New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Building steps for my deck

We are looking to remodel our back deck and a question came up that I was curious about. Each step is made of three boards adding up to a step about 10-11 inches in total width. Is there a reason steps are built this way? Im seeing videos with 1 piece of wood per step or two pieces and was wondering if there was an official reason for it. To clarify in case im confusing people steps like this
    Spoiler
    Show
    with two boards as opposed to a single slat.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Building steps for my deck

My guess is that's the particular width of wood that the contractor could get a good deal on.

The steps on my deck are made of two boards apiece, and this has led to problems because a person's weight often comes down on the outer board alone. I wish mine were a single slat apiece, but that's project #3479 on the home-repair list.

3. - Top - End - #3

BlackDragon

Either that, or it's done purely for aesthetics. It's reasonable to assume that wood becomes more expensive the wider you get it, though, because wider planks obviously have to come from bigger trees and so there's a more limited supply of them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    The steps on my deck are made of two boards apiece, and this has led to problems because a person's weight often comes down on the outer board alone.
    This could actually be the reason, the outer edge of the step is likely to be the part that gets the most wear, and if the steps are well designed that part could be relatively easy to replace (comapred to the entire step).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

That's a thought, although I'm not sure if most contractors are thinking that far ahead.

But I've had a lot of bad experiences with contractors.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    That's a thought, although I'm not sure if most contractors are thinking that far ahead.

But I've had a lot of bad experiences with contractors.
    Contractors, no, I agree that that is very unlikely. Designers? - it's possible, so I offer it as a lng-shot, but I still think it unlikely.

It depends whether the steps are contractor designed or a ready-made cut-to-fit model.

7. - Top - End - #7

So most likely a combo of cost and ease of replacement in the future? Thanks. I figured cost might factor into it but wasnt certain as I dont buy lots of lumber. :p The current steps are older than I am so no clue what they cost back 40 years ago or so.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Since a friend of mine carpented together a table for his outdoors over weekend while I was visiting a curious thing came up.

He was making sure the planks, as ever so slighty curved, were placed with the curve upwards so water would tend to drain off. Be easier with smaller pieces.

Think we hit on most reason in thread, it's not going to be just one reason, it will be many small experiences over centuries of building decks and steps. I doubt average contractor knows them, but they will probably benefit from it indirectly if nothing else. Like you get your decklumber, well usually lumbermills sells it specifically as a type, so certain dimensions, certain qualities and so on. And you probably read up on how a deck is supposed to be made. The contractor might not think of why usually XXX is done, but if following a "traditional" style e.g. I bet someone's ahrdwon experience went into it.

Wood is a "living" material too, the larger the pieces the more you notice when it moves over seasons.

But if I had to guess one reason it's mainly price.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

The two board horizontal allows for run off & quicker melting of snow/ice..?
    Fools are made to suffer, not to be suffered

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

The primary reason is almost sure to be cost. One board of width w is nearly always more expensive than two boards of width w/2, because the larger board has to be cut from a larger tree. Larger trees are rarer, and take longer to grow. They also require larger equipment to process. Since the stair isn't made significantly stronger by using a single piece tread, there's no reason to fork over the extra cash for a more expensive way to do exactly the same thing.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.