sauce does exist here but generally is more of a Carolinas thing, in my experience.
    White Sauce is, as far as I've ever known, a distinctly Alabama thing. It certainly began there. Big Bob Gibson's is where it originated. The Carolina's are either a vinegar and pepper based sauce or a vinegar and tomato sauce. Depending. Then you've got Carolina Gold, which is a mustard based sauce.
    Last edited by Razade; 2020-11-15 at 06:22 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham. AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Kansas City is in Missouri, and Missouri isn't the in the South nor is it "The South" so that's one place that's famous for BBQ just in the continental US that's not Southern. Same with St. Louis, they have a pretty famous BBQ style and that's also Missouri. Kansas City style BBQ is famous enough to be counted as one of the "Top Four" regional BBQs even.

    Hawaiian BBQ is also pretty well known, especially in California and even here in Arizona. There's a Hawaiian BBQ place not too far from my apartment, also not Southern. The South sure likes to brag about how their BBQ styles are the best but the rest of the States are repping.
    I'll be sure to cry into my Dreamland.*

    Also, I'll totally give credit to Missouri. I'm sure Cali, Hawaii, and a few others probably take a good stab at it too. I'm not saying nobody else does it, ever. I'm just saying the South is pretty famous for consistently saturating the best barbecue lists. It's like pizza in NYC, or cheesecake in NYC, or pastrami in NYC (I may have really loved my trip to NYC several years back). Yes, many other places can do those and do them well, but there's still a damn good reason that area is famous for 'em. Same for barbecue in the South.

    *Jim n' Nicks also does a damned fine job, and apparently they've gone as far out as Colorado, but even they can't quite reach Dreamland. There's a hell of a good reason those two have exploded, let me tell ya. I hope Dreamland decides to go farther out of state.

    Also, looking into it, you seem to be totally right about the white sauce. But that's from north Alabama, or as I like to call it (along with everywhere else in the state that isn't Birmingham), "far outside of civilization". Yeah, that's right Huntsville, I went there.

    Oh, and one final thing on what led us to this whole tangent to start with:
    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Barbecue isn't a food. It's a cooking method. Would be weird if people said their favorite food was frying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    A barbecue can refer to the cooking method itself, the meat cooked this way, or to a type of social event featuring this type of cooking.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-11-15 at 08:30 PM.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I'll be sure to cry into my Dreamland.*

    Also, I'll totally give credit to Missouri. I'm sure Cali, Hawaii, and a few others probably take a good stab at it too. I'm not saying nobody else does it, ever. I'm just saying the South is pretty famous for consistently saturating the best barbecue lists. It's like pizza in NYC, or cheesecake in NYC, or pastrami in NYC (I may have really loved my trip to NYC several years back). Yes, many other places can do those and do them well, but there's still a damn good reason that area is famous for 'em. Same for barbecue in the South.
    The South certainly reps solid BBQ, we could get into why that is...but not on this forum. The history of BBQ in the South doesn't change the fact however that Kansas City BBQ is the most copied and recognized BBQ outside of the South. The thick tomato based sauce is a hallmark of Kansas City. And for a real loop here. The most popular BBQ sauce in the country isn't Southern either. Sweet Baby Ray's is the top sold sauce and the recipe came from Chicago. Which we can all agree is also not the South.

    The South, much like New York, likes to lean on how great their stuff is but when push comes to shove other places do their styles better than they do. You want a real, true, pastrami sandwich? You go to Cleveland. You want a real New York style Cheesecake? You go to Los Angeles. You want perfect New York style pizza? You go to San Fransisco. You want the best BBQ? You actually do go to the Midwest. Not only because of Kansas City which is the melting pot of all the regional styles but also because places like Ohio and Michigan and Wisconsin are where you're going to find a lot of love and care raising meat and a lot of care and love and the trading culture of the old Great Lakes to get all the supplies you need and hungry workers to feed at the smoke pit. The Midwest is the crucible for regional cooking.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Also, looking into it, you seem to be totally right about the white sauce. But that's from north Alabama, or as I like to call it (along with everywhere else in the state that isn't Birmingham), "far outside of civilization". Yeah, that's right Huntsville, I went there.
    I know my stuff about BBQ and regional cooking. I study foodways. I've yet to see any culinary civilization come out of 'Bama. North, South, East or West.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Oh, and one final thing on what led us to this whole tangent to start with:
    I've already acknowledged that people use it in other ways and made parallels to other cooking methods used in similar colloquial ways.
    Last edited by Razade; 2020-11-15 at 09:10 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham. AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    The South certainly reps solid BBQ, we could get into why that is...but not on this forum.
    Thats sadly true of no small number of foods down here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    The history of BBQ in the South doesn't change the fact however that Kansas City BBQ is the most copied and recognized BBQ outside of the South. The thick tomato based sauce is a hallmark of Kansas City. And for a real loop here. The most popular BBQ sauce in the country isn't Southern either. Sweet Baby Ray's is the top sold sauce and the recipe came from Chicago. Which we can all agree is also not the South.

    The South, much like New York, likes to lean on how great their stuff is but when push comes to shove other places do their styles better than they do. You want a real, true, pastrami sandwich? You go to Cleveland. You want a real New York style Cheesecake? You go to Los Angeles. You want perfect New York style pizza? You go to San Fransisco. You want the best BBQ? You actually do go to the Midwest.
    That loses a lot of its punch when you yourself start out by recognizing "outside of the South". Memphis is pretty widely regarded nationally as the barbecue capital.

    And that's ignoring all the fake Scotsmen you tossed out there. Again I wasn't being elites about it, I was just noting how barbecue is integrated into and associated with Southern cuisine and the South in general.

    If you'd like another analogy, nobody disputes that Argentinian lobster or California spiny lobsters exist, or their flavor in comparison, but Maine lobster remains the headliner on the menus.

    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    I know my stuff about BBQ and regional cooking. I study foodways. I've yet to see any culinary civilization come out of 'Bama. North, South, East or West.
    Well there's your problem, you're ignoring the only civilized part: central Alabama!
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Thats sadly true of no small number of foods down here.
    Read: Everywhere. Culture is messy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That loses a lot of its punch when you yourself start out by recognizing "outside of the South". Memphis is pretty widely regarded nationally as the barbecue capital.
    Except the South is only one small region compared to the rest of the world. It's a larger sample size. Saying "the paunch burger from Sam's Grill in Cincinnati is the best burger in the world" while sitting in Sam's Grill doesn't tell you much. If you're in a bar in Osaka and someone says "Hey, have you ever had the paunch burger from Sam's Grill in Cincinnati? Best burger in the world." that gives more weight to it. If you're sitting in Memphis and you're eating at a BBQ place in Memphis then of course they're going to say they're the BBQ capital. So does Austin, so does Salem, so does Kansas City. It's the opinion of the wider world that gives credence to it.

    I'm also not making a judgement about "best" here. Popularity doesn't indicate what's best.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    And that's ignoring all the fake Scotsmen you tossed out there. Again I wasn't being elites about it, I was just noting how barbecue is integrated into and associated with Southern cuisine and the South in general.
    I haven't committed a No True Scotsman at all. I am not changing the definition of something here, pastrami or anything else. I am, mostly jokingly, saying that the regional styles are better when done somewhere else. That's not a No True Scotsman. They're still those regional styles and they still have the history of those regional styles. That's why I made sure to include the region when typing them and comparing them to those made in other cities. It's a misuse of the fallacy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    If you'd like another analogy, nobody disputes that Argentinian lobster or California spiny lobsters exist, or their flavor in comparison, but Maine lobster remains the headliner on the menus.
    I'm not saying those regional styles don't exist or that they're not well done where they're originally from so the analogy doesn't fit. If anything your analogy backs me up. Yeah all these regional styles exist but the headliners aren't those from the South outside the South which is a much larger area. They're Midwestern. Argentinian Lobster may be the talk of the town in Argentina and Memphis BBQ may be king in the South but the style the wider country (the US) and abroad use? Midwestern.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well there's your problem, you're ignoring the only civilized part: central Alabama!
    That wasteland?
    Last edited by Razade; 2020-11-15 at 09:52 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham. AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Except the South is only one small region compared to the rest of the world.
    That would be an excellent argument if I had ever said anything about the rest of the world. I've kept my argument pretty firmly rooted specifically to the USA, given how I've only referred to US states/regions and restricted all my claims to "nationally".
    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    I haven't committed a No True Scotsman at all. I am not changing the definition of something here, pastrami or anything else. I am, mostly jokingly, saying that the regional styles are better when done somewhere else. That's not a No True Scotsman. They're still those regional styles and they still have the history of those regional styles. That's why I made sure to include the region when typing them and comparing them to those made in other cities. It's a misuse of the fallacy.
    "You want a real, true, pastrami sandwich? You go to Cleveland." You're pretty much showcasing the textbook definition there.*

    Now, I suppose if you wanted, you could No True Scotsman on what exactly constitutes a No True Scotsman, but I don't think that would go terribly well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    I'm not saying those regional styles don't exist or that they're not well done where they're originally from so the analogy doesn't fit. If anything your analogy backs me up. Yeah all these regional styles exist but the headliners aren't those from the South outside the South which is a much larger area. They're Midwestern. Argentinian Lobster may be the talk of the town in Argentina and Memphis BBQ may be king in the South but the style the wider country (the US) and abroad use? Midwestern.
    Let me rephrase my claim. Barbecue is part of the cultural identity of the South. Further, barbecue is nationally famous for being part of the cultural identity of the South. Hawaii barbecue and California barbecue and anything else you may want to throw out has no bearing on this. Everyone in the nation knows about various Southern barbecue places regardless of their own styles, just as everyone in the nation knows about Maine lobster despite their own local lobster fisheries. This is what I originally meant, and if I've strayed outside of this at any point during this back-and-forth, I apologize for getting too caught up in the weeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    That wasteland?
    No no, you're thinking of North Alabama again.

    I should probably stop before Doug Lampert wants to come after me next time I head up there. I'd be pretty easy to find, they've only got a population of like 12 or something.




    *ETA: Also, shame on you for suggesting that anyone go to Cleveland.

    In every country, they make fun of city. In U.S., you make fun of Cleveland. In Russia, we also make fun of Cleveland. - YS
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-11-15 at 10:23 PM.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That would be an excellent argument if I had ever said anything about the rest of the world. I've kept my argument pretty firmly rooted specifically to the USA, given how I've only referred to US states/regions and restricted all my claims to "nationally".
    I also brought the US in. The South is still only a portion of the country.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    "You want a real, true, pastrami sandwich? You go to Cleveland." You're pretty much showcasing the textbook definition there.*

    Now, I suppose if you wanted, you could No True Scotsman on what exactly constitutes a No True Scotsman, but I don't think that would go terribly well.
    Seems like you're trying for it, best of luck to you.

    It's still not a No True Scotsman because I never said that nowhere else made a true pastrami sandwich nor did I disqualify your statement by ad hoc change the definition of what a true pastrami sandwich is. In the same paragraph (and before so the context is there) that they just did them better. Not that they're not actually the style or the thing itself. You need both those elements for a No True Scotsman fallacy, the ad hoc nature and the devaluing of another person's argument via a purity test.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Let me rephrase my claim. Barbecue is part of the cultural identity of the South. Further, barbecue is nationally famous for being part of the cultural identity of the South. Hawaii barbecue and California barbecue and anything else you may want to throw out has no bearing on this.
    If you want to talk about actual fallacies being made, you're doing pretty good moving the goal posts here. It still ignores Kansas City which you cannot argue is not a nationally recognized element of BBQ culture and isn't part of the South. If you want to change your argument to just the fact that BBQ is a well known cultural element of the South...sure. No argument here. That wasn't at all what we were discussing in the first place though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Everyone in the nation knows about various Southern barbecue places regardless of their own styles, just as everyone in the nation knows about Maine lobster despite their own local lobster fisheries. This is what I originally meant, and if I've strayed outside of this at any point during this back-and-forth, I apologize for getting too caught up in the weeds.
    I don't even think it was your original argument. If you want to catch me on using the word true in what was obviously a bit of hyperbolic silliness and try to accuse me of a fallacy (still isn't) then you're going to have to own up to having said

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    All I'm saying is all the places famous for barbecue (eg Texas, Memphis, etc) are in the South. Ain't nobody bragging on New Hampshire- or Michigan-style barbecue.
    That was your original argument. Except all the places famous for BBQ aren't in the South (Kansas City and St. Louis) as I've pointed out even before getting to places like Hawaii which frankly is famous for their BBQ nation wide. A Luau is BBQ, not just in style but in parlance and practice. The roast pig common to Luau weren't endemic to Hawaii, they were brought over by the British and the American influences of BBQ created the modern Luau when they blended with indigenous practices. The modern Luau is one of the most culturally identifiable elements of Hawaiian culture on the mainland. To say that it doesn't count, and I'm not saying you're saying it but if you are, is actually a no True Scotsman. If you're only counting Southern BBQ as BBQ you're in shooting distance with being engaged in the very fallacy you wrongfully accused me of.

    Fallacies though have nothing to do with food. Barbecue is still a cooking method more often than it is a specific food.
    Last edited by Razade; 2020-11-15 at 10:58 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham. AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    I also brought the US in. The South is still only a portion of the country.
    ...I never said it wasn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    It's still not a No True Scotsman because
    Mhm. "If you want a real, true thing" is not a real, true NTS for many varied reasons, I'm sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    If you want to talk about actual fallacies being made, you're doing pretty good moving the goal posts here.
    I fail to see how openly recanting on one line of the argument and rephrasing my original intent to be more clear is moving goalposts. It's been quite a long time since I've been shy on these boards about admitting that an argument does not work, abandoning that argument for that reason, and moving to a new argument that does work. Typically that's called "acknowledging that I was wrong and shifting my position due to that", though. If we want to start calling acknowledging that one was wrong "moving goalposts", I suspect debate will suffer for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    I don't even think it was your original argument. If you want to catch me on using the word true in what was obviously a bit of hyperbolic silliness and try to accuse me of a fallacy (still isn't) then you're going to have to own up to having said

    That was your original argument.
    Actually, this was my original argument:
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Barbecue isn't a food. It's a cooking method.
    In the South, you flip that around.
    And, as I said, I recanted going further on that and admitted I was wrong to do so. If you want, I can even make it all officialized: I recant going further on that, and I was wrong to do so.

    And you have yet to apologize for telling people to go to Cleveland.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-11-15 at 11:58 PM.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BisectedBrioche's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Some rainly old island
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: What foods do you really love?

    I have a deep, abiding love for croissants. Ideally served with coffee.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Metroid Prime (Mon/Wed) and Ace Attorney (Fri)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •