New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Default What foods do you really love?

This morning my friend made me a surprise breakfast, which consisted of the best and worst food existent -- mushroom and eggs. The mushrooms were quietly scraped somewhere.

But eggs. I have no idea why they taste so good, but scrambled, poached, fried, boiled, whites and yolk...perfect. Except for the smell sometimes, I guess. Cheese-egg quiche was a dish I had in Europe a few years back, and it was absolutely amazing.

Some others: cheese is also great. The more on pizza or pasta or anything, really, the better. Potato straws are amazing, even if I'm not sure on the right term.

Cherries and kiwis are delicious whenever they exist in a fruit salad.

What foods do you really love?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: What foods do you really love?

Exotic Sahale Pistachio, Muscle Milk, and Applesauce.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Dried mango if it contains nothing else
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Brie, but a nice soft cheese of most kinds will rarely fail to put me in a good mood.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Peanut butter is my crack.

Raspberries are also great. I like pretty much all berries equally though.

My comfort foods are chicken and dumplings, and spaghetti.

My mom's chicken dressing we eat around the holidays. I do all the cooking now, but it's her recipe. We pretty much unanimously agree it's the main course, and the ham is a delicious afterthought, but an afterthought nonetheless.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Clementines, especially when they're just ripe enough to be sweet but not squishy. We buy baskets of them at a time and I go through them like a combine harvester, especially now when I'm at home all the time with the lockdown.

We have a dish we make with cauliflower, chickpeas (or any mixed beans we can find in tins sitting around, really) and spices and it is fantastic. The more you make of it at one time the easier it is to measure the ingredients, and it fries from cold really, really well, so you get two or three meals for everyone from it.

Honourable mention to eating slices of pre-portioned feta cheese / mozzarella on their own, directly from the fridge.
    I draw, and I write sometimes! Drow paladin avatar by me. They/Them

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

(In no particular order):
    Sourdough bread,
    Swiss cheese,
    corned beef,
    tomatoes,
    olives,
    chocolate,
    curry,
    brown ale
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

8. - Top - End - #8

Lizardfolk

Sashimi. And by association Sushi.
    EDIT: I kid you not, seconds after posting this I got hungry for sushi. Dammit. 'nother three and a half hours till lunch...
    Last edited by Wizard_Lizard; 2020-06-28 at 05:01 PM.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I have a thing for nonsweet pastries. Quiche is one of my go tos if I'm doing real cooking (as opposed to thrown together half hour dishes), I adore empanadas, vegetable strudel, meat pies, spanikopita, gyoza, etc. This also extends to the very edge of what can be considered a pastry at all, like egg rolls and dumplings.

Basically if you take some combination of vegetables, meat, egg, and cheese, spice it a bit, and put it in dough then bake or fry the whole thing I'm probably going to love it. This dough might be pie dough, phyllo dough, bread dough, egg roll wrappers, etc., doesn't matter, I'm almost certainly on board.

Desert pastries are also fine, but they hover more around the "like okay" line than the "favorite food for the duration of me eating them" line.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

My favorite would be the Salmon Sashimi, hands down.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Popcorn, bacon, coffee. I like my food to smell amazing, the taste is more negotiable.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Love a bit of lamb karahi, myself. Could easily eat that every day.

13. - Top - End - #13

I'm pretty simple. I like potatoes.
    There are a great many ways to cook and consume potatoes that I enjoy.
    I also enjoy mushrooms, and the great many forms of meat.
    Mexican food is something I've come to enjoy.
    I'm pretty agreeable to most peoples tastes.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Oh goodness....
    If I had a list of foods I dislike the list of food I adore is even longer....

Mushrooms, Game Meats (venison, rabbit, turkey, and boar especially), A nice Sirloin, Lamb (esp leg, or shank, or stew/pie meats), Pork Tenderloin, Vinegar (Balsamic, Sushi, Cider, a bunch of flavored shrubs), a nice air cured ham (Iberico is particular fave as are Tamsworths), Potatoes (lean towoard mashed or baked and favor Yukons over reds or Russets but all (including Blue) have their place), Beets (slightly favor golden and black beets to the classic red but details details), Daikon, Parsnips, Peas (Snow, Sweet, Snap, English...love em all), Spinach, Cucumber, Mustard Greens, Cheese....so many cheeses, Teas...especially Russian, and Lapsang Souchong, Saba....okay Saba might be my favorite food in the world...I am told I act like I'm on MDMA if I have enough...bliss, Walnuts, Brazil Nuts, Almonds, Okara, Oatmeal (such a wonderful base), Lychee, Cluster Berries (Raspberries, Blackberries, etc), Blackcurrant, Anko (Sweet Red Bean Paste), Citrus of many types (less so Grapefruit or Citron but I still like those and Yuzu and Satsumas are bomb), Avocado (growing up in an avocado and citrus orchard may be showing), Mint, Basil, Shiso, Sage, Garlic, Shallots, Scallions, Saffron, Clove, Mace, A nice crepe (esp if made with the above core ingredients), Uni (if, and only if, very fresh...its a local specialty and I see why), Pate, Several kinds of seaweed, Oyster Sauce (in Chinese dishes), Teff, Chickpeas (whole, deep fried, hummus all of it), Honey Ants, Grasshopper, Honey, Sourdough, Plums, Olive Oil, Butter, Heinz Salad Cream (childhood based guilty pleasure but I totally love the stuff), Octopus (esp in sushi), Eel (Sushi, Pie, Jellied), Abalone, Dungeness Crab, Whitefish (Cod, Haddock, etc).....okay I'll stop now....

and I tend to like food where all the tastes are mashed up...sauces,stuffing, packet food (like a Cornish Pasty), pies, a hash, dim sum etc.

Okay...I really like food....A LOT...(may be slightly bouncing in my seat now just thinking about all the wonderful things to eat ).

EDIT: and spaghetti squash, and butternut squash, and green beans, and endive, lingonberries, and golden/cape gooseberries (esp with a sweetened cream), and dragonfruit, and CHERRYMOYA, and tamarind, .....
    okay okay I really should stop now.....

EDIT EDIT:
    and boar cheek, and kidney, and pastry (esp hot water pastry and suet), and scallops (how could I forget scallops!?!?!?), "Asian" pear (I'm fussy on this not a major fan of Anjou or Bartlets), Lemongrass, avocado oil,
    GAH....must stop
    Last edited by sktarq; 2020-07-06 at 03:55 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Lizardfolk

Actually tried haggis once, didn't know what it was made of. It was a while ago and I don't remember disliking it tho. Mildly tempted to try it again.
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

16. - Top - End - #16

GreenSorcererElf

Cholent/stew
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

There are so many delicious foods but I can tell you the one dish that made me happiest.

I was in Rome with my wife and ordered linguine with baby octopus. When the plate was placed in front of me, the aroma brought back every happy memory of my Mother and her kitchen.

It was heavenly!

Shout out to Antica Hostaria via di Ponte Sisto!
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Eggs truly are magical. Not only are they delicious in and of themselves, with so many ways to prepare them, they're also essential for their properties. You can bake without eggs or even an egg wash, you can fry something up without dipping it in egg first (and then your dry mix, of course), you can make a meringue without them...but it's hard to do, and in my opinion, it's usually lacking that je ne sais quoi. The quoi, I suppose, would be an egg, and that's un oeuf for me.

I generally dislike mushrooms, but I had the most delicious chanterelle soup before the recent apocalpyse. It made me realize how much it's a texture thing for me. I can enjoy mushrooms as an umami component of a dish, even if it's the main component, but that rubbery texture is a deal-breaker.

For some reason I have a weird gut-level disgust for substances like mayo or ranch or cream cheese, but yogurt (including tzatziki) doesn't ping the grossometer.

I could go on and on about my favorite tasty things, but I'm just gonna give a shout out to my man tomatoes. They're delicious raw (as long as they're not beefsteaks, which are only vaguely acceptable on a sandwich/burger/et c.), even better pickled, and are such a crucial component to so many dishes. When a savory dish is lacking something, it's usually acid, and tomato can be a great remedy to that.

I would also like to make a public service announcement on this subject: NEVER REFRIGERATE YOUR TOMATOES. The moment the core reaches a temperature of 50 degrees F, a reaction happens that makes the tomato bland and grainy. If you want to enjoy your tomatoes, always put them in the pantry, never in the fridge. Obviously, you're still welcome to freeze tomato sauce. This is more of a raw tomato deal.
    Last edited by Civis Mundi; 2020-07-09 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Why did I type Celsius?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll add 2 more things to the list:

the pho from the vietnamese cafe behind my place is excellent: giant portions, a healthy amount of sliced beef and vietnamese sausage, tons of green onions and normal onions and enough pepper and spices to wake me up like coffee never could and a hearty broth like none other. It's noisy slurp level good.

second would be my mum's meat pie: a pastry dough pie stuffed absolutely thick with beef, pork and rabbit meat, seasoned with onions, a healthy amiunt of black pepper, many herbs and salt to taste. served warm with butter and the thickest molasses you can buy.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh my gosh, I don't know where to start. I have so many foods that I love, I can't possibly name all or even most of them. But let me rattle off a few that spring to mind.

Gyros, particularly from this place by my parents' house. They heap on so much meat you feel guilty just looking at it. The meat's usually cooked just right (not at all dry), just the right amount of tzatziki, onion, and tomato, and with some excellent fries to go along with it. It's an absolute treat and I always love to go there when I can.

Pizza. Yes, it's an incredibly basic answer but it's true. Not from any of the major chains though, because they tend to range from bland to adequate. But there are a lot of local places in the Chicago area that have great thin crust, deep dish, and stuffed pizza. And there are so many different toppings that can be mixed in (except mushrooms, keep those the hell away from my pizza!).

Red beans & rice. I can literally make up a batch of these and just eat that for dinner 2 days in a row.

I have a pasta salad that I make for myself with tri-color rotini noodles, tomato, 2 (or more) kinds of olives, artichoke hearts, pesto, and parmesan. Sometimes I'll add other things just for variety, but that's the core recipe.

In terms of junk food, I used to love Hostess fruit pies. I say "used to" because it's the kind of food I can't eat very often anymore. Plus I always got a kick out of the cheesy advertisements in comic books (as well as the parody in OotS).
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I also love donuts and blueberry coffee.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Civis Mundi View Post
    Eggs truly are magical. Not only are they delicious in and of themselves, with so many ways to prepare them, they're also essential for their properties. You can bake without eggs or even an egg wash, you can fry something up without dipping it in egg first (and then your dry mix, of course), you can make a meringue without them...but it's hard to do, and in my opinion, it's usually lacking that je ne sais quoi. The quoi, I suppose, would be an egg, and that's un oeuf for me.

I generally dislike mushrooms, but I had the most delicious chanterelle soup before the recent apocalpyse. It made me realize how much it's a texture thing for me. I can enjoy mushrooms as an umami component of a dish, even if it's the main component, but that rubbery texture is a deal-breaker.

For some reason I have a weird gut-level disgust for substances like mayo or ranch or cream cheese, but yogurt (including tzatziki) doesn't ping the grossometer.

I could go on and on about my favorite tasty things, but I'm just gonna give a shout out to my man tomatoes. They're delicious raw (as long as they're not beefsteaks, which are only vaguely acceptable on a sandwich/burger/et c.), even better pickled, and are such a crucial component to so many dishes. When a savory dish is lacking something, it's usually acid, and tomato can be a great remedy to that.

I would also like to make a public service announcement on this subject: NEVER REFRIGERATE YOUR TOMATOES. The moment the core reaches a temperature of 50 degrees F, a reaction happens that makes the tomato bland and grainy. If you want to enjoy your tomatoes, always put them in the pantry, never in the fridge. Obviously, you're still welcome to freeze tomato sauce. This is more of a raw tomato deal.
    How do you keep them (tomatoes) from going bad?

Contributing to the topic....

Pistachio almond ice cream (or gelato)
    Blueberry pie (especially since its one of the five or six recipes that I've never replicated from my family, or for that matter, even managed to refind).
    Anything salmon.
    Eggs benedict.
    Sausage & cheese calzone.
    Pasta salad with feta, bell peppers, and olives.
    The beef brisket I used to have at xmas'es.
    Bread pudding.
    Thai green/red curries
    Ham & swiss cheese/blueberry croissants (have been really hard to find around here for years)
    French onion soup
    Anything lamb (I had a lamb meatball dish a while back that I loved).

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I also love donuts and blueberry coffee.
    Blueberry pancake syrup, or blueberry Italian soda syrup? I've never tried that, but since I have it around I put mint Italian soda syrup in my coffee sometimes and that's really good.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane_Secrets View Post
    Just use 'em. They're stable for like five days or so at normal (ie, air conditioned but not refrigerated) room temps, in my experience. If you can't use them that quickly, you're buying too many tomatoes or you need to start looking into ways to preserve them (pickling, canning, cooking into a sauce that handles being frozen/refrigerated better.)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

You eat them, of course! After about a week, you make whatever's left into tomato sauce (probably alongside canned tomatoes, tomato paste, et c.), which you can then refrigerate or freeze.

EDIT: Ninja'd by a stylish cactus. What a world.
    Last edited by Civis Mundi; 2020-07-14 at 01:50 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Blueberry pancake syrup, or blueberry Italian soda syrup? I've never tried that, but since I have it around I put mint Italian soda syrup in my coffee sometimes and that's really good.
    I didn't know there's such a thing as a blueberry pancake syrup and blueberry Italian soda syrup.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Pineapple pizza! : D Not sure why none of my friends feel the same way.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by clingydreamers View Post
    Pineapple pizza! : D Not sure why none of my friends feel the same way.
    I have...phases with pineapple on pizza sort of like anchovies on pizza (but I'm generally more pro-anchovy once I learned how to fix my own pasta puttanesca from scratch and the recipe requires it.)

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I didn't know there's such a thing as a blueberry pancake syrup and blueberry Italian soda syrup.
    I don't know if the latter exists, but yes, you can definitely get blueberry pancake syrup. Smuckers makes it. Or at least they used to.

30. - Top - End - #30

Lizardfolk

Gonna be basic and say chocolate
    Although specifically very dark chocolate.
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

That sight is dynamite.